PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Strachan

hibeeleicester
25-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Before i start, i'm more than happy with CC in charge...

But GS has got to be the next hibs manager :thumbsup:

R'Albin
25-08-2011, 06:48 PM

Loved how much Southgate and him ripped this pish out of Hearts and how they are run:greengrin

northgreen24
25-08-2011, 06:50 PM
everything he said was correct, that season heats had a chance but the chairman blew it for whatever reason :agree:

no chance he will be the hibs manager but wouldnt say no

cjward2
25-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Sigh. Would be nice, but will likely not happen.

greenlex
25-08-2011, 07:00 PM
No thanks. I think he is a bit of a dick to be honest.

yekimevol
25-08-2011, 09:22 PM
no thanks

:cgwa

HibbingtonHibs
25-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Interview:

WGS: what sort of transfer kitty wouod i get?
RP: nowt
WGS: GTF

3pm
25-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Interview:

WGS: what sort of transfer kitty wouod i get?
RP: nowt
WGS: GTF

I am not so sure it would work out like that!

hibiedude
26-08-2011, 06:04 AM
Loved how much Southgate and him ripped this pish out of Hearts and how they are run:greengrin

They ripped the pish out of Romanov not Hearts!!!!! as for Strachan being our next manager- god I hope not

Lucius Apuleius
26-08-2011, 06:14 AM
I am with the majority so far. No thank you.

Saorsa
26-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I dinnae see what this obsession with Strachan is TBH. Other than what he did in the 2 horse race up here what has he achieved as a manager that has some folk clamouring for him? Is it because he's a Hibs supporter? :rolleyes:

lyonhibs
26-08-2011, 07:40 AM

No. No he doesn't.

jdships
26-08-2011, 08:28 AM
I dinnae see what this obsession with Strachan is TBH. Other than what he did in the 2 horse race up here what has he achieved as a manager that has some folk clamouring for him? Is it because he's a Hibs supporter? :rolleyes:

:thumbsup::top marks

Saorsa
26-08-2011, 08:36 AM
:thumbsup::top marksIf here ever got the job he would get my support as long as he was doing a good job but I just dinnae get the clamour tae have him here.

Andy74
26-08-2011, 09:44 AM

He's achieved a fair bit when you see the margins that he won the leagues by up here and getting Celtic into the last 16 of the champions league twice.

His Southampton record was good and he was initially doing well at Coventry who he managed to keep up for a few years when really they should have been going down, which albeit they eventually did.

Middlesbrough obviously not so good.

Overall though, better record really than most we could get here!

Detail below:

Coventry CityWhen Ron Atkinson became Coventry City's Director of Football in November 1996, Strachan was promoted to the manager's seat. He finally retired as a player at the end of the season after making his last appearance at the age of 40, at the time a record for an outfield player in the FA Premier League. Only goalkeeper John Burridge, who had played for Manchester City at the age of 43 in the 1994–95, had played at a greater age in the Premier League at the time.

Strachan also helped Coventry survive a Premier League relegation battle. After losing their penultimate league game, it looked as though their 30-year top flight tenancy had come to an end. But thanks to a victory on the final day, a draw for Middlesbrough (who had been deducted three points by the FA) and a defeat for Sunderland, they avoided relegation. Coventry stayed in the top flight for a further four years until the 2000–01 season, during which Strachan became unpopular with fans.[2] In the face of increasing supporter unrest he was sacked five games into the 2001–02 Division One campaign.[3]

[edit] SouthamptonStrachan returned to management within weeks, taking the manager's job at Premier League Southampton – who had sacked manager Stuart Gray after a terrible start to their first season at the new St Mary's Stadium. Most pundits had already written them off come Strachan's appointment in October 2001, but he turned round their fortunes and they finished 11th in the Premier League. The Saints progressed further in 2002–03 when they finished eighth and reached the FA Cup Final, where they lost 1–0 to Arsenal. As Arsenal had qualified for the UEFA Champions League, Southampton won a place in the UEFA Cup.

In February 2004, Strachan announced his resignation as Southampton manager. He had earlier announced his intention not to renew his contract when it expired at the end of the 2003–04 season, but resigned even earlier than intended because he wanted to spend time with his family.

[edit] CelticAfter a 16 month break, Strachan returned to management on 1 June 2005, when he succeeded Martin O'Neill as manager of Celtic in the Scottish Premier League (SPL). For 2005–06, his stated aim was to regain the SPL title from rivals Rangers. He had an embarrassing start to his campaign as Celtic manager, losing 5–0 to Slovakian champions Artmedia Bratislava on 27 July 2005 and 3 days later drawing 4–4 with Motherwell in his first SPL match in charge of the Glasgow club. The loss against Artmedia meant that Celtic suffered an early exit from European competition, despite winning the return match 4–0.

After this disastrous start, Celtic started to improve under Strachan. A low-point was the shock defeat in the third round of the Scottish Cup to First Division Clyde on 8 January 2006. However, the following month his team made history when they beat Dunfermline Athletic 8–1, a record victory margin for the SPL.

Strachan's first season was ultimately successful as he coached Celtic to victory in the Scottish League Cup and, on 5 April 2006 his side clinched the SPL title in record time and with six matches remaining. Reflecting this achievement, Strachan was voted 'manager of the year' by the Scottish Football Writers' Association 8 days later.[4]

The following year Strachan restructured the team and made a series of signings, bringing in players such as Hibernian's Derek Riordan, Chelsea's Jiri Jarosik, Kenny Miller and Lee Naylor both from Wolverhampton Wanderers, Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink from PSV Eindhoven, Thomas Gravesen from Real Madrid and Paul Hartley and Steven Pressley from Heart of Midlothian. Celtic flourished, and by mid-January 2007 held a 17 point lead in the SPL table.

Champions League football again returned to Celtic Park, the team having automatically qualified for the group stages and drawn alongside Benfica, FC Copenhagen and Manchester United. Home victories against all three Group F members saw the team progress to the final 16 of the Champions League for the first time since the competition was re-formatted in 1993. Celtic lost the tie, against eventual winners AC Milan in extra time, missing out on a place in the quarter finals.

On 22 April 2007 Strachan guided Celtic to their 41st league championship, and second in succession. A 2–1 victory against Kilmarnock[5] left Celtic 13 points clear of Rangers with four matches remaining. Later that day Strachan was recognised as the inaugural Scottish PFA Manager of the Year for 2007. Celtic went on to win the Scottish Cup, beating Dunfermline.

In the 2007–08 season, Strachan led Celtic into the last 16 of the Champions League again after beating AC Milan, Benfica and Shaktar Donetsk. However by April there was a lot of criticism from the press and the fans after the 1–0 loss to Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup quarter final and the 1–0 loss to 10 man Motherwell in the league. But he proved the critics wrong again and after beating Rangers twice at home, on 22 May 2008, Strachan became only the third ever Celtic manager to guide the club to three consecutive Scottish league titles.

After failing to lead Celtic to another league title in the 2008/09 season, he stepped down as manager on 25 May 2009.[6][7]

[edit] MiddlesbroughStrachan was appointed manager of Championship team Middlesbrough on 26 October 2009, in succession to Gareth Southgate and signed a four-year contract.[8][9]

Ironically, he had been linked with the Middlesbrough manager's job 15 years earlier, when still a Leeds United player.[10]

His first game in charge was on 31 October where Middlesbrough lost 1–0 to Plymouth Argyle with Adam Johnson missing a penalty.[11] On 5 December 2009, Middlesbrough won their first match under Strachan, 5–1 away to Queens Park Rangers.[12] after a poor run of results including a 3–0 loss at home to Blackpool and a 1–0 loss at home to Cardiff City Strachan got his first home win- 3–0 against Scunthorpe.[13]

After a poor start to the 2010–11 season with Middlesbrough in 20th place,[14] Strachan left the club by mutual consent on 18 October,[15] and voluntarily tore up his contract,[16] meaning that the club did not have to pay him compensation for the two and a half years remaining on his deal.[15][17]

Steve20
26-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I can't believe people wouldn't have Strachan as manager, when you consider how useless our current manager is.

smurf
26-08-2011, 09:53 AM
I can't believe people wouldn't have Strachan as manager, when you consider how useless our current manager is.

Bit premature to judge. CC now has *his* team and now is the time to judge!

Steve20
26-08-2011, 10:02 AM

Premature? Look at his record as manager. It's a disgrace, his team or not. So far this season, we have been awful again. I've seen nothing in the four league games so far that suggests it will get any better.

Sammy7nil
26-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Was that "his" team at Killie when we were humiliated ? :confused:
After one year in charge whether it is "his" team or not we should be far better organised than we are, lets see how the next 5 - 6 games go.

smurf
26-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Was that "his" team at Killie when we were humiliated ? :confused:
After one year in charge whether it is "his" team or not we should be far better organised than we are, lets see how the next 5 - 6 games go.

Killie was awful. St Mirren as bad. No doubt about that.

But lets not be rash however tempting.

I'm also far from convinced but lets see where we are in 5-6 games.