PDA

View Full Version : What's a diehard fan?

3pm
30-08-2011, 11:34 AM
"Six guys have followed Hibs for 20 years and only two of them bought season tickets this year," he said.

"They are the diehard Hibees. That is the worrying situation.

Paul Kane describing his mates.

What is a die hard? How do you define it? I have had a ST for 17 years but go to a maximum of 4 away games a season (the PBS, Celtic Park and Fir Park). I wouldn't describe myself as a 'diehard' though.

Come on, better than a 'Calderwood Out' thread. Petty point scoring allowed. :agree:

'I am a better fan than you' folk ken whit's goan oan. :aok:

Gatecrasher
30-08-2011, 11:37 AM
to me a die hard is someone who goes to see their team when they can, if they choose to go to ikea instead of the Hibs thats their choice but a die hard wouldn't do that IMO

Speedway
30-08-2011, 11:38 AM
A diehard fan is:

1. Always at the home games and often at the away games.

2. Longserving (20 years plus) perhaps having brought up future generations to support Hibs.

3. Heavy financial contribututor to the club year in year out from near and far.

4. Likes Bruce Willis.

Franck is God
30-08-2011, 11:49 AM
I consider myself a 'diehard' fan. I have a season ticket but that in itself is not it.

It's the resolve to support your team through the good times and the bad and not allow bad results to affect your going back.

A diehard does not put conditions on their support for the club eg I'm not going back until the board show some ambition.

Hibs Class
30-08-2011, 11:49 AM
A diehard fan is:

2. Longserving (20 years plus) perhaps having brought up future generations to support Hibs.

3. Heavy financial contribututor to the club year in year out from near and far.

4. Likes Bruce Willis.

:tee hee:

Franck is God
30-08-2011, 11:50 AM
A diehard fan is:

4. Likes Bruce Willis.

I forgot about the Bruce Willis thing

Scouse Hibee
30-08-2011, 02:59 PM
die-hard also die·hard (dhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhärdhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif) adj. Stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.

n. One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause:

All of us are die hards!!!!

Gettin' Auld
30-08-2011, 03:03 PM
I think it's when you die "on the job"

soproni1
30-08-2011, 03:11 PM
die-hard also die·hard (dhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/imacr.gifhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/prime.gifhärdhttp://img.tfd.com/hm/GIF/lprime.gif) adj. Stubbornly resisting change or clinging to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause.

n. One who stubbornly resists change or tenaciously adheres to a seemingly hopeless or outdated cause:

All of us are die hards!!!!

Who wants to support hopeful and revolutionary causes when you can get excited about a 2-0 midweek win over St Mirren in February - Living the dream:flag:

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-08-2011, 03:42 PM
I used to be, its actually quite surprising just how quickly it can change, I managed to make it through the Miller/Duffy eras, but, in all honesty I get more entertainment out of Soccer Saturday now! Still enjoy a wee trip to Essen/Maribor/Blackpool now and again though!

Prawn Sandwich
30-08-2011, 04:00 PM
My definition of a diehard "Hibs" fan is attending the next game at Easter Road against Aberdeen if Calderwood is still the Manager.

Baldy
30-08-2011, 04:23 PM
My definition of a diehard "Hibs" fan is attending the next game at Easter Road against Aberdeen if Calderwood is still the Manager.

no that just make's us eternally optimistic ...

calumhibee1
30-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Season ticket, goes to a few away games. And as someone else has said doesn't put conditions on there support for the team - no matter what's happening they'll always be there. :agree:

happiehibbie
30-08-2011, 04:45 PM
a Die Hard football fan
I think it is someone who goes to all the matches they can manage OR

someone who puts up with a board that are useless

someone who supports a team that there manager/player does not want to be there

someone like me and you or we would not be on this message board

I am finding it harder and harder to come out of ER happy these days and i am really struggling to make myself go along but one thing is for sure I will always love the Hibs

PS does demi Moore count

Antifa Hibs
30-08-2011, 04:51 PM
Someone who makes every effort to go to every game regardless of cost, distance, kick-off time, past results etc. Seems on here that there is a misconception that the every weekers have an unlimited supply of money and holidays at work. Fact is some people are prepared to put the extra effort in, sacrifice something to see Hibs etc. It's a shame that in Scotland this type of punter is a dyeing breed.

We've had people on here not going to see Hibs cos the M8 could be busy or cos Blackburn v Liverpool is on tele :rolleyes:

.Sean.
30-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Someone who makes every effort to go to every game regardless of cost, distance, kick-off time, past results etc. Seems on here that there is a misconception that the every weekers have an unlimited supply of money and holidays at work. Fact is some people are prepared to put the extra effort in, sacrifice something to see Hibs etc. It's a shame that in Scotland this type of punter is a dyeing breed.We've had people on here not going to see Hibs cos the M8 could be busy or cos Blackburn v Liverpool is on tele :rolleyes: Cracking post and I couldn't agree more with it but you'll probably be shot down in flames by some for saying that on here.

