PDA

View Full Version : Does Ian Murray deserve a testimonial season?

H18sry
17-08-2011, 03:59 PM
As there has been a lot of discussion on Ian Murray's Testimonial thread I thought I would start a poll, and feel free to post both positive and negative comment's :wink:

blackpoolhibs
17-08-2011, 04:08 PM
If this is negative, please point it out to me, i dont think he deserves a testimonial.

Imo he got that money when he left on freedom of contract. Testimonials imo should be for players who spend their 10 years consecutively.

frazeHFC
17-08-2011, 04:14 PM
If this is negative, please point it out to me, i dont think he deserves a testimonial. Imo he got that money when he left on freedom of contract. Testimonials imo should be for players who spend their 10 years consecutively.I agree. I was surprised he was getting one. Pleased for him though.

Andy74
17-08-2011, 04:21 PM
If this is negative, please point it out to me, i dont think he deserves a testimonial.

Imo he got that money when he left on freedom of contract. Testimonials imo should be for players who spend their 10 years consecutively.

Agreed, leave for more cash, fail, come back. Not exactly what testimonials were meant to be about.

It should be for loyalty and service over and above.

Others may disagree but if I was a footballer I simply couldn't and wouldn't play for Rangers. It's a disgusting institution and I could make money that would still leave me comfortable elsewhere.

So, for those reasons I'm giving it a miss.

If Sauzee was playing though I wouldn't miss that opportunity and would just have to lumpt the fact that sme of my cash would be going to Murray and that it might look like I agreed with the thing.

Franck is God
17-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I have no issue with Ian Murray now or in the past but he shouldn't be getting a testimonial.

It is because he allowed his contract to run down in a very calculated way and left for the money (which I have no issue with) and then came running back when it didn't work out.

PeeJay
17-08-2011, 04:30 PM
I voted yes - If I recall rightly, Pat Stanton had a testimonial although he too went West - is it OK if it was to Celtic and not Rangers? :rolleyes:

Times have changed though, Stanton probably needed the money more than Murray will (?) as players weren't paid the nonsense money they receive nowadays...I think Murray has been a good Hibs servant in his time at the club and that's what counts for me, not his time elsewhere.

Must admit I'm not to sure how many Hibs players have actually had testimonials recently, I accept it's not quite a cut and dry situation - still it's going to happen - and if I was in Edinburgh I would probably go along.

Malthibby
17-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Irrespective of Murray's 'right' or otherwise, the testimonial is a chance for some positive vibes at E.R. &
they can't come too early for myself. Looking forward to seeing some heroes & reminiscing on happier times.
GG

Westie1875
17-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Oh great, another opportunity for folk to get ripped into one of our players and create some negativity. Yes, he does deserve one IMO and I'll be there.

H18sry
I voted yes - If I recall rightly, Pat Stanton had a testimonial although he too went West - is it OK if it was to Celtic and not Rangers? :rolleyes:

Times have changed though, Stanton probably needed the money more than Murray will (?) as players weren't paid the nonsense money they receive nowadays...I think Murray has been a good Hibs servant in his time at the club and that's what counts for me, not his time elsewhere.

Must admit I'm not to sure how many Hibs players have actually had testimonials recently, I accept it's not quite a cut and dry situation - still it's going to happen - and if I was in Edinburgh I would probably go along.

Pat had 13 years unbroken service to us before he moved west :wink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Stanton

jdships

Absolutely !
I would be only to happy to attend a testimonial for a lad who has played for a lower league team as a part timer for a good number of years
He has been playing for buttons but remained loyal to the club .
Loyalty is of course like beauty - it is " in the eye of the beholder " :greengrin

:rolleyes:

Beefster
I think a player should forfeit the right to a testimonial as soon as he leaves the club...

BUT I'd have gone to the match if all the proceeds had been donated to charity or perhaps even if the actual percentage for charity had been open and transparent. It's not so I won't be going, I'm afraid.

jdships
17-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Oh great, another opportunity for folk to get ripped into one of our players and create some negativity. Yes, he does deserve one IMO and I'll be there.

:na na:

Franck is God
17-08-2011, 04:37 PM

I am not old enough to have seen Pat play (but I came very close to being named after him) but there is no comparison between Ian Murray and Pat Stanton.

For a start Stanton only played the final year of his career at Celtic and didn't leave when he was at the height of his career and then came back a failure because he had no other options. I'll let others give the rest of the reasons.

PeeJay
17-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Pat had 13 years unbroken service to us before he moved west :wink: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Stanton

Fair point - I've been away for a long time he was the first example that came to mind (the only one in fact ATM) - I know he didn't actually want to leave Hibs either, so maybe I should looked for another example...

I can see the hole I've dug opening out in front of me already - Scheiße!

