PDA

View Full Version : 4 points from 33.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2011, 05:02 PM
How can anyone defend that?:confused:

Saorsa
28-08-2011, 05:04 PM
How can anyone defend that?:confused:Nae idea but I'm sure somebody will try.

bobbyhibs1983
28-08-2011, 05:13 PM
could be worse e.g 1 from 33 or 0 from 33?:na na:

On a more mature note, i think something is wrong,what do our players do at our outstanding traing complex for example?

Greenblood70
28-08-2011, 05:46 PM
An absolutely shocking statistic which makes the "knee jerk" allegations look all the more daft.

Cropley10
28-08-2011, 05:49 PM
An absolutely shocking statistic which makes the "knee jerk" allegations look all the more daft.

No! He "just needs more time" etc etc.

northgreen24
28-08-2011, 05:53 PM
this mans record must be up there with the worst hibs manager ever :confused::confused: yet he seems to be getting more time than anyone else has ever had?

maby RP is looking for an alex ferguson type turnaround in fourtunes but i fear the reality is with turning down brum and forrest he just doesnt want to admit the board got this so wrong!!!!

jonty
28-08-2011, 05:54 PM
3 from 5 games is surely more relevant.
5 points cover 9 teams.

Let's write off a team that's barely played together, and before we've even played all the teams in the league. Yep, time for change. Again. :rolleyes:

Hainan Hibs
28-08-2011, 05:57 PM
5 points cover 9 teams.

Let's write off a team that's barely played together, and before we've even played all the teams in the league. Yep, time for change. Again. :rolleyes:

3 from 15, time to crack open the bubbly:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2011, 05:58 PM
5 points cover 9 teams.

When folk were hounding out Hughes, his record from the season before was included by his critics. Are you now saying there's a different set of rules we now need to adhere to regarding managers records?

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:00 PM
When folk were hounding out Hughes, his record from the season before was included by his critics. Are you now saying there's a different set of rules we now need to adhere to regarding managers records?

No, I'm basing it on a new squad, not a new manager. The season starts at 0 points.

Critics always seem to base their stats on he worst run of results they can.
Last seasons performance counts 0 towards this seasons points count. As does any cup win.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2011, 06:03 PM
No, I'm basing it on a new squad, not a new manager. The season starts at 0 points.

Last seasons performance counts 0 towards this seasons points count. As does any cup win.

well this team is no better than when he arrived, in fact i'd say its worse. Under clueless we are now even easier to beat.

Bobby's Cinema
28-08-2011, 06:04 PM
5 points cover 9 teams.

We're sat plum bottom of the table mate. New players or not. Lets get a grip. That is pretty damning and utterly undefendable

Alfred E Newman
28-08-2011, 06:05 PM

Show us statistics that suggest he is doing a good job then.:dunno:

Captain Trips

As you know BH I am with you on CC, he may have new players that havent settled but last season spoke volumes on what CC can bring to table that is nothing of note. We never asked for a sudden rush of wins once Hughes went but I did expect something different, certainly got that for the worse IMO.

Time and giving CC time is not the fix, the fix is a change from the top right down to the pitch, we are just heading for another season of frankly p1ss poor fayre. If 4th once in 5 seasons and looking like it might once in 6 is in anyway acceptable for a club with our infrastructure then something is very very wrong.

Elephant Stone
He needs more time apparently, 10 months isn't enough.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2011, 06:08 PM
As you know BH I am with you on CC, he may have new players that havent settled but last season spoke volumes on what CC can bring to table that is nothing of note. We never asked for a sudden rush of wins once Hughes went but I did expect something different, certainly got that for the worse IMO.

Time and giving CC time is not the fix, the fix is a change from the top right down to the pitch, we are just heading for another season of frankly p1ss poor fayre. If 4th once in 5 seasons and looking like it might once in 6 is in anyway acceptable for a club with our infrastructure then something is very very wrong.

There's only one question anyone needs to ask themselves, do you see any signs of progress? Anyone who answers yes, i'd love to hear what it is?

Cropley10
28-08-2011, 06:09 PM

He needs time so that these players he's bought in can learn to pass the ball and tackle for 90 minutes.

Northernhibee
28-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Show us statistics that suggest he is doing a good job then.:dunno: We're last in the SPL and very lucky to have three points.

Captain Trips
28-08-2011, 06:10 PM
There's only one question anyone needs to ask themselves, do you see any signs of progress? Anyone who answers yes, i'd love to hear what it is?

At best we have stood still, we will again be ending this season with lots of the current squad looking at contract talks, IMO we are in another mess. I do not have the optimism that all our new players are better than what we had some are and some are not. Heading in wrong direction yet again.

seven nowt
28-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Get him away. He's not a manager. Nobody can defend him, and as if I care that we've not played every team. I've seen enough and it's not getting any better though I reckon I'd give Ian Murray and Garry O'Connor pass marks this season. But Calderwood, please do me a favour and just go.

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:17 PM
well this team is no better than when he arrived, in fact i'd say its worse. Under clueless we are now even easier to beat.
In you opinion. In my opinion we've more experience up front, we've ditched a stack of players that you (and I) were happy to see leave and replaced them with fewer, yet better, players.

We're sat plum bottom of the table mate. New players or not. Lets get a grip. That is pretty damning and utterly undefendable
Someone had to be. But let's be realistic, we're bottom of the table after 5 games, a game in hand. 5 point cover 4th to 12th. Hardly time for mass depression.

We're still in the cup and we have a game in hand to be mid-table.
We've brought in experienced players and got rid of some pretty bad ones.
5-0 wasn't a fluke IMHO.

sahib
28-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Get him away. He's not a manager. Nobody can defend him, and as if I care that we've not played every team. I've seen enough and it's not getting any better though I reckon I'd give Ian Murray and Garry O'Connor pass marks this season. But Calderwood, please do me a favour and just go.

Why, oh why didn't they let the man leave, with dignity, in the close season?

Bobby's Cinema
28-08-2011, 06:21 PM
It's not even up for debate. Yet another rotten and lacklustre performance at the PBS. Rubbish. This is absolutely the time for depression

Andy74
28-08-2011, 06:21 PM
It's a pathetic record and the excuses are getting more pathetic by the day. He seems to be the only manager I can recall who will only be judged once he has signed all 25 or so squad members.

Even then he'd probably be given a year of defeats. Puzzling.

Saorsa
28-08-2011, 06:24 PM
any interview up yet, I'd love tae hear that.

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:24 PM
It's not even up for debate. Yet another rotten and lacklustre performance at the PBS. Rubbish. This is absolutely the time for depression

When was the last time we showed some balls at the PBS? A long, long time ago.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2011, 06:27 PM

I know, its ridiculous to expect any new manager to install a bit of balls into the side. I suppose all we should expect is more of the same then?

Alfred E Newman
28-08-2011, 06:28 PM
5-0 wasn't a fluke IMHO.

I give in, there is no answer to that.:not worth

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I know, its ridiculous to expect any new manager to install a bit of balls into the side. I suppose all we should expect is more of the same then?

equally ridiculous to expect a new squad of young players to roll up and beat an experienced fit hearts team that have months of experience playing together.
I suppose we should expect them take every spl team apart?

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:33 PM
I give in, there is no answer to that.:not worth
Glad you've seen the light :na na::greengrin

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:35 PM
any interview up yet, I'd love tae hear that.

We all know the guy is a walking PR disaster, but if you must go out your way to depress yourself more......:rolleyes:

Grab a beer and put on the beach volleyball instead :wink: cheer up :greengrin

Sean1875
28-08-2011, 06:37 PM
if it wasnt for a last minute goal against the run of play we would be bottom of the league with 0 points, why are people still defending this clown? :confused:

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:41 PM
if it wasnt for a last minute goal against the run of play we would be bottom of the league with 0 points, why are people still defending this clown? :confused:

And if it wasn't for individual errors, we'd have more points. Sods law.

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2011, 06:41 PM
equally ridiculous to expect a new squad of young players to roll up and beat an experienced fit hearts team that have months of experience playing together.

I expect us to try and play a bit, i expect us to try and get the ball down, pass it to a green and white shirt some of the time. What i dont expect no matter if they have been together 10 minutes or 10 years is to see the kind of football sorry hoofball we play.

Stack to booth, booth to hanlon, trip up fart then pass to Ohanlon. Look up see a sea of ***** so either back to stack and hoof, or miss stack out and hoof.

Thats the progress we have made under calderwood.

I forgot about the midfield, you couldnt mould all 4 today into one to make a decent one, no craft, no balls, no ability, no creation, and 2nd best to most of the 50 50s. And dont be calling this knee jerking, its been the same since he arrived through to today. We had Agogo half fit, Osbourne half fit, Murray half fit and useless, yet a fit palsson on the bench.

The guy hasnt a clue, and is making us a laughing stock. He's working his ticket out the door, he never wanted to be here in the summer, now we cant get rid without sacking him. WHAT A BLOODY MESS YOU HAVE CAUSED PETRIE.

jonty
28-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I expect us to try and play a bit, i expect us to try and get the ball down, pass it to a green and white shirt some of the time. What i dont expect no matter if they have been together 10 minutes or 10 years is to see the kind of football sorry hoofball we play.

Not the first (or last time I guess) that we'll agree on that.
Not since John ONeill et al have I seen us physically up to matching hearts. But we will have them this season, and it's going to feel great:wink:

Saorsa
28-08-2011, 06:53 PM
We all know the guy is a walking PR disaster, but if you must go out your way to depress yourself more......:rolleyes:

Grab a beer and put on the beach volleyball instead :wink: cheer up :greengrintoo late, I've heard it :timebomb: (well, the bit I could be bothered listening tae)

Sean1875
28-08-2011, 06:56 PM
And if it wasn't for individual errors, we'd have more points. Sods law.
every single game we seem to be making these 'individual errors' though, and as its been mentioned before it is surely CC and his coaching staffs job to be adressing these issues in training, i genuinely dont have any confidence towards CC just now and I havent for a long time.

Barman Stanton
28-08-2011, 07:01 PM
We seem to make no chances during a game. On paper we seem to have a decent team but we revert to punting up to players that are not target men. It's a worry. A very poor show today.

weonlywon6-2
28-08-2011, 07:03 PM

:agree:

id say we are getting worse. i believe we have the players to be at the top end but its just crap

Forthview
28-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Much better Hibs teams have lost more than 2-0 at Gorgie under heroes such as Mowbray, etc

blackpoolhibs
28-08-2011, 07:40 PM
Much better Hibs teams have lost more than 2-0 at Gorgie under heroes such as Mowbray, etc

Great news it does not matter because we have always been sheite.

The Voice Of Reason
28-08-2011, 07:41 PM

Oh well, everything is OK then.

Calderwood Must Stay :aok:

Sas_The_Hibby
28-08-2011, 07:52 PM

This isn't a one-off, though, it's the continuation of a dreadful run of both results and performances.

I think we're in a cleft stick at the moment. I can't defend CC and the tactics and performances under him have been terrible, IMO, in 90% of cases. However, changing managers every 10 months to a year isn't working and perhaps we have to grit our teeth, let the new players bed in, and see if CC can turn it round in the next two months. I'm not confident, nevertheless, and if he hasn't done so, then he'll have to go too. Unfortunately, I no longer have any faith in RP / the Board appointing anyone who will do any better.

The players we have / have had recently look ok on paper but get them in a Hibs shirt and they rapidly deteriorate. Which all leads me to believe that there's something seriously wrong with the club - is it ethos? is it working practices? what is it? Ultimately the Board cannot shirk all responsibility for the state we're in. Are they in fact the problem?

As an aside, I though Hearts looked pretty ordinary today but still they completely outplayed and oufought us: all they need to do to beat us these days is turn up and do the basics and they'll have no problems with a dispirited powder-puff Hibs team with no cutting edge and no spirit. I'm really disgusted.

