PDA

View Full Version : Ian Murray

The Optimist
31-08-2011, 04:10 PM
When is he going to take a leaf out of gary nevilles book and hang up the boots, I am a big fan of his and what he has done for the club but he must be aware that he can no longer influence the game like he used too.Needs to step down and let a younger player fill his boots!!We need creativity in midfield and he just cant give us that anymore.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Get your tin hat on :tin hat:, the 3 folk who still think he's the Hibs Viera will be along very soon to kick your ass.

i agree, he's part of the problem we are bottom of this piss poor league, now we have folk wanting him back in at left back. :faf:

Springbank
31-08-2011, 04:26 PM
harsh

i was happy to see his name on the teamsheet at the pbs.

100% commitment, i respect that

pick on thornhill and osbourne first, in my view, they offer nothing like that

Russ
31-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Get your tin hat on :tin hat:, the 3 folk who still think he's the Hibs Viera will be along very soon to kick your ass.

i agree, he's part of the problem we are bottom of this piss poor league, now we have folk wanting him back in at left back. :faf:

I agree, Calderwood is falling into the same trap Yogi did when he continually played Hogg because he was captain. Murray should not be near a Hibernian first team.

sauzee6_2
31-08-2011, 04:29 PM
When is he going to take a leaf out of gary nevilles book and hang up the boots, I am a big fan of his and what he has done for the club but he must be aware that he can no longer influence the game like he used too.Needs to step down and let a younger player fill his boots!!We need creativity in midfield and he just cant give us that anymore.

Why would he quit with a year left on his contract? If the manager picks him, presumibly at least he, the manager and coaching staff think he adds something to the team.

Would you quit your job in similar circumstances?

The Optimist
31-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I dont mean from Tynecastle just in general so far this season if our strikers dont score in a game can u see him chipping in no!!we need more goals from midfield sooner rather than later.He is more intrested in breaking someones legs than anything else.

woodythehibee
31-08-2011, 04:34 PM
He's been our best player lately.

Taz_hibee
31-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Dont know what games you have been watching recently but IM has been one of our most committed players, we have more than enough youth in the team and still need more experianced players like Ian.

If some of the so called creative players showed half the fight of IM we would not be in our current position.

The Optimist
31-08-2011, 04:37 PM
I am not doubting his commitment he gives 110 percent everygame but its just not enough anymore in our current state of affairs we need goals and players who can give Gary etc the service they need.

Taz_hibee
31-08-2011, 04:39 PM
He is more intrested in breaking someones legs than anything else.

What a load of sh**e

EasterRoad4Ever
31-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Your timing is shocking. I agree IM is struggling to find form and influence the game as he once did, HOWEVER, his testimonial is on Sunday and this should be the focus of attention. Get yourself along to ER, put his form to one side (if you possibly can) and show your appreciation for a fellow Hibby who has always given 100% for the jersey.

RIP
31-08-2011, 04:40 PM

Welcome to Hibs Net with a first post assasinating our club captain in advance of his testimonial day. :bye:

Hibs.Net has now become a vehicle for new posters to join a Hibs fan messageboard to destroy the reputations of Board members, Managers and Club Captains (e.g. Jones, Hogg now Murray). Do they not realise that this continued undermining of the people who lead this club simply makes more fans disillusioned with Hibernian FC?

Now there's a thought!
:hmmm:

Russ
31-08-2011, 04:43 PM
harsh

i was happy to see his name on the teamsheet at the pbs.

100% commitment, i respect that

pick on thornhill and osbourne first, in my view, they offer nothing like that

I bet the Yams were delighted to see his name on the team sheet as well, has a shocking record against them. Gives us nothing in midfield and runs about like a headless chicken, his passing is woeful. He puts in the odd crunching tackle and that seems to make him ONE OF US? total pish. Osbourne has had 2 games ffs, get real.

The Optimist
31-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I will be at his testimonial like i said hes been a great player over the years and a credit too the club.Destroying the club having an opinion on a forum ok.We are well known are youth system and i am sure there will be a young centre midfielder dying to prove himself insteed we stand by experiance insteed of talent.

Bayern Bru
31-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Not aiming this at anyone in particular before the personal abuse starts, but is it any coincidence that the majority of those bashing Murray have low post counts? Call me cynical but would you join dot net just to bash Murray? :confused: Or is that really how bad things have got?

True, he isn't the player he once was; he's lost his pace but the guy suffered from arthritis for pity's sake! The fact he's still playing, and still puts in 100% which is more than can be said for some of the jokers who've pulled on Hibs tops in recent years is to be commended.

Regardless of whether you think he's brilliant or utter pish, it's four days until his testimonial. Try and bite your tongue and show a bit of support for a true Hibs fan and a loyal servant.

The Optimist
31-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Honestly the paranoia on here is ridculous!Iam a hibs fan and allowed my opinion i am saying this now because our current situation isnt looking good and needs to be sorted asap.My one opinion isnt going to ruin his testimonial get a grip.

Bayern Bru
31-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Honestly the paranoia on here is ridculous!Iam a hibs fan and allowed my opinion i am saying this now because our current situation isnt looking good and needs to be sorted asap.My one opinion isnt going to ruin his testimonial get a grip.

Murray is not the root of all our problems, although I agree that he's perhaps not an automatic pick any more.

Nobody said your one opinion would ruin his testimonial, either.
And we're paranoid? :wink:

Russ
31-08-2011, 05:01 PM
Not aiming this at anyone in particular before the personal abuse starts, but is it any coincidence that the majority of those bashing Murray have low post counts? Call me cynical but would you join dot net just to bash Murray? :confused: Or is that really how bad things have got?

True, he isn't the player he once was; he's lost his pace but the guy suffered from arthritis for pity's sake! The fact he's still playing, and still puts in 100% which is more than can be said for some of the jokers who've pulled on Hibs tops in recent years is to be commended.

Regardless of whether you think he's brilliant or utter pish, it's four days until his testimonial. Try and bite your tongue and show a bit of support for a true Hibs fan and a loyal servant.

He was that true a Hibs fan he ran out on us for the currant buns. And that after being on the treatment table for the best part of 2 seasons, he does not deserve a testimonial imo and it will be interesting to see the crowd.

Hamish
31-08-2011, 05:04 PM

What he says. Fed up of the Murray bashing.

The Optimist
31-08-2011, 05:05 PM
Its just an opinion simple as that.GGTTH

Franck is God
31-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm not going to simply Murray bash and I have plenty posts behind me but I will say two things.

He should be nowhere near our first team right now and I'm not even sure if I'd find a place for him on the bench, he is the past and not the future of the team and I can't think of a single player in the squad that I'd pick him ahead of. At his age and level of experience even a lack of pace shouldn't stop him being able to influence a game and the fact that he can't simply suggests a lack of ability and that is not what we need in the team right now.

I don't believe he deserves a testimonial and as such I will not be going and as a previous poster has said I too will be interested in the crowd that the game attracts. I'm not sure why the club chose to honour a player that buggered off at the height of his career after letting his contract run out but they have and for those that want to ignore what he did and go along on Sunday good luck to you.

Bayern Bru
31-08-2011, 05:35 PM
He was that true a Hibs fan he ran out on us for the currant buns. And that after being on the treatment table for the best part of 2 seasons, he does not deserve a testimonial imo and it will be interesting to see the crowd.

