PDA

View Full Version : Calderwood to go if we lose against Hearts?

sbell1875
27-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm just putting this out there to gauge opinion for other Hibees.

After the ICT win today we are now rock bottom of the SPL, albeit with a game in hand, and it got me thinking of the lack of progress under Calderwood.

In my own opinion he was nor is the right man for the job and if things continue as they have been since April or so 12th place is something we may have to get used to.

What are your thoughts fellow Hibees?

SRHibs
27-08-2011, 05:21 PM

After the ICT win today we are now rock bottom of the SPL, albeit with a game in hand, and it got me thinking of the lack of progress under Calderwood.

In my own opinion he was nor is the right man for the job and if things continue as they have been since April or so 12th place is something we may have to get used to.

I think now would be a ridiculous time to empty Calderwood. He's essentially just completed his squad, let's give him some time to gel this new team together. I don't think I can bear yet another 'transition period'. Everyone just needs to have a little patience for the time being.

I'm actually feeling quietly confident about tomorrow anyway.

Sir David Gray
27-08-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't see him getting sacked if we lose tomorrow in a fixture that we lose more often than not anyway, unless we get absolutely hammered.

Westie1875
27-08-2011, 05:25 PM
I don't think anyone should pay any attention to the league table until at least after the 1st full round of fixtures. The only way CC would go would be if we got absolutely hammered, and that just isn't going to happen. I think we will win.

sbell1875
27-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I think now would be a ridiculous time to empty Calderwood. He's essentially just completed his squad, let's give him some time to gel this new team together. I don't think I can bear yet another 'transition period'. Everyone just needs to have a little patience for the time being.

I'm actually feeling quietly confident about tomorrow anyway.

I appreciate where you're coming from but how long is "give him a bit of time" though?

Much the sam as the yams and their excuse for binning Jefferies for a poor run of form dating back 10-11 games or so I don't think we've been any better and we have suffered yet another poor start despite having relatively favourable fixtures.

I'm just sick of the same rubbish in his interviews and his repetitive poor team selections and even worse tactics.

NORTHERNHIBBY
27-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Nah, not for me. If we are still in the same boat come the next derby maybe, but now that this is his team he needs time to show what he can do with them.

sbell1875
27-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Nah, not for me. If we are still in the same boat come the next derby maybe, but now that this is his team he needs time to show what he can do with them.

Who knows though, by that time we could be cut adrift from the teams above us.

With his teams though I just don't see us keeping a lot of clean sheets and GOC is only going to score so many goals and even with Sodje and now Griffiths I can't see us scoring a mesmerising number of goals.

Sir David Gray
27-08-2011, 05:34 PM

The next derby is 4 months away.

If we remain bottom of the league or in that general area, I expect him to be gone by about October/November.

Hermit Crab
27-08-2011, 05:37 PM
I said i would back him for this full season so thats what im going to do. He gets time imo.

Iggy Pope
27-08-2011, 05:41 PM

With his teams though I just don't see us keeping a lot of clean sheets and GOC is only going to score so many goals and even with Sodje and now Griffiths I can't see us scoring a mesmerising number of goals.

Your first 20-odd posts have been really rather miserable haven't they? Really miserable.

Sas_The_Hibby
27-08-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm not convinced by CC yet (not helped by his ambivalent attitude toward staying pre-season) but he has to be given a chance to make use of his new players.

We've changed managers far too often in recent years - and yes I admit I was one of those calling for Hughes to be shown the door just under a year ago (not that I regret it! :wink:).

Sas_The_Hibby
27-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Your first 20-odd posts have been really rather miserable haven't they? Really miserable.

That's okay - this is a HIBS Forum, after all! :greengrin

Iggy Pope
27-08-2011, 05:46 PM
That's okay - this is a HIBS Forum, after all! :greengrin

Agreed. But even the most despairing cynics here show a wee bit of light and shade. Unless Private Fraser here has another agenda! :wink:

tamig
27-08-2011, 05:47 PM

Couldn't agree more. I'm looking forward to seeing this squad develop into a good team over the next few months. Just hope everyone is fit again soon. The manager now has the players he wants now lets see them play.