Viva_Palmeiras
28-08-2011, 07:55 PM
It's a pathetic record and the excuses are getting more pathetic by the day. He seems to be the only manager I can recall who will only be judged once he has signed all 25 or so squad members.

And the time to judge is not in question?
Just asking? Maybe the change in judgement is to pull back from being another Aberdeen?

greenlex
28-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Not read the thread but from the title I will make this comment. I dont care what went on last season. Its this season and the next few that I care about. Judge Calderwood at the end of the season. If we are in danger of relegation at the next window there might be a case to look at it but other than that let him get on with it

mickki40
29-08-2011, 07:36 AM
Maybe it's just me, but when CC buys his players in, he buys them on the basis that they can Tackle, pass a ball, have a fitness level that will see them last 90 minutes. And can read a game as well. What I witnessed yesterday with the exception of Graham Stack (kept the defeat respectable imo) was abysmal. Ivan Sproule was turned over, he was too predictable all game. Leigh Griffiths really should learn to tackle instead of running round like a headless chicken and getting booked in the first non tackle he made. To be fair to Martin Scott, he could find Garry o Connor with a couple of passes when he had the ball. But if anybody on this forum thinks there is nothing SERIOUSLY wrong at Hibs, then think again. This is the most dire football I can remember for the last 10 years. It is abysmal. I stood in the roseburn stand and 3 of us all watched, and predicted that the second goal was seconds away. It was that obvious. We were, pulled apart by a team that is not that good. The Gap in football was highlighted yesterday. Hibs are going backwards on the pitch. This is going to be a hard season. The crowds will get less and less, and the board will bury their heads in their hands. And if they think that going down will then bring us back up with bumper crowds...think again. We would not win the first division with what I have witnessed so far this season. Even Caley away was a injury time winner. Get a grip hibs.

J-C
29-08-2011, 09:29 AM
If this was a Championship or Div 1 English club, CC would've been booted already before it gets too late, new players or not is no excuse, these players should be good enough, I personally think CC has no motivation in him and that goes through to the players. He seems too laid back and under control and the players are picking up on all that and are playing the same way, no panic, all is well.

pacorosssco
29-08-2011, 09:35 AM
we need to look at longer term picture though. aye right. relagation stats and time for a clear out of management/ board

erin go bragh
29-08-2011, 10:31 AM

Depressing stats , football dire , no play maker , ffs its no looking good is it ?

ggtth

Cropley10
29-08-2011, 11:00 AM

The same experienced fit hearts team who have months of experience playing together that have won something like 3 or 4 games since March?? :confused:

Steve-O
29-08-2011, 11:09 AM
With good managers you can see the difference in the team pretty much immediately (McLeish and Mowbray are the two that spring to mind). This clown has now had 9-10 months and we are STILL absolute pish, and possibly worse than ever, which is going some considering what went on before.

jonty
29-08-2011, 11:11 AM
The same experienced fit hearts team who have months of experience playing together that have won something like 3 or 4 games since March?? :confused:

Shows you how ***** they are and even more frustrating that we can't beat them.

PatHead
29-08-2011, 11:25 AM
I am sure Calderwood, the Board and anyone connected with Hibs will find this run of results unacceptable. If we hadn't got the 5 game run last season I have no doubt that Calderwood would have been on his way. We are now in a position that Calderwood has his players, his "style" of football and has to be given the chance to prove he is the man for the job. As the window is about to shut there is no time for a new manager to come in and change things by bringing in his own players.

I would love the board to come out and say this is unacceptable, what they are expecting, what targets they have set for the season, where they see us heading over the next 3 years etc......... Some sort of a mission statement.

What does need to happen now is for the Board to set Calderwood a target over the next 6 games and if he doesn't achieve it sack him. This would mean he had been in the job for a year which is a long enough time to judge him. I don't believe this target should be made public though.

Personally I think he has had long enough already.

As an aside I wonder if he will be up here or down south during the 2 week break. That would definately show his commitment to the club.

Andy74
29-08-2011, 11:29 AM
With good managers you can see the difference in the team pretty much immediately (McLeish and Mowbray are the two that spring to mind). This clown has now had 9-10 months and we are STILL absolute pish, and possibly worse than ever, which is going some considering what went on before.

Yep Mowbray had us passing the ball from his first game.

CC has now said that's us done for signings. If this was the big squad rebuild it's been a colossal failure so far.

Moulin Yarns
29-08-2011, 11:41 AM

To paraphrase another thread "our record is ONLY one defeat since our last win". Which is a decent record, statistically :greengrin

Not read the thread but from the title I will make this comment. I dont care what went on last season. Its this season and the next few that I care about. Judge Calderwood at the end of the season. If we are in danger of relegation at the next window there might be a case to look at it but other than that let him get on with it

I'm with Lex, and others, we lost a game, away from home, that we were never favourites to win. Judge him on the first quarter of the season at least, not on one over hyped fixture.

Moulin Yarns
29-08-2011, 12:10 PM
if we fail to get 5 points from the first 15 games of the season, then, and only then, will it be the worst ever record, that I'm aware off, which was under Jim Duffy, when we went 15 games between wins. That is how I will judge whether Calderwood is our worst ever manager.

StevieC
29-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Exactly. If we sacked a manager after every poor result/performance at the PBs we'd have gone through more managers than Mad Vlad.

There wasn't this level of hysteria after the Berwick game and yet we get beat at the ground of a team that finished 3rd last season, has a much larger player budget, and just managed a credible draw away to a Premiership team and everyone is up in arms.

Yes it hurts to get beat by your closest rivals, and I can understand wanting to take that hurt out on someone, but sacking the manager at this stage will just compound the problems.

IWasThere2016
29-08-2011, 12:28 PM
Exactly. If we sacked a manager after every poor result/performance at the PBs we'd have gone through more managers than Mad Vlad. There wasn't this level of hysteria after the Berwick game and yet we get beat at the ground of a team that finished 3rd last season, has a much larger player budget, and just managed a credible draw away to a Premiership team and everyone is up in arms.

Yes it hurts to get beat by your closest rivals, and I can understand wanting to take that hurt out on someone, but sacking the manager at this stage will just compound the problems.

I agree - but it never seems to upset the Yams for too long :grr:

Septimus
29-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Has Calderwood moved his family to Edinburgh yet?

Moulin Yarns
29-08-2011, 12:34 PM
Has Calderwood moved his family to Edinburgh yet?

Does it matter? I work in Perth and have a colleague that lives near Glen Affric. The commute weekly to work and it doesn't affect their work, so why should it matter whether his 'home' is down south or up here, when he is working he is in Edinburgh/East Mains.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 12:42 PM
There are too many threads to try and figure out which one would be the most appropriate to add to so I picked this one since it's at the top.

I am far from happy with what have seen this season so far but I still think we need to stick with Colin, for two reasons:
1. I think we have to, getting rid of him after 5 games is ridiculous. If Hibs ever had any thoughts of getting rid of him it should have been at a time when we could still bring someone else in,
2. the season is just started, we could still turn it around. That's not to say we will, but we can.

I'm still giving him until Christmas which is what I always said I would do.

Albion Hibs
29-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Am I missing something, there has not been 33 points to play for this season?! 3 from 15 is more relevant unless you are trying to prove a specific point. 3 from 15 is not great, I think we should have been in a position whereby maybe we had another 3/4 points (win against St Mirren at home and a point away to Killie). But when you take into account the changes that have HAD to have taken place over the summer then I can understand why we may not be were you estimate we might be.

This going back over two seasons is a nonsense, last season finished in May, over and done with end of. This is a new season, that should be the only thing we are focusing on, but I understand that many are keen to have a go at Calderwood and anything associated with Hibs, therefore the thread title/stat should prove sufficiant for your purpose.

IWasThere2016
29-08-2011, 12:54 PM
There are too many threads to try and figure out which one would be the most appropriate to add to so I picked this one since it's at the top.

I am far from happy with what have seen this season so far but I still think we need to stick with Colin, for two reasons:
1. I think we have to, getting rid of him after 5 games is ridiculous. If Hibs ever had any thoughts of getting rid of him it should have been at a time when we could still bring someone else in,
2. the season is just started, we could still turn it around. That's not to say we will, but we can.

I'm still giving him until Christmas which is what I always said I would do.

Am I missing something, there has not been 33 points to play for this season?! 3 from 15 is more relevant unless you are trying to prove a specific point. 3 from 15 is not great, I think we should have been in a position whereby maybe we had another 3/4 points (win against St Mirren at home and a point away to Killie). But when you take into account the changes that have HAD to have taken place over the summer then I can understand why we may not be were you estimate we might be.

This going back over two seasons is a nonsense, last season finished in May, over and done with end of. This is a new season, that should be the only thing we are focusing on, but I understand that many are keen to have a go at Calderwood and anything associated with Hibs, therefore the thread title/stat should prove sufficiant for your purpose.

:top marks

silverhibee
29-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Does it matter? I work in Perth and have a colleague that lives near Glen Affric. The commute weekly to work and it doesn't affect their work, so why should it matter whether his 'home' is down south or up here, when he is working he is in Edinburgh/East Mains.

How many days in the week is CC at East Mains, does he take all the training sessions from game to game.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2011, 01:15 PM

There's your answer. And you can focus on anything you like, i will focus on a team easier to beat now that when he took over. I will also focus on a defence that cant defend, a midfield too that cant defend or create, and 1 man up front carrying the team. I will also focus on the fact we continue to make mistakes this team created by Calderwood can never recover from, as the quality is just no there.

Enjoy the testimonial game, it could be the only time you get to see a winning hibs team for a while. Watching washed up players trudging around a pitch are supposed to only be for testimonials, we have more than a few plying their trade each week at the moment, i dont think you will be able to tell any difference?

Moulin Yarns
29-08-2011, 01:22 PM
How many days in the week is CC at East Mains, does he take all the training sessions from game to game.

I don't know, I was answering the daft question about CC moving his family here, by referring to my colleague who's home is in a remote part of the highlands and probably takes longer to commute than CC does. Regardless, he has assistance from others who have coaching experience. My boss isn't always in the office, but I know what is expected of me when I'm at work.

Saorsa
29-08-2011, 01:23 PM
:top marksFolk were quite happy tae see Hughes's record carried forward from the previous season tae the next one when he was emptied. Were you one of them :dunno: :greengrin

and I'm no sticking up for Hughes, I thought he was gash too and showed nae signs of being able tae improve it. Calderwood appears tae be nae different, not the slightest sign of any improvement with the same things repeated over and over.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Folk were quite happy tae see Hughes's record carried forward from the previous season tae the next one when he was emptied. Were you one of them :dunno: :greengrin

and I'm no sticking up for Hughes, I though he was gash too and showed nae signs of being able tae improve it, Calderwood appears tae be nae different.

The rules have changed apparently now.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 02:02 PM
I don't think the rules have changed. If this record continues and CC is emptied then I think it will be quite fair to look at his record as a whole. However, as things stand right now, we're still rebuilding and I just want to see how that pans out. If it doesn't pan out then we can say that CC was useless with someone else's team as well as his own. The problem I have with going back to last season is that the team is totally different than last season. They might still come good. They might stay rooted to the bottom. Only time will tell but as many other people agree, we can't change the manager every time we have bad form because we would be changing managers at an alarming rate (something Hibs have already tried without success).

StevieC
29-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Folk were quite happy tae see Hughes's record carried forward from the previous season tae the next one when he was emptied.

The rules have changed apparently now.

Hughes had 3 transfer windows and an additional 3 months to turn things around. If we give Calderwood the same level of grace then he should be allowed at least until the end of February.

I dont think any rules have changed. :dunno:

greenlex
29-08-2011, 02:07 PM
I don't think the rules have changed. If this record continues and CC is emptied then I think it will be quite fair to look at his record as a whole. However, as things stand right now, we're still rebuilding and I just want to see how that pans out. If it doesn't pan out then we can say that CC was useless with someone else's team as well as his own. The problem I have with going back to last season is that the team is totally different than last season. They might still come good. They might stay rooted to the bottom. Only time will tell but as many other people agree, we can't change the manager every time we have bad form because we would be changing managers at an alarming rate (something Hibs have already tried without success).

