PDA

View Full Version : Player marks for today

down-the-slope
20-08-2011, 05:35 PM
I am a self confessed Happy Clapper.....however today, second half at least was a real low.

While we were significantly better first 40 mins than last week (although hardly great) the second half was devoid of fight / leadership and the ability to change the pattern.

I can see what the manager is trying. 4-2-3-1....but the players have not grasped it so far and the 3 were so far back from O'Conner most of the time that he was wasting his time winning headers. Also the shocking lack of cover for the ful backs was obvious....anyway to the marks

Stack - 6 - Not the answer for me. Never once claimed a ball crossing the 6 yard box and not organising enough at set plays. He did not have many saves to make but did have one good one first half and his kicking is decent.

Palsson - 5 - He was average until his horlicks of an error, but Ivan was giving little cover. Hooked at HT

Stevens - 5 - Better than last week but still young and needs time and older heads around. Suspect at keeping the line and drawn out of psition a number of times. For his height he won not enough in air

Hanlon - 6 - Decent enough most of the match and the one cool head. Made a number of last ditch tackles and OK distribution. Feel he loses a bit when he is the most experienced player and is having to cover for others.

Booth - 5 - Would have been more other than howler & if he had carried on second half, as first he got down wing and some good balls in...although caught a couple of times. Again the lack of cover from midfield was shocking...under more pressure second half and not so comfortable.

Sproule - 4 - While he had 3 runs that were excellent (one leading to goal and another that he should have scored from) He choose the wrong option many other times and lost possession. He was also woeful in terms of covering and the LB was able to play like a winger most of the match

Osbourne - 6 - There is a player in there and he showed some good control and passing. However some of the game passed him by when it was in the air in first half. Ran out of steam and did not have enough options when on the ball

Murray - 5 - No lack of effort but just not enought effect on the game. Was passed around too often and not close enough to opponents to close space

Spoony - 4 - Like Sproule no cover for RB in first half, and never used the ball to any effect. The confidence he used to show not in any evidence. Positionally naive.

Thornhill - 5 - Decent first half and showed what he has with a couple of threaded passes that created chances. Drifted out of things and became ineffectul.

O'Conner - 6 - Well taken goal and was ok in places. First touch weak at points. Would have benefitted from the 3 playing where they should in close support when we had the ball.

Subs

Galbraith - 4 - He really has developed little. Chose wrong option often and left Booth exposed when under pressure.

Sodje - 4 - Little impact although he put himself about it was not benefitting end product.

Jimmy - 6 - He actually managed to keep the ball and find others with passes. A bit of controlled aggression to win tackles.

Elephant Stone
20-08-2011, 05:48 PM
Stack: 5

Booth: 5. At fault for the first goal but not a bad game, some nice work going forward.
Hanlon: 6. Some decent tackles, good game.
Stephens: 4. Doesn't look comfortable, poor distribution
Palsson: 4. Poor, but not a right back so it would be unfair to be overly critical.

Wotherspon 2: Offered nothing at left mid, OK at right back.
Murray 6: I thought he played well. One of the few who looked to be caring.
Thornhill 2: Completely anonymous, although did lots of running.
Osbourne 5: One of our better players, IMO.
Sproule 6: Looked dangerous, much improved on last week. Nice to see a rare bit of passion from someone in a Hibs jersey, too.

O'Connor 6: Brilliant individual goal, needs much more service. There's a trend emerging here..

Cropley10
20-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Stack - 6 - loud, very loud - organising constantly.

Palsson - 2 - laughably weak with an over inflated opinion of his ability

Stephens - 7 - looks like he's taken a lot on board, thought he did his best at all times

Hanlon - 6 - couple of mistakes but better than last week

Booth - 5 - looks like he's getting worn down by the averageness of those around him

Sproule - 4 - a slower version of the player who played here first time round. Easier than a book to read.

Spoon - 4- better at RB than in the midfield. Greedy when he had two at far post yet missed the near post, claiming a corner.

Thornhill - 2 - the new Brian Kerr. Like playing with 10 men - two leagues out of his depth.

