PDA

View Full Version : Stuart Lovell

MWHIBBIES
04-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Great guy. Took 6/7 programs ( including mine ) and got the legends team to sign them all. Also signed every single autograph asked of him. :top marks

fife hfc
04-09-2011, 05:06 PM
My son got his programme signed by them all and I got my six -two programme signed by Latapy (only player I never got to sign it) after Stuart sought him out especially Very happy now thanks to Stuart.

keep the faith
04-09-2011, 10:00 PM
And he played well and scored a cracker.

Good to see you on the park again Archie!

Stevie Reid
06-09-2011, 09:03 AM
Turned out to be a superb signing for us when Alex McLeish moved him back to midfield, a really intelligent player who scored some great goals for us. Always got the impression that he probably had a bit too much to say for himself from a manager's point of view, but letting him go when he did was a big mistake by McLeish - was painful to watch him operating as a midfield general when Livi finished 3rd in the same season that we floundered in bottom 6.

Engels74
06-09-2011, 09:18 AM
I played a charity match with Stuart as a team mate and he's a top bloke!!:agree:
Gave up his time to play and was really down to earth, friendly and was just one of the lads. extremely helpful on the pitch giving encouragement to everyone.

As much as i enjoyed De la Cruz and his derby goals, i always thought that Lovell was unlucky to be replaced as he did a good job for us! sometimes you don't know what your got until its gone!

brog
06-09-2011, 09:23 AM
He was outstanding against us in the painful Livi League Cup final. He also stepped in & calmed things down when some Hibs players, notably Broonie - shock, were losing the plot. Another 6-2 legend & it appears another great guy!

patlowe
06-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Another 6-2 legend & it appears another great guy!

I reckon one of the main factors behind that side's success was the number of big personalities in the squad. Sauzee, Mixu, Latapy, Lovell, Jack etc, I can't think of anyone we've had in recent years who have had a smidgen of their character or class on and off the field.

KeithTheHibby
06-09-2011, 10:29 AM
Turned out to be a superb signing for us when Alex McLeish moved him back to midfield, a really intelligent player who scored some great goals for us. Always got the impression that he probably had a bit too much to say for himself from a manager's point of view, but letting him go when he did was a big mistake by McLeish - was painful to watch him operating as a midfield general when Livi finished 3rd in the same season that we floundered in bottom 6.

He may have actually fallen out with McLeish at some point during the 6-2 season.

When we played Celtic in the SC final I am pretty sure Lovell was dropped for Ian Murray ironically enough.

Top bloke though and was chatting away to all on Sunday.

marinello59
06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
He may have actually fallen out with McLeish at some point during the 6-2 season.

When we played Celtic in the SC final I am pretty sure Lovell was dropped for Ian Murray ironically enough.

Lovell was dropped for that final, a decision that still has me baffled.

Stevie Reid
06-09-2011, 10:45 AM

Yeah, him losing his place to Ian on that day was a major surprise.

I met him in the Assembly Rooms in 1998 during our promotion season, was really happy to chat, and offered to buy me a drink several times - seemed really, really sound and very genuine.

I also have a copy of the Players' Cut of the Inside Easter Road video somewhere in the house - very interesting viewing.

smurf
06-09-2011, 10:57 AM
He definitely took his exit from ER badly. Think he upset a few of us with his press comments when at Livy etc.

In the GJP side many thought he was the necessary weak link in an excellent side.

roondheid
06-09-2011, 11:05 AM
I also have a copy of the Players' Cut of the Inside Easter Road video somewhere in the house - very interesting viewing.

I uploaded IER onto Youtube mate.

Stevie Reid
06-09-2011, 11:09 AM
I uploaded IER onto Youtube mate.

:aok:

Aubenas
06-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Always thought there should be a role for him at Easter Rd. With his media training and experience and fan-friendly approach, his expertise could go a long way towards ensuring better club - fan relationships and better press coverage. It would be worth the expense of another wage for the improvement in atmospohere and communication, which would surely lead to more ticket sales.
The Hibs backroom scene lacks effervescence - sparky folk who get the fanbase enthused. That's not a pop at CC, not everyone is media friendly and God knows, Yogi was good enough at talking, but we don't have anyone on the board or backstage who can engage the media and give an upbeat message. SL and FH are trying with the YouTube interviews, but at the end of the day they are suits giving a measured corporate message - as they have to. We need a natural communicator with a bit of humour to talk up the club and get people positive. That's not to ignore results or pretend things are wonderful all the time, but to engage viewers or listeners, make them notice Hibs - rather than a succession of measured statements and negative press reports. For all the efforts being put into marketing, we lack that kind of figure. Step forward Archie!

patlowe
06-09-2011, 11:50 AM
Always thought there should be a role for him at Easter Rd. With his media training and experience and fan-friendly approach, his expertise could go a long way towards ensuring better club - fan relationships and better press coverage. It would be worth the expense of another wage for the improvement in atmospohere and communication, which would surely lead to more ticket sales.
The Hibs backroom scene lacks effervescence - sparky folk who get the fanbase enthused. That's not a pop at CC, not everyone is media friendly and God knows, Yogi was good enough at talking, but we don't have anyone on the board or backstage who can engage the media and give an upbeat message. SL and FH are trying with the YouTube interviews, but at the end of the day they are suits giving a measured corporate message - as they have to. We need a natural communicator with a bit of humour to talk up the club and get people positive. That's not to ignore results or pretend things are wonderful all the time, but to engage viewers or listeners, make them notice Hibs - rather than a succession of measured statements and negative press reports. For all the efforts being put into marketing, we lack that kind of figure. Step forward Archie!

