PDA

View Full Version : De Graff contract terminated

Winston Ingram
31-08-2011, 09:41 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110831/transfer-window-summary_2262950_2437807

Capt Mainwaring
31-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Another royal shambles of an acquisition!

On the basis there were no mug teams out there who we could sell or loan to, the contract termination seems the best outcome for all parties.

IWasThere2016
31-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Elvis is deid boys! :wink:

iwasthere1972
31-08-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/20110831/transfer-window-summary_2262950_2437807

Great news. Another dud off the books.

basehibby
31-08-2011, 10:44 PM
I thought he had some ability and thought he might come good but it appears I was wrong. His main problem was that most games seemed to pass him by - clearly the legs gone never to return! Good luck to him anyway :bye:

hibernator
01-09-2011, 02:07 AM
This is a guy who should have done better, he will get a team no problem as he is now a free agent and can get himself a signing on fee to ease his pain, the thing is are we clearing his wage for a reason other than saving ? there will be a few players out there without contracts so the window will not matter and they will be desperate to sign up to a team before they are forgotten.

sahib
01-09-2011, 09:13 AM
This is a guy who should have done better, he will get a team no problem as he is now a free agent and can get himself a signing on fee to ease his pain, the thing is are we clearing his wage for a reason other than saving ? there will be a few players out there without contracts so the window will not matter and they will be desperate to sign up to a team before they are forgotten.

It will have cost us money to buy up his contract, assuming it had two years to run. So I would imagine cost at least a year's salary. Quite a lot of posts on here praising his performance against Sunderland and I hoped he could do a job for us this season, but not really a great loss to the team. Would any of them be a great loss to the team?

Andy74
01-09-2011, 09:24 AM

Unfortunately in Thornhill, Scott and Palsson he seems to have been replaced by players who don't perform any better.

IanM
01-09-2011, 10:11 AM
Unfortunately in Thornhill, Scott and Palsson he seems to have been replaced by players who don't perform any better

This season Scott hasnt had a chance and palsson has been played out of position all games bar 1 but agree with Thornill the imposter

IWasThere2016
01-09-2011, 11:49 AM
Unfortunately in Thornhill, Scott and Palsson he seems to have been replaced by players who don't perform any better.

There was me thinking you rated EDG too - as in, up there with Alan O'Brien :wink: :greengrin

Franck is God
01-09-2011, 11:59 AM
It will have cost us money to buy up his contract, assuming it had two years to run. So I would imagine cost at least a year's salary. Quite a lot of posts on here praising his performance against Sunderland and I hoped he could do a job for us this season, but not really a great loss to the team. Would any of them be a great loss to the team?

According to the Hibs website his contract was mutually cancelled so he will have had nothing more than his wages up to last week.

I actually think it shows a great attitude from the player as he could quite easily have sat all season not playing just picking up his wages but he agreed to leave and find himself a new club rather than do that.

His move to ER didn't work out which is a shame as I had high hopes for him after his first few games and I hope he finds a new club quickly.

Golden Bear
01-09-2011, 12:02 PM

Aye OK Yogi we'll believe you.

:rolleyes:

Zazu62
01-09-2011, 12:04 PM
Think if he had taken that chance against the huns (open goal?) things would have been different

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 12:14 PM
According to the Hibs website his contract was mutually cancelled so he will have had nothing more than his wages up to last week.

I actually think it shows a great attitude from the player as he could quite easily have sat all season not playing just picking up his wages but he agreed to leave and find himself a new club rather than do that.

His move to ER didn't work out which is a shame as I had high hopes for him after his first few games and I hope he finds a new club quickly.

Regardless of the fact it was mutual they will still have had to pay him up a negotiated part of his remaining contract wage. It is always going to have to be mutual as neither party will have the sole right just to terminate the contract, the only reasons for getting out of it would be some for of missconduct on his part or the clubs, which was not the case.

In any event with one year left on a healthy wage I would say we may have taken a fair dunt on that one, but he was going at the end of the season at the latest so best for all parties concerned.

