PDA

View Full Version : Fife Hyland - Latest interview from 2nd September

BEEJ
02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
The message is to hang on in there and we need some stability.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khZbokfvIiY

LEaston87
02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
nae green tie... shocking

Golden Bear
02-09-2011, 05:13 PM
nae green tie... shocking

DBS will not be impressed at that in the slightest. Expect ramifications.

:wink:

Leith Green
02-09-2011, 06:46 PM
This really annoys me..

Interviewer " are you surprised by the kind of boom and bust nature of modern football, in terms of 3 defeats in a row and people are talking about changes to the manager position or changes elsewhere in the club"

Why when asking that question doesnt he look at the games before the win in Inverness, are they any less relevant when discussing the managers future, it was the same when yogi was on his disgraceful run of losses, why not look at the hard facts which include the previous seasons results.

Its as if to say that fans are only becoming concerned because we have recently lost 3 in a row .... WAKE UP!

TheEastTerrace
02-09-2011, 07:00 PM
This really annoys me..

Interviewer " are you surprised by the kind of boom and bust nature of modern football, in terms of 3 defeats in a row and people are talking about changes to the manager position or changes elsewhere in the club"

Why when asking that question doesnt he look at the games before the win in Inverness, are they any less relevant when discussing the managers future, it was the same when yogi was on his disgraceful run of losses, why not look at the hard facts which include the previous seasons results.

Its as if to say that fans are only becoming concerned because we have recently lost 3 in a row .... WAKE UP!

Yep - found that question rather odd. His record stinks.

Arch Stanton
02-09-2011, 07:35 PM
This really annoys me..

Well, there are hard facts and there are hard facts. It is a hard fact that JH won us 4th in the league after all.

And CC's 4 points from 33 will always be a hard fact, even if he went on to win the next 6 games.

I'm with the questioner in that this obsession with selective match stats is baffling.

Leith Green
02-09-2011, 07:44 PM
Well, there are hard facts and there are hard facts. It is a hard fact that JH won us 4th in the league after all.

And CC's 4 points from 33 will always be a hard fact, even if he went on to win the next 6 games.

I'm with the questioner in that this obsession with selective match stats is baffling.

But surely you can see that it's strange to make out that anyone who has been vocal in their dissent towards Calderwood/Petrie has done so based on 3 results?? And even more bizzare when you add in the summer fiasco we had with the manager. How come the supporters are somehow being unreasonable here?

Oh, and what are the hard facts with Calderwood?

greenlex
02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I suppose it was only a mater of time. His second interview and we are moaning about the questions being asked.
I will give it one more and they will be dismissed as propaganda, irrelevant and a useless waste of time. I am surprised its taken us this long to be honest Only Hibs fans.:rolleyes:
I await the posts saying they demand action on the park and less talking.

The Harp Awakes
02-09-2011, 09:59 PM
This really annoys me..

Thought exactly the same when I heard that question. The last 3 games FFS:confused: Conveniently forgetting about last season's nightmare or the Manager's preference to jump ship in close season. Ruined the interview IMO. I thought FH was doing OK otherwise and looked genuinely gutted and determined to turn things around.

Definitely a loaded question which backfired.

blackpoolhibs
02-09-2011, 10:24 PM
When you have Petrie picking out Februarys results, and making CC record look like we were a flying machine, why cant fans pick out results from the rest of his time at the helm, and point out just how rancid they have been?:confused:

marinello59
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
When you have Petrie picking out Februarys results, and making CC record look like we were a flying machine, why cant fans pick out results from the rest of his time at the helm, and point out just how rancid they have been?:confused:

:agree:
Petrie made a valid defence of CC by pointing out that despite his awful overall record he had got results when it mattered. It's not a trick you can pull of twice though. If Mr Hyland wants to dismiss the concerns of 'social networking sites' as being based on just three results then he hasn't been paying attention.

matty_f
02-09-2011, 10:39 PM
:agree:
Petrie made a valid defence of CC by pointing out that despite his awful overall record he had got results when it mattered. It's not a trick you can pull of twice though. If Mr Hyland wants to dismiss the concerns of 'social networking sites' as being based on just three results then he hasn't been paying attention.