Can't argue with that.

Thecat23
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
Archie is a great guy, I used to go drinking with Him and kenny when Hibs would have the wed off. He loves a good story!! Thought alot of Hibs but didn't think to much of McLeish at the end. One of the funniest nicest guys in football... But just don't ask him to get his guitar out, you won't get away from him!!!!

I also agree with one of the above posts that Hibs would not be able to get a better guy in for the media work and show fans around ER on match days etc.. :agree:

Albion Hibs
06-09-2011, 12:00 PM
Good stories. I think all of the legends that turned up seemed to fully embrace the occasion and be up fo having a good laugh and plenty of interaction with the crowd. Glad to hear they were working hard on the programme signing front, managed to get more than a few on mine and it will no doubt be making its way into a frame and getting put up along side a few others pulled together over the years.

KWJ
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
I thought he did well for us a striker at Hibs in the first division season too. Scored a lot of goals the most memorable for me being the two he scored at Airdrie in a 4-1 or 4-2 win.

Did he expect a pay rise or he was only offered a poorer deal? Was a shame the way he left, was one of my favourite players.

patlowe
06-09-2011, 12:18 PM
In addition to what I was saying earlier in the thread about big characters in the hibs side Lovell played in, there seemed to be a connection forged between the players and fans that no longer seems to happen. Is this because the players don't carry themselves the same way and command the same respect now or is it because they tend to be rank?

heretoday
06-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Lovell is vice-captain of the Hibs Brainy XI, headed by Alan Gordon of the brainless boots.

SkintHibby
06-09-2011, 03:57 PM
I walked past him in Livingston when he played for Livingston and asked him to come back to Hibs. He gave me a huge grin and said "Would love to mate!". Top guy in my opinion.:agree:

GreenCastle
06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
I reckon one of the main factors behind that side's success was the number of big personalities in the squad. Sauzee, Mixu, Latapy, Lovell, Jack etc, I can't think of anyone we've had in recent years who have had a smidgen of their character or class on and off the field. Agreed - Lovell was one of these players who was under rated at the time in the team. Players like Matty Jack and Lovell were key parts to the team for a few seasons - the issue was we had such good quality in Mixu, Sauzee and Latapy - but players like Matty Jack and Lovell were your Ray Parlour / Darren Fletcher types who graft all day but don't always look the best on the ball but are so important to make teams succeed.

Peevemor
06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
I thought he did well for us a striker at Hibs in the first division season too. Scored a lot of goals the most memorable for me being the two he scored at Airdrie in a 4-1 or 4-2 win.

Did he expect a pay rise or he was only offered a poorer deal? Was a shame the way he left, was one of my favourite players.

Hibs made him an offer but Livi offered more, even though they couldn't afford it - a bit like Dunfermline with Brewster.

Cropley10
06-09-2011, 08:22 PM

Great idea. Met him a few times too and totally agree he's a top bloke :aok:

Gala Foxes
07-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Had a beer with him, Latapy and Hughes after bumping in to them in Deacon Brodies 3 days after the Millennium Derby win at Tynecastle.

Nice guy & good chat

CFC
09-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Tangenital to the point of thread but pre Hibs remember him well for his spell at Reading, formed a prolific partnership with Jimmy Quinn in a team that almost went up to the Prem via the playoffs. Was a Mark Mcghee signing iirc.

patlowe
09-09-2011, 11:05 AM
Tangenital to the point of thread but pre Hibs remember him well for his spell at Reading, formed a prolific partnership with Jimmy Quinn in a team that almost went up to the Prem via the playoffs. Was a Mark Mcghee signing iirc.

Sounds painful!

LancashireHibby
09-09-2011, 11:06 AM

Yes McGhee signed him. Reading lost in the play off final in 1995 against a Bolton side that included Mixu, Alan Stubbs and Owen Coyle. And what a fine game it was that day :wink: :thumbsup:

givescotlandfreedom
09-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Good guy and has a brain in his heid too. Is funny in this too
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-o6IM4-OE_g

CFC
09-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes McGhee signed him. Reading lost in the play off final in 1995 against a Bolton side that included Mixu, Alan Stubbs and Owen Coyle. And what a fine game it was that day :wink: :thumbsup:And Jason Mcateer, yeah was at that game Archie missed a penalty just before half time when Reading were 2 up which may have killed the game off. Think Reading had the ex soapdodger Darius ? in defence too.

LancashireHibby
09-09-2011, 02:46 PM
And Jason Mcateer, yeah was at that game Archie missed a penalty just before half time when Reading were 2 up which may have killed the game off. Think Reading had the ex soapdodger Darius ? in defence too.

Great save from Keith Branagan for the penalty. Yes, I can still name that entire Bolton side :wink:

CFC
09-09-2011, 04:32 PM
Good stuff LH, am I right in thinking Bryan Robson was your gaffer? Cant have been but it rings a bell

LancashireHibby
09-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Good stuff LH, am I right in thinking Bryan Robson was your gaffer? Cant have been but it rings a bell

It was Bruce Rioch - he left for Arsenal barely a month after earning promotion. Was replaced by the horrendous joint manager partnership (remember when they were all the rage?!) of Roy McFarland and Colin Todd, with McFarland gone by Christmas.

CFC
09-09-2011, 04:45 PM
Oh yeah, he bought Bergkamp that summer.