PDA

View Full Version : 3 at the back?

soproni1
16-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Would this be a better idea? Seems like a lot of our problems defensively come through the central areas, could putting another body in (maybe even employing a sweeper) there, whilst allowing Booth and whoever is RB/RWB play wider and further forward, be a solution to some of our problems?

For example a team of (from personnel available at this moment, regardless of who had 'mare's on Sunday):

3-5-2/5-3-2

Stack

Wotherspoon
Stephens/Murray
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Osbourne
Palsson
Thornhill

O'Connor
Agogo/Sodje/Airey

This would allow Palsson to move back to CM to add a bit of dig, and allow Booth and a new RWB to provide good width on either side when attacking, yet still be around to give a hand when required at the back.

Highly unlikely that this will happen but it seems we may need something from left-field which may just work, as few things have done in the last 18 months

Mango Man
16-08-2011, 01:47 PM
Would this be a better idea? Seems like a lot of our problems defensively come through the central areas, could putting another body in (maybe even employing a sweeper) there, whilst allowing Booth and whoever is RB/RWB play wider and further forward, be a solution to some of our problems?

For example a team of (from personnel available at this moment, regardless of who had 'mare's on Sunday):

3-5-2/5-3-2

Stack

Wotherspoon
Stephens/Murray
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Osbourne
Palsson
Thornhill

O'Connor
Agogo/Sodje/Airey

This would allow Palsson to move back to CM to add a bit of dig, and allow Booth and a new RWB to provide good width on either side when attacking, yet still be around to give a hand when required at the back.

Highly unlikely that this will happen but it seems we may need something from left-field which may just work, as few things have done in the last 18 months

Good call, I liked that formation in the Mcleish era, mind you we had a far better team then, but I still think it would be worth a try.

MB62
16-08-2011, 02:21 PM

3-5-2/5-3-2

Stack

Wotherspoon
Stephens/Murray
O'Hanlon
Hanlon
Booth

Osbourne
Palsson
Thornhill

O'Connor
Agogo/Sodje/Airey

I defo think this is worth a chance away from home in particular and possibly even against the OF at home. Against the likes of Saturday's opponents where we HAVE to win the game and where hopefully the opposition might not be so attack minded, then 4-4-2 is the way to go.

Hibeesb0unc3
16-08-2011, 02:26 PM
you would need three commanding and assured CB's for that formation which we dont have. It's a great attacking formation for example Napoli use this formation and scored plenty of goals albeit with better players than ours. We have the attacking players just not the defensive players for this formation

Spudster
16-08-2011, 03:07 PM
Sweeper needs to be a calm head and composed on the ball. O'Hanlon, Hanlon and Murray aren't exactly Franck Sauzee.

soproni1
16-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Sweeper needs to be a calm head and composed on the ball. O'Hanlon, Hanlon and Murray aren't exactly Franck Sauzee.

Who is?? :not worth

RIP
16-08-2011, 03:39 PM
I expressed same sentiments on another thread

We tried 8 up two back on Sunday and it failed spectacularly

I still rate Murray but as stated regularly he doesn't have the pace for front to back

He can tackle hard though and is an old head

EVENTUALLY
16-08-2011, 03:47 PM
Teams no longer play 3 at the back. What they do nowadays is play 1 or 2 sitting midfielders who are more functional in a role that allows them to be part of the midfield and are positionally easily able to assist the defenders when the oppo are in possession and on the offensive. Playing 2 sitters is not necessarilly a defensive formation as the other midfielders are able to operate further up the park with the forwards. The sweeper role is dead.

Palsson and Welsh as sitters. Thornhill and Osbourne as the other midfielders would be worth a try IMHO.

lucky
16-08-2011, 03:54 PM
I expressed same sentiments on another thread

We tried 8 up two back on Sunday and it failed spectacularly

I still rate Murray but as stated regularly he doesn't have the pace for front to back

He can tackle hard though and is an old head

He cant pass or run so how could he play sweeper? He is fans favorite but how many positions does he get to try before enough is enough. Unfortunately he is not capable of regular SPL football.

stubru59
16-08-2011, 04:30 PM
No matter what system of play you adopt, the players have got to get the basics right. Unless or until that happens, tactics and game plans are just talk.