Franck is God
17-08-2011, 04:44 PM
The only other times I've seen a testimonial awarded to players that haven't had at least a concecutive decade of service is when it is part of a contract like Larsson at Sellick and even then it was just so the board there didn't have to cough up the £1m bonus that he was promised when he signed his last deal

marinello59
17-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Maybe a better question would be 'Does any player deserve a testimonial match in the modern era?' Given that they are a throwback to an age when players in the top league wages were not that great compared to a skilled working man then it is hard to argue in their favour. I guess it depends on the individual player and his circumstances. And a lot of the money made from these events does go to charity.
However there is no hard and fast rule regarding qualification for a testimonials. So does Ian Murray deserve one? He has been a good servant to the club over both periods with us. A team packed with players showing the attitude and desire that he always has would be more than welcome. Good luck to him with this, I hope he really enjoys the occasion, IMHO he does deserve it.

marinello59
17-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Irrespective of Murray's 'right' or otherwise, the testimonial is a chance for some positive vibes at E.R. &
they can't come too early for myself. Looking forward to seeing some heroes & reminiscing on happier times.
GG

:thumbsup:

PeeJay
17-08-2011, 04:49 PM
I am not old enough to have seen Pat play (but I came very close to being named after him) but there is no comparison between Ian Murray and Pat Stanton.

For a start Stanton only played the final year of his career at Celtic and didn't leave when he was at the height of his career and then came back a failure because he had no other options. I'll let others give the rest of the reasons.

No need to lecture me on Pat Stanton - I'm old enough to have seen him every week of his 13 years (well almost!) - I was only drawing a (what I felt was valid) comparison of players leaving and coming back and getting testimonials

... where's that minefield smiley?

Hainan Hibs
17-08-2011, 04:59 PM
I don't think he deserves one and it reeks of the club hitting the panic button and trying desperately to get fans back on side.

Of course, it would be good to see old favourites back in the green and white, but I just can't get hyped up about this testimonial.

HibbyAndy
17-08-2011, 05:01 PM

Correct, Ill be there too.

Mikey
17-08-2011, 05:03 PM
Dearie me.

Mikey
17-08-2011, 05:06 PM
I can't believe that people who say he doesn't deserve a testimonial and won't be going have got the cheek to take part in the competition.

Franck is God
17-08-2011, 05:08 PM
No need to lecture me on Pat Stanton - I'm old enough to have seen him every week of his 13 years (well almost!) - I was only drawing a (what I felt was valid) comparison of players leaving and coming back and getting testimonials

... where's that minefield smiley?

I wish I was old enough to have seen him play but I can only go by what my Dad used to tell me.

I don't really care whether Murray has a testimonial or not and whether I think he's deserving of one doesn't matter as it's already set. I don't need to go to the game and neither does anyone else that feels he is undeserving of one.

marinello59
17-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I can't believe that people who say he doesn't deserve a testimonial and won't be going have got the cheek to take part in the competition.

Really? :faf:

smurf
17-08-2011, 05:18 PM
Within the context of the current game yes he does.

This isn't 1969-1984 folks.

Removed
17-08-2011, 05:18 PM
I can't believe that people who say he doesn't deserve a testimonial and won't be going have got the cheek to take part in the competition. I only entered to win it for my nephew. As a matter of interest why did you make it a free for all as opposed to a fiver a go like the hospitality comps that could have went to a charity?

marinello59
17-08-2011, 05:21 PM
I only entered to win it for my nephew. As a matter of interest why did you make it a free for all as opposed to a fiver a go like the hospitality comps that could have went to a charity?

Feel free to donate a fiver off your own back. Or more.

Captain Trips
17-08-2011, 05:25 PM
The only people at ER whom should get testimonials are the fans for the amount they pay out over the years, sorry but players get plenty of kudos for what they do over the years.

basehibby
17-08-2011, 05:32 PM

I thought all the dough would be going to charity anyway - as is the custom these days with well paid modern pros.

Would be an utter rarity for any player to be at a club for 10 consecutive years these days and watching Murray play you can see he bleeds green and white so no probs from me - I plan to go and will look forward to it.

BroxburnHibee
17-08-2011, 05:38 PM

:hilarious

Hibs.net at its best :greengrin

Removed
17-08-2011, 05:43 PM
Feel free to donate a fiver off your own back. Or more. :rolleyes:

seven nowt
17-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Aye he deserves one.

Barney McGrew
17-08-2011, 06:25 PM

:agree:

Hypocrites.

H18sry
17-08-2011, 06:32 PM

Hypocrites.

