PDA

View Full Version : NHC Celtic reinstated in Europa League.

Greentinted
02-09-2011, 04:24 PM
Just as it says. Sion now appealing against the appeal.

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/268715-celtic-reinstated-in-europa-league-as-uefa-rule-against-sion/

Golden Bear
02-09-2011, 04:35 PM

http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottish-premier/celtic/268715-celtic-reinstated-in-europa-league-as-uefa-rule-against-sion/

It's the way of the world these days.

You can apparently appeal against an appeal against an appeal against an appeal etc etc.

:blah:

As for the verdict itself then I ain't too fussed either way but on reflection these dark gloomy winter nights would be even worse if we didn't have any real interest on seeing how our "Scottish" teams get on against top European sides.

PeeJay
02-09-2011, 04:37 PM

Appeal? Shouldn't this be a cut and dry decision: either the players were ineligible or they weren't? :confused:

Craig_HFC
02-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Celtic can just **** off. Jammiest team in the world.

Neil Lennon can **** off too!

And they say they get no decisions!

Brando7
02-09-2011, 04:57 PM
justice done imo

MSK
02-09-2011, 05:06 PM

And they say they get no decisions!Eh ..its hardly celtic's fault is it ..?..I despise them but in fairness Sion broke the rules ..no celtic ..

The_Todd
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
Maybe they'll shut up about the global anti-Celtic conspiracy now

Joe Baker II
02-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Maybe they'll shut up about the global anti-Celtic conspiracy now

Worryingly from looking at some Celtic forums there is an element of their fans who seemed not to want to get back into Europe despite the obvious justification - they think better chance of winning league if they are not in Europe - know Hibs fans can be even more parochial but depressing viewpoint (even if not majority) regardless.

But some respite for Scottish football at a time we need it, thought UEFA would pander to Swiss team.

Wotherspiniesta
02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Good. Hope they can restore some pride in our game.

I won't hold my breath though......

Sylar
02-09-2011, 05:17 PM
Absolute joke of a decision.

UEFA must have approved the list of players a club are required to submit prior to the tie, no? If there were any doubts about these players and their eligibility, much like if a player is listed but should be suspended from a red card or the like, UEFA should have acted THEN.

I sincerely hope one of Sion's appeals are upheld and the tims are booted right back out again.

If not, I hope Rennes, Udinese and Atletico all royally pump them.

MWHIBBIES
02-09-2011, 05:19 PM
Why don't we get this luck.

Siralbertkidd
02-09-2011, 05:19 PM

UEFA must have approved the list of players a club are required to submit prior to the tie, no? If there were any doubts about these players and their eligibility, much like if a player is listed but should be suspended from a red card or the like, UEFA should have acted THEN.

I sincerely hope one of Sion's appeals are upheld and the tims are booted right back out again.

:top marks

Sylar
02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Sorry admin!

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-09-2011, 05:32 PM
So Celtc get yet another chance to get serially howked on the tele. I wonder deep down if Lennon would have rather not have gone back in, now that the ridicule after the defeat has died down. Both him and McCoist were fish out of water when asked to swap the goldfish bowl for the big pond.

Biggie
02-09-2011, 05:41 PM

They're just spawny *******s....

lyonhibs
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
Why don't we get this luck. We'd need to get into Europe 1st.Now they're bk in, I hope they get buggered senseless in each and every game they play.

The_Todd
02-09-2011, 06:43 PM
In a way I'll enjoy them getting seriously pumped then complaining bitterly how its so unfair they can't financially compete with the big boys, all without a hint of irony.

greenginger
02-09-2011, 07:17 PM
Look forward to Sion winning an a appeal in a Swiss court and then hearing the Soap-dodgers squealing its anti-football taking cases to a court.:aok:

Hibeesb0unc3
02-09-2011, 07:33 PM
Oh well at least they have a chance to restore pride to Scottish football. But what is more likely to happen is that they get pumped in all 6 of their group games and bring further embaresment on our game:rolleyes:

LeithBoozy
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
All Celtc will care about is they are back into the big money making stages again, how many millions do they say the group stages are worth 10?, the currant buns wont be happy.:rolleyes:

weonlywon6-2
02-09-2011, 08:00 PM

celtic are used to getting in via the back door :taxi

erin go bragh
02-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Tin hat on , but i quite enjoy watching celtic playing in europe . :tin hat:

GGTTH

clerriehibs
02-09-2011, 08:13 PM

It's not luck - Celtc officially complained before each of the legs. They knew something was up. UEFA upheld the complaints, and Celtc are back in .... what's lucky about that?

thebakerboy
02-09-2011, 08:14 PM

This I think is the exact point these players were not registered but played and obviously UEFA cannot do anything until they receive team sheets after game and this they have done quite correctly. My point is that until they actually played these players they had not broken the rule , I am very surprised they found against a Swiss team and in favour of a Scottish club but :rules: is :rules:. As to the rest I don't give a stuff.

