PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bit about CC in BBC gossip column

R'Albin
21-08-2011, 10:20 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14606564.stm

"Colin Calderwood's future as Hibernian manager may be decided by the outcome of the Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle next Sunday. (Sunday Times)"

Would Rod really have the balls to sack him? Meaning he would probably have to go too?

iwasthere1972
21-08-2011, 10:26 AM

"Colin Calderwood's future as Hibernian manager may be decided by the outcome of the Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle next Sunday. (Sunday Times)"

Would Rod really have the balls to sack him? Meaning he would probably have to go too?

Can't see that happening unless we lost 7-0.

Moulin Yarns
21-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Cant' see that happening unless we lost 7-0.

Don't tempt fate!!!

H18sry
21-08-2011, 10:29 AM

It's called a GOSSIP column for a reason :wink:

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Trying to build up a non-story for next week. If we were away to the OF or Dundee Utd where a defeat would not be a huge surprise then there is no story. It is just that it is Hearts and if they turn us over, the fans get angry.

hibiedude
21-08-2011, 10:44 AM
If we lose midweek Calderwood won't be around for the Hearts game

Hermit Crab
21-08-2011, 10:46 AM

Every chance. Berwick have nothing to fear from us and i bet they give us a good game.

bingo70
21-08-2011, 10:48 AM
There's no danger we'd make such a big effort to keep him in the summer then bin him after five games when he's just brought in a rake of signings and the transfer window is about to close.

It's becoming increasingly difficuilt to back CC as results and performances are absolutely woeful but i can't see him being punted for the reason i just gave so no point in wasting what little energy i've got in trying to get him punted.

He has been completely pish though so if he was to go i wouldn't be dissapointed

Kaiser1962
21-08-2011, 10:48 AM

It is unlikely to happen but if it does he will still be here.

Moulin Yarns
21-08-2011, 10:54 AM
interestingly, Colin Calderwood has a better record than Jim Duffy had, and he was in charge for 14 more games the CC. Maybe that is a better way of judging Calderwood.

His record is also only slightly worse than Pat Stanton's was as Hibs manager, although Pat's career was almost three times as long as Calderwood has had so far. Maybe we should give CC some time to get his full team playing together for a reasonable amount of games before we judge.

I'm not saying I'm not disappointed with the results so far this season, but I feel this knee jerk reaction isn't doing anybody any good. It isn't even a year yet!

bingo70
21-08-2011, 11:04 AM
interestingly, Colin Calderwood has a better record than Jim Duffy had, and he was in charge for 14 more games the CC. Maybe that is a better way of judging Calderwood.

His record is also only slightly worse than Pat Stanton's was as Hibs manager, although Pat's career was almost three times as long as Calderwood has had so far. Maybe we should give CC some time to get his full team playing together for a reasonable amount of games before we judge.

I'm not saying I'm not disappointed with the results so far this season, but I feel this knee jerk reaction isn't doing anybody any good. It isn't even a year yet!

I don't want to get rid of CC yet, i'm not sure why as he's been absolutely awful but i don't think the reaction to him is knee jerk though, i think we've been pretty patient with him and i'm surprised there's not been more pressure put on him by the fans.

I can fully undersatnd why some want rid of him and right now i think it's pretty difficuilt to put together a decent argument why we should persevere with him in charge.

mcfly
21-08-2011, 12:24 PM
I don't want to get rid of CC yet, i'm not sure why as he's been absolutely awful but i don't think the reaction to him is knee jerk though, i think we've been pretty patient with him and i'm surprised there's not been more pressure put on him by the fans.

I can fully undersatnd why some want rid of him and right now i think it's pretty difficuilt to put together a decent argument why we should persevere with him in charge.

call ourselves hibs fans??

surely this is the time our fans need to back the team the most, not continually boo them off, get on their case and not offer as much backing as we could.

If we change manager again, the new boss can only work with CC's players ie exactly how CC had to work with Yogi's.

I think we must trust the manager, im not a fan of the tactics of 1 up front but if it starts getting us results and moves us up the table then so be it

Spike Mandela
21-08-2011, 12:38 PM
To turn down money for your manager then sack him a few weeks later would surely be seen as sheer incompetence.

I think CC is safe for this reason alone.

