PDA

View Full Version : NHC Scotland really shake them up, win World Cup (good news content)

(((Fergus)))
29-08-2011, 11:43 AM
Ally's Tartan Army won the World Cup yesterday.

The stars of our national homeless team - coached by former Rangers defender Ally Dawson - scored a stunning 4-3 win over Mexico in the final of the Homeless World Cup.

And after the worst week in living memory for our national game, with the Old Firm and Hearts all humbled in Europe, the lads' victory proved that Scots still know how to win.

The victory came 33 years after Scotland manager Ally McLeod infamously predicted we'd lift the World Cup in Argentina - only for his team to crash out at the group stage.

But there was no such embarrassment for the homeless lads as they showed their class in Paris.

Proud Ally Dawson said: "I am absolutely delighted for the whole team, every one of them performed to the best of their ability and they got what they deserved.

"It's a great day for these lads. They have done their country proud. They've all been through a lot in their lives and I hope they go on from this to achieve more success."

Each of the eight-man squad is currently homeless, or has been in the last two years.
Scotland win the homeless world cup Image 2

Our boys inflicted a 7-0 drubbing on Romania, beat Germany 15-2, and got past Poland in a 9-8 thriller before a 5-3 victory in the semi-final against Kenya set up the showdown with Mexico.

Team member Robert Hare, 40, from Glasgow, who once played for Dundee United, said: "I was very low when I found myself on the streets. To compete in a World Cup is a dream come true.

"And I've been offered a job back home. I'm getting back on track."

First Minister Alex Salmond sent his "heartfelt congratulations" to the team. Scotland also lifted the Homeless World Cup in 2007.

Scotland Squad: James Horsburgh, William McLean, William Lawrence, Barry Gannon, Robert Hare, Sean Lawrence, William Hamilton, Matthew Ramsay

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/dailyrecord3/aug2011/7/8/scotland-win-the-homeless-world-cup-image-1-180959730.jpg http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/dailyrecord3/aug2011/4/9/scotland-win-the-homeless-world-cup-image-2-489120435.jpg