PDA

View Full Version : Usain Bolt...

CropleyWasGod
28-08-2011, 11:52 AM
..... great showman who screwed up, or disrespectful show-off who got his just desserts?

Discuss.

Twiglet
28-08-2011, 12:11 PM
I've not seen it, just the report on the BBC websiste. They said it might make people call into question the false-start rule, has it changed? Last I knew it was 1 false start then everyone's on a warning then no matter who falses starts they're disqualified. Is that still the case?

Wotherspiniesta
28-08-2011, 12:23 PM
1 false start shouldn't merit a disqualification.

Bolt may be a bit of a showboat but he's undoubtedly brilliant at what he does.

I didn't realise they'd changed the rules but it seems a bit daft to me.

CropleyWasGod
28-08-2011, 12:34 PM
The rule may be daft, but it's there. He knows that..... he also doesn't need to get a fast start, he's that good.

My point was more about his antics before the race, when he was being (IMO) disrespectful to his opponents.

Wotherspiniesta
28-08-2011, 12:40 PM
The rule may be daft, but it's there. He knows that..... he also doesn't need to get a fast start, he's that good.

My point was more about his antics before the race, when he was being (IMO) disrespectful to his opponents.

I didn't actually watch it so can't comment on his actions before the race.

greenlex
29-08-2011, 01:48 PM
I've not seen it, just the report on the BBC websiste. They said it might make people call into question the false-start rule, has it changed? Last I knew it was 1 false start then everyone's on a warning then no matter who falses starts they're disqualified. Is that still the case?

1 false start shouldn't merit a disqualification.

Bolt may be a bit of a showboat but he's undoubtedly brilliant at what he does.

I didn't realise they'd changed the rules but it seems a bit daft to me.

They changed the rules to stop anyone using the rules to their advantage. A quick starter but poor finished could deliberately false start to gain an advantage as strong finishers would be more likely to start slower if they were under penalty of disqualification. The slow starter cant do that now as he is out if he does. Its the same rule for everyone.
Bolt is a strong finisher so there was no need to false start. This time last year he could have given the feild a 5 yard start and still won. There must have been someone in the field he was wary of. I reckon it was his countryman and training partner he was scared of.

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2011, 03:10 PM
They changed the rules to stop anyone using the rules to their advantage. A quick starter but poor finished could deliberately false start to gain an advantage as strong finishers would be more likely to start slower if they were under penalty of disqualification. The slow starter cant do that now as he is out if he does. Its the same rule for everyone.
Bolt is a strong finisher so there was no need to false start. This time last year he could have given the feild a 5 yard start and still won. There must have been someone in the field he was wary of. I reckon it was his countryman and training partner he was scared of.

Is that a factual explanation of why they changed the rules or just your take on it?

greenlex
29-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Is that a factual explanation of why they changed the rules or just your take on it?
I heard them on five live on the way to the game yesterday:greengrin Fact I think.

Scouse Hibee
29-08-2011, 06:49 PM
I heard them on five live on the way to the game yesterday:greengrin Fact I think.

As long as it was pre-pub, I believe you :greengrin