PDA

View Full Version : Most of you are so lucky

zero-seven
21-08-2011, 11:30 PM
You have not had to watch Hibs from the 60's !!! my first game was in 1965..against St Mirren..think it was 2-1 ..then we had the great Turnbulls Tornados..european football was a given every season and we had a team good enough to challenge everytime..since then..we have become a feeder club and always/always lose our best players and managers..to get us out of this nosedive, a serious u turn in ths policy is required ...tho with player contracts i would find it hard to believe this is possible ..

have never ever been so demoralised with my club

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2011, 11:34 PM
You have not had to watch Hibs from the 60's !!! my first game was in 1965..against St Mirren..think it was 2-1 ..then we had the great Turnbulls Tornados..european football was a given every season and we had a team good enough to challenge everytime..since then..we have become a feeder club and always/always lose our best players and managers..to get us out of this nosedive, a serious u turn in ths policy is required ...tho with player contracts i would find it hard to believe this is possible ..

Failure to build on after the tornadoes where did it go wrong in your view although I was born it was a bit before my time if you catch my drift...

zero-seven
22-08-2011, 12:08 AM
Failure to build on after the tornadoes where did it go wrong in your view although I was born it was a bit before my time if you catch my drift...

in my opinion we did not utilise our momentum with the tornadoes..we had a few youngsters coming through, but did not match the quality on show at the time...selling sir Patrick of Stanton was a bad move..once the team was disasembled we went backwards..the next time i have fond memories was when Sir Franck of Sauzee was el capitan...Mcleish went, Sauzee took over, Latapy was sold to der hun..Youngsters started to come through and were sold to our competitors...this is where it started to unravel...we had the makings of a fantastic team full of talented youngters that wanted to chase a fast buck ( i dont and wont blame them..except Thomson)..Whittaker, Broon, Thomson, Deek, O,connor Murray, Murphy, Sproule..what could have been..now the investment in journeymen and the fact that the youngsters are not as talented is starting to hurt..we dont play a good enough, effective brand of football to worry other teams...no real talent coming through the ranks and no talent on the pitch..we panic too much..

this is keeping fans away

Hibercelona
22-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Lucky that we missed some of the most pivotal points in Hibernian history?

zero-seven
22-08-2011, 12:37 AM
Lucky that we missed some of the most pivotal points in Hibernian history?

get a life mate...you know exactly what i am talking about...or do i have to point it out to you ?

Hibercelona
22-08-2011, 12:40 AM
get a life mate...you know exactly what i am talking about...or do i have to point it out to you ?

No. I don't know what the title of your thread has got to do with your opening post.

Who should be so lucky? :confused:

zero-seven
22-08-2011, 12:57 AM
No. I don't know what the title of your thread has got to do with your opening post.

Who should be so lucky? :confused:

I dont know when you started watching this club...all i am saying is , we had a chance to move the club forward , but did not take it..twice..with good solid teams with youngsters coming through..unfortunately money was the deciding factor and not success..this has been all that i have been party to for 45 years out of my 50 ....i have seen the best and worst that the club has put on the park...we have not learned any lessons and will continue to put out impostors to the jersey until something changes...

but, this is one of the worst teams and styles of football witnessed at the club...to your point..i have only witnessed the occasional team that i would crawl over broken glass to watch..too few and far between....we deserve better than what we have had to put up with in the last 50 odd years

money wins and the fans are asked to cough up hard earned to watch this crap....again

lyonhibs
22-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I fail to see how fans who hav seen 20-30 years of almost unrelenting mediocrity are to be considered 'so lucky'??

ForeverHibs93
22-08-2011, 09:09 AM
I believe the OP is saying, that he has seen the heights we can and have reached which makes it harder to accept the p!sh that's on the park now, as opposed to the younger fans have only really experienced the average Hibs sides, bar the Fletch, Brown etc days.

Moulin Yarns
22-08-2011, 09:26 AM
For me, throughout the Turmbull Era we, and a few other clubs were able to compete with the old firm. It went wrong for us, and every other club outside of the old firm when television money, and home clubs keeping all gate money, made the financies available to the old firm so much greater than other clubs.

That, along with the advent of the Premier League/SPL, created an inequality that will never be corrected. Yes, some clubs have challenged the old firm, including Hibs, but not in any sustained way, and if they do all the old firm does is buy the best players to stifle the opposition, then complain when they fail in Europe about the lack of competition.

That's all.

Earl o'Montrose
22-08-2011, 09:29 AM

That, Sir, is why I'm of the opinion that you've been privileged to have been a Hibbee during a time when the club were feared and respected. My first season was 77-78 and frankly we've been gash for most of the time since, with the exception of a couple of good seasons which you've mentioned. What Wee Hibbee and others have been trying to say is that at least you've been able to have seen us when we were truly great. Unlike most of us, myself included :boo hoo:

Keith_M
22-08-2011, 09:48 AM
As somebody brought up the subject...

