PDA

View Full Version : Signs of Hope

spike220
30-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Well I dont want to break with tradition, but I could see a number of pleasing signs from the derby. A lot of our players are new to each other, we have not won the derby in 2 years, and I wasnt expecting a win this time round. What I was pleased to see was a number of players willing to put it around a bit and well how can I put this, having some b*lls. The fact of the matter is a lot of the new players are playing with a lot more reslove than that bunch were last season. I think we will give a few teams a fright this season. The match was a good indication of where we are presently. We were not pumped and there was no indignighty losing that bunch (as much as hate it). So to quote a famous atrist of the the late 80's "The only way is Up". This one is for all the hibs boys who are going to do the business this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc.

GGTTH:flag::flag::flag:

Speedway
30-08-2011, 07:58 AM
You'll not be thanked for this.

I agree with your point but I'm afraid only results matter.

brydekirk
30-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Well I dont want to break with tradition, but I could see a number of pleasing signs from the derby. A lot of our players are new to each other, we have not won the derby in 2 years, and I wasnt expecting a win this time round. What I was pleased to see was a number of players willing to put it around a bit and well how can I put this, having some b*lls. The fact of the matter is a lot of the new players are playing with a lot more reslove than that bunch were last season. I think we will give a few teams a fright this season. The match was a good indication of where we are presently. We were not pumped and there was no indignighty losing that bunch (as much as hate it). So to quote a famous atrist of the the late 80's "The only way is Up". This one is for all the hibs boys who are going to do the business this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc.GGTTH:flag::flag::flag: agree, pity we dont have a game this weekend

hibeeleicester
30-08-2011, 11:10 AM
:agree::agree:

Arch Stanton
30-08-2011, 11:12 AM
You'll not be thanked for this.

I agree with your point but I'm afraid only results matter.

Slight correction, it's only the results of the last 11 league games that matter - although don't ask me why.

hibs0666
30-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I agree with the OP, but the bottom line is we need to start winning sooner rather than later.

Elephant Stone
30-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Well I dont want to break with tradition, but I could see a number of pleasing signs from the derby. A lot of our players are new to each other, we have not won the derby in 2 years, and I wasnt expecting a win this time round. What I was pleased to see was a number of players willing to put it around a bit and well how can I put this, having some b*lls. The fact of the matter is a lot of the new players are playing with a lot more reslove than that bunch were last season. I think we will give a few teams a fright this season. The match was a good indication of where we are presently. We were not pumped and there was no indignighty losing that bunch (as much as hate it). So to quote a famous atrist of the the late 80's "The only way is Up". This one is for all the hibs boys who are going to do the business this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtKADQnjQmc.

GGTTH:flag::flag::flag:

So you're pleased because some players were "putting it around a bit" and we never got pumped? Christ almighty, standards are low.

I admire your optimism but the only way's been up for the last ten months are we're still waiting.

Arch Stanton
30-08-2011, 11:26 AM
So you're pleased because some players we "putting it around a bit" and we never got pumped? Christ almighty, standards are low.

I admire your optimism but the only way's been up for the last ten months are we're still waiting.

You might not agree with him but are gratuitous insults really necessary?

Elephant Stone
30-08-2011, 11:28 AM

I'm not trying to insult anyone at all. If that's the kind of thing which is pleasing to some of our fans then all I'm saying is that our expectations must be at an all time low.

Sir David Gray
30-08-2011, 11:32 AM
It's a sad day when all we've got to shout about is the fact that a number of our players put in a few meaty challenges. I don't see how that's "a sign of hope" to be honest.

We did nothing in that second half on Sunday, not a thing.

Franck is God
30-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I took a few positives from Sunday, mainly another 90 minutes on the ptch for O'Hanlon, Osbourne & O'Connor, the return of Towell and that Booth had a touch game at LB and came through it pretty well.

The first of the two conceded goals was annoying as we were in possession of the ball and the corner they scored the second from was avoidable but the delivery and the header from Webster was excellent. Other than that I thought we defended pretty well throughout and there is definitely an understanding forming.