Was his 'social networking sites' comment not in relation to Mitter's Twitter?

marinello59
02-09-2011, 10:43 PM
Was his 'social networking sites' comment not in relation to Mitter's Twitter?

Partly. Possibly. :greengrin
I am usually the first to come on to one of these threads and say that the club just can't win when it comes to these statements and I do welcome the fact we are getting them. But using selective stats again? I don't really think that is a wise move at this time.

Albion Hibs
02-09-2011, 10:50 PM
This really annoys me..

My personal view is I could not care less about last seasons results, in fact the less I have to think about last season the better. It is over and done with, we have a new team in place, by in large, and this is a new season.

The cold hard results only include last season if you want them to for some statistical nonsence. Put it this way if we were sitting with 3 or 4 more points this season no one would care about last season because we would be happy with the start to this one, it is only because we have not started the best that history is getting brought into this.

Sir David Gray
02-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Why would the club have a policy of not publicising the arrival of u-19 players? :confused:

The interviewer is obviously completely out of touch with reality. Nobody is upset because we've just lost our 3rd league match in a row. If that was the case then I would say that it was incredibly harsh. They're upset because, last Sunday, we lost our 22nd match in 38 games under Colin Calderwood.

That question gave Hyland a pretty easy ride as far as I'm concerned.

Hibs12thMan
03-09-2011, 12:28 AM
How many games has Colin Calderwood lost since assembling his own team?

One!

He might lose the next ten but if he does at least that will be with the team of his choice

smurf
03-09-2011, 12:36 AM
Again he spoke very well. He's saying what we are all saying and all know...

Results MUST improve. Fast...

majorhibs
03-09-2011, 01:59 AM
I suppose it was only a mater of time. His second interview and we are moaning about the questions being asked.
I will give it one more and they will be dismissed as propaganda, irrelevant and a useless waste of time. I am surprised its taken us this long to be honest Only Hibs fans.:rolleyes:

Bit of a selective "us" & "we" there, no? Something wrong with wanting a bit more "on the park" when we are bottom of the table, even if it is early? Dismiss last season all ye want but 1 point from 15 against the other "bottom six" clubs does not to me a good manager make, transition or no, this guy seems to have more excuses available than any manager I can remember and my memory goes back to 2 relegations.If only the managers team could defend like you defend him, eh?

Beefster
03-09-2011, 06:54 AM
This really annoys me..

The interviewer is a club employee, Hyland is his boss and all the questions will be carefully formulated and pre-agreed with Hyland before the camera is switched on. These interviews, while sometimes informative, are part of the club's communication effort and designed to take heat off the club.

I don't think you can expect much more than 'soft' questions that are skewed towards the message that the club wants to get over to the support.

smurf
03-09-2011, 10:26 AM
In fairness if it was just club propaganda I don't think certain questions would have been asked.

Let's not knock this. It's a welcome arrival that the board are communicating with us.

Still don't know why the chairman isn't though?

CropleyWasGod
03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
In fairness if it was just club propaganda I don't think certain questions would have been asked.

Let's not knock this. It's a welcome arrival that the board are communicating with us.

TBF to Rod, public speaking has never been his forte. He has, quite rightly IMO, let others take that on.

Even if he did speak, what would he say? Presumably, the message would be the same as FH and SL.

oldbutdim
03-09-2011, 10:48 AM

It could be that th erecent changing roles at the top has meant Rodders no longer being the unacceptable face of Hibs, and that dubious honour has passed to the Executive Team and mainly the CX. Didn't stop Rodders slaughtering Yogi though...........:confused:

As you say though - it's a step in the right direction.

The next interview should be with Billy Bigboots apologing for his cretinour behaviour that has once again dragged the club's name down to the pits.