What was the reason given for the selling of Stanton? I was very young at the time but remember being disappointed at him leaving. It surely can't be co-incidence that the rot set in at Hibs about the time he left.

blackpoolhibs
22-08-2011, 09:52 AM
I started going around the same time as the OP. I feel privileged to have seen the tornadoes, and took that team and european qualification every season as the norm. I suppose there were lots of reasons why we did not push on, but as usual it all really boils down to money.

We have steadily got smaller over the last 30-40 years, and old farts like us who were there probably compare then to now, and thats wrong.

Christ, how must those who watched the famous 5 feel? :greengrin

JohnScott
22-08-2011, 09:59 AM
That, Sir, is why I'm of the opinion that you've been privileged to have been a Hibbee during a time when the club were feared and respected. My first season was 77-78 and frankly we've been gash for most of the time since, with the exception of a couple of good seasons which you've mentioned. What Wee Hibbee and others have been trying to say is that at least you've been able to have seen us when we were truly great. Unlike most of us, myself included :boo hoo:

Like you Montrose I started watching Hibs in the seventies. Like most of our generation we were taken along by our fathers who remembered the great European nights and the start of Turnbulls Tornadoes. Myself I just about remember the remnants of that team. The only half decent team since then was the 6 - 2 team. That team should have been built on but no, it was sold off to help fund our shiny new, less than half full stadium. Alex Miller said: "If we stay at Easter Road we will have to sell our young talented players for years to come" He was right and anybody who dosent acknowledge that? Well your deluded.

As for the original poster? We're not all half-wits mate, I for one know exactly what you mean. It must be the same for the Aberdeen fans who were lucky to see the early eighties team. We haven't come close to emulating them, yet guys like myself and others on here somehow reckon were as big as them.

Seven Nil: I hope you get to witness a Hibs team lifting the Scottish Cup. It's the least you deserve.

delbert
22-08-2011, 10:00 AM
Been watching Hibs roughly the same time as the OP, since 1969 in my case, and undoubtedly I am now watching pretty much the worst team I have have ever seen in that time. We are full of players who have no pace, creativity, fight, or passion, but worse than that there are players in this current team who cannot trap a ball, make a 10-15 yard pass to a team mate, and who lack the ability to find even a yard or two of space to make themselves available. We cannot keep possession at our own throw ins, we would be as well just chucking it straight to an opponent, because 95% of the time, thats what happens after our own player receiving the ball tries and fails to keep possession, and don't get me started on our crossing ability, it is utterly abysmal at present. I watch the way we set up defending corners and cringe at what I see, we are always on our heels, nobody in defence is ever aggressive and genuinely attacks the ball, we have a midfield who constantly concede the middle of the park and allow the opposing side to roam forward at will because we do not have the fight or fitness in there to compete for 45 minutes, let alone 90, and it is almost par for the course now to see the midfield retreat almost on top of the defence (thats a laugh, defence!!) so that we have 7 or 8 players jammed into a 10 yard strip outside our own penalty area as the opposition walks forward unmolested before anyone even tries to come out and challenge for a ball.

Clearly there are deficiencies at the most basic of levels in our coaching staff, don't get me started on CC, he is simply a duff manager plain and simple, but you would think that professional footballers might actually have the savvy to do something about some of these things on their own, rather than having to be told. Most of the above is stuff you would learn in youth or school football, so what actually happens down at East Mains, apart from showing the next group of rank rotten journeymen about to sign which players lounge they can play their playstations in once they have jogged around for 20 minutes each morning on our state of the art training pitches. Crowds are down approximately 20-30% overall this season, why, because we are watching a team sliding towards the 1st division, does even the most diehard of fans think we could have gone to Parkhead yesterday and did what St Johnstone did, scrap and fight and win ugly there, could this group of Hibs players do that? I'm pretty sure we all know the answer.

I think we are at a tipping point at Easter Road, if we stay up this season clearly it will not be because we have improved under Calderwood because he is incapable of doing this, but because somebody is actually even more rank rotten than us, that's a real recommendation to go out and get a season ticket!! I have never seen so many posts, not just on the net, but on the Bounce as well, stating how demoralised and let down so may long time Hibs fans are feeling just now, the whole place needs gutted from top to bottom of the losers and duds who occupy the place at the moment, both in the coaching staff and in the playing squad. Five wins in a row at one point saved us from relegation last season, take a look at that squad right now, I don't even see 5 wins in the entire season, we are 11th right now, and depending on how ICT do next week against home at Killie, we may be one position worse off. Point me out the guys who are going to fight their way out of that position if it happens, I've looked and I don't see them.

hibsbollah
22-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I started watching Hibs in 1979, and its been almost unrelenting pish ever since. This leads me to believe that the golden era never actually happened, and the famous five, the tornadoes and beating napoli, barca etc. was all just made up by the old-timers as a sick joke.