EasterRoad4Ever
27-08-2011, 05:48 PM

Being bottom of the league brings new pressure and focus by the media on CC's terrible record at Hibs. Above everything, he needs a spirited performance tomorrow and at least a draw - or a lucky win would be just as good. Can't see him being "sacked in the morning" but defeat would chip away at any remaining goodwill he still has at ER.

MSK
27-08-2011, 05:51 PM

What are your thoughts fellow Hibees?Im not thinking about losing to the yams ..im thinking of beating them ..no doubt CC is too ..

thebakerboy
27-08-2011, 06:01 PM

Actually 2 games in hand.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2011, 06:05 PM
Ah the secret of all good comedy - timing
Is there much point to this question other than stirring?

PeterboroHibee
27-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Dont think sacking him after tomorrow would do any good, we have just brought in a lot of new players and they need time to gel together. If come the next window we are bottom, or in serious danger of relegation, then his future may need to be looked at, but given everything thats happened this summer, I imagine the board will stick with him as long as possible.

Im not a fan of CC, wasnt impressed when he was appointed but he is the manager, we need to get behind him and the team and hope that the squad he has assembled can turn things around and start putting in performances and getting results.

hibsbollah
27-08-2011, 06:08 PM

Jeez leave off with the boundless optimism eh? Its getting tiresome now.

We're gonna beat them tomorrow. End of story.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Seriously unless you believe that we have a vlad type scenario with players being bought without managers Approval the board would be mad to sack CC given theyve pretty much backed him as far as they can. It would be folly IMO I think the activity signals the boards intent to be in it for the longhaul with CC.

Cropley10
27-08-2011, 06:12 PM
It will be interesting to see how the Board handle the AGM if, say, we were still propping up the rest of the SPL in 6/7 weeks time.

They've backed him - plenty of players in - some of them with a decent enough pedigree, or at least enough to suggest they're not duds. What we're all looking forward to is seeing how this, his, team develop.

The game last week against St Murn was really a new low in terms of performance and anything approaching guile, so the only was is up, literally, as we can't get any worse, surely.

Time for this Hibs team and our manager to walk the walk, and doing that tomorrow would be a great way to start the revival.

GGTTH

:flag:

lucky
27-08-2011, 06:12 PM
I can't believe how negative some on here are, though I suspect some are yams, Surely our focus should be on getting behind the team and getting the 3 points against the inbreds

hibsbollah
27-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I don't think anyone should pay any attention to the league table until at least after the 1st full round of fixtures. The only way CC would go would be if we got absolutely hammered, and that just isn't going to happen. I think we will win.

In the old days they never even used to print league tables till about 4 games in. Paying attention to league tables in August is ludicrous.

erin go bragh
27-08-2011, 06:19 PM
[QUOTE=sbell1875;2900241]I'm just putting this out there to gauge opinion for other Hibees.

What are your thoughts fellow Hibees?[/QUOTE

2 games in hand on some,dont see the point of this thread tbh as a win at the pbs and we will be above the pink lot with a game in hand :wink: lets be positive ,glass half full and all that.

ggtth

God Petrie
27-08-2011, 06:20 PM
Keep him until Shamrock get emptied out of the Europa then get Michael O'Neill in.

Viva_Palmeiras
27-08-2011, 06:22 PM
I can't believe how negative some on here are, though I suspect some are yams, Surely our focus should be on getting behind the team and getting the 3 points against the inbreds
maybe the op's question is to launch or not to launch ;)

Northernhibee
27-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Calderwood might be tactically naive, but he's got an eye for a bargain - making him better than Yogi on one out of two aspects.

Give him time, the players he is bringing in are of a good quality.

Dashing Bob S
27-08-2011, 06:47 PM
The next derby is 4 months away.

If we remain bottom of the league or in that general area, I expect him to be gone by about October/November.