Andy74
01-09-2011, 12:19 PM
Aye OK Yogi we'll believe you.

Yes, that never fails to add to the discussion.

Golden Bear
01-09-2011, 12:33 PM
Yes, that never fails to add to the discussion.

Thornton, Scott & Palsson have all been inconsistent in their Hibs careers so far but at least they have already proven that they do have something to offer. I wish I could have said the same about Edwin. (and I'm not influenced by which Manager signed which players by the way)

Hibernia Na Eir
01-09-2011, 01:32 PM
good players don't want to play for Hibs. recent history shows this...

Jack
01-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Regardless of the fact it was mutual they will still have had to pay him up a negotiated part of his remaining contract wage. It is always going to have to be mutual as neither party will have the sole right just to terminate the contract, the only reasons for getting out of it would be some for of missconduct on his part or the clubs, which was not the case. In any event with one year left on a healthy wage I would say we may have taken a fair dunt on that one, but he was going at the end of the season at the latest so best for all parties concerned. Who is to say he didn't buy out the rest of his contract knowing that in a years time he'd be a forgotten man and going nowhere?

sahib
01-09-2011, 03:12 PM
Regardless of the fact it was mutual they will still have had to pay him up a negotiated part of his remaining contract wage. It is always going to have to be mutual as neither party will have the sole right just to terminate the contract, the only reasons for getting out of it would be some for of missconduct on his part or the clubs, which was not the case.

In any event with one year left on a healthy wage I would say we may have taken a fair dunt on that one, but he was going at the end of the season at the latest so best for all parties concerned.

Thanks. I thought, wrongly, he came on a three year contract.

JimBHibees
01-09-2011, 03:13 PM
Who is to say he didn't buy out the rest of his contract knowing that in a years time he'd be a forgotten man and going nowhere?

No doubt he will have a team lined up in Holland who probably wouldnt have paid a fee for him but happy to pick him up on a free.

The Voice Of Reason
01-09-2011, 05:52 PM
No doubt he will have a team lined up in Holland who probably wouldnt have paid a fee for him but happy to pick him up on a free.

Aye, a team managed by David Blunkett or Stevie Wonder. :wink:

The guy is murder, we signed the only Dutch footballer who can't control a ball properly and can't run! :confused: :grr: Even worse when you consider that he was our Headline Signing !

An absoloute disgrace of a signing from Hughes and Rice, the worst one I can remember. Even the shocking O'Brien was better than De Graaf, at least O'Brien had pace for christ sake!

Well rid.

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 06:19 PM
Who is to say he didn't buy out the rest of his contract knowing that in a years time he'd be a forgotten man and going nowhere?

I would put my house on the fact that he did not buy out his contract and it was hibs that had to pay out him.

When was the last time a player that was not getting a move for huge money to a big club? If he was moving from Hibs on 6k a week to Man city on 60k a week then maybe...but not likely.

I cant see any reason why EDG would give up probably the biggest wage at the club for nothing, in fact based on the above pay. Just so that he would not be a forgotten man, and get a new club paying a fraction of what he currently gets.

Big Frank
01-09-2011, 06:30 PM
wage thief.

Hermit Crab
01-09-2011, 06:45 PM

:shocked:

EasterRoad4Ever
01-09-2011, 06:46 PM
Difficult to blame EDG for his time at Hibs. Came to ER with a decent pedigree and - as I recall - had a lot to say tot he press when he arrived about how much he was going to add to the team & SPL. 100% blame goes to the IDIOTS who signed the guy. He was clearly past it - couldn't run, couldn't pass, and will be remembered for his ability to miss the goal when it was easier to score. A complete waste of money which sums up the ability of Hibs as a management team to talent spot.

Glad its's over.

ronaldo7
01-09-2011, 07:36 PM
Thornton, Scott & Palsson have all been inconsistent in their Hibs careers so far but at least they have already proven that they do have something to offer. I wish I could have said the same about Edwin. (and I'm not influenced by which Manager signed which players by the way)

Is that the guy with the soft centre:wink:

Hainan Hibs
01-09-2011, 07:45 PM
I had high hopes for De Graff, came with a great reputation (and during a year in Breda I found they still rate him highly there), came from a far more technical league, and I thought he would be a key player in taking us higher than 4th.

