PDA

View Full Version : Pat Nevin Interview in the Guardian

Baw187
26-08-2011, 12:33 PM
You won't hear many people say this about the manky Gorgie lot.

You're a Chelsea fan, aren't you? I like all my old clubs - Chelsea, Everton ... I have a season ticket at Hibernian for the pure love of their concept of the game.

Another applaudable comment...

Did you fall out of love with Celtic? That was for a different reason. That was all to do with the sectarianism. I have no great dislike or hatred, you don't have that about a club you supported for 35 years, but I found myself sitting beside people who were saying things that I was very uncomfortable with politically and morally.

Lofarl
26-08-2011, 12:53 PM
Good one pat.

Dan Sarf
26-08-2011, 01:02 PM
He too believes that for teams to be successful they should have a playmaker: "...that's the absolute core of the team, the player who's certainly the most creative. The best player, the one that's going to be able to see everything..."

Be delighted to be proved wrong - but I still don't think we've got one.

EK_Hibs
26-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I have a season ticket at Hibernian for the pure love of their concept of the game.

Respect to Pat Nevin for saying that but he's obviously not been watching us lately!!!

Rattler
26-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Slightly off topic, but I've seen Pat a few times at the David Lloyd at the Gyle - take it he stays through this neck of the woods?

There wouldn't really be much choice anyway if it came to watching us or the other lot.

Part/Time Supporter
26-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Slightly off topic, but I've seen Pat a few times at the David Lloyd at the Gyle - take it he stays through this neck of the woods?

There wouldn't really be much choice anyway if it came to watching us or the other lot.

Not really, I think he stays in or near Duns.

Andy74
26-08-2011, 03:50 PM
You won't hear many people say this about the manky Gorgie lot.

You're a Chelsea fan, aren't you? I like all my old clubs - Chelsea, Everton ... I have a season ticket at Hibernian for the pure love of their concept of the game.

Another applaudable comment...

Did you fall out of love with Celtic? That was for a different reason. That was all to do with the sectarianism. I have no great dislike or hatred, you don't have that about a club you supported for 35 years, but I found myself sitting beside people who were saying things that I was very uncomfortable with politically and morally.

More to the point, who gave you a Guardian to read?

RIP
26-08-2011, 03:51 PM
Does anybody know if the Pat Nevin on Facebook is him or a spoof?

7Hero
26-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Played golf w oat yesterday its not his Facebook account. Also he isvery fond if hibs

Lovely guy

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

aliman82
26-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Not really, I think he stays in or near Duns.
Not to be an internet stalker, but aye- Pat lives in Duns in the Scottish Borders. Nice guy to speak to.

PapillonVert
26-08-2011, 04:53 PM
Respect to Pat Nevin for saying that but he's obviously not been watching us lately!!!

Hi, EK_Hibs,

I think the operative word in Pat's quote is "concept".

No matter what happens on the pitch - and my God, we Hibbies are tested to the extreme and put through the wringer far more than we deserve - the whole idea of HFC and why we support the club is our belief that football should be played in a certain way.

It's an ideal to which we aspire and which we believe is what the essence of football should be. The fact that our team so often fails to live up to the ideal does not negate the validity of that ideal in any way.

That's how I see it.

Baw187
26-08-2011, 05:33 PM
More to the point, who gave you a Guardian to read?

I wan't reading it. A colleague read it online and pointed it out to me!

I'm strictly tabloid as you well know!

erin go bragh
26-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Hi, EK_Hibs,

No matter what happens on the pitch - and my God, we Hibbies are tested to the extreme and put through the wringer far more than we deserve - the whole idea of HFC and why we support the club is our belief that football should be played in a certain way.

It's an ideal to which we aspire and which we believe is what the essence of football should be. The fact that our team so often fails to live up to the ideal does not negate the validity of that ideal in any way.

That's how I see it.
Agree 100% :top marks
ggtth

sesoim
27-08-2011, 03:15 AM
Hi, EK_Hibs,

That's how I see it.

If that was the only reason I started supporting Hibs (in 1985), I would have given up on them during the Alex Miller years! Personally, I just want to see exciting football, as opposed to football being played the"right way".

CFC
27-08-2011, 03:42 AM
Good interview that, respect the guy to bits. Spoke out against racism at Chelsea when it would have been a lot easier to say nothing, skilfull wee player who didnt dive, thoughtful and polite character, I got an old Chelsea programme signed by him when he was at Tranmere and he spoke to me and my Dad with no airs and graces. Hes always been a credit to the game and a Hibby to boot - legend in my eyes.

PapillonVert
27-08-2011, 08:37 PM
If that was the only reason I started supporting Hibs (in 1985), I would have given up on them during the Alex Miller years! Personally, I just want to see exciting football, as opposed to football being played the"right way".

I didn't realise they were mutually exclusive. In fact, I thought if football was exciting, you must be playing it the "right way". And, if you were playing it the "right way", it would be exciting....

No??