PDA

View Full Version : Bad Hibs Players

Torto7062
15-08-2011, 02:55 PM
weve had some shockers over the years, who is your worst to wear the Hibs jersey.

Amadou Konte,

Hurtardo,

Alan O'brien,

Zibbi Malkowski,

smurf
15-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Mark Caughey.

HibeeMG
15-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Zibbi 'The Clown' is actually the only Hibs player that I would actually give verbal abuse to in the street! :fuming::grr:

LancashireHibby
15-08-2011, 03:28 PM
The current 11?

Surprised I've got in first with that one :greengrin

hibsbollah
15-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Zibbi 'The Clown' is actually the only Hibs player that I would actually give verbal abuse to in the street! :fuming::grr: Amadou Konte is the only Hibs player that I would prostrate myself in front of, and he also makes the OPs list. Legend is too small a word.

Hibstrooper
15-08-2011, 03:40 PM
Graeme Smith :grr:

Bayern Bru
15-08-2011, 03:50 PM
FFS, Konte got us into Europe!! how many Hibs players can say they've done that? :grr:

Still wake up in a cold sweat at the thought of David Elliott and Rab Shannon. Didn't win a single game with Shannon in defence.

lapsedhibee
15-08-2011, 04:02 PM
What a relief after all the negativity. At last, a thread to lift the spirits. :bitchy:

Bayern Bru
15-08-2011, 04:05 PM
What a relief after all the negativity. At last, a thread to lift the spirits. :bitchy:

I suppose it could be looked upon as optimistic, given that they're no longer at the club... :greengrin

O'Rourke3
15-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Caughey or Hurtado, Joe Keenan, Roddy McKenzie -looked good at Airdrie but p@sh when he played for us. In goals in the 4-1 game I think.

mon the cabbage
15-08-2011, 04:12 PM
FFS, Konte got us into Europe!! how many Hibs players can say they've done that? :grr:

Still wake up in a cold sweat at the thought of David Elliott and Rab Shannon. Didn't win a single game with Shannon in defence.

Nish

Zibbi is the worst i have seen.

lapsedhibee
15-08-2011, 04:12 PM
I suppose it could be looked upon as optimistic, given that they're no longer at the club... :greengrin

It's just chance that no current players have been specifically mentioned. Once this season's scapegoats have been confirmed (obvious candidates so far Stevenson and 'spoon) they'll feature prominently in this thread.

Golden Bear
15-08-2011, 04:13 PM
weve had some shockers over the years, who is your worst to wear the Hibs jersey.

Amadou Konte,

Hurtardo,

Alan O'brien,

Zibbi Malkowski,

Not the worst, but certainly in the top echelons ------------------------ your user name is a wee clue.

:wink:

thebausburst
15-08-2011, 04:20 PM
Hurtardo hands down, total embarrassment of a signing.

ronaldo7
15-08-2011, 04:26 PM

Amadou Konte,

Hurtardo,

Alan O'brien,

Zibbi Malkowski,

Mickey Stewart:wink:

Spudster
15-08-2011, 04:29 PM
Zibby, no contest

Bayern Bru
15-08-2011, 04:45 PM
It's just chance that no current players have been specifically mentioned. Once this season's scapegoats have been confirmed (obvious candidates so far Stevenson and 'spoon) they'll feature prominently in this thread.

Suspect you may very well be right. Add in Hanlon, de Graaf (just 'cause) and Thornhill and I think you'll be spot on.

Hurtardo hands down, total embarrassment of a signing.

Still maintain he was signed so that de la Cruz had a pal. Farce. No surprise McLeish walked shortly afterwards - must've been that embarrassed.

Also Brian Kerr, save for his one winner at the PBS. I'd forgotten about him earlier. Ironic, given how much unseen work he did.

Hakim Sar
15-08-2011, 05:14 PM
Filip Morais, Brian Kerr, Thierry Gatteussi and that Lithuanian fella we had last year.