Springbank
21-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Got my ticket for the derby (row 2 seat 2 - hope it's a good omen, I have no other reason for optimism AT ALL thanks to CC)

considering a double sided Banner for Tynecastle :

Tax Crime +
Sex Crime +
Fax Crime =
HMFC

and on the flip

Thanks CC
You WERE
just a
number 2

Both seem pretty valid statements to me, as of right now

3pm
21-08-2011, 12:46 PM
To turn down money for your manager then sack him a few weeks later would surely be seen as sheer incompetence.

I'd agree unfortunately. However, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been discussed.

SneakersO'Toole
21-08-2011, 01:17 PM

I agree. However, it is getting very close to the point where Petrie will have egg on his chin regardless of the outcome. CC needs to perform miracles and fast, which the majority of the support can't see him doing and rightly so.

If CC turns out to be another dud then questions MUST be asked of Petrie. Unfortunately, the only man who can do that is Farmer and I can't see that happening in the slightest.

Cropley10
21-08-2011, 01:19 PM
I think we must trust the manager, im not a fan of the tactics of 1 up front but if it starts getting us results and moves us up the table then so be it

But what if doesn't start getting results?

Einstein defined madness as repeatedly doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome. Nothing has or is improving. Yesterday was football to make your eyes bleed. There are several players he's brought in who are yet to show anything approaching ability or talent in an SPL game.

Beefster
21-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Got my ticket for the derby (row 2 seat 2 - hope it's a good omen, I have no other reason for optimism AT ALL thanks to CC)

Tax Crime +
Sex Crime +
Fax Crime =
HMFC

and on the flip

Thanks CC
You WERE
just a
number 2

You might even consider getting something to support Hibs.

Sir David Gray
21-08-2011, 02:23 PM

It's not knee jerk in the slightest.

He's been here for 10 months now, has brought in a full team's worth of his own players and we've only won NINE games in all competitions during that time.

I don't think stating that his record is better than Jim Duffy's, the manager who was ultimately responsible for our most recent relegation, does anything for Colin Calderwood's case for the defence.

I thought that the club had ultimately made the correct decision in removing John Hughes last year but, if anything, we've actually got worse under Calderwood.

9 wins in 36 matches? Do me a favour! :bitchy:

(((Fergus)))
21-08-2011, 02:32 PM
Every chance. Berwick have nothing to fear from us and i bet they give us a good game.

Wonder if fate has plans for Mr Damon Gray

Viva_Palmeiras
21-08-2011, 03:17 PM
It's not knee jerk in the slightest.

He's been here for 10 months now, has brought in a full team's worth of his own players and we've only won NINE games in all competitions during that time.

I don't think stating that his record is better than Jim Duffy's, the manager who was ultimately responsible for our most recent relegation, does anything for Colin Calderwood's case for the defence.

I thought that the club had ultimately made the correct decision in removing John Hughes last year but, if anything, we've actually got worse under Calderwood.

9 wins in 36 matches? Do me a favour! :bitchy:

I think you might be on to something there... but why? Remnants of deadwood who were given a chance but ultimately were not up to it? You judge him on this time including a massive transition - is that fair? Or if not is it fair to judge from this season making an allowance for the team to gel?

I find it increasingly difficult to support him but I do think he should be given some time. Put it this way, if we dont just what are we saying to potential candidates? We'll let you build a team from scratch but not allow time to bed in? The previous managerial ultimate failures are not CCs fault yet hes burdened by them. And if course thats life at Hibs so tough.

I suppose the question is how much time do you give before he's done with his chance. I'd say 5-6 more games at least. Lets ride out the storm and be stronger for it. Another replacement would be in the same position and unable to change anything until Jan. Better to let CC prove himself to be the man he is. If he cant unless there is a lifeline from Hugton his rep is a bit shot.

eastmainsmsh
21-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Wonder if fate has plans for Mr Damon
Gray

CC is running out of time .......Spoke to someone i know at Berwick about gray and was told he could play at higher level if he put more effort in always thought he would make the breakthru

Iggy Pope
21-08-2011, 04:06 PM

Tax Crime +
Sex Crime +
Fax Crime =
HMFC

and on the flip

Thanks CC
You WERE
just a
number 2

What a great idea. I would wet myself silly if I seen such a banner next week, I weally weally would.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 04:36 PM

Tax Crime +
Sex Crime +
Fax Crime =
HMFC

and on the flip

Thanks CC
You WERE
just a
number 2

I'm not trying to p1ss on your chips but that's up there with the worst banner idea I've ever seen in my life. Nae offence :aok:

Paisley Hibby
21-08-2011, 05:14 PM

I thought the wording at the end of the Sunday Times match report was interesting. Here's what it said.