Dan Sarf
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
These interviews are a good idea. But, as my mum used to say, "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well." And, in my opinion, a couple of simple changes would improve them a lot.

1. The interviewer is sucking the life out of them. It's not easy to seem energetic and inspiring when you're faced with someone with a monotone voice using phrases like, "Glean and ascertain the opinions and viewpoints of our support..." Put some energy into the questioning and Fife will have something to respond to.

2. Fife's positioning is slightly better than on previous interviews where he seemed to be cowering at the bottom of the frame like a frightened mouse. But he's still too low. (If you think it doesn't matter where he is on the screen, try scrolling this interview up to the top of your computer so that the top line of logos disappears. Immediately, Fife looks more dominant and like the leader we all want him to be.)

Petrie, etc!

dp00
03-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Some folk are never happy !!!

Dan Sarf
03-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Some folk are never happy !!!

Some folk are easily pleased!

bawheid
03-09-2011, 11:06 AM
These interviews are a good idea. But, as my mum used to say, "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well." And, in my opinion, a couple of simple changes would improve them a lot.

1. The interviewer is sucking the life out of them. It's not easy to seem energetic and inspiring when you're faced with someone with a monotone voice using phrases like, "Glean and ascertain the opinions and viewpoints of our support..." Put some energy into the questioning and Fife will have something to respond to.

2. Fife's positioning is slightly better than on previous interviews where he seemed to be cowering at the bottom of the frame like a frightened mouse. But he's still too low. (If you think it doesn't matter where he is on the screen, try scrolling this interview up to the top of your computer so that the top line of logos disappears. Immediately, Fife looks more dominant and like the leader we all want him to be.)

Petrie, etc!

Good post.

I've just fallen off my chair! Constructive criticism rather than the monotonous moaning we're so used to on here. Nice one Sir. :aok:

Dan Sarf
03-09-2011, 11:13 AM
Good post.

I've just fallen off my chair! Constructive criticism rather than the monotonous moaning we're so used to on here. Nice one Sir. :aok:

Thank you for the thumbs up.

(My mum also said you should always say please and thank you!)

smurf
03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
TBF to Rod, public speaking has never been his forte. He has, quite rightly IMO, let others take that on.

Even if he did speak, what would he say? Presumably, the message would be the same as FH and SL.

True. I'm really not being negative about all of this as its much welcome communications from FH and SL.

However, we all know the real power is owner Sir Tom Farmer and chairman Rod Petrie. Fair enough (though I've never felt its good) that STF leaves things to the board but its something else that the most powerful board member disappears into obscurity...

If only Gordon Brown had thought of this....

As I say not being negative as FWIW I think these interviews from FH and SL are really welcome.

Let's hope soon they are discussing much improved results where it matters.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2011, 12:04 PM
The interviewer is a club employee, Hyland is his boss and all the questions will be carefully formulated and pre-agreed with Hyland before the camera is switched on. These interviews, while sometimes informative, are part of the club's communication effort and designed to take heat off the club.

I don't think you can expect much more than 'soft' questions that are skewed towards the message that the club wants to get over to the support.

That is exactly what is happening.

When I hear from the club, I expect it to be open and honest and I don't expect to be treated as if I am an idiot who doesn't see what's happening.

If I wanted to be subjected to disingenuous propaganda, I would move to Pyongyang and listen to Kim Jong-Il all day.

The current mood of the supporters is not because we've lost our last three league games, or because we got humped at Tynecastle for what seems like the millionth time in my lifetime, it's not even purely because we're bottom of the league after five league games. The utter crap that we have been made to watch has been going on now for around 18 months, we've barely won a game in that time and it shows absolutely no sign of coming to an end any time soon.

That is why the fans are upset and angry and that is why people are calling for a change in management, both at boardroom and at changing room level.

The sooner everyone at Easter Road accepts and realises that fact, the better for all concerned.

greenlex
03-09-2011, 12:16 PM

When I hear from the club, I expect it to be open and honest and I don't expect to be treated as if I am an idiot who doesn't see what's happening.