Add rankin and nish, Graeme Smith and Simon Brown and Zibbi. Barry Prenderville, Lee Power, Patrick Noubissie and Sir Robert of Shannon and Alan Obrien

just_joe
15-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Filip Morais, Brian Kerr, Thierry Gatteussi and that Lithuanian fella we had last year.

Add rankin and nish, Graeme Smith and Simon Brown and Zibbi. Barry Prenderville, Lee Power, Patrick Noubissie and Sir Robert of Shannon and Alan Obrien

I liked Barry Prenderville. Always thought he would have been a good signing on a permanent deal. Agreed with Power and Shannon. was never really a fan of Calum Milne either.

Scorrie
15-08-2011, 05:49 PM
One for the oldies...Stuart Turnbull. Is it my memory or was he really rank?

weedgiehibbie
15-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Paul Tosh and Jamie McQuilken surely both worth a mention

The Hurricane
15-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Jim Blair from St. Mirren the dregs of the barrel

supersauzee
15-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Got to be Zibbi, Ross Chisholm, Alan O'Brien, Alex Marinkov, Hart, joe keenan and noubissie

LeithBoozy
15-08-2011, 07:15 PM
Hibstrooper beat me to it, Graham Smith made Zibby look like Dino zoff. :devil:

Kaiser1962
15-08-2011, 07:34 PM
I know a guy who was a Falkirk director when Duffy bid for Dave Elliott and the bid was being discussed at a meeting. Apparently the bid was revealed to other director's and was met with a stony silence before one of them piped up " Do you think they've seen him play?"

True.

SteveHFC
15-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Paul Tosh

Maroonsaballoon
15-08-2011, 09:05 PM
Chris Hogg for me.

zlatan
15-08-2011, 09:38 PM
On a wage>performance ratio it's Alan O'Brien.

Broken Gnome
15-08-2011, 09:44 PM
Chris hogg

Given the choice of any Hibs player, EVER, it should probably be an unwritten rule than any Player of the Year winners should be exempt. Probably.

Seekyit
15-08-2011, 09:49 PM
Zarabi.

He was shockin.

Jonnyboy
15-08-2011, 10:01 PM

Nowt wrong with your memory :greengrin

74 times he played for Hibs :shocked:

Others mentioned in this thread

Joe Tortolano played 257 games for us and was nowhere near as bad as some make out :wink:

Davie Elliott played 23 times and that was 23 times too many

Paul Tosh - aptly christened as Tall Pish by Mass Hibsteria played 26 times

One not mentioned but who would normally be trotted out is Ally 'Benny' Brazil who played 258 games for us!

scuttle
15-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Earl Jean

smurf
15-08-2011, 10:16 PM
In addition to Mark Caughey an early 80's player Peter Welsh was pretty awful..

Jonnyboy
15-08-2011, 10:20 PM
In addition to Mark Caughey an early 80's player Peter Welsh was pretty awful..

Remember both well - unfortunately :greengrin

Welsh - 19 games and every one of them p!sh

Caughey (World Cup star :faf:) 15 games and every one of them p!sh

There's a pattern there :greengrin

Lee
15-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Lee Power
The Tank
Greg Miller (or was it Graeme?)
Jarko Wiss
Ray Wilkins (for us anyway, and for his "performance" at Ibrox)
Peter Guggi
Mark Caughey
David Farrell
Ian Cameron
Thomas Souwanuni (Falkirk Legend tho:agree:)
Bjarni Laursson (thought he would be good too - maybe that's why I remember him being so bad?)

...Mark McGraw was another major disappointment, but that was mainly due to the fact he was hyped up as the best thing since sliced bread when he arrived at ER, lol.

zlatan
15-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Was Peter Guggi not quite good for us, exploited as a mad ****ger, then disappeared?

Remember him scoring 2 against Ayr in the first division season. I think.

Stonewall
15-08-2011, 10:57 PM

He was undoubtably the worst in my memory: made most of the suggestions on this thread look like Messi.

Lee
15-08-2011, 11:49 PM
Was Peter Guggi not quite good for us, exploited as a mad ****ger, then disappeared?

Remember him scoring 2 against Ayr in the first division season. I think.

Yeah, in fairness, he wasn't too bad for us in most of the games he played thinking about it - started off alright and scored a peach against Ayr in the 4-2 game (scored against Raith too, I think?) Think he played alright when we beat Aberdeen that season too, just thought he faded a bit after that and didn't do too much else - still a bit harsh to label him as bad as the likes of Lee Power, Mark Caughey and the Tank in hindsight, lol :taxi

basehibby
16-08-2011, 12:51 AM
On a wage>performance ratio it's Alan O'Brien.

:agree: Can't remember a more chicken hearted player disgracing the green and white.

Zarabi (an abysmal Mixu mistake?) is in contention but was thankfully swiftly dumped. O'Brien on the other hand was much vaunted and well waged but contributed bugger all despite being given every chance by successive managers and arguably having the attributes to succeed.

Someone mentioned Joe Tortolano earlier and he was certainly a player prone to embarassing howlers and was often the target of the fans' ire. But 'Super Joe' also earned cult hero status courtesy of a sweet left foot which supplied plenty of assists and the odd cracking goal - making him look like a class act next to the clueless hare in the headlights non-entity O'Brien.

Leishy1995
16-08-2011, 01:27 AM
Worse player in my lifetime is Konte, although he did set Sheils up with a brilliant header from inside the 6 yard post.
Close second is Zibby followed by the might that was Sam Morrow before his injury!

KWJ
16-08-2011, 03:36 AM
Some of the players listed done alright for us. I know i'm in the large majority but I didn't think the tank was horrific, he got a goal after all.

Paul Tosh for me. Colin Murdock the worst defender and probably Simon Brown just shading Zibbi in goals with Ollie the goalie in behind them.

There's been hunners of below average players like Noubissie, Freddie Daquins and Steve Pinaus kicking about but many didn't really get enough of a chance.

Alex Marinkov wasn't awful but was basically signed as Sauzee's interpreter.

Wilbur
16-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Alen Orman, utter gash.

seven nowt
16-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Hogg was a loyal Hibs servant. I'm gutted to see him away from Hibs and someone puts his name down here. Utter *****. De Graaf, Stevenson, Galbraith, Zibbi, Makalambay, Hart all should get a mention.

Bayern Bru
16-08-2011, 11:20 PM
Hogg was a loyal Hibs servant. I'm gutted to see him away from Hibs and someone puts his name down here. Utter *****. De Graaf, Stevenson, Galbraith, Zibbi, Makalambay, Hart all should get a mention.

Behave!

basehibby
17-08-2011, 12:01 AM

Stevenson is also a loyal Hibs servant whatever you think of his abilities

Gettin' Auld
17-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Tony Higgins was utter cack!!

Kerrplunk
17-08-2011, 10:12 AM
Surprised he has not been mentioned more on this thread but my vote goes to Jamie McQuilken - truely awful player for us.

smurf
17-08-2011, 10:35 AM
Paul Tosh & Lee Power what was that about? Are lawyers watching....

Sandy
17-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Can't believe no one has mentioned Tony Caig :confused:

Franck is God
17-08-2011, 11:29 AM
I don't like threads like these as they are never about players that were poor for Hibs they just become about players some don't like.

There are players that have arrived at ER and been disappointing for us and done well elsewhere, Paul Wright is one of the first names that springs to mind.

There are others that have left too soon or played in the wrong position, a friend of mine maintains he doesn't actually remember Paul Hartley playing for us despite him playing a major part in our promotion back from the 1st division.

There are names listed on here of guys that were lucky to have played a handful of matches, how can you honestly say they were rubbish if you only saw them in one match. There were performances from Derek Riordan last season that if you had only seen that game you could be forgiven for wondering how he ever managed to become a professional footballer never mind score a wonder goal.

There are a lot of players that I have seen over the last 30 years that I have rated highly that have gone on to do nothing and not quite as many but some that I have thought were donkeys and ended up doing really quite well for themselves.

Joe Baker II
17-08-2011, 11:35 AM
Surprised the following have been missed out:

Joe McLaughlin (not only terrible player but managed to get the legendary Chic Charnley suspended by arguing with him and getting both players booked -and think he was then out of play off v Airdrie that season).

Derek Anderson (anyone remember Ayr away in 1998 when he was taken off at half time and never played again?)

Gottkalksson was another bad signing though to be fair he was adequate in Division 1.

Rab Shannon was pretty bad given he cost £100k.

To be fair to Hurtado he never got much of a chance and he did not have a bad reputation in Ecuador.

Elephant Stone
17-08-2011, 11:53 AM
Alen Orman, utter gash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFgeZlx1VO8

easty
17-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Surprised the following have been missed out:

Joe McLaughlin (not only terrible player but managed to get the legendary Chic Charnley suspended by arguing with him and getting both players booked -and think he was then out of play off v Airdrie that season).

Derek Anderson (anyone remember Ayr away in 1998 when he was taken off at half time and never played again?)

Gottkalksson was another bad signing though to be fair he was adequate in Division 1.

Rab Shannon was pretty bad given he cost £100k.

To be fair to Hurtado he never got much of a chance and he did not have a bad reputation in Ecuador.

Gottskalksson wasn't a very good keeper, but he still wouldn't make my top 5 for Numpty Hibs Keepers.

The Tank was nae worse a player than Trakys. Granted that's not a compliment. :wink:

One of the worst in my memory has to be Jay Shields, I thought he was a truly woeful footballer. He seemed to get a lot of leeway from the fans for "getting stuck in". Dunno where he's playing now?

Phil D. Rolls
17-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Jas Brown, Mike Conroy

soproni1
17-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Unsure if its just me but I thought Colin Murdock and Roland Edge (maybe it was just he left and Murph made him look bad) were brutal. And that was a brutal season as well prior to the Mowbray era.

Murdock did endear himself slightly by stickin his penalty away at Hampden

Speedway
17-08-2011, 01:10 PM
Wha's in cherge here?

Davie Beaumont is the name you're all looking for.

smurf
17-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Wha's in cherge here?

Will never be forgiven for not pulling down Foster.:grr:

vanNISHtelroy
17-08-2011, 02:02 PM
There are players that have arrived at ER and been disappointing for us and done well elsewhere, Paul Wright is one of the first names that springs to mind.

:music:Hes blue, hes white....:music:

allezsauzee
17-08-2011, 02:05 PM
Makalamby

Billy McKirdy
17-08-2011, 02:31 PM
Thorsten Schmugge :greengrin, I canny mind if he was cack or no, I just his name which reminds me of that old guy who got on my bus last Saturday and who couldnt say where he was going cos he was so pished :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
17-08-2011, 02:43 PM
bad1 adj worse, worst
1. not good; of poor quality; inadequate; inferior = Makalamby
2. (often foll by at) lacking skill or talent; incompetent = O'Brien
3. (often foll by for) harmful=
4. immoral; evil a bad life=
5. naughty; mischievous; disobedient = Riordan
6. rotten; decayed; spoiled=
7. severe; intense =
8. incorrect; wrong; faulty = Calderwoods tactics last Sunday
9. ill or in pain = watching the whole team last Sunday
10. regretful, sorry, or upset = Renewing a ST

James70
17-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Alan O'Brien must be one of the worst players ever to pull on a Hibs shirt and the biggest wage thief though a great con artist.

I find it amazing that we paid hefty compensation to get his services and even more amazing that he always manages to find a new club.

Worst of all there are people who defend him by saying he was a jolly nice chap, he was unlucky with injuries or he was simply never given a decent chance.

For all of Ivan's deficiencies and there are plenty, the guy's commitment to the jersey cannot be questioned, he is still twice the player that O'Brien was and he cost a fraction of what was paid for AOB.

Joe Baker II
17-08-2011, 03:14 PM
Wha's in cherge here?

To be fair he was one of the worst players in what in my view was the best team we have had in the 35 years since I first attended ER.

Although the FOster goal was a painful one - the fact as per previous point we had team that could have won the cup that year made it worse!

Joe Baker II
17-08-2011, 03:15 PM
:music:Hes blue, hes white....:music:

Thought Wright was ok at ER though obviously he had to be sold to get the other Wright, he certainly does not merit inclusion on this list!

Joe Baker II
17-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Gottskalksson wasn't a very good keeper, but he still wouldn't make my top 5 for Numpty Hibs Keepers.

The Tank was nae worse a player than Trakys. Granted that's not a compliment. :wink:

One of the worst in my memory has to be Jay Shields, I thought he was a truly woeful footballer. He seemed to get a lot of leeway from the fans for "getting stuck in". Dunno where he's playing now?

Obvioulsy lucky but when did Shields play - do not recall him?

Jonnyboy
17-08-2011, 07:15 PM

Naw eh wisnae :greengrin

164 games and 41 goals

Removed
17-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Naw eh wisnae :greengrin164 games and 41 goals :agree: and a crackin head of hair and mouser :greengrin

Lee
17-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Thought Wright was ok at ER though obviously he had to be sold to get the other Wright, he certainly does not merit inclusion on this list!

:agree:

Totally agree - think he would have come good for us if we'd held onto him, although we still ended up with the better Wright in the end:aok:

Jonnyboy
17-08-2011, 07:26 PM
:agree: and a crackin head of hair and mouser :greengrin

Went with his rep as a guid dancer tae :greengrin

basehibby
17-08-2011, 10:16 PM
bad1 adj worse, worst
1. not good; of poor quality; inadequate; inferior = Makalamby
2. (often foll by at) lacking skill or talent; incompetent = O'Brien
3. (often foll by for) harmful= Jimmy Scott - to Sean Welsh anyway (sorry Sean - get well soon!)
4. immoral; evil a bad life= this one reserved for a certain Yam on placement at Kaunaus
5. naughty; mischievous; disobedient = Riordan
6. rotten; decayed; spoiled= another Yam one - Stevie Fulton's pus
7. severe; intense = Mogadon Miller
8. incorrect; wrong; faulty = Calderwoods tactics last Sunday
9. ill or in pain = watching the whole team last season
10. regretful, sorry, or upset = Renewing a ST

Couldn't resist filling in the blanks :greengrin

(corrected no 9 for you)

Stonewall
17-08-2011, 10:25 PM
Couldn't resist filling in the blanks :greengrin

(corrected no 9 for you)

6 should be George Best surely.

heretoday
18-08-2011, 11:20 AM

Nice guy Tony Higgins was a bit like the boxer Joe Bugner. He was built for the task but frequently disappointed. 23 goals in 8 years is not much return.

Nowadays he would be considerably faster, fitter and meaner (and richer).

Kojock
18-08-2011, 11:35 AM
One not mentioned but who would normally be trotted out is Ally 'Benny' Brazil who played 258 games for us!

Benny played under six different managers at ER, surely they all couldnt be wrong.:confused:

Scorrie
18-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Benny played under six different managers at ER, surely they all couldnt be wrong.:confused:

Exactly. I won't hear a word against Benny. After all, there aren't many Hibs players who scored a hat trick against Celtic...:greengrin

Big90inOz
18-08-2011, 05:23 PM
Worst player ever has to be Allan O'Brian, absolute imposter. No skill, no effort and no heart

There has been plenty with little skill but none that ever reached the level of mediocrity that was Sproule on a motorbike.

Jonnyboy
18-08-2011, 06:45 PM

I wasn't adding Benny to the list, merely pointing out my surprise that no-one else had :greengrin

Plenty of Benny's old team mates speak highly of him. Just goes to show that real fitba' people ken't whit wis goin on :wink: