PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Maxwell

jamesjamieson
27-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Irish comedian Andrew Maxwell was talking about being a Hibs supporter on Ryan Tubridy (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b013wlp2)'s show on Radio 2 this morning. Mind you he said "Scottish football's great. You can watch a game and say 'I could do that' and you really could." Kick a dog when it's down, why don't you Andrew?

Albion Hibs
27-08-2011, 11:42 AM
He was very funny at Ian Murray's testimonial and did a similar gag, which in fairness was also pretty funny. If he was a hertz fan I would probably raging, but as he is a hibby, he gets a thumbs up from me!

Barney McGrew
27-08-2011, 11:45 AM
He's been nominated for the comedy award at the Fringe this year too

hailhail22
27-08-2011, 11:57 AM
theres a video on youtube and he talks about going to a hibs rangers game, just had a look cant seem to find it.

NadeAteMyLunch!
27-08-2011, 12:05 PM
He's brilliant, so funny. Seen him a few times at the Festival, seen him again two wks ago, quite a lot of football/Hibs content. his story about Hibs v Rangers is that he was down the front of the old Terracin giving the Huns serious abuse then came out the stadium, got lost and ended up in amongst them all. clearly funnier when he's telling it :greengrin His Scottish jakey accent he puts on is outstanding, got some cracking gags about Leith walk as well :agree:

Baw Baggio
27-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Seen him a few times over the years, always hilarious. He often talks about going to hibs games and living in Leith during the festival.

iwasthere1972
27-08-2011, 01:56 PM
theres a video on youtube and he talks about going to a hibs rangers game, just had a look cant seem to find it.

The video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account.

Calvin
27-08-2011, 01:59 PM
The video is no longer available because the uploader has closed their YouTube account.

The routine is on his 'Live in Dublin' DVD if anyone has it!

aberhibsfc
27-08-2011, 04:41 PM
It makes me laugh when people from Ireland laugh at Scottish football. For example Alan Green, yeah, your football is so good that you move lock, stock and barrell to England and fantasize over the EPL and more sycophantically over the England national team.

We maybe don't have the money in England, but you can never say we don't have the passion. When it comes to Hibs or SPL sides, you will more likely see us travel in numbers to the outer reaches of Europe, not to mention the Tartan Army.

It riles me when you see how many millions Sky rake out of Scotland, who then conspire with ESPN to push the price down for showing our football. It's not a monopoly but price fixing is an illegal financial practise and is integrated into most financial insitutions as a no-no. Never forget the court cases involving the big super market chains over milk price fixing.

Sky then throw our money into the pot and then ply it back out to EPL and others. The EPL would always be big, always have more money than us. But some of the clubs/leagues are inflated and over reliant on the TV money, when a club like Burnley with a population lower than ER can acquire a full Scotland international for 3.5m there is something wrong. If they want to know what's killing their international football they only have to look at SKY, EPL, the money and the affordability of high quality, experienced players. The EPL and International team, is it any surprise, talk about wanting your cake and eating it. They've been scouring the Championship for players lately. Their demise is to our International gain, our players leave the SPL early at our clubs expense as we cant compete with Scunny's etc, but our players are there in number with better exposure. Potter is benefitting from this and we have more options than in many a year. Just a shame the SPL suffers as a result.

Bristolhibby
18-11-2019, 08:09 PM
On I’m a celebrity now.

J

Smartie
18-11-2019, 08:33 PM
On I’m a celebrity now.

J

He'll be fine being in close proximity to vicious, foul-smelling beasties given his previous experience with the huns.

Onceinawhile
18-11-2019, 09:10 PM

Remember us? We're the pish guys!

DavieRoy
19-11-2019, 12:38 AM
It makes me laugh when people from Ireland laugh at Scottish football. For example Alan Green, yeah, your football is so good that you move lock, stock and barrell to England and fantasize over the EPL and more sycophantically over the England national team.

We maybe don't have the money in England, but you can never say we don't have the passion. When it comes to Hibs or SPL sides, you will more likely see us travel in numbers to the outer reaches of Europe, not to mention the Tartan Army.

It riles me when you see how many millions Sky rake out of Scotland, who then conspire with ESPN to push the price down for showing our football. It's not a monopoly but price fixing is an illegal financial practise and is integrated into most financial insitutions as a no-no. Never forget the court cases involving the big super market chains over milk price fixing.

Sky then throw our money into the pot and then ply it back out to EPL and others. The EPL would always be big, always have more money than us. But some of the clubs/leagues are inflated and over reliant on the TV money, when a club like Burnley with a population lower than ER can acquire a full Scotland international for 3.5m there is something wrong. If they want to know what's killing their international football they only have to look at SKY, EPL, the money and the affordability of high quality, experienced players. The EPL and International team, is it any surprise, talk about wanting your cake and eating it. They've been scouring the Championship for players lately. Their demise is to our International gain, our players leave the SPL early at our clubs expense as we cant compete with Scunny's etc, but our players are there in number with better exposure. Potter is benefitting from this and we have more options than in many a year. Just a shame the SPL suffers as a result.

*Scottish Premiership!!!

Not as simple as that though.

You seem to make a presumption that everyone that subscribed to Sky in Scotland want to watch Scottish Football. Just cause they make a certain about in Scotland doesn’t translate to that is how much the league should get, it is not a public service broadcaster although we should get more.

Also, our club voted for Setanta in 2008 rather than talking a good Sky deal that could have been worth fortunes now. It was worth fortunes then, more than we get now. Sometimes the clubs have to look at themselves. Sky and BT are PLC’s there to make money from their shareholders not put in more than they have to on any sport. Annoying but true.

JimBHibees
19-11-2019, 05:38 AM
*Scottish Premiership!!!

You seem to make a presumption that everyone that subscribed to Sky in Scotland want to watch Scottish Football. Just cause they make a certain about in Scotland doesn’t translate to that is how much the league should get, it is not a public service broadcaster although we should get more.

Also, our club voted for Setanta in 2008 rather than talking a good Sky deal that could have been worth fortunes now. It was worth fortunes then, more than we get now. Sometimes the clubs have to look at themselves. Sky and BT are PLC’s there to make money from their shareholders not put in more than they have to on any sport. Annoying but true.

The other side of that is that Sky executives then clearly went out of their way not to give the league its proper value and undermine it.

huggie1875
19-11-2019, 06:21 AM
great comedian :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Barman Stanton
19-11-2019, 08:45 AM

In this instance its just a comedian making a joke. Scottish football cant be that bad if Maxwell not only watches games when he is up here, but openly supports Hibs.

J-C
19-11-2019, 10:14 AM
In this instance its just a comedian making a joke. Scottish football cant be that bad if Maxwell not only watches games when he is up here, but openly supports Hibs.

Pretty sure he was a Celtic fan initially family supports them but hated all the bigotry involved, chose Hibs because he was here years ago in the Festival and started going to a few games, no bigotry nonsense.

Turkish Green
19-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Pretty sure he was a Celtic fan initially family supports them but hated all the bigotry involved, chose Hibs because he was here years ago in the Festival and started going to a few games, no bigotry nonsense.

As his family is Church of Ireland, I very much doubt he would go down the Anthony Stokes route.

J-C
19-11-2019, 11:44 AM
As his family is Church of Ireland, I very much doubt he would go down the Anthony Stokes route.

Obviously a wee story that grew legs, I always wondered why he supported Hibs and assumed the story I heard was fair. He does a brilliant Leith accent in his joke about the Rangers fans he bumped into after a game during the Festival.

hibby rae
19-11-2019, 11:50 AM
I was chatting to him once and asked him what he thought of Edinburgh. He said he loved it except Gorgie, Gorgie was the 'armpit of Edinburgh'. 😂

He made a good point. You go anywhere in the city you'll always have a view. Niddrie has Arthurs Seat, Granton has the Forth etc. But in Gorgie all you get is the sky.

I didn't even mention to him I was a Hibs supporter!

SideBurns
19-11-2019, 12:03 PM
I met him coming out of Ibrox after Ivan's hat-trick; he was wearing the same green, white & gold Boston Fightin Irish jacket he'd worn in the story about getting stuck with a bunch of Huns going up ER. I said to him, "Ye didnae learn yer lesson, eh?". They were raging that day tae - I went as incognito as possible, but was still a nervous man walking back to Glesgae Queen Street.

Recall Maxwell saying he wanted to support a Scottish team with an Irish background, and Hibs fitted the bill perfectly for him.

Bristolhibby
19-11-2019, 04:11 PM
Was over in Ireland for the rugby must have been about 15 years ago and Hibs we’re playing Celtic the next day. Met up with a load of Dublin Hibs to watch the game. A surprising amount of Irish, who didn’t go all in for the bigotry nonsense, but Hibs “Irishness” appealed to them.

J

Winston Ingram
20-11-2019, 06:27 AM
*Scottish Premiership!!!

This. The perception that Scottish fans fund English football is ridiculous. There are around 800,000 Sky subscribers in Scotland and that's not Sky Sports, that's just Sky.

Yorkshire HFC
20-11-2019, 06:35 AM
Was over in Ireland for the rugby must have been about 15 years ago and Hibs we’re playing Celtic the next day. Met up with a load of Dublin Hibs to watch the game. A surprising amount of Irish, who didn’t go all in for the bigotry nonsense, but Hibs “Irishness” appealed to them.

J

For me, Hibs aren't Irish - they are an Edinburgh football team. I supported them because I lived in Edinburgh and my dad used to take me.

bigwheel
20-11-2019, 06:40 AM
For me, Hibs aren't Irish - they are an Edinburgh football team. I supported them because I lived in Edinburgh and my dad used to take me.

We all have our personal relationship with our club - Assuming you would acknowledge there is Irish heritage in our history though ?

Yorkshire HFC
20-11-2019, 07:59 AM
We all have our personal relationship with our club - Assuming you would acknowledge there is Irish heritage in our history though ?

To be honest, I've no idea. I was always a bit bemused in the 80s when people used to take tri-colours and sing songs about another country. I never saw the relevance - I don't think it made Alan Sneddon play any better!

bigwheel
20-11-2019, 08:50 AM
To be honest, I've no idea. I was always a bit bemused in the 80s when people used to take tri-colours and sing songs about another country. I never saw the relevance - I don't think it made Alan Sneddon play any better!

Ok. That’s cool - you’ve not read about the history of the club in its formative years ?

Anyway, Snoddy was mercurial wasn’t he - sometime the boo boys target and occasionally wonderful - a better player than most recognised at the time . Must have played a decent amount of games for us ...

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2019, 02:39 PM

Same as me,Hibs are no more Irish than I am.

They are a Scottish team with Irish roots but never the less they are a Scottish team.

I am an Englishman with Irish roots and an Irish surname but never the less I am English.

The Harp Awakes
20-11-2019, 02:54 PM

An Edinburgh football team with Irish roots. Open to all creeds, colours and races. No exclusions. All welcome

bigwheel
20-11-2019, 03:02 PM
An Edinburgh football team with Irish roots. Open to all creeds, colours and races. No exclusions. All welcome

Perfect summary for me [emoji106]

Scouse Hibee
20-11-2019, 03:04 PM

I like that.

J-C
20-11-2019, 04:44 PM
We stopped being an Irish orientated club when we moved to Leith and became a community club circa 1891-93, players didn't have to be members of the Catholic Young Mens Society.

superfurryhibby
20-11-2019, 04:49 PM
We stopped being an Irish orientated club when we moved to Leith and became a community club circa 1891-93, players didn't have to be members of the Catholic Young Mens Society.

Not really. The club’s ownership was exclusively in the hands of Edinburgh Irish- Irish families well into the 1930’s. I think Harry Swan was the first non-Catholic director, appointed in the 30’s. You’re right about the players though. However, the club still had a strong Irish identity long after 1891-93.

J-C
20-11-2019, 04:53 PM
Not really. The club’s ownership was exclusively in the hands of Edinburgh Irish- Irish families well into the 1930’s. I think Harry Swan was the first non-Catholic director, appointed in the 30’s. You’re right about the players though. However, the club still had a strong Irish identity long after 1891-93.

Don't get me wrong, they did but moving to Leith started the ball rolling to be more community like, no matter what we are now, our roots will always be there.

HibbyAndy
20-11-2019, 04:55 PM
Back on topic , He's doing quite well in the jungle :greengrin

erin go bragh
20-11-2019, 05:42 PM

Stuck a £10 on him to win at 16-1 but he’s now 33-1 :(

offshorehibby
20-11-2019, 06:28 PM
FFS i only agreed to watch it with the misses cause he's a Hibby, he still needs to deck Ian Wright though.

theonlywayisup
20-11-2019, 09:21 PM
Wonder if Wright will talk about his time at Celtic. Did he ever play against the Hibs?

From his Wiki page - Whilst at Celtic, Wright became involved in a campaign by some fans calling for the removal of manager, John Barnes. Celtic's performances had been poor. Wright, Barnes and Regi Blinker were considered by some to be not sufficiently talented to improve the club. Wright and Blinker were consequently abused by some Celtic fans. Wright said of the incidents, "I felt I was caught up in a war crisis in Kosovo not involved in a football result that wrecked John Barnes' career as Celtic manager." "Some so-called fans, a few morons who know nothing better, covered my car in spit, they were shouting obscenities at myself and Regi Blinker."

The Pointer
20-11-2019, 10:24 PM

Perfect summary for me, except my dad didn't take me. Was born in Leith though which gives me an element of satisfaction.

Carheenlea
21-11-2019, 11:46 AM
Out of all the celebrity contestants this year I have only heard of two of them - Andrew Maxwell and Ian Wright.
A combination of approaching middle age, not reading newspapers or watching much mainstream TV.

danhibees1875
21-11-2019, 11:59 AM
Out of all the celebrity contestants this year I have only heard of two of them - Andrew Maxwell and Ian Wright.
A combination of approaching middle age, not reading newspapers or watching much mainstream TV.

I thought I was bad with celebrities, but I knew of 6! :greengrin

Kato
21-11-2019, 03:37 PM

Hibs played at ER for quite a while before 1891, dunno if Drum Park was in Leith at the time. Rather than a "Community Club" (I don't quite get what that means) we became a Professional club so membership of an amateur sporting association was a bit outdated.

jacomo
21-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Has he mentioned Hibs yet?

J-C
21-11-2019, 05:00 PM
Hibs played at ER for quite a while before 1891, dunno if Drum Park was in Leith at the time. Rather than a "Community Club" (I don't quite get what that means) we became a Professional club so membership of an amateur sporting association was a bit outdated.

Going by Wiki it says a lease on the Easter Rd site was acquired in late 1892 and played their first match on 4th Feb 1893.

Community simply means we moved away from players having to be from the Young Catholic Men's Society and moved to become a Leith based club, the Irish roots were there for many years afterwards but have slowly became an East of Edinburgh based team.

Purple & Green
21-11-2019, 05:40 PM
Going by Wiki it says a lease on the Easter Rd site was acquired in late 1892 and played their first match on 4th Feb 1893.

Community simply means we moved away from players having to be from the Young Catholic Men's Society and moved to become a Leith based club, the Irish roots were there for many years afterwards but have slowly became an East of Edinburgh based team.

Hibs played near Easter Road from 1880 onwards.

ahibby
21-11-2019, 05:41 PM

Wearong green

Kato
22-11-2019, 11:17 AM

The site your are talking about was the 2nd ground at Easter Road, the 1st Hibs played was in between the current ground and the supporters club on Sunnyside. Under the Bridge of Doom to be exact.

Never heard the term "Community" to describe the club like that. Seems to me they were a Community Club when players had to from the membership of the CYMS - Hibs became a Professional Club run along business lines from 1893.

Sorry to be so nit-picky on every point but we were never a "Leith based club" at any time. Even after the 2nd ER was opened the club was still run from the club rooms on St Mary Street where we had been based from the beginning. Michael Whelahan and Owen Brannigan from the original Hibs team being very much hands on.

I think the boundary has changed a few times so sometimes the ground has been in Leith and sometimes in Edinburgh but Hibs are from Edinburgh and always have been.