PDA

View Full Version : A club going nowhere...

Nailrod
14-08-2011, 04:28 PM
In the whole of the calendar year 2010 Hibs produced one single memorable performance (memorable for the right reasons!) - the 3-0 win at Ibrox. With well over half of the calendar year 2011 gone we have yet to produce a single one, and it's not difficult to see us going through to the end of the year without one. That will mean one single memorable performance in two years and about a hundred games of football.

Our club is going nowhere. I can't be bothered remembering how many managers have come and gone. We have squandered the legacy of the money we got for O'Connor, Riordan, Thomson, Brown, Whittaker, Sproule, Fletcher. We have nothing to show for it on the pitch. We have squandered the legacy of a youth team who won everything only a few years back - how many of these players made the breakthrough to the full side? How any of them are still with the club?

Fiefdoms aren't healthy. They degenerate into dictatorships, and dictatorships aren't a good way of running things.

If I was the CEO of a company that had performed as poorly as Hibs have as a football team for so many years, I would have tendered my resignation a long time ago, without having to be asked. I wonder how long we're going to have to wait.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 04:31 PM
What about our clubs first ever win in Inverness? Which was of course 2 weeks ago.

Sammy7nil
14-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Agree

I can't recall leaving ER in recent times with a smile on my face saying that was great.

I can recall several shaking my head and saying that was absolute pish

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Agree

I can't recall leaving ER in recent times with a smile on my face saying that was great.

Welcome back. How was your fortnight off?

scuttle
14-08-2011, 04:38 PM
We are going somewhere.............league one

Nailrod
14-08-2011, 04:44 PM
What about our clubs first ever win in Inverness? Which was of course 2 weeks ago.Er... yes. I was dancing in the streets for days after that one. It was one of the highlights of my fifty years as a Hibby.

:fibber:

Kaiser1962
14-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Welcome back. How was your fortnight off?

:tee hee:

Jim44
14-08-2011, 04:48 PM
If you asked any SPL club which team they are guaranteed to beat at least once, probably twice and possibly thrice or more, in one season, there will be only one answer. We are the undisputed soft touch of the SPL and it's a shameful title we don't look like shaking off for years to come.

down the slope
14-08-2011, 04:49 PM
In the whole of the calendar year 2010 Hibs produced one single memorable performance (memorable for the right reasons!) - the 3-0 win at Ibrox. With well over half of the calendar year 2011 gone we have yet to produce a single one, and it's not difficult to see us going through to the end of the year without one. That will mean one single memorable performance in two years and about a hundred games of football.

Our club is going nowhere. I can't be bothered remembering how many managers have come and gone. We have squandered the legacy of the money we got for O'Connor, Riordan, Thomson, Brown, Whittaker, Sproule, Fletcher. We have nothing to show for it on the pitch. We have squandered the legacy of a youth team who won everything only a few years back - how many of these players made the breakthrough to the full side? How any of them are still with the club?

Fiefdoms aren't healthy. They degenerate into dictatorships, and dictatorships aren't a good way of running things.

If I was the CEO of a company that had performed as poorly as Hibs have as a football team for so many years, I would have tendered my resignation a long time ago, without having to be asked. I wonder how long we're going to have to wait.

Never a truer word said, Mikey and Albion etc , how long are you going to put up with this garbage ?. If our board were selling tyres for Farmer the lot of them would have got their jotters a long time ago , i really fear for us these days and for some folk to crow about our FIRST win at inversnekie sums it up .

Davy Mac
14-08-2011, 04:50 PM

:agree:

Thought about this many times but then who essentially measures the guys at the top?

STF?

I would also address the issue of why they are not attempting to fill the stadium?

An empty seat is perishable stock, get the kids in for a fiver but try and do something FFS.

You're dead on with your headline it's a club with no direction, leadership and above all else - attitude.

It's break your heart but I'm struggling to keep my kids interested for the last couple of years and now they are not even asking to go along, PR is crap, marketing and distribution of club merchandise is crap but we have a fantastic stadium and academy so get out the road and let somebody take us forward cause this is a painful slow death.

All in my opinion of course.

marinello59
14-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Never a truer word said, Mikey and Albion etc , how long are you going to put up with this garbage ?. If our board were selling tyres for Farmer the lot of them would have got their jotters a long time ago , i really fear for us these days and for some folk to crow about our FIRST win at inversnekie sums it up .

What did you say about it last week? Weren't you pleased? I know I was although I don't know if that counts as crowing.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 05:03 PM
What about our clubs first ever win in Inverness? Which was of course 2 weeks ago.

a win at Inverness is hardly an outstanding yardstick in football - I remember going there in the 70s and 80s , as we regularly did then , pre-season, and thumping them every time

They are a wee club, with wee resources and a wee support that we now struggle to beat - a 1 nil last minute win up there is not a turning point in our fortunes

marinello59
14-08-2011, 05:05 PM
a win at Inverness is hardly an outstanding yardstick in football - I remember going there in the 70s and 80s , as we regularly did then , pre-season, and thumping them every time

They are a wee club, with wee resources and a wee support that we now struggle to beat - a 1 nil last minute win up there is not a turning point in our fortunes

Caley and Thistle were both Highland league teams then though.:greengrin

basehibby
14-08-2011, 05:05 PM

I hear where you're coming from but I will keep my powder dry until the transfer window is done and dusted and new players have been bedded in. We desperately need a major improvement from last season but we can't know if that's being delivered or not until the product is there on the park for all to see.

We have started the season with a very light squad which I stomped and shouted about on here as much as anybody, but we've since been given assurances that the new recruits will be well worth the wait. If those assurances are delivered on then we WILL be a club going in the right direction although we'll probably have to wait til mid september before we can make an informed judgement on that because, like it or not, we are in the midst of stage 101 of our latest never ending transition period - who said you need the patience of a saint to be a Hibee :rolleyes:

MSK
14-08-2011, 05:06 PM

They are a wee club, with wee resources and a wee support that we now struggle to beat - a 1 nil last minute win up there is not a turning point in our fortunesWow ..big difference nowadays though eh ..they were non-league then and prob on a par with Bonnyrigg Rose/Spartans etc .....jeezo ..some yard stick that ..:confused:

The Falcon
14-08-2011, 05:09 PM

They weren't ICT then. And did they not cost Celtic the league last season :hmmm: Just a thought.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 05:09 PM
Wow ..big difference nowadays though eh ..they were non-league then ...

big difference ?

there should be a big difference - we are a well established club with a big support , ICT are not and never will be

I have been to Telford Street and the old Caley Ground to see Hibs - lets face it we should always aspire above these levels, whether it is Inverness Thistle, Caley, Clach etc or all added together

The Falcon
14-08-2011, 05:11 PM

:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 05:11 PM
I hate the label of happy clappers and doom and gloomers for a kick off.....

IMO the win at Inverness was great to finally break the hoodoo, but my assessment was we were lucky to snatch the 3 points, as Caley should have had penalty and they boy hit post from about 4 yards, a draw would have been fairer but the 3 points were gratefully received....It merely papered over the cracks for me....We look a fragmented and disjointed team, and the Manager stated today we are a long way off being a decent team....Honest opinion yes, but he has brought in 12 players, only 1 being a defender.......Our defence is a mess....

IMO there is something fundementally wrong with our Club, from Board Level right down to the playing staff......How long do we have to suffer days like these????

marinello59
14-08-2011, 05:13 PM
big difference ?

there should be a big difference - we are a well established club with a big support , ICT are not and never will be

I have been to Telford Street and the old Caley Ground to see Hibs - lets face it we should always aspire above these levels, whether it is Inverness Thistle, Caley, Clach etc or all added together

I think most of us here would agree wouldn't we? Nothing wrong with being chuffed when the club we love wins a match though is there? I don't recall anybody saying it made us worldbeaters etc.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 05:16 PM
I think most of us here would agree wouldn't we? Nothing wrong with beinbg chuffed when the club we love wins a match though is there? I don't recall anybody saying it made us worldbeaters etc.

totally agree, the win last week was welcome, reason I posted was that, good though it was, any satisfaction at a 1-0 win at ICT pales into insignificance at a 1-4 defeat at Kilmarnock

Davy Mac
14-08-2011, 05:17 PM

IMO the win at Inverness was great to finally break the hoodoo, but my assessment was we were lucky to snatch the 3 points, as Caley should have had penalty and they boy hit post from about 4 yards, a draw would have been fairer but the 3 points were gratefully received....It merely papered over the cracks for me....We look a fragmented and disjointed team, and the Manager stated today we are a long way off being a decent team....Honest opinion yes, but he has brought in 12 players, only 1 being a defender.......Our defence is a mess....