Is it also hypocritical to enter a guess the crowd competition without attending? I have paid for and entered many competitions on here, irrespective if I have attended or not, I cannot see what the problem is. :rolleyes:

Barney McGrew
17-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Is it also hypocritical to enter a guess the crowd competition without attending? I have paid for and entered many competitions on here, irrespective if I have attended or not, I cannot see what the problem is. :rolleyes:

You don't think it's even a wee bit hypocritical to say someone doesn't deserve a testimonial and you won't be going, and then enter a competition to try and win a place at said event?

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2011, 06:38 PM
NO! And it's a disgrace that ALL of the money raised is not going to charity! :grr:

I'm still going though :confused:

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2011, 06:40 PM
NO! And it's a disgrace that ALL of the money raised is not going to charity! :grr:

I'm still going though :confused:

Admins can you clear this up - surely this is more hypocritical than entering a competition?

Jay
17-08-2011, 06:48 PM

No I dont think it is hypocritical to enter a guess the crowd and not go, its a totally different thing. People are moaning its happening, are totally against it but want to win a prize to be there? Why not leave the prize for someone who is excited and interested in it?

The reaction to this testimonial has left me gobsmacked to say the least. The money is going to charity! If you really disagree with it say so (as is your right) but to keep going on and on about it and put a charity event down to this level is below the belt.

Its not often I feel sickened by Hibs fans but the over reaction and condemnation of this game is one of the times unfortunately.

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Admins can you clear this up - surely this is more hypocritical than entering a competition?

Whatsup? In my opinion players who have earned decent money from football should not be granted a testimonial match unless all of the money raised from the game is going to charity. I agree that they should be given the opportunity to celebrate their acheivements or special relationships with clubs and fans alike and have no problem with this occasion being a football match. I agree with and enjoy such occasions myself and would not like to miss seeing the collective attraction of past players and heroes. Call me a hypocrite if you like, I will be paying my dosh to attend but would prefer if it was going to charity....................There now you don't need an Admin after all! :wink:

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Its not often I feel sickened by Hibs fans but the over reaction and condemnation of this game is one of the times unfortunately.

Your reaction to folk stating their opinon's an over reaction IMO.

jdships
17-08-2011, 06:53 PM

I voted "NO" for the reasons stated and did not enter the competition :greengrin
What does that make me ? :wink:

You are in danger of stirring up another "I'm a better supporter than you because ........" thread :rolleyes:

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2011, 06:55 PM
Whatsup? In my opinion players who have earned decent money from football should not be granted a testimonial match unless all of the money raised from the game is going to charity. I agree that they should be given the opportunity to celebrate their acheivements or special relationships with clubs and fans alike and have no problem with this occasion being a football match. I agree with and enjoy such occasions myself and would not like to miss seeing the collective attraction of past players and heroes. Call me a hypocrite if you like, I will be paying my dosh to attend but would prefer if it was going to charity....................There now you don't need an Admin after all! :wink:

Why are you going if you don't believe in it?

Jay
17-08-2011, 06:57 PM

:stirrer: ? :fishin: ?

Not quite sure which but it'll not work Mr Danderhall

Albion Hibs
17-08-2011, 06:58 PM
No I dont think it is hypocritical to enter a guess the crowd and not go, its a totally different thing. People are moaning its happening, are totally against it but want to win a prize to be there? Why not leave the prize for someone who is excited and interested in it?

The reaction to this testimonial has left me gobsmacked to say the least. The money is going to charity! If you really disagree with it say so (as is your right) but to keep going on and on about it and put a charity event down to this level is below the belt.

Well said mate I totally agree. I feel pretty confident that I could name a good number of the people who have said "No" without even looking at the list - unfortunatly they generally look to criticise the club and have a go at them for everything, they are so used to doing it they dont see where the line is!

The sad thing is that testimonial occassions are few and far between, I have not had the benefit of going to one before, but my simple view is that it is a great occasion for the club, something fans should be proud of and want to be a part of. Why people will be that way I dont know, I will leave them to if, as far as I am concerned if that is there attitude it will be a much better day without them.

Westie1875
17-08-2011, 06:58 PM

Good point Mikey, perhaps you should disqualify those that fall into that category? :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Why are you going if you don't believe in it?

Read my post eh!

jdships
17-08-2011, 07:02 PM

:thumbsup::top marks

Removed
17-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Good point Mikey, perhaps you should disqualify those that fall into that category? :greengrin I must have missed that bit in the rules :confused:

greenlex
17-08-2011, 07:04 PM
I dont think he should get one as it cheapens the player who would get one for ten years unbroken. He wont need the money to be honest as he left for a good wage.
I am undecided whether to go or not. I am not that fussed to be honest.

silverhibee
17-08-2011, 07:21 PM

Was just thinking the same thing.

Stantons Angel
17-08-2011, 07:23 PM
Ian Murray was a good servant to us and gave his all. He did leave us in an inappropriate manner for the
"cauldron of hate", i even remember him headbutting one of our players there too!
Its not the first time a player has went through there and ended up crocked, and yes we took him back and he has never let us down since.

