PDA

View Full Version : John Collins, Craig Brewster and Russell Latapy (merged)

fife hfc
04-09-2011, 03:37 PM
Why he gave up playing early I'll never know. What a class act and could still grace the SPL, has the awarness and skill to compete. That was the second time I have seen him in the last year and easily stands out.

Big Frank
04-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Petrie out, JC in.

Westie1875
04-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Said the same at the match, still got it.

fife hfc
04-09-2011, 03:46 PM
For one of the goals hos combination play woth Russell was sublime and shows football brains will always over come brawn. In the same move Vierea was made to look very ordinary.

Golden Bear
04-09-2011, 03:48 PM
Petrie out, JC in.

:agree:

The Tache just ain't good enough for a midfield position.

skipster7
04-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Why he gave up playing early I'll never know. What a class act and could still grace the SPL, has the awarness and skill to compete. That was the second time I have seen him in the last year and easily stands out.
his goal was a peach as well:greengrin

shamo9
04-09-2011, 04:02 PM
They've still got it:aok:

While it was great to see Fletcher and Shiels back at Easter Road, it was the vintage players that really shown through. Screamer by John Collins from about 30 yards, he looked sharper than anyone in our midfield last week and deserved MOM. Brewster kept the ball well and found his team mates 99% of the time, oh how we miss having a striker that likes to play back to goal. Latapy's tricks are always a delight, with the personal highlight being when he turned Viera inside out for a counter attack.

From the current Hibs team I suppose, even for a testimonial, it was disappointing to see how heavily we rely on O'Connor and Sproule to provide a cutting edge for anything and everything. A bright note for me though was how hungry Martin Scott looked despite the occasion. He was still flying into tackles, making runs out wide and quite prepared to have a go from anywhere. He's the first midfielder we've had since Brown who genuinely has a bit of fire in the belly. When you add in the fact that he's got a great finish and delivery from set pieces, then for me he has to be considered the first midfielder on the team sheet for the Aberdeen game. Took his goals very well and knocked Collins onto his backside a couple of times.

Overall I'm happy that Ian Murray got a memorable game for his testimonial, although the less said about his 'penalty' the better:wink:. Hilarious moment when he signalled Pat Stanton to get that "bloody goalkeeper hooked" right after.

blairwallace
04-09-2011, 04:18 PM
Latapy with number 62 on his back :top marks

Alfred E Newman
04-09-2011, 04:26 PM
Next management team? :drool:

SteveHFC
04-09-2011, 04:36 PM
Can we offer Brewster a contract. Till the end of the season :greengrin

Big Frank
04-09-2011, 05:01 PM
:agree:

The Tache just ain't good enough for a midfield position.

:greengrin

or a board room position

DaveF
04-09-2011, 05:08 PM
They've still got it:aok:

While it was great to see Fletcher and Shiels back at Easter Road, it was the vintage players that really shown through. Screamer by John Collins from about 30 yards, he looked sharper than anyone in our midfield last week and deserved MOM. Brewster kept the ball well and found his team mates 99% of the time, oh how we miss having a striker that likes to play back to goal. Latapy's tricks are always a delight, with the personal highlight being when he turned Viera inside out for a counter attack.

From the current Hibs team I suppose, even for a testimonial, it was disappointing to see how heavily we rely on O'Connor and Sproule to provide a cutting edge for anything and everything. A bright note for me though was how hungry Martin Scott looked despite the occasion. He was still flying into tackles, making runs out wide and quite prepared to have a go from anywhere. He's the first midfielder we've had since Brown who genuinely has a bit of fire in the belly. When you add in the fact that he's got a great finish and delivery from set pieces, then for me he has to be considered the first midfielder on the team sheet for the Aberdeen game. Took his goals very well and knocked Collins onto his backside a couple of times.

Overall I'm happy that Ian Murray got a memorable game for his testimonial, although the less said about his 'penalty' the better:wink:. Hilarious moment when he signalled Pat Stanton to get that "bloody goalkeeper hooked" right after.

Did he take it with his right foot?

RickyS
04-09-2011, 05:15 PM
Can we offer Brewster a contract. Till the end of the season :greengrin

thought he played well today. it still hurts that we never offered him a deal and he went to dunfermline.
we could do a lot worse than sign him up! i wondered if he would follow derek adams down the road when he came.

shamo9
04-09-2011, 05:18 PM
Did he take it with his right foot?