In a nutshell.

If/when the time comes I will call for his head as loud if not louder than anyone.

Saorsa
29-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Hughes had 3 transfer windows and an additional 3 months to turn things around. If we give Calderwood the same level of grace then he should be allowed at least until the end of February.

I dont think any rules have changed. :dunno:I was only talking about results. If Hughes results from a previous season can be used as a stick tae beat him with, then so can Calderwood's, that's the only point I made, that seem fair tae me.

I personally see little difference between either of them and would stick up for neither as I think they're both equally poor. Hughes repeated the same mistakes over and over, he was also unable tae change a game when it wisane going his way. Calderwood appears little different, poor plan A and nae plan B. It's not about the players either of them had, it's about the way they used them.

I think we currently have a decent side, certainly better than the results we are getting suggest. I think the problem lies with Calderwood, pure and simple. I think Calderwood can spot a player but I think little of him as a manager.

silverhibee
29-08-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't know, I was answering the daft question about CC moving his family here, by referring to my colleague who's home is in a remote part of the highlands and probably takes longer to commute than CC does. Regardless, he has assistance from others who have coaching experience. My boss isn't always in the office, but I know what is expected of me when I'm at work.

The coaching experience you talk about, would that be Gareth Evans and Alistar Stevenson, there is a goalie coach, but who else do wee have as coaching staff at EM, Hibs dont have an assitant manager so when CC is not there wee have the two mentioned above doing the coaching with the team, do the players look up to these guys, last season i used to watch GE come out at half time to give the subs a warm up, sometimes he struggled to get them to even do that so what is it like at EM when he is taking training, as for AS, a good youth coach but that is it, no footballing experience that he can pass on to the players that i know off, it all has to change at EM, CC needs to be allowed to bring in his own no 2 and his own backroom staff, keep AS to bring through the youth and sorry to say but GE time is up at the club.
Hibs have one of the best training centres in the UK, its about time the board invested in some experienced coaches for EM, guys who have had a good career in football and that they can bring there experience to EM and share it with the players, and the players look up to these coaches and do as they are told, there is something not right at EM and it has to be addressed soooner rather than later. :aok:

Andy74
29-08-2011, 03:02 PM

They have. Hughes had one window and went on six months of great results.

It was the length of the bad run after that which was used as the reasoning to get rid of him.

So by the same token the length of the bad run which CC has had should be taken into account. What makes it worse is his side, other than the six week uplift he got after his first window has got worse since he has added even more.

CC might have had just two windows but he has had an unprecedented opportunity to clear out almost anyone he wanted to and bring in better.

Hughes had players from JC and Mixu as well as his own.

Again, just using Hughes as a comparison to the opinions on here at the time, this is all about CC and how bad he is not anyone else.

StevieC
29-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I was only talking about results. If Hughes results from a previous season can be used as a stick tae beat him with, then so can Calderwood's, that's the only point I made, that seem fair tae me.

Wasn't Hughes appointed in June? I dont think he had a "previous season" to be beaten with???

He had 2 transfer windows and a full season before any "beating" was done, and then a full pre-season with his own players another transfer window and a further 3 months after that. The Calderwood bashing started before he'd even had the opportunity to benefit from 1 transfer window, let alone 3. I'd also argue in Calderwood's corner that the summer transfer window (of which Hughes had 2) is a lot more beneficial than the January one.

If Calderwood can turn this around by the turn of the year then he will have bettered Hughes record with, it could be argued, fewer opportunities/resources. If not then he'll have been no better than Hughes and his head will be on the chopping block.

Until that time I will continue to support the club, the team and the manager. Negative vibes benefit nobody.

Moulin Yarns
29-08-2011, 03:19 PM

It was the length of the bad run after that which was used as the reasoning to get rid of him.

So by the same token the length of the bad run which CC has had should be taken into account. What makes it worse is his side, other than the six week uplift he got after his first window has got worse since he has added even more.

CC might have had just two windows but he has had an unprecedented opportunity to clear out almost anyone he wanted to and bring in better.

Again, just using Hughes as a comparison to the opinions on here at the time, this is all about CC and how bad he is not anyone else.

Seeing as you mentioned the bad run, (and got your facts wrong on your other thread) I'll point out that the current run of defeats is ONE since we last WON. How can one defeat be called a bad run :confused: :wink:

OH AYE, and you mentioned Hughes first :na na:

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Seeing as you mentioned the bad run, (and got your facts wrong on your other thread) I'll point out that the current run of defeats is ONE since we last WON. How can one defeat be called a bad run :confused: :wink:

OH AYE, and you mentioned Hughes first :na na:

Easily. You discount the one win as a fluke. And then you count the win at ICT as a fluke as well.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's pocket and tell them it's raining, the results are not good but let's not ignore the tiny beacons that have peppered this poor start.

Moulin Yarns
29-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Easily. You discount the one win as a fluke. And then you count the win at ICT as a fluke as well.

I'm not trying to piss in anyone's pocket and tell them it's raining, the results are not good but let's not ignore the tiny beacons that have peppered this poor start.

:agree::greengrin

StevieC
29-08-2011, 03:25 PM

So by the same token the length of the bad run which CC has had should be taken into account.

So Hughes had 7 or 8 months after his good spell ended before he was sacked .. you are asking for Calderwood to be sacked after less than 4.

:confused:

greenlex
29-08-2011, 03:28 PM

Inverness doesn't count stupid. We scored in injury time remember. :rolleyes: I would also argue that putting 5 past a second division team in a competative macth doesnt count either. It was the diddy cup after all.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Inverness doesn't count stupid. We scored in injury time remember. :rolleyes: I would also argue that putting 5 past a second division team in a competative macth doesnt count either. It was the diddy cup after all.

I just want to be crystal clear that the points I am making is not some sad attempt to justify what we have seen this season. I know you get that but there are some posters who might not.

greenlex
29-08-2011, 03:53 PM
I just want to be crystal clear that the points I am making is not some sad attempt to justify what we have seen this season. I know you get that but there are some posters who might not.
:agree: Its not accepatable.

basehibby
29-08-2011, 03:54 PM

Tell me where the logic is in giving someone 10 months to assemble a team then sacking him before they've had a chance to play together save for one fixture we usually get humped in anyway???

There IS no logic in this train of thought and the notion of sacking CC on the say so of a bunch of knee-jerkers on the back of an entirely predictable derby defeat is as indefensible as anything.

I am not a stalwart supporter of Calderwood but I see little point in sacking him at this juncture - that said his time is running out fast. In a few days he will have had two transfer windows and the opportunity to make wholesale changes to the squad. Following that he will have four fixtures in the space of a month with his new squad - all of which should be considered winable - if we don't see wholesale improvements over this period then I'll be joining in the chorus calling for his head - right now is premature IMO.

down the slope
29-08-2011, 04:12 PM
So a derby defeat is predictable ? sack him now then. To many people on here happy with any old crap we put on a pitch as long as you do not have a go at the team/manager.

greenlex
29-08-2011, 04:19 PM
So a derby defeat is predictable ? sack him now then. To many people on here happy with any old crap we put on a pitch as long as you do not have a go at the team/manager.
Nope not predictable but not surprising. The team yesterday on paper was capable of getting something. The only issue was could they last a hour or so an still be in the game. The home crowd and side frustrated and a strong bench utilised to try and win the game. They weren't and the result was the result. I wouldnt get too hung up about yesterday. it was only three poiints at the end of the day.
The performances individually and collectively are not acceptable so far and if they continue then yes Calderwood will go and so he should. What i cannot accept is we let him assemble his squad over two windows and because it doesnt hit the ground running we fire him after a handful of games. SOme of them have been here a matter of weeks FFS. Time etc etc yadda yadda yadda

Just as an aside did you think we would win yesterday?

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 04:23 PM
Tell me where the logic is in giving someone 10 months to assemble a team then sacking him before they've had a chance to play together save for one fixture we usually get humped in anyway???

There IS no logic in this train of thought and the notion of sacking CC on the say so of a bunch of knee-jerkers on the back of an entirely predictable derby defeat is as indefensible as anything.

I am not a stalwart supporter of Calderwood but I see little point in sacking him at this juncture - that said his time is running out fast. In a few days he will have had two transfer windows and the opportunity to make wholesale changes to the squad. Following that he will have four fixtures in the space of a month with his new squad - all of which should be considered winable - if we don't see wholesale improvements over this period then I'll be joining in the chorus calling for his head - right now is premature IMO.

This is his second attempt at assembling a team. He brought in his own players in January and showed very little to suggest that he is a credible manager afterwards. There isn't much logic in allowing him to bring more players in and to sack him now- if it was up to me he'd be gone by now and this wouldn't be an issue at all. Alas, he's still here and I still know he's not the man for the job.

And when you're referring to what is arguably our biggest fixture as an "entirely predictable defeat" ten months into your man's tenure, something is very wrong.

Saorsa
29-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Nope not predictable but not surprising. The team yesterday on paper was capable of getting something. The only issue was could they last a hour or so an still be in the game. The home crowd and side frustrated and a strong bench utilised to try and win the game. They weren't and the result was the result. I wouldnt get too hung up about yesterday. it was only three poiints at the end of the day.aye, and it was only 3 points at the end of the day against St. Mirren and it was only 3 points at the end of the day against Kilmarnock........who needs points anyway :rolleyes:

greenlex
29-08-2011, 04:28 PM
and it was only 3 points at the end of the day against St. Mirren and it was only 3 points at the end of the day against Kilmarnock........who needs points anyway :rolleyes:

Merely pointing out that yet another defeat by them is no different to a defeat by anyone when it comes to judging his record overall. Nor should it be.
Hurts more? Hell yeh but 3 points none the less.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 04:58 PM

Name one person who posts on here who has said they are happy with the way things are going? Shouldn't be hard as there are "to[sic] many" of them. :wink:

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 05:01 PM
This is his second attempt at assembling a team. He brought in his own players in January and showed very little to suggest that he is a credible manager afterwards. There isn't much logic in allowing him to bring more players in and to sack him now- if it was up to me he'd be gone by now and this wouldn't be an issue at all. Alas, he's still here and I still know he's not the man for the job.

And when you're referring to what is arguably our biggest fixture as an "entirely predictable defeat" ten months into your man's tenure, something is very wrong.

I would argue that collectively speaking it's his first attempt at assembling a team but people will see it they way they want to.

IWasThere2016
29-08-2011, 05:04 PM
Folk were quite happy tae see Hughes's record carried forward from the previous season tae the next one when he was emptied. Were you one of them :dunno: :greengrin

and I'm no sticking up for Hughes, I thought he was gash too and showed nae signs of being able tae improve it. Calderwood appears tae be nae different, not the slightest sign of any improvement with the same things repeated over and over.

The WORST ever :wink: Was that over two seasons? Dunno? If CC does the same it should be curtains.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 05:12 PM
I would argue that collectively speaking it's his first attempt at assembling a team but people will see it they way they want to.

Collectively speaking to include his first chance and second chance, right?

Captain Trips
29-08-2011, 05:23 PM
This goes beyond CC, we can say he needs time maybe he does and I think a lot of people would be willing to give it if he showed us something to be hopeful of.

My main point is we talk of managers being given time how much time do the board get? We have had 4 managers in 5 years and finished 4th once in 5yrs, since putting East mains into place IMO Hibs have had plenty of time to stabilise things and build, the SPL record of Hibs is IMO a disgrace as is the failure to find a manager whom we are not sacking 12-18mths down the line.

I have and have not had any confidence in CC for a long time and even longer with the board, IMO they have had plenty of time to have us not just challenging for 4th but getting it. After we finished in the disgraceful position of 10th they should then have realised it was time to appoint somebody onto that board who knows football on the pitch, RP and co have rested on the debt reduction and traing facility for me that honeymoon is well over and the board have failed big time to deliver the targets I and I think many expect along with there own targets.

