PDA

View Full Version : Kano

Jonnyboy
29-08-2011, 10:43 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14712015.stm

greenlex
29-08-2011, 10:50 PM
The tea time news ran with this story as their sports headline. The trailer was hibs stalwart/ legend tells us whats wrong with the club. They didnt tell you who or what it was but I guessed what and it was between him and Jackue Mac for who.I wasnt disappointed.

Jonnyboy
29-08-2011, 10:56 PM
The tea time news ran with this story as their sports headline. The trailer was hibs stalwart/ legend tells us whats wrong with the club. They didnt tell you who or what it was but I guessed what and it was between him and Jackue Mac for who.I wasnt disappointed.

Seems some of our former players ain't happy A :greengrin

Kato
29-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Hard to argue with anything he is saying.

SRHibs
29-08-2011, 11:05 PM
Hard to argue with anything he is saying.

Apart from his arithmetic :wink:

"Three years ago, the club had record season tickets of about 11,500. We are now down to about 6,200."We have lost about 3,000 paying, loyal customers."

The_Famous_HFC
29-08-2011, 11:09 PM
:top marks

hibeedonald
29-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Everything he said :top marks

Kato
29-08-2011, 11:29 PM

:greengrin

hibee92
29-08-2011, 11:38 PM

:faf::greengrin

Sir David Gray
29-08-2011, 11:55 PM
It could get a wee bit tasty when he arrives at Easter Road on Sunday to play in the testimonial day for the Hibs Heroes' team. :greengrin

Nando™
30-08-2011, 12:34 AM
I'm pretty sure the last time we won a league match was this very month...

KiddA
30-08-2011, 02:14 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14712015.stm

I have to agree with everything he says, I have said on other threads it starts from the top. Hibs need a major clear out from top to bottom starting with Petrie then everyone else from the coaching staff down to the scouts. The club needs a complete overhaul desperately, I just wish someone with a bit of cash would come in and help us out. I appreciate everything that Tom Farmer has done but like Kano says he has probably taken the club as far as he can and should put Hibs up for sale.

Haymaker
30-08-2011, 02:23 AM
I appreciate everything that Tom Farmer has done but like Kano says he has probably taken the club as far as he can and should put Hibs up for sale.

Who would buy a scottish football club?

I do agree this club needs a clear out, a change up in the backroom especially but who would buy a scottish football team and take them forward? Where is the incentive?

KiddA
30-08-2011, 04:16 AM
Who would buy a scottish football club?

I do agree this club needs a clear out, a change up in the backroom especially but who would buy a scottish football team and take them forward? Where is the incentive?

I see your point but Hibs are not a club in major debt like other clubs we know too well Rangers and Hearts to name a couple. Scottish football is not completely dead just yet, if someone came in and could see the potential of Hibernian then it may just be worth while. Kano had some good points but the most alarming was three years ago, the club had record season tickets of about 11,500. We are now down to about 6,200. The fans are there but do you blame the fans that have walked away? I mean Hibs are the most expensive team to go and watch in the SPL. How can you justify that in today's economy :confused: and on top of that the product on the park is truly awful at the moment. The positives of buying a club like Hibs is the Stadium the training facilities are probably some of the best in Britain and the fan base as we know is there but there must be incentive to come back. Hibs fans will come back but there must be change first and foremost as the people at the helm are destroying the club I love at the moment.

7Hero
30-08-2011, 06:31 AM
surely Petrie can't be removed as long as farmer owns the club, also there is the small matter of his 10% shares .

One can only imagine the haggling between the worlds 2 tightest men.

Farmer can't and won't leave so doesn't matter who us in charge they will still be owned by farmer and ambitionless on the pitch.

Only hope is that farmer soon realises the dreadful state of the club and starts giving a crap

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

down the slope
30-08-2011, 06:45 AM
I don't think we need a new owner but we need people who run our club to make the right decisions ,not easy when you know nowt about football as as been shown in the last few years , it would be good if sir Tom could kick a few erses . By the way who appointed Petrie in the first place ?, i genuinely do not know how the club is managed at the top or by whom but i know he became chairman just after TM was appointed .