Considering how tame the shot was, probably. He didn't take a run up and hit it low and not so hard slightly to the right. When we won the second penalty he was like 'don't even think about asking me' when the keeper goaded him.

Basically it took the phrase 'his legs have gone' to new heights :wink:

Calvin
04-09-2011, 05:25 PM
his goal was a peach as well:greengrin

Just saw it again on Sky Sports News, was a belter!

I thought Brewster was MOM today though, good goals and spot on passing and vision.

Baldy Foghorn
04-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Very fit man, silky player and a fabulous goal..... I think I love him....:greengrin

Viva_Palmeiras
04-09-2011, 06:12 PM
Thought Viera and Pires were pretty ordinary today. Unremarkable.

Although I suppose that in itself is remarkable :)

Baldy Foghorn
04-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Never ever thought I would see Vieira, to Stevenson to Pires.... Magic stuff

Springbank
04-09-2011, 06:18 PM
Very fit man, silky player and a fabulous goal..... I think I love him....:greengrin at last, a thread today about what my club is good at. . .lets talk skill, entertainment, football. Well done ian murray et al for putting on a show. The less said about fans and managers the better. Mon the Hibeeees

NaeTechnoHibby
04-09-2011, 06:49 PM
Great day out :thumbsup:

Collins was different class and deserved MOM in my opinion :not worth

He was the puppet master and pulled all the strings today :agree:

Nice of the wee magician to miss though :greengrin:not worth

The three listed above would still get a game at most SPL and certainly SFL clubs, not maybe 90 minutes (RL excepted... he needs fag breaks :greengrin) :agree:

I wisnae going until 6pm last night..................Colllins and Latapy swayed me :not worth

col02
04-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Definitely should look into getting a Scottish veterans league up and running imho similiar to the masters tournaments as there is a lot of quality players out there who could as they showed today still turn it on and entertain the crowds! Loved how Collins and Latapy linked up with their intelligent passing and in Brewster they had an option to hold the ball up and bring the midfield into play.

GodisaHibee
04-09-2011, 07:09 PM
The two fittest guys on the park today were Collins and Brewster. It's a ridiculous comment to make when we have all the facilities...blah, blah, and I know it was a friendly, testimonial, but I think they really showed what you need. Consummate professionals both (and Yogi).

Was great to see so many guys back to Easter Road, but for me; the laddie Smith looks good, and the laddie (this is where I will get slagged for not knowing) at 19? shaping up, in my humble opine, to be a Gary O.

LOVED to see Jimmy Boco there and what a job he's doing with some silly laddie called Vieira on the charity front. Ace guys.

Was interested to see Yogi play against some of his ex's; will say no more.

Could have been embarrassing for the '1st' team today!

God forgive Me I forgot; HOW good was it to see Latapy back at ER and command the Midfield? I cried.

Leith_Hibee
04-09-2011, 07:21 PM
Too much being said about the current Hibs team today, it was a bounce game FFS!!

Pleased for Ian that he had a testimonial and it was played in a good manner and was very entertaining, some old faces clearly delighted to have a run out on the hallowed turf!! JC was different class.

I was really disappointed with the crowd, the boy has given us 10 years service.

MWHIBBIES
04-09-2011, 07:37 PM
Did anyone see Yogi pulling Crawford's shorts down??

Sorry I know its a bit OT but wasn't sure where to post it.

mim
04-09-2011, 07:49 PM
A very enjoyable day, but please don't imagine for a moment that the 'oldies' would still be able to hack it in the modern game.

Collins is remarkably fit for his age, Latapy will never lose his skill and vision and Brewster is still a bruiser with an exceptional knowledge of the 'target man' role, but they would only be allowed to show their abilities in a 'no tackling' bounce game like this.

Interesting to note that Scott and Kano could not change their naturally aggressive style. :wink:

A great day, but please let's keep things in perspective.

(Can we have Fletcher back please?) :greengrin

NadeAteMyLunch!
04-09-2011, 07:50 PM
Walked out my flat about 6.30pm and there was wee Russell standing 10 yards from my door!! Had a great chat with him, felt like a wee boy again getting my photo taking with him! Absolute hero as I was growing up. Said it was great to be back but "Really disappointing how Hibs are performing at the moment and a real shame more fans didnt turn up for Ian"

fife hfc
04-09-2011, 07:58 PM
A very enjoyable day, but please don't imagine for a moment that the 'oldies' would still be able to hack it in the modern game.