Albion Hibs
30-08-2011, 05:23 PM
A fan that will go to any game regardless of results, distance, I suppose. A phrase to be honest that I hate but that would be my view, hard one in some respects, as I have mates that I would class to be big hibs fans but due to financial reasons dont go to games, purely because they cant afford to, not through there own choice.

What is more worrying is that Paul Kane only has 8 mates, 6 of which now look like they will be spending there weekends in Zara, H&M, Ikea with the occasion trip to the cinema. In any event I am sure he probably gets free tickets so dont know what he is moaning about.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Him above, thats about it.

Onceinawhile
30-08-2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone who stayed Until the final whistle during that semi final.

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Someone who will not say a bad word against his team and will not hear a bad word said about his team. Think most of the above posts are mixing up fan with supporter.

sahib
30-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Someone who will not say a bad word against his team and will not hear a bad word said about his team. Think most of the above posts are mixing up fan with supporter.

That, to my mind, is just someone who is a bit odd.

Hibrandenburg
30-08-2011, 06:45 PM
That, to my mind, is just someone who is a bit odd.

Think you'll find all die hard fans are a bit odd. Me included.

JoeTortolanoFanClub
30-08-2011, 07:24 PM

That will be the big test for me. I work abroad, but will be back in Edinburgh on 11 September. It will probably be the only home game I will have the chance to see this season. But I am not sure I am that interested. Please can someone give me a good reason why I should go...

Prawn Sandwich
30-08-2011, 07:27 PM
That will be the big test for me. I work abroad, but will be back in Edinburgh on 11 September. It will probably be the only home game I will have the chance to see this season. But I am not sure I am that interested. Please can someone give me a good reason why I should go...

Because it will make it much easier for you to leave Edinburgh?

Malthibby
31-08-2011, 04:51 PM
And you will be able to say that you are a die hard fan.
GG

Hermit Crab
31-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Someone who makes every effort to go to every game regardless of cost, distance, kick-off time, past results etc. Seems on here that there is a misconception that the every weekers have an unlimited supply of money and holidays at work. Fact is some people are prepared to put the extra effort in, sacrifice something to see Hibs etc. It's a shame that in Scotland this type of punter is a dyeing breed.

We've had people on here not going to see Hibs cos the M8 could be busy or cos Blackburn v Liverpool is on tele :rolleyes:

Also the big empty section at Tynie on Sunday. Derby game competing with Man U v Arsenal on tv :tin hat:

Bad Martini
31-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Die Hard fans;
Buy the entire box set of all 4, on VHS, watching all 4 every day before, during and after work, wearing a dirty auld white vest, shouting "YIPEEKAYAAAAAAAA MOTHER****ER" whist lighting raw fuel, blootering terrorists at every chance and wondering how the same **** can happen to the same guy in the same ****ing place at the same time twice :greengrin

As for being a die hard HIBS fan, thats easy. Anyone who openly admits to following a team who rarely win silver, taking the pelters from the merricks across the city and the glory hunters from all over the country who follow the auld firm, whilst all the while ripping their own team at times but NEVER allowing any non-Hibs fan to do so, and aye, still going to games where they can (not where some uber fan would (not same thing as die hard fan - uber fans are of a different footballing alti of greatness :Greengrin) and all the while, still radgely believing that, regardless, we WILL win that ****ing Scottish Cup, beat the old firm and yams and ram some past aberdeen at Pittodrie anaw just for badness, all at once. Aw this, makes us die hard fans. The truth and reality is, we wont achieve most of this and as the old guard have been saying for years "ye think this ***** is bad son? you've seen **** all young pups"...doing all this KNOWING that it probably wont get better and whilst moaning, still DOING it all, smacks of die hard.

Thats why were aw here. Proving our die-hardedness...

Note: as I say, this is not to be confused by the uber-fan; the veritable alter boy of footballing class. Someone who, misses nothing, has green blood, the entire squad history since 1875 tattooed on their back and all our badges and crests tattoed on the arms...never EVER complains about anything and is always to be seen clapping loudly, even when we get hammered.

Bottom line; who in their right mind would sign up to being a Hibs fan, and discuss and confess this publicly unless they WERE in it for the club? There's nae much glory in it. HOWEVER, it's one of the things in life, like not running over small fluffy animals in yer motor and helping auld grannies over the street; it's just the right thing to dae. Simples.

ENDOF

Lucius Apuleius
01-09-2011, 06:10 AM
Die Hard fans;
Buy the entire box set of all 4, on VHS, watching all 4 every day before, during and after work, wearing a dirty auld white vest, shouting "YIPEEKAYAAAAAAAA MOTHER****ER" whist lighting raw fuel, blootering terrorists at every chance and wondering how the same **** can happen to the same guy in the same ****ing place at the same time twice :greengrin

As for being a die hard HIBS fan, thats easy. Anyone who openly admits to following a team who rarely win silver, taking the pelters from the merricks across the city and the glory hunters from all over the country who follow the auld firm, whilst all the while ripping their own team at times but NEVER allowing any non-Hibs fan to do so, and aye, still going to games where they can (not where some uber fan would (not same thing as die hard fan - uber fans are of a different footballing alti of greatness :Greengrin) and all the while, still radgely believing that, regardless, we WILL win that ****ing Scottish Cup, beat the old firm and yams and ram some past aberdeen at Pittodrie anaw just for badness, all at once. Aw this, makes us die hard fans. The truth and reality is, we wont achieve most of this and as the old guard have been saying for years "ye think this ***** is bad son? you've seen **** all young pups"...doing all this KNOWING that it probably wont get better and whilst moaning, still DOING it all, smacks of die hard.

Thats why were aw here. Proving our die-hardedness...

Note: as I say, this is not to be confused by the uber-fan; the veritable alter boy of footballing class. Someone who, misses nothing, has green blood, the entire squad history since 1875 tattooed on their back and all our badges and crests tattoed on the arms...never EVER complains about anything and is always to be seen clapping loudly, even when we get hammered.

Bottom line; who in their right mind would sign up to being a Hibs fan, and discuss and confess this publicly unless they WERE in it for the club? There's nae much glory in it. HOWEVER, it's one of the things in life, like not running over small fluffy animals in yer motor and helping auld grannies over the street; it's just the right thing to dae. Simples.

ENDOF

Kind of saved me typing big man :agree:

Guess I also half fall into the Uberfan category too.:greengrin

I have "discussions" on a weekly basis with my staff when they go on about supporting ra hun or tic because they win things. Bottom line they get told is if you think you support a football team because they win things then you do not understand being a football supporter. END OF.

Another thing to throw in, I bet hun and tic fans don't get a tear in their eye when they win something.

Glory Glory.

blackpoolhibs
01-09-2011, 07:55 AM
There has been a new type of fan who has arrived on the scene recently, the uber fan. He's someone who goes everywhere, home and away cant see anything thats wrong, thinks even the most useless player deserves to keep their place, they just need time, they did one thing during the game reasonably well, its someone else's fault we are not playing well. Unlucky, individual mistakes, the rub of the green going against us.

The team can do no wrong?????????????????

Then they have the cheek to have a pop at other fans who have disappeared, fans who no longer go, fans who have had enough of the dross thats been served, the same dross the uber fan drools over like a rabid dog who's standing over a bit of road kill.

You even get them saying they prefer it when its only the hard core at the game, its a better atmosphere, yet with those hardcore support numbering what, around 7k? With those hardcore fans we are just another Dundee Utd, or Motherwell.

Some would say i wish we were, they do well enough on 7k average crowds, yet those same folk wax lyrical over appearances at hampden where we played Livingston and Kilmarnock. Anyone see the irony there?

i nearly forgot, non uber fans opinions count for nothing too, if you were not at the game your opinion does not count, even if you watched it on the telly or hi.

Betty Boop
01-09-2011, 08:08 AM
I don't get all the Paul Kane bashing. The guy was invited to give his opinion as a supporter, he is obviously concerned about the current situation, and least he is honest.

H18S NX
01-09-2011, 11:16 AM
the late mick mcgee,proper die hard,end ov

Phil MaGlass
01-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Anyone who stayed Until the final whistle during that semi final.

that would be me and two others, dunno if it wis diehard or hardly sober mindyou.
Used to be a die hard, used to sell ma dinner tickets and go hungry, never missed a home game and went to almost all away games when ma mum n, dad didnae ken aboot it.even had a ST until recently, and I live in Holland, and loads o other stuff not worth mentioning.

connerg
01-09-2011, 06:48 PM

Agree, defend the good name of Hibernian and never put them down.

George Clooney
02-09-2011, 09:23 AM
What is more worrying is that Paul Kane only has 8 mates, 6 of which now look like they will be spending there weekends in Zara, H&M, Ikea.....

If his mates have only supported Hibs for 20 years, then they've never seen Kano play for us!

JoeTortolanoFanClub
12-09-2011, 12:51 PM

Against my better judgement I went. Dire from both sides. I won't be back this season thank goodness.

Andy74
12-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Anyone still going to watch what we are serving up just now can probably consider themselves a die hard fan.

We generally have a hard core of about 6,000 that'll go to league games regardless of how dire we are.

Russ
12-09-2011, 07:39 PM
A die hard fan is simple to define, look around you at the dwindling support, you will see the same faces around you week after week, THEY are the diehards. I remember in the early 80s when at times our crowds dwindled to 3500, 4000, but you would always see the familiar faces. This I ain't going cos we're p1sh fan is a fairweather fan, the diehards know who they are.

Kaiser1962
12-09-2011, 07:45 PM

Thats what seperates us from the rest. :aok: