PDA

View Full Version : The ref today

woody47
28-08-2011, 08:13 PM
I know I am looking through green tinted specs but how bad was this clown - YET AGAIN.
Looking at the BBC stats we had 15 douls and 5 bookings. They had 20 fouls and 1 booking!!!!!
Whilst I accept O'Connors was a booking the others were dubious considering what he let the ****bos away with.
What makes it worse is when he gives that smirk after booking our players or letting them away with murder.
Absolutely detest the excuse of a man and is a complete waste of fresh air.

Torres
28-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Let's not get into blaming the ref :confused:

We started the game competing but once they got the first goal we all knew what was going to happen. Some of the tackles were blatant yellow cards. I was drinking before and throughout the game but I cannot remember a foul which definitely merited a yellow card from them apart from Stevenson (Could have possibly been worse) yet we definitely deserved a few. O'Connor wa sa full 1/2 seconds late after their man had played the ball for his.

ac1
I know I am looking through green tinted specs but how bad was this clown - YET AGAIN.
Looking at the BBC stats we had 15 douls and 5 bookings. They had 20 fouls and 1 booking!!!!!
Whilst I accept O'Connors was a booking the others were dubious considering what he let the ****bos away with.
What makes it worse is when he gives that smirk after booking our players or letting them away with murder.
Absolutely detest the excuse of a man and is a complete waste of fresh air.

No fan of his myself mate but I actually thought we might have got away with a couple of cards - Griffiths on another day could have been a red card, Sproule had a couple of late ones after his booking - Stevenson for them might have had a red card to I suppose.

Dont think we can blame the ref today I think we need to look at ourselves first!

Sas_The_Hibby
Should have sent Stevenson off first half, then should have given him a second yellow in the second half.

Howver, I thought some of our players almost looked as if they wanted to be sent off second half, with reckless challenges: Murray and Griffiths in particular.

All made no difference whatsoever to the result, anyway, as Hearts were so very ordinary and we were so very much worse. Hearts on easy street again, thanks to us. I also suspect this will give them the perk they need to now go on a useful run, which we seem to help them out with every single season.....

Hibbyradge
28-08-2011, 08:20 PM
The ref was fine.

Hibs were pish.

Del Boy
28-08-2011, 08:22 PM
ref wasn't too bad, could have sent off Stevenson but equally so Griffiths.

Hibbyradge
28-08-2011, 08:22 PM
Should have sent Stevenson off first half, then should have given him a second yellow in the second half.

:hilarious

I think your understanding of football's disciplne rules needs a bit of work. :greengrin

Hibs Class
28-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Funniest thing was when the ball went out for a throw in to us but he waved play on. I assumed he reckoned it was offside and thought he could let play flow but it just made him look daft.

Sas_The_Hibby
28-08-2011, 08:49 PM
:hilarious

I think your understanding of football's disciplne rules needs a bit of work. :greengrin

:greengrin:agree:

Well you know what I meant! :wink:

Dinkydoo
28-08-2011, 08:53 PM
Funniest thing was when the ball went out for a throw in to us but he waved play on. I assumed he reckoned it was offside and thought he could let play flow but it just made him look daft.

Even funnier when every player on the pitch gave him that 'wtf, was that not a throw in' look, and you could see him slowly realise and point to the sideline.

Hibbyradge
28-08-2011, 08:58 PM
:greengrin:agree:

Well you know what I meant! :wink:

Aye. Stevenson should have been sent off for excessive tattoos, then booked several times for good measure! :greengrin

nickwhibs
28-08-2011, 09:27 PM
What about when Agogo challenged the keeper (fairly imo) and took a shot which was saved by Webster but he gave a free kick to hearts. Should have been a pen to Hibs and sent off Webster - massive moment in the game.

Albion Hibs
28-08-2011, 09:35 PM
I thought the ref was poor, I dont think any of the cards were really merited, which the exception of O'Connors and maybe Griffiths (to suggest it could have been a red is nothing short of a farce). Stevenson seemed to persistantly foul both before and after his yellow and I have no doubt that is why the elected to take him off.

