PDA

View Full Version : Paco Luna

just_joe
29-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Was bored and went into youtube looking up old players and watched a video of paco Luna scoring for Dundee against Celtic. Didn't even know he played for Dundee! Did we sign him from them?

HibeeSince85
29-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Was bored and went into youtube looking up old players and watched a video of paco Luna scoring for Dundee against Celtic. Didn't even know he played for Dundee! Did we sign him from them?

Nah, he had a loan spell with them before us.

Good player Paco, I liked him.

truehibernian
29-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Nice bloke too. I remember having a cup of tea with him at his flat in East London Street. Couldn't speak a word of English really.....it was like sharing a cuppa with the latino maid in Family Guy......'me no english not so good'......neighbours with Zitelli too......now there was a player.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-08-2011, 06:00 PM
His ridiculous hair prevented us from beating AEK Athens...........that header.......oh that header.........agonising.

He did play superbly that night, however. I think even de la Cruz had a decent game that night too, I can remember him bamboozling their left back with a sumptuous flick.

HibeeSince85
29-08-2011, 06:02 PM
His ridiculous hair prevented us from beating AEK Athens...........that header.......oh that header.........agonising.

He did play superbly that night, however. I think even de la Cruz had a decent game that night too, I can remember him bamboozling their left back with a sumptuous flick.

Was the flick not against Crainey against Celtic?

He did play well against Athens though.

truehibernian
29-08-2011, 06:03 PM
The rendition of Sunshine on Leith waiting for extra time to start was just the most amazing experiences at a Hibs game for me PH. And yep, one of the few shining De La Cruz moments. How on earth we got as much from Villa still amazes me.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Was the flick not against Crainey against Celtic?

He did play well against Athens though.

He never repeated the trick twice, did he? :confused:. Well, blow me down. He definitely did it that night.

Pedantic_Hibee
29-08-2011, 06:06 PM
The rendition of Sunshine on Leith waiting for extra time to start was just the most amazing experiences at a Hibs game for me PH. And yep, one of the few shining De La Cruz moments. How on earth we got as much from Villa still amazes me.

I can recall the SoL singsong at half-time. Without a doubt one of the most hair-raising renditions of that song, that night was absolutely electric. I don't think I've ever been to a Hibs game like it in my entire life. Packed to the rafters, facing one of Europe's better teams and Easter Road absolutely jumping.

Ah, for a night like that again.

HibeeSince85
29-08-2011, 06:07 PM
He never repeated the trick twice, did he? :confused:. Well, blow me down. He definitely did it that night.

He skinned Crainey a beauty alright with a nice flick, can't remember the one against Athens.

truehibernian
29-08-2011, 06:10 PM
I was sure we did a real emotional burst of it waiting for extra time. That said I was hoarse by 70 minutes. Whole support were just magnificent that night. Ach it's magic being a Hibee despite it all eh.

frazeHFC
29-08-2011, 06:15 PM
I was young at the time but can remember it well. ER was bouncing and would have been class had Luna scored that late header.

What a night it was! :flag:

frazeHFC
29-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I used to always watch the video until video player broke and DVDs took over.

Dinkydoo
29-08-2011, 07:00 PM
I was young at the time but can remember it well. ER was bouncing and would have been class had Luna scored that late header.

The best ER experience for me by far although I too was only young.

I'd do almost anything another like it; bar allow an eccentric Lithuanian get us into millions of pounds worth of debt. :greengrin

JustSimplyHibs
29-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Fantastic night am i right in saying the twin towers came down a couple of weeks earlier so they cancelled the game and some hibbys got stuck in greece, am sure Athens fans burnt an American flag at ER. when we were over there a know they burnt the flag also getting lighters, bolts and nuts chucked at us.

They seriously thought they were on easy street that mob from Athens...Zitelli's goal was good....must have been fae 30 yards out.

Aye good night...sigh:flag:

SteveHFC
29-08-2011, 07:04 PM

:agree:

SteveHFC
29-08-2011, 07:06 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36L51_1fqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qL7WkVlwME
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qL7WkVlwME)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv4DaALdyMI

Only if he scored that header at the end.

DH1875
29-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Paco's one of my all time favourite players at ER :agree::thumbsup:.

Leishy1995
29-08-2011, 08:39 PM
I was just old enough to remember him, his chopped of header in a 4-2 defeat for "handball" against the huns, anyone remember that at ER?

