PDA

View Full Version : Price of (english) football

Hibeesb0unc3
21-08-2011, 05:57 PM
read this in the guardian today
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/aug/16/premier-league-football-ticket-prices

DC_Hibs
21-08-2011, 06:53 PM
read this in the guardian today
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2011/aug/16/premier-league-football-ticket-prices

He covered the two points that I was hoping to see:

The increased ticket prices are mostly going into the pockets of the overpaid players (why anyone in their right mind would be willing to contribute towards that horrible little weasle Ashley Cole's lifestyle - as an example - I will never understand).

The normal football fan is being priced out to be replaced by the new found "footie fans". I met Chelsea fans on holiday in 96 and they were struggling to afford tickets back then which was when the likes of Vialli and Gullit were around. Home Counties/posh boys galore at the London clubs no doubt.

They are probably getting better value for their money than Hibs fans are getting just now of course.

€10,50 for a ticket to see Energie Cottbus/Eintracht Frankfurt in a few weeks. Second division fair enough but no ringpieces on display on the pitch or terracing....plenty badly dressed mullet heids mind.

PISTOL1875
21-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Some of the prices club charge are awful but some clubs charge decent rates to watch games.. Manchester City fans were getting charged £31 and £36 for the match today at Bolton.. Next week at White Hart Lane , Spurs are charging us £53.. I went to Sunderland v Newcastle yesterday and the price I was charged was £30. Was away up in the gods but still good value...

(((Fergus)))
21-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Some of the prices club charge are awful but some clubs charge decent rates to watch games.. Manchester City fans were getting charged £31 and £36 for the match today at Bolton.. Next week at White Hart Lane , Spurs are charging us £53.. I went to Sunderland v Newcastle yesterday and the price I was charged was £30. Was away up in the gods but still good value...

Who's "us"?

Gatecrasher
21-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Who's "us"?
didnt you know we are playing spurs next week? get down the TO, they are selling like hot cakes :agree:

Kaiser1962
21-08-2011, 08:20 PM

We had a look at Blackburn recently and season before last they had an income of £58m with gate money/matchday income totalling just £6m of the total. Seems gate money is not hugely important in the overall scheme of things.

PISTOL1875
21-08-2011, 08:26 PM
We had a look at Blackburn recently and season before last they had an income of £58m with gate money/matchday income totalling just £6m of the total. Seems gate money is not hugely important in the overall scheme of things.

The fact that all clubs receive such large amounts of cash from SKY and other avenue's , contributes to the fact that they have ticket prices at good rates.. Last season , Man City had a flat rate of £38 for all matches that didnt include the Top 4.. Any game that did involve the Top 4 had a rate of £48..

Chelsea this year have went far too far in my book. Games that involve the top 4 , Spurs and Liverpool are now considered Category AA.. The prices for these games are a whopping £89.. That is a disgrace in my eyes...

Hibs07p
22-08-2011, 12:08 PM
I done the Old Trafford tour in July, and according to the tour guide, season tickets were still available for this season. That's the first time he could remember that ever happening.

Sunny Leith
22-08-2011, 12:35 PM
The fact that all clubs receive such large amounts of cash from SKY and other avenue's , contributes to the fact that they have ticket prices at good rates.. Last season , Man City had a flat rate of £38 for all matches that didnt include the Top 4.. Any game that did involve the Top 4 had a rate of £48..

Chelsea this year have went far too far in my book. Games that involve the top 4 , Spurs and Liverpool are now considered Category AA.. The prices for these games are a whopping £89.. That is a disgrace in my eyes...

Pistol away back to Sunderland eh! For all the many millions that City have spent, the fact remains you will finish 3rd in the league again.

Chelsea charge extra for these games first because they are based in London where I imagine everything is more expensive and secondly because our stadium is not big enough to charge lower prices sadly. I did not know about 89 pounds a ticket but London clubs will always be the most expenisive teams to watch.