Osbourne - 5 - slow, still recovering - but at least played the simple ball early and in front of his teammate

Murray - 6 - might be passed it - but he cares and he didn't give up.

Garry - 7 - tried and tried - v.poor service - must wonder when he can get away.

Danny - 5 - some threat but not enough to trouble St Mirren

Sodje - 3 - looks very unfit, or certainly lacking match practice

Calderwood - 0 - a complete and utter dud. He's not the answer. We were worse today than we were against Aberdeen at the end of the season.

MWHIBBIES
20-08-2011, 05:50 PM
Stack - 6 - Nothing he could do about either goals.

Palsson - 5 - If he kicks it in the stand we don't concede.

Stephens - 5 - Won most headers and did ok but no the answer IMO

Hanlon - 4 - Just invites pressure with his pointless hoof's. Also didn't win a header all game vs Thomson.

Booth - 5 - Same with Palsson. Did ok going forward.

Thornhill - 5 - I like him but today he was poor.

Murray - 5 - He was ok but offers nothing going forward.

Osbourne - 5 - Kept with ball well but same as Murray going forward

Ivan - 6 - Tried hard and set up the goal.

O'Conner - 6- Nice finish and worked hard but only so much he can do with no help

Wotherspoon - 3 - Horrible

lucky
20-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Stack 5 long ball out defence cost us possession

Palsson 4 bad mistake for 2 goal
Hanlon 5 average again
Stevens 4 better than last week but not good enough
Booth 4 at fault for the first goal regardless whether he was pushed

Murray 3 one day he will pass to a Hibs player going forward
Ozzy 6 Decent player will get better
Wotherspoon 3 why does he play and get to take all set pieces
Sproule 6 only player likely to create

Thornhill 4 game passed him by again

O Connor 6 great goal. Hibs best player again

Galbraith 2 did nothing
Scott 1 he is very poor just runs about and hoofs the ball.
Sodje 3 did nothing of note

Clueless Colin 0 --1 up front against St mirren at home is a joke. Playing players out of position is bad enough but putting Spoony from Left wing to RB shows a manger clutching at straws

Albion Hibs
20-08-2011, 06:07 PM
Stack: 5

Booth: 4. Two weeks on the bounce he has cost us. I dont care that he is young and from the under 19's. I dont think for all the time he spends running down the wing I have ever seen him put in a cross.

Hanlon: 5. Just okay.
Stephens: 4. Needs to use his height more.
Palsson: 3. Poor, Not buying this he is not a right back nonsense, he plays their for his country and he is better their than he is in the midfield, any defensively minded player should never be making that mistake.

Wotherspon 4: Offered nothing from midfield, would get him in there in front of Palsson, but take him off free kicks and corners.
Murray 6: Played well was one of the only was that was involved all day, the rest drifted in and out of the game.
Thornhill 4: Not really involved.
Osbourne 5: For his first start looked very decent, feel quite optamistic about him
Sproule 6: Did very well in the first half drifted in and out during the 2nd half.

O'Connor 6: Took his goal well and worked hard up front.

Either Murray or O'Connor for our best player. Yet again disappointed due to silly silly mistakes. I think CC put out a team that should have won the game, dont see how he can be blamed for today. If I am correct both there goals also came off the back of us having won and taken a corner.

Fenriz
20-08-2011, 06:08 PM
Osbourne - 6 - There is a player in there and he showed some good control and passing. However some of the game passed him by when it was in the air in first half. Ran out of steam and did not have enough options when on the ball

Think he was effected by the clash of heads with Galbraith, was looking very wobbly before he got subbed.

down-the-slope
20-08-2011, 06:27 PM
Think he was effected by the clash of heads with Galbraith, was looking very wobbly before he got subbed.