Moulin Yarns
22-08-2011, 11:24 AM
I started watching Hibs in 1979, and its been almost unrelenting pish ever since. This leads me to believe that the golden era never actually happened, and the famous five, the tornadoes and beating napoli, barca etc. was all just made up by the old-timers as a sick joke.

read it and weep!! http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2010/apr/02/joy-of-six-uefa-cup-classics

I was too young to remember it, but early 70's European nights were magic and we scored goals for fun. Think of some 'big' European teams that are about just now.

Hibs 6 Malmo 0
Hibs 6 Sporting Lisbon 1
Hibs 9 Rosenburg 1

Damn, now I'm depressed

Hibernia Na Eir
22-08-2011, 11:25 AM
as Petrie won't resign, the best we can hope for is a new manager (and assistant) who sign better players and an overhaul of our scouting. All we want is a Hibs team who play with pride and a little passion. Perhaps only GOC displayed this on Saturday. Calderwood must take an awful lot of blame. I don't see a winner in him.

RIP
22-08-2011, 11:47 AM
I'm like the OP but I reckon anyone who didn't witness the Tornadoes is unlucky. It was a blip in five decades of mediocrity, Miller, McLeish, Mowbray and Collins provided smaller blips with lesser teams, cup wins etc

That's why I have to laugh (or cry :boo hoo:) at these claims that we are underchieving. We've won two cups and been relegated twice in the last 39 years - average league position seventh. The reason why we have so much dissatisfaction is this false belief we are a big club. Potentially - Yes but in Reality = No

sahib
22-08-2011, 06:52 PM
[QUOTE=delbert;2894682]Been watching Hibs roughly the same time as the OP, since 1969 in my case, and undoubtedly I am now watching pretty much the worst team I have have ever seen in that time. We are full of players who have no pace, creativity, fight, or passion, but worse than that there are players in this current team who cannot trap a ball, make a 10-15 yard pass to a team mate, and who lack the ability to find even a yard or two of space to make themselves available. We cannot keep possession at our own throw ins, we would be as well just chucking it straight to an opponent, because 95% of the time, thats what happens after our own player receiving the ball tries and fails to keep possession, and don't get me started on our crossing ability, it is utterly abysmal at present. I watch the way we set up defending corners and cringe at what I see, we are always on our heels, nobody in defence is ever aggressive and genuinely attacks the ball, we have a midfield who constantly concede the middle of the park and allow the opposing side to roam forward at will because we do not have the fight or fitness in there to compete for 45 minutes, let alone 90, and it is almost par for the course now to see the midfield retreat almost on top of the defence (thats a laugh, defence!!) so that we have 7 or 8 players jammed into a 10 yard strip outside our own penalty area as the opposition walks forward unmolested before anyone even tries to come out and challenge for a ball.

QUOTE]

I understand the sentiment mate but I don't think the highlighted statement is true. I would say the technical ability of the current team compares very well with people like Willie Jaimeson, Garry Murray Ally Brazil, Rab Kilgour etc etc and some of those were quite effective in their own way.

Alfred E Newman
22-08-2011, 07:54 PM
When I started watching Hibs at the start of the 60`s we were very much in decline like now and were almost relegated from the old 18 team league and only survived that humiliation an the last day of the season. Yet even at that time we were still a great club to support and had a host of young players coming through most of them round about the same age as myself, and supporters of my generation felt a bond with the likes of O`Rourke, Cormack, Stanton, Stevenson etc. The arrival of Jock Stein instantly changed the side into one of the best I have seen, mainly down to the addition of some outstanding players like Willie Hamilton and Pat Quinn.
There were ups and downs after Stein left but the 60`s were a fantastic time to watch football when European nights were an annual event and we all looked forward to the Derby games in the way that the Hearts fans do now. Eddie Turnbull produced 4 wonderfull years but sadly we went into decline again . Turnbull stayed too long and by the time he decided to go we were relegated just as Hearts had been the previous season.
We never really recovered from that demise thoughout the 80`s and other than brief spells over the past 30 years under Miller, McLeish and Mowbray we have now suffered more than our fair share of mediocrity .
Watching football now is light years away from the stuff I grew up with and I would contadict the OP by saying that my generation are the lucky ones.

Kaiser1962
22-08-2011, 07:54 PM
For me, throughout the Turmbull Era we, and a few other clubs were able to compete with the old firm. It went wrong for us, and every other club outside of the old firm when television money, and home clubs keeping all gate money, made the financies available to the old firm so much greater than other clubs.

That, along with the advent of the Premier League/SPL, created an inequality that will never be corrected. Yes, some clubs have challenged the old firm, including Hibs, but not in any sustained way, and if they do all the old firm does is buy the best players to stifle the opposition, then complain when they fail in Europe about the lack of competition.

That's all.

Absolutely correct.

I would add that we were lucky watching those players then as there is no way that we would be able to keep that team together nowadays.

Times have changed irretrievably.