SkintHibby
30-08-2011, 07:04 AM
Great comments from Kano as usual.:agree:

JustSimplyHibs
30-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Paul Kane the guy that left Hibs for more cash and before the Mercer takeover...well say he stuck around to help his beloved club in need and get us out the dark times.

Sorry cant help but think the poor attendances are having an effect on his finances with his pub.

Still mind his headed goal against the YAMS at Tynie sweet as like.

Niffy
30-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Aye, gave Hibs a ransom note before scarpering, then when times improved came crawling back asking for a deal.
Alex Miller told him where to get off...

Twa Cairpets
30-08-2011, 07:49 AM
I don't think we need a new owner but we need people who run our club to make the right decisions ,not easy when you know nowt about football as as been shown in the last few years , it would be good if sir Tom could kick a few erses . By the way who appointed Petrie in the first place ?, i genuinely do not know how the club is managed at the top or by whom but i know he became chairman just after TM was appointed .

So a guy who has been involved in football for at least the last 10-15 years at helm of a major club knows nowt about football?

These are the sort of throwaway lines that are both wrong and meaningless. Look at the rest of the SPL - not exactly replete with years of footballing knowledge is it? And why should it be. If you've been employed as a footballer since you were 16, what possible qualification would you have to be able to step in and run a medium sized business with lots of employees. The only exception I can think of is Niall Quinn at Sunderland

You may think the 'tache is no good at running Hibs -but thats an entirely different argument.

As for Kano, thats the view of a fan, nothing more nothing less.

smurf
30-08-2011, 08:15 AM
His opinions mean no more or no less than any other fan.

He does say what a lot think.

I think we all want change. Change in our results on the park would be a welcome change.

All focus needs to be on winning our next game at home to Aberdeen.

Time for CC to deliver results. Now.

jdships
30-08-2011, 08:25 AM
" Paul Kane the guy that left Hibs for more cash and before the Mercer takeover ........................ "
Exactly what came to mind when I read his article.:agree:
He is , as all of us are, entitled to an opinion but would suggest the he " be careful what you wishes for "

7Hero

Only hope is that farmer soon realises the dreadful state of the club and starts giving a crap

Have you ever met and actually spoken with STF ?
If you have you wouldn't write nonsense like that .

:flag:

Iain G
30-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Paul Kane is turning into our very own version of Gary McKay...an easy media option as a rent a quote on Hibs knowing he won't say anything positive about the club and they'll get some good vaguely controversial copy out of him.

And some of what he has said here if factually innacurate as John Collins walked and wasn't "got rid of" but never mind, another excuse to have a go at Petrie who he clearly has some issues with. Quite sad IMHO.

SquashedFrogg
30-08-2011, 08:39 AM
Aye, gave Hibs a ransom note before scarpering, then when times improved came crawling back asking for a deal.
Alex Miller told him where to get off...

I was beginning to think I was the only one thinking this. Couldn't wait to get away from the club.

The mans an :asshole:

Speedway
30-08-2011, 08:44 AM
His opinions mean no more or no less than any other fan.

He does say what a lot think.

I think we all want change. Change in our results on the park would be a welcome change.

All focus needs to be on winning our next game at home to Aberdeen.

Time for CC to deliver results. Now.

If CC was winning more than he lost there would be few if any calls for a root and branch overhaul of Hibs. Eg. Belmers posting pish.

" Paul Kane the guy that left Hibs for more cash and before the Mercer takeover ........................ "
He is , as all of us are, entitled to an opinion but would suggest the he " be careful what you wishes for "

7Hero

:agree: If only we could overhaul the fans into thinking though their concerns.

Paul Kane is turning into our very own version of Gary McKay...an easy media option as a rent a quote on Hibs knowing he won't say anything positive about the club and they'll get some good vaguely controversial copy out of him.

And some of what he has said here if factually innacurate as John Collins walked and wasn't "got rid of" but never mind, another excuse to have a go at Petrie who he clearly has some issues with. Quite sad IMHO.

McKay without the one remaining cancerous brain cell.