:agree: also had a second knock - looked groggy. Hope when fit he can drag others up rather than him being dragged down

hibee1994
20-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Stack - 5 - Average, nothing bad to note but didn't see anything good either

Booth - 4 - Hate to criticise him but he tries to play his way out of everything, sometimes a hoof clear is a much better option
Stephens - 5 - Thought he was average
Hanlon - 5 - Again very average
Palsson - 3 - Kept getting beat down that wing, rarely kept his man and a very poor mistake cost us. Then again he's young

Osbourne - 5 - Never showed his true potential in my mind, "patrick viera" didn't show for me but that could change
Murray - 6 - Thought he played well, if it wasn't for him we would have conceded a third. Looked very much focused

Wotherspoon - 2 - Was he even on the pitch? He has showed he isn't ready, two good games for Hibs doesn't make you a first team regular, yet here he is. Not the right man for free kicks or corners. A week or two with the youth squad would do him good, maybe even a loan spell?
Thornhill - 4 - Shot was the only time i had to look in his direction and it was very poor.
Sproule - 6 - He tried today, ran at his man and was always ready to latch on to a through ball. Fancy footwork but he needs more time on the ball and regular through ball service. Hope he will cut inside a couple of times aswell

Garry O'Connor - 7 - Scored yet again and did well for me. Needs more regular service and someone to latch onto his knocked down balls (Phil Airey?).

Subs
Galbraith - 5 - How did this guy get to play for Manchester United's youth side? Another I think needs to be out on loan, regular football may help
Sodje - 5 - Put on too late and considering he's just back from injury, did anyone else wonder why Airey and Agogo didn't make the bench? He tried but looked unfit
Scott - 5 - Looked motivated but his clearence/long-range pass needed a miracle if anyone was going to get to it

Overall - Formation was ridiculous, 4-5-1 is not good for a team who has a young defence and has scored a max of 1 goal in any given game so far. Put in an extra defender or an extra striker but don't put on another midfielder. Calderwood makes good signings...but he can't utilise them tactically. Ozzy not in the box for corners?!?!

Lacking - A natural RB, someone who stays back unlike Booth to leave us with enough defenders against a possible counter. A set-piece taker. Someone with a good long shot ability to lurk outside the box. A Left Midfielder, Wotherspoon is not there yet and needs to be benched. An Assistant Manager, preferably tactically brillant to...ahem...correct the balance:wink: Sir Alex will do!

sahib
20-08-2011, 06:51 PM
[QUOTE=down-the-slope;2892369]I am a self confessed Happy Clapper.....however today, second half at least was a real low.

Translation : I am a self confessed superior class of human being - in my own opinion. :wink:

hibsbollah
20-08-2011, 06:52 PM
Stack 6

Pallson 2 Pish even before his slip. Get him back in midfield and SIGN A PROPER RB!
Stephens 5 Distribution poor but made some important blocks. Best of a shocking back 4 display.
Hanlon 3 The worst ive seen him. Distribution and basic defending poor.
Booth 3 Rotten throughout. Hope hes not another young player who will fade after a great start to his career.

Wotherspoon 4 needs the bench
Osborne 7 Really impressed. Calm, composed, eye for a pass and can brush off a challenge. Keeps it simple. Will be a good signing.
Murray 6 Came onto a game 2nd half
Thornhill 4 disappeared.
Sproule 6 Runs at people, beats people, if he had better ball retention and could cross he'd be playing at a high level. But he can't and hes here so lets make the best of him-off the bench running at players late in the game.

O'Connor 7 Goal superbly taken. Otherwise a mixture of decent and unlucky. He's one of our own.

Galbraith 4
Sodje 4
Scott 3- not a player you want to create goal chances late in a game. Only seems to have one pass, the lofted sand wedge straight up in the air.

Calderwood-1. Really losing patience now. As bad as its been since Williamson.

thebakerboy
20-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Stack 6 didn't do much wrong but didn't help defence by staying on his line.

Paulsson 4 never a right back and was not given much help and although he gave ball away for goal others could have helped

Stephens 5 played OK perhaps should have done better at 2nd. goal but still young.

Hanlon 6 played OK no major errors.

Booth 5 started really well but made the error for 1st. goal but why was he left with 2 players coming at him , didn't play to well after this.