IMO there is something fundementally wrong with our Club, from Board Level right down to the playing staff......How long do we have to suffer days like these????

Some decent points there but sadly accurate.

What I would say is that any good man-manager worth their salt would at least first and foremost make us hard to beat but 4 goals lost at Killie!

I'm not advocating we go back to the Alex Miller days but CC surely needs to get some points on the board and quickly. We got a wee breakthrough from last week and a point this week would have been fine or am I just asking for too much?

saltandsauce
14-08-2011, 05:18 PM
big difference ?there should be a big difference - we are a well established club with a big support , ICT are not and never will beI have been to Telford Street and the old Caley Ground to see Hibs - lets face it we should always aspire above these levels, whether it is Inverness Thistle, Caley, Clach etc or all added together Big fanbase maybe but currently I don't think we have a big support

MSK
14-08-2011, 05:19 PM
big difference ?

I have been to Telford Street and the old Caley Ground to see Hibs - lets face it we should always aspire above these levels, whether it is Inverness Thistle, Caley, Clach etc or all added togetherWell the same could be said for at least half the SPL teams then ..Killie, Well, D.utd, Dunfermline, St Johnstone etc ..all relatively smaller teams to us ..we should be aspiring to beat that lot too ..week in week out ..

marinello59
14-08-2011, 05:21 PM
totally agree, the win last week was welcome, reason I posted was that, good though it was, any satisfaction at a 1-0 win at ICT pales into insignificance at a 1-4 defeat at Kilmarnock

Of course it does. Given our resources we should never get beaten so comprehensively by Kilmarnock. It doesn't help that they are still playing to a system laid down by a manager we dumped.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 05:22 PM
Well the same could be said for at least half the SPL teams then ..Killie, Well, D.utd, Dunfermline, St Johnstone etc ..all relatively smaller teams to us ..we should be aspiring to beat that lot too ..week in week out ..

lets face it we should, but just now we are miles away from it

Nailrod
14-08-2011, 05:24 PM
Never a truer word said, Mikey and Albion etc , how long are you going to put up with this garbage ?. If our board were selling tyres for Farmer the lot of them would have got their jotters a long time ago , i really fear for us these days and for some folk to crow about our FIRST win at inversnekie sums it up . I think (HOPE!) he was being facetious... http://www.hibs.net/images/smilies/a%20pray%20smiley.gif

The Falcon
14-08-2011, 05:25 PM
lets face it we should, but just now we are miles away from it

Are we not a point behind Hearts, and two ahead of Aberdeen, with a game in hand on both?

marinello59
14-08-2011, 05:29 PM
Are we not a point behind Hearts, and two ahead of Aberdeen, with a game in hand on both?

Nope. All faked by the board.:agree:

Davy Mac
14-08-2011, 05:29 PM

Hey Falcon, I often enjoy reading your posts from time to time but it's far to early with this kind of stats.

For me, it's the manner of the defeat that sets the benchmark and losing 4 goals to Killie so early on in the season is completely unacceptable.

Absolutely 100% unacceptable.

new malkyhib
14-08-2011, 05:31 PM
I think most of us here would agree wouldn't we? Nothing wrong with being chuffed when the club we love wins a match though is there? I don't recall anybody saying it made us worldbeaters etc.

Mibbes naw, but it did give the Board acolytes on here the chance to roll out their usual diatribes against those who dare to question the direction of the club under Petrie and co.

We've now signed some players that you can only "hope" will do the business for us, because with the exception of Garry O (who's looked good in my opinion) and Ivan (who's been a bit indifferent), nobody's ever heard of them before...and the laddie Airey is precisely that, a laddie of 19 who's expected to come in and bang them in straight away.

As the OP says, ONE notable performance in over 18 months is just a joke, and coupled with being the one team in the league that everyone else loves to play - and you wonder why fans are drifting away from Easter Road?

The Falcon
14-08-2011, 05:32 PM
Hey Falcon, I often enjoy reading your posts from time to time but it's far to early with this kind of stats.

For me, it's the manner of the defeat that sets the benchmark and losing 4 goals to Killie so early on in the season is completely unacceptable.

Absolutely 100% unacceptable.

Of course it is Davy but lets settle down a bit. We are three games into the season and have a raft of players to get up to speed and lets see where we are then.

MSK
14-08-2011, 05:32 PM
lets face it we should, but just now we are miles away from itI agree we should ..but in this day & age what gives us the right to be more powerful than the clubs quoted ..what gives us the divine right to beat them week in week out ..historically we are bigger than them ..that is about it imo ..

marinello59
14-08-2011, 05:36 PM
[/B]Mibbes naw, but it did give the Board acolytes on here the chance to roll out their usual diatribes against those who dare to question the direction of the club under Petrie and co.

We've now signed some players that you can only "hope" will do the business for us, because with the exception of Garry O (who's looked good in my opinion) and Ivan (who's been a bit indifferent), nobody's ever heard of them before...and the laddie Airey is precisely that, a laddie of 19 who's expected to come in and bang them in straight away.

As the OP says, ONE notable performance in over 18 months is just a joke, and coupled with being the one team in the league that everyone else loves to play - and you wonder why fans are drifting away from Easter Road?

Dare to question? :faf:
It's an Internet forum, not a war zone. People can disagree with each other.

Alfred E Newman
14-08-2011, 05:37 PM
Some decent points there but sadly accurate.

What I would say is that any good man-manager worth their salt would at least first and foremost make us hard to beat but 4 goals lost at Killie!

I'm not advocating we go back to the Alex Miller days but CC surely needs to get some points on the board and quickly. We got a wee breakthrough from last week and a point this week would have been fine or am I just asking for too much?

Alex Millers team would have run rings round the current lot.

Nailrod
14-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I hear where you're coming from but I will keep my powder dry until the transfer window is done and dusted and new players have been bedded in... we are in the midst of stage 101 of our latest never ending transition period - I've had it with waiting for new players to 'bed in'. Didn't that team who thrashed us today lose about half of their first team over the summer? Seems their new guys have 'bedded in' pretty quickly.

And I've had enough of the transition excuse. That's all it is. An excuse. It doesn't wash with me any more. It's only a transition if you have some clear idea of where you're going, and some clear idea of how you're going to get there. We clearly have neither.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I agree we should ..but in this day & age what gives us the right to be more powerful than the clubs quoted ..what gives us the divine right to beat them week in week out ..historically we are bigger than them ..that is about it imo ..

don't disagree - we have got no divine right but we should be better than we are just now

Let's face it, despite our "wage cap" guys like Thornhill, Pallsen, de Graaf, Agogo, Osbourne + Sproule have not come here for nothing - the standard, effort + commitment needs to be better than today

down the slope
14-08-2011, 05:40 PM
We have no divine right to beat anyone but the fans deserve a level of competence on the park that has been sadly missing for years, each managerial choice seems to be worse than the preceding one and folk are no daft, have a look at the attendance for our next home game and you will see for yourself what our fans think.

Davy Mac
14-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Of course it is Davy but lets settle down a bit. We are three games into the season and have a raft of players to get up to speed and lets see where we are then.

It might be too late by then and we are set adrift from top 6, don't get me wrong I like the calibre we are now bringing in to the club but if the players and CC think that shipping 4 goals at friggin Kilmarnock should be brushed under the carpet as a bad day then the door should'nt hit their erse on the way out.

We should flying in to the new campaign, make up for the crap over the last 2 seasons, wipe the slate clean and all that but 4 goals at Killie.

Nah, CC better sharpen up quick or he will be shown the door but their lies the problem - will he be that bothered? I'm not sure........

Nailrod
14-08-2011, 05:47 PM
:agree:

[/B]Thought about this many times but then who essentially measures the guys at the top?The guy at the top measures himself. That's why I called it a fiefdom. And it's very unhealthy. As somebody else pointed out, if he was supposed to be selling exhausts for STF he would have been out on his erse years ago.

MSK
14-08-2011, 05:49 PM
don't disagree - we have got no divine right but we should be better than we are just now

Let's face it, despite our "wage cap" guys like Thornhill, Pallsen, de Graaf, Agogo, Osbourne + Sproule have not come here for nothing - the standard, effort + commitment needs to be better than todayDef, for all the signings ..good may they be, we are still lacking experience ..we need experience in that team ..that team today cried out for someone to put their foot on the ball ...we had no-one ..

The Falcon
14-08-2011, 05:54 PM
The guy at the top measures himself. That's why I called it a fiefdom. And it's very unhealthy. As somebody else pointed out, if he was supposed to be selling exhausts for STF he would have been out on his erse years ago.

But, as I have said before and get shouted down for it, it's STF's money, it's his club and he can run it any way he sees fit. He prefers not to take risks but would argue that if anybody else with the means wants to take over they can run it however they like.