I'm of the same mind. We need to see some evidence of progress in terms of results/performances by the end of October or there is no point in sticking with him.

We'll be watching the other SPL managers with less time and resources and if they are still outperforming CC then he's a turkey and has to go.

Michael O'Neil is in the Europa League with a club which currently has a turnover of .5 million and stands to make 5 times that from their games, especially if they play them at the Aviva. This should see them dominate Irish domestic football for a decade.

Looks to me like, since he lucked out on Mowbray, RP couldn't pick his nose.

Alfred E Newman
27-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Even if we lose heavily tomorrow I can`t see the board sacking him now or in the next few weeks after letting him bring in players during the summer. If he goes he would have to resign . If we are still at the bottom of the league in a couple of months or so they would have little option.

ekhibee
27-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Bottom line for me is that we will get pumped, and that Calderwood will not get sacked, rightly or wrongly. I've been to see the team twice this season and they've been crap both times, O'Connor is scoring goals at the moment which adds respectability to what looks like a very average team at the moment. Of course the new signings could make a difference, so it would be very silly to sack a manager until they've shown if they can improve the team, but to me the defence still looks crap, and playing some players out of position hasn't helped either. We really need a lot more replacements in my opinion, in most areas,but it ain't gonna happen so that's why, even though it's the derby game tommorrow, I'm really struggling to have any great enthusiasm for it. If we win, great, if we lose, well sadly no great surprise, but they won't sack the manager. Just my opinion.

greenlex
27-08-2011, 07:13 PM

Why not?

James.
27-08-2011, 07:17 PM
We can't keep emptying managers at the rate we have been. We need to keep Calderwood and have a bit of stability and continuity with our current crop of players. FWIW, I think we'll still make top six.

SquashedFrogg
27-08-2011, 07:18 PM

Away back to kid smack.co.uk :bye:

Albion Hibs
27-08-2011, 07:25 PM

I dont think you should be putting it out there.

It is the night before the first derby game of the season and you are asking about emptying the manager. I think it is time to be positive and get behind the team and manager. A win tomorrow would throw us up the table with a game in hand on most teams. In addition a few weeks are required for CC to start getting his team to play.

O'Rourke3
27-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Tried 3 times to reply on the train. Everytime with an apology. Now I'm home and can see "all" LTYF

MrSmith
27-08-2011, 08:00 PM
I dont think you should be putting it out there.

It is the night before the first derby game of the season and you are asking about emptying the manager. I think it is time to be positive and get behind the team and manager. A win tomorrow would throw us up the table with a game in hand on most teams. In addition a few weeks are required for CC to start getting his team to play.

The guys asking a legitimate question! Where is the harm in that? Or are we back to categorising fans and throwing insults about? Again, this is a forum for all Hibs fans to take part in and gauge if opinion is one way or other.

Me personally, no! Do not think the manager will be emptied but time will certainly b against him. I'll be happy with a draw tomorrow but hopefully the team will give us a smile and an indication that they have turned the corner....We can only hope!!

Duffys13
27-08-2011, 08:00 PM
Absolutely no chance! Especially after the players we have brought in, who will be given time to settle in.

Albion Hibs
27-08-2011, 08:05 PM
The guys asking a legitimate question! Where is the harm in that? Or are we back to categorising fans and throwing insults about? Again, this is a forum for all Hibs fans to take part in and gauge if opinion is one way or other.

Me personally, no! Do not think the manager will be emptied but time will certainly b against him. I'll be happy with a draw tomorrow but hopefully the team will give us a smile and an indication that they have turned the corner....We can only hope!!

I guess you are missing the point. The point I was making was timing of this thread, why the night before a derby are some making contingencies for replacing our manager.

You will of course note that the stated this a forum for fans views, that was my view on the basis of your statement does that not mean I am entitled to mine?

MrSmith
27-08-2011, 08:08 PM
I guess you are missing the point. The point I was making was timing of this thread, why the night before a derby are some making contingencies for replacing our manager.