JimBHibees
30-08-2011, 08:52 AM

Completely agree. His opinion would have more credence if he didnt regurgitate the same every 6 months or so.

Dr Jimmy
30-08-2011, 08:56 AM
He is another Hibs fan expressing his disappointment at the way the club is drifting downwards. As a fan he is entitled to his opinion in the same way everyone else is.
Oh, and I actually agree with him.

sambajustice
30-08-2011, 08:57 AM
Who actually cares what Paul Kane thinks??

Speedway
30-08-2011, 08:59 AM
Who actually cares what Paul Kane thinks??

Paul Kane and those with his agenda.

Iain G
30-08-2011, 09:20 AM
What I really want to know is what he means by this:

"I don't want to see Rod Petrie at the club," Kane told BBC Scotland after Sunday's 2-0 derby defeat by Hearts.

"He is too involved in the football side and going against the manager."

What does going against the manager mean? CC has stated he is happy with the backing he has had from the whole board at the club regarding how much they wanted him and backing him in the transfer market.

And I thought Rod had backed off a little and we have Fife and Scott Lindsay now dealing directly with the manager in terms of signings / football side, however this obviously doesn't suit Pauls agenda here...

bawheid
30-08-2011, 09:23 AM
What I really want to know is what he means by this:

"I don't want to see Rod Petrie at the club," Kane told BBC Scotland after Sunday's 2-0 derby defeat by Hearts.

"He is too involved in the football side and going against the manager."

What does going against the manager mean? CC has stated he is happy with the backing he has had from the whole board at the club regarding how much they wanted him and backing him in the transfer market.

And I thought Rod had backed off a little and we have Fife and Scott Lindsay now dealing directly with the manager in terms of signings / football side, however this obviously doesn't suit Pauls agenda here...

Kane's probably regurgitating the rumour that Petrie buys players and forces them on his various managers.

Iain G
30-08-2011, 09:33 AM
Kane's probably regurgitating the rumour that Petrie buys players and forces them on his various managers.

So if the rumour is true then he must have done the same to Collins and Hughes who Kano praises for Cup Win and getting into Europe, which was obviously Rod's "fault" aswell as he signed all them players...or does it only become true when we are not doing so well... :wink:

bawheid
30-08-2011, 09:35 AM
So if the rumour is true then he must have done the same to Collins and Hughes who Kano praises for Cup Win and getting into Europe, which was obviously Rod's "fault" aswell as he signed all them players...or does it only become true when we are not doing so well... :wink:

I think the best policy is just to ignore Paul Kane, as he generally slavers pish.

Hibernia Na Eir
30-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Im 100% behind Kano. Well said Paul Kane. Everything that is wrong with Hibernian FC is squarly Sir T F's and RP's fault.

Iain G
30-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Im 100% behind Kano. Well said Paul Kane. Everything that is wrong with Hibernian FC is squarly Sir T F's and RP's fault.

Yes of course it is...so who gets the blame for the things the club are doing well then?

smurf
30-08-2011, 09:54 AM
Yes of course it is...so who gets the blame for the things the club are doing well then?

I get your point but the club functions to be a football club. And as a football club we are performing horrifically below expectations. And have been doing so for some time...

Therefore IMHO ire directed towards our leadership is to be expected and accepted.

Cropley10
30-08-2011, 10:14 AM

The Board have had plenty of credit for selling players and investing in infrastructure.

The suggestion that they are not equally complicit in our fortunes on the pitch seems strange to me.

Iain G
30-08-2011, 10:33 AM
The Board have had plenty of credit for selling players and investing in infrastructure.

The suggestion that they are not equally complicit in our fortunes on the pitch seems strange to me.

Funny that none of the good stuff they have done over the period Paul Kane is talking about is raised in the very very negative article then and he focuses on the bad...cant have one without the other IMHO as running Hibs is a hell of a balancing act.

SneakersO'Toole
30-08-2011, 11:36 AM
The board are the supposed leaders of this club and currently it is failing in a number of departments. Therefore, IMO they need to be held accountable for that.

They are paid extremely well for what they do and no one is denying some of the positive contributions they have made to the club. However, the club is going backwards and part of the reason for that are decisions that have been made at board level.

