PDA

View Full Version : Scotland short of strikers

Niffy
04-09-2011, 06:58 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14782670.stm

Quick, sell Gary O' to Rangers so he can get a game for Scotland !!

Bristolhibby
04-09-2011, 07:01 PM
S Fletcher and O'Connor, two strikers on form with International and Premiership experience.

Both currently doing nothing on Tuesday night.

J

stokesmessiah
04-09-2011, 07:01 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14782670.stm

Quick, sell Gary O' to Rangers so he can get a game for Scotland !!

Just clocked that too...he could always pick up the phone and sort out his differences with Fletcher ???

Onceinawhile
04-09-2011, 07:02 PM
If only there was a Scottish player regularly knocking the goals in. Possibly in the premiership. Oh well.

Matty_Jack04
04-09-2011, 07:05 PM
We only play 1 or zero how can he possibly be short

Westie1875
04-09-2011, 07:49 PM
This is where we see just how pathetic Harry is, he needs to call at least one striker into the squad, who better than Fletch or O'Connor?

PeterboroHibee
04-09-2011, 08:35 PM
Dont know why he hasnt given Goodwillie more of a chance in the last few games, the friendly especially was a good chance to get him on and some experience at international level. Now Scotland are down to the bare bones and only Naismith (who was absolute crap the other night) is his only really experienced option.

Despite Fletcher being Scotlands best striker (imo), neither him nor Levein are going to back down over the whole thing so cant see him getting a game. O'Connor has been scoring but sure Levein would rather try and find some English, lower league journeyman from League One or Two than give the opportunity to a non-OF SPL player.

SteveHFC
04-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Get Jamie Murphy called up! But Levein would rather play a 19 year old
Who has only made a handful of appreances for Celtic.

Goodwillie deserves a shot in Tuesday. But Levein will play Naismith upfront and Forrest in midfield
probably

The sooner the clown Is sacked the better.

SteveHFC
04-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Charlie Adam is out now. Forrest is a cert to start on Tuesday. Great :rolleyes:

ronaldo7
04-09-2011, 09:26 PM
Get Jamie Murphy called up! But Levein would rather play a 19 year old
Who has only made a handful of appreances for Celtic.

Goodwillie deserves a shot in Tuesday. But Levein will play Naismith upfront and Forrest in midfield
probably

The sooner the clown Is sacked the better.

Good shout. He's been playing well, and would be just as good if not better than Miller.

Brebners Bookie
04-09-2011, 09:36 PM
whether he would play or not levein has to sort out his handbags with fletch, the pettiness of it on both sides is embarrasing but levein as the management figure has to be the one to make the first move. But he is a clown so i dont think scotland's best striker will play under levein.

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:42 PM
David Goodwillie, Craig McKail-Smith or Chris Iwelumo are all much more likely to play than Levein calling up Fletcher or O'Connor...

Not that that's right.

Jonnyboy
04-09-2011, 09:43 PM
David Goodwillie, Craig McKail-Smith or Chris Iwelumo are all much more likely to play than Levein calling up Fletcher or O'Connor...

Not that that's right.

Injured

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:48 PM
Injured

He's still more likely to play than O'Connor or Fletcher :greengrin

Jonnyboy
04-09-2011, 09:49 PM
He's still more likely to play than O'Connor or Fletcher :greengrin

:greengrin

Posh Swanny
05-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Injured

Indeed. My "Judas" trip down the M8 to sit (quietly) in the stands with the Auld Enemy will have to wait!

Cabbage East
05-09-2011, 11:06 AM
I'm sure there's an obscure journeyman playing in the Championship in England he can call up.

SteveHFC
05-09-2011, 01:00 PM
Goodwillie is set to start tomorrow

brog
05-09-2011, 04:33 PM
whether he would play or not levein has to sort out his handbags with fletch, the pettiness of it on both sides is embarrasing but levein as the management figure has to be the one to make the first move. But he is a clown so i dont think scotland's best striker will play under levein.

I think the pettiness is on HP's side only. From memory Fletch only asked not to be considered for the friendly against the Faroes. HP has effectively said ever since that Fletch needs to apologise & has tried to pretend that Fletch has said he's unavailable going forward. Right now Scotland need Fletch more than he needs the national team. If Levein was a real man manager he would find a way round this but what do you expect from a petty clown who takes the huff & walks out of a TV studio when ( rightly ) asked about his infamous 4-6-0 formation.

Jim44
05-09-2011, 04:50 PM
Potter says he won't have to bring in any other players as all positions are covered. Well that's reassuring.:rolleyes:

Broken Gnome
05-09-2011, 04:54 PM
Potter says he won't have to bring in any other players as all positions are covered. Well that's reassuring.:rolleyes:

Almost quite pleasing that his nonsense-refusal to include Lee Wallace came back to bite him up the @rse.

Think I've reached the stage of not totally unreasonable bias that every single word he says me want to beat him over the head with Danny Wilson.

Westie1875
05-09-2011, 05:39 PM

So, if Goodwillie gets injured in the warm up what do we do?

Naismith would be the only striker left in the squad and he plays most of his football in midfield, pathetic situation to be in and totally unnecessary.