While an autocracy may be deemed to be unhealthy I dread to think where we'd be without it.

down the slope
14-08-2011, 05:55 PM
If they have got this managerial choice wrong do they get another go ?, personally i don't think they could pick wallpaper for their front room without making an erse of it. Just for the record i hope the manager turns it round and we are a success but does anyone see much sign of this ?.

The Falcon
14-08-2011, 05:56 PM
It might be too late by then and we are set adrift from top 6, don't get me wrong I like the calibre we are now bringing in to the club but if the players and CC think that shipping 4 goals at friggin Kilmarnock should be brushed under the carpet as a bad day then the door should'nt hit their erse on the way out.

We should flying in to the new campaign, make up for the crap over the last 2 seasons, wipe the slate clean and all that but 4 goals at Killie.

Nah, CC better sharpen up quick or he will be shown the door but their lies the problem - will he be that bothered? I'm not sure........

Its not ideal but lets give it time. This is where we are these days.

lucky
14-08-2011, 05:59 PM
The stadium and training ground are complete. We have signed 10 players this year. The team should be taking shape and should improve over the coming weeks. If we put in the same level of performance in our next two league games then it will be the time for fans to protest. We have suffered some dreadful performances in the last 18 months. Fans will only take so much before protests begin. CC has to deliver or he'll be hunted out.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Hibs have standards -

losing as heavily as 1-4 at Kilmarnock is on a par with losing in Cup's to East Fife, Ross County, Arbroath, QoS and the 6-2 at Motherwell that cost Duffy his job

We can take losing by maybe a couple of goals at Killie but not a 4-1 thumping that could, Ronnie Rosenthal type mis excepted, have been 5-1

Performances need to improve fast - Tynecastle is 2 weeks away

MrSmith
14-08-2011, 06:10 PM
Alex Millers team would have run rings round the current lot.

You know, that is the sad truth of it all! Even AM's worst team would beat this mob! However, I don't fancy returning to that particular time... I said to my mum during the match: "I have seen some real pish Hibs teams but nothing compared to this current lot!" My mums been a Hibee for over 60 years and she agreed!

I don't know what to think or how this mob can change it for the better? But being non-religious means I have no faith only hope...

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 06:13 PM
You know, that is the sad truth of it all! Even AM worst team would beat this mob! However, I don't fancy returning to that time... I said to my mum during the match: "I have seen some real pish Hibs teams but nothing compared to this current lot!" My mums a been a Hibby for over 60 years and she agreed!

I don't know what to think or how this mob can change it for the better! Being non-religious means I have no faith only hope...

too many "have suitcase will travel players" that don't give a monkeys who pays the wage bill, they will have forgotten about the 4-1 defeat already

MSK
14-08-2011, 06:14 PM
too many "have suitcase will travel players" that don't give a monkeys who pays the wage bill, they will have forgotten about the 4-1 defeat alreadyName them ..

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 06:18 PM
Name them ..

fair question - lets see if there is a positive reaction on Saturday, if today is a low then there might be a positive if they move on from this

No one came out of today with pass marks

Nailrod
14-08-2011, 06:18 PM
But, as I have said before and get shouted down for it, it's STF's money, it's his club and he can run it any way he sees fit. He prefers not to take risks but would argue that if anybody else with the means wants to take over they can run it however they like.

While an autocracy may be deemed to be unhealthy I dread to think where we'd be without it.STF is irrelevant to this particular discussion. He owns the club but he doesn't run it. If he did run it, he would have sacked Petrie long ago. You dread to think where we would be without our autocratic ruler, who has now presided over seven managerial failures in about as many years. I have a very queasy feeling about where we're going to be with him. And even then, I don't think he'll do the decent thing.

down-the-slope
14-08-2011, 06:24 PM
one single memorable performance ........whats so bad...Mrs Slopey would be delighted with that :agree:

Feed McGraw
14-08-2011, 06:27 PM
STF is irrelevant to this particular discussion. He owns the club but he doesn't run it. If he did run it, he would have sacked Petrie long ago. You dread to think where we would be without our autocratic ruler, who has now presided over seven managerial failures in about as many years. I have a very queasy feeling about where we're going to be with him. And even then, I don't think he'll do the decent thing.

Some very good posts Nailrod. I think you should change your username to " Nailonthehead ".

MSK
14-08-2011, 06:32 PM
STF is irrelevant to this particular discussion. He owns the club but he doesn't run it. If he did run it, he would have sacked Petrie long ago. You dread to think where we would be without our autocratic ruler, who has now presided over seven managerial failures in about as many years. I have a very queasy feeling about where we're going to be with him. And even then, I don't think he'll do the decent thing.Bollox ...Farmer is a shrewd businessman & saved this club ..Petrie in the current climate is a blessing ...many clubs in Scottish football are on their knee's financially..we are not...bet they wished they had a Petrie ..:wink:

MSK
14-08-2011, 06:34 PM
fair question - lets see if there is a positive reaction on Saturday, if today is a low then there might be a positive if they move on from this

No one came out of today with pass marksBut you cant name them ..?

The Falcon
14-08-2011, 06:35 PM
STF is irrelevant to this particular discussion. He owns the club but he doesn't run it. If he did run it, he would have sacked Petrie long ago. You dread to think where we would be without our autocratic ruler, who has now presided over seven managerial failures in about as many years. I have a very queasy feeling about where we're going to be with him. And even then, I don't think he'll do the decent thing.

No he's not. Petrie is his appointment and is there as long as Farmer wants him to be, or as long as he can take the p1sh that comes with the job. Anyhow, it looks like he's delegating his responsibilities more and more (Rod that is) so you are getting your wish and if you are right about Rod then it will be success after success from that point on.

silverhibee
14-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Agree

When wee beat St Mirren after our worst run of games in history.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 06:55 PM
But you cant name them ..?

have got my own thoughts, will leave it at that as it stands just now - hoping to see a bit more passion and fight on Saturday - would be great if this afternoon's result was a turning point

MrSmith
14-08-2011, 06:58 PM
have got my own thoughts, will leave it at that as it stands just now - hoping to see a bit more passion and fight on Saturday - would be great if this afternoon's result was a turning point

Can only hope, but I fear the fear now!

BEEJ
14-08-2011, 07:14 PM
I hear where you're coming from but I will keep my powder dry until the transfer window is done and dusted and new players have been bedded in. We desperately need a major improvement from last season but we can't know if that's being delivered or not until the product is there on the park for all to see.

We have started the season with a very light squad which I stomped and shouted about on here as much as anybody, but we've since been given assurances that the new recruits will be well worth the wait. If those assurances are delivered on then we WILL be a club going in the right direction although we'll probably have to wait til mid september before we can make an informed judgement on that because, like it or not, we are in the midst of stage 101 of our latest never ending transition period - who said you need the patience of a saint to be a Hibee :rolleyes:
:top marks This sums up my view.

We've heard re-iterated this week the club's strategy for this transfer window - hold fire until August when a better calibre of player will become available. By all accounts a good plan and the likes of Osbourne and Airey will hopefully show that to be the case.

The downside of that approach though is that we had a limited squad in time for the early start of this season's league campaign - made worse in our case by the injury to O'Hanlon in the first match and having to wait a few weeks for Agogo to get match fit. Meantime our competitors have completed much of their transfer business and are much further down the road to having an established team.

So we need to leave it another month and trust that once the new guys are match fit and our team does gel together we will not only be a match for the other SPL teams but we will evidently be a better side.

PaulSmith
14-08-2011, 07:21 PM
I actually disagree with the title of the thread and I've been one to give criticism when it's been due in recent months. It is however all down now to how Colin Calderwood can get HIS team to perform.

O'Hanlon, Osbourne, Agogo and Airey into the team and take out Stephens, Stevenson, Wotherspoon and Murray for Tuesday night and let's build on this into the St Mirren game.

There might even be a new face or two again before the weekend to solve the problem RB position.

silverhibee
14-08-2011, 07:25 PM

While an autocracy may be deemed to be unhealthy I dread to think where we'd be without it.

Do you think STF is happy how the club is been run by RP & SL, as folk have said if this was Farmers Tyre's the two i have mentioned would have been sacked a while back, not seen STF at a game for a while now, used to see him doing the rounds with RP in the FF before the home games, he cant be happy the way his club has been over the last 18 months.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 07:26 PM
I actually disagree with the title of the thread and I've been one to give criticism when it's been due in recent months. It is however all down now to how Colin Calderwood can get HIS team to perform.

O'Hanlon, Osbourne, Agogo and Airey into the team and take out Stephens, Stevenson, Wotherspoon and Murray for Tuesday night and let's build on this into the St Mirren game.

There might even be a new face or two again before the weekend to solve the problem RB position.