Wasn't to be, the SPL seemed to be too quick and too hoof for him, and he seemed to be at the wrong end of the life cycle for a player, backed up by his unseen work at Excelsior on loan.

Seems like a nice guy though and I wish him all the best in the rest of his career.

Scouse Hibee
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
I would put my house on the fact that he did not buy out his contract and it was hibs that had to pay out him.

When was the last time a player that was not getting a move for huge money to a big club? If he was moving from Hibs on 6k a week to Man city on 60k a week then maybe...but not likely.

I cant see any reason why EDG would give up probably the biggest wage at the club for nothing, in fact based on the above pay. Just so that he would not be a forgotten man, and get a new club paying a fraction of what he currently gets.

Consider yourself homeless :agree:

EDG was not paid a penny by Hibs for the remaining terms of his contract.

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 08:02 PM

Incorrect.

Jim44
01-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Incorrect.

What exalted circle do you guys frequent to know such intimate details of a complete stranger's financial status? :rolleyes:

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
What exalted circle do you guys frequent to know such intimate details of a complete stranger's financial status? :rolleyes:

Lets just look at it in its most simple terms, if your were due say 200k or whatever it was, would you just walk away from it? I am looking at this from a very basic stance, how many players are you aware of that have walked away from money that they were due from a contract?

Scouse Hibee
01-09-2011, 08:13 PM

Not sure what circles Albion moves in to be honest, in fact I think he's just going round in them..............................me on the other hand :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
01-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I think that EDG will be as happy to see the back of ER as many Hibs fans will be to see the back of him. Just a player that came with a decent reputation but couldn't deliver and it didn't work out. This is a football thing rather than a Hibs thing though. More clubs than ours have been stung more often and more deeply than us.

scoopyboy
02-09-2011, 05:18 AM

I don't know if he did or didn't receive a pay off.

Last week however there was a Dutch club lined up but fell through because EDG reckoned HFC were due him money.

I can't see that he left without some kind of settlement, but that is me guessing.

Last season even with the likes of Deek, Miller and Stokes on the books the two highest earners were EDG and Michael Hart, so it can only be good for the club that EDG has left the building.

Craig_in_Prague
02-09-2011, 07:21 AM

Last week however there was a Dutch club lined up but fell through because EDG reckoned HFC were due him money.

I can't see that he left without some kind of settlement, but that is me guessing.

Last season even with the likes of Deek, Miller and Stokes on the books the two highest earners were EDG and Michael Hart, so it can only be good for the club that EDG has left the building.

So do we thank Hughes for that, or is this RP's job to negotiate wages?

Either way, what a very sad fact if true - which i believe it is.

marinello59
02-09-2011, 07:31 AM
So do we thank Hughes for that, or is this RP's job to negotiate wages?

Either way, what a very sad fact if true - which i believe it is.

If it is true then it tends to suggest that Petrie backed the managers judgement.
So let's thank them both.............do Hallmark do a special card for this?

Speedway
02-09-2011, 08:01 AM

In light of Scoop's post above, the phrase 'Unworkable Legacy' seems to take on more meaning.

mcvie7
02-09-2011, 08:22 AM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/hibernian/2010/06/17/new-signing-edwin-de-graaf-can-be-hibs-claudio-reyna-says-old-pal-mols-86908-22339289/

haha this makes me laugh

Gatecrasher
02-09-2011, 08:29 AM
In light of Scoop's post above, the phrase 'Unworkable Legacy' seems to take on more meaning.

Its quite scary that Hughes tracked Hart for so long and still considered him to be worthy of a higher paid wage.

Nailrod
02-09-2011, 09:58 AM
An absoloute disgrace of a signing from Hughes and Rice, the worst one I can remember. Even the shocking O'Brien was better than De Graaf, at least O'Brien had pace for christ sake!Now come on. EDG was woeful, but AOB was unarguably the worst player I have ever seen in a Hibs strip in over forty-five years watching the team. A 'winger' - a 'forward'! - an 'attacker'! - with no goals and one assist in two seasons. Most of the Hibs Ladies were better than AOB.