Scouse Hibee
02-09-2011, 08:21 PM

:confused: Would you be saying the same if it was Hibs? It's not as if it was only noticed after the tie had been completed, UEFA warned Sion against playing the ineligble players and then took action when they did. Absolute correct decision IMO.

stoneyburn hibs
02-09-2011, 08:47 PM
:confused: Would you be saying the same if it was Hibs? It's not as if it was only noticed after the tie had been completed, UEFA warned Sion against playing the ineligble players and then took action when they did. Absolute correct decision IMO.

Indeed , its black and white nothing about being jammy , anyway looking at the group that celtic will be in they have not a hope

Peevemor
02-09-2011, 08:49 PM
It suits me fine as Rennes are the nearest league club to chez moi (about an hours drive). I'll have to get my ticket organised to go and shout at the smellies.

Sir David Gray
02-09-2011, 09:22 PM
There was really no other decision for UEFA to make.

Green and white
02-09-2011, 09:33 PM
As I live in weggievile I suppose I will go watch them at the pub with my pals. It's brilliant listen to them slate their own team after they get a good pumping of a average swiss side. That's what happens when you sign decent championship players and expect them to do well in europe and win you the league.

Sylar
02-09-2011, 11:04 PM

I'd be embarrassed if we had been humped so convincingly and then given a back door pass and a cool, unearned £5 million under the table.

The fact that it "wasn't only noticed after the tie" makes the whole thing even worse! If UEFA were well aware of the situation, the first leg should have been as far as it had gotten, if indeed it had gotten that far at all! Teams are required to submit a list of players who will make up the squad well in advance of the ties. It would have been noticed then that they were in the squad from this preliminary submission and should have been dealt with at THAT point.

Celtc made utterly no noise about it until well after they had been pumped - had the outcome of the second leg been different, and Celtc had deservingly progressed, would they still have mentioned something on the grounds of morals/good ethics in the game? I sincerely doubt it!

I guess Celtc and their board are only trying to ensure the best business outcome for their club, but to my mind (which I'm aware, matters for sweet F.A. to most) they haven't earned their right to be there and are benefiting from a policy decision, when their footballing skill failed.

Scouse Hibee
02-09-2011, 11:11 PM
I'd be embarrassed if we had been humped so convincingly and then given a back door pass and a cool, unearned £5 million under the table.

The fact that it "wasn't only noticed after the tie" makes the whole thing even worse! If UEFA were well aware of the situation, the first leg should have been as far as it had gotten, if indeed it had gotten that far at all! Teams are required to submit a list of players who will make up the squad well in advance of the ties. It would have been noticed then that they were in the squad from this preliminary submission and should have been dealt with at THAT point.

Celtc made utterly no noise about it until well after they had been pumped - had the outcome of the second leg been different, and Celtc had deservingly progressed, would they still have mentioned something on the grounds of morals/good ethics in the game? I sincerely doubt it!

I guess Celtc and their board are only trying to ensure the best business outcome for their club, but to my mind (which I'm aware, matters for sweet F.A. to most) they haven't earned their right to be there and are benefiting from a policy decision, when their footballing skill failed.

I believe it was already going to a court of Arbitration proir to the first leg so UEFA were powerless to stop the game being played and were advised that the verdict would not be given until after the second leg.

Sylar
02-09-2011, 11:15 PM
I believe it was already going to a court of Arbitration proir to the first leg so UEFA were powerless to stop the game being played and were advised that the verdict would not be given until after the second leg.

UEFA had previously stated that the appeal which was going through the local court was not a recognised authority and that UEFA's decision would overrule it.

They can NOW take it to the court of arbitration, which they have said they will, whereby they would be the final decision. One of the Swiss legal courts had previously backed FC Sion if I recall, hence why the players are allowed to play domestically.

I very much doubt UEFA can argue that their power as a governing body can over-rule the Swiss legal system...

hibeedonald
02-09-2011, 11:24 PM

It was noticed before the tie, UEFA warned Sion about fielding the players, Sion in protest fielded them.

NORTHERNHIBBY
03-09-2011, 10:27 AM
Cue the Daily Record running stories from Murdo Mcleod and Frank McGarvey, stating that there is now no reason why Celtc can't go on and win the tournament.