If I wanted to be subjected to disingenuous propaganda, I would move to Pyongyang and listen to Kim Jong-Il all day.

The current mood of the supporters is not because we've lost our last three league games, or because we got humped at Tynecastle for what seems like the millionth time in my lifetime, it's not even purely because we're bottom of the league after five league games. The utter crap that we have been made to watch has been going on now for around 18 months, we've barely won a game in that time and it shows absolutely no sign of coming to an end any time soon.

That is why the fans are upset and angry and that is why people are calling for a change in management, both at boardroom and at changing room level.

The sooner everyone at Easter Road accepts and realises that fact, the better for all concerned.
By dismissing the boards tenacity in what they are trying to do in the manner you are its like saying you know better and they are the idiots.
Fans on social websites (and I am including this one) are on the whole fickle and lurch from we are gonna win everything in sight to we are gonna be relegated by a mile in the space of a couple of games. The boards job is to look at the bigger picture and not a run of results however long/short poor or good.

The club is in good hands and calling for everyones head from the manager to head honcho instead of looking at things longer term is exactly why we seem to be being treated like idiots. All IMO of course.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2011, 01:22 PM
By dismissing the boards tenacity in what they are trying to do in the manner you are its like saying you know better and they are the idiots.
Fans on social websites (and I am including this one) are on the whole fickle and lurch from we are gonna win everything in sight to we are gonna be relegated by a mile in the space of a couple of games. The boards job is to look at the bigger picture and not a run of results however long/short poor or good.

The club is in good hands and calling for everyones head from the manager to head honcho instead of looking at things longer term is exactly why we seem to be being treated like idiots. All IMO of course.

The interviewer was suggesting to Fife Hyland that the fans are disgruntled because we have lost our last three games in a row.

Beefster believes that the club had checked the questions before the interview was allowed to be aired because it fits in with the message that the club wants the supporters to hear. I think he may have a valid point.

If that is the case then I think that the club is playing the supporters for fools because everyone can see that the Hibs fans are not unhappy because of the last 3 games, they're unhappy because of the last 18 months.

I don't know how to run a football club, I've never pretended otherwise. However, I do know enough about football to know when the club is not heading in the right direction and for quite some time now, Hibs have been heading in anything but the right direction.

I'm not a very good chef either but if I go out to a restaurant then I know if I've been served up a horrible meal.

I don't expect the club to take drastic measures after a couple of bad defeats, just like I don't expect to hear great praise being lavished on the team after a couple of great wins. I think, though, that after a period of just 14 league wins in 18 months, that is quite a 'big picture' for the board to look at and question every aspect of how the club is currently being run, from top to bottom.

I'm not quite sure what other 'big picture' the board can look at? :dunno:

down the slope
03-09-2011, 01:25 PM

Of course we know better than them and they are the idiots, we are the folk who pay for the boards and players wages so we are ignored at their peril .I don't know what you mean by the boards tenacity , do you mean like the tenacity they are trying to hold onto their jobs ?, i agree they are doing well on that score. The club is not in good hands and it is not true to say that i and plenty others are fickle on this score as i have been saying for long enough that the people that run Hibs know nowt about football or we would not be in the position we are in . I beg to differ when you say that a run of results is not a problem , plainly they do as the number of ST's are down as are the crowds, no one is to blame for this other than the men at the top who make the crucial choices , all IMO.

Beefster
03-09-2011, 02:10 PM
The interviewer was suggesting to Fife Hyland that the fans are disgruntled because we have lost our last three games in a row.

Beefster believes that the club had checked the questions before the interview was allowed to be aired because it fits in with the message that the club wants the supporters to hear. I think he may have a valid point.

If that is the case then I think that the club is playing the supporters for fools because everyone can see that the Hibs fans are not unhappy because of the last 3 games, they're unhappy because of the last 18 months.