"With next Sunday's derby followed by an international break, Calderwood needs a result badly - if indeed he wants to remain in his job."
Is their sports journalist Douglas Alexander hinting that Calderwood wants the sack?

EasterRoad4Ever
21-08-2011, 05:27 PM
I thought the wording at the end of the Sunday Times match report was interesting. Here's what it said.

"With next Sunday's derby followed by an international break, Calderwood needs a result badly - if indeed he wants to remain in his job."
Is their sports journalist Douglas Alexander hinting that Calderwood wants the sack?

Let's all be quite clear. CC doe NOT want to be at ER and increasingly appears to be looking for the quickest way out (i.e. get sacked and walk away with some money). EVERYTHING he says and does in the name of Hibernian smacks of a man working his way out of a job. Have we EVER had a manager who has shown SOOOO little passion for the job ? Mowbray was a class act and arguably the most dispassionate and professional manager we've had in years, but even HE looks like a raging Hibby relative to the Comatose Calderwood (CC, see what I did there ?:green grin).

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Let's all be quite clear. CC doe NOT want to be at ER and increasingly appears to be looking for the quickest way out (i.e. get sacked and walk away with some money). EVERYTHING he says and does in the name of Hibernian smacks of a man working his way out of a job. Have we EVER had a manager who has shown SOOOO little passion for the job ? Mowbray was a class act and arguably the most dispassionate and professional manager we've had in years, but even HE looks like a raging Hibby relative to the Comatose Calderwood (CC, see what I did there ?:green grin).

I haven't heard Calderwood say he doesn't want to be here so I don't think we can be "quite clear" about it all, to be honest.

Cropley10
21-08-2011, 05:49 PM
I haven't heard Calderwood say he doesn't want to be here so I don't think we can be "quite clear" about it all, to be honest.

He's never going to say that though is he? He's not stupid.

If he does indeed want to be here then he will need to start turning things round - Hearts away and Aberdeen at home will let us see if we are getting there.

Big question is how long do you allow the team to go on playing badly, incredibly dull and unexciting football, where more often we get beat?

edwards
21-08-2011, 05:56 PM

:top marks

Petrie has now made a complete balls up of the whole situation and will have to carry the burden of the dire play on the park served up by the players CC has inherited. :rolleyes:

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 06:16 PM

If he does indeed want to be here then he will need to start turning things round - Hearts away and Aberdeen at home will let us see if we are getting there.

Big question is how long do you allow the team to go on playing badly, incredibly dull and unexciting football, where more often we get beat?

I know, that's the crux of the matter.

I haven't quite worked out myself when breaking point is.

I wasn't overjoyed when Calderwood was appointed, to be honest I was devastated at the time. Since then, despite a horrendous run of results, I took the positives from the overhauling of the playing staff i.e, his shipping out of the deadwood and the arrivals of good quality players (at least on paper they're good quality).

Even now, I feel our squad is a remarkable improvement on the team he inherited. And on that point, is the malaise that has spread through our club for the past 4 or 5 years making each new manager's job even more difficult because the problem is so deeply ingrained into the culture of the club?

I see teams/players like St Mirren/Goodwin, both of a far lesser quality than our team/players yet they boss us and not only do they beat us, we make them look far better than us.

I see ourselves buy players of a high standard who fail continuously to perform yet the lesser clubs sign lesser players who not only work harder than our squad but perform far higher. Why? Why does this happen?

Do other supporters think like this? Do other supporters feel like their club is one of a kind? Because that's how I feel about Hibs right now, I expect to be beaten, I get excited about a new signing until reality kicks in 5 minutes later and I think "Bet the do the square root of f***all here". Why?

Is it the manager? Was it the last manager? Was it the manager before him? Is it Petrie, has he implemented, maintained and ultimately presided over this horrible culture we have? Have the fans got a major part to play in the problem? Is there a problem? Do others not emotionally attached to Hibs think we have an inherent culture problem at Easter Road? Do they just think we're *****?

"Only at Hibs" as Colin Nish said.

Something's wrong, deeply wrong I feel. Would a seismic change from top to bottom resolve it? Would losing Petrie and Calderwood resolve it? The players would still be here, aren't they the problem as well? Would they pick up if a new man was brought in? And if they did, what does that say about their professionalism? Given that, from what we hear/know, they like and respect Calderwood then is it down to them being just plain, pure p1sh? I don't buy that, they're far better a squad than at least 7 or 8 of the teams in the SPL.

To summarise, I don't know the answer; I've got about 300 questions and I don't have one answer.