The board are partly to blame for this downfall, whether people want to see it or not.

Speedway
30-08-2011, 11:42 AM
The board are the supposed leaders of this club and currently it is failing in a number of departments. Therefore, IMO they need to be held accountable for that.

They are paid extremely well for what they do and no one is denying some of the positive contributions they have made to the club. However, the club is going backwards and part of the reason for that are decisions that have been made at board level.

The board are partly to blame for this downfall, whether people want to see it or not.

Is the club not actually going forward in that it reduces it's debt, improves it's facilities, improves it's playing budget, attracts players with higher calibres, has facilities to train in, pulls in higher & more sponsorship deals and is now no longer run by one person?

The fluctuations in support have been seen many times before, are to be expected and hence why more effort is put into finding commercial revenues to fill in the troughs when the team underperforms

SneakersO'Toole
30-08-2011, 12:00 PM
Is the club not actually going forward in that it reduces it's debt, improves it's facilities, improves it's playing budget, attracts players with higher calibres, has facilities to train in, pulls in higher & more sponsorship deals and is now no longer run by one person?

Reduces it debt? We'll see when the accounts are out in a couple of weeks.

Improves playing budget? And achieved zero by doing so.

Attracts players with higher calibres? Not true IMO. You'll say Stokes and Miller and I'll reply with Trakys and De Graff.

Has facilities to train in? No argument there.

Pulls in higher & more sponsorship deals? Compared to when?

And is now no longer run by one person? Hmm. True but I think we both know who has the final say/sign off on all things financial.

There is nothing that you have said in the above that the club is moving forward from a footballing perspective. Hence the fallings numbers at games. Hence no derby wins in 2 years. Hence no cup runs. Hence a handful of meaningful wins against our rivals.

The fluctuations in support have been seen many times before, are to be expected and hence why more effort is put into finding commercial revenues to fill in the troughs when the team underperforms

Just because there has been fluctuations in the support previously does not mean they should be accepted moving forward. The club failed to capitalise on its 2007 cup win and attendances have been decreasing ever since.

The board rightly took the plaudits when things were going well. The logic must apply when things are going poorly.

The infrastructure is there for the club to develop and become a consistent top 4 team and consistent performer in cups. So why is it we are not doing that?

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2011, 05:40 PM

The board and manager should get full credit when things go well, any idea when this could be?

Boris
30-08-2011, 06:07 PM
2007 Cup win? Nothing to do with JC or the Board - Tam McCourt won us that trophy. Just try finding an after match photo on the pitch without hm in it.........:not worth

sesoim
30-08-2011, 06:21 PM

I listened to the full interview last night on Radio Scotland, and although I agreed with most of his criticisms of Petrie, he then proceeded to let himself down by saying John Hughes should still be the manager (:brickwall). To make matters worse, the other guys on the show then talked about whether most Hibs fans would prefer to have Hughes back instead of Calderwood. No we wouldn't - and that isn't the issue here. The issue is that BOTH of them have been poor appointments and when does the buck stop at Petrie for making these decisions.

SquashedFrogg
30-08-2011, 06:28 PM
2007 Cup win? Nothing to do with JC or the Board - Tam McCourt won us that trophy. Just try finding an after match photo on the pitch without hm in it.........:not worth

Unsung hero that day IIRC

Set up Fletch nicely for the 5th goal :agree:

(or maybe I was a little drunk at that stage?)

Jim44
30-08-2011, 07:05 PM
This thread is taking on biblical proportions ............................ you could call it Kane and 'unable'. :offski:

joebakerforever
30-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Care to provide actual budget figures to substantiate your claim, as I was informed in April, that Petrie had cut the proposed playing budget for 2011/12 ?

I do not have actual figures, but obviously with your superior knowledge of such things you will be able to provide accurate details to refute what I was told.

Re attracting higher calibre players, please name these when compared to previous seasons headline signings.

While you claim were are attracting higher calibre players, have any of these offset the likes of Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, Murphy, Stokes, etc. who exited for sizeable transfer fees ?

skankomcphee
30-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Paul Kane and those with his agenda.