Sproule 7 tried really hard , maybe not quite as fast as he was but now is getting head up looking for passes and layed a beauty on for Spoony but shot went over the bar.

Thornhill 2 rubbish , for 2nd. match I have seen was he really playing.

Osbourne 6 not fit yet but broke play up quite well and always played the easy pass. Why did it take so long to get him off when he was staggering around after 2nd. head knock

Murray 6 he wasn't in the game much in 1st. half but his determination and strength showed later when he was still running and fighting his corner.

Wotherspoon 4 very poor 1st. half doesn't look fit and lost confidence strangely seemed better in 2nd. half at RB

O'connor 8 played with his heart on his sleeve and worked his socks off for the team , scored a cracking goal , got frustrated(booking) and shouted at everyone , might be an idea to give him the captains arm band if Murray not playing.

Subs

Galbraith 5 didn't get much out of DVZ but tried hard

Sogje 4 Not fit

Scott 6 made a difference with his movement and work rate

Manager 2 as in another thread fitness , speed of thought and action , organisation poor , this his job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hiber-nation
20-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Looks like me and the others around me were the only folk who thought GOC was very average today although I do admit he's our only goal threat. Mind you the service he's getting is beyond bad.

Thornhill - he's being played far too far forward but I do wonder if he's actually any good.

Hanlon - He is far better than this surely.....slow, weak, not good on the ball....I really thought he would kick on as well this season.

I can't see where we are going.

Darth Hibbie
20-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Stack - 6 - Never really had much to do tbh

Palsson - 4 - At fault for the second and seemed to be continually being drawn out of position

Stephens - 7 - Thought he had a decent game today was pretty solid and never done much wrong, needs help though.

Hanlon -6 - Solid as a defender but passing was woeful at times

Booth - 6 - Can really play football and his class shows but need to improve on his tackling if he is going to be a defender

Murray - 7 - Pretty solid game

Wotherspoon - 6 - Better in the second half no where near as good as he has been

Thornhill - 5 - Got forward a few tims but was pretty anonymous throughout

Osbourne - 6 - There is a player there, that is for sure. Great control of the ball just short of match fitness and it showed a bit today

Sproule - 6 - Some great runs that got bums off seats but needs to do a bit more

O'Connor - 7 - Done well was isolated at times but 3 in 3 says a lot

Subs

Sodji - 5 - Looked unfit but tried

Galbraith - 4 - Tried that about all I can say

Scott - 6 - Tried hard and took the game to St Mirren

jdships
20-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I am not a great enthusiast re awarding " 1 to 10 " on players performances but felt like commenting on Murray's stint to day.
Thought he , being the senior player in the side, could have organised things better on the park ,or at least attempted to,
He really looks as though his best days are behind him
Sad as he has been an excellent player for Hibs wherever he has been asked to play

Given the overall performance today I think I will be keeping my pension in my pocket over the next few weeks :brickwall

down-the-slope
20-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Stack - 6 - Never really had much to do tbh

Palsson - 4 - At fault for the second and seemed to be continually being drawn out of position

Stephens - 7 - Thought he had a decent game today was pretty solid and never done much wrong, needs help though.

Hanlon -6 - Solid as a defender but passing was woeful at times

Booth - 6 - Can really play football and his class shows but need to improve on his tackling if he is going to be a defender

Murray - 7 - Pretty solid game

Wotherspoon - 6 - Better in the second half no where near as good as he has been

Thornhill - 5 - Got forward a few tims but was pretty anonymous throughout

Osbourne - 6 - There is a player there, that is for sure. Great control of the ball just short of match fitness and it showed a bit today

Sproule - 6 - Some great runs that got bums off seats but needs to do a bit more

O'Connor - 7 - Done well was isolated at times but 3 in 3 says a lot

Subs

Sodji - 5 - Looked unfit but tried

Galbraith - 4 - Tried that about all I can say

Scott - 6 - Tried hard and took the game to St Mirren

Darth....to much alcohol with all those 6's & 7's :greengrin

Darth Hibbie
20-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Darth....to much alcohol with all those 6's & 7's :greengrin