More importantly Hibs charge adults £20/£25 to watch home games - keep watching the attendances fall.

haagsehibby
22-08-2011, 12:47 PM
There was an interesting article in the Times a couple of weeks ago detailing the season ticket prices of EPL clubs. Can't remember all the details but I do remember that Arsenal's cheapest season ticket is £960 and Man Utd's dearest is £961 !! I believe that the top price for the Emirates is £1960. That's a lot of cinema tickets :wink:

Joe Baker II
22-08-2011, 01:39 PM
More importantly Hibs charge adults £20/£25 to watch home games - keep watching the attendances fall.

I wish they did, it was £28 minimum v Celtic for a Sunday 12pm kick off, cannot help thinking they do not want people actually paying at the gate for games.

modsquad
22-08-2011, 02:12 PM
I paid £34 to sit at Goodison on Saturday to watch 2 medioce/poor teams in a ground that has 3 rickety old wooden stands.

Football in the UK is way way way overpriced.

I can't remember if it was on here or JKB where someone had gone to see a top flight game at Fiorentina and had paid a ridiculous 15 Euros.

Until there is a worldwide cap on the maximum wage payable to a player, clubs will pay average players huge salaries

Kaiser1962
22-08-2011, 03:15 PM
I paid £34 to sit at Goodison on Saturday to watch 2 medioce/poor teams in a ground that has 3 rickety old wooden stands.

I can't remember if it was on here or JKB where someone had gone to see a top flight game at Fiorentina and had paid a ridiculous 15 Euros.

Until there is a worldwide cap on the maximum wage payable to a player, clubs will pay average players huge salaries

But its the TV money that is causing the imbalance and it is in European competition that this imbalance is most obvious. Clubs with poor TV income need to increase the gate money to try to bridge the gap which is growing and is now, IMO, insurmountable.

StevieC
22-08-2011, 03:24 PM
I went to Sunderland v Newcastle yesterday and the price I was charged was £30. Was away up in the gods but still good value...

Depends who you were supporting. :wink:

My ticket for the away end was £35 .. might not have been up in "the gods" but it certainly felt like heaven. :greengrin

patlowe
22-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Can anyone make an equivalent calculation for hibs based on the article's point on inflation? ie ticket prices at ER in 1989/90 and inflation of 77.1%. 700-1000% is absolutely insane, regardless of extraneous circumstances.

PISTOL1875
22-08-2011, 04:39 PM
Depends who you were supporting. :wink:

My ticket for the away end was £35 .. might not have been up in "the gods" but it certainly felt like heaven. :greengrin

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

PISTOL1875
22-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Pistol away back to Sunderland eh! For all the many millions that City have spent, the fact remains you will finish 3rd in the league again.

Chelsea charge extra for these games first because they are based in London where I imagine everything is more expensive and secondly because our stadium is not big enough to charge lower prices sadly. I did not know about 89 pounds a ticket but London clubs will always be the most expenisive teams to watch.

Be quiet please Nicky.. I tell you what , I'll bet you that City finish above Chelski this season. £10 ?? £20 ??

seanshow
22-08-2011, 04:53 PM
I think it was said the price nowadays would be around £8-£10 a ticket, if you take into account the proper inflation rate since the late 80's.

Due to the help of the epl sky deal this just makes the SPL look worse value than ever.
Their ticket prices may be £25-£50 which is horrendous! but look at the quality of player they are getting.
Compare that to what we are getting for £22-£28, its insane. :grr:

As we know the supporters at clubs like, Dundee utd,Motherwell and Kilmarnock etc have dwindled away to a few thousand.

Who's next :taxi

joe breezy
22-08-2011, 06:35 PM
£32 for West ham Leeds on Saturday, amazing atmosphere though...

Hibeesb0unc3
22-08-2011, 07:02 PM

Fair enough it may be London prices but even £89 is out of order. i was looking and seen that the dearest Wigan season ticket was only £345. Granted not the best team but thats cheaper than a hibs season ticket in the east/west i think

Kaiser1962
22-08-2011, 07:16 PM
Fair enough it may be London prices but even £89 is out of order. i was looking and seen that the dearest Wigan season ticket was only £345. Granted not the best team but thats cheaper than a hibs season ticket in the east/west i think

What further highlights the imbalance is that Wigan, excluding media income, brought in less money than Hibs.

88% of Wigans total income comes from TV.