You will of course note that the stated this a forum for fans views, that was my view on the basis of your statement does that not mean I am entitled to mine?

Absolutely but as soon as a potential 'negative' thread or post pops up, you are shouting it down! So maybe you should reflect and consider your last point and be more positive.

Albion Hibs
27-08-2011, 08:12 PM
Absolutely but as soon as a potential 'negative' thread or post pops up, you are shouting it down! So maybe you should reflect and consider your last point and be more positive.

"shouting it down".....is that any different to your comments on a thread, surely regardless I am entitled to my opinion? Or is that not the case if I am being negative towards a negative post.....!

MrSmith
27-08-2011, 08:13 PM
"shouting it down".....is that any different to your comments on a thread, surely regardless I am entitled to my opinion? Or is that not the case if I am being negative towards a negative post.....!

Yes you are as is everyone and your point is?

Albion Hibs
27-08-2011, 08:18 PM
Yes you are as is everyone and your point is?

You have to be kidding........the point and question I was asking you is surely I am entitled to my opinion...you answered that above, so thanks - I have highlighted for clarity. Quite what you are then going to say I have no idea.

MrSmith
27-08-2011, 08:48 PM
You have to be kidding........the point and question I was asking you is surely I am entitled to my opinion...you answered that above, so thanks - I have highlighted for clarity. Quite what you are then going to say I have no idea.

Are you sure? I've highlighted for clarity. So I'll ask again what is your point? Considering you believe your point is more important than others?

Don Giovanni
27-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Dont think sacking him after tomorrow would do any good, we have just brought in a lot of new players and they need time to gel together. If come the next window we are bottom, or in serious danger of relegation, then his future may need to be looked at, but given everything thats happened this summer, I imagine the board will stick with him as long as possible.Im not a fan of CC, wasnt impressed when he was appointed but he is the manager, we need to get behind him and the team and hope that the squad he has assembled can turn things around and start putting in performances and getting results. :agree: with all of the above.

Albion Hibs
27-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Are you sure? I've highlighted for clarity. So I'll ask again what is your point? Considering you believe your point is more important than others?

Where did I say my point was more than important than others? This is getting a bit boring.

MrSmith
27-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Where did I say my point was more than important than others? This is getting a bit boring.

You are right it is.

marleyhib
27-08-2011, 08:54 PM
He didn't come out and say he was commited to Hibs, he wanted away - so **** off .

If he turns it around fine, I hope he does cos I am a Hibbee, if he comes good fantastic.

I would have sacked him last season, direst manager since Duffy.

HNA2
27-08-2011, 08:57 PM
This is getting a bit boring.

You are right it is.

Maybe you could agree to disagree then guys :cool2:

MrSmith
27-08-2011, 08:59 PM

It's cool, I've agreed with him. :wink:

greenlex
27-08-2011, 08:59 PM
But they are agreeing?:confused: :greengrin

Albion Hibs
27-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Okay then....but he started it!

HNA6
27-08-2011, 09:04 PM
Good on ye guy's ..a bit to & fro without personal **** being thrown about ..thats real PMT ..:top marks

R'Albin
27-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Good on ye guy's ..a bit to & fro without personal **** being thrown about ..thats real PMT ..:top marks

What's PMT?

greenlex
27-08-2011, 09:09 PM
What's PMT?
Ive got it. I will not sleep tonight.

Jay
27-08-2011, 09:12 PM
What's PMT?

Yeah Mr 6 whats PMT? :I'm waiti

HFC 0-7
27-08-2011, 09:13 PM
I wouldnt be so sure that the board are backing CC in ways that some think. IMO, the board are wary of what happened before the season started with Calderwood and that maybe a factor of why there has been short term signings and loan signings. CC has brought in 12 players, 8 players in this window. Of those 8, 5 will probably be going at the end of the season or before. Of the 4 brought in over the January window 3 players contracts expire at the end of the season. IMO, this isnt signs that the board are backing him, to me it is a board being cautious because of what has happened previously with new managers inheriting other squads for 2 or 3 years whilst contracts run out. Because of this I think the board can get rid of managers whenever they like and the effects with inheriting someone elses squad are small. Personally I dont think CC will get sacked if we get beat by them tomorrow unless its a massive defeat.

