PDA

View Full Version : Thornhill v Scott

MB62
29-08-2011, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't play both these guys in the same team, therefore it has to be one or the other.

I have not seen a lot of Scott, and what I have seen of Thornhill leaves me wondering why the guy ever gets a game as he contributes very little.

Thornhill - Was meant to be a 'box to box' player, I reckon he needs a taxi to help do that job. Needs too much time on the ball. Really don't have anything I can think of that's a positive for him. Possibly arrange a few friendly games at East Mains and try hime at Right back to release Towell in to the midfield.

Scott - Maybe not the best fitba player but the guy has plenty energy and never hides. Gets himself forward too and can score goals, as he did on Tuesday. If I was him I would be kicking C.C's door down asking what he has to do to get a game.

Mikey
29-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I was surprised to see Thornhill in ahead of Scott yesterday. Same could be said of Murray and Palsson.

Aldo
29-08-2011, 11:02 AM
Time for Scott to be given his chance alongside Pallsson in the MF.

I would also drop Sproule cos he has offered nowt as well.

Do we play Pallsson Osbourne and Scott in the middle with Griffiths Agogo/Sodje and GOC up front or

Scott Pallsson Osbourne and Galbraith (left foot/left MF)

TBH look at Man Cith yesterday (and yes I do know they have quality players) but 2 holding MF players.

IS that Pallsson and Osbourne and play 4 forward thinking players

CC really needs to start thinking about how the team is shaped and balanced cos if not we are the whipping boys every week.

I dont want him to be sacked cos we need stability but TBH he deserves to go cos of his record, which is woeful.

MB62
29-08-2011, 11:14 AM
I was surprised to see Thornhill in ahead of Scott yesterday. Same could be said of Murray and Palsson.

Agree with that too Mikey.
I think Murray could work at left back if Booth was moved to a wide left midfield role. I've been saying for a year now that I don't think Callum is a left back and recent games have only confirmed that opinion to me. However, he could be a good foil for the ageing Murray there and a young lad, should be able to get up and down that left flank (although he blowing out his backside for most of the 2nd half yesterday)
Palsson as the one holding midfield player with Scott and Osbourne the other two. Another problem is, we are seriously lacking any creativity in the midfield and none of the guys mentioned look as though they could be the answer there.
Back to the original point though and it would be Scott over Thornhill every time for me.

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Scott in the second round!

Beefster
29-08-2011, 11:19 AM
I had high hopes for Thornhill this season and thought he played very well against Celtic (compared with the rest). Since then, he's been the biggest disappointment in a month of disappointments.

MB62
29-08-2011, 12:32 PM
I had high hopes for Thornhill this season and thought he played very well against Celtic (compared with the rest). Since then, he's been the biggest disappointment in a month of disappointments.

Again, agree with all you said there.

Albion Hibs
29-08-2011, 12:45 PM
A lot of people seem to be saying Booth is now not a left back, despite the fact we have seen him in a handful of games, relitively speaking, and he has spent his entire life to this point, and all his time at hibs playing in that position...seems a bit silly that we are the masters of that. I have given him a pretty ruff time since killie, and he probably deserves it, but he is young and a drop in form like this is in no way uncommon. He probably needs the bench for a bit, the biggest killer is of course the idiot that decided we would no longer have a reserve league - farce.

On the OP, I would have been tempted to play scott in front of Thornhill, specially when he was moved wider. I have no doubt that Thornhill may be a good player but he has done nothing to show that yet. Pretty much the same as the shout for Palsson is midfield, where he put in about two challanges and the last game I remember him playing is when he got the biggest lesson I have seen a CM get from Goodwin.

In any event Palsson may now get a chance at CM as I think that either Murray or Stevenson is going to have to go to left back, whether that is to drop Booth for a bit, or to move him to left midfield.

KiddA
29-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Probably go with Scott as Thornhill has shown us nothing and like you say at least Scott has a lot of energy

calumb
29-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Agree with that too Mikey.
I think Murray could work at left back if Booth was moved to a wide left midfield role. I've been saying for a year now that I don't think Callum is a left back and recent games have only confirmed that opinion to me. However, he could be a good foil for the ageing Murray there and a young lad, should be able to get up and down that left flank (although he blowing out his backside for most of the 2nd half yesterday)
Palsson as the one holding midfield player with Scott and Osbourne the other two. Another problem is, we are seriously lacking any creativity in the midfield and none of the guys mentioned look as though they could be the answer there.
Back to the original point though and it would be Scott over Thornhill every time for me.

Agree with Booth being moved to left mid with murray or stevenson behind him, think it would balance the
left side up nicely. From yesterdays showing the right side is ok as for the first 20 mins the yams targeted
Towell but he held up well possibly due to better support from Ivan.
A holding midfielder is a must a both goals yesterday were pretty much identical with the defense being pushed back to the by line and no one picking up the late runner into the box, i really hope cc shows the video of the goals to Osbourne and asks him why he let them run past him for a free shot at goals and ask him to remove the concrete from his boots.
I would maybe play palsson and scott together in the centre, with palsson protecting the back 4 and telling scott
to go box to box, it may lack creativity in the middle but we could get that from Booth and ivan on the wings, and
it may prevent the cheap goals we are handing out to everyone.

gringojoe
29-08-2011, 02:18 PM
AAgree with Booth being moved to left mid with murray or stevenson behind him, think it would balance the
left side up nicely.