The Voice Of Reason
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Now come on. EDG was woeful, but AOB was unarguably the worst player I have ever seen in a Hibs strip in over forty-five years watching the team. A 'winger' - a 'forward'! - an 'attacker'! - with no goals and one assist in two seasons. Most of the Hibs Ladies were better than AOB.

Agree that AOB was murder (hence my use of the word "shocking" to describe him). He did have pace though, De Graaf had nothing !!!!

Anyway, we are well rid of De Graaf. Anyone with any semblance of football knowledge would have realised he was murder as soon as they saw him (even against Maribor when he scored 2 goals (one deflected off him) it was plain to see that he was slow, couldn't pass or control a ball.

I understand that neither Hughes or Rice actually watched De Graaf in the flesh before they signed him - lesson learned there !

BEEJ
02-09-2011, 12:11 PM

Staggering.

Let it be known once and for all that this was the reason Hughes had to go. Nothing to do with the Board having its head turned by a vocal group of supporters who simply never liked the guy.

Andy74
02-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Staggering.

Let it be known once and for all that this was the reason Hughes had to go. Nothing to do with the Board having its head turned by a vocal group of supporters who simply never liked the guy.

I think that's more than a little OTT.

Players either work out or they don't and you can speculate all we like about who earned more than someone else but even if they were top earners that's neither here nor there.

Both players had good pedigee and on the face of it were good signings in areas we needed.

Hart has struggled with various injuries, okay, maybe something that has happened throghout his career but in our market if you want a decent player you have to take some chances on getting what you think is quality in.

De Graaf didn't work out but was nowhere near as bad as the stuff posted on here. Had a change of manager just shortly after joining so who knows, if he had carried on playing and got himself up to speed it could have worked out under Hughes where it didn't under CC.

Both players were still here incidentally when Petrie suggested the unworkaable legacy had been swept away. Whatever he meant with that nonsense it can't have been Hart and De Graaf.

Hughes also made a number of good and effective signings and also turned around a decent profit. I'd suggest that he was sacked more for the results over his laast few montths than the fact he signed those two players on whatever they were earning.

So far CC would have a bit of explaining to do over how most of his signings (the ones that have been with us since January) have worked out if that was the basis on which you could get sacked or not.

The Voice Of Reason
02-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Players either work out or they don't and you can speculate all we like about who earned more than someone else but even if they were top earners that's neither here nor there.

Both players had good pedigee and on the face of it were good signings in areas we needed.

Hart has struggled with various injuries, okay, maybe something that has happened throghout his career but in our market if you want a decent player you have to take some chances on getting what you think is quality in.

De Graaf didn't work out but was nowhere near as bad as the stuff posted on here. Had a change of manager just shortly after joining so who knows, if he had carried on playing and got himself up to speed it could have worked out under Hughes where it didn't under CC.

Both players were still here incidentally when Petrie suggested the unworkaable legacy had been swept away. Whatever he meant with that nonsense it can't have been Hart and De Graaf.

Hughes also made a number of good and effective signings and also turned around a decent profit. I'd suggest that he was sacked more for the results over his laast few montths than the fact he signed those two players on whatever they were earning.

So far CC would have a bit of explaining to do over how most of his signings (the ones that have been with us since January) have worked out if that was the basis on which you could get sacked or not.

The bits in bold :-

1. A good pedigree is one thing, but simply being past it is another. I have it on good authority that neither Hughes or Rice watched De Graaf in the flesh before they signed him.

2. I am sorry, but if you think De Graaf was any good at all then you either didn't watch him play or you do not know anything about football ! The guy was rank, he lacked the basics - this was plain to see even in the Maribor game at Easter Rd where his 2 "goals" (one deflected off him) masked the fact that he was murder !