The Cup game is after the St Mirren game......

Kaiser1962
14-08-2011, 07:27 PM

I did think young Hanlon looked better with O'Hanlon beside him for most of the Celtic match and am hopeful that he can get back pretty soon. That said CC has said that he would wait for the right players now hopefully he has a nucleus of a squad that he wants and will take it from there. I am optimistic about the future and feel that we should have a good idea if he's getting it right by the end of September/October.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Er... yes. I was dancing in the streets for days after that one. It was one of the highlights of my fifty years as a Hibby.

:fibber:

A first for our club..two games into the season, the much discussed monkey off our back...not according to you, you seem to be more focused on these historic results off the old firm.

What did you say about it last week? Weren't you pleased? I know I was although I don't know if that counts as crowing.

You are wasting your breath on this lot mate. They have come crawling back out from underneath there stones to have another go at Hibs following a couple of weeks, embarrasingly after not being seen or heard since the ICT game.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 08:12 PM
A first for our club..two games into the season, the much discussed monkey off our back...not according to you, you seem to be more focused on these historic results off the old firm.

You are wasting your breath on this lot mate. They have come crawling back out from underneath there stones to have another go at Hibs following a couple of weeks, embarrasingly after not being seen or heard since the ICT game.

What a ridiculous thing to say:rolleyes:

Ed De Gramo
14-08-2011, 08:22 PM
I've had it with waiting for new players to 'bed in'. Didn't that team who thrashed us today lose about half of their first team over the summer? Seems their new guys have 'bedded in' pretty quickly.

And I've had enough of the transition excuse. That's all it is. An excuse. It doesn't wash with me any more. It's only a transition if you have some clear idea of where you're going, and some clear idea of how you're going to get there. We clearly have neither.

aye cause we never lost players in the summer :rolleyes:

Jeezo

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 08:24 PM
What a ridiculous thing to say:rolleyes:

I dont think so, this board was as quite as I have seen it since the ICT game with a few notable names not being seen or heard of for sometime. Yet following today they are back out in force...supporters? I dont think so.

MrSmith
14-08-2011, 08:27 PM
I dont think so, this board was as quite as I have seen it since the ICT game with a few notable names not being seen or heard of for sometime. Yet following today they are back out in force...supporters? I dont think so.

I've been on all week!

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 08:29 PM

I travelled to the game today, I will be there next week too. I'm not a supporter.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 08:30 PM

So they have crawled from a rock, come on.......

589 supporters from us at match, do you think any of us felt great leaving the ground....Did we all crawl from under a rock to travel through?

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 08:32 PM
I travelled to the game today, I will be there next week too. I'm not a supporter.

You were as quiet as I have seen you, sadly thats a fact. It was always going to be the case you hit the keyboard today.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 08:35 PM
So they have crawled from a rock, come on.......

589 supporters from us at match, do you think any of us felt great leaving the ground....Did we all crawl from under a rock to travel through?

Nope, and I was one of them, but I dont think they are on here ripping a hole in the team. The majority of folk that are doing that were watching the game from the comfort of their own home.

The reaction of some following a defeat is embarrasing. The level of abuse following a loss is never reflected in the level of praise following a win - why is that?! Some people on here love to over react and simply have a go at hibs.

sesoim
14-08-2011, 08:35 PM

:rolleyes:

Ray_
14-08-2011, 08:36 PM

Maybe they have been on the private member board, supporting the forum they regularly use?

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 08:37 PM
Nope, and I was one of them, but I dont think they are on here ripping a hole in the team. The majority of folk that are doing that were watching the game from the comfort of their own home.

The reaction of some following a defeat is embarrasing. The level of abuse following a loss is never reflected in the level of praise following a win - why is that?! Some people on here love to over react and simply have a go at hibs.

Today was a roasting, not your average run of the mill defeat.....I thought our whole team was poor today, which is why they are being ripped on here tonight.......

Ray_
14-08-2011, 08:38 PM

When Hibs had a win lose ratio, which was the opposite of the last 18 months, the reaction would have been a lot different. We have won one game in how long?

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Maybe they have been on the private member board, supporting the forum they regularly use?

So they come out in public following a defeat - why?

matty_f
14-08-2011, 08:40 PM
:top marks This sums up my view.

We've heard re-iterated this week the club's strategy for this transfer window - hold fire until August when a better calibre of player will become available. By all accounts a good plan and the likes of Osbourne and Airey will hopefully show that to be the case.

The downside of that approach though is that we had a limited squad in time for the early start of this season's league campaign - made worse in our case by the injury to O'Hanlon in the first match and having to wait a few weeks for Agogo to get match fit. Meantime our competitors have completed much of their transfer business and are much further down the road to having an established team.

So we need to leave it another month and trust that once the new guys are match fit and our team does gel together we will not only be a match for the other SPL teams but we will evidently be a better side.

Agree with that.

I don't think we'd have had that starting 11 if Agogo, O'Hanlon and Osbourne had been match fit, nor if we'd had an actual right back available. I think we'd have seen a totally different game, and I have to hope, as you say, that the wait will be worth it.

Agree with you as well, Paul - get the change made for the St Mirren game and build on it from there.

Ray_
14-08-2011, 08:42 PM
So they come out in public following a defeat - why?

Lets face it, if they only stay away when Hibs win, they would have rarely been away from here.

Removed
14-08-2011, 08:43 PM
Nope, and I was one of them, but I dont think they are on here ripping a hole in the team. The majority of folk that are doing that were watching the game from the comfort of their own home. The reaction of some following a defeat is embarrasing. The level of abuse following a loss is never reflected in the level of praise following a win - why is that?! Some people on here love to over react and simply have a go at hibs. I wish I'd been at the game today so I could really over react. Gutted I missed the opportunity :grr: It's true to say that some of the most positive pish is also spouted from folk who haven't been at the games and watched on HTV or from highlights. You really think that real Hibs fans love to just come on here and have a go for no reason :crazy:

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 08:45 PM
I wish I'd been at the game today so I could really over react. Gutted I missed the opportunity :grr: It's true to say that some of the most positive pish is also spouted from folk who haven't been at the games and watched on HTV or from highlights. You really think that real Hibs fans love to just come on here and have a go for no reason :crazy:

:agree::agree:

If you moan you aint a real hibby:faf:

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I wish I'd been at the game today so I could really over react. Gutted I missed the opportunity :grr: It's true to say that some of the most positive pish is also spouted from folk who haven't been at the games and watched on HTV or from highlights. You really think that real Hibs fans love to just come on here and have a go for no reason :crazy:

Have a word mate, if you dont think this board is quieter when we are winning then you are kidding yourself.

Ray_
14-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Have a word mate, if you dont think this board is quieter when we are winning then you are kidding yourself.

That's the way of the world, haven't you noticed? Satisfied customers rarely complain & before you start the season ticket mantra, anybody who spends money at a business is a customer, it doesn't have to be restricted to one area of the business.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 08:54 PM
You were as quiet as I have seen you, sadly thats a fact. It was always going to be the case you hit the keyboard today.

Why would I moan or have a gripe when we are winning? To be fair yer knee jerking to one win did make me laugh.

Tell me what was good about today shambles? Tell me again how yer favorite dominated tje midfield along witness tje other diddys clueless decided rpm pick in another ridiculous team selection and tactics

Removed
14-08-2011, 08:57 PM
Have a word mate, if you dont think this board is quieter when we are winning then you are kidding yourself. Just given myself a good :slipper: and will remember not to be so silly in future.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 09:02 PM
That's the way of the world, haven't you noticed? Satisfied customers rarely complain & before you start the season ticket mantra, anybody who spends money at a business is a customer, it doesn't have to be restricted to one area of the business.

You are stating the obvious.

Lets do another comparison, if I invested in shares on the back of professional advice and did so on the basis of achieving something over a period of 1 year - I would not be moaning like a girl after 3 weeks of that one year period if my investment was not performing. If I did not make money by the end of that one year period, then different story.

If people are investing in hibs thinking there is not going to be a bad result along the way then they are kidding themselves. But how can it be possible to be positive about the team following the ICT game then all of a sudden they are pish, managers pish, board is pish...if that is not the definition of over-reaction then I do not know what is.

down-the-slope
14-08-2011, 09:03 PM
Why would I moan or have a gripe when we are winning? To be fair yer knee jerking to one win did make me laugh.

Tell me what was good about today shambles? Tell me again how yer favorite dominated tje midfield along witness tje other diddys clueless decided rpm pick in another ridiculous team selection and tactics

Now don't spoil it BH...you have been a wee ray of sunshine last couple of weeks....:greengrin

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 09:09 PM

Hello Mr Quiet,

What did you do on your week off?

