PDA

View Full Version : Should have worn the blue

bigwheel
02-09-2011, 04:35 PM
As it's international weekend, my mind has drifted to the topic of Hibs players who should have played for Scotland but didn't. I realise that could be any of our players during the regimes of Walter Smith and Craig Levein - who seem to not like choosing anyone who plays for us - but I as thinking more fundementlally of players who you genuinely feel should have been capped.

The one that springs to my mind is Alex Edwards - what a talent! I don't think he got a single cap (might be wrong!). Even so, what about others? Any other Hibs players who should have worn the blue of Scotland??

Golden Bear
02-09-2011, 04:42 PM
As it's international weekend, my mind has drifted to the topic of Hibs players who should have played for Scotland but didn't. I realise that could be any of our players during the regimes of Walter Smith and Craig Levein - who seem to not like choosing anyone who plays for us - but I as thinking more fundementlally of players who you genuinely feel should have been capped.

The one that springs to my mind is Alex Edwards - what a talent! I don't think he got a single cap (might be wrong!). Even so, what about others? Any other Hibs players who should have worn the blue of Scotland??

:agree:

Once described as "Scotland's best ever uncapped player."

And from the same generation Sloop John B really should have had more caps than received ----------- I wonder if Harry Potter had any relatives in charge of the selection process at the time?

:wink:

tamig
02-09-2011, 04:55 PM
I thought Alan Gordon could have done a turn for Scotland.

EVENTUALLY
02-09-2011, 04:56 PM

Eric Stevenson

Allant1981
02-09-2011, 04:58 PM
Probably just me but i always thought pat mcginlay should have been given a chance, probably just biased because he was my favourite player

SteveHFC
02-09-2011, 04:59 PM
Kevin Harper.

Lee
02-09-2011, 05:03 PM
Probably just me but i always thought pat mcginlay should have been given a chance, probably just biased because he was my favourite player

Nah, I totally agree with you, I used to think that too - wasn't many midfielders scoring as many goals as he did year on year, even scored for the "B" team if I recall?

bigwheel
02-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Good call....superb attacking midfielder at his peak, there were few better in Scotland.

johnrebus
02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
Good call....superb attacking midfielder at his peak, there were few better in Scotland.

Kevin McAllister

Wheat Hound
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Gordon Hunter, especially around the skol cup win. To think donkey mcpherson was picked ahead of him says a lot about Scottish fitba, particularly OF favouritism.

MontrealHibs
02-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Chico!

LeithBoozy
02-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Joe baker, born the wrong side of the border. Still he was that good he was picked for England, even though they had Clough Jimmy Greaves, ect. The finest centre forward to pull-on a Hibs strip, RIP Joe.

thebakerboy
02-09-2011, 07:56 PM
Joe baker, born the wrong side of the border. Still he was that good he was picked for England, even though they had Clough Jimmy Greaves, ect. The finest centre forward to pull-on a Hibs strip, RIP Joe.

I cannot disagree with any of that , he was my hero as a kid and a lovely guy as well.

erin go bragh
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Kevin Harper.
Remember him scoring a hatrick for the scotland under 21s but never got a full cap !
ggtth

McIntosh
02-09-2011, 08:07 PM
Mickey Weir

snooky
02-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Pat Stanton = 16 caps - what a joke!
That one statistic tells you all you want to know about what's wrong with Scottish football and it's hierarchy. :brickwall

Spudster
02-09-2011, 08:54 PM
Was top scorer in his one season at Parkhead too, definitely a puzzler

Forza Fred
02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
That one statistic tells you all you want to know about what's wrong with Scottish football and it's hierarchy. :brickwall

If Jimmy O'Rourke had played for Rangers or Celtic in the early 70's, the way he was knocking them in, he would have been a Scotland regular

Green and white
02-09-2011, 09:39 PM
If you don't play for the old firm your not good enough. Many average old firm players get picked year in year out over players who consistently perform better but play for teams of a poorer position in the league. Scott Brown didn't get a sniff until he moved to rangers, neither did Goodwillie, Whitaker, Caldwell and the list goes on.

mon the cabbage
02-09-2011, 10:07 PM
If you don't play for the old firm your not good enough. Many average old firm players get picked year in year out over players who consistently perform better but play for teams of a poorer position in the league. Scott Brown didn't get a sniff until he moved to rangers, neither did Goodwillie, Whitaker, Caldwell and the list goes on.

When did brown and goodwillie
go to rangers?

MGmick
02-09-2011, 11:14 PM
When did brown and goodwillie
go to rangers?

Yeah ok typo but you surely get the drift.
And re God and the joke of 16 caps...........pathetic really. What a player.

Liberal Hibby
02-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Ally McLeod (and his Morton soul brother Andy Ritchie)

Kaiser1962
03-09-2011, 07:30 AM
That Cropley only got two caps and Schaedler one is an absolute insult.