WhileTheChief..
29-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Discussing CCs future on Sportsound in a min...

Cropley10
29-08-2011, 05:33 PM

Going back over two seasons is nonsense is it? Well if he'd won say 6 on the bounce, at the end of last season and 2 from 2 in the SPL this season, I'm pretty certain people would be referring to the fact that we'd won eight in a row now. I very much doubt people wouldn't be counting all the games he'd won, or shouting them down if they did.

His record is abysmal, any, single, way you cut it, no matter where you count from. This season is arguably worse than last season, and from 1 point out of 15 at the end, that didn't seem feasible. I bet Hearts would like to play us every week.

I understand the time argument by the way - question is how many more defeats can we, literally, take, without any sign of improvement whatsoever??

Arch Stanton
29-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I was only talking about results. If Hughes results from a previous season can be used as a stick tae beat him with, then so can Calderwood's, that's the only point I made, that seem fair tae me.

What utter piffle (and I know you aren't the only one spouting this rubbish but I had to reply to one of them - andy74 or BH may well have been more appropriate).

For a long time we heard, from some, nothing but how good a manager JH was with the evidence being us sitting 3rd in the league. This was countered by those of us that could see JH was incompetent with the 'run of results' being part of the evidence which belied the '3rd place' argument.

Now I won't repeat the arguments regarding the transfer window which suggest that the only reasonable judgment of CC should be based on this seasons results other than to say they are perfectly sound.

While some have said that CC should be given till December I reckon that what happens during September will be a pretty clear indication of how he is doing.

One thing I would add is that, if CC is deemed not to be a good enough tactician and is replaced, then I don't think his replacement needs to be given any leeway before getting results because he will have taken over a damn good squad.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Collectively speaking to include his first chance and second chance, right?

No, collectively speaking to include his first window and second window. The big clearout did not happen until the summer. I am not of the belief that the players we brought in over the winter window constitutes a team rebuild. Yes, we added some new faces but it was still largely the same team.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 05:38 PM
Going back over two seasons is nonsense is it? Well if he'd won say 6 on the bounce, at the end of last season and 2 from 2 in the SPL this season, I'm pretty certain people would be referring to the fact that we'd won eight in a row now. I very much doubt people wouldn't be counting all the games he'd won, or shouting them down if they did.

His record is abysmal, any, single, way you cut it, no matter where you count from. This season is arguably worse than last season, and from 1 point out of 15 at the end, that didn't seem feasible. I bet Hearts would like to play us every week.

I understand the time argument by the way - question is how many more defeats can we, literally, take, without any sign of improvement whatsoever??

I know what you mean but we really ought to wait until the season is over before we try to compare them. Right now it is still possible for us to win 2 cups and another 99 points. I'm not saying that will happen, hopefully that is obvious, but the future is unwritten and we have everything to play for. Edit : Right now, season on season, we are 2 points worse off than last year.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 05:47 PM
No, collectively speaking to include his first window and second window. The big clearout did not happen until the summer. I am not of the belief that the players we brought in over the winter window constitutes a team rebuild. Yes, we added some new faces but it was still largely the same team.

Those were both opportunities to make his mark on the team, the board backed him in both of those opportunities and allowed him to bring in a fairly large number of players. When a decent new manager takes over a team you'd expect to see some sort of response from the players and a change in fortune- we never got this when he first joined. At that time you could argue that it wasn't his team and he could only do so much, this is fair enough but you'd expect a decent manager to have us playing football at its most basic level at least: tightening up at the back, some passing and movement and some goals- we never got this.

In January he brought in quite a large number of players, we waited for this response again but it never really came. Even when we were winning it was never convincing. Now he's been given another opportunity and we still can't play football at its most basic level- we can't string three passes together; the players look scared in possession and we're leaking goals left right and centre.

I'll feel sorry for him if he has to go, it looks like he's brought in a few handy players. But any keen fan or Football Manager player can cherry pick players. He's had ten months to develop our playing style into any kind of threat and he's failed miserably.

IberianHibernian
29-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Results throughout 2011 have been a disgrace but can`t see CC leaving unless he gets another offer from England . We`ve let him sign a whole team and time to have got rid of him was in summer . I think results may pick up - they can`t really get any worse and opposition are not exactly strong - but suspect we`re going to be stuck with unentertaining , unimaginative play which at best will see us scrape into top 6 ( this may be considered satisfactory or even success by club ) . Not quite sure why CC was appointed last year but suspect that one reason may have been his knowledge of English football at all levels - the signing policy of scraping around in lower divisions of English leagues is not the best way surely since it only leads to signing technically ordinary players who are used to ridiculously high wages moving to a league where their only motivation is to impress enough to get back to England . English game is overhyped at all levels and a lot of us believe the hype and even encourage such signings . If our own young players aren`t good enough or aren`t ready for first team , hopefully our next manager backed up by an improved scouting system will look further afield for signings - players from lower leagues in Portugal for example will be technically better than their English counterparts and won`t demand such high wages .

basehibby
29-08-2011, 06:03 PM

1) Second attempt??? Nonsense! Players were brought in in january to avoid relegation first and foremost - the signings in the summer should be considered an ongoing development on top of the january signings. Everyone and his dog knew that about 20 Hibs players were out of contract in the summer and a major rebuild would be required - like it or not this rebuilding process can only be considered anything like complete a few days from now.

2) It was not up to you, Calderwood is still here and he has signed pretty much a whole team of players - it is therefore very much an issue as to whether we should then sack him just as the rebuilding job is being completed just so as someone else can come in and tear it all down again. I say that having gone this far it would be foolish not to permit Calderwood the chance to show what his fully assembled squad can do over a series of fixtures.

3) We all know the script - newly assembled team still looking somewhat disjointed. Hearts, our biggest rivals or not, with double the wage bill have a strong home record generally and particularly against us (look up the records - it's there in black and white), ergo IMO saturday's defeat WAS entirely predictable - no less disappointing but entirely predictable.

4) You refer to Calderwood as "my man" when I clearly stated above that I am no Calderwood stallwart - are you just trying to appear ignorant or is it just a god given talent???

Albion Hibs
29-08-2011, 06:12 PM
There's your answer. And you can focus on anything you like, i will focus on a team easier to beat now that when he took over. I will also focus on a defence that cant defend, a midfield too that cant defend or create, and 1 man up front carrying the team. I will also focus on the fact we continue to make mistakes this team created by Calderwood can never recover from, as the quality is just no there.

Enjoy the testimonial game, it could be the only time you get to see a winning hibs team for a while. Watching washed up players trudging around a pitch are supposed to only be for testimonials, we have more than a few plying their trade each week at the moment, i dont think you will be able to tell any difference?

Why do you bother, your constant hammering of hibs and everything, and I mean everything, about them is nothing short of embarrasing.

Regardless of the above of course you have either missed the point of my post, or more than likely chosen to ignore it in place or putting up a sarcastic reply focusing only on having another dig at hibs.

My point stands, I will be measuring this season of the point gained this season, you can measure it over the past seasons if you think that is valid to where we are now, or if it helps you have a go at hibs.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Those were both opportunities to make his mark on the team, the board backed him in both of those opportunities and allowed him to bring in a fairly large number of players. When a decent new manager takes over a team you'd expect to see some sort of response from the players and a change in fortune- we never got this when he first joined. At that time you could argue that it wasn't his team and he could only do so much, this is fair enough but you'd expect a decent manager to have us playing football at its most basic level at least: tightening up at the back, some passing and movement and some goals- we never got this.
I agree with what you're saying but I lay the blame for this at the feet of the players. They are the ones who are supposed to be able to kick a ball to one of their pals in the same colour shirt they're wearing. Why that is not happening, even now, is a mystery to me. I hear what you're saying about a "decent manager" but we really have no clue what would have happened even if we brought in Alex Ferguson.

In January he brought in quite a large number of players, we waited for this response again but it never really came. Even when we were winning it was never convincing. Now he's been given another opportunity and we still can't play football at its most basic level- we can't string three passes together; the players look scared in possession and we're leaking goals left right and centre.
I think the players made an impact. If not the players, "something" happened which helped us string together some much needed wins. I don't know what happened and why that all fell apart though.

I'll feel sorry for him if he has to go, it looks like he's brought in a few handy players. But any keen fan or Football Manager player can cherry pick players. He's had ten months to develop our playing style into any kind of threat and he's failed miserably.

He's been in the post for 10 months but he hasn't had all the players for that length of time. Some have been here since last season. Some since winter. Some since the summer. The reason I have been saying "give him until Christmas" is because by that time he will have had the same squad of players for 4 months and that, to me, is enough time to get all the pieces working together.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 06:15 PM
1) Second attempt??? Nonsense! Players were brought in in january to avoid relegation first and foremost - the signings in the summer should be considered an ongoing development on top of the january signings. Everyone and his dog knew that about 20 Hibs players were out of contract in the summer and a major rebuild would be required - like it or not this rebuilding process can only be considered anything like complete a few days from now.

2) It was not up to you, Calderwood is still here and he has signed pretty much a whole team of players - it is therefore very much an issue as to whether we should then sack him just as the rebuilding job is being completed just so as someone else can come in and tear it all down again. I say that having gone this far it would be foolish not to permit Calderwood the chance to show what his fully assembled squad can do over a series of fixtures.

3) We all know the script - newly assembled team still looking somewhat disjointed. Hearts, our biggest rivals or not, with double the wage bill have a strong home record generally and particularly against us (look up the records - it's there in black and white), ergo IMO saturday's defeat WAS entirely predictable - no less disappointing but entirely predictable.

4) You refer to Calderwood as "my man" when I clearly stated above that I am no Calderwood stallwart - are you just trying to appear ignorant or is it just a god given talent???

He's had two transfer windows and two opportunities to shape the team. The fact that we were fighting relegation at the time of his first opportunity is completely irrelevant in terms of the opportunity he had, if it was relevant and he only brought them in to fight relegation he'd have let go of the players after the relegation fight was over. They were clearly players he wanted to keep and it is completely fair to judge him on this window.

I've posted in more detail above about what my problems with CC are, have a look if you're as keen as you seem to know what they are.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 06:23 PM
I agree with what you're saying but I lay the blame for this at the feet of the players. They are the ones who are supposed to be able to kick a ball to one of their pals in the same colour shirt they're wearing. Why that is not happening, even now, is a mystery to me. I hear what you're saying about a "decent manager" but we really have no clue what would have happened even if we brought in Alex Ferguson.

I think the players made an impact. If not the players, "something" happened which helped us string together some much needed wins. I don't know what happened and why that all fell apart though.

He's been in the post for 10 months but he hasn't had all the players for that length of time. Some have been here since last season. Some since winter. Some since the summer. The reason I have been saying "give him until Christmas" is because by that time he will have had the same squad of players for 4 months and that, to me, is enough time to get all the pieces working together.

The players should have the ability to make a pass but when the overall strategy is a mess it makes things difficult. We have our centre halves trying 30 yard passes, the ball rushed though midfield at a crazy rate and overall no shape to the team which would allow decent, creative passes to be made.

Waiting until Christmas would seem fair and logical if we'd seen some kind of progress along the way so far. I would be able to stomach 22 losses in 38 games better if it looked like we were improving but I can see nothing at all. At best I think we might see the odd win here and there but I just don't see it working out and I think it will end in a sacking or a resignation somewhere not far down the line. The sooner he goes and we can more on, the better.

Arch Stanton
29-08-2011, 06:28 PM
He's had two transfer windows and two opportunities to shape the team. The fact that we were fighting relegation at the time of his first opportunity is completely irrelevant in terms of the opportunity he had, if it was relevant and he only brought them in to fight relegation he'd have let go of the players after the relegation fight was over. They were clearly players he wanted to keep and it is completely fair to judge him on this window.

I've posted in more detail above about what my problems with CC are, have a look if you're as keen as you seem to know what they are.

