PDA

View Full Version : Defence - a massive worry - what should our back four be?

AlbertK86
01-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Is it just me or is anybody worried at our massive lack of experience in this area. Seriously thought this would be addressed in the transfer window.

One or two injuries or suspensions and we will be in serious trouble.

Still think Booth should be moved into left mid and we should have brought in 2 no nonsense experienced defenders to fill the LB and CH positions.

Hanlon and Stephens both have potential but both are prone to massive errors

So my back four has to be

Towell Murray O'Hanlon Hanlon (only due to lack of anybody else)

madabouthibs
01-09-2011, 05:55 PM
That would be mine too, Towell, Murray, O'Hanlon and Hanlon.

smurf
01-09-2011, 06:18 PM
We must stick with Booth at left back.

Towell, O'Hanlon, Hanlon and Booth.

That's our strongest back four. So far they have only had ONE game as a unit.

Franck Stanton
01-09-2011, 06:20 PM
As you say, if O'Hanlon gets crocked, and given his history, that would appear to be more of a "when" rather than an "If", we are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. However, from players we have the back 4 I would select would be :- Towel, O'Hanlon, Palsson, Booth. Think Hanlon either doesn't have it at this level or is needing a rest to boost his confidence, [ strongly suspect he doesn't have it though].
Whilst I like Murray as a player, and he has been a good servant to the club, he is now too slow and can no longer cut it at SPL level for a full 90 min alough could be utalised as a squad player and appear for last half-hour or so. Palsson has all the attributes to form a good partnership at C/H with O'Hanlon. Just my opinion lads.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2011, 06:22 PM
That would be mine too, Towell, Murray, O'Hanlon and Hanlon.

At the moment I like the sound of that. Possibly a midfield of Booth, Palsson, Ozzie, Ivan with Gaz and Lee up front.

Wouldn't mind experimenting with DW in midfield.

I know things aren't great right now (understatement) but I do feel when everyone is fit and up to speed we've got the bones of a good team. We just need to find a settled team and give them game time.

AlbertK86
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
As you say, if O'Hanlon gets crocked, and given his history, that would appear to be more of a "when" rather than an "If", we are up the proverbial creek without a paddle. However, from players we have the back 4 I would select would be :- Towel, O'Hanlon, Palsson, Booth. Think Hanlon either doesn't have it at this level or is needing a rest to boost his confidence, [ strongly suspect he doesn't have it though].
Whilst I like Murray as a player, and he has been a good servant to the club, he is now too slow and can no longer cut it at SPL level for a full 90 min alough could be utalised as a squad player and appear for last half-hour or so. Palsson has all the attributes to form a good partnership at C/H with O'Hanlon. Just my opinion lads.

yep I did consider Palsson at CH as he does have the attributes but I would like to see him and Ozzy team up in central mid as i think he can do a great job as a holding midfield player given a wee run there. Also want Murray in the defence for his experience and talking

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2011, 07:02 PM
yep I did consider Palsson at CH as he does have the attributes but I would like to see him and Ozzy team up in central mid as i think he can do a great job as a holding midfield player given a wee run there. Also want Murray in the defence for his experience and talking

Totally agree. :agree:

Palsson seems like a player who could play anywhere on the pitch but physically he looks like the perfect midfielder, as does ozzy (when fully fit)

I like the look of O'Hanlon but think some experience like Murray at CH would work a treat. Booth left mid for me and Hanlon LB.

Franck Stanton
01-09-2011, 07:03 PM

All about opinions, who's to say your selection is right/wrong. Personally I can remember Murray at c/h in cup game v Ayr Unt and he didn't look too clever. Still, may just have been an off-night eh.

EK_Hibs
01-09-2011, 07:04 PM

That's our strongest back four.

Spot on!

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2011, 07:09 PM
All about opinions, who's to say your selection is right/wrong. Personally I can remember Murray at c/h in cup game v Ayr Unt and he didn't look too clever. Still, may just have been an off-night eh.