I don't think the club is playing us for fools. The interviews are marketing communications so you can't expect the questions (or answers) to be as taxing as if Hyland gave an interview to a proper journalist.

It's not really that much different to the M&S CEO telling me, in a promotional video, that they've just invented the most comfortable tangas in history. I'd know to take the claim with a pinch of salt. Similarly, I watch the club interviews knowing that I may not always be getting the naked truth.

Kaiser1962
03-09-2011, 02:30 PM
I don't think the club is playing us for fools. The interviews are marketing communications so you can't expect the questions (or answers) to be as taxing as if Hyland gave an interview to a proper journalist.

It's not really that much different to the M&S CEO telling me, in a promotional video, that they've just invented the most comfortable tangas in history. I'd know to take the claim with a pinch of salt. Similarly, I watch the club interviews knowing that I may not always be getting the naked truth.

You in tanga's is not an image I want imprinted on the inside of my skull Mr. B.. Can you edit with a different analogy please?

Beefster
03-09-2011, 03:23 PM
You in tanga's is not an image I want imprinted on the inside of my skull Mr. B.. Can you edit with a different analogy please?

Yeah right. I know your type.

greenlex
03-09-2011, 09:02 PM

I don't know how to run a football club, I've never pretended otherwise. However, I do know enough about football to know when the club is not heading in the right direction and for quite some time now, Hibs have been heading in anything but the right direction.

I'm not a very good chef either but if I go out to a restaurant then I know if I've been served up a horrible meal.

I don't expect the club to take drastic measures after a couple of bad defeats, just like I don't expect to hear great praise being lavished on the team after a couple of great wins. I think, though, that after a period of just 14 league wins in 18 months, that is quite a 'big picture' for the board to look at and question every aspect of how the club is currently being run, from top to bottom.

I'm not quite sure what other 'big picture' the board can look at? :dunno:

What about looking at when Hughes was with us. Yes he got 4th place but he was taking us nowhere. His signings were poor and we were in freefall. What if they looked at the situation and removed him and decided to put in a manager with a track record in leagues on par at least and arguably better than the SPL. What if having put that manager in place they back him in the first window and then again in the second. What if having helped him assemble his squad they still back him after one game with this squad available despite the clamour from fans who want him gone. They could always do what we always seem to do and buckle to fan pressure and get rid of him and start again?
The jury is definately still out and there will come a time where enough might be enough. That time is not now whether you or I like it or not.

That a big enough picture for you?

greenlex
03-09-2011, 09:12 PM
Of course we know better than them and they are the idiots, we are the folk who pay for the boards and players wages so we are ignored at their peril .I don't know what you mean by the boards tenacity , do you mean like the tenacity they are trying to hold onto their jobs ?, i agree they are doing well on that score. The club is not in good hands and it is not true to say that i and plenty others are fickle on this score as i have been saying for long enough that the people that run Hibs know nowt about football or we would not be in the position we are in . I beg to differ when you say that a run of results is not a problem , plainly they do as the number of ST's are down as are the crowds, no one is to blame for this other than the men at the top who make the crucial choices , all IMO.

I almost gave up after your opening line. Tenacity in having a goal and letting the manager get on with producing that goal. You of course will know better as in your opinion they are a bunch of freeloading financial men without a football brain amongst them. Calderwood will either get it right or fail in most of our expectations. If the time comes to fire him I am sure they will. If he is successful and the time comes to try and hold onto him again I am sure they will try.
The season ticket numbers being reduced will also be down to the fact that it may be some time before ER is sold out so most can walk up and chose their game allied to the global financial problems that we all face. I think you will find that most clubs ST sales are down. Are their boards all clueless too?

tamig
03-09-2011, 09:29 PM

The current mood of the supporters is not because we've lost our last three league games, or because we got humped at Tynecastle for what seems like the millionth time in my lifetime, it's not even purely because we're bottom of the league after five league games. The utter crap that we have been made to watch has been going on now for around 18 months, we've barely won a game in that time and it shows absolutely no sign of coming to an end any time soon.That is why the fans are upset and angry and that is why people are calling for a change in management, both at boardroom and at changing room level.