Collins is remarkably fit for his age, Latapy will never lose his skill and vision and Brewster is still a bruiser with an exceptional knowledge of the 'target man' role, but they would only be allowed to show their abilities in a 'no tackling' bounce game like this.

Interesting to note that Scott and Kano could not change their naturally aggressive style. :wink:

Brewster and Latapy could not hack it but I believe Collins could easily walkintoany midfield in the SPL. He is strong and skillful and as you say super fit.Yes teams would try to bully him but his first touch and footballintelligence would leave some SPL players looking very silly.

keep the faith
04-09-2011, 08:28 PM

I genuinely believe Collins could still play in the SPL. Without a doubt.

He as as fit as he was when he played and still has the brain and the strength. Quite incredible.

sadtom
04-09-2011, 10:14 PM
For one of the goals hos combination play woth Russell was sublime and shows football brains will always over come brawn. In the same move Vierea was made to look very ordinary.

Clearly not a philosophy our manager shares. Unfortunately.

I'd kill to see a current squad member with the touch and vision of RL & JC.
As for CB if there is a better current centre forward in the SPL at playing with his back to goal i haven't seen him. Positioning, touch and distribution bring others into the game was an education for our current players.

As for them playing now? Nah. RL isnt nearly fit enough, though he would still have a few inspired moments.
JC and CB are possibly in good enough condition, allied to the abilty, brains and experiance, to play in the SPL. But only if it was no contact.
Ye cannae take the knocks at that age. 1st stiff challenge would probably do it. A dunt that you probably didnt even notice and ran off in your teens and twenties would be enough to at the very least make you hobble or slow you down to a walk. Still it was good to see them doing the biz in todays more sedate tempo.
Glad i went with my lads. Nice to be able to show them players they had only previously heard about and also to see Paddy and Boab in a Hibs shirt, even if their performance was only neat and tidy if unspetacular.

One thing is for sure Kevin Thomshun should keep his yap shut. JC is still far and away the best ever player from Gala.
Katie, ye couldnae lace JC's boots far less hit a strike like that today. What a goal.

Sir David Gray
04-09-2011, 11:23 PM
John Collins is only 43 years old. Yes, that's still a lot older than the vast majority of professional footballers but his performance today was very impressive. I know it was a non-competitive bounce game but his passing, his touch and his vision were all excellent and I think he could still make it at a pretty high level in the Scottish game. Probably not the SPL any more but certainly in the lower leagues.

And what a hit for his goal. :agree:

SteveHFC
04-09-2011, 11:27 PM
Jimmy Boco is 47. :top marks

Makaveli
04-09-2011, 11:29 PM
Never mind 43 - JC at 60 will be fitter than 80% of the SPL, and it's sad that I mean that! He is, was, and forever will be immense. :not worth

Houchy
05-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Never mind 43 - JC at 60 will be fitter than 80% of the SPL, and it's sad that I mean that! He is, was, and forever will be immense. :not worth

Absolutely. He tried to stamp (probably the wrong word) his influence on the Hibs team (for the betterIMHO) in the same way that Polly Gwen tried to change Rangers but both were hounded out as they were fighting a losing battle trying to improve fitness levels.

I watched the Swindon v Rotherham match at the weekend and the commentator had said that some of the players had gone to the chairman saying that training was too physical and that they had to train twice a day. The commentator nearly fell of his seat and said "They're supposed to be professional athletes for goodness sake!!!"

Sound familiar.

Neither Polly Gwen or John Collins were not bad managers IMHO, just that Scottish football/lifestyle was not ready for either of their fitness ideas.

LeithBoozy
05-09-2011, 11:21 AM
# I remember when JC had taken the team abroad ,before the cup final with Killie. There was a row, because some players wanted a bevy, which JC would not entertain.:rolleyes:

Betty Boop
05-09-2011, 12:02 PM
Very fit man, silky player and a fabulous goal..... I think I love him....:greengrin

Me too ! :love ya!:

KeithTheHibby
05-09-2011, 12:13 PM
While I seriously doubt we will ever see JC or Russell back at ER in any capacity I do think those two lads talents should be utilised by the SFA in some shape or form.

ancient hibee
05-09-2011, 05:10 PM
When I was a kid at Crossroads Boys Club Alan Anderson and John Greig used to come in for training at night because it was better than they had at their pro'clubs.