HNA6
27-08-2011, 09:14 PM
What's PMT?

Yeah Mr 6 whats PMT? :I'm waitiPre Match Tension ...no just burdz whae get it !!! :whistle:

greenlex
27-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Yeah Mr 6 whats PMT? :I'm waiti
:greengrin

DH1875
27-08-2011, 09:15 PM
There's no chance the board are gonna sack him :agree:.

R'Albin
27-08-2011, 09:19 PM
Pre Match Tension ...no just burdz whae get it !!! :whistle:

Oh :greengrin

I have it too... :(

Northernhibee
27-08-2011, 09:34 PM
We'll absolutely pump them.

Nae need for pre-match tension :hibees

iwasthere1972
27-08-2011, 10:46 PM

No way. He's practically brought in his own team over the last 10 months and RP won't want to pay compensation in case our fortunes change and Notts Forest come in with an offer to good to turn down.

More chance of the Hearts binning Sergio if they lose.

Captain Trips
27-08-2011, 11:24 PM
He has lost too often to teams I think we should beat, Hearts is not a game to gauge a sacking over, he has lost way too many against teams we should have measure off, all IMO of course.

GreenOnions
27-08-2011, 11:48 PM
I'm of the same mind. We need to see some evidence of progress in terms of results/performances by the end of October or there is no point in sticking with him.

We'll be watching the other SPL managers with less time and resources and if they are still outperforming CC then he's a turkey and has to go.

Michael O'Neil is in the Europa League with a club which currently has a turnover of .5 million and stands to make 5 times that from their games, especially if they play them at the Aviva. This should see them dominate Irish domestic football for a decade.

I was tyring to make sense of the first bit of this post when the last sentence just lost me

Liberal Hibby
28-08-2011, 12:21 AM

Of course a double negative is a positive...

Judas Iscariot
28-08-2011, 12:26 AM
He has lost too often to teams I think we should beat, Hearts is not a game to gauge a sacking over, he has lost way too many against teams we should have measure off, all IMO of course.

Aye, shoulda been punted agesssss ago :agree:

Lucius Apuleius
28-08-2011, 05:16 AM
Absolutely not. He has to be given time with the players he has brought in. We are roughly where I expected us to be at the end of August, if we win, when we win today, we will be higher than I thought. I certainly do not expect us to be in the same position at the end of September.

GGTTH.:flag::flag::hibees:flag::flag:

Septimus
28-08-2011, 06:04 AM
[QUOTE=hibs13681;2900503]I wouldnt be so sure that the board are backing CC in ways that some think. IMO, the board are wary of what happened before the season started with Calderwood and that maybe a factor of why there has been short term signings and loan signings. QUOTE]

The board must be afraid of a repeat of the situation where there were something like 16 very mediochre players ending fairly generous contracts at one time. The signing of short term contracts and loan deals is counter productive as any that are good can bail out in a short time. Team building round short term contracts and loan deals is a waste of time.

Why not offer Calderwood a two way cast iron contract for, say, three years and give the manager full backing throughout that period?

ANDY McGEECHAN
28-08-2011, 06:47 AM
I said i would back him for this full season so thats what im going to do. He gets time imo.

Well said, I think the worlds gone mad. For Gods sake give the the man a year at least.

EasterRoad4Ever
28-08-2011, 06:54 AM
We can't keep emptying managers at the rate we have been. We need to keep Calderwood and have a bit of stability and continuity with our current crop of players. FWIW, I think we'll still make top six.

Think everyone realises that, except Calderwood himself - quite happy to undermine the club's rebuilding job and pre-season with his own selfish agenda.

The Falcon
28-08-2011, 07:09 AM

How many other managers have Hibs had since ET that we look back on their tenure with fond memories and have moved and been successful elsewhere?

