PDA

View Full Version : The Meaning Of Hibernian & The Basics Of Football

Speedway
20-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Got to the ground quite late today by my usual standards. Got in just in time to see the last of the shooting practice against Mark Brown. Murray - missed, Scott - missed, Crawford - missed, Osbourne - missed, Sproule - missed, Gaz - scores. All were delivering half hearted shots, little did I know that this would be today's theme.

It looked like it might be a decent crowd at first but by the kick off became apparent that it wouldn't be. Sub-9,000 for the first home game on a Saturday in lovely weather tells its own story.

Plenty has been written about the match today. I'll concentrate on the individuals and the team overall.

Stack - If he ever wanted to be an outfield player, he got the chance today judging by the amount of balls played back to him to re-distribute. Looked solid technically but didn't see him talking to his defence once except to berate Palsson after Victor gave the Buddies their winning goal. Don't remember the buddies forcing a save from him either really. They scored two anyway.

Palsson -
Way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY too casual in his attitude and play. Must think he's still got Gerrard to pass to and 20 years on the ball in the reserve leagues. Sorry Vicky you were pathetic today. I mean pathetic because he couldn't be arsed supporting Ivan in attack, he couldn't be arsed sprinting back into position and couldn't be arsed with his passing. Our worst player on the day.

Stephens -
Surprisingly far more composed on the ball and whilst not perfect, not a disgrace either. I felt he was reasonable today and certainly made the effort. Maybe the coaching had sunk in.

Hanlon - See Stephens.

Booth -
I am not sure what everyone else thinks but Booth was fouled in the lead up to their opening goal. I was amazed the ref didn't pull it back but then the ref was a bit wonky today too. I felt Booth took a forearm to the shoulderblades that pushed him to the floor. Maybe he just slipped. Superb otherwise.

Why if O'Hanlon was fit, was it the same back four?

Spoon -
Midfield forget it, RB better. I am not sure why he was given every set piece when Sproule, Booth and Galbraith had all demonstrated superior crossing in the match. I felt like going down and taking them myself. I can put a corner ball onto the penalty spot from either side. I can also send a free kick the way the players in the box are running. Spoon can't.

Murray -Far too slow to be in the team but fought as if the game mattered. Pass marks for heart but no longer for ability.

Thornhill -
Pretty depressing in truth. Again, content to demonstrate he's been to the Chris Hogg school of jogging around when sprinting, pressuring, closing down and fighting are required. No heart, no bottle. Should have been hooked sooner. Shame.

Osbourne
Very, very comfortable with the ball at his feet, in no particular hurry to do anything with it though is he? Also without much bottle.

Sproule - What a fighter. His ball punch said it all. I think we all know his limits and I think we know he'll never be the finished article but he wanted to win, he really wanted to win and he was our main threat. Pass marks.

GO'C -
I wondered if his shoulders are getting heavy with carrying the team as he currently is. Another goal from nothing for us. Our only goalscorer this season and fight and graft in spades. Bawled out Sodje for not working hard enough and he's one player who had the right to moan. Wonder if he regrets signing.

Sodje-Scott-Galbraith

Never saw the ball, ok and bottleless respectively. To be fair, Danny got a couple of balls in but there's no great desire on show.

Calderwood - Speaking as a CC fan I think he got it wrong today in his selection. His tactics seemed spot on, the team were drilled and were getting the desired result until the players decided they were scared of mighty St Mirren once they drew level and abandoned the plans altogether.

The ball went back to Stack time after time because the players were scared to carry the ball and beat a man in case they lost possession in their own half. Says a lot about how they assess us in the stands.

I heard someone remark that it was fairly canny of CC to orchestrate the demand for his services in the summer as it deflected attention for his awful track record. I hadn't thought of it like that.

Sadly, I predicted today's score correctly today as well. It seemed wrong on paper but somehow inevitable.

After the ref kindly ended our suffering, I wandered out to the Cowgate in the dying afternoon sun and stood amongst the bustling festival crowds. I looked around and pondered what the original vision of Canon Hannan was intended to achieve in terms of self improvement, whether we'd achieved what he'd originally had in mind and it was mission accomplished or whether it was infinite goal that he saw and was still as valid to support today as it ever was.

I wondered how Whelehan felt to be captain and what pride he might have experienced in being given that responsibility and honour, that he was deemed worthy to carry it.