GreenCastle
05-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Absolutely. He tried to stamp (probably the wrong word) his influence on the Hibs team (for the betterIMHO) in the same way that Polly Gwen tried to change Rangers but both were hounded out as they were fighting a losing battle trying to improve fitness levels.

I watched the Swindon v Rotherham match at the weekend and the commentator had said that some of the players had gone to the chairman saying that training was too physical and that they had to train twice a day. The commentator nearly fell of his seat and said "They're supposed to be professional athletes for goodness sake!!!"

Sound familiar.

Neither Polly Gwen or John Collins were not bad managers IMHO, just that Scottish football/lifestyle was not ready for either of their fitness ideas.

We never should have got rid of JC - what follows is history..:rolleyes:

Peevemor
05-09-2011, 05:39 PM
We never should have got rid of JC - what follows is history..:rolleyes:

What - a string of Hibs managers struggling to get rid of his crap signings?

The Falcon
05-09-2011, 05:53 PM

And he's so highly thought of that he is linked with every high profile job when it becomes available. :rolleyes:

CRAZYHIBBY
05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
are there any highlights of the match anywhere?

The Falcon
05-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Sound familiar.

No it dosent.

Bayern Bru
05-09-2011, 08:18 PM
The two fittest guys on the park today were Collins and Brewster. It's a ridiculous comment to make when we have all the facilities...blah, blah, and I know it was a friendly, testimonial, but I think they really showed what you need. Consummate professionals both (and Yogi).

Was great to see so many guys back to Easter Road, but for me; the laddie Smith looks good, and the laddie (this is where I will get slagged for not knowing) at 19? shaping up, in my humble opine, to be a Gary O.

LOVED to see Jimmy Boco there and what a job he's doing with some silly laddie called Vieira on the charity front. Ace guys.

Was interested to see Yogi play against some of his ex's; will say no more.

Could have been embarrassing for the '1st' team today!

God forgive Me I forgot; HOW good was it to see Latapy back at ER and command the Midfield? I cried.

#19 was Ross Caldwell. Refreshing to have a strong, bruiser-esque striker as opposed to guys in the mould of Byrne etc. - too lightweight. He's a decent player :agree:

skipster7
05-09-2011, 08:30 PM
i'll always remember working wi the fish man and his dad when we were about 16.we used to deliver to easter rd on a friday and me an fishy would hang about the wee gym under the stand.one friday who shows up but JC and i think micky weir and we go on to have a kickabout with them:greengrin
I like to think i taught him everything he knows:wink:

mim
05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
When I was a kid at Crossroads Boys Club Alan Anderson and John Greig used to come in for training at night because it was better than they had at their pro'clubs.

I would be a couiple of years after you Mr Ancient, but nobody messed with Eric Gardiner, did they? :wink:

down-the-slope
06-09-2011, 12:03 PM
Did he get his 6 pack out :rolleyes:

Sorry someone had to ask :devil:

ancient hibee
06-09-2011, 02:08 PM
I would be a couiple of years after you Mr Ancient, but nobody messed with Eric Gardiner, did they? :wink:

Too right.I used to see him regularly loping along Junction Street in his tracksuit right up until he died.He never looked any older.

GreenCastle
06-09-2011, 04:25 PM

No but a bunch of wage thieves who have been under performing and brought constant depression to the Hibs support and split the fan base.

JC wasn't Mowbray but he had good ideas and I know if he stayed around we wouldn't be one of the unfittest teams in the league.

Instead the board backed the players and JC was history - big mistake.

blackpoolhibs
06-09-2011, 04:35 PM
No but a bunch of wage thieves who have been under performing and brought constant depression to the Hibs support and split the fan base.

JC wasn't Mowbray but he had good ideas and I know if he stayed around we wouldn't be one of the unfittest teams in the league.

I'm not sure a team of super fit Alan O'Briens, Terry Gatheussi's and Brian kerrs would be any better than this lot?

Houchy
06-09-2011, 04:52 PM
No it dosent.

Care to elaborate?

Peevemor
06-09-2011, 04:55 PM

But you can't deny he had a shocking signing record.