The whole team wasn't very clever that night. :confused:

It's funny as I can remember Murray getting slaughtered as a fresh 17 year old and now getting the same treatment. And people wonder why our players can't wait to leave us :rolleyes:

Spike Mandela
01-09-2011, 07:11 PM
Basically we have the same dreadful defence as last year with O'Hanlon added in place of Dickoh. Really thought more emphasis would be put on defence.:confused:

carnoustiehibee
01-09-2011, 07:15 PM
I'd play Murray as sweeper with ohanlon and Stevens/Hanlon infront, with booth and towel as wingbacks.

Palsson scott and osbourne midfield and gaz plus whoever upfront.

AlbertK86
01-09-2011, 07:21 PM
The whole team wasn't very clever that night. :confused:

It's funny as I can remember Murray getting slaughtered as a fresh 17 year old and now getting the same treatment. And people wonder why our players can't wait to leave us :rolleyes:

I remember that too but then he had a stormer against AEK and hardly looked back

Ayr game a one off if you ask me. Was immense beside Caldwell for a year and yep I acknowledge that was a few years ago.

yep not the best player we've ever had but knows the game better than most others at ER these days. He can read the game and I'm sure him and O'Hanlon can keep the young boys right whilst giving us a stronger spine.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2011, 07:24 PM
I'd play Murray as sweeper with ohanlon and Stevens/Hanlon infront, with booth and towel as wingbacks.

Interesting thought. I do think back to McLeish with his 5-3-2. I know everyone will say that we had Sauzee but I do like that formation. Whilst it's not in 'fashion' these days, it may suit us nicely. Booth can certainly get forward and cross, as can Towel.

AlbertK86
01-09-2011, 07:32 PM

Yep would certainly be worth a shot as these 3 in midfield should offer adequate protection to the back three.

Would be better than what has gone on recently.

If going with that formation would try O'Hanlon on left of the back three with Stephens on right. That way O'Hanlon may offer a bit of protection and on field coaching to Booth.

smurf
01-09-2011, 07:39 PM
Basically we have the same dreadful defence as last year with O'Hanlon added in place of Dickoh. Really thought more emphasis would be put on defence.:confused:

Well exactly... however, they must know what they are doing...

Well so we are told. However, thus far the results are erm...

Walter
01-09-2011, 07:56 PM
I remember that too but then he had a stormer against AEK and hardly looked back

Ayr game a one off if you ask me. Was immense beside Caldwell for a year and yep I acknowledge that was a few years ago.

yep not the best player we've ever had but knows the game better than most others at ER these days. He can read the game and I'm sure him and O'Hanlon can keep the young boys right whilst giving us a stronger spine.

:thumbsup:

Hobogjh
01-09-2011, 08:21 PM
After our display on Sunday, I personally think our defence lacks confidence & feel this could be a longLong season at the foot of the table.:flag:

sunshine1875
02-09-2011, 05:56 AM
After our display on Sunday, I personally think our defence lacks confidence & feel this could be a longLong season at the foot of the table.:flag:

LTYF! :devil:

sunshine1875
02-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Whatever we select for the back four it will be poor! This has to be the greatest error amongst many from managers in recent seasons. Why have we constantly failed to build the strong foundations at the back? Other teams are built on rock, ours is built on sand!

We only have to look at the back fours from Sunday.

Towell - O'Hanlon - Hanlon - Booth

Hamill - Webster - Zaliukas - Grainger

As a defensive unit, which is their primary focus, I know which I would rather! Not that I am saying that theirs is good, it is just better!

Dinkydoo
02-09-2011, 06:15 AM
We only have to look at the back fours from Sunday.

Towell - O'Hanlon - Hanlon - Booth

Hamill - Webster - Zaliukas - Grainger

As a defensive unit, which is their primary focus, I know which I would rather! Not that I am saying that theirs is good, it is just better!