I wondered if any of our players even understand a tenth of what Hibernian is about. If they did, they'd play with a hell full of fire and desire. On that basis Ivan must do, Gaz does, Murray tries to...but that's about it.

The Falcon
20-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Agree with most of that Speeders and the bits I dont agree with are hardly worth mentioning.

I am beginning to think Palsson is not as good as he seems to think he is and Danny needs to do better when he gets the chance. We have an unbalanced look about us but I agree that Booth was fouled and up until then we were worth our lead.

Cropley10
20-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Got to the ground quite late today by my usual standards. Got in just in time to see the last of the shooting practice against Mark Brown. Murray - missed, Scott - missed, Crawford - missed, Osbourne - missed, Sproule - missed, Gaz - scores. All were delivering half hearted shots, little did I know that this would be today's theme.

It looked like it might be a decent crowd at first but by the kick off became apparent that it wouldn't be. Sub-9,000 for the first home game on a Saturday in lovely weather tells its own story.

Plenty has been written about the match today. I'll concentrate on the individuals and the team overall.

Stack - If he ever wanted to be an outfield player, he got the chance today judging by the amount of balls played back to him to re-distribute. Looked solid technically but didn't see him talking to his defence once except to berate Palsson after Victor gave the Buddies their winning goal. Don't remember the buddies forcing a save from him either really. They scored two anyway.

Palsson -
Way, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY too casual in his attitude and play. Must think he's still got Gerrard to pass to and 20 years on the ball in the reserve leagues. Sorry Vicky you were pathetic today. I mean pathetic because he couldn't be arsed supporting Ivan in attack, he couldn't be arsed sprinting back into position and couldn't be arsed with his passing. Our worst player on the day.

Stephens -
Surprisingly far more composed on the ball and whilst not perfect, not a disgrace either. I felt he was reasonable today and certainly made the effort. Maybe the coaching had sunk in.

Hanlon - See Stephens.

Booth -
I am not sure what everyone else thinks but Booth was fouled in the lead up to their opening goal. I was amazed the ref didn't pull it back but then the ref was a bit wonky today too. I felt Booth took a forearm to the shoulderblades that pushed him to the floor. Maybe he just slipped. Superb otherwise.

Spoon -
Midfield forget it, RB better. I am not sure why he was given every set piece when Sproule, Booth and Galbraith had all demonstrated superior crossing in the match. I felt like going down and taking them myself. I can put a corner ball onto the penalty spot from either side. I can also send a free kick the way the players in the box are running. Spoon can't.

Murray -Far too slow to be in the team but fought as if the game mattered. Pass marks for heart but no longer for ability.

Thornhill -
Pretty depressing in truth. Again, content to demonstrate he's been to the Chris Hogg school of jogging around when sprinting, pressuring, closing down and fighting are required. No heart, no bottle. Should have been hooked sooner. Shame.

Osbourne
Very, very comfortable with the ball at his feet, in no particular hurry to do anything with it though is he? Also without much bottle.

Sproule - What a fighter. His ball punch said it all. I think we all know his limits and I think we know he'll never be the finished article but he wanted to win, he really wanted to win and he was our main threat. Pass marks.

GO'C -
I wondered if his shoulders are getting heavy with carrying the team as he currently is. Another goal from nothing for us. Our only goalscorer this season and fight and graft in spades. Bawled out Sodje for not working hard enough and he's one player who had the right to moan. Wonder if he regrets signing.

Sodje-Scott-Galbraith

Never saw the ball, ok and bottleless respectively. To be fair, Danny got a couple of balls in but there's no great desire on show.

Calderwood - Speaking as a CC fan I think he got it wrong today in his selection. His tactics seemed spot on, the team were drilled and were getting the desired result until the players decided they were scared of mighty St Mirren once they drew level and abandoned the plans altogether.

The ball went back to Stack time after time because the players were scared to carry the ball and beat a man in case they lost possession in their own half. Says a lot about how they assess us in the stands.

I heard someone remark that it was fairly canny of CC to orchestrate the demand for his services in the summer as it deflected attention for his awful track record. I hadn't thought of it like that.

Sadly, I predicted today's score correctly today as well. It seemed wrong on paper but somehow inevitable.

