PDA

View Full Version : Good analysis of derby tactics

Hibstrooper
30-08-2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.theawayend.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=863:hearts-2-0-hibernian-tactical-analysis&catid=1:m-reports&Itemid=111

This article gets the derby spot on although I must admit I didn't notice us switch to a diamond formation at the start of the second, must have missed that.

Writer suggests perhaps Booth is in need of a rest, have to agree or at least shift him out to left mid which has also been a problem position.

calumb
30-08-2011, 08:47 PM
http://www.theawayend.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=863:hearts-2-0-hibernian-tactical-analysis&catid=1:m-reports&Itemid=111

This article gets the derby spot on although I must admit I didn't notice us switch to a diamond formation at the start of the second, must have missed that.

Writer suggests perhaps Booth is in need of a rest, have to agree or at least shift him out to left mid which has also been a problem position.

Pretty much spot on, our right side of the team performed well but left side was a disaster. the blame for this must go to thornhill who offered no protection to Booth. Its also critical of osbourne for the first goal but he was also strolling back picking up no one for the second. For a guy who played in the epl i am less than impressed. hopefully this is just a fitness issue but if his fitness is costing us game maybe he needs removed and given a few bounce games.

down-the-slope
30-08-2011, 08:49 PM

:agree: pretty accurate summary of the formations and result of it. As i felt CC responded to the way game was going twice...but players on the pitch meant some are too one dimensional

Judas Iscariot
30-08-2011, 09:23 PM
:agree: pretty accurate summary of the formations and result of it. As i felt CC responded to the way game was going twice...but players on the pitch meant some are too one dimensional

He responded but didn't have a ****ing clue on how to respond effectively :rolleyes:

calumb
30-08-2011, 09:38 PM
He responded but didn't have a ****ing clue on how to respond effectively :rolleyes:

The worrying thing is that from the Celtc game it was obvious that the full backs were not getting protected from midfield and 4 games on and they are still not getting protected, cc obviously cant see this/ doesnt care or is clueless on how to change it.

PeterboroHibee
30-08-2011, 09:45 PM

I dont understand why we switched to a 442 for this game when Hearts were always going to go for a 5 man midfield. We had been playing a 433 all season, why change it? Reading that article, he tried two different formations, with little impact, before switching to a 433, but the game was already gone.

The Hibs front two pressed the Hearts defenders, forcing them into the mistakes referred to above, although the rest of the side failed to follow suit. This meant that large gaps appeared between the Hibs front two and back eight, another reason why Hearts made better use of their possession.

This was also clear throughout the whole game, O'Connor was screaming at the rest of them to push up and they just didnt seem interested. All the good work he did chasing down the defenders came to nothing when the Hearts players were just able to pass it to midfielders who had plenty of space and time.

fat freddy
30-08-2011, 10:10 PM
I dont understand why we switched to a 442 for this game when Hearts were always going to go for a 5 man midfield. We had been playing a 433 all season, why change it? Reading that article, he tried two different formations, with little impact, before switching to a 433, but the game was already gone.

This was also clear throughout the whole game, O'Connor was screaming at the rest of them to push up and they just didnt seem interested. All the good work he did chasing down the defenders came to nothing when the Hearts players were just able to pass it to midfielders who had plenty of space and time.

agreed...theres no point garry o'connor pressing the opposition if the midfield aren't prepared to back him by pushing up in support and in turn the defence should back the midfield by pressing forward, defending higher up the pitch and having the faith in their abilities to be able to handle counter attacks from the higher position...when watching the best pressing teams like barca the game is condensed into a smaller area which makes inter passing and link up play between the defence, midfield and forwards more feasable as they are closer together...on sunday hibs played as three seperate entities at times and the gap between the forwards and midfield was huge....c.c. needs to decide what type of game we're playing and instruct the players accordingly...on sunday it looked like they weren't reading from the same page.

jacomo
30-08-2011, 10:13 PM

I think you've answered the question there. I was in favour of a 442 exactly because two strikers wouldn't let the Hearts defence settle and hopefully enable us to carry a threat.

Obviously it didn't work out like that but I'm not sure playing two up front was the problem.

GreenCastle
31-08-2011, 12:44 AM

Thanks for the link.

Killie we struggled on our left.

The yams also exposed that.

We can't allow our young full backs to be exposed - though Towel did well against Driver.

We do need our midfield to be more compact and work harder and track back as well as support the forwards if they decide to press.

Iain G
31-08-2011, 01:44 AM
Thanks for the link.

Killie we struggled on our left.

The yams also exposed that.

We can't allow our young full backs to be exposed - though Towel did well against Driver.