I salute your indefaticability, but you need to face facts my friend ! :thumbsup:

:aok:

Andy74
02-09-2011, 02:04 PM

1. A good pedigree is one thing, but simply being past it is another. I have it on good authority that neither Hughes or Rice watched De Graaf in the flesh before they signed him.

2. I am sorry, but if you think De Graaf was any good at all then you either didn't watch him play or you do not know anything about football ! The guy was rank, he lacked the basics - this was plain to see even in the Maribor game at Easter Rd where his 2 "goals" (one deflected off him) masked the fact that he was murder !

I salute your indefaticability, but you need to face facts my friend ! :thumbsup:

I think your second point is a bit daft and actually suggests that you know less about football.

It's totally valid to say it didn't work out for him or that he didn't suit the game here or was even too slow.

To suggest a guy who has played at a high level all his career including the Dutch B squad and captained a team in the Dutch top division lacked basic football skills is just silly.

silverhibee
02-09-2011, 02:33 PM

I take it Hart is still the highest paid player at the club now, i wonder if Hibs have tried to get rid of him as well but he maybe see's this as his last pay day and is willing to sit about at ER and pick up his wages, or even worse that he is still in CC plans once he gets himself of the treatment table.

The Voice Of Reason
02-09-2011, 03:03 PM
I think your second point is a bit daft and actually suggests that you know less about football.

It's totally valid to say it didn't work out for him or that he didn't suit the game here or was even too slow.

To suggest a guy who has played at a high level all his career including the Dutch B squad and captained a team in the Dutch top division lacked basic football skills is just silly.

I really do salute your indefaticability when it comes to De Graaf !

By the time he played for us it was clear that his first touch was murder (his 2nd touch was more often than not a tackle!), he was really slow (or one paced to be kind) and his passing was poor.

Pedigree is one thing, but by the time he played for us he lacked the basics, as stated above.

basehibby
02-09-2011, 03:12 PM

Well I disagree with that for sure - the only basic he lacked was an engine - something he was apparently renowned for before leaving Holland but which seemed to have blown a gasket prior to his arrival at ER. He was undoubtably a better player than AOB anyway - even without any pace - and if you couldn't see that then I wonder if YOU know anything about football at all VOICE OF REASON :rolleyes:

The Voice Of Reason
02-09-2011, 03:23 PM
Well I disagree with that for sure - the only basic he lacked was an engine - something he was apparently renowned for before leaving Holland but which seemed to have blown a gasket prior to his arrival at ER. He was undoubtably a better player than AOB anyway - even without any pace - and if you couldn't see that then I wonder if YOU know anything about football at all VOICE OF REASON :rolleyes:

So you thought he had a good first touch and was a good passer of the ball then ?!?

:faf: :faf:

BEEJ
02-09-2011, 04:18 PM

So Managers should just be judging players based on what they have achieved maybe three or four seasons ago, rather than assessing to the full their recent careers, performances, injuries etc? :confused:

And you believe that on the limited budget we have available we can afford to give out two very significant contracts to players who once had a good pedigree but who are clearly now well past their sell-by date, largely due to injury. Or does that rule just apply to Yogi in your book?

Each of them is a shadow of the player he once was.

Not like you to pin the blame for under-performance at CC's door. :greengrin EdG didn't even set the heather alight when he was on loan to lowly Excelsior earlier this year.

So you don't think the fact that EdG had been shipped out on loan for six months and was highly unlikely to feature in CC's plans this season would have been factored into RP's 'nonsensical' comment?

Hughes was ALWAYS banging on about squad development and his long-term vision for the team.

So off the back of a very poor run-in from mid-February 2010 onwards when his summer transfer dealings were going to be key to turning the squad around and when he needed to demonstrate that his plans for developing the squad were beginning to take shape - he blows much of his budget on de Graaf and Hart. And you don't think that's an issue.

Andy, I have the distinct impression that if it it had been CC that had signed EdG you would be thrilled about the player's departure from ER. :wink:

IWasThere2016
02-09-2011, 08:33 PM
So Managers should just be judging players based on what they have achieved maybe three or four seasons ago, rather than assessing to the full their recent careers, performances, injuries etc? :confused:

And you believe that on the limited budget we have available we can afford to give out two very significant contracts to players who once had a good pedigree but who are clearly now well past their sell-by date, largely due to injury. Or does that rule just apply to Yogi in your book?

