PDA

View Full Version : Midfield

bathhibby
29-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Why was Scott and Palson not on from the start to put a bit of bite into the midfield after all we knew it was not going to be a game of silky football - poor selection from CC

Saorsa
29-08-2011, 06:37 AM
Why was Scott and Palson not on from the start to put a bit of bite into the midfield after all we knew it was not going to be a game of silky football - poor selection from CCagain

EasterRoad4Ever
29-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Why was Scott and Palson not on from the start to put a bit of bite into the midfield after all we knew it was not going to be a game of silky football - poor selection from CC

Because Calderwood is working his way out of ER. Scott scores 2 great goals in midweek and appeared to be flying trying to redeem himself, while Palsson was the best player on show in midweek spraying great passes around the field and strolling through the match.

When Clueless Colin gets sacked in the next few weeks - 100% inevitable - Petrie will have to go with him. Both are bringing the club into disrepute. The only good thing that came out of yesterday is this mornings press headlines. Finally the journos and sub-eds have woken up to Clueless Colin's woeful record, inept tactics, and criminal management of our great club.

IanM
29-08-2011, 07:01 AM

i was going to start this exact thread.. CC is clueless when it comes to team selection.. was he not at the Berwick game?

Don Giovanni
29-08-2011, 07:27 AM
I posted on another thread that CC should get until October to improve things but actually if he starts Thornhill in the next game he should probably just go. The guy has contributed nothing (i dont know whether thats lack of form or talent) but its the one area of the park in which we have options. CC needs to start making some wise decisions in terms of team selection and tactics sharp-ish.

down the slope
29-08-2011, 07:37 AM
Why do we need a midfield ?, the ball is hoofed over their heads at every opportunity , absolute murder to see our team play like that and has been from day one of his tenure. There has been not a jot of progress in ten months , get him out and the rest of the muppets that put him there before they ruin our club.

Northernhibee
29-08-2011, 07:58 AM
I don't see how we need one now.

Let's play a 5-0-5 and let CC play all the hoofball he wants us to.

Golden Bear
29-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Why do we need a midfield ?, the ball is hoofed over their heads at every opportunity , absolute murder to see our team play like that and has been from day one of his tenure. There has been not a jot of progress in ten months , get him out and the rest of the muppets that put him there before they ruin our club.

:agree:

That's exactly the way I feel. As a Hibs supporter I'm well used to my team getting beat but its the manner of the defeats under CC that is totally unacceptable.

NORTHERNHIBBY
29-08-2011, 08:22 AM
In reality though. yesterday we had two players getting introduced to this seasons' team for the first time, in Towell and Griffiths. We have another two in Osbourne and Agogo who are painfully short of first team fitness and match sharpness and Sodje just back from injury and needing games. What we really need is pre-season now. What I would do with the whole team is get them on Garry O'Connor's fitness programme. He has turned himself around. Before the window shuts, we should look to shift both EDG and Thornhill. Both great players on paper, but we play on grass.

Northernhibee
29-08-2011, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't be so bothered if everything about CC's tactics after going a goal down didn't amount to "hoof it harder" - removing the shape from the team, standing with his armed folded on the touchline whilst watching hoof after hoof after hoof come back down the park towards our defence - the man is a ****ing idiot.

We needed more fight in midfield - it was blatant. Martin Scott was brought on far too late, but even still the tactic was still to hoof it - embarrasing stuff.

I love this club too much to not get angry about this, I really want CC out of the club now and told to hang his head in shame.

BarneyK
29-08-2011, 08:54 AM
My take on it is that both Scott and Palsson are a good shout to get sent off in any given match, never mind a derby. With regards the tactics themselves, I don't really believe that they were sent out there to hoof the ball, it just so happens that they they lack what CC referred to as "backbone". Not one player stood up to the plate, not one player - as far as I'm concerned - showed any balls. It takes guts to try to pass your way through a congested midfield, instead they took the easy way out of hoofing the ball. The problem is not, I think, with their ability or their stamina, but with their mindset, there is no confidence there, no one prepared to take the game to the opposition. It's all hopeful rather than measured.

That said, CC isn't blameless. St Mirren don't have great players or a great budget, but they play the game the right way. Killie don't have great players or a great budget, but they play the game the right way. Motherwell don't have great players or a great budget, but they're sitting joint top of the table today. The passing needs to be drilled into them. He needs to work them on taking the ball in tight spaces and retaining it. And he needs to sort out that defence. Not just the defenders either. Ozzy was an absolute spectator at their first goal.

Still hopeful, but still raging at their collective cowardice yesterday.

greenlex
29-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't see how we need one now.Let's play a 5-0-5 and let CC play all the hoofball he wants us to. Calderwood said in his post match interview that we didnt deserve a break with our long game. We needed to be compact and passing the ball. Do you think he says one thing to the press and another to the players?

Northernhibee
29-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Calderwood said in his post match interview that we didnt deserve a break with our long game. We needed to be compact and passing the ball. Do you think he says one thing to the press and another to the players?

Giving up any shape with the Griffiths/Sodje substitutions on was nothing more than adding two more players to hoof the ball to, as opposed to bolstering the midfield to play a 'compact passing game'.

The man is either ****ing clueless or saying a different thing to the press than the players. One of the two. The mouth is saying 'passing' but the tactics and mannerisms are screaming "HOOF"

J-C
29-08-2011, 09:20 AM
It's pretty obvious the game he wants to play, 4-5 strikers and 4-5 big defensive midfielders = hoofball.

No creativity and no sign of a creative midfielder coming anywhere near our club, as far as I'm concerned he's had his chance, done SFA and he and Petrie should both go ASAP before we're relegated.

down the slope
29-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Calderwood said in his post match interview that we didnt deserve a break with our long game. We needed to be compact and passing the ball. Do you think he says one thing to the press and another to the players?

Eh, is it not his job to see that we play the passing game ?. his team now, his game plan, no excuse !.

AlbertK86
29-08-2011, 09:41 AM
We can't even get the hoofball right ! Hanlon in particular ... Every time he hoofed it it went nowhere near any of our players. That was when he managed to connect with the ball !

smurf
29-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Osbourne isn't match fit but was selected ahead of Palsson... then CC cites his own selection as an excuse for defeat...

BarneyK
29-08-2011, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE=jc1;2902271]It's pretty obvious the game he wants to play, 4-5 strikers and 4-5 big defensive midfielders = hoofball.

You'd rather we didn't have 4-5 strikers in the squad? :dunno: And as for the big midfielders, is this not something that every one of us has been crying out for the last couple of years? Aye, ok, we don't have a Zemmama, we don't have an Eremenko. Then again, who does in this league? I suppose the yams have Ian Black...

BarneyK
29-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Osbourne isn't match fit but was selected ahead of Palsson... then CC cites his own selection as an excuse for defeat...

His interviews are a bit bizarre. Then again, at least he never hides from a bad performance. He just never quite explains it away to any great satisfaction. Talk is cheap at the end of the day, they need to start doing their talking on the pitch.

Aldo
29-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Wot midfield.......

No doubting Osbourne is a player however is not match fit.......

Thornhill....been very very disappointed in this lad and expected better TBH

Murray...sorry his commitment is never in doubt but his legs and ability are....spent the whole game chasing heels.

Sproule...sorry once again...brought nothing to the game and is a one trick pony whose delivery yesterday was very poor when there were guys in the box...but hit the 1st defender everytime....poor.

We need BALANCE and its clear we dont have that.

GOC was isolated time and time again and his best work, with Junior was don too far out. Pallsson and Scott deserve a chance in the next game.

Lets get back to a 4 4 2 and become hard to beat 1st and foremost and then concentrate on going forward.

A poor MF puts more pressure on the back 4 and that showed yesterday. We had no MF.

CC is paid to make these decisions and select a team and should things not be going well he is the man who has to change it around. On paper we have players as good as any outwith the OF however we need them to play as a team and not individuals.

nickwhibs
29-08-2011, 11:16 AM
I agree with a lot of the comments re getting our tactics wrong. We played right into hearts' hands yesterday by not passing the ball and by lupming it aimlessly forward. Basically we let them bully us and we panicked by taking the easy option and not trying to keep hold of the ball. I can't remember the amount of times we gave the ball straight back to them when they put us under any kind of pressure. The teams that are most succesful against hearts are the ones who pass it about, stretch the game and play football. We're by no means Tottenham but we're certainly as good (on paper!) as the likes of Killie and Motherwell. We let it turn into a game of percentage football which that hearts team will always win. I'm fed up of the *****e players like Black, Hamill etc getting the better of us. Play football against these guys and we will win, let it go into a scrap and they will. I really hope we get things sorted by the next derby because it's about time we beat that second rate hearts team.