Pat on the other hand gave us 13 consecutive years of sheer commitment and passion. He NEVER would have left Hibs but was sold out by the club in a dreadful manner! Granted he only had one full season with Celtic but he won more in that time than he did in all his time with Hibs. No one on here would grudge him that.

Whether Ian deserves a testimonial will be answered in the attendance at the game. There has been a lot of work put into putting together events around his testimonial year. You don't have to attend any of them if you dont want to, its really up to the individual to make their own choices.

Its a chance for us to go along and watch a few "well kent faces" show they still have the skills that we used to crave for. Put all this negativity behind you and join in, you never know you may even enjoy it!!

Good Luck Ian :flag:

Jonnyboy
17-08-2011, 07:24 PM
I don't think he deserves one and it reeks of the club hitting the panic button and trying desperately to get fans back on side.

Of course, it would be good to see old favourites back in the green and white, but I just can't get hyped up about this testimonial.

So the fact that this is costing the club nothing and is earning the club nothing is a desperate bid to get the fans back onside? Cannae get ma head round that one I'm afraid.

I'll be happy to go along, knowing I'll get to see a fair few of my old favourites play and that my entry money will mean a deserving charity gets a few bob.

R'Albin
17-08-2011, 08:06 PM

Your reaction to folk over reacting at folks opinions is an over reaction IMO:agree:

Beefster
17-08-2011, 08:06 PM

I think you should make it clear that not everyone who has said that they won't be going has subsequently entered that competition. I didn't enter for that very reason.

Is this documented anywhere? Everything that I've read about the testimonial game says that 'a donation' will be made to charity but implies that the majority will not be donated.

You can be sickened all you want but I'm equally sickened that a footballer who has earned many multiples of an average supporter's lifetime earnings won't donate all the profits to charity.

R'Albin
17-08-2011, 08:07 PM

:thumbsup::hnet:

Westie1875
17-08-2011, 08:18 PM
I think you should make it clear that not everyone who has said that they won't be going has subsequently entered that competition. I didn't enter for that very reason.

Is this documented anywhere? Everything that I've read about the testimonial game says that 'a donation' will be made to charity but implies that the majority will not be donated.

You can be sickened all you want but I'm equally sickened that a footballer who has earned many multiples of an average supporter's lifetime earnings won't donate all the profits to charity.

I'm not sure that will be the case with Murray, how long was he at the huns for? Also, his career will no doubt be cut very short due to illness/injury, I wouldn't be surprised to see him hang up his boots at the end of this season tbh.

ArabHibee
17-08-2011, 08:21 PM
Your reaction to folk over reacting at folks opinions is an over reaction IMO:agree:
Over reacting folk ken whit's going on!!! :greengrin

Hibs Class
17-08-2011, 08:23 PM
I didnt enter the comp because I'm going away for the weekend and so cannot go to the game. I share the view though that testimonials should be for unbroken service.

Hiber-nation
17-08-2011, 08:25 PM
I dont think he should get one as it cheapens the player who would get one for ten years unbroken. He wont need the money to be honest as he left for a good wage.
I am undecided whether to go or not. I am not that fussed to be honest.

Yep agreee. I don't have a strong opinion about it and I like Ian Murray and I didn't have a problem with him going to the huns. But when comparing others who were awarded testimonials we've got Messrs Stanton, Duncan, Rae, Hunter etc all with at least 10 years unbroken service. These things are meant to be about loyalty to the club.

I don't grudge him it but when you think of the likes of Jimmy O'Rourke who never got one then hmmm....

Andy74
17-08-2011, 08:43 PM

Why? I haven't entered but winning the competition would be something which benefits themselves, so is entirely in keeping with those people saying they don't support Murray getting the game and benfitting from their cash.

The competition game is before the match so presumably they can then leave and not watch the game?

Future17
17-08-2011, 08:54 PM
I've voted that Murray doesn't deserve a testimonial.

I like Ian Murray, as a player and as a person. My reasons for voting in this way being that his service to the club that trained him and paid him since he was 18 was ended by freedom of contract, not by a transfer fee. When he returned, Hibs paid him a signing-on fee. When has Murray ever paid Hibs back financially? Answer? Never.

Now I know there are more ways to "pay back" an investment in a player than purely transfer fees. I can appreciate that some people believe that Murray has done this on the pitch. That's an arguable point but given that he took a large signing on fee from Rangers and Norwich, inflated by the absence of a transfer fee or sell-on clause, has he not already enjoyed the benefit of Hibs supporters' charity in his career?