What is the agenda here though, that's the big question for me. Kano may see himself as a prominent Hibs-orientated businessman and who would be surprised if at some point in future he was part of a consortium looking to buy the club?

Personally I'd rather stick with the devils I know than have Kano on the board, IMHO of course. I once played devil's advocate with him over his unwavering support of Collins and I didn't find his reaction particularly pleasant.

Kaiser1962
30-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Care to provide actual budget figures to substantiate your claim, as I was informed in April, that Petrie had cut the proposed playing budget for 2011/12 ?

I do not have actual figures, but obviously with your superior knowledge of such things you will be able to provide accurate details to refute what I was told.

Re attracting higher calibre players, please name these when compared to previous seasons headline signings.

While you claim were are attracting higher calibre players, have any of these offset the likes of Brown, Thomson, Fletcher, Murphy, Stokes, etc. who exited for sizeable transfer fees ?

We wont know what we've spent till the end of the season but I would think that an increase is unlikely given that income is falling and the wage budget, despite six seasons of yearly increases, will reflect that. There are those that will argue that revenue will only increase if the club spends more to attract better players, or is successful, but this is not always the case.

Anyhow those that run our club will not employ a "spend first" strategy. Therefore if we stop going the clubs expenditure is going to drop accordingly.

IberianHibernian
30-08-2011, 09:48 PM
After reading some of the comments criticising Kano I`ve reread original article and don`t see what the fuss is about . Could have been said by almost any Hibs fan who`s dissatisfied by onfield results and performances and is concerned that those in charge of the club don`t share our ambition for success . Only difference is that Kano is an ex Hibs player and journalist who wrote article like most journalists is looking for a controversial angle . Can`t imagine many if any other ex Hibs players would say anything very different if asked off record about current situation of club . Some of the comments seem to be more personal than based on Kano`s opinion ( same happened when Yogi`s name was mentioned as possible Hibs manager when his team were doing so well at Falkirk ) . I`ve never spoken to Kano in my life so have no reason to defend his opinions but if club is to progress on and off field surely we have to listen to criticism ? Is anyone really happy with current situation ?

givescotlandfreedom
30-08-2011, 09:56 PM
Could have been posted by anyone here really. The last former player to say anything of any real value was Eddie Turnbull whose only agenda was the best for Hibernian and really could say he'd been there and done it all.

hibeemarley
30-08-2011, 09:57 PM
Paul Kanes a thug who cares what he thinks

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Paul Kanes a thug who cares what he thinks

Sometimes he will, sometimes he wont?

HUTCHYHIBBY
30-08-2011, 11:57 PM
Paul Kanes a thug Care to elaborate?

Haymaker
31-08-2011, 02:41 AM
I see your point but Hibs are not a club in major debt like other clubs we know too well Rangers and Hearts to name a couple. Scottish football is not completely dead just yet, if someone came in and could see the potential of Hibernian then it may just be worth while. Kano had some good points but the most alarming was three years ago, the club had record season tickets of about 11,500. We are now down to about 6,200. The fans are there but do you blame the fans that have walked away? I mean Hibs are the most expensive team to go and watch in the SPL. How can you justify that in today's economy :confused: and on top of that the product on the park is truly awful at the moment. The positives of buying a club like Hibs is the Stadium the training facilities are probably some of the best in Britain and the fan base as we know is there but there must be incentive to come back. Hibs fans will come back but there must be change first and foremost as the people at the helm are destroying the club I love at the moment.

While I agree with your points and I would love it to happen, in the end a man who buys us and blows a load of cash will want to get that money back and unfortunatly that wont happen. We could qualify for the CL but the money to get and stay at that level wouldnt be made back from the competition IMO.

KiddA
31-08-2011, 03:02 AM
While I agree with your points and I would love it to happen, in the end a man who buys us and blows a load of cash will want to get that money back and unfortunatly that wont happen. We could qualify for the CL but the money to get and stay at that level wouldnt be made back from the competition IMO.

