PDA

View Full Version : Who's to blame

MoantheCabbage
22-08-2011, 07:27 AM
Seem's as though the managerial merry go round will take a spin one more time down at ER with Calderwood being the latest fall guy. Are we as hibs fans really that blind that we can't agree that the problems may not be the manager on every occasion things go wrong.

The problems at ER are far more deep seated than the man in the spotlight, now im not for a minute saying Calderwood is the answer but I do know that as a club we can't keep sacking managers or allowing them to leave by mutual consent.

For me the problem lies at Petrie's door he has allowed players to have the upper hand on managers by taking their side over the previous 3 managers before Calderwood which leaves the manager in a very awkward situation as the players won't respect him. Mr Petrie will also not allow managers to sign players who dont meet the criteria of having any sell on value so any chance of getting someone in with bags of experience wont do as there is no profit to be made.

I agree that we needed Petrie to help the club and get us back in the black and he has also done a marvelous job getting the infrastructure just right and taking big money for players who have been sold which has no doubt helped.

Times are now more worrying than ever we had less than 9k in 20+k stadium on Saturday and the game wasnt on tv and the weather was glorious. The problem being the team on the park are just not up to scratch and people are voting with their feet which to be honest I completely agree with as the product on the park is not entertainment and people who are staying with it are going as part of their habit that thats just what they do on a saturday "go and see Hibs" no matter how rubbish things are.

We as supporters deserve better we have massive fan base when the goings good and they may be seen as glory hunters or whatever you might want to perceive it as but look at it this way, would you rather have another 10 thousand glory hunters paying their cash on the Saturday to see the club and possibly change their thinking to season tickets or would you prefer to attend a less than half full stadium every week to that rubbish.

Lets stand together and agree some action rather than bickering about who is right, who is an ubber fan, who is a glory hunter or who is a happy clapper or doom and gloomer. WE are HIBS fans and together things can change, divided they wont.

Captain Trips
22-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Good post. Were RP is very good in other parts he is not so. I think by and large the work off the park has been very good however 4th once in 5 seasons is failure at a higher level. I fear it might be once in 6 seasons. IMO our SPL record is a disgrace.

Thecat23
22-08-2011, 08:18 AM
Seem's as though the managerial merry go round will take a spin one more time down at ER with Calderwood being the latest fall guy. Are we as hibs fans really that blind that we can't agree that the problems may not be the manager on every occasion things go wrong.

The problems at ER are far more deep seated than the man in the spotlight, now im not for a minute saying Calderwood is the answer but I do know that as a club we can't keep sacking managers or allowing them to leave by mutual consent.

For me the problem lies at Petrie's door he has allowed players to have the upper hand on managers by taking their side over the previous 3 managers before Calderwood which leaves the manager in a very awkward situation as the players won't respect him. Mr Petrie will also not allow managers to sign players who dont meet the criteria of having any sell on value so any chance of getting someone in with bags of experience wont do as there is no profit to be made.

I agree that we needed Petrie to help the club and get us back in the black and he has also done a marvelous job getting the infrastructure just right and taking big money for players who have been sold which has no doubt helped.

Times are now more worrying than ever we had less than 9k in 20+k stadium on Saturday and the game wasnt on tv and the weather was glorious. The problem being the team on the park are just not up to scratch and people are voting with their feet which to be honest I completely agree with as the product on the park is not entertainment and people who are staying with it are going as part of their habit that thats just what they do on a saturday "go and see Hibs" no matter how rubbish things are.

We as supporters deserve better we have massive fan base when the goings good and they may be seen as glory hunters or whatever you might want to perceive it as but look at it this way, would you rather have another 10 thousand glory hunters paying their cash on the Saturday to see the club and possibly change their thinking to season tickets or would you prefer to attend a less than half full stadium every week to that rubbish.

Lets stand together and agree some action rather than bickering about who is right, who is an ubber fan, who is a glory hunter or who is a happy clapper or doom and gloomer. WE are HIBS fans and together things can change, divided they wont.

100% agree with the whole post.. Spot on mate. :agree:

Speedway
22-08-2011, 08:32 AM
Except it's no longer Petrie in the front line.

Fife directs operational policy, Scott footballing policy.

Now if you're suggesting that Scott is being worked from behind by the puppet master.....

smurf
22-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Not any one individual is to blame but then it very rarely works out like that.

We can't be this consistently awful though without concluding there's a lot rotten at ER/EM and responsibility must start at the top.

Sir Tom Farmer owns the club. Obviously he's untouchable but its a parent that has ultimate responsibility for a child.

And that we have an owner so untouchable begins to tell the story of how unaccountable our custodian is to us the fans.

Whether you think our ownership is fantastic or not I don't think the structure is conducive to success.

Let's not forget its the club that tell us that its our club...

Peevemor
22-08-2011, 09:27 AM
For me the problem lies at Petrie's door he has allowed players to have the upper hand on managers by taking their side over the previous 3 managers before Calderwood which leaves the manager in a very awkward situation as the players won't respect him.

Eh? :confused:

Mr Petrie will also not allow managers to sign players who dont meet the criteria of having any sell on value so any chance of getting someone in with bags of experience wont do as there is no profit to be made.

What, like Garry O'Connor? :confused:

Prawn Sandwich
22-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Colin Calderwood is to blame for the teams performance. He has been able to bring more new players in a very short time than any other previous manager. To be able to empty the vast majority players at the end of last season was a perfect opportunity. He has managed to screw that up by not strengthening certain areas and create instability by not committing to the club.

Look no further than Colin Calderwood.

cam2644
22-08-2011, 10:59 AM
by not committing to the club.