The first bit in bold here is the key for me. The vast bulk of that time has been with a team comprising of players, many of whom who are no longer at the club.

CC has his own men in now and until last weekend hadn't had them all available for selection. The next few games will be the time to judge CC's team imo. I don't think he can be criticised for another manager's results and for having to play out last season with a lot of players who weren't going to be around for much longer.

Sir David Gray
03-09-2011, 11:08 PM
What about looking at when Hughes was with us. Yes he got 4th place but he was taking us nowhere. His signings were poor and we were in freefall. What if they looked at the situation and removed him and decided to put in a manager with a track record in leagues on par at least and arguably better than the SPL. What if having put that manager in place they back him in the first window and then again in the second. What if having helped him assemble his squad they still back him after one game with this squad available despite the clamour from fans who want him gone. They could always do what we always seem to do and buckle to fan pressure and get rid of him and start again?
The jury is definately still out and there will come a time where enough might be enough. That time is not now whether you or I like it or not.

People can say what they like about John Hughes, and I say that as someone who thought that the club was correct in their decision to remove him when they did, but at least you knew that he wanted to be the Hibernian manager.

What we went through during the summer was a complete and utter farce and a total embarrassment and Colin Calderwood was completely responsible for that. The whole club was full of uncertainty surrounding his future and, despite being given various opportunities to do so, he continually refused to put that uncertainty to bed. No-one will convince me otherwise that where we find ourselves in the table right now is a direct result of all that went on over the summer.

Then a couple of days before the season was due to begin and we were to take on Celtic, he comes out with some cryptic nonsense that basically wrote off any chances that we might have had of starting the season well. What chance have the players got when they hear the manager coming out with statements like that?

Things were bad during the last few months of Hughes' reign but I have only seen things get steadily worse in the past 11 months, since Calderwood was appointed. I didn't really think that was humanly possible at the time of his arrival but they have.

You say that John Hughes was taking the club nowhere. At least that's something you can't accuse Calderwood of. With the record he's got since he arrived, he'll be taking us into the first division in the not too distant future.

Never mind, at least we'll have the nicest stadium in the division for all the away fans to admire, a fantastic training facility for all the players that we'll be signing from the Swedish fourth division to train at and a set of balance sheets that will be the envy of almost every chairman in the country.

I'm not too certain that we'll have the largest attendance figures, though.

The first bit in bold here is the key for me. The vast bulk of that time has been with a team comprising of players, many of whom who are no longer at the club.

CC has his own men in now and until last weekend hadn't had them all available for selection. The next few games will be the time to judge CC's team imo. I don't think he can be criticised for another manager's results and for having to play out last season with a lot of players who weren't going to be around for much longer.

Well we better hope that lightning doesn't strike twice then because the majority of our first team squad is out of contract, once again, at the end of this season.

When John Collins can get the credit for getting a team, that was put together by Tony Mowbray, to win a cup within a few months of his arrival, why can't Colin Calderwood be held responsible for the performances and results of the team that was largely put together by John Hughes?

For the past year, it's been his tactics, his formations and his team selections. I would hope that, if you were to speak to him, that even Calderwood himself would be honest enough to admit that he alone is responsible for the results and performances since he took over as manager.

You might excuse him for the first couple of months as he attempts to make his mark on the team but nearly a year down the line, I'm afraid that excuse doesn't wash with me anymore.

We have five matches this month. As far as I'm concerned, he has until after the St Johnstone game on the 28th September to turn things around and show signs of an improvement. If we get less than four or five points from those games and we go out of the cup to Motherwell then his time will be up.

