PDA

View Full Version : Tims to Be Reinstated??

Sylar
26-08-2011, 11:12 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14679531.stm

"According to a UEFA insider, FC Sion look likely to be tossed from the Europa League....[as a result of claims they fielded ineligible players]".

****ing hope not!!!!

NOLA
26-08-2011, 11:14 AM
IT'S a CONSPIRACY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hibernian Verse
26-08-2011, 11:19 AM
Why do you hope not? :confused: We need teams in Europe, I don't care how they stay in the competition.

Hermit Crab
26-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Clutching at straws as usual.

Part/Time Supporter
26-08-2011, 11:31 AM

"According to a UEFA insider, FC Sion look likely to be tossed from the Europa League....[as a result of claims they fielded ineligible players]".

****ing hope not!!!!

In fairness to them (cough, spit) this has been rumbling on for months about Sion. They definitely violated the punishment that was issued by signing the players during the embargo. The question is whether that is legally enforceable. Sion are trying to use the law against football law to wriggle out of a situation of their own making.

Sylar
26-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Why do you hope not? :confused: We need teams in Europe, I don't care how they stay in the competition.

Because over 2 legs, they proved they weren't good enough to compete with a team who beat them comfortably.

If they had gone through on merit, then fair enough, but to see Celtc getting through on a "technicality" would be them all over.

If there was any doubt about FC Sion or their players, they shouldn't have been allowed to start the second leg - they should have kicked them out after the leg at Porkheid, where the same players took to the field!

Hibs Class
26-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Most teams will deal with defeat by licking their wounds and trying to get better. Celtic's recent response has been to pull out the rule book and argue for a ruling in their favour (whether it's Europe, Lennon's touchline bans, etc.)

If they were to benefit from Sion's expulsion by being reinstated that's one thing, for them to be writing to UEFA in protest (and obviously agitating for Sion's expulsion) that's quite another thing. That's why I hope they fail and Sion are e.g.fined, made to play matches behind closed doors etc. rather than allowing a well-beaten Celtic to progress.

Hibernian Verse
26-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Most teams will deal with defeat by licking their wounds and trying to get better. Celtic's recent response has been to pull out the rule book and argue for a ruling in their favour (whether it's Europe, Lennon's touchline bans, etc.)

If they were to benefit from Sion's expulsion by being reinstated that's one thing, for them to be writing to UEFA in protest (and obviously agitating for Sion's expulsion) that's quite another thing. That's why I hope they fail and Sion are e.g.fined, made to play matches behind closed doors etc. rather than allowing a well-beaten Celtic to progress.

And if it was us with a chance of being reinstated, would it be ok then? I'm all for this. It's embarrassing having all three teams knocked out last night although in fairness we can't fault Hearts, they got an unlucky draw. I spent most of last night convincing my Rangers supporting mate that Maribor are actually a very good team, but the fact still remains that Rangers should have put them to bed at Ibrox. Celtic are in the same boat. They lost, but there's a chance of being reinstated and the fact remains that for our country to improve in the future we need a good coefficient to give teams like US the chance to qualify for Europe.

Dinkydoo
26-08-2011, 12:02 PM
Celtic were well and truely beaten; they don't deserve to go through.

Hibs Class
26-08-2011, 12:09 PM
And if it was us with a chance of being reinstated, would it be ok then? I'm all for this. It's embarrassing having all three teams knocked out last night although in fairness we can't fault Hearts, they got an unlucky draw. I spent most of last night convincing my Rangers supporting mate that Maribor are actually a very good team, but the fact still remains that Rangers should have put them to bed at Ibrox. Celtic are in the same boat. They lost, but there's a chance of being reinstated and the fact remains that for our country to improve in the future we need a good coefficient to give teams like US the chance to qualify for Europe.

No - it would be embarrassing.

Sylar
26-08-2011, 12:09 PM

Them being reinstated on a technicality will NOT improve our current predicament. They weren't good enough to beat Sion, and won't get a coefficient boosting result by being reinstated. If they couldn't beat Sion, they'll get utterly beasted by the many better teams who would lie in wait in the next stage.