Buying players in the winter window is as sensible as going to a supermarket to buy bread on a Sunday evening - the "quite large" numbers of players brought in included 2 youngsters relatively untested at first team level and one Div 1 player.

It is utterly fatuous to say it was a normal window and yet another poor attempt to score cheap debating points against CC.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Waiting until Christmas would seem fair and logical if we'd seen some kind of progress along the way so far. I would be able to stomach 22 losses in 38 games better if it looked like we were improving but I can see nothing at all. At best I think we might see the odd win here and there but I just don't see it working out and I think it will end in a sacking or a resignation somewhere not far down the line. The sooner he goes and we can more on, the better.

Again I agree with you. I have seen nothing from this season that makes me think we've turned the corner but what I hear about individuals showing promise leads me to believe that if we can get these individuals playing as a team we could be onto something. Why? it's just what I think.

One of the reasons I am behind CC is because I want him to succeed. Hibs need him to succeed because if he doesn't, we are in a really bad situation because I don't want to continue the revolving managerial door. We can't afford to. Everyone has their limit and CC is mine. If we can't get things right with this guy then I wonder what it will take to turn things around for us.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Buying players in the winter window is as sensible as going to a supermarket to buy bread on a Sunday evening - the "quite large" numbers of players brought in included 2 youngsters relatively untested at first team level and one Div 1 player.

It is utterly fatuous to say it was a normal window and yet another poor attempt to score cheap debating points against CC.

So? They were his choices. He knew the situation we were in and if they were too young or not good enough he shouldn't have signed them.

I'm not trying to score any points against CC, I wish he'd be a good manager for us but he just isn't.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Again I agree with you. I have seen nothing from this season that makes me think we've turned the corner but what I hear about individuals showing promise leads me to believe that if we can get these individuals playing as a team we could be onto something. Why? it's just what I think.

One of the reasons I am behind CC is because I want him to succeed. Hibs need him to succeed because if he doesn't, we are in a really bad situation because I don't want to continue the revolving managerial door. We can't afford to. Everyone has their limit and CC is mine. If we can't get things right with this guy then I wonder what it will take to turn things around for us.

We need stability for sure but it scares me to think that this is one of the main reasons for him being kept on. There's more to be lost in keeping an inadequate manager than in taking a risk in changing for a new one IMO.

Arch Stanton
29-08-2011, 06:37 PM
So? They were his choices. He knew the situation we were in and if they were too young or not good enough he shouldn't have signed them.

I'm not trying to score any points against CC, I wish he'd be a good manager for us but he just isn't.

So, doing nothing was an option in your book? hmmmmm

The players he brought in were an improvement on what we had - it has been explained to you in previous posts that there is a difference between getting players in to stave off relegation and building a squad for success.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 06:41 PM

The players he brought in were an improvement on what we had - it has been explained to you in previous posts that there is a difference between getting players in to stave off relegation and building a squad for success.

So doing nothing or signing players that were too young or not good enough were the only two options? There were absolutely no other ways of doing a January transfer window?

I never even said the players were too young or not good enough. What I'm saying is that two transfer windows and ten months- albeit with a lot of personnel changes- is enough of an opportunity to organise a team into some kind of threat, and he hasn't done so.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 06:44 PM
We need stability for sure but it scares me to think that this is one of the main reasons for him being kept on. There's more to be lost in keeping an inadequate manager than in taking a risk in changing for a new one IMO.

There we will deviate. :)

We've already tried the revolving door approach and it hasn't worked well for us.

At the end of the day we all want the same thing. Almost. I actually think there are people who don't want CC to be a success just to prove a point i.e., that they were right all along. But that's not much different than me. I want him to be a success because I want Hibs to be a success and I also would like it to be shown that giving a manager some time can work......I just hope that it does!

Arch Stanton
29-08-2011, 06:47 PM
So doing nothing or signing players that were too young or not good enough were the only two options? [B]There were absolutely no other ways of doing a January transfer window?

I never even said the players were too young or not good enough. What I'm saying is that two transfer windows and ten months- albeit with a lot of personnel changes- is enough of an opportunity to organise a team into some kind of threat, and he hasn't done so.

I didn't say that they were either too young or not good enough - it's like you are just mouthing off without really thinking about it. What I said was they were untested at this level.

The fact that you see no difference between the Winter and Summer transfer windows says it all really.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2011, 06:50 PM

Who says the players he's brought in are an improvement? His job when he arrived has changed, at the time Hughes was the problem, to a man this site said so. All we needed was a new manager, we had the players, no pla B, the way he bullied or was to friendly, the way he spoke, no tactics or his team selections or substitutions, take your pick. Nobody was saying the players were not good enough.

Now its changed to he was brought in to save us from relegation. These new players are so much better, we are actually in a worse position, i'm glad he did not get worse players in.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 06:50 PM
I didn't say that they were either too young or not good enough - it's like you are just mouthing off without really thinking about it. What I said was they were untested at this level.

The fact that you see no difference between the Winter and Summer transfer windows says it all really.

I don't know what your point is. It was an opportunity for him to make his mark on the team and to start to turn things around. Bringing in young players and untested players was his choice and I don't see how this means he had less of an opportunity and therefore shouldn't be judged on it.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 06:54 PM
So doing nothing or signing players that were too young or not good enough were the only two options? There were absolutely no other ways of doing a January transfer window?

I never even said the players were too young or not good enough. [B]What I'm saying is that two transfer windows and ten months- albeit with a lot of personnel changes- is enough of an opportunity to organise a team into some kind of threat, and he hasn't done so.

While I agree with what you're saying, we have to give him some time AFTER the transfer window. We can't just say he's had two windows when one of them isn't even over IMO.

Albion Hibs
29-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Who says the players he's brought in are an improvement? His job when he arrived has changed, at the time Hughes was the problem, to a man this site said so. All we needed was a new manager, we had the players, no pla B, the way he bullied or was to friendly, the way he spoke, no tactics or his team selections or substitutions, take your pick. Nobody was saying the players were not good enough.

Now its changed to he was brought in to save us from relegation. These new players are so much better, we are actually in a worse position, i'm glad he did not get worse players in.

Are you saying the new players are not an improvement, if so explain? Which players that have come in are not as good / better than the ones that have left?

If you are also saying that you did not criticise the previous / players that have left you are kidding yourself / or you have some form of memory loss, there is not a chance under the sun that you of all people did not hammer each and every single one of them.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 06:55 PM

This site, almost to a man, agreed that the players who were emptied had to be.

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 06:58 PM
While I agree with what you're saying, we have to give him some time AFTER the transfer window. We can't just say he's had two windows when one of them isn't even over IMO.

Of course, he did have half a season after January though. As I say, I'd be slightly happier for him to be given time after this window as well if he'd shown that he'd got the team doing the basics at least but it's just not been there.

HibsMax
29-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Of course, he did have half a season after January though. As I say, I'd be slightly happier for him to be given time after this window as well if he'd shown that he'd got the team doing the basics at least but it's just not been there.

Your last bit is the biggest riddle for me. I have a really hard time blaming the manager for the technical inabilities of professional footballers. I saw something on Sunday (wish I had noted down the time) that had me scratching my head. It was in the second half and Hibs were under pressure. We tried to clear our lines but ended up just passing the ball back to Hearts and they applied more pressure. I think that was right before Hearts hit the post and then Stack cleared the line. I don't know how to explain it but I can picture it in my head clearly. :)

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Are you saying the new players are not an improvement, if so explain? Which players that have come in are not as good / better than the ones that have left?

If you are also saying that you did not criticise the previous / players that have left you are kidding yourself / or you have some form of memory loss, there is not a chance under the sun that you of all people did not hammer each and every single one of them.

The previous team as i said many many times was a poor team, held together with 3 or 4 good players. Bamba Miller Riordan and Stokes. Stokes and Bamba were sold and that team became poorer.

They had poor players all over the park, players who could put in the odd decent performance, but in general we ended up in the position our quality deserved.

Now we have a new team sprinkled with kids , some average to poor, one with a decent chance to make a name for himself, but probably needs a rest from playing. Calderwoods signings are average to poor, O'Conner apart. O'Hanlon is average, he's nothing special. Towell another average player, Sproule again average, nowhere near as good as the Ivan who left. O'Sbourne i'm not sure about, i thought last week he was ok, yesterday he was awful, but apparently he's not fit, yet Calderwood deemed him fit enough to play in front of 2 fitter players in Scott and Palsson. Of course these are 2 players you think are crap, so no need to explain their contributions since they arrived.

Sodje and Agogo are more average footballers, Sodje has done well with his scoring record, but he's an average player. Agogo will be released at the end of his contract having played a dozen games at most, mostly as a sub.

Thornhill is another pup, Brian Kerr has contributed more that this invisible man, unless we count his brace at east fife? He's brought in so many players i have lost count, yet we still see no improvement. Although lets just say he has brought in better players, where is the better football, never mind results, where is the formation and tactics that show us we are going in the right direction?

He's signed a raft of new faces, but as a team we are no better, O'Conner is better than Riordan so far, Thornhill is worse than Miller, but overall as a team we have not improved any. When Mowbray arrived he made a significant improvement in the team with his signings, Calderwood has not, mowbray took us to 3rd, Calderwood has taken us to 12th, i know which kind of improvement i prefer.

blackpoolhibs
29-08-2011, 07:26 PM
This site, almost to a man, agreed that the players who were emptied had to be.

Not when Hughes was sacked????????????????????????????????

Elephant Stone
29-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Your last bit is the biggest riddle for me. I have a really hard time blaming the manager for the technical inabilities of professional footballers. I saw something on Sunday (wish I had noted down the time) that had me scratching my head. It was in the second half and Hibs were under pressure. We tried to clear our lines but ended up just passing the ball back to Hearts and they applied more pressure. I think that was right before Hearts hit the post and then Stack cleared the line. I don't know how to explain it but I can picture it in my head clearly. :)

I don't think the technical ability of our players is the problem per se, they all have the ability to pass to a player on their team and move into a decent space but it's not happening in the current setup.

Captain Trips
29-08-2011, 07:31 PM
The previous team as i said many many times was a poor team, held together with 3 or 4 good players. Bamba Miller Riordan and Stokes. Stokes and Bamba were sold and that team became poorer.

They had poor players all over the park, players who could put in the odd decent performance, but in general we ended up in the position our quality deserved.

Now we have a new team sprinkled with kids , some average to poor, one with a decent chance to make a name for himself, but probably needs a rest from playing. Calderwoods signings are average to poor, O'Conner apart. O'Hanlon is average, he's nothing special. Towell another average player, Sproule again average, nowhere near as good as the Ivan who left. O'Sbourne i'm not sure about, i thought last week he was ok, yesterday he was awful, but apparently he's not fit, yet Calderwood deemed him fit enough to play in front of 2 fitter players in Scott and Palsson. Of course these are 2 players you think are crap, so no need to explain their contributions since they arrived.

Sodje and Agogo are more average footballers, Sodje has done well with his scoring record, but he's an average player. Agogo will be released at the end of his contract having played a dozen games at most, mostly as a sub.

Thornhill is another pup, Brian Kerr has contributed more that this invisible man, unless we count his brace at east fife? He's brought in so many players i have lost count, yet we still see no improvement. Although lets just say he has brought in better players, where is the better football, never mind results, where is the formation and tactics that show us we are going in the right direction?

He's signed a raft of new faces, but as a team we are no better, O'Conner is better than Riordan so far, Thornhill is worse than Miller, but overall as a team we have not improved any. When Mowbray arrived he made a significant improvement in the team with his signings, Calderwood has not, mowbray took us to 3rd, Calderwood has taken us to 12th, i know which kind of improvement i prefer.

Indeed we emptied lots of players and replaceded them with some better and some worse hence bottom of SPL, total joke.

MCameron
29-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Hearts were in trouble tactically under FJK. Fast forward a few games under a new manager and although not great you can see they are playing to a system. Sergio seems to have a plan and is already instilling it in his team. I see nothing of the sort in CCs Hibs team I'm sad to say. How can that be?