Hamish
16-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Ian could easily play the sweeper role. He reads a game well and the position doesn't require you to have the greatest of pace. I would have him behind Hanlon and O'Hanlon.

Ain't gonna happen though as CC favours a 4-5-1 and he sees the players at training and all us experts don't.

Franck Stanton
16-08-2011, 05:31 PM
Ian could easily play the sweeper role. He reads a game well and the position doesn't require you to have the greatest of pace. I would have him behind Hanlon and O'Hanlon.

Ain't gonna happen though as CC favours a 4-5-1 and he sees the players at training and all us experts don't.

well the 4-5-1 isn't working and we dont appear to have the players to make it work . [ not a dig at you Hamish, just the system CC wont budge from ]

coco22
16-08-2011, 06:47 PM
well the 4-5-1 isn't working and we dont appear to have the players to make it work . [ not a dig at you Hamish, just the system CC wont budge from ]

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results (Albert Einstein).

major tactical shake up required, should definitely try different formation cos it aint working as it is!

spike220
18-08-2011, 04:26 AM

I could be wrong (and perhaps there is only a subtle difference)but I think what we are trying to achieve in the long term is more like a 4–2–3–1 formation, which will (when working) stop people running at out LB, RB & CB. I also think we are one or two players short to pull this off just yet, but i'd be willing to wait to see if we can get it working. Then we will really have chance of some prolonged success imho.

Id be lloking at something like this:

RB------O'Hanlon----Hanlon-----Booth

---Palsson----------Wotherspoon------

Thornhill-------Ozzie----------Ivan

---------------GOC-----------------

Note the only position we are missing is the RB, it looks as though Palsson is being asked to do the role wihich is robbing us of a good DM and providing only a stop-gap at RB. AM and CF are interchangable with this formation and depending on the opposition etc.

So I think CC hasnt quite got what he needs just yet, but we are getting there, a new team, with a new system and a new formation, give it another 10 games folks and then we will know where we are.

GGTTH

Expecting Rain
18-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Three at the back would be suicidal it is bad enough as it is without encouraging the opposition even more, Calderwoods back to basics comments were very discouraging especially as he was responsible for the inept team selection on sunday, we could address things by playing Wotherspoon at right back, the best of a bad bunch, pray that O`Hanlon is fit though i`ve hardly had time to judge how good he is and remove Stevenson and Murray from the midfield giving Palsson and Osbourne a chance to play in the central midfield roles with O`Connor and Agogo up front, we`re playing St Mirren not Barcelona at home next, we might also require that the manager reminds those who are taking the field to compete for 90 minutes irrespective of the scoreline and that as professionals they should be enjoying situations and the challenges that they bring instead of being frightened of them and that as well as the hoardings is what is suppose to seperate them from those who are watching them.

spike220
18-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Teams no longer play 3 at the back. What they do nowadays is play 1 or 2 sitting midfielders who are more functional in a role that allows them to be part of the midfield and are positionally easily able to assist the defenders when the oppo are in possession and on the offensive. Playing 2 sitters is not necessarilly a defensive formation as the other midfielders are able to operate further up the park with the forwards. The sweeper role is dead.

Palsson and Welsh as sitters. Thornhill and Osbourne as the other midfielders would be worth a try IMHO.

You my friend know what you are talking about!

This is the point I was trying to make in my previos post. I dont think we should give up on the the 4-2-3-1 (or the 4-5-2). This method hasnt been tried tested and found wanting, the fact is we have not got it right yet and it will take time to bed in. We are also short a RB though as I mentioned (and many others) before.

offshorehibby
18-08-2011, 10:45 AM
You my friend know what you are talking about!

This is the point I was trying to make in my previos post. I dont think we should give up on the the 4-2-3-1 (or the 4-5-2). This method hasnt been tried tested and found wanting, the fact is we have not got it right yet and it will take time to bed in. We are also short a RB though as I mentioned (and many others) before.

4-5-2 would definitely give us the upper hand.

sahib
18-08-2011, 12:19 PM
4-5-2 would definitely give us the upper hand.

Does anyone actually know what they are talking about?:greengrin