Them obtaining £5 million they didn't earn and a second chance at European football because UEFA didn't take action in advance of the tie (as UEFA knew about the Sion issues LONG before the first leg kicked off) isn't a solution to anything!

Dirkster23
26-08-2011, 12:54 PM
Them being reinstated on a technicality will NOT improve our current predicament. They weren't good enough to beat Sion, and won't get a coefficient boosting result by being reinstated. If they couldn't beat Sion, they'll get utterly beasted by the many better teams who would lie in wait in the next stage.

Them obtaining £5 million they didn't earn and a second chance at European football because UEFA didn't take action in advance of the tie (as UEFA knew about the Sion issues LONG before the first leg kicked off) isn't a solution to anything!

I'm no fan of the Club, but you seem to have a real problem with Celtc.

Any points they pick up in the group stages will improve Scotlands coefficient. Do you honestly think they won't pick up any, especially at home?

It seems clear that UEFA couldn't take any action against Sion until their appeals had been heard in various courts. Now that's done and they've agreed with UEFA its down to their Control and Disciplinary Board to decide their fate.

Sylar
26-08-2011, 01:06 PM

Any points they pick up in the group stages will improve Scotlands coefficient. Do you honestly think they won't pick up any, especially at home?

It seems clear that UEFA couldn't take any action against Sion until their appeals had been heard in various courts. Now that's done and they've agreed with UEFA its down to their Control and Disciplinary Board to decide their fate.

I do have a problem with them, aye - if Celtc were so bothered about this, why did THEY wait until they had been papped out before anything was mentioned? The amount of times they've resorted to chasing legal loopholes of late or whining to the authorities about various perceived injustices is enough to make ANYONE have a real issue with them.

UEFA's representatives, including Michel Platini, have already stated that the outcome of the court appeal will have no bearing on UEFA policy, so the last point doesn't wash to be honest.

Dirkster23
26-08-2011, 01:22 PM
I do have a problem with them, aye - if Celtc were so bothered about this, why did THEY wait until they had been papped out before anything was mentioned? The amount of times they've resorted to chasing legal loopholes of late or whining to the authorities about various perceived injustices is enough to make ANYONE have a real issue with them.

UEFA's representatives, including Michel Platini, have already stated that the outcome of the court appeal will have no bearing on UEFA policy, so the last point doesn't wash to be honest.

It was known before the first leg that Sion had appeals in the courts and a decision wouldn't be known until after the second leg. If memory serves me right, UEFA stated back then that they wouldn't be making a decision until the Court of Arbitration for Sport had heard the case. That now appears to have happend and they've agreed with UEFA.

Celtc could only complain to UEFA once Sion had played the players concerned.

Jim44
26-08-2011, 01:26 PM
Who cares if Celtic get through by default? The records show that they were well and truly humped by a pub team and can only lead to their mounting self doubt.

ps If they're lucky enough to get through this time, it will be an even greater embarrassment when they get cuffed in the next round.

Stevie Reid
26-08-2011, 02:01 PM
If Sion have cheated then I have no problem with Celtic being reinstated. Plenty folk on here complain about Hearts cheating and not being punished for it.

The Sea-gull
26-08-2011, 02:25 PM
When the Turkish team got withdrawn from the champs league the other night they were replaced by another Turkish team.

Would this not mean if Sion are removed then another Swiss team goes in?

Or does it make a difference because the Turks were withdrawn by their FA and Sion may be withdrawn by UEFA?

hibiedude
26-08-2011, 03:06 PM

****ing hope not!!!!

Reinstated or not Celtic in Europe this season will be short lived

Joe Baker II
26-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Even if Celtic did not appeal they were always in a chance with being reinstated as Sion issue was known about before the game. And would they have beaten Celtic without the ineligible players whom they chose to play despite knowing there was a risk of expulsion?

Glad there are some less-paranoid Hibs fans on here who are recognising that we would want to go through in same situation.

Hibs Class
26-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Even if Celtic did not appeal they were always in a chance with being reinstated as Sion issue was known about before the game. And would they have beaten Celtic without the ineligible players whom they chose to play despite knowing there was a risk of expulsion?

Glad there are some less-paranoid Hibs fans on here who are recognising that we would want to go through in same situation.

:confused: I'm not sure that a dislike for Celtic or a contempt for how they conduct themselves is reflective of paranoia. Maybe it's just because they're not a very nice club?

lEXO
26-08-2011, 04:45 PM
The same thing has happened in the scottish cup a few times. A team has fielded ineligible players,they are chucked out and the team they beat replaces them.
Sion knew there was a chance this could happen, and if they dont follow the rules why should they go through. No fan of Celtic but dont see what they have done wrong here.
It,s UEFA who make and enforce the rules.

ancient hibee
26-08-2011, 05:07 PM
Who cares if Celtic get through by default? The records show that they were well and truly humped by a pub team and can only lead to their mounting self doubt.

ps If they're lucky enough to get through this time, it will be an even greater embarrassment when they get cuffed in the next round.

Describing a decent Swiss team as a pub team is a good demonstration of the delusions of grandeur that afflict Scottish fans.Surely there is no next round-is it not a league section now?The owner of Sion makes Vlad look normal.

greenlex
26-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Celtic will go on to win the Europa league. The headline writers this morning and the scottish football naysayers will be left with egg on their faces.

cabbageandribs1875
26-08-2011, 05:09 PM

noticed this on more than a few occasions :wink:

The same thing has happened in the scottish cup a few times. A team has fielded ineligible players,they are chucked out and the team they beat replaces them.
Sion knew there was a chance this could happen, and if they dont follow the rules why should they go through. No fan of Celtic but dont see what they have done wrong here.
It,s UEFA who make and enforce the rules.

exactly :agree: and they still stuck two fingers up, incredibly stupid even with just a threat hanging over them, if a scottish team benefits then good.

p.s. can i just add, i dont class hertz as a scottish club, they are a lithuanian club with permission to play in scotland, that is all ta :greengrin

Saorsa
26-08-2011, 05:39 PM

Glad there are some less-paranoid Hibs fans on here who are recognising that we would want to go through in same situation.Paranoid? :hilarious nah, I just hate the ****. Nor can I be ersed with OF sympathisers like you, particularly when you're more than happy tae continually take swipes at Hibs.

Kaiser1962
26-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Paranoid? :hilarious nah, I just hate the ****. Nor can I be ersed with OF sympathisers like you, particularly when you're more than happy tae continually tae swipes at Hibs.

Stop sitting on the fence Dan and say what you mean! :greengrin

Celtic got beaten and well beaten at that. I dont think they should embarass the nation any further and just let it go.

NOLA
26-08-2011, 05:51 PM
Sion should have played the ties without the players bought in after the transfer embargo, then if they had still won, there would be no problem,

erin go bragh
26-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Reinstated or not Celtic in Europe this season will be short lived
Six games is hardly short lived , wish it was us !
ggtth

Torres
26-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Technically Celtic should be given a reprive into the group stages :furious:

Luckily if they are given such a thing they are going to get humped in the group stages and will be lucky to finish 3rd :thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
26-08-2011, 07:22 PM
What are Vale of Leven saying about this?

hibeedonald
26-08-2011, 07:30 PM
Sion's own fault, they knew what they were doing, want celtic to get through and hopefully they can win a few games so in future we dont have to come second to get into europe!

Sir David Gray
26-08-2011, 07:38 PM
I hate Celtic as much as anyone on here but I think they have a valid claim for getting reinstated.

Sion have apparently defied a ban on them signing any players and not only that but they went on to play those players in matches.

I don't see any other outcome to this other than Celtic being reinstated and Sion being kicked out.

Torres
26-08-2011, 07:41 PM
Sion's own fault, they knew what they were doing, want celtic to get through and hopefully they can win a few games so in future we dont have to come second to get into europe!

