PDA

View Full Version : Acres of space in the midfield today ...

GreenOnions
14-08-2011, 05:40 PM
A more general point about today's game is maybe about the way we attempted to press the game.

IMHO - if you are playing against a team that likes to pass the ball thru midfield you must compress that space. It seemed to me that, altho in the 1st half in particular, we pressed quite high up the pitch from midfield - our defence was sitting so deep that there was a huge space in midfield for Killie to play through.

I feel that - if we are going to press high up the pitch from midfield the defence must push right up too and Stack would play almost like a sweeper for balls over the top.

If the defence isn't confident enough about its' pace then we need to sit back a bit and only press when the opposition is nearer our half.

Thoughts?

Arch Stanton
14-08-2011, 05:55 PM
A more general point about today's game is maybe about the way we attempted to press the game.

IMHO - if you are playing against a team that likes to pass the ball thru midfield you must compress that space. It seemed to me that, altho in the 1st half in particular, we pressed quite high up the pitch from midfield - our defence was sitting so deep that there was a huge space in midfield for Killie to play through.

I feel that - if we are going to press high up the pitch from midfield the defence must push right up too and Stack would play almost like a sweeper for balls over the top.

If the defence isn't confident enough about its' pace then we need to sit back a bit and only press when the opposition is nearer our half.

Thoughts?

Indeed, under John Collins we looked great until other teams got the idea that closing down on our back four the minute they got the ball was how to keep us out of games. I think Killie will continue to look like a class outfit until they are found out in the same way.

It's not just the defence that needs to push up - we need to close them down in all areas of the pitch. And as for pace in the defence, it doesn't help that Murray, who is supposed to be a defensive midfielder, hasn't got the legs to get back to help these days.

Alfred E Newman
14-08-2011, 05:56 PM

Thoughts?

It was interesting listening to Jim McIntyre the Dumfy manager on the radio today making some of the same points . If he can see it and that twat Billy Dodds can see it, why cant Calderwood?

Judas Iscariot
14-08-2011, 06:11 PM
It was interesting listening to Jim McIntyre the Dumfy manager on the radio today making some of the same points . If he can see it and that twat Billy Dodds can see it, why cant Calderwood?

He's clueless?!

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 06:50 PM
Stevenson gets the odd tackle in, then gives the ball away needlessly far to much, creates nothing.

Murray tackles everything, misses most of the time, couldnt pass water. Creates nothing.

Wotherspoon, whats happened to him? Cant beat a man anymore, cant pass and creates zilch.

Thornhill did he play today?

Sproule you know what you get with him, he's not changed one bit, he needs the ball played in front of him, but none of the dross that play beside him have the ability to do that very much.

This O'sbourne better be a good player, as that lot are poor, very poor. Yes we beat Inverness, a team thats a certainty to be in the bottom 2 this season.

Franck is God
14-08-2011, 07:08 PM
with the squad that he has put together now there are loads of options all over the field and the next half dozen games will be needed to work out the best combinations.

He started the same eleven that won against ICT which was fair enough but there will no doubt be changes next week against St Mirren.

No point in knee jerk reactions right now, we have played three games that we generally have poor records in anyway and realistcally if someone had said we would have three points on the board after them nobody could be sure where they would have been won.

RickyS
14-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Stevenson gets the odd tackle in, then gives the ball away needlessly far to much, creates nothing.

Murray tackles everything, misses most of the time, couldnt pass water. Creates nothing.

Wotherspoon, whats happened to him? Cant beat a man anymore, cant pass and creates zilch.

Thornhill did he play today?

Sproule you know what you get with him, he's not changed one bit, he needs the ball played in front of him, but none of the dross that play beside him have the ability to do that very much.

This O'sbourne better be a good player, as that lot are poor, very poor. Yes we beat Inverness, a team thats a certainty to be in the bottom 2 this season.

i read Lewis and Spoony in seperate interviews and they have assured us fans that they know its make or break time cos there performances have not been good enough, so its ok they will get better

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 07:39 PM
i read Lewis and Spoony in seperate interviews and they have assured us fans that they know its make or break time cos there performances have not been good enough, so its ok they will get better
our master tactition plays a midfield that can't retain the ball through lack of ability, then give those poor players 1 man to hit up front.

Andy74
14-08-2011, 07:58 PM
our master tactition plays a midfield that can't retain the ball through lack of ability, then give those poor players 1 man to hit up front.

Yet he continues to get incredible backing from a mob that jumped on the last guy at a seconds notice. Quite bizarre.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-08-2011, 08:04 PM
Yet he continues to get incredible backing from a mob that jumped on the last guy at a seconds notice. Quite bizarre.

Serious question, have you ever rubbed one out over a picture of Yogi?

PaulSmith
14-08-2011, 08:08 PM

Andy, get over it. Hughes is away, I liked the guy but it's done and dusted. I hope that we all agree that we just need to bite the bullet until Feb/march 2012 cause CC will not be sacked regardless of league position or results up until this point.
The Board have a strategy and whether we like it or not it includes CC as manager as they thoroughly believe him to be the man to take the club forward.

Me, I've still to see anything on the pitch that tells me that he can manage in the SPL ( or anywhere) but I do like the look and sound of recent signings.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 08:09 PM

Just spat my beer put hahahaha

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 08:21 PM

Judas Iscariot
14-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Twice?

Musta been right funny :wink:

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 10:40 PM
Twice?

Musta been right funny :wink:

Bloody mobile phones. :greengrin

R'Albin
14-08-2011, 11:23 PM

:hilarious