PDA

View Full Version : Am I being mean spirited?

Famous Fiver
26-08-2011, 10:17 AM
After last night's debacles according to all and sundry in the media I should be wringing my hands and bemoaning the state of Scottish football.

Am I being mean spirited when I feel exactly the opposite this morning?

I don't care what it does to the coefficient or the reputation of the Old Firm and our wannabe neighbours in their bus shelter.

I AM LOVING IT!!!!

All I can say as I walk about with a wide smile this morning is GIRUY!!!

Dr Jimmy
26-08-2011, 10:23 AM
After last night's debacles according to all and sundry in the media I should be wringing my hands and bemoaning the state of Scottish football.

I don't care what it does to the coefficient or the reputation of the Old Firm and our wannabe neighbours in their bus shelter.

I AM LOVING IT!!!!

I am with you on this, as it just means less money for the OF to continue their domination. Therefore I look at it as a positive.
As for Hearts, they were only ever getting two rounds max anyway.

Andy74
26-08-2011, 10:48 AM

I AM LOVING IT!!!!

Correct. I dont care about co-efficients and all that, we are never going to do well in Europe so for me its a decent trip somewhere and if we have a couple more qualifying rounds to get anywhere then fine, if we are good enough to be in there in the later stages then we have to beat these teams anyway.

Fact is Rangers made something like £13m from their last European run. The less cash these teams have the better.

Hearts whole 'business model' is built around recouping some of their cash in Europe. They would have got some decent cash for their couple od rounds this year but an absolute drop in the ocean compared to the extra cash they paid out to get there. So, great news they haven't got any further and they will be making another multi million pound loss this year or need another multi million pound bail out.

Expecting Rain
26-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I am with you on this, as it just means less money for the OF to continue their domination. Therefore I look at it as a positive.
As for Hearts, they were only ever getting two rounds max anyway.

McCoist tried to turn it into a collective Scottish footballing failure, considering his club and their fellow magpies across the city have suffocated the life out of Scottish football year after year, laying the blame elsewhere instead of focusing on his own incompetence was a great source of amusement, still the media love in will continue for the meantime.

EuanH78
26-08-2011, 01:06 PM

I AM LOVING IT!!!!

Nah, I'm delighted as well.

Scottish football has been geting strangled for decades. Things will get better once our league is more competitive which needs a level playing field. Anything that helps our current setup crash and burn is a win for me.

Seany HFC 7-0
26-08-2011, 01:36 PM

I AM LOVING IT!!!!

:top marks:agree:
Exactly. Spot on mate

Sas_The_Hibby
26-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I'm in two minds.

It's a bit depressing that we're miles behind the OF who, themselves, can't even compete with teams from countries like Slovenia and Switzerland (with all due respect to them).

However, the SPL has been organised, for some time now, supposedly to help make the OF more competitive in Europe. That's clearly not worked and the Scottish football authorities should now stop worrying about Europe (at least until and if the financial bubble in England, Spain etc. bursts) and concentrate on making the Scottish game more entertaining and less expensive for the genuine home fan, e.g. a 16 team / 30 game top league and less pandering to the TV schedules, for peanuts in return.

Less money in the Scottish game, certainly, but who does the current money really benefit, apart from the OF? If they don't like it and still think they can play with the big boys, let them leave for the Premiership / North Atlantic Cod League or whatever, and leave the rest of us with a truly competitive Scottish league. If the non OF clubs were then playing for something more than third place and an early exit from Europe, attendances may even rise and make up for some of the financial shortfall.

Perhaps it wouldn't work out quite so hunky-dory, but anything has to be better than the stagnant situation we're in now.

HUTCHYHIBBY
26-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Me and my old boy were out for a few pints in Glasgow last night, there were more than a few disgruntled people drowning in their pints, most amusing!

Iggy Pope
26-08-2011, 07:40 PM

I AM LOVING IT!!!!

Spot on.
Nearly drove off the road this morning when I heard the radio headlines that one of them could be reinstated and was only marginally relieved to find that it wasn't the plums.