I just hope that those who are tasked, charged and handsomely remunerated with the job of answering those questions pull their collective finger out and provide us with a solution.

A supporter's love for this club never dies, we'll support Hibs long after the present staff, manager and directors leave. But the branch of goodwill must extend both ways and whilst we'll support ever more, there's a breaking point for us and as recent attendances depict, that breaking point is nearing it's climax.

This isn't about money either, I think the board adequately back the manager, I think the manager has spent his money wisely, I think the board have spent their money wisely on infrastructure and debt clearance, I think the financial aspect of the club has been catered for well. So why are we left with a derisory run of results, a morbid feeling of doom before kick-off approaches and a succession of managers and players whose career takes a turn for the worst the second they become a Hibernian employee?

I don't know, I honestly don't know. I just hope the custodians of the club and those who represent it find a solution tout de suite.

Kaiser1962
21-08-2011, 06:21 PM

I would settle for dull and unexciting if we were winning but, as you say, it's poor. I am still with him though but, as you said earlier, if results dont improve there will need to be a rethink.

FWIW I think we will improve and be about mid table by the turn of the year.

down the slope
21-08-2011, 06:32 PM
I would settle for dull and unexciting if we were winning but, as you say, it's poor. I am still with him though but, as you said earlier, if results dont improve there will need to be a rethink.

FWIW I think we will improve and be about mid table by the turn of the year.

I hope you are right but based on what ?.

Kaiser1962
21-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I hope you are right but based on what ?.

Based on my indefatigable sense of optimism! :greengrin

I think our players are much better than we've seen and once they get up to speed we will be a decent side. IMO.

BEEJ
21-08-2011, 07:31 PM
"Only at Hibs" as Colin Nish said.

Something's wrong, deeply wrong I feel. Would a seismic change from top to bottom resolve it? Would losing Petrie and Calderwood resolve it? The players would still be here, aren't they the problem as well? Would they pick up if a new man was brought in? And if they did, what does that say about their professionalism? Given that, from what we hear/know, they like and respect Calderwood then is it down to them being just plain, pure p1sh? I don't buy that, they're far better a squad than at least 7 or 8 of the teams in the SPL.

To summarise, I don't know the answer; I've got about 300 questions and I don't have one answer.

I just hope that those who are tasked, charged and handsomely remunerated with the job of answering those questions pull their collective finger out and provide us with a solution.

A supporter's love for this club never dies, we'll support Hibs long after the present staff, manager and directors leave. But the branch of goodwill must extend both ways and whilst we'll support ever more, there's a breaking point for us and as recent attendances depict, that breaking point is nearing it's climax.

This isn't about money either, I think the board adequately back the manager, I think the manager has spent his money wisely, I think the board have spent their money wisely on infrastructure and debt clearance, I think the financial aspect of the club has been catered for well. So why are we left with a derisory run of results, a morbid feeling of doom before kick-off approaches and a succession of managers and players whose career takes a turn for the worst the second they become a Hibernian employee?

I don't know, I honestly don't know. I just hope the custodians of the club and those who represent it find a solution tout de suite.
Good post. :agree:

As regards the highlighted part, the AGM will be along in a couple of months and we can see then if they have any answers.

I've got no doubt that the Board are as frustrated as we are. But unlike us they're the only ones who can do something about it.

Cropley10
21-08-2011, 08:11 PM
Based on my indefatigable sense of optimism! :greengrin

I think our players are much better than we've seen and once they get up to speed we will be a decent side. IMO.

I hope you're right. But I've not seen a shred of evidence to suggest either of these things are true.

chrisski33
21-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Perhaps all the coaching staff should leave when cc goes? werent some of the current coaching team there when mixu and yogi was in charge?

harrsi
21-08-2011, 08:40 PM
I think you might be on to something there... but why? Remnants of deadwood who were given a chance but ultimately were not up to it? You judge him on this time including a massive transition - is that fair? Or if not is it fair to judge from this season making an allowance for the team to gel?

I find it increasingly difficult to support him but I do think he should be given some time. Put it this way, if we dont just what are we saying to potential candidates? We'll let you build a team from scratch but not allow time to bed in? The previous managerial ultimate failures are not CCs fault yet hes burdened by them. And if course thats life at Hibs so tough.

I suppose the question is how much time do you give before he's done with his chance. I'd say 5-6 more games at least. Lets ride out the storm and be stronger for it. Another replacement would be in the same position and unable to change anything until Jan. Better to let CC prove himself to be the man he is. If he cant unless there is a lifeline from Hugton his rep is a bit shot.