:greengrin The Jack Daniels on the train home may have helped to wipe my memory :party:

In all honestly I thought we done ok until they scored. Had we gone in at half time 1 up it may have been a different game. But alas they bottled it instead.

down-the-slope
20-08-2011, 09:33 PM
:greengrin The Jack Daniels on the train home may have helped to wipe my memory :party:

In all honestly I thought we done ok until they scored. Had we gone in at half time 1 up it may have been a different game. But alas they bottled it instead.
:agree:
lovely day for a match as well.....i might get more understanding myself if i keep retuning to the fridge for refreshment :wink:

Still Cup on tuesday...we can't bugger that up.....can we :rolleyes:

Darth Hibbie
20-08-2011, 09:37 PM
:agree:
lovely day for a match as well.....i might get more understanding myself if i keep retuning to the fridge for refreshment :wink:

Still Cup on tuesday...we can't bugger that up.....can we :rolleyes:

It is Hibs so will keep well away from the bookies for it :greengrin "Thankfully" I need to work on Tuesday night with no chance of getting the day off so I will need to miss it.

down-the-slope
20-08-2011, 09:52 PM
It is Hibs so will keep well away from the bookies for it :greengrin "Thankfully" I need to work on Tuesday night with no chance of getting the day off so I will need to miss it.

If we win comfortably then you can assume you have temp ban from ER.....:na na:

Darth Hibbie
20-08-2011, 09:54 PM
If we win comfortably then you can assume you have temp ban from ER.....:na na:

I often wonder if its my fault :greengrin

Taz_hibee
20-08-2011, 09:59 PM
[QUOTE=jdships;2892859]I am not a great enthusiast re awarding " 1 to 10 " on players performances but felt like commenting on Murray's stint to day.
Thought he , being the senior player in the side, could have organised things better on the park ,or at least attempted to,
Sad as he has been an excellent player for Hibs wherever he has been asked to play

Sorry but have to disagree, IM was along with GOC our best player today, they both showed they have Hibs at heart and never stopped trying all game.

If the rest showed the commitment of these two we would not be struggling like we are IMO

jdships
21-08-2011, 09:02 AM
[QUOTE=jdships;2892859]I am not a great enthusiast re awarding " 1 to 10 " on players performances but felt like commenting on Murray's stint to day.

Sorry but have to disagree, IM was along with GOC our best player today, they both showed they have Hibs at heart and never stopped trying all game.

If the rest showed the commitment of these two we would not be struggling like we are IMO

All down to opinions, as usual, and what we are prepared to accept as " acceptable" :greengrin
Question now is what do the club/players do next ? :confused:

:flag:

Albion Hibs
21-08-2011, 09:04 AM
[QUOTE=Taz_hibee;2893025]

All down to opinions, as usual, and what we are prepared to accept as " acceptable" :greengrin
Question now is what do the club/players do next ? :confused:

:flag:

I will state the obvious and say go out and win the next game?

jdships
21-08-2011, 09:07 AM
[QUOTE=jdships;2893333]

I will state the obvious and say go out and win the next game?

BRILLIANT :top marks
Post of the day !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :greengrin

we are hibs
21-08-2011, 09:18 AM
stack - looked ok- 6
booth- gave away 1st goal but tried to get forward - 6
stephans - his touch is shocking and some off his passing but won most things in the air - 5
hanlon- looked uncomfortable- 5
pallson- not a right back - 3
sproule - tried got past players but still no end product - 6
thornhill- waste of wages not done anything since he has came in - 2
osbourne- has some good and bad passes - 6
wotherspoon- getting played left mid is not working calderwood- 3
murray- looked so slow in the first half improved a wee bit in the 2nd - 6
o'conner - done well up front on his own needs someone to feed of off the knockdowns he makes- 7

calderwood - needs to go now not a manager- 2

going to get murder in the derby if we dont get a ****ing grip need two upfront and o'hanlon playing