The ref set out his stall pretty early booking Ivan for a nothing foul, but we never get anything from the ref there so I am not surprised.

givescotlandfreedom
28-08-2011, 09:51 PM
It's an annoyance of mine that just because at times we're crap sonehow excuses the incomptence of the officials. Thompson and co were shocking too.

oconnors_strip
28-08-2011, 09:57 PM
What about when Agogo challenged the keeper (fairly imo) and took a shot which was saved by Webster but he gave a free kick to hearts. Should have been a pen to Hibs and sent off Webster - massive moment in the game.

thats exactly what my jambo boyfriend texted me at half time.

i thought the referee was very poor today for both teams

Tyler Durden
28-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Having just watched it again, Thomson's decision to give a free kick against Hanlon/O'Hanlon for fouling Kello right on HT looks unbelievably harsh. Both Hibs players have eyes only for the ball and it's typical generous refereeing for any contact with goalies (excepting Hibs of course). That would have made all the difference.

Stevenson could easily have seen red but then so could O'Connor.

Also completely unsurprised that the ESPN team criticised the ref for not sending 2/3 players off. In a month or two they'll be praising him or another ref for relaxing the rules in an Old Firm game - no doubt saying it's a "common sense" approach.

chrisski33
28-08-2011, 10:08 PM
I know I am looking through green tinted specs but how bad was this clown - YET AGAIN.Looking at the BBC stats we had 15 douls and 5 bookings. They had 20 fouls and 1 booking!!!!! Whilst I accept O'Connors was a booking the others were dubious considering what he let the ****bos away with. What makes it worse is when he gives that smirk after booking our players or letting them away with murder.Absolutely detest the excuse of a man and is a complete waste of fresh air. thats right it was the refs fault! Ffs

LancashireHibby
28-08-2011, 10:13 PM
Can't say I even noticed the referee. If we went to stop getting bookings then stop trying to dive in with stupid tackles in some vain attempt to show any sort of pride in the shirt.

Gala Foxes
28-08-2011, 10:18 PM
there are a few refs that would have given O'Connor a straight red for his swing at Hamill

Griffiths challenge was stupid, to commit a needless challenge in an area of the field where we were under no threat was pointless

Good to see Hamill go up in the air though

Leith_Hibee
28-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Having just watched it again, Thomson's decision to give a free kick against Hanlon/O'Hanlon for fouling Kello right on HT looks unbelievably harsh. Both Hibs players have eyes only for the ball and it's typical generous refereeing for any contact with goalies (excepting Hibs of course). That would have made all the difference.

Stevenson could easily have seen red but then so could O'Connor.

Also completely unsurprised that the ESPN team criticised the ref for not sending 2/3 players off. In a month or two they'll be praising him or another ref for relaxing the rules in an Old Firm game - no doubt saying it's a "common sense" approach.

I hate to say it but the keeper was fouled. Cant remember which one but their arm was across the keeper. That comes from someone who plays junior fitba and hates refs!! Spot on in my opinion. Men against boys today.......it frustrates me that we keep pumping balls down Webster throat, that's all he can do!! He heads the ball for fun, get him turning FFS.

Ozzie looked way off the pace, hopefully he gets better with games but early signs aren't good.

7 Hills
28-08-2011, 10:52 PM
No fan of his myself mate but I actually thought we might have got away with a couple of cards - Griffiths on another day could have been a red card, Sproule had a couple of late ones after his booking - Stevenson for them might have had a red card to I suppose.

Dont think we can blame the ref today I think we need to look at ourselves first!

Griffiths shouldn't even have got a yellow! The Jambo hurdled him, the only contact was the Jambo kicking Griffiths' arm!

HibsMax
28-08-2011, 10:55 PM

We started the game competing but once they got the first goal we all knew what was going to happen. Some of the tackles were blatant yellow cards. I was drinking before and throughout the game but I cannot remember a foul which definitely merited a yellow card from them apart from Stevenson (Could have possibly been worse) yet we definitely deserved a few. O'Connor wa sa full 1/2 seconds late after their man had played the ball for his.

The OP didn't blame the ref for anything. Just said the ref had a bit of a howler and while I don't for a second think that affected the outcome today, it doesn't excuse some of his decisions.

LancashireHibby
28-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Griffiths shouldn't even have got a yellow! The Jambo hurdled him, the only contact was the Jambo kicking Griffiths' arm!

Still should have showed more discipline than steaming in with a late challenge, regardless of whether there was much contact or not.

ac1
28-08-2011, 11:40 PM

We all have opinions i suppose but to me it was two footed off the ground with studs showing. Probably a yellow which he received but as I said I have seen players getting a red for the same type of challenge.