That his "international career" lasted a mere 29 days and both Cropley's caps came before his 21st Birthday just adds to this poster's overall bewilderment.

calamitus
03-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Not the most obviousone, but I always thought Craig Brewster should have got a call up - I think he helped make Garry O'Connor the player he is. Brewster's positioning movement and footballing head seemed to bring everyone around him onto a better game.

jdships
03-09-2011, 05:48 PM
Has to be Jimmy O'Rourke surely ?
:confused:

ancient hibee
03-09-2011, 06:08 PM
Joe Davis,George Stewart,Ralph Callachan

DH1875
03-09-2011, 06:47 PM
Kevin Harper.

Was he any good? My memories of him are that he crap for us.

Cauld Bovril
03-09-2011, 07:12 PM
Alex Edwards for me. I caught the tail end of his career when i was 5 years old and he was playing in the reserves. Having never seen a first team game at the time, i used to think we must`ve had a team full of Peles for Edwards not to get a game.

SteveHFC
03-09-2011, 07:16 PM

He scored some good goals against Hearts. :agree:

Golden Bear
03-09-2011, 07:56 PM
It's sad but true that the names that have been mentioned nearly all relate to bygone days.

I really wonder who out of the present generation of Hibs "footballers" will be categorised as suitable enough to provide hospitality tours of ER in years to come.

:boo hoo:

Golden Bear
03-09-2011, 08:01 PM

He flattered to deceive and probably did well to make the most out of the the talents that he had. However he was never good enough to represent Scotland at full international level in a month of Sundays.

sparkiedelpaco7
03-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Keith Keith Keith - 1 cap

Mickey Weir (He's Here, He's there...) - 0 caps

Alex Edwards - 0 caps

Alex Cropley- 2 caps

Tam McManus - 0 caps

Kevin Thomson - 3 caps

Erich Schaedler - 1 cap

John Brownlie - 7 caps

Pat Stanton (GOD) - 16 caps

John Blackley - 7 caps

Alan Gordon - 0 caps

Eddie Turnbull - 9 caps

Gordon Smith - 19 caps

Willie Ormond - 6 caps

Pat McGinley - 0 caps

Neil Martin - 3 caps

Ian Murray - 6 caps

Mikeystewart
03-09-2011, 10:39 PM

Anyone who believes this needs to have words with themselves seriously, most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, are you saying if messi played for Hibs and was Scottish he wouldn't get a game for Scotland? Because Levin is a big bag Jambo and smith is Blue nose. Might have happened fifty years ago but.... I cant be arsed typing any more. Are you seriously sugestingg there are hibs players at this current moment who should be in the Scotland squad?

Mikeystewart
03-09-2011, 10:41 PM

Aye cause Scotland had a pish squad in the 70's...:rolleyes:

Hibernian Verse
03-09-2011, 11:33 PM

Brown made his Scotland debut whilst at Hibs :agree:

bigwheel
04-09-2011, 07:39 AM
Anyone who believes this needs to have words with themselves seriously, most ridiculous thing I've ever heard, are you saying if messi played for Hibs and was Scottish he wouldn't get a game for Scotland? Because Levin is a big bag Jambo and smith is Blue nose. Might have happened fifty years ago but.... I cant be arsed typing any more. Are you seriously sugestingg there are hibs players at this current moment who should be in the Scotland squad?

It's a lighthearted post on a lighthearted topic - get a grip....

frazeHFC
04-09-2011, 07:47 AM
Big Nishy :agree:

McKenzie
04-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Riordan

Mikeystewart
04-09-2011, 09:29 AM
It's a lighthearted post on a lighthearted topic - get a grip....

Maybe I over reacted within the context of the post but its something that creeps up all the time on this board.

ancient hibee
05-09-2011, 05:14 PM
It's sad but true that the names that have been mentioned nearly all relate to bygone days.

I really wonder who out of the present generation of Hibs "footballers" will be categorised as suitable enough to provide hospitality tours of ER in years to come.

Well we know who won't be directing visitors to the lavatories.

davemcbain
06-09-2011, 07:58 AM

In more recent years it's been more a case of "Should have worn the blue while they were playing for Hibs rather than the day after being transferred out, but haven't yet played more than a couple of games for (mostly) the old firm".

JimBHibees
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Yeah ok typo but you surely get the drift.
And re God and the joke of 16 caps...........pathetic really. What a player.

Agree about Stanton, complete disgrace though in saying that in those days Scotland had any number of excellent players to pick from.

Scott Brown started against Italy while at Hibs.