After the ref kindly ended our suffering, I wandered out to the Cowgate in the dying afternoon sun and stood amongst the bustling festival crowds. I looked around and pondered what the original vision of Canon Hannan was intended to achieve in terms of self improvement, whether we'd achieved what he'd originally had in mind and it was mission accomplished or whether it was infinite goal that he saw and was still as valid to support today as it ever was.

I wondered how Whelehan felt to be captain and what pride he might have experienced in being given that responsibility and honour, that he was deemed worthy to carry it.

I wondered if any of our players even understand a tenth of what Hibernian is about. If they did, they'd play with a hell full of fire and desire. On that basis Ivan must do, Gaz does, Murray tries to...but that's about it.

Well said.

HibeeMG
20-08-2011, 11:23 PM
The Meaning of Hibernian

It's very hard to comment on the Meaning of Hibernian at the moment as the ethos of a club bringing together the communities of North Edinburgh and a team playing fast flowing, entertaining football is so far removed from reality that it doesn't seem possible to achieve in the short to medium term.

The Meaning of Hibernian has, understandably, become one of stability mainly because of the Mercer takeover period and the recent financial instability in Scottish football and the wider world.

Although this stability has insured our position as one of the best run clubs in Britain with facilities and a stadium to rival any club of our size, it has completely blinkered the clubs/boards outlook on what is important to us, the fans.

The Basics of Football

I could not agree with you more Speedster. The utter basics are missing in our team.

As someone who played football to a pretty decent level and still dabbles in the game in my mid-thirties, I like to think I'm able to spot and play a pass with ease from 10 yards. Why is it that whenever a professional footballer who should be able to do that better than I can, suddenly becomes inept whenever he puts on a green and white shirt?

I know that I need to get my head over the ball when shooting and not to lean back. They seem to forget that when they cross that white line.

I also know that shooting across the goalkeeper is your best bet for scoring either directly or giving a team mate the opportunity of a rebound. Doesn't that get coached anymore?

And like you, Speedster, I can put a good percentage of corners into the penalty area. They might not be with the pace and swerve needed by a top flight footballer but it's better to get it there than not be able to beat the first defender and have it cleared. Extra practice needed?

Now, I've not got the best first touch in the world, but surely someone who is getting paid to run around with a football all day should be able to have more than a decent ability to control it at the first attempt.

:brickwall

matty_f
20-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Good post Speedway, only bits I'd really comment on are to say that I agree that Booth was fouled (just watched it again on hibs.tv), and disagree about Thornhill - I thought he had a good first half, tbh.

Deliveries into the box were woeful, time and time again and we really need to sort that out and soon.

I don't know where the lethargy at Easter Road comes from - it's been there for years now and it appears that no amount of managerial change or player changes are fixing it. I know there will be some who'll be quick to point the finger at the board but I cannot see how the board at any football club can have an impact on the attitude of the players/club to the extent where we look like we're doing everything half arsed.

I mean, you've got Vlad sacking a popular manager, not paying players, and bumping them for their bonuses, and dropping players against the manager's wishes and they don't have the apparent attitude problems that we have.

Sir David Gray
20-08-2011, 11:40 PM
It's a very good post.

However, although I also felt at the time that Booth had been fouled, I've just seen it on SSN and I don't really see any foul there.

Hiber-nation
21-08-2011, 12:21 AM

Palsson -

Stephens -

Hanlon - See Stephens.

Booth -

Spoon -

Thornhill -

Osbourne

GO'C -

Sodje-Scott-Galbraith

:top marks

I enjoyed reading that far more than I did watching the game. Pity some out there didn't give half the effort that you did.

Hermit Crab
21-08-2011, 03:16 AM
First off :top markspost from the OP. Lets face it we are gash. Lets hope Berwick Rangers dont tuck us away on Tues as they have no reason to fear us. If they do then its ta ta Mr C for sure. I can also see a humping in the derby next Sun despite Hearts getting pumped on Thurs. Sorry for the negativity but ive not seen anything this season that makes me think we are going to do anything other than languish in the lower half of the league table. No confidence, no fight , no spirit, am i being harsh maybe? Am i being realistic - yes definitely. Come on Hibs lets get it together and play like a team. All i want to see is a bit of effort. Not 11 bone idle players who think it is acceptable just to turn up and collect their wages. Season tickets are not cheap and im sure there are many fans who grudge paying £400 per season to watch Sunday amatuer Football, because that it what appears to be on display in Green and White at ER just now.

GGTTH