Ray_
04-09-2011, 07:20 AM

I haven't heard or read the interview, but from what's being said on here, what's the point of asking questions that provide answers that gloss over the fact what's really happening? That to me would be far worse than not saying anything as it questions the intelligence of the support.:rolleyes:

matty_f
04-09-2011, 07:38 AM
I haven't heard or read the interview, but from what's being said on here, what's the point of asking questions that provide answers that gloss over the fact what's really happening? That to me would be far worse than not saying anything as it questions the intelligence of the support.:rolleyes:

They didn't ask anything that questions the intelligence of the support. Frankly, if folk are making an issue out of the way a question was asked in an interview like this though, they probably deserve to have their intelligence questioned. Then someone needs to tell them to get a life.

Baldy Foghorn
04-09-2011, 08:35 AM
They didn't ask anything that questions the intelligence of the support. Frankly, if folk are making an issue out of the way a question was asked in an interview like this though, they probably deserve to have their intelligence questioned. Then someone needs to tell them to get a life.

What about "the fans are moaning about CC after 3 straight defeats"....More genius from Hibs just picking on 3 results and forgetting the rest of his miserable tenure????

Spike Mandela
04-09-2011, 08:49 AM

Petrie, etc!

Do media studies at school did you?:wink::greengrin

matty_f
04-09-2011, 09:10 AM
What about "the fans are moaning about CC after 3 straight defeats"....More genius from Hibs just picking on 3 results and forgetting the rest of his miserable tenure????

I don't think they're missing the rest of his tenure, there's already been an interview with Scott Lindsay and Fife which covers dissatisfaction up to that point. Very few people were calling for CC's head after we won and now we've had three straight defeats folk are again.

But even putting a modicum of thought into where the question is coming from - we're in a new season, with new players - two of whom played on Sunday literally days after joining the club, we've a centre-half pairing who played their second competitive game together on Sunday, their first full 90 minutes together. We've two strikers just returned from injury who have yet to form an understanding with Garry O'Connor - in fact we've barely seen what Agogo is like at all. Asking about the reaction after three straight defeats is just as relevant as asking about the overall record, in fact I'd say it was more relevant.

tamig
04-09-2011, 09:32 AM
Well we better hope that lightning doesn't strike twice then because the majority of our first team squad is out of contract, once again, at the end of this season.

When John Collins can get the credit for getting a team, that was put together by Tony Mowbray, to win a cup within a few months of his arrival, why can't Colin Calderwood be held responsible for the performances and results of the team that was largely put together by John Hughes?

For the past year, it's been his tactics, his formations and his team selections. I would hope that, if you were to speak to him, that even Calderwood himself would be honest enough to admit that he alone is responsible for the results and performances since he took over as manager.

You might excuse him for the first couple of months as he attempts to make his mark on the team but nearly a year down the line, I'm afraid that excuse doesn't wash with me anymore.

We have five matches this month. As far as I'm concerned, he has until after the St Johnstone game on the 28th September to turn things around and show signs of an improvement. If we get less than four or five points from those games and we go out of the cup to Motherwell then his time will be up.

I think your analogy is a bit wide of the mark. Collins inherited a squad of talent - many of whom were secured on long term contracts. It's a quite bizarre comparison imo. Football has changed now and although many of the current squad may be on short term deals, the difference is they have been brought in by CC. I still have confidence this bunch of players will come good - and soon.

Dan Sarf
04-09-2011, 10:09 AM
Do media studies at school did you?:wink::greengrin

Media studies didn't exist when I went to school. (And colour TV hadn't come in yet either!) :wink:

bawheid
05-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Firstly Falkirk...what do you expect from interviews on the official site? Jeremy Paxman in full flow taking Rod Petrie to bits over Hibs managerial record since 2007? It's not going to happen, is it?

What we went through during the summer was a complete and utter farce and a total embarrassment and Colin Calderwood was completely responsible for that.

Rubbish. Two clubs wanted our manager, we didn't let them have him and Calderwood managed to save us the "here as long as you want me" / "I have a job to do here" bull. Meanwhile Hibs.net whipped itself up into a summer frenzy because there was pretty much nothing else to do.