SouthamptonHibs
22-08-2011, 08:17 PM
Prices are decent down in the deep south if you have a season ticket or take a multi ticket deal. Individual prices are a bit steep for championship games.
Pompey this season offered a "super six" deal buy 6 tickets to any of there 1st 11 home games which I purchased for £144 = £24 a game which includes the derby. Which is great price per match considering buying 1 ticket is £30 plus £2 booking fee.
On Sat went over to Southampton v Millwall game, good atmospher over 23k at the game, £27 + booking fee. Saints ticket office encourage fans to buy tickets in advance think it works out £2/£3 per ticket extra if you buy on a match day.
The most expensive ticket i've paid for this season is £28 for the Hibs v Celtic game SPL defo not worth...Petrie get it sorted

Hail Hail

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-08-2011, 08:46 PM
Just been looking at old ticket stubs - HMFC v Hibs Aug '89 = £4!

HUTCHYHIBBY
22-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Keith Wrights winner v The Gers at Hampden = £6

Bobo
22-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Some examples of older european night ticket prices:

1972 v FC Besa 80p (North Stand)
1973 v Hajduk Split £1.50 (Centre Stand)
1973 v Leeds Utd 50p (Terracing)
1974 v Juventus £2 (Centre Stand)
1975 v Liverpool £4 (Centre Stand)
1992 v Anderlecht £8 (East Terracing)
2005 v Dnipro £25 (West Upper)

Wouldn't mind paying the same again to see those teams at Easter Road in Europe.

CFC
22-08-2011, 10:05 PM
FWIW Chelseas ticket prices have always been very very expensive, it was a tenner to sit in the west stand at Stamford Bridge in 1989/90 when we were **** let alone when we now have an expensive wage bill and demand for tickets is high due to success.

Sir David Gray
22-08-2011, 11:04 PM
£89 to watch one game of football is disgusting.

Sir David Gray
22-08-2011, 11:21 PM

I've been to the Wimbledon Tennis Championships for the past 3 years and a ticket for Centre Court during the first week will cost you between £45-£70. Considering that you're guaranteed to see some of the best players in the world and you'll see 3 matches which will last about 6 or 7 hours, that is very good value in comparison with any football match.

Even the men's singles final, which is arguably the biggest and most important tennis match in the world, costs just £120.

You get fleeced for food and drink at Wimbledon but actual ticket prices are very reasonable. Wimbledon is obviously in London and one of the more pricy areas at that and tennis is also traditionally much more of a posh sport compared with football.

Chelsea are at it with charging those sorts of prices.

basehibby
23-08-2011, 02:16 AM
Just been looking at old ticket stubs - HMFC v Hibs Aug '89 = £4!

:shocked: Astounding! - Amounts to a year on year increase of over 9% for the last 22 years - to put that in proportion, over that period the average rate of inflation was just over 2.7%!!!

So if gate prices had kept in line with inflation we'd be paying a princley sum of about £8 for a Derby these days :brickwall:nerd:

The reasons are many fold for this crazy situation. The Taylor Report started it all off as all clubs had to splash out a fortune on stadium improvements - then there was the Bosman ruling which, combined with the advent of satelite TV deals resulted in spiraling player wages.
In the modern day SPL we are lumbered with the additional burden of our proximity to the orgy of excess that is the EPL and Championship - leaving our clubs struggling to compete for half decent players even with gate prices hiked up to the max over the years.

It's a miserable situation in which the only real losers are the fans that pay at the gate - particularly here in Scotland where beyond doubt we have ended up paying dramatically more with little if any improvement to the product on the park
:grr::boo hoo:

CFC
23-08-2011, 02:29 AM
:shocked: Astounding! - Amounts to a year on year increase of over 9% for the last 22 years - to put that in proportion, over that period the average rate of inflation was just over 2.7%!!!

So if gate prices had kept in line with inflation we'd be paying a princley sum of about £8 for a Derby these days :brickwall:nerd:

The reasons are many fold for this crazy situation. The Taylor Report started it all off as all clubs had to splash out a fortune on stadium improvements - then there was the Bosman ruling which, combined with the advent of satelite TV deals resulted in spiraling player wages.
In the modern day SPL we are lumbered with the additional burden of our proximity to the orgy of excess that is the EPL and Championship - leaving our clubs struggling to compete for half decent players even with gate prices hiked up to the max over the years.