Beefster
05-09-2011, 05:47 PM
I think the pettiness is on HP's side only. From memory Fletch only asked not to be considered for the friendly against the Faroes. HP has effectively said ever since that Fletch needs to apologise & has tried to pretend that Fletch has said he's unavailable going forward. Right now Scotland need Fletch more than he needs the national team. If Levein was a real man manager he would find a way round this but what do you expect from a petty clown who takes the huff & walks out of a TV studio when ( rightly ) asked about his infamous 4-6-0 formation.

Potter is, rightly, taking the attitude that no player is bigger than the national side and that you either want to play for your country or you don't - you don't get to pick and choose the games that you fancy taking part in.

Potter doesn't want an apology as far as his media utterances are to be believed - he just wants Fletcher to state that he wants to be considered again.

leither17
05-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Potter is, rightly, taking the attitude that no player is bigger than the national side and that you either want to play for your country or you don't - you don't get to pick and choose the games that you fancy taking part in.

Potter doesn't want an apology as far as his media utterances are to be believed - he just wants Fletcher to state that he wants to be considered again.

he never gave fletch a sniff when he was in the squad he went with the likes of jamie mackie

Bayern Bru
05-09-2011, 06:25 PM
So Levein is right to carry on acting like a petulant schoolboy because Fletcher won't apologise for asking to miss a friendly and beg to be called up again, yet he was perfectly happy to go crawling back to clowns like McGregor and Ferguson and beg them to play for Scotland?

Dear dear. The man is a fool.

leither17
05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
So Levein is right to carry on acting like a petulant schoolboy because Fletcher won't apologise for asking to miss a friendly and beg to be called up again, yet he was perfectly happy to go crawling back to clowns like McGregor and Ferguson and beg them to play for Scotland?

:top marks

The 4-6-0 proved that i have never seen that system anywhere ever before

Beefster
05-09-2011, 06:44 PM
he never gave fletch a sniff when he was in the squad he went with the likes of jamie mackie

Aw well, Fletcher is quite right to try to pick and choose his games then.

How is stating a reasonable position, sticking to it and then not mentioning again in public unless asked acting like a 'petulant schoolboy'?

I'm no Potter fan but the stick that he gets for trying to restore some pride to playing for Scotland and not let players take the piss is ridiculous.

Broken Gnome
05-09-2011, 06:46 PM
On another note, what hard to breach SPL defence supplies three of Scotland's back four tonight? You'll never guess....

Bayern Bru
05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
Aw well, Fletcher is quite right to try to pick and choose his games then.

How is stating a reasonable position, sticking to it and then not mentioning again in public unless asked acting like a 'petulant schoolboy'?

I'm no Potter fan but the stick that he gets for trying to restore some pride to playing for Scotland and not let players take the piss is ridiculous.

Not letting players take the piss? What about McGregor and Ferguson's antics, boozing and then the gestures? Lighthearted japery?

Maybe petulant schoolboy was a bit much but it's making a mockery of 'restoring some pride in playing for Scotland' if he begs those two to come back after boozing and making obscene gestures, yet lambasts Fletcher for asking to miss a friendly and refuses to include him until he apologises, surely?

Beefster
05-09-2011, 07:00 PM
Not letting players take the piss? What about McGregor and Ferguson's antics, boozing and then the gestures? Lighthearted japery?

You do know that Levein wasn't the manager at the time, right?

Bayern Bru
05-09-2011, 07:34 PM

Yes, thanks.

Why should it make any difference? They were given a lifetime ban.

Jonnyboy
05-09-2011, 09:38 PM

That's true but it was CL that brought them back in wasn't it?

I actually quite like the way he is trying to restore the pride and the passion but he did himself major harm in playing that 4-6-0 formation and then defending it rather than being honest and saying he tried it but it didn't work

Seveno
05-09-2011, 09:49 PM
He also refused to play Fletch because he wasn't getting a regular game for Wolves. Yet he picked Darren Fletcher for Saturday when he hadn't played a competitive game for a year.

He clearly is biased against Fletch - wonder why ?

clerriehibs
05-09-2011, 09:52 PM
That's true but it was CL that brought them back in wasn't it?

I actually quite like the way he is trying to restore the pride and the passion but he did himself major harm in playing that 4-6-0 formation and then defending it rather than being honest and saying he tried it but it didn't work

It's an oft repeated statement that levein is restoring the pride and the passion, but it's been obvious in its omission in the games that actually count.

And I'm still not convinced that anyone can passionately play for Scotland when he grew up supporting England.

Jonnyboy
05-09-2011, 09:55 PM
It's an oft repeated statement that levein is restoring the pride and the passion, but it's been obvious in its omission in the games that actually count.

And I'm still not convinced that anyone can passionately play for Scotland when he grew up supporting England.

Hence my use of the word "trying" :greengrin

Septimus
06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
He also refused to play Fletch because he wasn't getting a regular game for Wolves. Yet he picked Darren Fletcher for Saturday when he hadn't played a competitive game for a year.

He clearly is biased against Fletch - wonder why ?

Kicks with his left foot.