Even the much touted Mowbray, when given untold resources way above anyone in this league (even Rangers), made a total pigs ear of it.

Lets let someone finish what they have started for a change.

Dashing Bob S
28-08-2011, 07:16 AM
[/B]

I was tyring to make sense of the first bit of this post when the last sentence just lost me

That was your first big mistake.

Dashing Bob S
28-08-2011, 07:18 AM
How many other managers have Hibs had since ET that we look back on their tenure with fond memories and have moved and been successful elsewhere?

Even the much touted Mowbray, when given untold resources way above anyone in this league (even Rangers), made a total pigs ear of it.

Lets let someone finish what they have started for a change.

Do explain.

The Falcon
28-08-2011, 07:22 AM
Do explain.

Celtic

CentreLine
28-08-2011, 08:54 AM

New poster, negative vibes before the first derby and nobody has accused you of being yam? Let me be the first :jamboid:

CentreLine
28-08-2011, 08:56 AM
:agree:
Well said, I think the worlds gone mad. For Gods sake give the the man a year at least.:agree:

southern hibby
28-08-2011, 09:08 AM
A year on still in the same position. However CC has brought his players in and must be judged on them, tactics and results. I am all for giving him time to let his team gel. We do need stability, LEADERSHIP and most of all time with his players.

If we get beat today and I see fight in the team I can live with that but if there is no team spirit then for me it's time to go. I mean new players should be trying to impress and show that they are up for at least the Darby Match.

I for one hope CC turns things around but he must be under no illussions what is required at HIBS.

GGTTH

jdships
28-08-2011, 09:08 AM

Your timing is really brilliant and just love your positive attitude :confused::yawn:

HFC 0-7
28-08-2011, 10:30 AM
[QUOTE=hibs13681;2900503]I wouldnt be so sure that the board are backing CC in ways that some think. IMO, the board are wary of what happened before the season started with Calderwood and that maybe a factor of why there has been short term signings and loan signings. QUOTE]

The board must be afraid of a repeat of the situation where there were something like 16 very mediochre players ending fairly generous contracts at one time. The signing of short term contracts and loan deals is counter productive as any that are good can bail out in a short time. Team building round short term contracts and loan deals is a waste of time.

Why not offer Calderwood a two way cast iron contract for, say, three years and give the manager full backing throughout that period?

I was just saying that i think the board are wary of what has happened in the past with managers inheriting squads for a few seasons before they can get rid of players, add to that calderwood wanting away during the close season. IMO the board are nervous of that and are backing him in a way that should have effects on the pitch this season but also if he was to leave or be sacked the next manager in doesnt have to wait a long time to empty players. personally I dont think the amount of short terms signings is a good idea as even if CC is still with us next season he will find it difficult trying to build upon this season as he will have to get in another 10 or 11 players, possibly more. With all the short term signings every year we will be starting off the same with many of us asking for patience as the manager has to wait for the team to gel.

Hibernia Na Eir
28-08-2011, 10:41 AM
he may as well walk now then.
I can't see any other result other than a yam win, sadly.

MrSmith
28-08-2011, 11:08 AM
[QUOTE=Septimus;2900671]

I was just saying that i think the board are wary of what has happened in the past with managers inheriting squads for a few seasons before they can get rid of players, add to that calderwood wanting away during the close season. IMO the board are nervous of that and are backing him in a way that should have effects on the pitch this season but also if he was to leave or be sacked the next manager in doesnt have to wait a long time to empty players. personally I dont think the amount of short terms signings is a good idea as even if CC is still with us next season he will find it difficult trying to build upon this season as he will have to get in another 10 or 11 players, possibly more. With all the short term signings every year we will be starting off the same with many of us asking for patience as the manager has to wait for the team to gel.

I think if some show enough then better offers will be made fairly quickly to keep them T Hibs. I'm hoping now, given my concerns re Gary O before he signed, that he will be given a deal to stay on longer so when can build a team around him.

Don't know what is next re team management?? Hoping CC can turn all this around and we become, on the pitch, the team we should be.