Sylar
03-09-2011, 10:54 AM
It was noticed before the tie, UEFA warned Sion about fielding the players, Sion in protest fielded them.

I'm not sure I'd say they "fielded them in protest" - they had an appeal going through a national court (which ruled in their favour) and felt they were entitled to play them.

UEFA's warning came prior to the first leg, so if they had fielded these players in the leg at Parkhead, why did they even allow the expense and effort of the second leg to be played?

Peevemor
03-09-2011, 11:01 AM
I very much doubt UEFA can argue that their power as a governing body can over-rule the Swiss legal system...

It's UEFA's competition. They set the rules, not the Swiss courts.

thebakerboy
03-09-2011, 11:02 AM
In the past when there has been interference from national governments or court cases the national Body has been suspended from taking part in any UEFA or FIFA competitions so yes they are an authority which does not listen to local courts or governments , so Sion and The Swiss FA should take great care with this case.

Sylar
03-09-2011, 11:16 AM

UEFA's rules can't overrule international employment laws.

greenginger
03-09-2011, 11:30 AM

The difference in this case is UEFA are based in Switzerland as are Sion, and therefor bound by Swiss Law and ultimately Swiss Courts.

Scouse Hibee
03-09-2011, 11:36 AM
You enter any competition and you have to abide by the organisers rules, if you are proved to have broken them either during or after the competition then you are liable to be disqualified.

Sas_The_Hibby
03-09-2011, 12:22 PM
Worryingly from looking at some Celtic forums there is an element of their fans who seemed not to want to get back into Europe despite the obvious justification - they think better chance of winning league if they are not in Europe - know Hibs fans can be even more parochial but depressing viewpoint (even if not majority) regardless.

But some respite for Scottish football at a time we need it, thought UEFA would pander to Swiss team.

You say that, but I really do think we stand a better chance of lifting the East of Scotland Shield, by avoiding Europe. :greengrin

Peevemor
03-09-2011, 12:45 PM
The difference in this case is UEFA are based in Switzerland as are Sion, and therefor bound by Swiss Law and ultimately Swiss Courts.

So if a a senile Scottish judge ruled that me and my mates could field a team of 25 players in the Scottish Cup final, without playing any qualification rounds, the SFA would have to accept that?

You enter any competition and you have to abide by the organisers rules, if you are proved to have broken them either during or after the competition then you are liable to be disqualified.

:agree:

Sas_The_Hibby
03-09-2011, 12:48 PM
So if a a senile Scottish judge ruled that me and my mates could field a team of 25 players in the Scottish Cup final, without playing any qualification rounds, the SFA would have to accept that?

:agree:

Is this a way of Hibs finally ending the Scottish Cup hoodoo - assuming we ever get to the final again, of course!

NOLA
03-09-2011, 02:19 PM

And they say they get no decisions!
and your point is what? sellik did nothing wrong, they should have been reinstated, no question.

Kaiser1962
03-09-2011, 02:27 PM

Football in general, and uefa in particular, is particularly vulnerable on a number of levels to being challenged through the courts.

ekhibee
03-09-2011, 05:33 PM

Sorry but I have to disagree with you there, Celtic did raise it before the 1st leg, never mind the 2nd, and quite rightly too. There are plenty of instances when teams are punished for fielding ineligible players, and whether it was Celtic, Hibs or any other team, they have every right to complain. The only other option I could have seen would be if Celtic had refused to play Sion because they knew Sion were breaking the rules, and they would have been heavily fined for it and probably booted out themselves. Don't think they did anything wrong here. And that certainly doesn't mean I like Celtic either, I can't stand them, but justice, in this case, seems to have been done.

Sylar
04-09-2011, 09:42 AM
Sorry but I have to disagree with you there, Celtic did raise it before the 1st leg, never mind the 2nd, and quite rightly too. There are plenty of instances when teams are punished for fielding ineligible players, and whether it was Celtic, Hibs or any other team, they have every right to complain. The only other option I could have seen would be if Celtic had refused to play Sion because they knew Sion were breaking the rules, and they would have been heavily fined for it and probably booted out themselves. Don't think they did anything wrong here. And that certainly doesn't mean I like Celtic either, I can't stand them, but justice, in this case, seems to have been done.

I don't mean this to sound argumentative, but do you have a link? I genuinely hadn't heard a sniff from them until they had been ousted.

On the BBC yesterday, I found an article which stated that FIFA had granted Sion permission to sign the Egyptian goalkeeper in question (under their guidelines), but UEFA imposed the transfer ban anyway, so Sion seem well voiced in their complaints at the initial transfer embargo.