So if you were offered significantly more money to do the same job somewhere else you wouldn't take it or at least think about it? :cool2: Riordan went to Celtic but that was conveniently swept under the carpet when he came back and he was welcomed back with open arms etc. Likewise with GOC to a certain extent. Or was that different?

Football is a job, however the fans look at it. Who are we to criticise a player for wanting to set himself up for life? I don't think there was anything sinister behind Murray going to Castle Greyskull other than more money. It's a pity that players generally don't spend their entire careers with one club any more but that's just the way football has gone and there's no use, IMO, in getting uptight over it.

I'm not offering an opinion on whether he 'deserves' a testimonial, just as I'm not directing my comments at anyone in particular on this thread. I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions, just as I am.

FWIW I will be going, partly to support IM but partly to see some former Hibs stars and obviously Vieira and Pires.

GGTTH indeed.

Franck is God
31-08-2011, 05:48 PM
So if you were offered significantly more money to do the same job somewhere else you wouldn't take it or at least think about it? :cool2: Riordan went to Celtic but that was conveniently swept under the carpet when he came back and he was welcomed back with open arms etc. Likewise with GOC to a certain extent. Or was that different?

Ian Murray is the only one of these players getting a testimonial from the club.

Since the testimonial was announced the people that don't think he deserves one think so purely because it has not been a continuous service to the club and that by letting his deal run out and leave he shouldn't get one, I certainly don't begrudge him leaving for the money and as you say all of us would do the same.

The GOC return is completely different by the way, O'Connor did sign the deal offered by Hibs and only left because the club was offered an excellent deal and the money on offer to him was as they said at the time life changing for him and his family. All of the young players coming through at that time signed on the same understanding but lets be honest neither Murray or Riordan were ever going to attract enough of a fee for Hibs to accept so their only way to get a better deal was under freedom of contract.

Russ
31-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Football is a job, however the fans look at it. Who are we to criticise a player for wanting to set himself up for life? I don't think there was anything sinister behind Murray going to Castle Greyskull other than more money. It's a pity that players generally don't spend their entire careers with one club any more but that's just the way football has gone and there's no use, IMO, in getting uptight over it.

I'm not offering an opinion on whether he 'deserves' a testimonial, just as I'm not directing my comments at anyone in particular on this thread. I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their opinions, just as I am.

FWIW I will be going, partly to support IM but partly to see some former Hibs stars and obviously Vieira and Pires.

GGTTH indeed.

O'Connor left for a significant fee, how you can compare him to IM is beyond me. Riordan to a certain extent left in similar circumstances, but at least he gave to the club in the way of appearances and goals, the latter part of Murrays ER career was spent on the treatment table, and he repaid us by leaving for nothing. And Riordan came back every bit as good a player as when he left, Murray was never the player he was when he came back.

Bayern Bru
31-08-2011, 05:52 PM
O'Connor left for a significant fee, how you can compare him to IM is beyond me. Riordan to a certain extent left in similar circumstances, but at least he gave to the club in the way of appearances and goals, the latter part of Murrays ER career was spent on the treatment table, and he repaid us by leaving for nothing. And Riordan came back every bit as good a player as when he left, Murray was never the player he was when he came back.

Comparing them in that they're all Hibs fans, nothing else.

truehibernian
31-08-2011, 05:53 PM
What you can never doubt is Ian's commitment and effort every time he puts on the shirt. For me he is now no longer a midfielder. The midfield area is for me the most important area of a football pitch. It's where you gain a foothold in games, and you need youth, energy, guile and drive. Ian has lost pace, and certainly doesn't have the engine anymore to give a real good 90 minutes in there.

What he can do though, is replace Hanlon and be a very solid, no nonsense centre half alongside O'Hanlon in my opinion. Get experience there, you are half way to winning the battle. I would then move Booth to left mid, and Hanlon to left back. Hanlon is still learning the game and for me is quite weak again centrally. I love seeing Booth get forward and he has a lovely grace about him, but is dreadfully exposed when defending. Still plenty good years ahead.

But if we don't add a centre half, Murray and O'Hanlon would be my pairing, with Palsson, Osbourne and Scott/Sproule, Booth/Galbraith all vying for the middle areas. Really looking forward to seeing how Scott Smith develops, as him at left back and Boothy left midfield is a great combination in my eyes.

Bayern Bru
31-08-2011, 05:55 PM
What you can never doubt is Ian's commitment and effort every time he puts on the shirt. For me he is now no longer a midfielder. The midfield area is for me the most important area of a football pitch. It's where you gain a foothold in games, and you need youth, energy, guile and drive. Ian has lost pace, and certainly doesn't have the engine anymore to give a real good 90 minutes in there.

What he can do though, is replace Hanlon and be a very solid, no nonsense centre half alongside O'Hanlon in my opinion. Get experience there, you are half way to winning the battle. I would then move Booth to left mid, and Hanlon to left back. Hanlon is still learning the game and for me is quite weak again centrally. I love seeing Booth get forward and he has a lovely grace about him, but is dreadfully exposed when defending. Still plenty good years ahead.

But if we don't add a centre half, Murray and O'Hanlon would be my pairing, with Palsson, Osbourne and Scott/Sproule, Booth/Galbraith all vying for the middle areas. Really looking forward to seeing how Scott Smith develops, as him at left back and Boothy left midfield is a great combination in my eyes.

:top marks

Franck is God
31-08-2011, 06:01 PM

What are you watching? Seriously, the last game Ian Murray played at centre half was away to Ayr United in the cup last season and after his performance that night quite rightly never again. He's not even a solid no nonsense midfielder why could he suddenly do that at centre half?

Our first choice pairing this season will be O'Hanlon & Hanlon and they are by a long way our best option.

just_joe
31-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I agree about Ian Murray. he is not the player he once was , He doesn't contribute much to us anymore and therefore I would not be sad if he left us.

Russ
31-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Comparing them in that they're all Hibs fans, nothing else.

As a Hibs fan O'Connor left a part of his fee with the club for youth development, as did Scott Brown for that matter( who is not a hibs fan) Murray ran out on us for no fee at the first opportunity. Anyway I am done, I liked him first time around, a no nonsense player who gave his all, he is just not good enough anymore and I hope sunday sees him don the famous green and white jersey for the last time.

truehibernian
31-08-2011, 06:13 PM
What are you watching? Seriously, the last game Ian Murray played at centre half was away to Ayr United in the cup last season and after his performance that night quite rightly never again. He's not even a solid no nonsense midfielder why could he suddenly do that at centre half?Our first choice pairing this season will be O'Hanlon & Hanlon and they are by a long way our best option.Totally entitled to your opinion mate, but to base an opinion on one cup game for me is unfair. I don't know how long you have watched Hibs, but I have watched Ian play both full back areas, centre half, midfield, and even makeshift striker in a game, in both his stints at Hibs. This season for me, young Hanlon has regressed a little and looks weaker in the challenge. I don't think Booth benefits either as Hanlon is not a 'talker'.......and Murray is definitely no nonsense. Rival players know this trust me. I would hazard a guess if you asked a striker who he would want to go up against out of Ian or Paul, most would say Paul for various reasons. Our defence has leaked goals and all players share the blame. But Hanlon needs either a move to full back or a spell out. And Booth needs his confidence back, and going forward on that left flank he looks superb.It's all opinions mate. No one is right or wrong. Makes football great.

silverhibee
31-08-2011, 06:44 PM
I will be at his testimonial like i said hes been a great player over the years and a credit too the club.Destroying the club having an opinion on a forum ok.We are well known are youth system and i am sure there will be a young centre midfielder dying to prove himself insteed we stand by experiance insteed of talent.

Any idea what young player that would be. :aok:

silverhibee
31-08-2011, 06:45 PM

:agree: :top marks :agree:

duffers
31-08-2011, 06:52 PM
IMO Ian has been our 3rd best player so far this season. He has never given less than 110% for the club, he is our captain, most experienced player at the club, and is Hibs daft. He is now getting pelters. And as many others have stated above, days before his testimonial. Yes he might have lost his legs a wee bit, but I'd say he deserves his place in the team and is influential in there. Who, in midfield has been better than him this season? And the 'doesn't create enough' is nonsense. How many people would describe makalele as a creative midfielder? I Know it's not exactly been easy being a Hibs fan recently, but the negativity on this board is ridiculous, and I think people just look for any excuse to moan. Getting a bit tedious now.....

BSEJVT
31-08-2011, 06:56 PM
That Ian Murray has been a good servant to Hibs in his times with the club I dont think anyone can doubt.

That his best days are behind him, as they are for many of us, I dont think many would argue against.

I wont be going to his testimonial as IMO he doesnt deserve one, that honour being reserved in my book for one club men, who are unfortunately by and large a thing of the past.

Having said that I had no problem with him moving on to increase his earnings potential, I would have preferrred he didnt choose Rangers (Or Celtic), but not many of us in his position would have foregone the chance to substantially increase our earnings (you only need to look at what has happened with his health for the potential justification for any young player in making that decision).

I do however find it disappointing that guys who have done a shift for the club, get criticised for father time catching up with them and its little wonder that there is this disconnect between players and fans in the modern game, when their past efforts count for nothing as soon as they are deemed to be "past it", sometimes IMO long before they actually are.

For this type of guff to come out in the week of his testimonial, when he will naturally be looking back over his career and may have been more interested in how the fans view / viewed him is IMO just petty and totally inconsiderate.

I am going to hazard a guess that the OP and many who followed are Generation Y children for whom gratitude and appreciation for services rendered are as foreign as failing to exhibit those courtesies are to my generation.

silverhibee
31-08-2011, 07:02 PM
I'm not going to simply Murray bash and I have plenty posts behind me but I will say two things.

He should be nowhere near our first team right now and I'm not even sure if I'd find a place for him on the bench, he is the past and not the future of the team and I can't think of a single player in the squad that I'd pick him ahead of. At his age and level of experience even a lack of pace shouldn't stop him being able to influence a game and the fact that he can't simply suggests a lack of ability and that is not what we need in the team right now.

I don't believe he deserves a testimonial and as such I will not be going and as a previous poster has said I too will be interested in the crowd that the game attracts. I'm not sure why the club chose to honour a player that buggered off at the height of his career after letting his contract run out but they have and for those that want to ignore what he did and go along on Sunday good luck to you.

Should Hanlon Stephens Stevenson Thornhill Wotherspoon and Sproule be any where near the first team, dont see you being bitter towards them, but when it comes to Nid and ex player Riordan you just cant help yourself eh fig.
If the manager picks IM then thats goog enough for me but obviously not for you, just maybe the manager knows what he is doing since he see's IM at training every day, rather than having a go at Murray, why dont you have a bitter dig at Colin Calderwood, he is the one picking Murray.

Looking forward to Ian Murray's testimonial on Sunday. :aok:

truehibernian
31-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Should Hanlon Stephens Stevenson Thornhill Wotherspoon and Sproule be any where near the first team, dont see you being bitter towards them, but when it comes to Nid and ex player Riordan you just cant help yourself eh fig.
If the manager picks IM then thats goog enough for me but obviously not for you, just maybe the manager knows what he is doing since he see's IM at training every day, rather than having a go at Murray, why dont you have a bitter dig at Colin Calderwood, he is the one picking Murray.

Looking forward to Ian Murray's testimonial on Sunday. :aok:

:agree:

Just seeing Wee Russell back in a Hibernian jersey will put a big smile on my face. And I'll lay a wager that John Collins will still be able to run rings around players too.

silverhibee
31-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Ian Murray is the only one of these players getting a testimonial from the club.

Since the testimonial was announced the people that don't think he deserves one think so purely because it has not been a continuous service to the club and that by letting his deal run out and leave he shouldn't get one, I certainly don't begrudge him leaving for the money and as you say all of us would do the same.

The GOC return is completely different by the way, O'Connor did sign the deal offered by Hibs and only left because the club was offered an excellent deal and the money on offer to him was as they said at the time life changing for him and his family. All of the young players coming through at that time signed on the same understanding but lets be honest neither Murray or Riordan were ever going to attract enough of a fee for Hibs to accept so their only way to get a better deal was under freedom of contract.

Hibs accepted a few offers for Riordan did they not fig.

sevenzero
31-08-2011, 07:32 PM
I always loved having murray in our team when i was younger , a great proffesional and player im delighted he is getting a testimonial ! I couldnt care less if it was broken for similar reasons as above , im only 24 and its awesome in this day and age the time ive seen him as a hibby !!! Good luck for sunday and the season ahead ian., I for one cant wait for sunday !!!!

Franck is God
31-08-2011, 08:25 PM
As a Hibs fan O'Connor left a part of his fee with the club for youth development, as did Scott Brown for that matter( who is not a hibs fan) Murray ran out on us for no fee at the first opportunity. Anyway I am done, I liked him first time around, a no nonsense player who gave his all, he is just not good enough anymore and I hope sunday sees him don the famous green and white jersey for the last time.

If I had a guarantee that it would be his last appearance then I'd even think about giving him my money on Sunday.

Franck is God
31-08-2011, 08:34 PM
Hibs accepted a few offers for Riordan did they not fig.

At the time there was talk of offers but I'm not sure if any of them were officially made to the club, I remember talk of a £1m bid from Sunderland but they signed Jon Stead, also remember some interest from a couple of lower end bundesliga teams.

I think Rangers made a cheeky bid at the end of a transfer window funnily enough just before we were playing them at hunbrox later on the same week in the cup.

And by the way you are damn right I'm still bitter about the way both Murray & Riordan left as was everyone else at the time, for some reason when they came crawling back there are some fans out there that conveniently forgot what happened. They were both favourite players for me but they moved on and should never have come back.

Albion Hibs
31-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I really have to wonder why the OP suddenly felt the need to come out with that.....

Fact of the matter is he is still a first time pick, from this manager and a previous manager and the one before that, all of whom know substantially more about football than all of us on this board, that is not even open for questioning.

Murray has been one of our best players this season in his role as a defensive midfielder, and even on that basis has the same number of assists if not more than our so called attacking midfielders. Therefore the OP is effectively calling for us to drop a defensive midfielder, a position which every team in this league has, and just about every team I can think of....good shout mate!

It was inevitable that there were some who would use this random post to bring up the testimonial. Fact of the matter is he is getting one, it is this sunday, if you dont want to go then dont, just sit on here and moan about it and everything else to do with hibs. If some of our great players from the past of hibs are coming along in support to play it shows what they think of Ian as a player and his deservingness of a testimonial, in addition comments from Viera in the paper today.....yet some of our own fans have a go at him.....I honestly think you need to have a word with yourself.

.Sean.
31-08-2011, 09:16 PM

harrsi
31-08-2011, 09:29 PM
And by the way you are damn right I'm still bitter about the way both Murray & Riordan left as was everyone else at the time, for some reason when they came crawling back there are some fans out there that conveniently forgot what happened. They were both favourite players for me but they moved on and should never have come back.

Know that O'Conner left under different circumstances to both Murray and Riordan but what do you make of him coming 'crawling' back to us, being the only player in the squad to score in the league so far? Surely he was another favourite of yours and by your reasoning we should have never brought him back.

Jonnyboy
31-08-2011, 09:36 PM
That Ian Murray has been a good servant to Hibs in his times with the club I dont think anyone can doubt.

That his best days are behind him, as they are for many of us, I dont think many would argue against.

I wont be going to his testimonial as IMO he doesnt deserve one, that honour being reserved in my book for one club men, who are unfortunately by and large a thing of the past.

Having said that I had no problem with him moving on to increase his earnings potential, I would have preferrred he didnt choose Rangers (Or Celtic), but not many of us in his position would have foregone the chance to substantially increase our earnings (you only need to look at what has happened with his health for the potential justification for any young player in making that decision).

I do however find it disappointing that guys who have done a shift for the club, get criticised for father time catching up with them and its little wonder that there is this disconnect between players and fans in the modern game, when their past efforts count for nothing as soon as they are deemed to be "past it", sometimes IMO long before they actually are.

For this type of guff to come out in the week of his testimonial, when he will naturally be looking back over his career and may have been more interested in how the fans view / viewed him is IMO just petty and totally inconsiderate.

I am going to hazard a guess that the OP and many who followed are Generation Y children for whom gratitude and appreciation for services rendered are as foreign as failing to exhibit those courtesies are to my generation.

:top marks (although I'll be going to the game :greengrin

jdships
31-08-2011, 09:57 PM

:top marks :agree:
I will not be going to IM's testimonial for the same reasons as yourself

Hibs90
31-08-2011, 09:57 PM
As long as the leg's he's breaking are Jambo legs then I'll settle for that. :wink:

silverhibee
31-08-2011, 10:29 PM
At the time there was talk of offers but I'm not sure if any of them were officially made to the club, I remember talk of a £1m bid from Sunderland but they signed Jon Stead, also remember some interest from a couple of lower end bundesliga teams.

I think Rangers made a cheeky bid at the end of a transfer window funnily enough just before we were playing them at hunbrox later on the same week in the cup.

What, you cant remember Hibs putting it up on the offical site that they excepted a bid for Riordan from Cardiff City without telling the player first, and yes there was bids made from Bundesliga teams, Riordan turned them down, a bid from Lokomotiv Moscow turned down by DR, a bid accepted by Hibs from Rangers only to fall through after Hibs asked for more money.

And why are you bitter about the way the two of them left the club, there is no law against a player seeing out there contract, will you be bitter towards GOC if he runs down his contract with Hibs and moves on at the end of the season,:wink: after him coming crawling back to Hibs in the summer there. :wink:

But at every opportunity you get you cant help slag the two of when you can, what a nice way to treat favourite players of yours, whats your thoughts on Brown and Thompson leaving the club.

smurf
31-08-2011, 10:35 PM
These guys are professionals. If I was a professional I would play for any club if it was right for my career.

fat freddy
31-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Ian was one of the few players to get pass marks against hearts in my opinion...he played with passion and was in his opponents faces giving his all for the cause...this thread is a nonsense on his testimonial week...show some respect to a fellow hibby on his big week.

silverhibee
31-08-2011, 11:03 PM
I really have to wonder why the OP suddenly felt the need to come out with that.....Blackpoolhibs have you gone and got yourself a second user name?!

Fact of the matter is he is still a first time pick, from this manager and a previous manager and the one before that, all of whom know substantially more about football than all of us on this board, that is not even open for questioning.

Murray has been one of our best players this season in his role as a defensive midfielder, and even on that basis has the same number of assists if not more than our so called attacking midfielders. Therefore the OP is effectively calling for us to drop a defensive midfielder, a position which every team in this league has, and just about every team I can think of....good shout mate!

It was inevitable that there were some who would use this random post to bring up the testimonial. Fact of the matter is he is getting one, it is this sunday, if you dont want to go then dont, just sit on here and moan about it and everything else to do with hibs. If some of our great players from the past of hibs are coming along in support to play it shows what they think of Ian as a player and his deservingness of a testimonial, in addition comments from Viera in the paper today.....yet some of our own fans have a go at him.....I honestly think you need to have a word with yourself.

:top marks :aok:

FRes Hibbie
01-09-2011, 12:25 AM
I think the argument of whether Ian Murray deserves a testimonial or not is irrelevant to this thread (not to mention that it's already been done to death) so for those reason I'm going to keep my opinion on that subject to myself.

What the op was bringing up though was his current contribution to the team and in my opinion Ian Murray isn't good enough to be considered a first choice in any position anymore.

The timing of the thread might be a little harsh, given it's his testimonial week and all, but the op is right.

silverhibee
01-09-2011, 12:56 AM
I think the argument of whether Ian Murray deserves a testimonial or not is irrelevant to this thread (not to mention that it's already been done to death) so for those reason I'm going to keep my opinion on that subject to myself.

What the op was bringing up though was his current contribution to the team and in my opinion Ian Murray isn't good enough to be considered a first choice in any position anymore.

The timing of the thread might be a little harsh, given it's his testimonial week and all, but the op is right.

Others would disagree with you that the op is talking tom kite, his timing of the thread reeks of something. :jamboclow

lyonhibs
01-09-2011, 05:44 AM
the notion that Murray is the one that needs dropping from the Hibs midfield is comedy gold IMO

Beefster
01-09-2011, 06:44 AM
Others would disagree with you that the op is talking tom kite, his timing of the thread reeks of something. :jamboclow

How long after the testimonial is it acceptable to discuss Murray's worth to the team again?

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2011, 07:38 AM

How long after the testimonial is it acceptable to discuss Murray's worth to the team again?

Even if he is a yam SH, i agree 100% with what he said, and just because he's been granted a testimonial does not mean folk cant agree or disagree with that decision, and give their reason why. For me it does not matter when that discussion happens either?

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 07:41 AM

Why dont you set you alarm for nice and early the following morning and go for it then.

If folk are going to have a go at Murray for not being attacking enough, or creating enough then they should probably do it through CC as someone correctly stated above - for the very simple reason that is not the role he is put on the park to play. In addition there is probably 10 other players and a bench you should be having a go at first.

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 07:44 AM
Even if he is a yam SH, i agree 100% with what he said, and just because he's been granted a testimonial does not mean folk cant agree or disagree with that decision, and give their reason why. For me it does not matter when that discussion happens either?

Your OP from your other user name was about his worth to the team. In .net fashion some have used it as an excuse to bring up if he deserves a testimonail in there somewhat irrelevant opinion. There was a thread about that before, your probably did it to death, why the need to start it again on this one I dont know!

hibbymac
01-09-2011, 07:50 AM
Why dont you set you alarm for nice and early the following morning and go for it then.