Surely you recognise that the teams inherited by each manager were slightly different? Getting a good winning team to keep winning is easier than turning around a bad losing team.

There's no doubt he needs results in September and going into October. Everyone recognises that, including Calderwood and the Hibs board.

How about we decide not to piss our pants, and instead try and hold our collective nerve and support what is pretty much a brand new team while they find their feet?

JimBHibees
05-09-2011, 11:21 AM

Completely agree it would be complete nonsense to get rid until his team have actually had a chance to play together. We need results pronto however he IMO has to be given the time until end of October at least. If we are where we are now at that stage and performances are very poor then fair enough.

Speedway
05-09-2011, 11:29 AM

I don't think they're missing the rest of his tenure, there's already been an interview with Scott Lindsay and Fife which covers dissatisfaction up to that point. Very few people were calling for CC's head after we won and now we've had three straight defeats folk are again.

But even putting a modicum of thought into where the question is coming from - we're in a new season, with new players - two of whom played on Sunday literally days after joining the club, we've a centre-half pairing who played their second competitive game together on Sunday, their first full 90 minutes together. We've two strikers just returned from injury who have yet to form an understanding with Garry O'Connor - in fact we've barely seen what Agogo is like at all. Asking about the reaction after three straight defeats is just as relevant as asking about the overall record, in fact I'd say it was more relevant.

Cheers Matty, you've saved me having to reply to BaldyFog's quote. I should point out though that we have seen Agogo now and apparently he is absolutley useless and 'worse than Hurtado'. An opinion formed after 60-ish minutes of football.

Firstly Falkirk...what do you expect from interviews on the official site? Jeremy Paxman in full flow taking Rod Petrie to bits over Hibs managerial record since 2007? It's not going to happen, is it?

Rubbish. Two clubs wanted our manager, we didn't let them have him and Calderwood managed to save us the "here as long as you want me" / "I have a job to do here" bull. Meanwhile Hibs.net whipped itself up into a summer frenzy because there was pretty much nothing else to do.

Surely you recognise that the teams inherited by each manager were slightly different? Getting a good winning team to keep winning is easier than turning around a bad losing team.

There's no doubt he needs results in September and going into October. Everyone recognises that, including Calderwood and the Hibs board.

How about we decide not to piss our pants, and instead try and hold our collective nerve and support what is pretty much a brand new team while they find their feet?

Impossible Baw. Loserism and Fatalism mixed with an absurdly large dose of entitlement is the culture of the Hibs support online.

tamig
05-09-2011, 12:40 PM

Spot on bawheid. Although that might be tough for a lot of the hysterical folk who frequent this board these days.

Andy74
05-09-2011, 04:24 PM

A year and 14 players is a little on the extreme side of giving a manager some time and a bit of leeway to bring his own players in is it not?

At what stage do you start to expect some results?

Why is it just really Hibs that need this?

He's now had the about the same number of players in as Hughes, and more leeway to get people out. So, four or five games would be the measure now, right?

Did the likes of De Graaf, Dickoh, Duffy, Trakys, Hart and Grounds get some time and some leeway to get fit and up to speed under the manager that signed them?

Speedway
05-09-2011, 04:32 PM
A year and 14 players is a little on the extreme side of giving a manager some time and a bit of leeway to bring his own players in is it not?

He's now had the about the same number of players in as Hughes, and more leeway to get people out. So, four or five games would be the measure now, right?

Did the likes of De Graaf, Dickoh, Duffy, Trakys, Hart and Grounds get some time and some leeway to get fit and up to speed under the manager that signed them?

AHA!! you said 'Hughes'.

BEEJ
05-09-2011, 05:59 PM
De Graaf signed on 15 June 2010 and Hart signed on 8 July 2010. They had a good pre-season under their belts last year before undertaking competitive football in Hibs colours.

Lack of match fitness was not the issue.

bawheid
05-09-2011, 06:43 PM

I don't really care how much time Hughes or any of his players got. I was all for them getting more time.

We're talking about Calderwood though, remember?