You did, I believe you took a few pelters for your reaction to the inverness game when chucking out responses like "come back when we have 30 points" or something to that effect, thereafter you seemed to go underground.

I did not say there was anything good about today did I?

I dont believe the team selection was ridiculous, it was the same team that won the last league game, what is ridiculous about that? What team and tactics would you have played?

I dont think the tactics were wrong today, we started the game the better team, individual mistakes in the defence put us up against it after only a few minutes. We got back into the game only to lose a goal before half time. Being honest there was nothing to make me think we could not win the game at HT.

We performed poorly in the second half, we took a beating, I dont enjoy spending my sunday driving to the west to be on the recieving end of that, but it was one of those days, these things happen.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 09:11 PM
It's great how its the fans getting stick,when if you look back at today game we were so 2nd best it a iwas frightening. We could have lost by 7.

Kilmarnock had a new team today, its funny how they can bed in better than our team, but that always seems to ne the case with is.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Ray_
14-08-2011, 09:19 PM
You are stating the obvious.

Lets do another comparison, if I invested in shares on the back of professional advice and did so on the basis of achieving something over a period of 1 year - I would not be moaning like a girl after 3 weeks of that one year period if my investment was not performing. If I did not make money by the end of that one year period, then different story.

If people are investing in hibs thinking there is not going to be a bad result along the way then they are kidding themselves. But how can it be possible to be positive about the team following the ICT game then all of a sudden they are pish, managers pish, board is pish...if that is not the definition of over-reaction then I do not know what is.

But people are not investing in Hibs though, are they? This is based on performance, particularly over the last eighteen months, there is no confidence in the product. We have not just had one bad result, we have spent seventeen of the last eighteen months displaying relegation form & like it or not, a run like that would affect any club's income.

hibsbollah
14-08-2011, 09:21 PM
BH....Do you give CC credit for his two (IMO sensible) halftime subs? Agogo and Ozzie both improved things surely?

Would you agree that todays defeat was down to poor INDIVIDUAL performances and that the manager's changes and overall shape and formation were pretty much OK?

down the slope
14-08-2011, 09:24 PM

If you are happy being a loser all your life then keep supporting the erses that run our club , i hate losing that's why i moan on here and will keep doing so until we get a level of performance that befits our club.

Ray_
14-08-2011, 09:25 PM
BH....Do you give CC credit for his two (IMO sensible) halftime subs? Agogo and Ozzie both improved things surely?

Would you agree that todays defeat was down to poor INDIVIDUAL performances and that the manager's changes and overall shape and formation were pretty much OK?

:confused: The formation was changed at half-time to try and combat the fact that we were getting out played!

HFC 0-7
14-08-2011, 09:27 PM
Hello Mr Quiet,

What did you do on your week off?

You did, I believe you took a few pelters for your reaction to the inverness game when chucking out responses like "come back when we have 30 points" or something to that effect, thereafter you seemed to go underground.

I did not say there was anything good about today did I?

I dont believe the team selection was ridiculous, it was the same team that won the last league game, what is ridiculous about that? What team and tactics would you have played?

I dont think the tactics were wrong today, we started the game the better team, individual mistakes in the defence put us up against it after only a few minutes. We got back into the game only to lose a goal before half time. Being honest there was nothing to make me think we could not win the game at HT.

We performed poorly in the second half, we took a beating, I dont enjoy spending my sunday driving to the west to be on the recieving end of that, but it was one of those days, these things happen.

I agree with some things you have said on this thread but you are the polar opposite from what you are arguing against. You are ripping into the so called doom and gloomers by picking out tiny pluses. Yes we were on top at the start of the game, for about 3 minutes, hardly brilliant. Nothing to make you think we could not win the game at half time. Hibs havent won a game in 2 and a half years when going into the interval losing!

Yes there is too much negativity on here, and people do wait for a defeat to vent, however, todays performance, on the back of the last 10 or so games, coupled with calderwoods statements about having good competition for all positions and that the squad is pretty much done it did warrant abuse from fans.

hibsbollah
14-08-2011, 09:28 PM
[/B]:confused: The formation was changed at half-time to try and combat the fact that we were getting out played! :confused: That's a managers job, to change things when youre getting outplayed.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 09:30 PM
If you are happy being a loser all your life then keep supporting the erses that run our club , i hate losing that's why i moan on here and will keep doing so until we get a level of performance that befits our club.

You need to get a grip. It is not to do with "being a loser", we take one of those results every season, what we dont do is win in ICT, is that a result that befits out club?

I am not jumping on the team and the manager. If I was I might say that our two half time subs made us worse, but that is perhaps a bit harsh. Today was a bad game, there was bad performances from players that are usually pretty consistant, such as Hanlon. A few players seemed to have a bad game at the same time. I think from today CC will make a couple of changes for next weeks game.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 09:31 PM

You think we improved in the 2nd half? I saw us loss the half 2 0, and could have lost another 4 at least. And bare in mind we again played with a midfield who can't retain the ball, with one up front. His team. His shambles.

hibsbollah
14-08-2011, 09:36 PM
You think we improved in the 2nd half? I saw us loss the half 2 0, and could have lost another 4 at least. And bare in mind we again played with a midfield who can't retain the ball, with one up front. His team. His shambles. Agogo and Osborne? Did they improve things or not? Honestly.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 09:37 PM
I agree with some things you have said on this thread but you are the polar opposite from what you are arguing against. You are ripping into the so called doom and gloomers by picking out tiny pluses. Yes we were on top at the start of the game, for about 3 minutes, hardly brilliant. Nothing to make you think we could not win the game at half time. Hibs havent won a game in 2 and a half years when going into the interval losing!

Yes there is too much negativity on here, and people do wait for a defeat to vent, however, todays performance, on the back of the last 10 or so games, coupled with calderwoods statements about having good competition for all positions and that the squad is pretty much done it did warrant abuse from fans.

I dont think being on top from the kick off is not brilliant, but we were left with a mountain to climb after however many minutes. I dont really see it as relevant that we have not won a game since losing at HT, we had not won in ICT in how long?

I am also not overly fussed for the last 10 games, we have played 3 games this season, lost to celtic - to be expected, won in Inverness - great result and lost today on the back of a bad performance. 3 or 4 points would have been the most we could have hoped for from these opening fixtures IMO, I am disappointed with today, but at the same time I cant remember the last time we won at Killie so is it massively unexpected...perhaps not, was the performance the worst thing, yes in the 2nd half...do I expect us to be better next week f-ing right I do.

Ray_
14-08-2011, 09:41 PM
:confused: That's a managers job, to change things when youre getting outplayed.

He prepared & managed the team for a game at Kilmarnock, where we were totally out-classed, how is there anything positive that he could have taken out of that? Was there anything different to have come out of today, that supporters didn't already know?

I.E. We need a right back, we need an experienced central defender, Spoony needs a spell in the reserves, Stevenson has gone backwards & not worthy of the first team, we need a midfield general, we need a left midfielder, we need a right midfielder, Ivan Sproule is an excellent impact player. The match highlighted all the weaknesses, which we've known for a long time.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Agogo and Osborne? Did they improve things or not? Honestly.
Marginally, nothing significant.

hibsbollah
14-08-2011, 09:48 PM
Marginally, nothing significant. Fair enough. Personally I think CCs signings look promising, and the worst things about today were CCs inheritances.

Ray_
14-08-2011, 09:51 PM
Fair enough. Personally I think CCs signings look promising, and the worst things about today were CCs inheritances.

Look at how many players has come in, how can somebody else possibly be blamed?

Emerald
14-08-2011, 10:06 PM
Fair enough. Personally I think CCs signings look promising, and the worst things about today were CCs inheritances.
The defence was a shambles and he's had more than enough time to sort that out, Killie tore us to shreads at will today. The new signings looked ok and will be given time but getting HUMPED by Killie 4 going on 8 is not in any way acceptable. There is no improvement from the last 2 years, no shape, too many players out of position and no captain/organisation on the pitch. We dont have anyone who drives at defences and gives them problems. Killie passed us off the park like we were a 2nd division pre season warm up. Not good enough for a Hibs team. How long is work in progress, I'll be mucking deid before we get a decent team on the park at this rate, I'm work in progress also! Mind I've got a great veiw of it all these days!!

J-C
14-08-2011, 10:22 PM

Funny that 2 weeks ago I made the same comment after the Caley game and got slated for it, how people change their views when we get humped 4-1 at Kilmarnock

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Funny that 2 weeks ago I made the same comment after the Caley game and got slated for it, how people change their views when we get humped 4-1 at Kilmarnock

Not me, my view today is the same as it was two weeks ago......(it was great to win at Inverness, but it was not like we had turned the corner)

SkintHibby
14-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Sick to death of it all to be honest. Hibs are a club going absolutely nowhere season after season...:boo hoo:

R'Albin
14-08-2011, 10:42 PM
Haven't read this thread yet, should I?