If folk are going to have a go at Murray for not being attacking enough, or creating enough then they should probably do it through CC as someone correctly stated above - for the very simple reason that is not the role he is put on the park to play. In addition there is probably 10 other players and a bench you should be having a go at first.

:agree: If Murray had gone to Celtic and come back to us, he would not be getting so much flack.

There is a lot more wrong with the Team/Club that needs "sorted out", having a go at Murray and wanting him out of the club is way down the list of the problems at Easter Road. IMO.

lucky
01-09-2011, 08:00 AM
I really have to wonder why the OP suddenly felt the need to come out with that.....Blackpoolhibs have you gone and got yourself a second user name?!

If we follow your logic on Yogi and CC then fans should never raise questions or any issues over tactics or team selection or you could be talking bollocks

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 08:10 AM
If we follow your logic on Yogi and CC then fans should never raise questions or any issues over tactics or team selection or you could be talking bollocks

I stated a fact. Put another way, do you on a serious level think you know more about football than the managers I quoted?

lucky
01-09-2011, 08:37 AM
I stated a fact. Put another way, do you on a serious level think you know more about football than the managers I quoted?

again you seem to think that fans dont know about the game. Thats the piss Yogi and Nish came out with. Im not claiming to know more but when I watch Ian Murray play i can see he has no pace cant pass a ball and generally committs fouls every time he tackles.

Beefster
01-09-2011, 10:13 AM

Oooh, some official permission to discuss something. Thanks very much. I don't know how I coped before the joyous day when you signed up.

The second bit - you do like to just invent nonsense from nowhere. If you can find a post from me where I stated that he wasn't attacking enough or didn't create enough chances, I'll reply to every one of your future posts with "You are so right and wise, knowledgeable one". I think Murray's legs are gone - that's my issue with him being in the team.

Wotherspiniesta
01-09-2011, 10:57 AM
If its not Ian Murray's role to start attacks and score goals then what is it?

The role of defensive midfielder (IMO) should be to track opposing runners from midfield. Opposition players like Ryan Stevenson and Steve Thomson for example. The other job for a defensive midfielder should be to slot into defence when full backs get forward. Booth is a good young full back who loves to get forward, but he's given zero protection by our midfield when he does.

Ian Murray's not got the engine to play in the centre of the park and he tries to make up for it by clattering into people (tackling isn't a bad thing, but he's usually late at doing that aswell).

Kevin McBride was not to everyone's liking but he covered for fullbacks and tried to build attacks starting from defense. I'd rather have him back than watch IM struggle to keep up with the game.

smurf
01-09-2011, 11:02 AM
Does anyone remember why Sauzee dropped deeper from midfield for us?

Franck is God
01-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Does anyone remember why Sauzee dropped deeper from midfield for us?

Sauzee arrived as a centre midfielder and played there for the remainder of the season in the 1st division and also our first season back in the SPL.

The following season McLeish chose to use a 3-5-2 formation and Sauzee played as a sweeper behind Fenwick and Smith mainly. His reading of the game was outstanding as was his first touch and passing ability so a lack of pace didn't hurt the team.

I think this is why a lot of people myself included don't think Murray should be part of the first team at ER in midfield or defence. The main attributes he has shown during his career was pace, power and commitment, without the pace element he just doesn't give enough in other areas to be effective.

If we want to see football from Hibs then we need footballers in the middle of the pitch, for all Ian Black is a thug he is also a good player with a good touch and range of passing which is why he plays every week for Hearts (when he's not supended of course) if he was simply a thug he'd get nowhere near their team.

Franck is God
01-09-2011, 11:35 AM
If its not Ian Murray's role to start attacks and score goals then what is it?

The role of defensive midfielder (IMO) should be to track opposing runners from midfield. Opposition players like Ryan Stevenson and Steve Thomson for example. The other job for a defensive midfielder should be to slot into defence when full backs get forward. Booth is a good young full back who loves to get forward, but he's given zero protection by our midfield when he does.

Ian Murray's not got the engine to play in the centre of the park and he tries to make up for it by clattering into people (tackling isn't a bad thing, but he's usually late at doing that aswell).

Kevin McBride was not to everyone's liking but he covered for fullbacks and tried to build attacks starting from defense. I'd rather have him back than watch IM struggle to keep up with the game.

Perfectly put, I think I made a similar point on another thread talking about formations and the jobs player carry out during the game.

smurf
01-09-2011, 11:38 AM
Sauzee arrived as a centre midfielder and played there for the remainder of the season in the 1st division and also our first season back in the SPL.

The following season McLeish chose to use a 3-5-2 formation and Sauzee played as a sweeper behind Fenwick and Smith mainly. His reading of the game was outstanding as was his first touch and passing ability so a lack of pace didn't hurt the team.

I think this is why a lot of people myself included don't think Murray should be part of the first team at ER in midfield or defence. The main attributes he has shown during his career was pace, power and commitment, without the pace element he just doesn't give enough in other areas to be effective.

If we want to see football from Hibs then we need footballers in the middle of the pitch, for all Ian Black is a thug he is also a good player with a good touch and range of passing which is why he plays every week for Hearts (when he's not supended of course) if he was simply a thug he'd get nowhere near their team.

I agree. Murray will leave at the end of the season. He has been an excellent player for us. He deserves his testimonial.

He should though be where Alan Sneddon was for us in his testimonial year...

Squad player.

Franck is God
01-09-2011, 11:41 AM
And why are you bitter about the way the two of them left the club, there is no law against a player seeing out there contract, will you be bitter towards GOC if he runs down his contract with Hibs and moves on at the end of the season,:wink: after him coming crawling back to Hibs in the summer there. :wink:

But at every opportunity you get you cant help slag the two of when you can, what a nice way to treat favourite players of yours, whats your thoughts on Brown and Thompson leaving the club.

Like every football fan I have my fickle moments, if they had both been unbelievably good on their return then my memories of how they left would surely have faded as they did when Pat McGinlay came back from Sellick or when Darren Jackson & Michael O'Neil came to Hibs after turning us down for Dundee Utd.

Hibs made their money on O'Connor and he owes us nothing more than a good season which so far he's living up to.

JimBHibees
01-09-2011, 11:43 AM

I dont think it is a case of knowing more however everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine is similar to others in that he struggles to get around the pitch very well and personally think we could do better in that area however no way could I criticise his commitment when playing for the club.

Andy74
01-09-2011, 12:02 PM
When I was posting from the pre season friendlies about Murray being involved I was told that it was okay, CC was just giving people a run out and surely Murray wouldn't be near the starting team.

Well, here we are, a team cleared out, another one bought and Murray still playing midfield.

I'll admit I've never been a Murray fan but other than the first couple of games that CC played him in the defensive midfield role last season he has been terrible.

He's commited and a Hibs fan, but it no more qualifies him for a place in the Hibs team than it does all of us.

I think most of us would admit that Murray was one who we thought would probably have been allowed to leave this summer if something could have been sorted out? In this new team with the opportunity of a clear out there would surely be no place for Murray?

It's a real sign of how successful the rebuild has been that Murray still features. And we are bottom of the league.

So instead of trying to release him we give him a testimonial. An average player who doesn't have consistent service with us and walked away for nothing to a big rival. Fine, his career but we don't have to reward that with a testimonial. Not that I'm going so no big deal to me that others will go.