What I would like most of all is for the Testimonial organising committee to come out and actually tell us why Murray is being given a testimonial and why we should give him our hard-earned cash, essentially for nothing? Nowhere in any of the literature I've read does it say what it supposed to set him apart from other players that have played for the club with distinction during the past 12 years. Even his record of 148 appearances and 17 goals, prior to leaving for Ibrox, is quite impressive, but hardly earth-moving. Since he has returned, he has been a pale imitation of the Ian Murray we once knew.

In answer to Mikey as to the hypocrisy of entering the competition, my money helped build the stadium in which the testimonial will be held, my money helped pay the wages which Murray has enjoyed in both spells at Hibs, I helped this website earn the money which keeps it operating, why the hell shouldn't I take every opportunity that this website and this event presents for me to do what any Hibs supporter would want to do?

Albion Hibs
17-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Equally you dont know what percentage will go to charity do you? Whats to say it is not a very high one? Furthermore I am sure any charity would rather have a percentage share of something rather than 100% of nothing - surely you are saying rather than give charity something we should give nothing, hardly the way that makes the world go round is it.

Why? I haven't entered but winning the competition would be something which benefits themselves, so is entirely in keeping with those people saying they don't support Murray getting the game and benfitting from their cash.

The competition game is before the match so presumably they can then leave and not watch the game?

So basically totally oppose the event, the player the day but if you can get in for nothing then do it, again kind of goes against the mindset of some which is the money should go to charity.

The last bit of your comment is nothing short of ridiculous.

If you dont want to go, dont, but dont then enter a competition and try to worm your way in for free, pretty much weakens the stance of anyone complaining about it in the first place as effectively they are just complaning they have to pay for something. A bit typical amongst a growing section of our support, feel they are owed something by the club, want everything their was and for free....on a saturday at 3pm!

sleeping giant
17-08-2011, 09:17 PM

:rotflmao: Brilliant

I feel shan for voting that he doesn't deserve one and that i won't be going. I have nothing against him but i don't think he deserves one. He made his money. Testimonials should be an exception for players who have played continuously for the same club for most of , if not all , their whole careers.

Andy74
17-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Equally you dont know what percentage will go to charity do you? Whats to say it is not a very high one? Furthermore I am sure any charity would rather have a percentage share of something rather than 100% of nothing - surely you are saying rather than give charity something we should give nothing, hardly the way that makes the world go round is it.

So basically totally oppose the event, the player the day but if you can get in for nothing then do it, again kind of goes against the mindset of some which is the money should go to charity.

The last bit of your comment is nothing short of ridiculous.

If you dont want to go, dont, but dont then enter a competition and try to worm your way in for free, pretty much weakens the stance of anyone complaining about it in the first place as effectively they are just complaning they have to pay for something. A bit typical amongst a growing section of our support, feel they are owed something by the club, want everything their was and for free....on a saturday at 3pm!

Winning a cmpetition isn't worming your way any more than winning anything for free.

I wouldn't pay for all sorts of things that I'd happily win a competition for.

Fact is people who don't want to pay for Murray still won't be.

I hope the competition winners pay the entry fee and cover the costs of what they get then if this is the attitude!

Danderhall Hibs
17-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Read my post eh!

Sorry mate - it was a wee bit too long for me. :greengrin

Albion Hibs
17-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Winning a cmpetition isn't worming your way any more than winning anything for free.

I wouldn't pay for all sorts of things that I'd happily win a competition for.

Fact is people who don't want to pay for Murray still won't be.

I hope the competition winners pay the entry fee and cover the costs of what they get then if this is the attitude!

You must be right, lets think about this - a match you dont want to go to, perhaps morally opposed to...I know why not enter a competition to GO!

If you did not want to have colonic irrigation would you enter a competition to win a session of it for free?

Or looking at it another way, if you are against it and really dont want to do, dont you think it would be fairer to not enter and give those that want to win a better chance of getting a ticket to go?

Future17
17-08-2011, 10:06 PM
You must be right, lets think about this - a match you dont want to go to, perhaps morally opposed to...I know why not enter a competition to GO!

If you did not want to have colonic irrigation would you enter a competition to win a session of it for free?

Or looking at it another way, if you are against it and really dont want to do, dont you think it would be fairer to not enter and give those that want to win a better chance of getting a ticket to go?

What if you want to play in the pre-match 7s game but not watch the main match?

PC Stamp
17-08-2011, 10:14 PM
Maybe the competition rules should have stated that you had to commit to attending the game to enter?

I'll be there but if I win I'll be donating the prize to a friend's son. I didn't realise that if I couldn't attend or didn't want to attend the game I'd be branded a hypocrite for trying to win a prize for someone who'd cherish the chance to take part as the prize allows.

Maybe as the now banned 65bd said, you should have made it a £5 entry with proceeds going to Nid's fund? That way it might have been more likely that you'd get those in favour of the game taking part?

