PDA

View Full Version : 2 norwegians

Hibiza
19-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Can anyone remember their names, we had them, think early eighties , not even sure they were norwegian.

CropleyWasGod
19-08-2011, 10:58 PM
Sven Mathiesen and Isaak Refvik.

Jonnyboy
19-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Sven Mathiesen and Isaak Refvik.

:agree:

Hibs sent them their air fares to travel over from Norway but the guys arrived by boat at Leith, taking the time to get to know each other as they'd never met before :greengrin

Saorsa
19-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Can anyone remember their names, we had them, think early eighties , not even sure they were norwegian.Sven Mathieson, Isaac Refvik

delbert
19-08-2011, 11:15 PM
Sadly Sven Mathieson passed away just a few months ago, saw them both play every game, Mathieson was a silky midfielder, had some nice touches, whilst Refvik played through the middle, was'nt tall, but was stocky in the same mould as Jimmy O'Rourke, he scored a few goals for us, but both had work permit problems and their stay was short lived.

Hibs Class
19-08-2011, 11:22 PM
Always thought Refvik was the better player for us and was sad he didn't stay. Mathieson didn't make much of an impression.

Ferryhibby
20-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Remember both of their debuts in the league cup against morton, also remember the fight hibs had with the authorities to get them a work permit, if memory serves they didnt let them stay because all the foreign permits had been taken up, but after theyd gone home there was one found, unsurprisingly, for rangers so they could sign prytz (think it was him)

Boris
20-08-2011, 05:53 AM
Refvik was a cracking wee player & pity things didn't work out. As an earlier poster said, Mathiesen passed away not so long ago (after a long battle with cancer I think). He went on to become a well-known TV commentator in Norway (with TV2 I think it was) & I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times in Oslo at the Ulevall stadium when I was working for a Liverpool based newspaper. He remembered his short time at Hibs with fondness & he was very complimentary about Chairman Tom Hart who he said made sure they had the best of everything during their stay.

Zazu62
20-08-2011, 06:41 AM
What year was this? First time I've heard about these 2 Norwegian chaps

Boris
20-08-2011, 08:28 AM
What year was this? First time I've heard about these 2 Norwegian chaps

Late 1970's - early in 78/79 season if I remember correctly.

BEEJ
20-08-2011, 08:54 AM
Remember both of their debuts in the league cup against morton, also remember the fight hibs had with the authorities to get them a work permit, if memory serves they didnt let them stay because all the foreign permits had been taken up, but after theyd gone home there was one found, unsurprisingly, for rangers so they could sign prytz (think it was him)
:agree: It was definitely another case of Hibs trying to break new ground at the time.

We were thwarted by the authorities only for the likes of Ossie Ardiles to be signed by Spurs the following season, which then ushered in a whole host of foreign players to the game in the UK from then on.

Doesn't always pay to be ahead of the game, unfortunately.

Jack
20-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Refvic was tiny.

When they arrived neither had brought their boots, odd I thought for footballers but never mind. Both were taken to Jenners to get a few pairs. The big felly was taken first, 10 minutes later he's sorted.

Refvic was next. None of the boots fitted! They were all too big.

So off they all went to the children's section where the wee felly was duly kitted out.