IMHO opinion Murray and Stevenson should never even be considered for starting positions in the team, Murray is to slow and Stevenson is to wee to play full back (that and he's crap).
Scott Smith with Booth in front of him appeals more but lack of experience will be a drawback.

HFC 0-7
29-08-2011, 02:29 PM
A lot of people seem to be saying Booth is now not a left back, despite the fact we have seen him in a handful of games, relitively speaking, and he has spent his entire life to this point, and all his time at hibs playing in that position...seems a bit silly that we are the masters of that. I have given him a pretty ruff time since killie, and he probably deserves it, but he is young and a drop in form like this is in no way uncommon. He probably needs the bench for a bit, the biggest killer is of course the idiot that decided we would no longer have a reserve league - farce.

On the OP, I would have been tempted to play scott in front of Thornhill, specially when he was moved wider. I have no doubt that Thornhill may be a good player but he has done nothing to show that yet. Pretty much the same as the shout for Palsson is midfield, where he put in about two challanges and the last game I remember him playing is when he got the biggest lesson I have seen a CM get from Goodwin.

In any event Palsson may now get a chance at CM as I think that either Murray or Stevenson is going to have to go to left back, whether that is to drop Booth for a bit, or to move him to left midfield.

I would love for Booth to be dropped for a few games, I think young players need to be rested regardless as an error in a high profile game can really set them back. The problem at Hibs however, is that we dont have any cover. Ian Murray and Left back? no thanks Booth got done by pace a couple of times in the derby and against Killie so wouldnt fancy Murray in there. I suppose moving booth into left midfield would take the pressure off a bit in terms of making an errors doesnt likely mean conceeding. Last thing a young player needs though is the fans on his back.

calumb
29-08-2011, 02:31 PM
IMHO opinion Murray and Stevenson should never even be considered for starting positions in the team, Murray is to slow and Stevenson is to wee to play full back (that and he's crap).
Scott Smith with Booth in front of him appeals more but lack of experience will be a drawback.

Murray might be a bit slow but he is experienced and would not get turned as easily as Booth, dont see what
Stevensons height has got to do with anything, towell is hardly huge and he does ok. maybe stevenson is not cut out to stamp any authority on a midfield but he is a good football player and i am sure he could still do a job at
fullback.

Albion Hibs
29-08-2011, 06:25 PM
I would love for Booth to be dropped for a few games, I think young players need to be rested regardless as an error in a high profile game can really set them back. The problem at Hibs however, is that we dont have any cover. Ian Murray and Left back? no thanks Booth got done by pace a couple of times in the derby and against Killie so wouldnt fancy Murray in there. I suppose moving booth into left midfield would take the pressure off a bit in terms of making an errors doesnt likely mean conceeding. Last thing a young player needs though is the fans on his back.

Dont agree. I dont recall that many of booth's issues or goal disasters coming from pace, more his position sense / awareness, coupled with the fact he cant head a ball with the confidence needed.

Would agree with the last bit. However, he will have to get used that at some stage if he is going to play for Hibs, but think now is not the time. Again the lack of a reserve league is damaging younger players in all teams throughout the league.

HFC 0-7
29-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Dont agree. I dont recall that many of booth's issues or goal disasters coming from pace, more his position sense / awareness, coupled with the fact he cant head a ball with the confidence needed.

Would agree with the last bit. However, he will have to get used that at some stage if he is going to play for Hibs, but think now is not the time. Again the lack of a reserve league is damaging younger players in all teams throughout the league.

Pace was maybe the wrong wording, he got beat by quick feet, sold dummies etc. Murray would definately struggle with that, he would get booked early in just about every game in that position as well. If Murray was left back in the Killie game, we would have seen their winger going past more than against Booth.

Albion Hibs
29-08-2011, 07:02 PM
Pace was maybe the wrong wording, he got beat by quick feet, sold dummies etc. Murray would definately struggle with that, he would get booked early in just about every game in that position as well. If Murray was left back in the Killie game, we would have seen their winger going past more than against Booth.

I think it is pretty impossible to say that, in most instances putting the player out of the park rather than dancing to his tune may have saved us point, the header in the St Mirren game was unlikely to have been the same result, or the pass in the hearts game. Booth is a young lad, I would expect him to make mistakes, he is making more than a few just now and in reality he is probably suffering more than us as a result. But when murray last played left back for us was the season we finished 4th in the league.

I am not saying that putting him there will not mean the same, but I do think what is made on here of "his legs", "past it" and all that nonsense is way off the mark. He did not look short of pace in the 93rd minute at ICT and in all of our league games since I would take a bet on him covering more ground that most other players in the team.

Fact of the matter is teams are picking on booth, it started at Killie and has continued since, as I thought it would at the time. I think Murray is a possible solution to that. Putting murray at LB and booth at LM is something we tried last year, I dont see why we cant do it again, if not just to give booth some freedom to get forward and get back some confidence to help him push on.

Monkey Harris
29-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Martin"****ing mental" Scott all day long, put' in a shift & packs a punch.

DH1875
29-08-2011, 07:50 PM
If it was up to me I wouldn't have Thornhill or Scott in my starting 11. Really disappointed in Thornhill though. Thought when he signed we'd got a good one.

MB62
30-08-2011, 02:47 PM

The difference here though is, Murray would have natural cover with Booth playing the left midfield role. Callum has suffered because generally, he is left to do the whole left side defebding on his own. Neither Wotherspoon or Thornhill, who have both played that left mid role, gave the laddie much help at all. This is more about a balance in the team than he is better than him arguement.