I hear you mate and we can maybe only dream of big investment but for me I would like to get someone in who cares about the product on the park and a wee bit investment would go a long way with a couple of exciting signings. Time will tell but as far as I am concerned the s### hit the fan months ago and we need some kind of change. Fingers crossed that the tables will turn soon and I can go back to this thread and say I was jumping the gun but really can't see it at the moment.

Haymaker
31-08-2011, 03:20 AM
I hear you mate and we can maybe only dream of big investment but for me I would like to get someone in who cares about the product on the park and a wee bit investment would go a long way with a couple of exciting signings. Time will tell but as far as I am concerned the s### hit the fan months ago and we need some kind of change. Fingers crossed that the tables will turn soon and I can go back to this thread and say I was jumping the gun but really can't see it at the moment.

Fair play mate I just dont see anyone thinking it would be a great investment. As much as I would love someone with a wallet the size of some Qatari oil baron to come and buy the club.

blackpoolhibs
31-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Fair play mate I just dont see anyone thinking it would be a great investment. As much as I would love someone with a wallet the size of some Qatari oil baron to come and buy the club.

I'd just love to get a manager who can manage the funds at his disposal properly, teams with half our spending power manage it.

hibeemarley
31-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Care to elaborate?

sure! me and my friend both hibs fans/season ticket holders (at the time) have lived in glasgow the majority of our lives therefore have the accents. Can take a bit of banter no problem... we're used to it. But Super Kano and his stone island wearing pals threatened me and my mate before scottish cup game at Hampden outside the Arc pub beside George Square. We were made to show our tickets to prove where we were sitting therefore hibs fans. He called off his cronies and did to be fair apologise afterwards (nice guy) and let us go on our way to watch the game. :taxi

Haymaker
01-09-2011, 02:25 AM
I'd just love to get a manager who can manage the funds at his disposal properly, teams with half our spending power manage it.

True, this would be an improvement

smurf
01-09-2011, 08:34 AM

I still think the case against CC in this respect is 'not proven' however the evidence is undoubtedly mounting..

By the Aberdeen fixture they should all be fit.

No excuses.

basehibby
01-09-2011, 09:05 AM
After reading some of the comments criticising Kano I`ve reread original article and don`t see what the fuss is about . Could have been said by almost any Hibs fan who`s dissatisfied by onfield results and performances and is concerned that those in charge of the club don`t share our ambition for success . Only difference is that Kano is an ex Hibs player and journalist who wrote article like most journalists is looking for a controversial angle . Can`t imagine many if any other ex Hibs players would say anything very different if asked off record about current situation of club . Some of the comments seem to be more personal than based on Kano`s opinion ( same happened when Yogi`s name was mentioned as possible Hibs manager when his team were doing so well at Falkirk ) . I`ve never spoken to Kano in my life so have no reason to defend his opinions but if club is to progress on and off field surely we have to listen to criticism ? Is anyone really happy with current situation ?

:confused: Eh??? Kano is no journalist - as landlord of the Four in Hand he's more a man of litres than a man of letters (OK - man of pints but that wouldn't have rhymed would it?).

I don't agree with everything Kano says but, like Iberian above, I'm mystefied as to why some folk get so hot under the collar just cos he favours a change at the top. I have been in disagreement with the board over a number of things over the years and, much as I appreciate their sterling work in many respects, I think there have been some decisions made which have held the club back rather than pushed it forward.

For one thing, the appointment of managers is the single most important job the board have to do and they have hardly covered themselves in glory in that respect in recent years.

7Hero
01-09-2011, 12:14 PM

7Hero

yup have met him on several occasions, and im not writing nonsense either..

Wembley67
01-09-2011, 12:35 PM
yup have met him on several occasions, and im not writing nonsense either..

You know how it works here, unless you are a well kent poster whatever anyone else posts isn't seen as gospel :rolleyes:

greenlex
01-09-2011, 02:43 PM
I still think the case against CC in this respect is 'not proven' however the evidence is undoubtedly mounting..

By the Aberdeen fixture they should all be fit.

No excuses.
:agree: 100% He needs to start producing and quickly. If he doesn't the season will get away from him and he will fail. Where we go from there is anyone's guess but it will be steeply uphill that's for sure.