PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Directors

The Tubs
31-08-2011, 06:00 PM
I've just read this on the BBC:

West Bromwich Albion sporting and technical director Dan Ashworth talking on BBC Radio 5 live about how to work the transfer window: "It's an on-going process, you tend to look one or two windows in advance. Since I've been doing this job we've changed leagues nearly every year, apart from last year where we stayed up. We tend to run with two lists and try to plan ahead. Of course, the one thing you can't plan for is injuries, or people coming in for your better players, instead you tend to work on weaknesses in your squad. All clubs have expectations, you're always under pressure. I'm not under as much as the manager, who live result to result, week to week. For me it's a bit longer term."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/9575900.stm

I think it makes more sense having someone like this (i.e an ex-pro) on the board to help with transfers and giving continuity to our signing strategy, rather than just business folk - especially when we seem to sack our managers every 18 months. I can also imagine that he had something to do with sacking Di Matteo when Hodgson became available.