As above... Calderwood had to work with a squad an imbalanced and poor squad, who were low on confidence, when he first got the job but had to wait til January before he could make any real changes. His signings towards the end of January pulled us away from serious trouble but then he started to experiment, resulting in us doing so poorly after the split. Since then he's moved on a lot of the p!sh that many wanted seen gone and brought in a few players, who on paper, look like they should be very good in the SPL. Unfortunately, O'Hanlon got injured in his first competitive game, Agogo was injured and Ozzie hasn't done a full pre-season.

Personally of the opinion that we need a proper right back and a player who can either play left back (allowing Booth to play further forward) or an out and out left winger and that hopefully Calderwood is working on this... Really not tryng to defend the manager here because his record has been worse than poor (not to mention the sweeties) but i think that it's got to the point that we need to give who ever the manager is a chance to actually build his own squad and let it develope.

I'm giving it til the end of October before I start twisting my knickers

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2011, 08:52 PM
I don't think calderwood has said anything interesting since he arrived at the. Club.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 09:03 PM
I don't think calderwood has said anything interesting since he arrived at the. Club.

That's nothing to do with whether he's a good manager or not though, BH.

One thing I will give him is that he analyses a Hibs performance far more in tune with our analysis than the two previous managers ever did. Again, that doesn't mean he's a good manager, it just means he sees the same things we do; whether he can fix our problems or not is another matter.

blackpoolhibs
21-08-2011, 09:14 PM
That's nothing to do with whether he's a good manager or not though, BH.

One thing I will give him is that he analyses a Hibs performance far more in tune with our analysis than the two previous managers ever did. Again, that doesn't mean he's a good manager, it just means he sees the same things we do; whether he can fix our problems or not is another matter.
I loved the way he analysed last weeks debacle then picked the same back 4 again. He's a numpty with no idea how to get things right imo,and instead of getting money for him leaving, we are going to end up paying him off, leaving us shorter in the bank again. Retire should walk as well imo too.

Jonnyboy
21-08-2011, 09:15 PM
I loved the way he analysed last weeks debacle then picked the same back 4 again. He's a numpty with no idea how to get things right imo,and instead of getting money for him leaving, we are going to end up paying him off, leaving us shorter in the bank again. Retire should walk as well imo too.

Bloody predictive text :greengrin

Pedantic_Hibee
21-08-2011, 09:18 PM

I think, and I'm second guessing here, that he looked at that back four this week and (partly with his hand forced by injuries) he's said to them "prove to me that last week was a blip, go out there and make amends to me, the fans and yourselves". That's a better approach than dumping them on the sidelines after one game.

The fact he hooked Palsson at half-time is the proof in the pudding with my ethos, i.e "I've given you a chance to make amends and you made an erse of it, take a shower".

harrsi
21-08-2011, 10:59 PM

Not denying that on the managerial front Petrie hasn't got the best of records when it comes to appointments or that he undermined Colllins, who's signings were worse than poor but overall had the right ideas regarding fitness and playing style and given more backing and a better assistant (I know Craig was his choice) would probably have taken the club forward but we've gone backwards since. Mixu wasn't ready for the job and it was our response (the fans) that showed him towards the door (probably the right decision at the time) and when it comes to Hughes, I personally thought he we be a good appointment but after initially being very lucky with results and getting Miller and Stokes signed up, descended into a slavering fool when everything started hitting the fan.

When it comes to ithe Tache himself, personally think he got his fingers burned pretty bad during the McLeish era when we chased the dream by chucking money that we didn't have at trying to win, which almost worked but resulted in the board starting it's prudent outlook (the bank probably had a lot of a say in this), which led to Blobby and fielding more and more of the youngsters. Petrie got lucky with the crop of players that came through the ranks and in all fairness to him he got managed to squeeze a fair few pennies (more than expected in some cases) out of the buying club. Who do you suggest that could do better?

When it comes to Calderwood, I think he should be allowed to see out this window and be given a month or so to try and get his (empthasis the his) team up and running, after that he'll have had 2 windows and plenty of time to bed the new players in making him fair game.... But that's just the way I see it

On a side note, who would you've played in the back four?

Genuinely interested, as in my opinion Palsson is the best option at right back, just now, and whilst Nid could slot into the centre of defence and talk Hanlon/Stephens through a game we'd still be exposed due to the lack of pace... What would your back for have been?