Dirkster23
29-08-2011, 07:45 PM

Surely it's the managers job to to watch players before he signs them to ensure they're good enough to improve the team?

DH1875
29-08-2011, 08:38 PM
5-0 wasn't a fluke IMHO.[/QUOTE]

:faf::faf::faf:, It was Berwick FFS. Give him the Arsenal job :rolleyes:.

[QUOTE=Desperate Dan;2902598]Folk were quite happy tae see Hughes's record carried forward from the previous season tae the next one when he was emptied. Were you one of them :dunno: :greengrin

I'd take Yogi over this idiot anytime. His team might have been crap but at least it was crap you could watch. It baffles me that so many people wanted Yogi out and yet their willing to give CC so much time.

nortonhibby
29-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Sorry but better than Derek I think not i do agree with everything else you say though. No improvement on Yogi.:flag:

Albion Hibs
29-08-2011, 10:11 PM

This was to do with the gripe you have with this manager and the signings he has made;

1) Stokes was sold under Yogi
2) Stokes and Bamba were sold, that wont have been a decision by the manager but by the board
3) I will give you Miller, but you canned him often enough, so to cite him is a little ironic

So I put it to you on that front you are clutching at straws.

Would you rather have;

1) O'Connor than Nish,
2) Agogo/Sodje than Trakys
3) Osborne than Rankin
4) Towell than Hart
5) O'Hanlon thank Dickho
6) Sproule than....no one

Numbered for easy reference for you. So again on the basis of the above do you think these players are not as good/better?

jonty
29-08-2011, 10:20 PM
5-0 wasn't a fluke IMHO.

So? Your point exactly is what?

Lesser teams have beaten us at home.
We're being called relegation material yet it's being ignored that we had a good result during the week. Not only the result, but the manner in which the team played.

Saorsa
29-08-2011, 10:29 PM

We're being called relegation material yet it's being ignored that we had a good result during the week. Not only the result, but the manner in which the team played.So ignoring the fact of who the opposition was, we had a good performance. Why then did Calderwood drop players who performed well on that night tae the bench in order tae play players who weren't even up tae full fitness or match fit in a derby of all matches?

Genius :rolleyes:

jonty
30-08-2011, 06:39 AM
So ignoring the fact of who the opposition was, we had a good performance. Why then did Calderwood drop players who performed well on that night tae the bench in order tae play players who weren't even up tae full fitness or match fit in a derby of all matches?

Genius :rolleyes:

Because we needed experience on the park?
The cup result has already been dismissed because of the quality of the opposition. Now we're wanting the same team to face the thugs across the city?
As much as I'd love to, we can't compare hearts and Berwick directly. The point about the Berwick performance was that the team is capable of playing above the standard they play at the moment.

But you already knew that:wink:

Saorsa
30-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Because we needed experience on the park?
The cup result has already been dismissed because of the quality of the opposition. Now we're wanting the same team to face the thugs across the city?
As much as I'd love to, we can't compare hearts and Berwick directly. The point about the Berwick performance was that the team is capable of playing above the standard they play at the moment.

But you already knew that:wink:Osbourne has more SPL experience the Jimmy Scott? Agogo has more SPL experience than Sodje?

They played above the standard because the opposition was lesser then which allowed them tae do so then? you cannae have it both ways.

jonty
30-08-2011, 07:00 AM
Osbourne has more SPL experience the Jimmy Scott? Agogo has more SPL experience than Sodje?

They played above the standard because the opposition was lesser then which allowed them tae do so? you cannae have it both ways.

Correct they did. If Berwick played hearts I'd expect another 5 or so goals to go past them.
The point that I seem to badly be making is that the improvement is there on show.
Last season, do you think we'd have put 5 past Berwick ?
I don't, hence the optimism (that seems to have deserted my fellow supporters.)

Berwick was 5-0 going on 7 or 8
Hearts was 2-0 but it wasn't going on 5 or 6. If GarryO had converted his chances we'd be talking about a different game.

Saorsa
30-08-2011, 07:14 AM
Correct they did. If Berwick played hearts I'd expect another 5 or so goals to go past them.
The point that I seem to badly be making is that the improvement is there on show.

Hearts was 2-0 but it wasn't going on 5 or 6. If GarryO had converted his chances we'd be talking about a different game.Despie the change in personel we have not improved against the teams we are going tae be playing every week in the SPL. The two results even before the yams game have shown that, too bad we dinnae play Berwick or the like every week when the gulf in class of player is enough tae overcome the managerial ineptitude, we could be top.

I wouldnae disagree that we have a better squad than last season, I think the squad is as good as any, get rid of a couple and and another couple and we'd be fine. For me by far the biggest problem by is the dumpling in charge of them. I think he has an eye for a player and would make a good assistant at Birmingham or somewhere else.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2011, 08:11 AM
This was to do with the gripe you have with this manager and the signings he has made;
Of course its to do with the gripe i have with the manager, have you seen the league table?
1) Stokes was sold under Yogi
2) Stokes and Bamba were sold, that wont have been a decision by the manager but by the board

Stokes and Bamba were sold, well done at least you are keeping up with things, so when the next players are sold, will it make any difference to our league position if those replacements are replaced with inferior players? I know that will be difficult even for clueless to do, but he's managed it so far.

3) I will give you Miller, but you canned him often enough, so to cite him is a little ironic

More pish, he was one of my favorites, if he was poor i said so, but imo that was rare.
So I put it to you on that front you are clutching at straws.

Would you rather have;

1) O'Connor than Nish,
2) Agogo/Sodje than Trakys
3) Osborne than Rankin
4) Towell than Hart
5) O'Hanlon thank Dickho
6) Sproule than....no one

O'Conner every time, or Sodje v Riordan Riordan every time, Agogo over Trakys who knows, both are pish. O'Sbourne over Rankin, its close but although rankin was poor, he never hid like O'sbourne did on sunday. I'd have Wotherspoon over Towell at right back, and O'Hanlon over Dickho marginally.

Yes i'd have Sproule over nobody :confused:. So after all his signings, some might be better than those who left, others i dont think so, but after all his wheeling and dealing, we are left with a team who are just as bad or if you believe the league table, actually worse.

We now have a team that are poor defencively, cant create or defend from midfield, and Garry O'Conner used as a battering ram. The first thing any new manager should be doing when appointed, is make that team more difficult to beat.

Have that team scrapping for every point. Well 4 points from 33 or 3 points from 15, or even 32 points from 105 since arriving sure as hell tell me he cant do that. And as for making things better, you have more chance of biting your own erse.

Steve-O
30-08-2011, 08:21 AM

We're being called relegation material yet it's being ignored that we had a good result during the week. Not only the result, but the manner in which the team played.

When? :confused:

Speedway
30-08-2011, 08:33 AM

That would mean giving CC the season. .net won't want that.

CC's record is THE worry and no doubt about it.

Let's look at why though, because according to .net not one manager who has come to Hibs in the last 5 years has got a clue tactically. This despite them having their UEFA licenses, so doesn't it call into question the whole examination standard of world football...or is it just because it's Hibs?

down the slope
30-08-2011, 09:21 AM

Let's look at why though, because according to .net not one manager who has come to Hibs in the last 5 years has got a clue tactically. This despite them having their UEFA licenses, so doesn't it call into question the whole examination standard of world football...or is it just because it's Hibs?

Just because it's Hibs, the accountant knows nowt about football, have a look at the league table.

Speedway
30-08-2011, 09:25 AM
Just because it's Hibs, the accountant knows nowt about football, have a look at the league table.

Which accountant?

Arch Stanton
30-08-2011, 09:54 AM

It's because it's Hibs - definite. :agree:

If McCall or Shiels were managing us things would be no better.

Managers who have managed other SPL clubs seem to have better records there (at a guess) than they do with Hibs.

Personally I reckon that smaller clubs who outperform us do so because they have smaller budgets and not in spite of.

OK, so slightly tongue in cheek here but there's definitely something weird going on.

hibiedude
30-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Thing is BH you'll still get some on this site saying give him more time when infact his time is up NOW before a gap opens up at the bottom :taxi

Arch Stanton
30-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Thing is BH you'll still get some on this site saying give him more time when infact his time is up NOW before a gap opens up at the bottom :taxi

And of course there will be those who say he should go immediately when his time is not in fact up.

jonty
30-08-2011, 11:50 AM
When? :confused:
Dumbarton - Scottish Cup, 1-9.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=76

In 1890 :greengrin

A quick look through the stats (http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?page=3) is a reminder that it doesnt matter who we get in the cup, we can't expect a win. Ayr Utd, Ross County, Morton - all lower division teams that we should beat.

I've stopped going through the stats as its too depressing.

Albion Hibs
30-08-2011, 12:07 PM
We now have a team that are poor defencively, cant create or defend from midfield, and Garry O'Conner used as a battering ram. The first thing any new manager should be doing when appointed, is make that team more difficult to beat.

Have that team scrapping for every point. Well 4 points from 33 or 3 points from 15, or even 32 points from 105 since arriving sure as hell tell me he cant do that. And as for making things better, you have more chance of biting your own erse.

I think you are almost there, but as usual have avoided the question. Are the players that were brought in better than the ones that have left? Dont give me the league table as you have judged previous players over seasons not games.

With regards to your ridiculous comment in relation to Stokes particularly at least one of us is keeping up as it would appear you did not know when he left or under which manager. Keep up wee man.

The point I was making was that your comment in relation to Bamba and Stokes was like many of yours IMO, invalid, inaccurate and as usual scewed in a way which helps you prove some sort of point or just have a go at hibs.

If you dont know if Sodje or Agogo is better than Trakys then you have issues. Taking Sodje as an example scored plenty and featured on a regular basis V's a guy you canned and played one/two games.

In effect the only one you disagreed with was Towell, which lets be honest you did not even read properly. The question for the avoidence of doubt was - who would you rather have "TOWELL or HART"?

easty
30-08-2011, 12:14 PM

I wouldn't say that having the UEFA licence ultimately means you have a clue tactically. If it's anything like other exams then you probably only have to get half of right to actually pass!!

easty
30-08-2011, 12:16 PM
If you dont know if Sodje or Agogo is better than Trakys then you have issues. Taking Sodje as an example scored plenty and featured on a regular basis V's a guy you canned and played one/two games.

What exactly have you seen of Agogo, in a Hibs jersey, that would suggest he's better than Trakys? I'm genuinely interested.

hibiedude
30-08-2011, 12:22 PM
And of course there will be those who say he should go immediately when his time is not in fact up.

Any who says that Caldewood should stay should come on this site and explain what rest of us are clearly missing.

Albion Hibs
30-08-2011, 12:22 PM
What exactly have you seen of Agogo, in a Hibs jersey, that would suggest he's better than Trakys? I'm genuinely interested.

I thought Agogo did okay on Sunday. He held up the ball as well as any striker do in a hibs shirt for many a season now.

What did you see trakys do that would make you think he is better than Agogo and Sodje? I am genuinely interested?

easty
30-08-2011, 12:24 PM

Hearts was 2-0 but it wasn't going on 5 or 6. If GarryO had converted his chances we'd be talking about a different game.

I do think that last season we could have put 5 past Berwich, they're murder. If Dundee/Falkirk/Livvy had beat Berwick 5-0 in the cup we wouldn't be talking about how good a result that was for them, it wouldn't be a surprise because, as I said previously, Berwick are murder.

If anything, Hearts should have won by more. You're probably right, it wasn't going on 5 or 6. I would say, though, it was closer to going on 3 or 4 than it was to us pulling one back and getting back into the game. We were nowhere near as good as them.

If GarryO's shot hadn't, somehow, managed to squirm in past the Caley keeper then we'd be bottom of the table on just 1 point from 5 games.

easty
30-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I thought Agogo did okay on Sunday. He held up the ball as well as any striker do in a hibs shirt for many a season now.