It's certainly much more experienced, which is a major factor in our defensive problems -we have very little of it.

Now that the window has shut CC for me really has to focus on making our midfield solid to offer the young and inexperienced back four some well needed protection - a left mid who can track back properly and a centre pairing who can hold would be a bloody start.

We must show signs of improvement against the sheep.

Craig_in_Prague
02-09-2011, 06:21 AM
I can't get my head round it all... All the new signings over the last 2 transfer windows and we are set to have ANOTHER season of losing too many goals...Seriously gash defence that will leak goals....... And we don't have a creative midfield to get us enough goals at the other end.

Pishy season ahead IMHO.

Speedway
02-09-2011, 08:24 AM
Towell O'Hanlon Palsson Murray

hibs0666
02-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Eh? Our defence at this time last year was Thicot, Bamba, Hogg and Hanlon. We have an entirely new defence compared with last year.

Gatecrasher
02-09-2011, 08:37 AM

That would be my back 4 as well

Saorsa
02-09-2011, 08:44 AM

That's our strongest back four. So far they have only had ONE game as a unit.I agree with this. There was a post on another thread, think it was the Hanlon to left back thread which for me summed up what is a major part of the problem and that is lack of cover from the midfield.

Phil MaGlass
02-09-2011, 08:47 AM
Booth should not be anywhere near defence, he is a very good player in the making in midfield, but being skinned time and time again in the one move doesnt give any player or his own defence confidence.

number 27
02-09-2011, 09:09 AM

This is our best back four. I think the defence is becoming a scapegoat for the general lack of organisation and particularly the shambles that passes for a midfield. We know there is a lack of midfield creativity but they are also failing defensively. Our full backs are left exposed and midfield runners are not being picked up.

For me, part of the problem is the way we seem to be chopping and changing systems and personnel. It looks as if players dont really know what their role in the team is, On Sunday it looked to me as if half the team were playing a high line pressing game at the same time as the rest of the team were sitting in and trying to counter attack.

JimBHibees
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Agree as you say they have only had one game together so will get better the more they play together and the more they get support from the midfield.

I would also have Palsson and Osbourne in central midfield.

hibsbollah
02-09-2011, 09:17 AM
Id stick with the four who played against Hertz.

Ive come to the conclusion that whoever we bought would become infected with the creeping negativity and loser mentality that drips from every pore of the club at the moment. Maicon could be our right back and some .net wag or loudmouth at the front of the east would remind him how some no-mark welsh gadgie tore him to shreds in a european game. Before you know it Maicon would be pish, no hibs class and we'd be calling for the reinstatement of Michael Hart or someone wi a bit o 'dig'

Exiled Hibby
02-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Maicon is too one footed for our highly skilled defence:greengrin

In all seriousness though I would agree with the earlier posters who wanted to revert to 5-3-2. Give Towell and Booth the licence to push forward and bolster midfield. Gives us attacking and defending numbers.

I hate to say Murray is past it, but my back 5 would be Towell, Stephens, O'Hanlon, Hanlon, Booth.

Midfield Palsson, Osbourne and Thornhill

Up-front GAZ AND Sodje.

Sproule, Griffiths, Agogo etc could all be in for Sodje and I wouldnt be concerned.

matty_f
02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Booth is a good left back that has been left horribly exposed by a lackluster midfield, IMHO.

I'd definitely keep him there, and just make sure we've got someone who can double up with him on the left side when we need to defend.

I think our best back four is Towell, O'Hanlon, Hanlon, Booth. I think we need to stick with it and not change it unless we absolutely have to. A back four develops over time, but it needs game time to do so. Farting about with key areas of the team has been one of our biggest problems in recent years. I mind days when you could name the team from 1-11 (or the position equivalent) as you knew what player played where when everyone was fit.

If you want a good, solid team, you really need to be working out your strongest 11 and sticking with it, IMHO.