No, RP had no option but to meet with the players but backed his manager all the same..

skipster7
06-09-2011, 05:02 PM

No, RP had no option but to meet with the players but backed his manager all the same..

who had the gun to his head:confused:

skipster7
06-09-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm not sure a team of super fit Alan O'Briens, Terry Gatheussi's and Brian kerrs would be any better than this lot?
i may be in the minority of 1, but i thought Terry Gatheussi was ok,certainly going forward, but then i liked De La Cruz:greengrin.the rest no argument.

Houchy
06-09-2011, 05:07 PM

His signings were bloody terrible:agree::greengrin

Peevemor
06-09-2011, 05:47 PM
who had the gun to his head:confused:

Almost the entire first team squad asked to meet him. Being effectively their employer, as well as representing the level of management above JC, he basically had no choice.

The Falcon
06-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Care to elaborate?

If you are saying that players complained at Hibs about having to train twice a day then it's probably the most absurd take on those events I have yet heard, and there have been some beauties.

The Falcon
06-09-2011, 05:59 PM

In what way?

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Victory-for-Collins-as-Hibs.3277304.jp

GreenCastle
07-09-2011, 02:25 AM

Simple question...would you rather have Yogi, CC or JC in charge of Hibs ?

GreenCastle
07-09-2011, 02:33 AM
In what way?

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Victory-for-Collins-as-Hibs.3277304.jp

Even though this statement came out - the board didn't fully back JC and JC left due to him feeling he couldn't take the club any further supposedly ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7153893.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7153893.stm)

The players revolt didn't help matters and if you were in JC's position how would you feel if players went behind your back like that ?

Yes some of his signings were poor - saw were some of Yogi's, CC's and even Mowbrays - JC did win us a cup and had something about it - more than our last two appointments have had - you can't argue against that.

Since that CIS Cup Final win - we have been in free fall.

Peevemor
07-09-2011, 05:50 AM
Even though this statement came out - the board didn't fully back JC and JC left due to him feeling he couldn't take the club any further supposedly ?

(http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7153893.stm)http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7153893.stm

JC had as much money to spend as any manager since McLeish - he wasted it.

The players revolt didn't help matters and if you were in JC's position how would you feel if players went behind your back like that?

Maybe they had a point?

Yes some of his signings were poor - saw were some of Yogi's, CC's and even Mowbrays - JC did win us a cup and had something about it - more than our last two appointments have had - you can't argue against that.

Were any of his signings decent?

I would say before. I honestly think that JC is largely responsible for the state the team has been in over the past 4 or so seasons.

The Falcon
07-09-2011, 07:00 AM
Even though this statement came out -

the board didn't fully back JC and JC left due to him feeling he couldn't take the club any further supposedly ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/h/hibernian/7153893.stm

The players revolt didn't help matters and if you were in JC's position how would you feel if players went behind your back like that ?

What evidence is there that the board didnt fully back Collins? Collins cleared out the ringleader(s) as soon as he could and you could argue this was to the detriment of the team performances. One particular player, who had been a regular starter, never played for Hibs again. Read into that what you will.

Collins remained at the club for nine months following the CIS cup win and there is a school of thought he got out more to try and protect his reputation which was falling by the week. Calderwood has been here 11 months but his starting point was very low whereas Collins started with a decent base and some talent in the team. He then bought as badly as any manager in our recent history, perhaps even worse than Duffy, and I certainly wouldnt have backed his judgement and, given he's still out of work, others feel the same.

I notice in the article he "leaves" Hibs with a training centre? Like the team that won the CIS, the training centre, like all the cameras installed at ER to monitor players movement, was Mowbray's idea.
While he distanced himself from the Scotland job he was the bookies favourite and the suggestion at the time was that by leaving Hibs he was "clearing" the way.

"Some of his signings" weren't just poor, almost to a man they were rank. Who did he sign that we moved on for any significant fee?

We look back on Collins tenure sometimes quite selectively.

Houchy
07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
If you are saying that players complained at Hibs about having to train twice a day then it's probably the most absurd take on those events I have yet heard, and there have been some beauties.

To quote from your link "a delegation of players approached the board to complain about training methods"... any ideas what these complaints were? I got my information from an ex (non hibs) player who is best friends with a then Hibs player.

The Falcon
07-09-2011, 10:08 AM
To quote from your link "a delegation of players approached the board to complain about training methods"... any ideas what these complaints were? I got my information from an ex (non hibs) player who is best friends with a then Hibs player.

Yip.