We do need our midfield to be more compact and work harder and track back as well as support the forwards if they decide to press.

The lack of a natural left sided midfielder in the team is a bit of an issue, if he wanted to keep it tight down our left hand side he could have played Lewis out wide left, if he wanted to attack then Galbraith is our option, instead we get Thornhill out there. We need to keep it simple just now and play the players where they are most comfortable until we get our team and shape right and start winning games.

Interesting and disturbing to note that the reviewer suggested our change to the diamond in midfield worked well for the start of the 2nd half before Hearts had a decent chance and our confidence dropped once again...Yogi and at the moment CC have failed to address the lack of mental toughness and resilience in the team dispite both of them talking about trying to eradicate this issue, is there something ingrained in the culture at Hibs that makes us a soft touch?

I would suggest Ivan from the bench can be more effective too in certain games...

GreenCastle
31-08-2011, 02:17 AM
The lack of a natural left sided midfielder in the team is a bit of an issue, if he wanted to keep it tight down our left hand side he could have played Lewis out wide left, if he wanted to attack then Galbraith is our option, instead we get Thornhill out there. We need to keep it simple just now and play the players where they are most comfortable until we get our team and shape right and start winning games.

Interesting and disturbing to note that the reviewer suggested our change to the diamond in midfield worked well for the start of the 2nd half before Hearts had a decent chance and our confidence dropped once again...Yogi and at the moment CC have failed to address the lack of mental toughness and resilience in the team dispite both of them talking about trying to eradicate this issue, is there something ingrained in the culture at Hibs that makes us a soft touch?

I would suggest Ivan from the bench can be more effective too in certain games...

Agreed -doesn't help that Booth has no one in front of him to protect him - leaves him clearly exposed and any good teams will create 2v1's etc on that side.

TrickyNicky
31-08-2011, 02:47 AM
Agreed -doesn't help that Booth has no one in front of him to protect him - leaves him clearly exposed and any good teams will create 2v1's etc on that side.

Booth linked up well with Wotherspoon in the match v Celtic, in fact I thought it was going to be our only option of any attack at all and they looked like they had a real understanding.

Unfortunately Wotherspoon lacks the mental fitness and confidence to play such an important role at the moment and i think Booth is now starting to feel the same.

Although both are young, their skill is unquestionable, the million dollar question is, however, how to increase their mental toughness?

PeeJay
31-08-2011, 04:59 AM

Good post - insightful - have you sent it to Calderwood...:rolleyes:

Iain G
31-08-2011, 05:05 AM
Booth linked up well with Wotherspoon in the match v Celtic, in fact I thought it was going to be our only option of any attack at all and they looked like they had a real understanding.

Unfortunately Wotherspoon lacks the mental fitness and confidence to play such an important role at the moment and i think Booth is now starting to feel the same.

Although both are young, their skill is unquestionable, the million dollar question is, however, how to increase their mental toughness?

Perhaps another 6 months on loan down the divisions would be a solution? Alas we don't have the depth of squad to allow either to take that time required to mature, so hope to god they find that resilience and belief playing for our first team... :rolleyes:

Septimus
31-08-2011, 05:23 AM
It has often been said that, man for man, we are better than other teams and yet we contrive to loose. Lining the present hearts team up against the team put out on Sunday and bearing in mind that they are paying more than us is there any part of our team which would be considered superior to the Hearts team.

Let the heads talk.........not the hearts, so to speak

Brooster
31-08-2011, 06:30 AM
Calderwoods tactics and team selections are horrendous. In my opinion he doesn't have a clue.

Sprouleflyer
31-08-2011, 06:50 AM
I think this shows just how much CC is pissing into the wind!

HFC 0-7
31-08-2011, 07:44 AM

Totally disagree. Hearts were getting down the wings wouldnt be countered by the subs we made or moving to a diamond, further narrowing the midfield.

2 things needed to be addressed during the match, their ability at getting down the wings and our ineffective attempts at attack by playing the long ball.

Neither was addressed, we narrowed the midfield making it easier for them and we put on more forward players but still humped it forward when it hadnt worked all day.

In regards to one dimensional, I would say it was Calderwood that was to one dimensional. Humping the ball forward all afternoon was the one dimensional aspect of the game. He only made changes to try and make the long ball work. Callum Booth having his worst run of games and he further exposed him in the second half. Calderwood will try and make changes to make the game plan he started the day with, IMO he doesnt do anything to try and combat opposition strengths.

sahib
31-08-2011, 12:37 PM

That has got to be the best analytical report of a Hibs game I have ever read. It could all be rubbish for all I know but it at least attempts to explain what happened without describing players as lazy, disinterested, unfit etc that many of us ,in exaspiration, resort to.