Scouse Hibee
01-09-2011, 03:09 PM
The truth is there for all to see, it just puzzles me how some people can't see it!

BSEJVT
01-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Regardless of your and others views on Murray's current worth to the team, have we really become so graceless and classless that we couldnt just let the guy have his day in the sun without all this nonsense.

IMO that's the least the guy deserves.

I used to think that that type of abusing of their former stalwarts was left to the Jambo's

Sad days indeed

lyonhibs
01-09-2011, 04:23 PM
Regardless of your and others views on Murray's current worth to the team, have we really become so graceless and classless that we couldnt just let the guy have his day in the sun without all this nonsense.

IMO that's the least the guy deserves.

I used to think that that type of abusing of their former stalwarts was left to the Jambo's

Sad days indeed

I don't think anyone's suggesting that they are going to go along to the testimonial and boo him to the rafters. This is an internet messageboard, not Ian Murray's personal inbox!

We'll only stoop to the Jambos level if less than 6000 people turn up to the game this weekend (cf: the attendance at Gary "Mafia Media Monkey, but still shameless enough to spraff *****e at every Derby" Mackay's testimonial - I think???)

FWIW, in these frankly grim times, I'd sooner have him than Thornhill on the pitch. Folk will slag Murray for not being the most mobile and not being a slick passer of the ball, but - from what I've seen - neither is Thornhill, and he can't even be arsed getting stuck in.

AlbertK86
01-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Get a grip. Murray has been better than most for us this season.

Agree he is not the most creative but he did play O'Connor in for the winner at ICT

Want him back in at CH beside O'Hanlon as Hanlon has been horrific there this season.

We should've signed another experienced CH but seen as we haven't he must be utilised there.

Somebody moaned about his performance there against Ayr. One game against loads of good ones when he and Caldwell were teamed up there.

I realise he is older now but firmly believe he is needed back there. Him and O'Hanlon will give us more experience and more talking at the back. hopefully be able to tell Booth and Towell not to do anything daft in the danger areas

Pretty Boy
01-09-2011, 07:04 PM
I really have to wonder why the OP suddenly felt the need to come out with that.....

I must admit when i watched Celtic and the footballing superstars of Kilmarnock stroll through our non existent midfield i was realy thinking about the great job the player(s) in the defensive midfield role was/were doing. The same thought crossed my mind standing at Tynecastle on Sunday as Hearts walked past our midfield time and again in the 2nd half.

One good pass at Inverness is hardly grounds for Murray to be hailed as a player contributing assists week in week out, the fact he has the 'same number'as the other jokers in our midfield means nothing to me i'm afraid.

SquashedFrogg
01-09-2011, 07:14 PM
What are you watching? Seriously, the last game Ian Murray played at centre half was away to Ayr United in the cup last season and after his performance that night quite rightly never again. He's not even a solid no nonsense midfielder why could he suddenly do that at centre half?

Our first choice pairing this season will be O'Hanlon & Hanlon and they are by a long way our best option.

I must've missed something that night against Ayr :confused: Could've swore there was another 10 Hibs players on the pitch that night :confused:

Albion Hibs
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I must admit when i watched Celtic and the footballing superstars of Kilmarnock stroll through our non existent midfield i was realy thinking about the great job the player(s) in the defensive midfield role was/were doing. The same thought crossed my mind standing at Tynecastle on Sunday as Hearts walked past our midfield time and again in the 2nd half.

One good pass at Inverness is hardly grounds for Murray to be hailed as a player contributing assists week in week out, the fact he has the 'same number'as the other jokers in our midfield means nothing to me i'm afraid.

How many of the goal you referred to have come through the middle of the pitch? Or for that matter straight at our CH's?

KeithTheHibby
01-09-2011, 08:09 PM
Some really stupid and pathetic comments re Ian Murray.

We have a whole team playing pish at the moment yet IM seems to get it in the neck.

Re the OP, your timing is ***** pal whatwith his testimonial, which , incidentally I think it thoroughly deserved. IM shall manage Hibs one day such is his love for the club.

AlbertK86
01-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Some really stupid and pathetic comments re Ian Murray.

We have a whole team playing pish at the moment yet IM seems to get it in the neck.

Re the OP, your timing is ***** pal whatwith his testimonial, which , incidentally I think it thoroughly deserved. IM shall manage Hibs one day such is his love for the club.

Well said that man ... Ian is a true Hibby who always gives 100% ... lets give him the respect he is due

silverhibee
01-09-2011, 08:27 PM

How about some time next week would do, the op could have picked on a number of players in the Hibs team that have been under perfoming for a while now, just find it strange he is having a go at Ian Murray a few days before his testimonial, cant think that many Hibs fans would want to do that.
I would see the point if it was Murray that was making the mistakes that was costing us games recently but he is not the player doing it, in my opinion he was one of our better players against the yams on Sunday.

silverhibee
01-09-2011, 08:34 PM

As you know BH its all about opinions on here, and i disagree with the op, and i think his timing is poor. :aok:

SanFranHibs
01-09-2011, 08:50 PM

Even if Murray was not the same player upon his return who is it that took him back willingly? I don't think Murray held us at gunpoint forcing us to ! And if I recall correctly most Hibs fans still thought he was 'class' and added a higher level of composure to our team and were soon calling for RP to 'get him signed long term'. If he's past it now, so be it and in this case it would be incumbent upon the Hibs manager/board to ease him out or simply let him go ! But we know that is not likely this season.

He may not be the player he was but he certainly seems to still give 100% to the shirt !

Enjoy your day Mr. Murray !

:flag:

Heckys Wheel
02-09-2011, 07:45 AM
If his form isn't up to scratch, then it's the manager's job to drop him.

It's a long time retired so you can't blame him for kicking the ar5e out of a career that is every boy's dream.

Dashing Bob S
02-09-2011, 07:59 AM
There's no debate to be had here - Stevie Wonder can see that Murray's legs have gone and Ray Charles would be able to second it.

So why do Calderwood, and Hughes before him, persevere with IM?

1. Well, he's probably the closest thing we have to a leader. 2. He's a long-serving employee and they work regularly with him, and football, as with all other enterprises is bound by sentiment as well as other issues. 3. Shot as he is, Murray's poor form is disguised by the general ineptitude of the other players around him.

However, its becoming manifestly obvious that those considerations are no longer becoming tenable and he needs put out to grass - but not at ER.

Phil MaGlass
02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
Your timing is shocking. I agree IM is struggling to find form and influence the game as he once did, HOWEVER, his testimonial is on Sunday and this should be the focus of attention. Get yourself along to ER, put his form to one side (if you possibly can) and show your appreciation for a fellow Hibby who has always given 100% for the jersey.

couldnt agree more, very poor timing,

jacomo
02-09-2011, 09:41 AM

Shame you haven't expressed your opinion before then.

First post is a new thread stirring things up? Not good.

Andy74
02-09-2011, 09:44 AM
couldnt agree more, very poor timing,

Poor timing?

The guy hasn't died, he's just getting a decent pay day from a testimonial.

It's doubtful whether a thread on a fans site will have too much effect on the guy. I'm sure if he reads it he will battle through it and somehow find a way to enjoy picking up his cheque next week.

Given the guy is club captain, we are bottom of the league and there is a bit of a question as to whether he should even be eligible for a testimonial I think it's as fair a time as any to ask whether he still deserves a place in the team.

