PDA

View Full Version : Warnock glad to get pumped out Carling Cup?

McHibby
24-08-2011, 12:58 PM
This story really annoyed me, not so much that QPR have a major challenge in trying to stay in the EPL - I realise that they do - and that is clearly their priority this year, but Warnock's comments. First off I'm usually quite suspicious of clubs/fans/managers who give the old "Oh it'll let us concentrate on the league" nonsense. Who wouldn't want to win a trophy? A good cup run gives the fans something to cheer about and creates a feel-good factor at a club, as well as generating some extra cash too. According to NW, "If I can't get motivated for the competition I can't blame the players if they can't." Is that not a bit of a slap in the face to the fans who turned up and paid their money? And what about professional pride and wanting to do your very best in every game, surely the players should always be motivated to win matches regardless of the competition or opposition?

Can you imagine the reaction last night if we got beat by Berwick then CC said, "Aw well, it's a p!shy wee competition anyway. Neither me or the players could be ar*ed with it to be honest".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14643771.stm

Frazerbob
24-08-2011, 01:01 PM
He came accross as a complete fandango in his post match interview. He actually said that he can't be bothered with the first round of the cup and how can he expect his players to get "up for it" if he can't. Imagine the outcry if our manager came out with this!

Wotherspiniesta
24-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Warnock is, and always will be, a complete bellend.

iwasthere1972
24-08-2011, 01:12 PM
This story really annoyed me, not so much that QPR have a major challenge in trying to stay in the EPL - I realise that they do - and that is clearly their priority this year, but Warnock's comments. First off I'm usually quite suspicious of clubs/fans/managers who give the old "Oh it'll let us concentrate on the league" nonsense. Who wouldn't want to win a trophy? A good cup run gives the fans something to cheer about and creates a feel-good factor at a club, as well as generating some extra cash too. According to NW, "If I can't get motivated for the competition I can't blame the players if they can't." Is that not a bit of a slap in the face to the fans who turned up and paid their money? And what about professional pride and wanting to do your very best in every game, surely the players should always be motivated to win matches regardless of the competition or opposition?

Can you imagine the reaction last night if we got beat by Berwick then CC said, "Aw well, it's a p!shy wee competition anyway. Neither me or the players could be ar*ed with it to be honest".

It's a shocking attitude. Fans paid good money in the hope that their team won and went through to the next stage.

Maybe clubs should be able to opt out of the Carling Cup and let the teams who want to win the competition get on with it.

LancashireHibby
24-08-2011, 01:12 PM
Once a tool, always a tool.

Woody1985
24-08-2011, 01:30 PM
Pretty poor attitude but I think the fans will console themselves with playing games against Champions League level opponents in the domestic league.

Roy Hodgson (sp) said the other day that he 'couldn't be bothered with the Carlsberg cup, or whatever it's called nowadays'. The LC in England means nothing to the teams towards the top end.

The FA cup is sacred in England and the top leagues have the money and prestige. Why should they care about a cup that was probably introduced as a means to make more money from the fans?

Speaking of fans, how many of them turned out?

iwasthere1972
24-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Pretty poor attitude but I think the fans will console themselves with playing games against Champions League level opponents in the domestic league.

Roy Hodgson (sp) said the other day that he 'couldn't be bothered with the Carlsberg cup, or whatever it's called nowadays'. The LC in England means nothing to the teams towards the top end.

The FA cup is sacred in England and the top leagues have the money and prestige. Why should they care about a cup that was probably introduced as a means to make more money from the fans?

4755. Makes our attendance look not bad but we want to win the League Cup or whatever it's called nowadays.

BoltonHibee
24-08-2011, 01:36 PM

It means jack all to any of the EPL teams. If the top ones progress with their reserve sides, then they are happy if not no great loss. Warnock speaks the truth as much as it may hurt. That is what the EPL has done to other competitions all around it. The prize for success in the EPL is so great and the price of failure can be even greater.

I have seen teams in the UEFA, now Europa league, field weakened sides because a game against Wigan in the EPL on the Sunday is far far more important.

Changed days....

McHibby
24-08-2011, 01:38 PM

It wasn't a great turnout the Beeb said it was 4,775. It really was just the attitude that riled me, it so unprofessional, arrogant and unfair on those did turn up. I can't go into work and pick and choose what jobs I'll be giving 100% to and what ones I'll just go through the motions with. I'm paid to do a job so I do it as best I can. I find it incredible that footballers can't find it within themselves to be motivated to play a game of football... whoever they're playing.

basehibby
24-08-2011, 04:21 PM

Warnock is an ungracious :asshole: who obviously knows very little about the club he purports to represent. I bet the QPR fans care about the League Cup - it's their ONLY major honour in the entire history of their club!!!

I can understand the league being a higher priority but the "don't care" angle is simply peddling excuses - certainly if any Hibs manager came out with it I would be fuming.

Hibs Class
24-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Very unprofessional. I don't see much difference between this and e.g. wolves fielding a weakened team at old trafford in the league. But whilst wolves got fined in the league qpr will probably get away with last night as will other epl teams who do the same.

H18sry
24-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Do you think Birmingham fans, who's team won this cup and got relegated last season wish they got knocked out early door's?

No neither do I. You do not know what is going to happen over the course of a season ok they got relegated but try taking the memories of winning a cup at Wembley away from the fans.

Woody1985
24-08-2011, 05:42 PM
Do you think Birmingham fans, who's team won this cup and got relegated last season wish they got knocked out early door's?No neither do I. You do not know what is going to happen over the course of a season ok they got relegated but try taking the memories of winning a cup at Wembley away from the fans.They probably wouldn't swap it now it's in the bag but playing a first round game is a million miles away from winning it.If they survive they'll be happy I'm sure.

Jim44
24-08-2011, 07:00 PM
They probably wouldn't swap it now it's in the bag but playing a first round game is a million miles away from winning it.If they survive they'll be happy I'm sure.

Poor wee souls, how inconsiderate to make EPL teams play in the early stages of the Carling Cup. They should all get a 'bye' to the semi-finals. :rolleyes:

jdships
24-08-2011, 07:06 PM
It's a shocking attitude. Fans paid good money in the hope that their team won and went through to the next stage.

Maybe clubs should be able to opt out of the Carling Cup and let the teams who want to win the competition get on with it.

:top marks
Wonder what the sponsors thoughts were when they read his comments this morning ? :rolleyes:
Anyone reckon he might be charged with " bringing the game into disrepute " by the FA ?

3pm
24-08-2011, 07:07 PM
Neil Warnock is a tosser. Hope he goes down athough I have nothing against QPR themselves.

CFC
24-08-2011, 07:08 PM
It means jack all to any of the EPL teams. If the top ones progress with their reserve sides, then they are happy if not no great loss. Warnock speaks the truth as much as it may hurt. That is what the EPL has done to other competitions all around it. The prize for success in the EPL is so great and the price of failure can be even greater.I have seen teams in the UEFA, now Europa league, field weakened sides because a game against Wigan in the EPL on the Sunday is far far more important. Changed days....Excellent post BH. In fact I believe that Tottenham did field weakened sides in the Europa League in the 2009/10 season because qualifying for the champions league was Redknapps main priority. Really sad how the FA Cup, league cup and UEFA Cup which were once prestigous competitions have been devalued by teams putting out under strength sides. Not too long ago clubs would ALWAYS play their best XI in ANY competition, sigh.

Woody1985
24-08-2011, 07:09 PM
Poor wee souls, how inconsiderate to make EPL teams play in the early stages of the Carling Cup. They should all get a 'bye' to the semi-finals. :rolleyes: completely irrelevant to my point or anything that I've said.

BoltonHibee
24-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Excellent post BH. In fact I believe that Tottenham did field weakened sides in the Europa League in the 2009/10 season because qualifying for the champions league was Redknapps main priority. Really sad how the FA Cup, league cup and UEFA Cup which were once prestigous competitions have been devalued by teams putting out under strength sides. Not too long ago clubs would ALWAYS play their best XI in ANY competition, sigh.

Yup, the EPL just destroys other competitions around it. Good on Rochdale anyway, his remarks show a great deal of disrespect them. They only arrived back in Rochdale at 5am this morning, their bus broke down en route home...

Woody1985
24-08-2011, 07:14 PM
:top marksWonder what the sponsors thoughts were when they read his comments this morning ? :rolleyes:Anyone reckon he might be charged with " bringing the game into disrepute " by the FA ? If hodgson wasn't he shouldn't be. It's still piss poor from both of them.

iwasthere1972
24-08-2011, 07:14 PM
Yup, the EPL just destroys other competitions around it. Good on Rochdale anyway, his remarks show a great deal of disrespect them. They only arrived back in Rochdale at 5am this morning, their bus broke down en route home...

Some nice drums down Regent Road. :greengrin

BoltonHibee
24-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Some nice drums down Regent Road. :greengrin

I'm squatting :)

Not sure how that happened, it's the first time I've noticed that

Jim44
24-08-2011, 07:20 PM
completely irrelevant to my point or anything that I've said.

I didn't intend to relate my comment to yours. I inadvertantly clicked on the the wrong link. My comment should stand alone as an observation on the pathetic attitude of managers of clubs like QPR.

NOLA
24-08-2011, 08:15 PM
to be fair to Qpr,Norwich + Swansea fans who did turn up last night, im sure they knew beforehand the team was gonna be weakened, survival in the premiership will take all their efforts this season + having a cup competition midweek is easily dismissed if it helps keep them from relegation IMO

Sir David Gray
24-08-2011, 09:14 PM
That's an abysmal attitude for a manager to have about a competitive game of football.

If they weren't taking it seriously, the 4,500 or whatever it was that turned up at Loftus Road last night should have been let in for nothing.

I would be disgusted if a member of the Hibs coaching staff or one of the players came out with that kind of stuff.

LancashireHibby
24-08-2011, 10:20 PM
I have seen teams in the UEFA, now Europa league, field weakened sides because a game against Wigan in the EPL on the Sunday is far far more important.

Thanks for reminding me about that one, Moray....you forgot to mention that said game against Wigan ended up being a defeat after playing against 10 men for 85 minutes!

Megson!!!:fuming::fuming::fuming::fuming::fuming:

JimBHibees
25-08-2011, 02:08 PM
Just an ungracious excuse for his team being horsed. I would have had more respect if he had said it before the game however he wouldnt have the backbone to do that. You would have thought a guy whose career in management has mostly been in the lower leagues would have had more respect than he showed to Rochdale (a small club who arent in the limelight much).

heretoday
25-08-2011, 02:24 PM
There could be some fur flying at QPR this season. I gather Joey Barton is getting his medical today. Not sure if that includes a psychiatric assessment.