PDA

View Full Version : We need defenders!!!!!!!!

GloryGlory
28-08-2011, 06:08 PM
That's all, folks. Please discuss amongst yourselves.

PS Petrie, get it sorted.

fife hfc
28-08-2011, 07:24 PM
That is the problem. We have a very inexperienced back four and since it is a key area of any team that is not a very good situation. Hanlon and Booth are now feeling the pressure of recent results and another experienced centre half should have been the top priority. Hanlon moved to left back and Booth to midfield with two experienced centre halves is the way to go.

Hibbyradge
28-08-2011, 07:35 PM
How long a contract did we give Hanlon?

Sir David Gray
28-08-2011, 07:37 PM
How long a contract did we give Hanlon?

Until the summer of 2016.

Forthview
28-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Hanlon is regularly a liability and massively over-rated I believe. He reminds me of Hughes or Dennis, utterly hopeless and Idon't think I can insult him more than comparing him with those two clowns. Get him out to Brechin or Montrose and learn how to be a centre half.

Pedantic_Hibee
28-08-2011, 07:40 PM
If you ask me, Hanlon and Wotherspoon need to spend a season out on loan to a Division 1/2 club.

fatbloke
28-08-2011, 07:54 PM
That's all, folks. Please discuss amongst yourselves.

PS Petrie, get it sorted.

KIRK BROADFOOT anyone.

truehibernian
28-08-2011, 09:10 PM
Hanlon and Booth = goals ! Boothy is a left midfielder in this league, Hanlon is 1st Division. Anyone that thinks young Paul is the future needs their head examined......starting with Billy Stark !

Jonnyboy
28-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Hanlon had a 'mere as did Booth but is no-one else as worried as me about O'Hanlon? He was talked up on here as being the man to solidify our young defence when in fact he doesn't attack the ball, he gets bossed by a 4'8" midget in the number ten jersey and sin of all sins he lets the ball bounce when he should be clearing it. Wasn't just today either, I've watched him do that in each of the games he's played to date.

Personally I'm more worried about the length of contract he's been given rather than Hanlon.

greenlex
29-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Hanlon had a 'mere as did Booth but is no-one else as worried as me about O'Hanlon? He was talked up on here as being the man to solidify our young defence when in fact he doesn't attack the ball, he gets bossed by a 4'8" midget in the number ten jersey and sin of all sins he lets the ball bounce when he should be clearing it. Wasn't just today either, I've watched him do that in each of the games he's played to date.Personally I'm more worried about the length of contract he's been given rather than Hanlon. Hopefully its just a few games he needs to get up to speed with the game up here. He is a bit slow and he shoud have been all over the midget. I have reservations to.

bingo70
29-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I'm not convinced we need more defenders, i think we need to organise the ones we've got better and CC needs to start managing them in such a way that they stop making stupid individual errors.

Unfortunately watching hearts defenders yesterday they showed exactly how to do it, when the balls lumped up to them they just get rid of it, no fannying about trying we dainty passes or letting the ball bounce, they attack the ball and get rid of it, its their job to keep clean sheets and the other team aren't going to scpre if the balls lumped 40 yards up the park so thats their job done.

SneakersO'Toole
29-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I'm not convinced we need more defenders, i think we need to organise the ones we've got better and CC needs to start managing them in such a way that they stop making stupid individual errors.

Unfortunately watching hearts defenders yesterday they showed exactly how to do it, when the balls lumped up to them they just get rid of it, no fannying about trying we dainty passes or letting the ball bounce, they attack the ball and get rid of it, its their job to keep clean sheets and the other team aren't going to scpre if the balls lumped 40 yards up the park so thats their job done.

I agree with this. Its easy when you are losing to say we need players in this position and that position. We do have good defenders, I just don't think they are being managed or coached very well.

Positional play and man marking should be top of the priority list for work. The number of times we don't track runners or opposition players lose our defenders like they weren't there is scary and clearly contributing to our shocking run of results.

lucky
29-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Hanlon had a 'mere as did Booth but is no-one else as worried as me about O'Hanlon? He was talked up on here as being the man to solidify our young defence when in fact he doesn't attack the ball, he gets bossed by a 4'8" midget in the number ten jersey and sin of all sins he lets the ball bounce when he should be clearing it. Wasn't just today either, I've watched him do that in each of the games he's played to date.

