PDA

View Full Version : Jackie McNamara (Senior) Interview in Scotsman

YehButNoBut
27-08-2011, 06:47 AM
Great 5 page interview with Jackie in todays Scotsman, some great memories of his time at Hibs and Eddie Turnbull, also that cup final in 1979 which went to 3 games with Rangers, still can't believe we lost that.

http://sport.scotsman.com/football/Interview-Jackie-McNamara-snr-Hibs.6826107.jp?articlepage=1

Broken Gnome
27-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Not to crush the inevitable air of nostalgia, but two things from that are...

Hibs drove him to drink.
And Tony Higgins, future figurehead of the PFA, was one of the major bad influences.

Rotten to the core, Petrie etc etc

:greengrin

weecounty hibby
27-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Not to crush the inevitable air of nostalgia, but two things from that are...

Hibs drove him to drink.
And Tony Higgins, future figurehead of the PFA, was one of the major bad influences.

Rotten to the core, Petrie etc etc

:greengrin
1. Hibs have driven a lot of us to drink.
2. Watching Tony Higgins was a bad influence on us as well.

YehButNoBut
27-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Liked the comments below re Ally McLeod, remember him well very skillful player. Wonder if Scott & Welsh resolved their differences in the same way. :greengrin

From his new position, though, he could admire the languid skills of Ally McLeod and Ralph Callachan up ahead. "I'll never forget Ally's twice-taken free kick against Dundee. He popped the ball in one corner but the referee ordered a re-take after Cammy Fraser and Chic McLelland encroached. This time he put it in the other corner, turned and smiled and said: ‘That's what I get paid for.'

A fantastic player and a great friend, although we didn't hit it off right away. Against Strasbourg in the Uefa Cup he'd given me pelters all night for not passing to him. He was still at it in the dressing-room so I booted a ball which smacked him in the face. ‘That's the first time you've found me all night,' he said, and we started scrapping. Differences were settled over a couple of pints on Leith Walk."

BT58
27-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Used to love going to his pubs in mussy
Him and ralphy were great mine hosts
Although he played for the tic,, i believe his fondest
memories where at the cabbage
A true GENTLEMAN

Newry Hibs
27-08-2011, 10:01 AM
The article mentions a World Record series of draws - I see from the 1976/77 table that we drew half the 36 games. Is that really a record?
Also nice to see who finished 9th (and were relegated).

CropleyWasGod
27-08-2011, 11:12 AM
The article mentions a World Record series of draws - I see from the 1976/77 table that we drew half the 36 games. Is that really a record?
Also nice to see who finished 9th (and were relegated).

I remember one sequence of draws.... maybe this one... where one (long-forgotten) journalist coined a superb phrase. "Hibs' form this season looks like the back of a Rich Tea biscuit. 1-1 1-1 1-1. "