Gala Foxes
29-08-2011, 08:42 PM
I remember a carbon copy of the Athens "header miss" by Luna at Ibrox, I think in the Orman 2-2 draw game

Dinkydoo
30-08-2011, 05:51 AM
Am I right in thinking that Athens actually scored first but had it chopped off for offside?

Can remember everyone around me in the west giving them the fingers and laughing early on in the game; sure it's because they thought they'd just put the tie beyond doubt and started celebrating.

patlowe
30-08-2011, 08:55 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F36L51_1fqo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qL7WkVlwME
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qL7WkVlwME)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv4DaALdyMI

Only if he scored that header at the end.

De La Cruz looks absolutely awesome in those clips, he skins the left back about 10 times just in those 3 videos! The team as a whole played with an amazing tempo in the 90 and AEK could not cope. I seem to remember their number 10 being the difference over the 2 legs.

How did that hibs team manage to screw up that season so badly? It was still an extremely decent team. Brewster, O'Neill, Laursen, DLC, Luna, Jack, Murray, Sauzee etc.

hibs0666
30-08-2011, 09:30 AM

My mates ended up seated in the AEK technical area that night. The steward panicked when he found out that my mates seats didn't exist and told them both to jump over the wall and sit beside the Greek blokes. :thumbsup:

The Sea-gull
30-08-2011, 09:38 AM
De La Cruz looks absolutely awesome in those clips, he skins the left back about 10 times just in those 3 videos! The team as a whole played with an amazing tempo in the 90 and AEK could not cope. I seem to remember their number 10 being the difference over the 2 legs.

How did that hibs team manage to screw up that season so badly? It was still an extremely decent team. Brewster, O'Neill, Laursen, DLC, Luna, Jack, Murray, Sauzee etc.

I often wonder that myself as on the back of 00/01 we were everyone's favourites for a third place finish and there was even talk of a title tilt. Pre-season, on paper the signings (Luna, Brewster, De la Cruz, Orman) looked not bad either.

McLeish started to get ideas above his station though. Binned hard working players like Mixu and Lovell. The loss of Latapy was massive. Arpinion was supposed to replace him but was either injured or when he did play just did not looked suited to the Scottish game.

Brewster took a while to find form and fitness and was promptly freed only to star for Dunfermline the next year.

That was the season that time caught up with Sauzee. Same could be said about Jack and O'Neil who were never the same in midfield without wee Russel beside them. Zitelli never hit the heights or looked fit and Luna flitted in and out of form though when he looked good, he looked very good. Same could be said about De La Cruz.

Uli Laursen missed half the season through injury and without him and Sauzee players like Smith and Fenwick started to go off the boil.

Last Minute
30-08-2011, 09:55 AM
Is he not playing this Sunday for Ian Murray's game? if not he should be.

Great wee player for us

Pretty Boy
30-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Nikolaidis. When he was in the mood he was genuinely world class and played a big part in Greeces triumph at Euro 2004.

What people seem to forget is that AEK team won the Greek league that year and the very next season were unbeaten in a Champions League group that had Inter Milan in it. They drew all 6 games and were eliminated by a single point.

The player i most remember inspiring Hibs that night was John O'Neill, when Sauzee and O'Neill went off we began to fall apart which was a shame because the way we played for about 95 minutes we deserved to go through.

JimBHibees
30-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Nikolaidis. When he was in the mood he was genuinely world class and played a big part in Greeces triumph at Euro 2004.

What people seem to forget is that AEK team won the Greek league that year and the very next season were unbeaten in a Champions League group that had Inter Milan in it. They drew all 6 games and were eliminated by a single point.

The player i most remember inspiring Hibs that night was John O'Neill, when Sauzee and O'Neill went off we began to fall apart which was a shame because the way we played for about 95 minutes we deserved to go through.

I think their Number 10 was Tsartas, he came off the bench in the second leg and changed the game, scoring and setting up their goals.

eastmainsmsh
30-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Luna joined from Monterrey in Mexico :aok:

frazeHFC
30-08-2011, 07:44 PM
I think their Number 10 was Tsartas, he came off the bench in the second leg and changed the game, scoring and setting up their goals.

:agree: Vasilis Tsatas came on and won the game for them. Never seen someone so confident on the ball.