Monkey Harris
29-08-2011, 12:29 AM
Stevenson got no where near the ball, right in front of the ref. One of the worst challenges seen. The ball kept traveling a forward direction, not even a glancing touch on the ball. And why book Sodje??????? We were dire, but that does not excuse the ref, he had a shocker.

matty_f
29-08-2011, 12:33 AM
It's an annoyance of mine that just because at times we're crap sonehow excuses the incomptence of the officials. Thompson and co were shocking too.

:agree: Totally agree. The ref was as incompetent as we were, and that's saying something!

PaulSmith
29-08-2011, 12:59 AM
we're lucky that O'Connor and Griffiths weren't red cards, they should've been

The_Famous_HFC
29-08-2011, 09:36 AM
What about when Agogo challenged the keeper (fairly imo) and took a shot which was saved by Webster but he gave a free kick to hearts. Should have been a pen to Hibs and sent off Webster - massive moment in the game. The whistle had already blew for a Hearts free kick before webster "saved" it. Game could easily have ended with Stevenson, Sproule and O'Connor all seeing reds. Out would have been harsh to send off Griffiths as he never actually touched the player.

Aldo
29-08-2011, 11:10 AM
Here we go...gonnae stick my neck out here (tin hat at the ready)

But I thought Thompson had a good game yesterday...the players let themselves down and Yes there were some bad decision (like there will be in every game) he go the big one right TBH.

Griffiths deserved to walk after only 3 minutes regardless of wot you think...woeful challenge possibly the same with GOC
Stevenson as well but we brought it upon ourselves.

Keepers in this day and age are more and likely going to get the decision in their favour.

We played right into their hands with a poor showing which lacked commitment and effort IMHO. Lets not go blaming the ref for
players stupidity.

truehibernian
29-08-2011, 11:19 AM

But I thought Thompson had a good game yesterday...the players let themselves down and Yes there were some bad decision (like there will be in every game) he go the big one right TBH.

Griffiths deserved to walk after only 3 minutes regardless of wot you think...woeful challenge possibly the same with GOC

Keepers in this day and age are more and likely going to get the decision in their favour.

We played right into their hands with a poor showing which lacked commitment and effort IMHO. Lets not go blaming the ref for
players stupidity.

Totally agree.

For us, Ivan was extremely lucky not to walk at 0-0. Stevenson for them equally so. Black on Murray could have been a straight red, but Griffiths, Murray and GOC could have earned reds if the ref applied to letter of the law. I thought he let the game flow as much as he could. The contentious one for me was the Agogo shot after the 'challenge' on Kello which I thought was fair.

Whatever ref it was you cannot hide from the fact Hibs are a really really poor football side. Hearts could have buried us but didn't. The just won with ease. And it's all too common. As Mickey Weir says today, you have to start questioning the mentality of the players now when it comes to not rising to the occasion. We play with fear of getting beat, they play knowing they can win. That's the key for me. There is no 'arrogance' in our side, no spark, no composure and guile. Just dull, side to side, slow, cumbersome football. Even keeping the ball for three passes proves beyond them.

Oh for the 'ole' Ibrox and Tynie days when they were the ones chasing shadows.

nickwhibs
29-08-2011, 11:20 AM
The whistle had already blew for a Hearts free kick before webster "saved" it. Game could easily have ended with Stevenson, Sproule and O'Connor all seeing reds. Out would have been harsh to send off Griffiths as he never actually touched the player.

Yeah but it wasn't a free kick in the first place. Plus the whistle actually blew after the incident. After which Thompson gave Webster a wee wink and a pat.

The_Famous_HFC
29-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Yeah but it wasn't a free kick in the first place. Plus the whistle actually blew after the incident. After which Thompson gave Webster a wee wink and a pat. The whistle blew before Webster handled it. Sorry but this is a fact. It was a soft free kick but keepers always get those decisions.

greenlex
29-08-2011, 11:39 AM
we're lucky that O'Connor and Griffiths weren't red cards, they should've been
Spot on. Ivan too. At the time I thought it was harsh but having seen it from a difeerent angle he couldnt have complained had it been red.

nickwhibs
29-08-2011, 11:40 AM
The whistle blew before Webster handled it. Sorry but this is a fact. It was a soft free kick but keepers always get those decisions.