Similar questions are being asked of the likes of Hanlon, Thornhill, Scott, Booth, Sproule etc.

Maybe it's bad timing for them as they are feeling a bit under the weather this week or something?

Murray was brave enough to walk away to Rangers. He will live following this thread, I'm sure of it.

Beefster
02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
Poor timing?

It's doubtful whether a thread on a fans site will have too much effect on the guy. I'm sure if he reads it he will battle through it and somehow find a way to enjoy picking up his cheque next week.

Given the guy is club captain, we are bottom of the league and there is a bit of a question as to whether he should even be eligible for a testimonial I think it's as fair a time as any to ask whether he still deserves a place in the team.

Similar questions are being asked of the likes of Hanlon, Thornhill, Scott, Booth, Sproule etc.

Maybe it's bad timing for them as they are feeling a bit under the weather this week or something?

Murray was brave enough to walk away to Rangers. He will live following this thread, I'm sure of it.

You've articulated exactly what I was thinking but couldn't be arsed posting. The amount of discussion that folk try to 'close down' on here is increasing all the time.

jdships
02-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Poor timing?

Absolutely " on the money" :thumbsup:
As to the "Testimonial" - to attend or not is simply a matter if choice exactly the same as voicing an opinion is a choice.
Remember this country is run on the back of MP's " opinions" :rolleyes:
Also Edinburgh City Council fit the bill as well re the City :greengrin

RIP
02-09-2011, 11:33 AM
You've articulated exactly what I was thinking but couldn't be arsed posting. The amount of discussion that folk try to 'close down' on here is increasing all the time.

Well said Beefster

It's high time we remind ourselves what purpose Hibs.Net serves for all of us - Diehards, occasional supporters or closet Yams

We use it for complaining about Hibs:-

About the Board
About the Manager
About the signings we make
About the players that get picked
About the positions these players are played
About the tactics employed

Of course we have little if any power to make anything better. We just have the power to spread negativity around a club that needs our support more than ever right now. We will never see success at Hibs by constantly belittling people in key positions at our club. We will only help our club by supporting these people 100% until they are replaced with somebody better

Andy74
02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
Well said Beefster

It's high time we remind ourselves what purpose Hibs.Net serves for all of us - Diehards, occasional supporters or closet Yams

We use it for complaining about Hibs:-

About the Board
About the Manager
About the signings we make
About the players that get picked
About the positions these players are played
About the tactics employed

Of course we have little if any power to make anything better. We just have the power to spread negativity around a club that needs our support more than ever right now. We will never see success at Hibs by constantly belittling people in key positions at our club. We will only help our club by supporting these people 100% until they are replaced with somebody better

Doing nothing about a bad situation is pretty negligent though.

People felt within their rights to be negative about John Hughes for example for what they felt was the long term good. It might have worked, might not.

I'm sure the same people would respect the right of others to complain about Murray or CC for the same reasons of ultimately hoping for good to come out of it.

bawheid
02-09-2011, 12:39 PM

People felt within their rights to be negative about John Hughes for example for what they felt was the long term good. It might have worked, might not.

I'm sure the same people would respect the right of others to complain about Murray or CC for the same reasons of ultimately hoping for good to come out of it.

I think you started making this point about 6 months ago, but I can't be sure. Anyhow, I feel you've now thoroughly made it. Well done.

What's happened? You used to be quite a measured poster, able to see the long game and not be brought down to the petty level of repetitive messageboard squabbling that plagues established internet forums.

Could you not have gone out and bought a sports car with your mid-life crisis?

Albion Hibs
02-09-2011, 12:40 PM

:faf: Like what Rod logging onto Hibs net and think "oh god I had better do something about this, fans always no more than people that have spend a life in the game".

Beefster
02-09-2011, 12:53 PM
:faf: Like what Rod logging onto Hibs net and think "oh god I had better do something about this, fans always no more than people that have spend a life in the game".

I hope he logs on and thinks "My customer base is sorely pissed off. I had better do something to stop the decline in revenue.". If he doesn't, he's not much of a chairman.

RIP
02-09-2011, 12:59 PM
Doing nothing about a bad situation is pretty negligent though. People felt within their rights to be negative about John Hughes for example for what they felt was the long term good. It might have worked, might not. I'm sure the same people would respect the right of others to complain about Murray or CC for the same reasons of ultimately hoping for good to come out of it.

I'd always defend free speech Andy - I'm just saying that withour club in their current predicament, all this well-intentioned free speech is doing is dragging our club further down. If we think people like Scott Lindsay, Colin Calderwood and Ian Murray are the root of our problems should we not focus on more effective communication strategies for change? The only thing all this messageboard and media negativity achieves is to drag our club further down and make fellow supporters feel even more hopeless about our situation. It's negativity for negativity's sake rather than channelled in a realistic action plan to turn the club around.

I personally think that to treat Hibs in this manner is lazy, disrespectful and shameful. I'm not prepared to sit idly by whilst others constantly slag off my football club. It's time for the moaners to put up or shut up. We are in real diffuculties at the moment and it's time to support the club and the players on the park whilst speaking out at official fans forums with the club

hibsbollah
02-09-2011, 01:07 PM
There's no debate to be had here - Stevie Wonder can see that Murray's legs have gone and Ray Charles would be able to second it.

So why do Calderwood, and Hughes before him, persevere with IM?

1. Well, he's probably the closest thing we have to a leader. 2. He's a long-serving employee and they work regularly with him, and football, as with all other enterprises is bound by sentiment as well as other issues. 3. Shot as he is, Murray's poor form is disguised by the general ineptitude of the other players around him.

However, its becoming manifestly obvious that those considerations are no longer becoming tenable and he needs put out to grass - but not at ER.

You left out 4. He seemed to be using his opportunity on the tynecastle pitch to cause maximum damage to as many jambo shins as possible. He could have been sent off twice and had no complaints. Added to his wonderfully OTT assault on Black last season, he deserves a big pat on the back and a sell out at his testimonial if you ask me.

down the slope
02-09-2011, 01:08 PM
I'd always defend free speech Andy - I'm just saying that withour club in their current predicament, all this well-intentioned free speech is doing is dragging our club further down. If we think people like Scott Lindsay, Colin Calderwood and Ian Murray are the root of our problems should we not focus on more effective communication strategies for change? The only thing all this messageboard and media negativity achieves is to drag our club further down and make fellow supporters feel even more hopeless about our situation. It's negativity for negativity's sake rather than channelled in a realistic action plan to turn the club around.

I personally think that to treat Hibs in this manner is lazy, disrespectful and shameful. I'm not prepared to sit idly by whilst others constantly slag off my football club. It's time for the moaners to put up or shut up. We are in real diffuculties at the moment and it's time to support the club and the players on the park

Lazy disrespectful and shameful are we ?, i could say the same about the board's attitude to me, i think it's every good Hibby's duty to pull up the powers that be who are shamefully running the club in the manner they are and taking top whack for doing it, they will get it tight until they get it right !.

Andy74
02-09-2011, 01:15 PM
I think you started making this point about 6 months ago, but I can't be sure. Anyhow, I feel you've now thoroughly made it. Well done.

What's happened? You used to be quite a measured poster, able to see the long game and not be brought down to the petty level of repetitive messageboard squabbling that plagues established internet forums.

Could you not have gone out and bought a sports car with your mid-life crisis?

We haven't been talking about Murray for six months?

I'll use what I like as an example thanks and if a few of you want to impose a Hughes obsession on me anytime I mention his name that's fine, if I have a view about something I'm not really likely to change it am I? If you have a wee look at the context his name is used for its pretty relevant to whether or not being negative about someting is right or helpful.

It seems a great many people can't really handle hearing the same point when they don't agree with it. Tough, there are plenty others who think the other way for you to agree with if that's all you want to do.

I'm not sure you can see that it's you guys constantly carping on when I make a point that is continuing this nonsense?

Andy74
02-09-2011, 01:20 PM

I personally think that to treat Hibs in this manner is lazy, disrespectful and shameful. I'm not prepared to sit idly by whilst others constantly slag off my football club. It's time for the moaners to put up or shut up. We are in real diffuculties at the moment and it's time to support the club and the players on the park whilst speaking out at official fans forums with the club

Thanks for the lesson.

At the risk of people again getting excited at the mention of his name could this have been directed at those who took vocal action about John Hughes? What about Jim Duffy?

Should Duff and Gray just have been left alone to make the right decision for the club whilst we sat back and supported without question?

It's brilliant that a few months ago I just got slated for being blindly supportive of the club, the manager, certain players but now there's a few that I don't think are doing the job well enough I have to shut up? Behave.

bawheid
02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
We haven't been talking about Murray for six months?

I'll use what I like as an example thanks and if a few of you want to impose a Hughes obsession on me anytime I mention his name that's fine, if I have a view about something I'm not really likely to change it am I? If you have a wee look at the context his name is used for its pretty relevant to whether or not being negative about someting is right or helpful.

It seems a great many people can't really handle hearing the same point when they don't agree with it. Tough, there are plenty others who think the other way for you to agree with if that's all you want to do.

I'm not sure you can see that it's you guys constantly carping on when I make a point that is continuing this nonsense?

You guys?? I agreed with you about Hughes. I wouldn't have got rid of him at the time either. I felt he deserved a bit more time and the chance to get rid of those he felt were bringing the club down.

I've managed to let it go now though...

You're doing exactly the same to Calderwood as those you pulled up for being negative about John Hughes.

RIP
02-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Thanks for the lesson.

At the risk of people again getting excited at the mention of his name could this have been directed at those who took vocal action about John Hughes? What about Jim Duffy?Should Duff and Gray just have been left alone to make the right decision for the club whilst we sat back and supported without question?

It's brilliant that a few months ago I just got slated for being blindly supportive of the club, the manager, certain players but now there's a few that I don't think are doing the job well enough I have to shut up? Behave.

As much as I admire the intelligence and articulation in your posts you appear to adopt a particular technique. That is when you are challenged on a particular point, you choose to ignore that point and instead argue against an extreme point of view that no-one is making.

My point was that you are others are not channelling your complaints into positive improvements. You want action but are not prepared to do anything about it. If this was the Duff and Gray era now, I assume you and others would think that you were supporting the club by whining on a messageboard. Would the internet have saved us back then. I don't think so!!

All these hours of effort you expend posting achieves nothing other than to help lower our already low spirits. Why don't you translate that energy into positive action instead?

Andy74
02-09-2011, 04:06 PM
As much as I admire the intelligence and articulation in your posts you appear to adopt a particular technique. That is when you are challenged on a particular point, you choose to ignore that point and instead argue against an extreme point of view that no-one is making.

My point was that you are others are not channelling your complaints into positive improvements. You want action but are not prepared to do anything about it. If this was the Duff and Gray era now, I assume you and others would think that you were supporting the club by whining on a messageboard. Would the internet have saved us back then. I don't think so!!

All these hours of effort you expend posting achieves nothing other than to help lower our already low spirits. Why don't you translate that energy into positive action instead?

This is just a messageboard and it's here for those who want to be positive, those who feel the need to be negative about something and everyone in between.

As this is an Ian Murray thread I'll stick to that one just now. As a supporter of the club he like all the players gets my backing every week on the pitch. Do you really want me to take action over the fact I don't think he should be in the team and boo him, or form a picket line at ER until he's dropped? Or would you rather I just complained about it on a fans board the same way people have done for years in the pubs and buses after games?

What is it you are doing to promote your positive outlook? Do you turn up outside his house every morning to give him a wee shout of encouragement? What are your posts on here achieving?

I'm not ignoring your point at all. You think that the only way to promote the future of the club is to be positive and support all that is done 100%. That's not the only way to get things done. Ian Murray playing for Hibs is a minor thing that I'm not inclined to take action on. When the Mercer news broke, and I was just a young thing, I was at ER within the hour. If CCs record extends to getting beat the next home game then I'll probably make sure my displeasure is heard at the end of the game. That'll be some positive action.

down the slope
02-09-2011, 04:25 PM

There is no way for the ordinary fan to channel his complaints , the result is that fans protest with their feet. Nobody ever want's to hurt the Hibs but being positive and backing what is on offer will not change the fact that the product is dire and we could fill the stadium and it would not change a single thing , i admire you for trying to keep things positive but i feel that your good intensions are seen by the board that everything is ok.

Albion Hibs
02-09-2011, 05:59 PM
I hope he logs on and thinks "My customer base is sorely pissed off. I had better do something to stop the decline in revenue.". If he doesn't, he's not much of a chairman.

Like what get rid of the last manager which is what the forum wanted, get a new team which is what the forum wanted, both done and still no chagce. Fact of the matter is we have a fickle fan base coupled with the current economic strain, he could sign the new viera and pires we stil would not sell out the stadium.

In any event, why do people seem to forget hibs are a business, as if they can just decided to spend what they want when they want. No business is going to be allowed to operate at a level where its outgoings exceed its incomings to any great degree - did you consider that?

Beefster
02-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Like what get rid of the last manager which is what the forum wanted, get a new team which is what the forum wanted, both done and still no chagce. Fact of the matter is we have a fickle fan base coupled with the current economic strain, he could sign the new viera and pires we stil would not sell out the stadium.

In any event, why do people seem to forget hibs are a business, as if they can just decided to spend what they want when they want. No business is going to be allowed to operate at a level where its outgoings exceed its incomings to any great degree - did you consider that?

Yet again, you start talking about stuff that is unrelated to anything that I've said or to the discussion in hand. I've never called for Hibs to spend more money than they have.

You're right though, Hibs are a business. No business can ignore falling revenues.

Albion Hibs
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM

Yet again, you start talking about stuff that is unrelated to anything that I've said or to the discussion in hand. I've never called for Hibs to spend more money than they have.

You're right though, Hibs are a business. No business can ignore falling revenues.

Hardly unrelated, you went on about the fan base declining and the board doing something about it, apologies if I have got it wrong what were you taking about?

Scouse Hibee
02-09-2011, 07:49 PM

:agree: Unless you operate in the EPL where business models are unique to say the least!

Beefster
03-09-2011, 06:58 AM
Hardly unrelated, you went on about the fan base declining and the board doing something about it, apologies if I have got it wrong what were you taking about?

See my previous posts on this subject - I've been a bit of a dog with a bone on this previously. There is a shedload of stuff that the club can do to attempt to stop revenues declining without spending money they don't have on the playing squad.