That's not likely at all. The majority of clubs in Europe get 4 teams qualifying for Europe every season, it just means going in at earlier rounds. If anything it means teams outside the OF should progress and maybe get 2/3 ties before being knocked out. Don't be fooled into thinking that our co-efficient makes a big difference to any team outside the OF. They are the ones that NEED automatic qualification to the CL group stages. Europe for any other team is a bonus and something for the fans to look forward to.

bighairyfaeleith
26-08-2011, 08:14 PM
I ****ing hate celtic

I ****ing hate lennon

Thats all i want to say!

grunt
27-08-2011, 04:07 AM
http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/sport/Platini-gives-clear-hint-that.6826123.jp

It now seems highly likely that Neil Lennon's side, despite their 3-1 loss in Sion on Thursday night, will take the place of their vanquishers in a section that would pit them against Atletico Madrid, Udinese and Stade Rennais.

Hibbyradge
27-08-2011, 07:18 AM
If they had gone through on merit, then fair enough, but to see Celtc getting through on a "technicality" would be them all over.

Have Celtic got form for this sort of thing?

They beat Celtic over 2 legs because they fielded 5 ineligible players. That's cheating.

"Celtic have written to European football's governing body protesting at the inclusion in the Sion squad of five players deemed by Uefa to be ineligible and a hearing expected on Tuesday."

Dashing Bob S
27-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Celtic are Tom Kite and will achieve nothing in the knockouts except get about five million quid, but Sion have only themselves to blame for being stupid. Rules is rules. However, it's a bit embarrassing for Celtic to get in this way, after being royally humped.

Jim44
27-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Describing a decent Swiss team as a pub team is a good demonstration of the delusions of grandeur that afflict Scottish fans.Surely there is no next round-is it not a league section now?The owner of Sion makes Vlad look normal.

I'm only quoting the description of two or three Celtic minded journos. They could come from Israel for all I know. I suppose from Celtic's lofty perspective they rate as a pub team. :greengrin

ps - you're right, it's now a mini-league situation where Celtic will hold up the rest.

carnoustiehibee
27-08-2011, 08:02 AM
Footballs governing body are based in switzerland

Sion play there football in switzerland.

No further questions, your honor.

Steve20
27-08-2011, 08:06 AM
Celtic got beat, so they are out. That should be that.

Kaiser1962
27-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Have Celtic got form for this sort of thing?

They beat Celtic over 2 legs because they fielded 5 ineligible players. That's cheating.

"Celtic have written to European football's governing body protesting at the inclusion in the Sion squad of five players deemed by Uefa to be ineligible and a hearing expected on Tuesday."

I would expect Sion to be fined if guilty. I dont think they will be kicked out.

Leithenhibby
27-08-2011, 08:59 AM
"It's Cheating" not one, but FIVE players that shouldn't have even been in the squad, let alone on the pitch .... :rolleyes:

Celtic to go through after tuesdays meeting.

Hibercelona
27-08-2011, 09:39 AM
Lets be clear here.

They broke the rules and Celtic are complaining about it. Truly beaten or not, thats not the point. FC Sion broke the rules, so selick have every right to complain about this one.

Besides..... If the same thing happened to us, we all know that big mental Rodders would have his tashe stuck right into the rule book. :wink:

greenginger
27-08-2011, 09:51 AM
As I read it the dispute is about the length of the transfer ban. Sion seem to be disputing the meaning of the " two transfer window " ban that was imposed.

I don't know what their argument is but if there is genuine ambiguity in the wording of EUFA's communication of the ban to Sion a court should find against the party guilty of the ambiguity.

Here's hoping anyway! :aok:

Moody Mulder
27-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Paranoid? :hilarious nah, I just hate the ****. Nor can I be ersed with OF sympathisers like you, particularly when you're more than happy tae continually take swipes at Hibs.

same here Dan, looking at some posts in here you'd think there were closet tic fans on this board masquerading as hibs supporters, who in thier right mind wants any team other than hibs to do well? increasing scotland co-efficient???? don't make me laugh why should we hope the old firm do well in europe? ........ so they can get even more money and the gulf between the smellies and the rest of us gets bigger,, yeah right !!!

CropleyWasGod
27-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Celtic got beat, so they are out. That should be that.

So... your kid plays in an Under-10 cup tie. The other team include 5 12 year olds, and win easily.

What's your attitude? "They got beat, so they are out. That should be that."??

Leithenhibby
27-08-2011, 12:00 PM
So... your kid plays in an Under-10 cup tie. The other team play 5 12 year olds, and win easily.

Is that not cheating? :greengrin

The Falcon
27-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Lets be clear here.

They broke the rules and Celtic are complaining about it. Truly beaten or not, thats not the point. FC Sion broke the rules, so selick have every right to complain about this one.

Besides..... If the same thing happened to us, we all know that big mental Rodders would have his tashe stuck right into the rule book. :wink:

Of course we would and it is cheating.

The same as when a player dives to win a penalty and you get beat by a goal. Thats cheating too.

lapsedhibee
27-08-2011, 01:33 PM
So... your kid plays in an Under-10 cup tie. The other team play 5 12 year olds, and win easily.

If your kid's team can't beat the opposition even with six extra players, then they don't deserve to go through and the 5-man team should keep their place in the next round? :dunno:

CropleyWasGod
27-08-2011, 01:40 PM
If your kid's team can't beat the opposition even with six extra players, then they don't deserve to go through and the 5-man team should keep their place in the next round? :dunno:

Smartass :greengrin

That said, you may have a solution here. Replay the game, Sion field only 6 eligible players. If the Tic still can't beat them, then they're out.

I know where my money would be.

Hibernia Na Eir
27-08-2011, 04:23 PM
is that the Glasgow gang, the Timaloys?

Hibernia Na Eir
27-08-2011, 04:24 PM
I ****ing hate celticI ****ing hate lennonThats all i want to say! so much hate??

DH1875
27-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Clutching at straws as usual.

Not really. It's not like Sion only played an ineligible player. At the last count it was 5 :shocked:. I don't want to see Celtic get by in Europe but if Sion were playing a Spanish, English, Italian team etc... the 2nd leg wouldn't even have gone ahead. Just think how much fun it will be to watch them getting humped of Atletico and Udinese :thumbsup:.

Jonnyboy
27-08-2011, 10:11 PM
What are Vale of Leven saying about this?

:faf: :top marks

ekhibee
28-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Because of the way football seems to be run these days, I don't think Sion will be kicked out, but in my opinion they should, regardless of the opposition. And it's not as if we're talking just about 1 player either. Stuttgart were kicked out for fielding an ineligible sub against Leeds Utd and were kicked out, resulting in Leeds playing Rangers in the next round. Like a lot of people on here I have no love of Celtic, but they have done nothing wrong in my opinion in this case, the situation had been raised long before the 1st tie had been played never mind the second, and they are perfectly entitled to raise this, as were Leeds Utd no doubt. The Sion owner was aware of what he was doing too, which to me makes it worse.

Hibs Class
28-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Because of the way football seems to be run these days, I don't think Sion will be kicked out, but in my opinion they should, regardless of the opposition. And it's not as if we're talking just about 1 player either. Stuttgart were kicked out for fielding an ineligible sub against Leeds Utd and were kicked out, resulting in Leeds playing Rangers in the next round. Like a lot of people on here I have no love of Celtic, but they have done nothing wrong in my opinion in this case, the situation had been raised long before the 1st tie had been played never mind the second, and they are perfectly entitled to raise this, as were Leeds Utd no doubt. The Sion owner was aware of what he was doing too, which to me makes it worse.

IIRC Stuttgart breached the rule about the number of foreigners they could field. They weren't kicked out though, instead there was a play-off match in Spain. (That was because Leeds were awarded a 3-0 result for the match in question which left them tied 3-3 on aggregate)

libernian
28-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Footballs governing body are based in switzerland

Sion play there football in switzerland.

No further questions, your honor.

this.

I dont think Celtic deserve to go through either but the rules are the rules and Sion did break them. If some team had fielded ineligble players against us in Europe I'd be raging.

ekhibee
28-08-2011, 07:52 PM
IIRC Stuttgart breached the rule about the number of foreigners they could field. They weren't kicked out though, instead there was a play-off match in Spain. (That was because Leeds were awarded a 3-0 result for the match in question which left them tied 3-3 on aggregate)

Good point and I stand corrected. But in the case of Sion, we're not just talking about 1 player, and they are still knowingly breaking the rules. Totally respect what you were saying though.