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Not me, my view today is the same as it was two weeks ago......(it was great to win at Inverness, but it was not like we had turned the corner)

We get 3 points for every win, a win up in Inverness suddenly seems to have taken on more significance because of our record up there? The win still only gave us 3 points, and would have been a great 3 points had we built on it with another today. Having Killie wipe the floor with us takes the shine off a little, how many wins is it since Calderwood joined?

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 10:55 PM
We get 3 points for every win, a win up in Inverness suddenly seems to have taken on more significance because of our record up there? The win still only gave us 3 points, and would have been a great 3 points had we built on it with another today. Having Killie wipe the floor with us takes the shine off a little, how many wins is it since Calderwood joined?

Top of my head around 10....... Not great is it.....

His after match assesments are becoming more and more frustrating for me also

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Top of my head around 10....... Not great is it.....

His after match assesments are becoming more and more frustrating for me also

:agree: Maybe we just need to be a little more patient................................ again? :rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 11:11 PM
:agree: Maybe we just need to be a little more patient................................ again? :rolleyes:

Why don't we make the Take That song our new official anthem, or the song the team comes out to?? "Need a little patience":whistle: :whistle:

Removed
14-08-2011, 11:13 PM
:agree: Maybe we just need to be a little more patient................................ again? :rolleyes: Apparently today was a "terrific lesson" :rolleyes:

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 11:16 PM
Apparently today was a "terrific lesson" :rolleyes:

Cant wait for the next one. :rolleyes:

Matty_Jack04
14-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Iv watched the game twice now I still believe today's score flattered killie in a big way our defending was shocking they took advantage punished mistakes that's football however,

We have signed 12 players since January, 1 defender and 11 others in the same mould as the rest maybe the exception being airey/sproule, the point I'm trying to make is as a squad we are one dimensional the way we set up is the way we'll finish as there's no one capable of changing the game, although I was hopefull CC would turn out to be a good appointment the more I think about what's going on all that springs to mind is ' if you want entertainment goto the cinema' I'm not laying all the blame at CC's feet either hibs is rotting from higher places than the manager that's for sure!

How do we get out this? Yeh it 3 games into a new season it's also been nearly 2 years since we played anywhere near good football, happy clapper or doom n gloomer something needs to happen!

Speedway
14-08-2011, 11:26 PM

Patience is permanently required if Hibs are to be followed seriously.

We got humped today, mainly due to a vice captain and his young sidekick having performances that were genuinely shameful. And yes, struggling SPL managers must be able to give cast iron guarantees to their boards as to when they will deliver their next win by simply checking when they are playing us.

It's very frustrating but the outcome is very straightforward. CC will either sort this out and it'll be a fun ride or he won't and he'll be sacked. So either way it will get sorted.

CC said before the Celtic game that we're not good enough as a team and will need to 'ride out a few storms in the first half of the season' Well, we got caught in a downpour today.

Would anyone be keen to have Kenny Shiels as manager? no.

So what's the difference. I don't know. The only thing I can see is that Killie are expected to toil every season and Hibs are not. So expectation weighs on Hibs but not on the likes of Killie, leaving them free-er to express themselves.

I hope CC sorts it with a convincing win against a confident Buddies side.

matty_f
14-08-2011, 11:34 PM
Apparently today was a "terrific lesson" :rolleyes:

A bit unfair taking the quote out of context, no?

"The last half hour was hurtful to watch. I understand that. But I think it's a terrific lesson. It was good experience and we have to take it right on the chin, because what we produced today was nowhere near good enough."

Most people learn from adversity. As a manager he should be using the failings in the team's performance to coach and improve the players. I'm certain he'd rather not be seeing his players learning from being roasted like they were today, but when something like that happens then he has to use it positively.

He acknowledges it was 'hurtful to watch' and 'nowhere near good enough', and he's right. He's right with all of it.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 11:35 PM

We got humped today, mainly due to a vice captain and his young sidekick having performances that were genuinely shameful. And yes, struggling SPL managers must be able to give cast iron guarantees to their boards as to when they will deliver their next win by simply checking when they are playing us.

It's very frustrating but the outcome is very straightforward. CC will either sort this out and it'll be a fun ride or he won't and he'll be sacked. So either way it will get sorted.

CC said before the Celtic game that we're not good enough as a team and will need to 'ride out a few storms in the first half of the season' Well, we got caught in a downpour today.

Would anyone be keen to have Kenny Shiels as manager? no.

So what's the difference. I don't know. The only thing I can see is that Killie are expected to toil every season and Hibs are not. So expectation weighs on Hibs but not on the likes of Killie, leaving them free-er to express themselves.

These are new players on both sides, 99% wont know one bit about the expectations of either club. Its just another excuse if you ask me, and another case of a smaller side kicking our arse, and another team coping with changes to their side better than us.

Speedway
14-08-2011, 11:39 PM
These are new players on both sides, 99% wont know one bit about the expectations of either club. Its just another excuse if you ask me, and another case of a smaller side kicking our arse, and another team coping with changes to their side better than us.

Which begs a question. No matter the manager, the players, the coaches or the even the board members - this happens to us constantly. Why is that?

Removed
14-08-2011, 11:40 PM
A bit unfair taking the quote out of context, no?Most people learn from adversity. As a manager he should be using the failings in the team's performance to coach and improve the players. I'm certain he'd rather not be seeing his players learning from being roasted like they were today, but when something like that happens then he has to use it positively. He acknowledges it was 'hurtful to watch' and 'nowhere near good enough', and he's right. He's right with all of it. How many "terrific lessons" do they need? Was that enough today or do we have to suffer another 20? Or is that out of context as well?

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Which begs a question. No matter the manager, the players, the coaches or the even the board members - this happens to us constantly. Why is that?

Constantly employing donkeys as managers imo.

matty_f
14-08-2011, 11:42 PM

I think there's an element of bad fortune in our case today, though BH. If CC's signing O'Hanlon had been fit, he's in the side ahead of Stephens and talking Hanlon through the game. If Hart's not injured he's potentially in the side, allowing Palsson to go into midfield where he would surely have been more effective than either Stevenson or Murray.

If Osbourne was match fit he'd have started, IMHO, and with Agogo just back from injury and not ready for 90 minutes the side wasn't what I'd imagine CC thinks his best starting 11 would be.

matty_f
14-08-2011, 11:46 PM
How many "terrific lessons" do they need? Was that enough today or do we have to suffer another 20? Or is that out of context as well?

I'd hope they don't need many more. I'm not sure what bit you're asking is out of context though. :confused:

Speedway
14-08-2011, 11:47 PM
Constantly employing donkeys as managers imo.

We got beat by smaller teams plenty under Mowbray though.

Who was the last non-donkey manager?

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 11:47 PM
I think there's an element of bad fortune in our case today, though BH. If CC's signing O'Hanlon had been fit, he's in the side ahead of Stephens and talking Hanlon through the game. If Hart's not injured he's potentially in the side, allowing Palsson to go into midfield where he would surely have been more effective than either Stevenson or Murray.

If Osbourne was match fit he'd have started, IMHO, and with Agogo just back from injury and not ready for 90 minutes the side wasn't what I'd imagine CC thinks his best starting 11 would be.

FFS matty, if yer auntie had baws???????? Even if all you say was true, will we go through the season without an injury or a suspension? And Hart, surely you are not suggesting he would make the slightest difference?

Is it only us who suffer from unfit signings, or international clearance or injuries, do other sides not have these problems?

matty_f
14-08-2011, 11:50 PM
FFS matty, if yer auntie had baws???????? Even if all you say was true, will we go through the season without an injury or a suspension? And Hart, surely you are not suggesting he would make the slightest difference?

Is it only us who suffer from unfit signings, or international clearance or injuries, do other sides not have these problems?

No we won't go without injury or suspension - I'm not suggesting that. What I'm saying is that the team today won't (I'm really hoping) be anywhere near the starting 11 that will start most games this season.

We had a back-up centre half pairing, which hadn't done too badly up to today.

Hart would have made a difference in that it would have freed up Palsson to go into midfield and broken up the horror pair of Murray and Stevenson.

Other sides do, I assume, have the same problems. Did Kilmarnock today? Don't think so, AFAIK.

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 11:51 PM
We got beat by smaller teams plenty under Mowbray though.

Who was the last non-donkey manager?