Skanko79
17-08-2011, 10:28 PM
Doesnt deserve it in my opinion. He may be a big Hibs fan blah blah blah, any bigger than any of us who have supported Hibs through thick and think spending out hard earned cash watching them?? doubt it. He walked away and came back when he couldnt cut the mustard elsewhere and hasnt been a fraction as good since his return btw. does he deserve it??? no. simple as that.

But that said if all the money is going to charity then the idea is a good one. Just shouldnt be called Ian Murrays testimonial.

basehibby
17-08-2011, 10:37 PM
What if you want to play in the pre-match 7s game but not watch the main match?

:agree: This would make perfect sense - the disgruntled supporter would then be afforded the opportunity to boot Murray up in the air shouting "Are your testes-moany-all now then ya undeserving basturt" before exiting the stadium in style with a personal police escort, thus foregoing the main event.

lyonhibs
17-08-2011, 10:50 PM
Aww, that's my credibility shot. In true Facebook style - 'Like'Wish I could be there for this match. Despite his increasing shortcomings, Murray's determination and commitment to the cause cant be doubted. I hope we dont get a pitiful Jambo-esque attendance for his testimonial. Anything much under 10-12k would be a real shame IMO

Beefster
18-08-2011, 06:13 AM

I have no idea what the percentage is but if you read my previous post in this thread I said that transparency might have persuaded me to go. The secrecy and wording used suggests that it's not a high percentage.

The rest of your post is nonsense and bears no relation to anything that I've said in any posts about the testimonial.

Andy74
18-08-2011, 09:18 AM

Quite simple. I wouldn't pay to go. I would however go along and play a game at ER against ex Hibs players if I won a competition. I didn't enter by the way.

Future17
18-08-2011, 09:30 AM
In true Facebook style - 'Like'Wish I could be there for this match. Despite his increasing shortcomings, Murray's determination and commitment to the cause cant be doubted. I hope we dont get a pitiful Jambo-esque attendance for his testimonial. Anything much under 10-12k would be a real shame IMO

No chance it'll be anywhere near that. We don't get that for most league games these days!

Maybe we should run a competition to guess the attendance with the stipulation that you can only enter if you're actually going.

Future17
18-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Does anybody know who actually decides when a player is awarded a testimonial?

Is this purely based on a group of fans deciding that they wanted to get involved in organising an event of this type and deciding Murray was the only candidate to be the beneficiary?

Did the club suggest it?

H18sry
18-08-2011, 09:42 AM

A percentage is going to charity, what percentage we do not know, when I run charity events 100% of the monies raised goes to charity, not an unknown percentage.
I do disagree with it. A player who left us in his prime without us receiving a fee for all the work we put into making him the player he was prior to going to the darkside, where no doubt he received a big singing on fee, which he will also have received at Norwich then back at Hibs again, does not in my eyes deserve a testimonial, and good luck to all who wish to pay for a bounce game between old Hibs players and the present squad. And at no time have I tried to deter
anybody from going, all I am doing is putting my point of view across.

Steve-O
18-08-2011, 09:57 AM
Murray has probably earned a fair whack more than most of us in the last 10 years or so, therefore I don't think he should have one. And as others have pointed out, he did pesh off to Rangers for even more money and no transfer fee for us! Not sure why we are doing him such a favour when it's Murray who owes us for taking him back when nobody else wanted him!

Is the money going to charity, or at least some of it??

Pretty Boy
18-08-2011, 10:00 AM
I don't really agree with this type of testimonial for anyone so not just an excuse to have a pop at Ian Murray.

Players who have their career cut short by injury probably deserve a benefit match to give them a wee nest egg to retrain to do something else. Likewise a guy who has played his whole career in the lower leagues for minimal money probably deserves his day in the sun against a 'big' team.

However guys who play at a decent level, and i include the SPL in that earn a fair whack as it is, Ian Murray won't be on far off £100K a year i would imagine. Unless all the money, less expenses, goes to charity i just can't agree to it.

The most common argument is that it's a short career, so is a career in the army but these guys don't get a 5 or 6 figure handout when they leave. Yes, they get a decent pension and a fund to retrain in another field but why shouldn't football players do something else when there career is over. Plenty of people have to rethink their career path at some point n their life and i don't get this attitude that footbalers have a short career so should have enough money so they never have to work again.

I'm grateful to Ian Murray for his service to Hibs in his 2 spells with us but i won't be attending his testimonial and will give the £15 i could have spent going directly to charity instead.

jdships
18-08-2011, 10:09 AM
I don't really agree with this type of testimonial for anyone so not just an excuse to have a pop at Ian Murray.

Players who have their career cut short by injury probably deserve a benefit match to give them a wee nest egg to retrain to do something else. Likewise a guy who has played his whole career in the lower leagues for minimal money probably deserves his day in the sun against a 'big' team.

However guys who play at a decent level, and i include the SPL in that earn a fair whack as it is, Ian Murray won't be on far off £100K a year i would imagine. Unless all the money, less expenses, goes to charity i just can't agree to it.

The most common argument is that it's a short career, so is a career in the army but these guys don't get a 5 or 6 figure handout when they leave. Yes, they get a decent pension and a fund to retrain in another field but why shouldn't football players do something else when there career is over. Plenty of people have to rethink their career path at some point n their life and i don't get this attitude that footbalers have a short career so should have enough money so they never have to work again.

I'm grateful to Ian Murray for his service to Hibs in his 2 spells with us but i won't be attending his testimonial and will give the £15 i could have spent going directly to charity instead.

Agree totally with the highlighted part of your post :thumbsup:
A number of posters are saying that the proceeds are going to charity
Can anyone quote source where it states this ? :confused:

Woody1985
18-08-2011, 10:11 AM
:faf:

HibSem
18-08-2011, 10:39 AM
Didn't Ian Murray give us the "finger" gesture at Ibrox during the 3-0 game?

Or did I dream that?

Anyone?:confused:

Beefster
18-08-2011, 10:40 AM
Agree totally with the highlighted part of your post :thumbsup:
A number of posters are saying that the proceeds are going to charity
Can anyone quote source where it states this ? :confused:

From the testimonial year website:

"Ian has agreed that a percentage of any money raised will be donated to his chosen local charities."

http://www.ianmurraytestimonial.net/about.htm

PC Stamp
18-08-2011, 10:42 AM
:faf:

Please stick to the topic. :tsk tsk:

lucky
18-08-2011, 10:54 AM
Not going to the game. However did enter comp but then withdrew as did not want to be a hypocrite. The bottom line he left Hibs for the huns. So in my eyes he does not qualify for a testimonal.

Saorsa
18-08-2011, 11:05 AM
I dinnae agree with testimonials were the player gets any of the money, if all the money was going tae charity then it would acceptable. I think fitba players earn more than enough, why should they get any more? if they haven't made enough or if they've squandered it they can do what everybody else does, their arms and legs dinnae fall off when they stop playing fitba.

As for Ian Murray himself deserving one, I would say no, I'm sure everybody has their thoughts on that but IMO it should be for continuous service and loyalty. Running his contract down so the club got nae fee and making sure he got more for himself certainly isnae my idea of any kind of loyalty but of self interest.

blackpoolhibs
18-08-2011, 12:05 PM
I dinnae agree with testimonials were the player gets any of the money, if all the money was going tae charity then it would acceptable. I think fitba players earn more than enough, why should they get any more? if they haven't made enough or if they've squandered it they can do what everybody else does, their arms and legs dinnae fall off when they stop playing fitba.

As for Ian Murray himself deserving one, I would say no, I'm sure everybody has their thoughts on that but IMO it should be for continuous service and loyalty. Running his contract down so the club got nae fee and making sure he got more for himself certainly isnae my idea of any kind of loyalty but of self interest.

Spot on, Players who have to retire through injury, players who stay 10 years or more yes.

Players who let their contract run down, and pick up the signing on fee, ensuring the club get nowt.

Then said player picks up the bigger wages, and return later, is a no for me.

aliman82
18-08-2011, 12:16 PM
Didn't Ian Murray give us the "finger" gesture at Ibrox during the 3-0 game?

Or did I dream that?

Anyone?:confused:
Aye he did. We should probably hang onto that and use it, along with his transfer, as a stick to beat one of our own with.

I won't be in the country, but am gutted I can't take the opportunity to celebrate a player managing 10 years for us in the modern era. A real rarity that I don't expect to see replicated for a bloody while.

Congruence
18-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Ian Murray desrves this esp. after all the stick he got after he moved on...

Ultimately, it is up to Mr Murray, however I'm sure he will be contributing to charity(s).

HibSem
18-08-2011, 12:27 PM
Aye he did. We should probably hang onto that and use it, along with his transfer, as a stick to beat one of our own with.

I won't be in the country, but am gutted I can't take the opportunity to celebrate a player managing 10 years for us in the modern era. A real rarity that I don't expect to see replicated for a bloody while.

I don't care about Ian Murray or his testimonial either way I was merely asking a question.

ArabHibee
18-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Spot on, Players who have to retire through injury, players who stay 10 years or more yes.Players who let their contract run down, and pick up the signing on fee, ensuring the club get nowt.Then said player picks up the bigger wages, and return later, is a no for me. Hope you've not entered the competition then. :rolleyes::greengrin

aliman82
18-08-2011, 12:47 PM
I don't care about Ian Murray or his testimonial either way I was merely asking a question.

Fair enough mate- I was reading more into what you had written. Just dissappointed with the seemingly unnessacry negativity surrounding what, I think, should be an opportinuty to get the support together irrespective of anything else going on.

Woody1985
18-08-2011, 12:52 PM
Trying to get the support together on something so divisive will be too big a challenge.

Can the committee confirm what percentage will be going to charity?

Is it like those Xmas cards where it's for charity and they get 1% or is it a larger amount@

Beefster
18-08-2011, 01:39 PM
Trying to get the support together on something so divisive will be too big a challenge.

Can the committee confirm what percentage will be going to charity?

Is it like those Xmas cards where it's for charity and they get 1% or is it a larger amount@

That question has been asked repeatedly since the testimonial year was announced with no answer so I'd be surprised if you get one this time.

Woody1985
18-08-2011, 01:46 PM
That question has been asked repeatedly since the testimonial year was announced with no answer so I'd be surprised if you get one this time. I know but if people are going to use it in defence of a testimonial then I think it should be disclosed. The committee obviously read this and can see it's causing discussion then they should put it to bed.The only reason I can think of ignoring it is because it's going to be minute or are waiting to see how much they take in before deciding.I think that it will be a good day but testimonials should be for ten years service, unbroken.

weecounty hibby
18-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I know but if people are going to use it in defence of a testimonial then I think it should be disclosed. The committee obviously read this and can see it's causing discussion then they should put it to bed.The only reason I can think of ignoring it is because it's going to be minute or are waiting to see how much they take in before deciding.I think that it will be a good day but testimonials should be for ten years service, unbroken.

Testimonials should be done away with for these guys. Even if IM had stayed at Hibs for ten years unbroken service. He would have picked up probably in the region of £1m in salary,add on signing on fees and all the other stuff that pro sports guys receive nowadays do you honestly think he needs it. I have always liked IM, except when he went to the dark side, but I just don't believe in testimonials any more. If ALL the money was going to charity fair enoughthat would be different.

sesoim
18-08-2011, 04:21 PM

:agree: Nothing against Murray personally, but he doesn't deserve one. If he is still at the club for another five or six years as a player then coach/manager, fair enough.

sesoim
18-08-2011, 05:21 PM
You don't think it's even a wee bit hypocritical to say someone doesn't deserve a testimonial and you won't be going, and then enter a competition to try and win a place at said event?

I've got an idea for all the fans moaning about the "hypocrisy" of anyone entering the competition that dares to have a negative opinion about the game. Maybe the competition prize should have been to win a REFUND on the ticket you have already bought. That way only people that wanted to go to the game in the first place can benefit from the prize.

Personally, I couldn't give a toss either way.

SunshineOnLeith
18-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I strongly disagree with him getting a testimonial.

A testimonial should be for 10 years unbroken service, because it is meant to reward loyalty.

Ian Murray has never shown any loyalty to Hibs. He's never signed a contract with Hibs apart from when he had no other offers.

The money a player makes from a testimonial can be viewed as a receipt in lieu of the signing on fees they'd get from moving. Ian Murray has had signing on fees from Rangers, Norwich and Hibs, since leaving us first time around.

Finally, he should never have been given his current contract which took him up to 10 years, because he's past it. His appalling lapse which led to Hearts' equaliser in the last derby of last season should have been the final nail in the coffin of his Hibs career.

Despite all this, if all of the proceeds/profits were to be donated to charity, then I'd bite my tongue and probably attend if the game looked like being a good occasion. However, the wonderfully vague 'a percentage' does nothing to tempt me.

weecounty hibby
18-08-2011, 06:16 PM
I strongly disagree with him getting a testimonial.

A testimonial should be for 10 years unbroken service, because it is meant to reward loyalty.

Ian Murray has never shown any loyalty to Hibs. He's never signed a contract with Hibs apart from when he had no other offers.

The money a player makes from a testimonial can be viewed as a receipt in lieu of the signing on fees they'd get from moving. Ian Murray has had signing on fees from Rangers, Norwich and Hibs, since leaving us first time around.

Finally, he should never have been given his current contract which took him up to 10 years, because he's past it. His appalling lapse which led to Hearts' equaliser in the last derby of last season should have been the final nail in the coffin of his Hibs career.

Despite all this, if all of the proceeds/profits were to be donated to charity, then I'd bite my tongue and probably attend if the game looked like being a good occasion. However, the wonderfully vague 'a percentage' does nothing to tempt me.

Not so, usually nowadays when negotiating a new contract they will get a signing on fee just for staying with the same club. Testimonials should be a thing of the past except in cases where a player has had to retire from the game due to injury or as has been stated the money goes to the persons choice of good causes.

sleeping giant
18-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Goodness gracious me. This thread is like Russian roulette !

Who's next ?:greengrin