It's a miserable situation in which the only real losers are the fans that pay at the gate - particularly here in Scotland where beyond doubt we have ended up paying dramatically more with little if any improvement to the product on the park

Yes, more or less the majority of the fans money for a ticket goes to players wages. I remember seeing a graph which showed how Premiership footballers wages had risen in the last 20 years compared with inflation, it was truly staggering.

franck sauzee
23-08-2011, 03:58 AM
I paid £34 to sit at Goodison on Saturday to watch 2 medioce/poor teams in a ground that has 3 rickety old wooden stands.Football in the UK is way way way overpriced.I can't remember if it was on here or JKB where someone had gone to see a top flight game at Fiorentina and had paid a ridiculous 15 Euros.Until there is a worldwide cap on the maximum wage payable to a player, clubs will pay average players huge salariesI saw ac Milan - man united at san siro in the champions league quarter finals for €20. And we pay more for hibs - st Johnstone its an absolute joke!

Kaiser1962
23-08-2011, 06:43 AM

But if you were in the position of those two clubs, or others who the present system benefits, would you want a wage cap?

Wigan was mentioned before and I said that Hibs brought in more money (excluding TV) than Wigan. Wages paid by both clubs was Hibs £4.8m; Wigan £39m. If, again, you exclude the TV money, Hibs paid out 79% of their non TV income on wages and Wigan paid 780%.

That gap, to me at least, is impossible to bridge.

Woody1985
23-08-2011, 07:14 AM
I've been to the Wimbledon Tennis Championships for the past 3 years and a ticket for Centre Court during the first week will cost you between £45-£70. Considering that you're guaranteed to see some of the best players in the world and you'll see 3 matches which will last about 6 or 7 hours, that is very good value in comparison with any football match.Even the men's singles final, which is arguably the biggest and most important tennis match in the world, costs just £120.You get fleeced for food and drink at Wimbledon but actual ticket prices are very reasonable. Wimbledon is obviously in London and one of the more pricy areas at that and tennis is also traditionally much more of a posh sport compared with football.Chelsea are at it with charging those sorts of prices. I don't think there's any point in comparing the tennis to football as it's not like for like.Tennis can last 3,4 hours or more and is an annual prestige event. You could argue that so is the one game at home vs man u but supporters are expected to pay that every two weeks or more frequently at times.

dangermouse
23-08-2011, 09:19 AM

I thought the spiralling wages was due to TV deals. Look how Hibs had to cut their cloth when the SPL fell out with Sky and ended up with the BBC paying a fraction of that revenue.

Sir David Gray
23-08-2011, 11:33 PM
I don't think there's any point in comparing the tennis to football as it's not like for like.Tennis can last 3,4 hours or more and is an annual prestige event. You could argue that so is the one game at home vs man u but supporters are expected to pay that every two weeks or more frequently at times.

It was just a response to Sunny Leith's comments that Chelsea are so expensive because everything is dearer in London. Wimbledon is obviously in London and although food and drink at Wimbledon is very expensive, the ticket prices are quite reasonable in comparison to other sporting events in the London area.

£89 to watch 90 minutes of a run of the mill football match is just out of order, I don't care who it is.

You would expect to maybe pay that for a one off showpiece game such as the World Cup final or the Champions League final but for a bog standard league match in the Premiership, that is a scandalous price.

For £89, I'd expect my own shirt number, a place on the bench and a cameo appearance in the last five minutes! :greengrin

CFC
24-08-2011, 12:01 AM
Falkirk, I dont think anyone would argue that 89 quid is a good deal in fact its a blatant rip off but clubs only charge these prices because fans will pay them. If anyone is at fault for the state of football it is the fan - as long as fans keep spending silly money clubs are happy to take it off them. If fans clubbed together to boycott en masse then the clubs would lower their prices, until then the extortion will continue unabated. I think its disgusting that clubs charge through the nose for what is 1.5 hours of entertainment but its the fans who pay these prices that are a big part of the problem.