Mowbray had us playing some good stuff, we actually looked forward to a weekend under him. Yes he lost games, but he did win more than he lost. Thats not the case these days though, and with our world famous 4-5-1 formation, the future is not looking so exciting. :zzzzz!:

The Falcon
15-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Do you think STF is happy how the club is been run by RP & SL, as folk have said if this was Farmers Tyre's the two i have mentioned would have been sacked a while back, not seen STF at a game for a while now, used to see him doing the rounds with RP in the FF before the home games, he cant be happy the way his club has been over the last 18 months.

I doubt he'll be ecstatic about the performance of the football team SH but I doubt he'll be weeping over it. Nor will he be looking to sack anyone and will probably be thankful it's tyres and exhausts he sells where the outcome is reasonably straightforward. All IMO of course.

J-C
15-08-2011, 09:00 AM

Thing is Matty, another experienced CH should have been bought as cover incase of injuries and suspension, having to rely on such a young defense considering we're in a fight for points against teams desperate to win is rediculous. We're back to the Yogi time by playing DM at RB and players playing when they just aren't good enough anymore, Murray(who I like) his legs are gone, crippled with arthritis and only getting a good game once every now and then Stevenson living of the memory of that cup win, Wotherspoon's form has been atrocious recently and needs to be dropped for the sake of his career

matty_f
15-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Thing is Matty, another experienced CH should have been bought as cover incase of injuries and suspension, having to rely on such a young defense considering we're in a fight for points against teams desperate to win is rediculous. We're back to the Yogi time by playing DM at RB and players playing when they just aren't good enough anymore, Murray(who I like) his legs are gone, crippled with arthritis and only getting a good game once every now and then Stevenson living of the memory of that cup win, Wotherspoon's form has been atrocious recently and needs to be dropped for the sake of his career

I don't disagree with that. Calderwood said that he thought we had enough cover at CH with Murray and Stephens able to play there should there be injuries. If you'd looked at the Stephens/Hanlon partnership over the last couple of games leading up to the Killie game, I don't think you'd have predicted a performance as bad as the one yesterday.

Clearly the injury to Hart and the lack of a suitable right back has taken one of the available covering options of Murray out of the equation, as he's had to play midfield to allow for Palsson playing right back. That said, there's no point at all in Stephens being at the club if we're not going to play him. He's either good enough for the first team or he's not (same for Hanlon), and if they're not good enough then they shouldn't be here.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 09:57 AM
I don't disagree with that. Calderwood said that he thought we had enough cover at CH with Murray and Stephens able to play there should there be injuries. If you'd looked at the Stephens/Hanlon partnership over the last couple of games leading up to the Killie game, I don't think you'd have predicted a performance as bad as the one yesterday.

Clearly the injury to Hart and the lack of a suitable right back has taken one of the available covering options of Murray out of the equation, as he's had to play midfield to allow for Palsson playing right back. That said, there's no point at all in Stephens being at the club if we're not going to play him. He's either good enough for the first team or he's not (same for Hanlon), and if they're not good enough then they shouldn't be here.

Thats where i disagree with Calderwood, Murray has helped out at the centre of the defence last season. And he was shown up when playing in that position more than once. i think we are very short of players all over the back 4.

smurf
15-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Matty why do you think Hart would be selected when CC completely refused to select him last season?

Jim44
15-08-2011, 10:22 AM
A bit unfair taking the quote out of context, no?

Most people learn from adversity. As a manager he should be using the failings in the team's performance to coach and improve the players. I'm certain he'd rather not be seeing his players learning from being roasted like they were today, but when something like that happens then he has to use it positively.

He acknowledges it was 'hurtful to watch' and 'nowhere near good enough', and he's right. He's right with all of it.

But what if the players' failings are the result of bad coaching:dunno:

delbert
15-08-2011, 10:51 AM
For Gods sake, when did any centre half over the age of 12 have to be coached that his first priority is to defend, and not to present the opposition with goalscoring opportunites every second game??

Cropley10
15-08-2011, 11:31 AM
How many "terrific lessons" do they need? Was that enough today or do we have to suffer another 20? Or is that out of context as well?

How many 'lessons' has Calderwood's Hibs been given - the first game v Aberdeen? The last game of the season v Aberdeen? Yesterday? The Derbies? The 1 point from 15 after the split? :dunno:

Other than the 3-0 v the Huns, has there been a performance or result to make anyone think we're headed in the right direction?

KWJ
15-08-2011, 11:38 AM
Lost interest after the first line. Is a 2-1 win at Celtic Park not a great result?

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Lost interest after the first line. Is a 2-1 win at Celtic Park not a great result?

:confused:

hhibs
15-08-2011, 11:45 AM

Agreed.

The rot has been there for a longggggggg time and changing the board positions around has achieved nothing.....except for there now being another name as CEO and contender to resign as things get worse thus protecting/saving RP.

i

Sammy7nil
15-08-2011, 11:57 AM
Yip I too crawled back out after 40 odd years of going to games home and away.

I think it is laughable we are told to celebrate a win at ICT yes it is good to get the monkey off the back but to herald this as some knd of big success shows how far expectations have fallen.

I am told (not checked) CC's record is 22 defeats in 35 games which is shocking, for 2.5 years we have been going backwards with no sign of improvement.

CC seems incapable of turning things around.

Lots of fans will to write off the last 8 games of last season why? It is because from top to bottom at Hibs there is something fundamentaly wrong we all accept mediocrity on the park from Board to fans.

Please forgive me if I don't join in the street dancing because we snatched a late victory against ICT.

matty_f
15-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Thats where i disagree with Calderwood, Murray has helped out at the centre of the defence last season. And he was shown up when playing in that position more than once. i think we are very short of players all over the back 4.

I disagree as well, though I said on another thread that he should be comfortable playing Stephens, if not then Stephens shouldn't be at the club.

Matty why do you think Hart would be selected when CC completely refused to select him last season?

Why not? He played well against Blackpool, and started against Sunderland, and he's a right back.

But what if the players' failings are the result of bad coaching:dunno:

Then we're all doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOMMMMEEEEED!

Personally, I don't think it's the coaching. I think it was a bad game for the players, but we've seen in other games that it's below what we'd normally expect therefore I don't think it's indicative of the coaching. If they don't learn from it and improve then there'd be a case to make for questioning the coaching, but not after one bad performance on the back of a couple of good ones.

Bristolhibby
15-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Is it me, or are we not on the points that I expected at the start of the season?

I expected to lose to Celtic and Inverness, but win at Kilmarnock.

We have Lost to Celtic and Kilmarnock, but won in Inverness.

Chill.

J

BEEJ
15-08-2011, 12:05 PM

:agree: But if he does, we'll have to work for it.

Unfortunately no other SPL side seems to give away goals as cheaply as we do.

God Petrie
15-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Is it me, or are we not on the points that I expected at the start of the season?

I expected to lose to Celtic and Inverness, but win at Kilmarnock.

We have Lost to Celtic and Kilmarnock, but won in Inverness.

Chill.

J

I also expected us to be absolutely rank this season. It doesn't make it right.

Removed
15-08-2011, 12:27 PM
How many 'lessons' has Calderwood's Hibs been given - the first game v Aberdeen? The last game of the season v Aberdeen? Yesterday? The Derbies? The 1 point from 15 after the split? :dunno:Other than the 3-0 v the Huns, has there been a performance or result to make anyone think we're headed in the right direction?I can't think of one. Maybe I need to more patient.

Speedway
15-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Not that this helps, but spoke to an Everton ST holder about the Kilmarnock result and informed him that it was their manager's first win ever. He said that every EPL team breaks their winless streak against Everton and many other clubs feel the same.

Not just us then.

StevieC
15-08-2011, 12:33 PM
CC seems incapable of turning things around.

I would say that CC was incapable of turning around a squad of players he inherited which, I feel, is slightly different to "incapable of turning things around". I also think he needs a little bit more than 3 competitive games before we can actually judge the latter.

silverhibee
15-08-2011, 12:35 PM

How can you say that, the guy has been tom kite since he came to the club and even if he is fit he doesn't deserve to be in the starting eleven, slow out of position most of the time and just basically crap and he is hampered with injuries, when he does play opposition teams always attack down his side because he is a weakness in our team, ball over the top of him and he has lost the battle, the manager should have had a replacement in the door for him before now, it was one of the positions that needed adressed for the start of the season and the manager should have had a new RB in by now.
Hart would have made no diference to that back four at all yesterday, its simple Hibs need a new RB, i would have said that Wotherspoon could fill in there but he is another one who doesn't deserve to be in the team, VP is not the answer either, a new RB before Saturday is a must.

Scorrie
15-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Not that this helps, but spoke to an Everton ST holder about the Kilmarnock result and informed him that it was their manager's first win ever. He said that every EPL team breaks their winless streak against Everton and many other clubs feel the same.

Not just us then.

