PDA

View Full Version : Jim Steele: One for us Oldies (NHC)

PapillonVert
04-09-2011, 08:38 PM
lJust got back from a few days down in ye old Cotswolds. Based in Moreton-on-Marsh. There is a pub there, The Black Bear, with football memorabilia on the walls, particularly relating to Southampton's 1976 FA Cup win over Man U.

Turns out the owner is a guy called Jim Steele, originally from Loanhead (but born in Leith as we found out). He played for Dundee in the 70s and then went down south, winning said FA Cup medal, and then finished his career in USA.

An old-fashioned centre-half.

Now running a pub down in ye old merrie England.

We had a great laugh with him - he recognised my Scottish accent and when hearing I am from Edinburgh said "Ye're no' a Hibby, are ye. 'Fraid so, Jim.

I think he actually quite liked our company because when we were watching Andy Murray's 5-setter and I kept saying, "Oh, come on Andy, get a grip, man", Jim said to all his group, "I'm going up to sit with them because they are supporting Andy" and so he came down to join us and we all got stuck in to supporting Andy. (And having a wee bevy, as you do).

No real point to this thread - just wanted to share a reminisce with Hi-bees of my vintage about a name from the past.

Jonnyboy
04-09-2011, 08:39 PM
Just got back from a few days down in ye old Cotswolds. Based in Moreton-on-Marsh. There is a pub there, The Black Bear, with football memorabilia on the walls, particularly relating to Southampton's 1976 FA Cup win over Man U.

Turns out the owner is a guy called Jim Steele, originally from Loanhead (but born in Leith as we found out). He played for Dundee in the 70s and then went down south, winning said FA Cup medal, and then finished his career in USA.

An old-fashioned centre-ha;f.

We had a great laugh with him - he recognised my Scottish accent and when hearing I am from Edinburgh said "Ye're no' a Hibby, are ye. 'Fraid so, Jim.

I think he actually quite liked our company because when we were watching Andy Murray's 5-setter and I kept saying, "Oh, come on Andy, get a grip, man", Jim said to all his group, "I'm going up to sit with them because they are supporting Andy" and so he came down to join us aand we all got stuck in to supporting Andy. (And having a wee bevy, as you do).

No real point to this thread - just wanted to share a reminisce with Hi-bees of my vintage about a name from the past.

Is he still a ginger, J? :greengrin

Was a big, no nonsense centre half by my recollection :agree:

PapillonVert
04-09-2011, 08:50 PM
Is he still a ginger, J? :greengrin

Was a big, no nonsense centre half by my recollection :agree:

I think it's what's known as a "silver crewcut", John.

We talked about the Hibbies, he remembered like Alan McGraw, Joe McBride, Paddy Stanton, Joe Baker.

Best laugh was when I asked him "but where were you actually born?" and he said "Leith" and I started singing "While the chief...". What used to be called in our day "banter". Just a basic good laugh, no bad feeling or anything like that. We enjoyed ourselves.

Jonnyboy
04-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I think it's what's known as a "silver crewcut", John.

We talked about the Hibbies, he remembered like Alan McGraw, Joe McBride, Paddy Stanton, Joe Baker.

Best laugh was when I asked him "but where were you actually born?" and he said "Leith" and I started singing "While the chief...". What used to be called in our day "banter". Just a basic good laugh, no bad feeling or anything like that. We enjoyed ourselves.

:thumbsup: Cannae beat it :agree:

PapillonVert
04-09-2011, 08:56 PM
:thumbsup: Cannae beat it :agree:

And Andy won. Hugh sigh of relief! When we turned up he was 6-7, 2-6 down. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
04-09-2011, 08:59 PM
And Andy won. Hugh sigh of relief! When we turned up he was 6-7, 2-6 down. :greengrin

Aye the boy gave him a bit of a fright right enough :shocked:

Plays again tonight but I understand his match won't be on until about midnight so I'll have to check the news in the morning :greengrin

ballengeich
04-09-2011, 09:11 PM
If my memory's right he formed a formidable central defence for Dundee beside Dod Stewart. Both better than a lot who've played for Scotland subsequently.

PapillonVert
04-09-2011, 09:21 PM
If my memory's right he formed a formidable central defence for Dundee beside Dod Stewart. Both better than a lot who've played for Scotland subsequently.

It would be hard to disagree wth that assessment.

JimBHibees
06-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Did he not also have a short period at the end of his career at Rangers? Vaguely remember that to be the case.
From what I remember he was hard as nails and not shy at giving it out a bit.:greengrin

Just checked Google a good write up about him and indeed he did play for Rangers for a whole 5 games in 1976. Think I need to get out more. :greengrin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Steele_(footballer)

brog
06-09-2011, 09:33 AM
lJust got back from a few days down in ye old Cotswolds. Based in Moreton-on-Marsh. There is a pub there, The Black Bear, with football memorabilia on the walls, particularly relating to Southampton's 1976 FA Cup win over Man U.

An old-fashioned centre-half.

I think he actually quite liked our company because when we were watching Andy Murray's 5-setter and I kept saying, "Oh, come on Andy, get a grip, man", Jim said to all his group, "I'm going up to sit with them because they are supporting Andy" and so he came down to join us and we all got stuck in to supporting Andy. (And having a wee bevy, as you do).

Great story! Yes Jim was a good player, played sweeper ( left footed ) for Saints behind a rugged centre half called Mel Blyth. I met Mel a couple of times, another good guy. There was a classic Colemanballs before the '76 final when the commentator, possibly DC said it was celebration time for Mel as his wife had given birth to their first child on the eve of the final. In fact, he added, it's a double celebration as they were married a month ago today!! One more memory from that day, Yams played Huns in Scottish final on same day & a scoreflash showing Huns 1-0 up came along bottom of screen before English final kicked off!! I'm sure it didn't spoil Jim's day even though he's a jambo.