I thought differently - maybe it was just the sound where I was - but there must've been a split-second in it. Yeah keepers will always get those decisions when Thompson is the ref

twiceinathens
29-08-2011, 11:47 AM

Good analysis. I can be as green visioned as the next man but O'connor and particularly Griffiths were very lucky to stay on the park. For the Griffiths defenders what would you have said if the tackle had been on Griffiths rather than by Griffiths?

woody47
29-08-2011, 05:00 PM
thats right it was the refs fault! Ffs

WTF you slavering about????/ Where did I say it was the refs fault? If you are going to make a comment at least have the decency to read the post first. I was commenting on how bad the ref was - nothing more nothing less. :bye:

BEEJ
29-08-2011, 07:56 PM
The whistle blew before Webster handled it. Sorry but this is a fact. It was a soft free kick but keepers always get those decisions.
I recall Maka didn't get the decision in his favour at Rugby Park a couple of seasons ago. :wink:

duffers
29-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Another one that annoyed me was akpos challenge on Kello. How was that a booking? There was quite clearly no intent and to me, it was a 50/50 challenge

son of haggart
29-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Another one that annoyed me was akpos challenge on Kello. How was that a booking? There was quite clearly no intent and to me, it was a 50/50 challenge

http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/javaImages/f/af/0,,10289~9940751,00.gif

Feet high against a keeper will always get you in trouble

Twa Cairpets
30-08-2011, 08:12 AM

Law 12, Interpretation for referees (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/28/interpretation_law12_en.pdf) Reckless challenge - "acting with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent. A player who acts in a reckless manner must be cautioned"

I think it would be fair to say that having your studs 6 feet off the ground as the keeper is coming towards you without being aware of where he is would by that definition count as reckless. Referee was spot on.

Josh 01
30-08-2011, 08:22 AM
http://www.heartsfc.co.uk/javaImages/f/af/0,,10289~9940751,00.gif

Feet high against a keeper will always get you in trouble

Never kicked him hard enough

JimBHibees
30-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Spot on. Ivan too. At the time I thought it was harsh but having seen it from a difeerent angle he couldnt have complained had it been red.

I agree having seen it again Ivan's was a very poor challenge. Thought our discipline in the second half was laughable to be honest. Griffiths was complete stupidity lunging in like that with no chance of getting the ball.

Stevenson should have walked also in what was the worst tackle of the game.

brog
30-08-2011, 11:44 AM

players stupidity.

I didn't see all the game so can't comment on every incident - however for anyone ( not this poster ) to suggest Ivan should have walked is crazy. His first foul was a fractionally mistimed tackle for which he was rightly booked. His 2nd "foul" resulted from the Yam running into him while Ivan was stationary with his hands in the air. Contrast this with Stevenson's which was IMO the perfect illustration of a red card tackle. Look at Stevenson's reaction, he expects to be sent off. By neglecting his duty here the ref effectively lost control. If Stevenson had been sent off I doubt the GOC or Griffiths incidents would have occurred. I think Craig T is one of our better refs ( damned with faint praise I know ) but I don't think Sunday was his finest moment.

Mikeystewart
30-08-2011, 03:23 PM
I thought we were lucky on several occasions, thought Murray and sparky should have gone, I would say we have nothing to complain about, agree with what an earlier post said about them have only the odd foul but rarely anything that merited a yellow card. Very lucky the game ended with hibs having 11 men.

brog
31-08-2011, 09:11 AM
Law 12, Interpretation for referees (http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/worldfootball/clubfootball/01/37/04/28/interpretation_law12_en.pdf) Reckless challenge - "acting with complete disregard to the danger to, or consequences for, his opponent. A player who acts in a reckless manner must be cautioned"

I think it would be fair to say that having your studs 6 feet off the ground as the keeper is coming towards you without being aware of where he is would by that definition count as reckless. Referee was spot on.

I wish Sodje could get his studs 6 feet high but in fact his kick on keeper was lower than Stevensons on Murray after Stevenson had already been booked (& should have been sent off). Having seen highlights now I agree GOC could have gone, Griffiths was stupid but no actual contact but I firmly believe if ref had red carded Stevenson then subsequent bad challenges would not have occurred.
What is it with us? We're the only team I know that take free kicks & throw ins 10 yards back from where they should be & basically accept every crap decision that goes against us without complaint. Now even our posters behave in the same way!! Its very nice to be fairminded but even the greatest teams in the world, see Barca, seek to gain any advantage possible on the park. Us, we roll over & get reamed ( while apologising! ). We need to toughen up, team & Hibs Netters!