Each of them is a shadow of the player he once was.

Not like you to pin the blame for under-performance at CC's door. :greengrin EdG didn't even set the heather alight when he was on loan to lowly Excelsior earlier this year.

So you don't think the fact that EdG had been shipped out on loan for six months and was highly unlikely to feature in CC's plans this season would have been factored into RP's 'nonsensical' comment?

Hughes was ALWAYS banging on about squad development and his long-term vision for the team.

So off the back of a very poor run-in from mid-February 2010 onwards when his summer transfer dealings were going to be key to turning the squad around and when he needed to demonstrate that his plans for developing the squad were beginning to take shape - he blows much of his budget on de Graaf and Hart. And you don't think that's an issue.

Andy, I have the distinct impression that if it it had been CC that had signed EdG you would be thrilled about the player's departure from ER. :wink:

Spot on. Hughes signed a complete dud in EDG. No 74 defends the players whilst having a pop at Palsson, Scott etc :faf:

As Scoops says EDG and that other huddy, Hughes saddled us with, Hart were the top earners. The former on £3,800 if he played and we won! Scandalous! :agree:

Hiber-nation
02-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Some on here still think De Graaf was a player. I can't really believe this. If you're good in a bad team you stand out. Nothing to do with where in the midfield you're playing and all that guff. He stood out as being not good enough. A dud, pure and simple.

nortonhibby
02-09-2011, 09:40 PM

RP Will be a happy man he has saved money:greengrin aye Yogi knows a player another Dud At least he is off the wage bill.

BEEJ
02-09-2011, 10:38 PM
As Scoops says EDG and that other huddy, Hughes saddled us with, Hart were the top earners. The former on £3,800 if he played and we won! Scandalous! :agree:
Did well out of his 13 minute substitute's appearance at Inverness, then! :greengrin

SouthamptonHibs
03-09-2011, 12:54 AM
good bye he was brutal! hail hail

The Voice Of Reason
03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
Some on here still think De Graaf was a player. I can't really believe this. If you're good in a bad team you stand out. Nothing to do with where in the midfield you're playing and all that guff. He stood out as being not good enough. A dud, pure and simple.

Spot on. :agree:

Scouse Hibee
03-09-2011, 11:40 AM

:agree: It beggars belief, probably the same people who thought Maka was a goalie!

scoopyboy
03-09-2011, 02:50 PM
I take it Hart is still the highest paid player at the club now, i wonder if Hibs have tried to get rid of him as well but he maybe see's this as his last pay day and is willing to sit about at ER and pick up his wages, or even worse that he is still in CC plans once he gets himself of the treatment table.

Don't know if GOC got more than Hart when he signed.

Hart made the right noises in the press last month about he would leave Hibs if he was finished as he didn't want to get wages under false pretences, however we will see.

The Voice Of Reason
03-09-2011, 05:08 PM
:agree: It beggars belief, probably the same people who thought Maka was a goalie!

No, no, no - basehibby is right, all De Graaf lacked was an engine ! :faf:

Laughable and quite frankly, unbelievable ! :faf: :faf:

Horse
03-09-2011, 10:15 PM
De Graaf came to Hibs with good intentions - he had played at a decent level for most of his career so to be fair he had every right to be confident of being a success here, as did the fans and the manager obviously had confidence in the player. For one reason or another he never had any luck and it just didn't work out - a situation that neither the fans, De Graaf or the manager wanted however these things happen in football. I don't think he's a terrible player he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I don't see the need to be critical of De Graaf, he never wanted to fail at Hibs so I'll simply wish him all the best for the future and thank him for trying.

Bostonhibby
03-09-2011, 10:23 PM
No, no, no - basehibby is right, all De Graaf lacked was an engine ! :faf:

Laughable and quite frankly, unbelievable ! :faf: :faf:

Aye, and 4 tyres and a steering wheel..............................