The strength on the bench is another thing to be pleased about, being able to look at the bench and see an excellent keeper in Brown, defensive & midfield cover from Pallson, Scott & Spoony and attacking options in Galbraith, Sodje & Griffiths mean that poor performances from the current first team will hopefully result in others given their opportunity.

The defeat and the results so far have been annoying but not season defining in my book, we have had a difficult start and to me the only game I would have had earmarked for a win was St Mirren at home as our records against Sellick, ICT, Killie & Hearts are not exactly stellar and while we are still building a new team not the one you would have chosen.

Ken
30-08-2011, 11:51 AM
I have to agree with the original poster, and I can definitely see light at the end of the tunnel with this squad.

As long as we get a bit luck with injuries in defence, I think the squad we have now will finish in the top 6 and I think we will be pretty close to a top 4 finish this season, although the head start we have given other teams will not make it easy. I don't see many teams outside the top 3 from last season being able to boast a first XI that is as strong as ours, although we need to cut out the stupid mistakes.

My starting XI against all teams in the league at Easter Road outside the old firm and possibly Hearts would be as follows:

Stack

Towell O'Hanlon Hanlon Booth

Palsson Thornhill Osbourne

Agogo O'Connor(c) Griffiths

Subs: Brown (GK), Murray (CB/LB/CM), Wotherspoon (RB/RM), Sproule (RM/FWD), Sodje (FWD), Galbraith (LM/FWD), Scott (CM)

Some people might look at it as being too narrow but our full backs love to get forward at every opportunity and even with Agogo or Griffiths running into the channels to support the full backs we will still have at least 2 forwards in or around the box to get on the end of deliveries. It also gives us a strong centre midfield and also defensive players that can cover for Booth/Towell going forward.

We would maybe need to play a bit more defensive when playing away, but I am almost certain that this team will give a few teams a good hiding.

easty
30-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Are you serious? Christ almighty, your idea of an insult is different from mine!

Franck is God
30-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Stack

Towell O'Hanlon Hanlon Booth

Palsson Thornhill Osbourne

Agogo O'Connor(c) Griffiths

Subs: Brown (GK), Murray (CB/LB/CM), Wotherspoon (RB/RM), Sproule (RM/FWD), Sodje (FWD), Galbraith (LM/FWD), Scott (CM)

Some people might look at it as being too narrow but our full backs love to get forward at every opportunity and even with Agogo or Griffiths running into the channels to support the full backs we will still have at least 2 forwards in or around the box to get on the end of deliveries. It also gives us a strong centre midfield and also defensive players that can cover for Booth/Towell going forward.

We would maybe need to play a bit more defensive when playing away, but I am almost certain that this team will give a few teams a good hiding.

That would pretty much be my first choice eleven too but I would maybe use Ivan or Spoony in place of Agogo to have natural width rather than a striker playing wide. Having a solid midfield three is the way forward for me, Hearts had three in theirs yesterday and bossed the game comfortably, playing narrow also leaves space for your full backs to get right forward and if you have a mobile front line they don't need to stick in the same position all the time anyway.

ahibby
30-08-2011, 12:12 PM
We know that we played the Killie and St Mirren game with out a full squad of players. The full squad according to CC came to be only a few days before the Hearts game. There might be some explanation for the poor results in there. However, it appears we have a full squad now and so as I keep saying the next four or five games barring injuries and suspensions will be an indication of our season to come.

JimBHibees
30-08-2011, 12:32 PM
We know that we played the Killie and St Mirren game with out a full squad of players. The full squad according to CC came to be only a few days before the Hearts game. There might be some explanation for the poor results in there. However, it appears we have a full squad now and so as I keep saying the next four or five games barring injuries and suspensions will be an indication of our season to come.