What did you see trakys do that would make you think he is better than Agogo and Sodje? I am genuinely interested?

I wasn't having a go at all by the way. I thought Trakys was an awful player for us, one of the worst we've had for years. Sodje has shown plenty that proves he's a better player. Agogo has done nothing of merit so far.

I thought Agogo looked terrible against Hearts, and if it had been Trakys would he have done any worse? I don't think so, perhaps he wouldnt have done any better either though.

Albion Hibs
30-08-2011, 12:33 PM
I wasn't having a go at all by the way. I thought Trakys was an awful player for us, one of the worst we've had for years. Sodje has shown plenty that proves he's a better player. Agogo has done nothing of merit so far.

I thought Agogo looked terrible against Hearts, and if it had been Trakys would he have done any worse? I don't think so, perhaps he wouldnt have done any better either though.

Apologies if my response was a little on the offensive. I genuinely feel that Agogo is a big unit, he held off the hearts centre halfs on a few occasions, and despite them playing with an extra man in midfield, he was on more than a couple of occassions successful in bringing others into play.

Given he is back from injury, only just and maybe even a little rushed I took a lot of confidence from what I saw in him. The days of relentless pressure from the ball going up the park and then straight back to our defense were not so long ago and something I think CC as a manager focuses on not having.

KeithTheHibby
30-08-2011, 12:35 PM
So if we sack CC who do we replace him with? Realistically obviously.

FWIW I was, and still am prepared to give him a few more games, September is a massive month for Hibs and CC.

HibsMax
30-08-2011, 01:34 PM
I don't think the technical ability of our players is the problem per se, they all have the ability to pass to a player on their team and move into a decent space but it's not happening in the current setup.

Agreed but why is that? This is a genuine question - what can CC be doing to make the players miss their passes?

HibsMax
30-08-2011, 01:37 PM
5-0 wasn't a fluke IMHO.

I'd take Yogi over this idiot anytime. His team might have been crap but at least it was crap you could watch. It baffles me that so many people wanted Yogi out and yet their willing to give CC so much time.

There is no real reason to be baffled, this has been stated many times before. The reason given by many is that the managerial revolving door has not been working and we need to stick with one guy. Apparently the board thought that Yogi was not the man they wanted to stick with. I am sure they wanted better results than we have seen so far but I think they will persevere for a while longer yet.

JimBHibees
30-08-2011, 01:40 PM
So if we sack CC who do we replace him with? Realistically obviously.

FWIW I was, and still am prepared to give him a few more games, September is a massive month for Hibs and CC.

I agree, Sunday wasnt an unexpected defeat given the number of new players in the club however the manner of particularly the second half was very worrying to me. All we seemed to do was knock in long and hope for a knock down, given the shape of the team had changed and we had no width at all. Playing players (Agogo, Osboure) who are genuinely not fit enough to play was staggering when to me Sodje should have started with Palsson or/and Scott in the middle to give us some energy and drive which was sadly lacking. Osbourne to me looks a player and we may have got away with playing him alongside fitter guys (Palsson/Scott) however Ozzy and Murray struggled with the pace of it.

As you say September is a big month with a number of home games coming up, IMO if we are still struggling by the end of it he will be toast.

Sas_The_Hibby
30-08-2011, 02:39 PM

In the whole 60 minutes he's played for us so far?!!

You wouldn't like to at least let him play a whole game before you start writing him off, would you?

matty_f
30-08-2011, 03:03 PM
[QUOTE=DH1875;2903037]

There is no real reason to be baffled, this has been stated many times before. The reason given by many is that the managerial revolving door has not been working and we need to stick with one guy. Apparently the board thought that Yogi was not the man they wanted to stick with. I am sure they wanted better results than we have seen so far but I think they will persevere for a while longer yet.

The problem with the managerial merry go-round, specifically with regards to Hibs' situation as it stands, is that we have not had anyone in that is a constant that can help create and establish a good culture at the club. Nobody to set standards and raise the bar.

Since Mowbray left, we've lost a lot of players, a lot of good players, and we've replaced with some good players and a lot of bad players. In between that, squads have been built quickly and taken apart just as quickly, with each new manager.

Collins sensed there was something up with the culture and sought to address it. The players kicked off and despite Petrie telling them what Collins says, goes, there was no improvement and Collins left.

Mixu came in, and having learned from the 'mistake' that Collins made, treaded carefully and failed to create a culture of success at the club. He perished and was replaced by Yogi, again conscious not to repeat the mistakes of Collins he talked about getting the players used to training 9-5, with punishing schedules and high standards but his actions didn't reflect the words and players took the piss repeatedly.

Now, on our fourth manager post-Mowbray, we've nobody left from the successful side other than Stevenson, who does not look like someone who is at all influencial in the dressing room.

There is no culture at Easter Road/East Mains. We need a manager that can bring players in, get them to buy-in to what he wants, and start to embed that culture. It takes longer than 2 transfer windows to do it at the level it needs done at Hibs, IMHO.

Bottling it now with the manager sees us back to square one, sometimes you need to ride out the rough times to get the rewards. CC has just put this team together. Not every team clicks from day one, and he needs to be given time to make that group of players a team, and to build a proper culture at Hibs, one that will last long after he departs.

Sas_The_Hibby
30-08-2011, 03:13 PM
[QUOTE=HibsMax;2903525]

The problem with the managerial merry go-round, ............................

................Bottling it now with the manager sees us back to square one, sometimes you need to ride out the rough times to get the rewards. CC has just put this team together. Not every team clicks from day one, and he needs to be given time to make that group of players a team, and to build a proper culture at Hibs, one that will last long after he departs.

Very good post - agree with most of it. Not convinced by CC yet, but we you're right that we have to stop the managerial 'merry-go-round' some time.

easty
30-08-2011, 03:19 PM
In the whole 60 minutes he's played for us so far?!!

You wouldn't like to at least let him play a whole game before you start writing him off, would you?

Where did I write him off? I replied to a post that suggested it would be better to have Agogo than Trakys. I'm neutral to Agogo so far, he's done nothing to suggest he'll be brilliant or that he'll be better than Trakys yet, has he? That's not to say he won't do in the future though, clearly I hope he does.

Aubenas
30-08-2011, 03:40 PM
The problem with the managerial merry go-round, specifically with regards to Hibs' situation as it stands, is that we have not had anyone in that is a constant that can help create and establish a good culture at the club. Nobody to set standards and raise the bar.

Excellent post Matty. The fans slate RP for not listening - actually I suspect, becuae of our low and fluctuating gates, the Board have maybe listened too much - at least on the playing side. Fans have knee jerk reactions, Boards need the opposite. You're right that the club needs a culture - a boot room tradition if you like; I think maybe the continuity of Gareth and Alistair Stevenson is maybe the start of that - but they still need a good manager above that. I feel CC gets literally a bad press because he interviews steadily and without getting excited. Yogi on the other hand was great in interviews when he came in, talked a great game but eventually we reckoned there wasn't much behind it.

Mowbray was successful because he got the chance to establish a culture v quickly. If you went round the stadium you could see it - the inspirational quotes on the walls of the tunnel, similar at East mains - which had obviously been his idea.There was a whole philosophy involved.The way he talked about football and played it. The clincher was he could do this instillation of culture cos he had a group of young players who knew nothing else and were just delighted to be getting first team football. They did what he told them, and I suspect he and Mark Venus complemented each other really well.The fact that the young players were v talented helped a lot! As they got more experienced, mixed with others on international duty, they bought into it less and less - hence the poor last 6 months (and also his disastrous tenure at Celtic with more mature players).

CC has a mixed group: some youngsters,. some who've been around. Much more difficult to weld them together and impose a culture - you have to prove to them that your way is best for them, as footballers, by and large, are a selfish lot. It's a real chicken and egg - a successful team believes in the manager and does what they are told; a team which learns at training becomes successful.

Folk in the game seem to rate CC; I'm not prepared to diss him just cos he fails to sparkle in interviews; I don't know if he's a good manager or not. I do know he needs more time to imopose a culture. I do know if Hibs empty another manager any time soon, we'll just about be on a par with:duck: Hearts for sackings and the commotion caused by another new guy and another squad will be a good short cut to relegation.

I'm pretty p***ed of with the statistics but I don't know of anyone who would come in and do better - especially not with what is now CC's squad. The reality is we stick with CC. We've had seasons where evrything's been brilliant till Christmas and then it's fallen apart. Who's to say the reverse doesn't happen this year. The signings look to be good quality with decent records (Not Zarabi and Gathuessi for instance!) When fit they should offer us something. Tynecastle wasn't a thumping and there was some shape and fight about the team whatever anyone says. We tighten defence, and we get the midfield used to playing with the forwards (Sunday was first time we'd played in the league with two strikers for instance). We have to keep the faith because actually there isn't any other viable option. Most successful managers are given a lot of leeway -for instance maybe Mixu went too soon. let's hunker down and weather the storm.
It mightn't be fun but it makes sense.:tin hat::duck:

down the slope
30-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Excellent post Matty. The fans slate RP for not listening - actually I suspect, becuae of our low and fluctuating gates, the Board have maybe listened too much - at least on the playing side. Fans have knee jerk reactions, Boards need the opposite. You're right that the club needs a culture - a boot room tradition if you like; I think maybe the continuity of Gareth and Alistair Stevenson is maybe the start of that - but they still need a good manager above that. I feel CC gets literally a bad press because he interviews steadily and without getting excited. Yogi on the other hand was great in interviews when he came in, talked a great game but eventually we reckoned there wasn't much behind it.

Mowbray was successful because he got the chance to establish a culture v quickly. If you went round the stadium you could see it - the inspirational quotes on the walls of the tunnel, similar at East mains - which had obviously been his idea.There was a whole philosophy involved.The way he talked about football and played it. The clincher was he could do this instillation of culture cos he had a group of young players who knew nothing else and were just delighted to be getting first team football. They did what he told them, and I suspect he and Mark Venus complemented each other really well.The fact that the young players were v talented helped a lot! As they got more experienced, mixed with others on international duty, they bought into it less and less - hence the poor last 6 months (and also his disastrous tenure at Celtic with more mature players).

CC has a mixed group: some youngsters,. some who've been around. Much more difficult to weld them together and impose a culture - you have to prove to them that your way is best for them, as footballers, by and large, are a selfish lot. It's a real chicken and egg - a successful team believes in the manager and does what they are told; a team which learns at training becomes successful.

Folk in the game seem to rate CC; I'm not prepared to diss him just cos he fails to sparkle in interviews; I don't know if he's a good manager or not. I do know he needs more time to imopose a culture. I do know if Hibs empty another manager any time soon, we'll just about be on a par with:duck: Hearts for sackings and the commotion caused by another new guy and another squad will be a good short cut to relegation.

I'm pretty p***ed of with the statistics but I don't know of anyone who would come in and do better - especially not with what is now CC's squad. The reality is we stick with CC. We've had seasons where evrything's been brilliant till Christmas and then it's fallen apart. Who's to say the reverse doesn't happen this year. The signings look to be good quality with decent records (Not Zarabi and Gathuessi for instance!) When fit they should offer us something. Tynecastle wasn't a thumping and there was some shape and fight about the team whatever anyone says. We tighten defence, and we get the midfield used to playing with the forwards (Sunday was first time we'd played in the league with two strikers for instance). We have to keep the faith because actually there isn't any other viable option. Most successful managers are given a lot of leeway -for instance maybe Mixu went too soon. let's hunker down and weather the storm.
It mightn't be fun but it makes sense.:tin hat::duck:

Ten months down the line and we are as bad as when he started , if you watched the game on Sunday there was no football only hoofball, we might get a few lucky results with that but my bet is you will see teams passing through us at will and we will be still in the same position now come the end of the season. So be it, it seems like it has got to get worse before it gets better .