Personally I'm more worried about the length of contract he's been given rather than Hanlon.
Totally disagree. I don't think he was bosses by Elliott yesterday. He has played just over 4 hours of football for Hibs. I think he is a stopper. He will be ok in this league. The defence looked better yesterday compared to the previous week. O Hanlon will be our rock this season Hanlon will continue to be a liability until he matures

frazeHFC
29-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Adam Mitter looks to be signing

Jonnyboy
29-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Totally disagree. I don't think he was bosses by Elliott yesterday. He has played just over 4 hours of football for Hibs. I think he is a stopper. He will be ok in this league. The defence looked better yesterday compared to the previous week. O Hanlon will be our rock this season Hanlon will continue to be a liability until he matures

We'll need to agree to disagree then lucky :agree:

I thought Elliot gave him the runaround TBH

greenlex
29-08-2011, 10:45 PM
We'll need to agree to disagree then lucky :agree:I thought Elliot gave him the runaround TBH I also thoughtvWebsters goal came from his area and him either not being alert and on his toes or a feeble stumble when trying to get there. This may have been what CC was alluding to with the new boys not being match fit.

H18sry
30-08-2011, 09:37 AM
:music:The cry was no defenders:music: :devil:

machibby
30-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Looking at the signings, you can only think we've brought our problems on ourselves. It's been patently obvious from last season that we needed a bit of strength and experience in the back line and in midfield too. What have we done? Brought in O'Hanlon! Other signings lack experience, add that to a general low confidence and it's difficult to see much of a season to look forward to. What the hell was all that guff from CC about holding off singings till later and the list of names now being put before him dramatically improving. We desperately need another bit of experience in defence and if we're not going to sign anyone then CC has to look to moving Murray in and benching Hanlon for the time being.

JimBHibees
30-08-2011, 10:08 AM
I also thoughtvWebsters goal came from his area and him either not being alert and on his toes or a feeble stumble when trying to get there. This may have been what CC was alluding to with the new boys not being match fit.

I agree he wasnt great and was culpable at the goal however didnt think he was that bad and he just needs IMO to get up to speed a bit, hopefully the international break will give him time to get sharper/fitter.

I think we need another Centre half/left back as at the moment Hanlon/Booth isnt working. You could probably get away with one at the moment not both.

I hope the previous interest in Mark Reynolds is genuine one as he would IMO be the sort of guy that would improve our defence big time next to O'Hanlon. I see Sky are reporting Sheff Wed as signing a centre half / left back on loan which would IMO mean he is moving whether he is coming to us is another thing however hope so as IMO was very good at Motherwell.

erin go bragh
30-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Hanlon is regularly a liability and massively over-rated I believe. He reminds me of Hughes or Dennis, utterly hopeless and Idon't think I can insult him more than comparing him with those two clowns. Get him out to Brechin or Montrose and learn how to be a centre half.
Have a word , i would take Hughes and Dennis every time over what we have at present !

GGTTH

erin go bragh
30-08-2011, 10:23 AM
Have a word , i would take Hughes and Dennis every time over what we have at present !

GGTTH

Speedway
30-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Didn't Hanlon do a stint on loan at the St. Js?

I remember a Muirton Park ST holder telling me that he was 'different class' and a cut above anything else in the league.

basehibby
30-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Hanlon and Booth = goals ! Boothy is a left midfielder in this league, Hanlon is 1st Division. Anyone that thinks young Paul is the future needs their head examined......starting with Billy Stark !

Clearly I need to book myself a slot at the head mechanic then cos I do see Hanlon as the future.

I agree fully with those who say he needs experience beside him and am somewhat dismayed at Calderwood's assertion that business is complete for this window as I still see that as a priority.

I totally disagree with the likes of yourself though - truehibernian or not you clearly haven't been watching closely enough if you think Hanlon is hopeless - he has made mistakes certainly but has also shown class beyond his years and will only get better.