JimBHibees
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM

Your general point is a decent one not sure of the need for the Messi reference however there is no doubt IMO that players have been overlooked to a greater extent than if they played for the Old Firm for example. The tabloid press mainly if not completely Glasgow based are very good at overhyping young Old Firm players, they wanted John Fleck in the team when he had played a good 45 mins for Rangers. It appears to have been more prevalent in the past also where I think they chose the squad by Committee. Managers have also got players they are comfortable with for e.g would Garry Kenneth have got anywhere near the Scotland team if he hadnt been with Levein at Dundee Utd.

weecounty hibby
06-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Keith Keith Keith - 1 cap

Mickey Weir (He's Here, He's there...) - 0 caps

Alex Edwards - 0 caps

Alex Cropley- 2 caps

Tam McManus - 0 caps

Kevin Thomson - 3 caps

Erich Schaedler - 1 cap

John Brownlie - 7 caps

Pat Stanton (GOD) - 16 caps

John Blackley - 7 caps

Alan Gordon - 0 caps

Eddie Turnbull - 9 caps

Gordon Smith - 19 caps

Willie Ormond - 6 caps

Pat McGinley - 0 caps

Neil Martin - 3 caps

Ian Murray - 6 caps

I'm as biased as anyone when it comes to Hibs or Hibs players, but Tam McManus for Scotland? Really? Mickey was one of my heroes but again not international standard. Murray did well to get six caps. I remember watching Keith against Northern Ireland and to be honest he had a shocker that night. Of the rest I think that they should probably all have recieved more caps than they did.

patlowe
06-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Not the most obviousone, but I always thought Craig Brewster should have got a call up - I think he helped make Garry O'Connor the player he is. Brewster's positioning movement and footballing head seemed to bring everyone around him onto a better game.

He would have been a great guy to have around the Scotland team, particularly when the squad was full of so many youngsters in the early to mid noughties. Not only did he help O'Connor, he made Tam McManus and Stevie Crawford look decent players! I reckon Scotland could have got a good 5 years or so out of him after he returned from Greece.

brog
07-09-2011, 10:43 AM
Aye cause Scotland had a pish squad in the 70's...:rolleyes:

Well Pat earned his first cap in 1966 against Holland & didn't get capped again for 3 years so the biggest gap in his cap history was before the 70's. However in the 70's he was treated shamefully by Tommy Docherty who described Pat as better than Bobby Moore but then left him out his team after Pat, for family reasons had to withdraw from a tour of South America.
In those days however it's fair to say Hibs players were treated a tad more fairly. Brownlie & Cropley were first capped at the age of 19 & 21 respectively & Danny McGrain & Kenny Dalglish initiation as Scotland players came about because of injuries to both Hibs players. In fact Dalglish's first cap came as a sub for Crops in a game against Belgium in Aberdeen.

marinello59
07-09-2011, 10:58 AM
At least Des Bremner got one cap. It should have been more IMHO.

erin go bragh
07-09-2011, 11:06 AM
Garry o`connor :dunno:

GGTTH

weecounty hibby
07-09-2011, 04:52 PM
At least Des Bremner got one cap. It should have been more IMHO.
:agree: I only just remember Des playing for Hibs but I have a Brummie working for me at the moment who has a ST for Villa and he describes Des as "a legend". Does match day stuff at Villa Park. Would love to have his type of player at ER now.

ancient hibee
07-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I'm as biased as anyone when it comes to Hibs or Hibs players, but Tam McManus for Scotland? Really? Mickey was one of my heroes but again not international standard. Murray did well to get six caps. I remember watching Keith against Northern Ireland and to be honest he had a shocker that night. Of the rest I think that they should probably all have recieved more caps than they did.

When Edwards was playing out of his skin Tommy McLean was strolling into the international team.Ludicrous to say Edwards was not of that standard.

Kaiser1962
07-09-2011, 06:31 PM
In those days however it's fair to say Hibs players were treated a tad more fairly. Brownlie & Cropley were first capped at the age of 19 & 21 respectively & Danny McGrain & Kenny Dalglish initiation as Scotland players came about because of injuries to both Hibs players. In fact Dalglish's first cap came as a sub for Crops in a game against Belgium in Aberdeen.

Cropley was only 20y 9m 25d old when he won the last of his two caps in a 1-0 victory at Pittodrie against Belgium in a European Championship Qualifier in front of 36,500. Cropley was the youngest Scottish player (probably youngest player?) on the park in both his games. In this first game he was subbed by the slightly younger (just over a month) Kenny Dalglish who got his 1st cap. Cropley's other cap came at Hampden against Portugal when we won 2-1 in front of 58,472. George Graham made his debut for Scotland in that game. Cropley was unbeaten for Scotland.
Brownlie was 19y 3m 3d when he made his debut in a 1-0 defeat against Russia in Russia.

When Edwards was playing out of his skin Tommy McLean was strolling into the international team.Ludicrous to say Edwards was not of that standard.

Edwards was different class and, apart from not playing in Glasgow, his face didn't fit with the blazers who didn't approve of his temperament. Robbed Scotland of the possibility of Bremner and Edwards in the same midfield. You couldn't buy that now.

weecounty hibby
07-09-2011, 08:28 PM

Mickey Weir not Alex Edwards. Alex Edwards WAS international class and then some. I meant Mickey Weir!

JohnScott
07-09-2011, 09:37 PM

Gordon "Jukebox" Durie. Despite being Scottish footballs top scorer (alongside Stevie Cowan) he wasn't capped till he moved to Chelsea. Only 25 years ago Mikey but I take your point. That being said there have been other players since then deemed not international class till they left Hibs such as Kenny Miller.