Captain Trips
30-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Mowbray simply had a settled team, one of the major issues I have are these 6mth and 1yr deals this has been getting more and more common over last 3/4 years and IMO is a major factor in our problems, RP has allowed this our maybe insisted on this along with some players only wanting short deals, either way come end of this season good or bad we will be looking to either resign or bring in a whole load of new players, it really is a farce.

blackpoolhibs
30-08-2011, 05:33 PM
I think you are almost there, but as usual have avoided the question. Are the players that were brought in better than the ones that have left? Dont give me the league table as you have judged previous players over seasons not games.

i will give you what the hell i like, these new players could all be as good as Messi, but clueless cant get them to play anything resembling football, whatever permutation he puts out, fit or not.

With regards to your ridiculous comment in relation to Stokes particularly at least one of us is keeping up as it would appear you did not know when he left or under which manager. Keep up wee man.
You know as well as i do, i was quoting this team now to the team that started the season before last

The point I was making was that your comment in relation to Bamba and Stokes was like many of yours IMO, invalid, inaccurate and as usual scewed in a way which helps you prove some sort of point or just have a go at hibs.

Again more pish, i dont want to have a go at Hibs, nothing would make me happier than a winning side, something you dont give a toss about. We are no better than the team that finished 4th under Hughes, you know i mean this, Stevie Wonder can even see that.

Pull the posts out where i canned Trakys, he's another i didnt like Miller, you are a ****** liar. count the stars even you should work out what i said.

Its ok for you to put players against others, yet when i change those players its me who has the issues? :faf: Now Agogo is a huge player for us, because you think he did well on Sunday, he held the ball up a couple of times. :rolleyes:

In effect the only one you disagreed with was Towell, which lets be honest you did not even read properly. The question for the avoidence of doubt was - who would you rather have "TOWELL or HART"?

Why do i have to put Towell up against Hart, when i believe Wotherspoon is our best right back, you know the one who was part of a back 4 who had one of our best records in years?

Albion Hibs
30-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Why do i have to put Towell up against Hart, when i believe Wotherspoon is our best right back, you know the one who was part of a back 4 who had one of our best records in years?

:faf: You are unbelieveable. You really need to get real. And again no answer to the question :faf:.

No I dont know what fake comparison you were making, fact of the matter is you do not know what you are on about, that is blatantly obvious. Chopping and changing what you were saying....its called back tracking. If you were comparing the start of last season to this then you will know at this stage we had what, 5 points and had played one more game at home. You maybe also need to factor in the nature of our loss to St Mirren this year, two silly mistakes by Booth and Palsson, a hibs team that should have won that was undone by those two moments being the most significant factors. So tell me again about the validity of your comparison??!!

You really dont have a clue and you are clearly not going to answer the question....so I will do it for you wee man. We have replaced the players that have left the club with better players....that was not hard was it!

You need to get real, you among so many others wanted a whole new team, you got just about that, it came between January and as recent as Friday past, with the majority in the weeks/month before that. If you think they just turn up and start playing then you are kidding youself. Time to get real, your like a 10 year old writting an Xmas card list of "i wants" from one thing to the next. Have a word the manager needs time, your OP is as much of a farce as the content of your replies since :bye:

Arch Stanton
30-08-2011, 06:34 PM
Mowbray simply had a settled team, one of the major issues I have are these 6mth and 1yr deals this has been getting more and more common over last 3/4 years and IMO is a major factor in our problems, RP has allowed this our maybe insisted on this along with some players only wanting short deals, either way come end of this season good or bad we will be looking to either resign or bring in a whole load of new players, it really is a farce.

Really? Do the contracts of all our squad run out at the end of this season - I was not aware of that. Surely some of them will still be in contract, won't they?

Or don't you know?

down the slope
30-08-2011, 06:37 PM
:faf: You are unbelieveable. You really need to get real. And again no answer to the question :faf:.

No I dont know what fake comparison you were making, fact of the matter is you do not know what you are on about, that is blatantly obvious. Chopping and changing what you were saying....its called back tracking. If you were comparing the start of last season to this then you will know at this stage we had what, 5 points and had played one more game at home. You maybe also need to factor in the nature of our loss to St Mirren this year, two silly mistakes by Booth and Palsson, a hibs team that should have won that was undone by those two moments being the most significant factors. So tell me again about the validity of your comparison??!!

You really dont have a clue and you are clearly not going to answer the question....so I will do it for you wee man. We have replaced the players that have left the club with better players....that was not hard was it!

You need to get real, you among so many others wanted a whole new team, you got just about that, it came between January and as recent as Friday past, with the majority in the weeks/month before that. If you think they just turn up and start playing then you are kidding youself. Time to get real, your like a 10 year old writting an Xmas card list of "i wants" from one thing to the next. Have a word the manager needs time, your OP is as much of a farce as the content of your replies since :bye:

Bollocks ! we're merde, should have won apart from the mistakes by two players that have been in our squad for how long ?. By your logic we should not have won up at inversneckie as it was a goalkeeping mistake that gifted us a win , face up to it, we are run and managed by balloons and your constant praise for them is frankly baffling to say the least.

Albion Hibs
30-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Bollocks ! we're merde, should have won apart from the mistakes by two players that have been in our squad for how long ?. By your logic we should not have won up at inversneckie as it was a goalkeeping mistake that gifted us a win , face up to it, we are run and managed by balloons and your constant praise for them is frankly baffling to say the least.

It maybe was not a good save, but I dont think it was a mistake, I was sitting right behind it so had a decent view, how was yours? In any event you will recall during the game the two/three wonder saves he pulled off?

In any event I thought you said you had stopped going to watch?

Sas_The_Hibby
30-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Where did I write him off? I replied to a post that suggested it would be better to have Agogo than Trakys. I'm neutral to Agogo so far, he's done nothing to suggest he'll be brilliant or that he'll be better than Trakys yet, has he? That's not to say he won't do in the future though, clearly I hope he does.

Fair enough - I accept claiming you were writing him off was perhaps a bit over the top. However, to say that a player who has barely played an hour for us in total has "done nothing of merit so far" still seems to be jumping the gun a bit.

I could equally say that Leigh Griffith's goalscoring record for us so far is unspectacular! :wink:

down the slope
30-08-2011, 07:41 PM
It maybe was not a good save, but I dont think it was a mistake, I was sitting right behind it so had a decent view, how was yours? In any event you will recall during the game the two/three wonder saves he pulled off?

Opinions opinions eh, the uberfan speaketh, just because you were there does not mean their keeper did not made an arse of the save , were you there when we won the cup under ET ? how was your view ?. in any event i was watching the Hibs for 20 years before you were even born , you know nowt.

DH1875
30-08-2011, 07:50 PM
[QUOTE=matty_f;2903587]

Very good post - agree with most of it. Not convinced by CC yet, but we you're right that we have to stop the managerial 'merry-go-round' some time.

I get the whole merry go round arguement but the thing that really annoys me is, why did the board decide to stick with the worst one :confused:.

Albion Hibs
30-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Opinions opinions eh, the uberfan speaketh, just because you were there does not mean their keeper did not made an arse of the save , were you there when we won the cup under ET ? how was your view ?. in any event i was watching the Hibs for 20 years before you were even born , you know nowt.

You missed all three questions, so I have included my comment from before in a bid to get you to answer them. You will also note that I did not say at any stage because I was there that he did not make an erse of the save, can you see that or do you need me to explain?

With regards to cup wins under ET I would think even someone with your apparent level of intelligence would be able to work out where I was. But to answer your question, that was 8 years before I was born.

PS well done on being older than me, quite an achievement. Not your achievement of course, but you have to have something!

Sas_The_Hibby
30-08-2011, 08:01 PM
I get the whole merry go round arguement but the thing that really annoys me is, why did the board decide to stick with the worst one :confused:.

Well they've stuck with CC so far but there's no guarantee he'll last any longer than Hughes, so the 'merry-go-round' could indeed continue. Basically I think we could be damned if we don't get rid and damned if we do. In other words, I don't think there's an easy answer (is there ever?!)

Captain Trips
30-08-2011, 10:01 PM
Really? Do the contracts of all our squad run out at the end of this season - I was not aware of that. Surely some of them will still be in contract, won't they?

Or don't you know?

Where did I say that the whole squad contracts run out? Too many players contracts are too short.

danofire
30-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Where did I say that the whole squad contracts run out? Too many players contracts are too short.

18 contracts up by the end of the season:

Jan '12; Airey & Griffiths
End of season; Murray, Stevenson, Brown, De Graaf, Hart, Towell, Palsson, Sodje, O'Connor, Agogo (and the young lads: Welsh, Taggart, Horner, Crawford, Smith, Handling)

That leaves 11;

end of 12/13; Galbraith, Stack, Wotherspoon, Thornhill, Sproule, O'Hanlon, Osbourne;
end of 13/14; Stephens, Scott
end of 14/15; Booth
and end of 15/16; Hanlon

I know, too much time on my hands.

Captain Trips
30-08-2011, 10:52 PM

End of season; Murray, Stevenson, Brown, De Graaf, Hart, Towell, Palsson, Sodje, O'Connor, Agogo (and the young lads: Welsh, Taggart, Horner, Crawford, Smith, Handling)

That leaves 11;

end of 12/13; Galbraith, Stack, Wotherspoon, Thornhill, Sproule, O'Hanlon, Osbourne;
end of 14/15; Booth
and end of 15/16; Hanlon

Cheers, this sort of thing is IMO a major problem at ER

GreenCastle
31-08-2011, 12:27 AM

That leaves 11;

end of 14/15; Booth
and end of 15/16; Hanlon

This is really worrying...another rebuilding year next year.. ?

Unless the players prove themselves and you offer them extensions - but we thought that last time and the players weren't even bothered strangely :rolleyes:

Sir David Gray
31-08-2011, 12:51 AM

That leaves 11;

end of 14/15; Booth
and end of 15/16; Hanlon

Graham Stack's contract's up at the end of this season as well. His original deal was due to expire at the end of last season and he signed a one year extension.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13583675.stm

zlatan
31-08-2011, 01:31 AM
You missed all three questions, so I have included my comment from before in a bid to get you to answer them. You will also note that I did not say at any stage because I was there that he did not make an erse of the save, can you see that or do you need me to explain?

With regards to cup wins under ET I would think even someone with your apparent level of intelligence would be able to work out where I was. But to answer your question, that was 8 years before I was born.

PS well done on being older than me, quite an achievement. Not your achievement of course, but you have to have something!

Odious.

Moulin Yarns
31-08-2011, 05:19 AM
[QUOTE=Sas_The_Hibby;2903596]

How many times does it need pointed out that CC is not the worst manager we have had. Check the facts. Jim Duffy is the worst we have ever had by a fair distance. Let CC have a chance to play his preferred team consistently before judging him.

Steve-O
31-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Dumbarton - Scottish Cup, 1-9.

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=76

In 1890 :greengrin

A quick look through the stats (http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/team_results_list.php?page=3) is a reminder that it doesnt matter who we get in the cup, we can't expect a win. Ayr Utd, Ross County, Morton - all lower division teams that we should beat.

I've stopped going through the stats as its too depressing.

I know we've lost to garbage teams before, I just didn't think we'd lose to lesser teams than Berwick Rangers! Although in hindsight, you maybe just meant lesser teams (than Hibs). If that's what you meant, then yes, we have lost to 'lesser teams'!

Sas_The_Hibby
31-08-2011, 09:54 AM
[QUOTE=DH1875;2903798]

How many times does it need pointed out that CC is not the worst manager we have had. Check the facts. Jim Duffy is the worst we have ever had by a fair distance. Let CC have a chance to play his preferred team consistently before judging him.

The post you're responding to wasn't mine, BTW, it was DH1875's. There appears to have been a glitch in the system! :wink:

Dashing Bob S
31-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Such a pefect squad
four points from thirty-three
I'm leaving at half-time
for my tea

such a perfect squad
assembled by Col and Rod
must be an act of god
how we're *hite

Oh its such a perfect squad
I want to watch them with youuuu