Yep we need to start seeing much better than was on show in the second half on Sunday or Calderwood's days are numbered IMO. He is a little baffling with some of his decisions such as his starting line up and tactical changes on Sunday which crucified Booth IMO. Part of me doesnt want to think the worst however is it possible he is working his ticket out in that being sacked would mean no compensation from another club. No doubt this isnt the case however the changes for Sunday made the team weaker at the start of the game and the longer it went.

lyonhibs
30-08-2011, 12:37 PM
The only - and I mean only - sign of "hope" as it were is that we now have a decent bench, and I think that Scott, Sodje and Griffiths should start against Aberdeen, with Thornhill, Agogo and Sproule benched, as they were wholly unimpressive against Hearts, Thornhill in particular.

--------
30-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Slight correction, it's only the results of the last 11 league games that matter - although don't ask me why.

Actually, for some of us it's the way things have gone since March 2007 that matters.

As far as I can see, we've been in an ever-tightening downward spiral since then, and no one in the position to do something to stop this seems willing to do so.

I think Paul Kane has it just about right, myself.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14712015.stm

--------
30-08-2011, 12:48 PM
So you're pleased because some players were "putting it around a bit" and we never got pumped? Christ almighty, standards are low.

Are you serious? Christ almighty, your idea of an insult is different from mine!

It may not be a direct insult to the previous poster, but it's certainly extremely offensive to some of us on this board... :rolleyes:

HibsMax
30-08-2011, 01:23 PM
I'm not trying to insult anyone at all. If that's the kind of thing which is pleasing to some of our fans then all I'm saying is that our expectations must be at an all time low.

I don't want to pick on your post specifically because you're not alone. I don't think that (m)any people are pleased or happy with what is going on but that doesn't mean that you can't see some things that you find pleasing. You know, a silver lining? For example, let's say you're team gets beaten 5-1, a reasonably sound thrashing. Difficult to be positive after losing that many goals. But let's say the one goal that they did score was a work of brilliance. A well-worked move that resulted in a quality finish. Now we can all agree that one goal against five is not good enough but that doesn't take away from the fact that an excellent goal was created and scored. People should be allowed to focus on that without being accused of having low standards. I don't think anyone is saying that what we are seeing right now is great. It's not even good. I'm no say ignore all the bad and just focus on the good but there have been some highlights this season, just not enough. We need to create more of these. All I am saying is don't confuse people saying they say something that is worthy of optimism as being an indicator that all is well and they are ecstatic with Hibs right now because I really think you will struggle to find people who believe that. I might be a hopeless optimist, I may think that Hibs can turn this season around but that does not mean I am happy with the way things have gone so far and I truly believe that most people will feel that way too.

Elephant Stone
30-08-2011, 01:49 PM
I don't want to pick on your post specifically because you're not alone. I don't think that (m)any people are pleased or happy with what is going on but that doesn't mean that you can't see some things that you find pleasing. You know, a silver lining? For example, let's say you're team gets beaten 5-1, a reasonably sound thrashing. Difficult to be positive after losing that many goals. But let's say the one goal that they did score was a work of brilliance. A well-worked move that resulted in a quality finish. Now we can all agree that one goal against five is not good enough but that doesn't take away from the fact that an excellent goal was created and scored. People should be allowed to focus on that without being accused of having low standards. I don't think anyone is saying that what we are seeing right now is great. It's not even good. I'm no say ignore all the bad and just focus on the good but there have been some highlights this season, just not enough. We need to create more of these. All I am saying is don't confuse people saying they say something that is worthy of optimism as being an indicator that all is well and they are ecstatic with Hibs right now because I really think you will struggle to find people who believe that. I might be a hopeless optimist, I may think that Hibs can turn this season around but that does not mean I am happy with the way things have gone so far and I truly believe that most people will feel that way too.

I understand there's a difference between being pleased and seeing a cause for optimism. Either way, what the OP saw at Tincastle- getting stuck in and not getting pumped- is far from any silver lining or cause for optimism. At this stage, five games into the season with four losses and 38 games into CC's tenure with 22 losses, I think we need to be seeing a much more obvious sign for optimism that that if we're going to have any hope.