Look no further than Colin Calderwood.[/QUOTE]

True but Rob Petrie kept him to contract even when he made it clear he preferred working as a number two in England.
Rob Petrie has a disastrous record in picking the wrong manager at the wrong time and his banking mentality does not allow him to see things in a footballing light.
Hence our current predicament.

MoantheCabbage
22-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Eh? :confused:

Like the players going to Petrie's house to complain about Collins and him not backing the manager.

Although the players may not have went to Petrie's house again I can tell you for a fact that players complained to Petrie about Mixu and Yogi and he never took their side either.

What, like Garry O'Connor? :confused:

Garry O'connor is a very good signing and has looked excellent in most games however im unsure of what your point is. If Garry had signed for more than a year he would indeed have a sell on value and if depending on how things go he may even be away as soon as January. The players im talking about are the players who are over 30 and would most likely end their career at hibs

--------
22-08-2011, 11:30 AM

Like you I'm utterly sick and tired of the constant instability at ER. If you're asking where the problems lie, I would say that you have to go right to the top.

Hibs are the only team in the SPL/SFL as far as I know who are owned by someone who takes no overt interest whatsoever in the team's performances and results.

Does STF come to the games?

Does it matter to him where the team is in the League?

Would he lose sleep if we were relegated this season?

Does he actually exist except as a hologram booted up for the Annual General Meeting?

In a business it concentrates everyone's mind wonderfully if the man who owns the organisation is liable at any moment to appear and demand to know just what the chairman, board, CEO, management, workers, whoever think they're playing at?

I don't think STF cares. He's preserved the club as an "Edinburgh institution" - a museum piece, in other words - and now he's only interested in the bottom line of the balance sheet.

Which means that Petrie has little or no pressure on him to set things right.

Which means the rest of the board have little or no pressure on them.

Which means that Calderwood and the coaching staff have little or no pressure on them to set things right at their level.

Which means that the players....

As of now, Hibs get no more of my money - not for games, not for books, not for stuff out the shop, not for anything - until they start to show me the desire to be a serious football club rather than a plastic pretendy one prepared to show the same commitment they've been demanding from the supporters for far too long now.

If I'm bored of a Saturday pm, I'll take Bobby W's advice and head for CineWorld.

MoantheCabbage
22-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Colin Calderwood is to blame for the teams performance. He has been able to bring more new players in a very short time than any other previous manager. To be able to empty the vast majority players at the end of last season was a perfect opportunity. He has managed to screw that up by not strengthening certain areas and create instability by not committing to the club.

Look no further than Colin Calderwood.

As stated in my OP I don't think Calderwood is the answer but our last 4 managers surely cannot all be bad managers. Mixu done a decent job at Killie but couldnt do it at Hibs. Collins and Yogi were both given money but were unable to get the board to agree to bring in other experienced players they wanted and were unable to run the team the way they saw fit.

we cannot keep appointing managers and who have 1 arm tied behind their back due to the board

MoantheCabbage
22-08-2011, 11:32 AM
Garry O'connor is a very good signing and has looked excellent in most games however im unsure of what your point is. If Garry had signed for more than a year he would indeed have a sell on value and if depending on how things go he may even be away as soon as January. The players im talking about are the players who are over 30 and would most likely end their career at hibs

Apppolgoes put my first reply to yours in your actual post. I refer to your Eh :confused::confused: post!!

Franck is God
22-08-2011, 11:54 AM
We have only played 4 games this season and if I was being really honest the first three points I realistically saw us picking us would have been on Saturday against St Mirren which makes it all the more disappointing that a couple of defensive errors cost us the match. I saw most of the fans team selections leading up to the game and the majority had Palsson & Booth as the full backs so what did CC do wrong there?

We have brought in good quality players in both the January & summer transfer windows and due to some unfortunate circumstances we have barely seen some of them more than a handful of times.

Our entire squad needed an overhaul and that is what it got and I am positive that once we see the team he actually wants on the pitch things will improve dramatically.

Captain Trips
22-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Fife, Scott or Petrie whoever it may be has failed the footballing side of this club season after season. Our league placings are not good enough and a 10th is frankly disgraceful. We had a statement a few weeks ago and were told CC is right man due to His performance in Feburary. If one month out of about 8 is a marker then it really shows how out of touch he is. Hibs are a miles away from where they could be. Shambles at ER from board to pitch.

SneakersO'Toole
22-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Like you I'm utterly sick and tired of the constant instability at ER. If you're asking where the problems lie, I would say that you have to go right to the top.

Hibs are the only team in the SPL/SFL as far as I know who are owned by someone who takes no overt interest whatsoever in the team's performances and results.

Does STF come to the games?

Does it matter to him where the team is in the League?

Would he lose sleep if we were relegated this season?

Does he actually exist except as a hologram booted up for the Annual General Meeting?

In a business it concentrates everyone's mind wonderfully if the man who owns the organisation is liable at any moment to appear and demand to know just what the chairman, board, CEO, management, workers, whoever think they're playing at?

I don't think STF cares. He's preserved the club as an "Edinburgh institution" - a museum piece, in other words - and now he's only interested in the bottom line of the balance sheet.

Which means that Petrie has little or no pressure on him to set things right.

Which means the rest of the board have little or no pressure on them.

Which means that Calderwood and the coaching staff have little or no pressure on them to set things right at their level.

Which means that the players....

As of now, Hibs get no more of my money - not for games, not for books, not for stuff out the shop, not for anything - until they start to show me the desire to be a serious football club rather than a plastic pretendy one prepared to show the same commitment they've been demanding from the supporters for far too long now.

If I'm bored of a Saturday pm, I'll take Bobby W's advice and head for CineWorld.

This is a fantastic post.

Articulates superbly one of the main problems at Hibs IMO - accountability.