Imagine how I feel being a Hibby and an Everton supporter...

whiskyhibby
15-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Big fanbase maybe but currently I don't think we have a big support

I think you are right the attendances so far have been poor, a number of reasons for that though

GloryGlory
15-08-2011, 12:42 PM
:agree: But if he does, we'll have to work for it.

Unfortunately no other SPL side seems to give away goals as cheaply as we do.

:agree: An average of two per game so far in the league. Which is pretty much as you were from last season. The defence yesterday is too young and inexperienced to last the full rigours of an SPL season - and who do we bring in if we have two or three injuries/suspensions?

I'm not convinced by either Stack or Brown in goals, either.

matty_f
15-08-2011, 01:09 PM
How can you say that, the guy has been tom kite since he came to the club and even if he is fit he doesn't deserve to be in the starting eleven, slow out of position most of the time and just basically crap and he is hampered with injuries, when he does play opposition teams always attack down his side because he is a weakness in our team, ball over the top of him and he has lost the battle, the manager should have had a replacement in the door for him before now, it was one of the positions that needed adressed for the start of the season and the manager should have had a new RB in by now.
Hart would have made no diference to that back four at all yesterday, its simple Hibs need a new RB, i would have said that Wotherspoon could fill in there but he is another one who doesn't deserve to be in the team, VP is not the answer either, a new RB before Saturday is a must.

Hart would have made a difference because it would have freed Palsson up to play in midfield.

Long term I don't think Hart is the answer, I think he's shown often enough that he's not up to a regular starting place, however to be fair to him he played well against Blackpool and looked to have played his way into CC's thoughts, given he started against Sunderland as well.

Aside from anything else, he would have brought some experience to the back four, and is a natural right back rather than a midfielder playing out of position.

I am not disputing (and never have) that we need a new right back and that Hart's not good enough. I would rather have seen Hart play yesterday though.

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2011, 01:13 PM
Hart would have made a difference because it would have freed Palsson up to play in midfield.

Long term I don't think Hart is the answer, I think he's shown often enough that he's not up to a regular starting place, however to be fair to him he played well against Blackpool and looked to have played his way into CC's thoughts, given he started against Sunderland as well.

Aside from anything else, he would have brought some experience to the back four, and is a natural right back rather than a midfielder playing out of position.

I am not disputing (and never have) that we need a new right back and that Hart's not good enough. I would rather have seen Hart play yesterday though.

I'd be surprised if we saw much of Hart in action in a Hibs jersey again. It's obvious that injuries and age have made him a shadow of the player he was at Aberdeen. He'll see out a lucrative contract on the treatment table.

matty_f
15-08-2011, 01:21 PM
I'd be surprised if we saw much of Hart in action in a Hibs jersey again. It's obvious that injuries and age have made him a shadow of the player he was at Aberdeen. He'll see out a lucrative contract on the treatment table.

Unfortunately I think you're right, fortunately it looks as though CC is trying to address the right back position.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 01:22 PM

Non contact friendlies are probably the best games to judge Hart. Jeezo if we are putting him in because we think that will strengthen the side, we are in worse trouble than i thought? :rolleyes:

Its the same with many of our players, Murray and Stevenson to name 2. They will get all the plaudits for friendlies as the game is played slower, they dont get anywhere near the time in a proper match, and subsequently look as bad as they did yesterday more often than not.

I cant believe those 2 plus Hart are being touted as 1st team players at easter road, along with a couple of others its no surprise to me we are still poor.

matty_f
15-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Non contact friendlies are probably the best games to judge Hart. Jeezo if we are putting him in because we think that will strengthen the side, we are in worse trouble than i thought? :rolleyes:

Its the same with many of our players, Murray and Stevenson to name 2. They will get all the plaudits for friendlies as the game is played slower, they dont get anywhere near the time in a proper match, and subsequently look as bad as they did yesterday more often than not.

I cant believe those 2 plus Hart are being touted as 1st team players at easter road, along with a couple of others its no surprise to me we are still poor.

I've said the same about Stevenson and Murray - they should be considered back up and no more, IMHO. Hart at least is a right back and the point I'm making is that if we could have played him we'd have strengthened because we would have had Palsson in midfield and thus removing one of Murray or Stevenson from that area.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I've said the same about Stevenson and Murray - they should be considered back up and no more, IMHO. Hart at least is a right back and the point I'm making is that if we could have played him we'd have strengthened because we would have had Palsson in midfield and thus removing one of Murray or Stevenson from that area.

I agree we might have made the midfield stronger, but we sure as hell would have made that back 4 even worse. We are so short of defenders its a real worry imo.

Calderwood can dress it up all he wants, and i'm sure he's not being honest Colin when he says he thinks we have enough cover for those places in defence?

matty_f
15-08-2011, 01:50 PM
I agree we might have made the midfield stronger, but we sure as hell would have made that back 4 even worse. We are so short of defenders its a real worry imo.

Calderwood can dress it up all he wants, and i'm sure he's not being honest Colin when he says he thinks we have enough cover for those places in defence?

CC doesn't think we have enough cover, which is why he's trying to get a RB in.

I don't think it would have made the back four any weaker. Would Hart have done a worse job than Palsson (not that I think Palsson did much wrong, by the way). He would have brought experience though, and like I said, would have strengthened the midfield, therefore perhaps easing the burden on the defence because fewer attacks would be coming at them.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 02:06 PM
CC doesn't think we have enough cover, which is why he's trying to get a RB in.

I don't think it would have made the back four any weaker. Would Hart have done a worse job than Palsson (not that I think Palsson did much wrong, by the way). He would have brought experience though, and like I said, would have strengthened the midfield, therefore perhaps easing the burden on the defence because fewer attacks would be coming at them.

Honest Colin said last week he was not looking for a right back, he said so did he not?

Again i disagree with you on Hart, if ever a player should be put down for humane reasons its him. We'd as well be playing a man down, or playing Ian Murray there, it all adds up to the same thing imo.

JimBHibees
15-08-2011, 02:10 PM
Honest Colin said last week he was not looking for a right back, he said so did he not?

Again i disagree with you on Hart, if ever a player should be put down for humane reasons its him. We'd as well be playing a man down, or playing Ian Murray there, it all adds up to the same thing imo.

:faf::faf:

matty_f
15-08-2011, 02:30 PM

He did say that, yes. Haven't you been quite vocal in not believing everything a manager says, and wanting the manager to say other things anyway regardless of the truth in it.

I wish you'd make your mind up. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 02:47 PM
He did say that, yes. Haven't you been quite vocal in not believing everything a manager says, and wanting the manager to say other things anyway regardless of the truth in it.

I wish you'd make your mind up. :wink:

Now don't let us start on the whole Honesty of a manager, i'm sure nobody wants that.

Especially as there were so many gushing at just how honest, honest Colin was during this summer of discontent. :wink:

silverhibee
15-08-2011, 03:12 PM

If the manger had played Hart there if he was fit it may have meant that VP may have sat on the bench for yesterdays game, you can only guess that VP would have started in the midfield Matty, he started with the same team from the ICT game, if Hart was fit for yesterday it may have been that VP was dropped and Hart comes in for VP, straight swap and keep the same midfield from the ICT game, its not as if VP has been a standout in midfield since he joined the club.

down-the-slope
15-08-2011, 05:10 PM
Now don't let us start on the whole Honesty of a manager, i'm sure nobody wants that.

Especially as there were so many gushing at just how honest, honest Colin was during this summer of discontent. :wink:

Oh please please please please please :greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
15-08-2011, 08:04 PM
We are going somewhere.............league one

Wanna bet?

sunshine1875
15-08-2011, 09:02 PM
In the last fifty-six games, we have had fourteen wins, nine draws and thirty-three losses.

You cannot argue with facts, we are a club going no-where!!!

Stevie Reid
17-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Every time we seem to address a problem, another one appears: -

Under Mowbray, we played great football but were a soft touch - the majority of results were good, and the vast majority of the football was very good.

Under Collins, the good football continued for a spell, we won a trophy, before the wheels came off after a phenomenal start to the 2007-0 season. Latterly the football was crap, and we were a soft touch.

Under Mixu we were big and physical but the football was awful - the majority of results were respectable, but ER was a grim place to be.

Under Yogi the football was ok until we hit the bad run, then we were bullied and that was apparently the reason for us struggling so badly, and latterly the football was awful and results even worse. Very depressing times.

Last season under Calderwood the football was awful, we were bullied, and the results were awful. This season we have signed big, physical players and were told that we would not be bullied, and presumed that we would do to teams what the big, physical sides to our apparently better football teams in recent years - we were then comprehensively outclassed by Killie's passing and movement. I wasn't sure if we couldn't get near them or just decided to stand off them - either way, it was a disaster.

For a few years up until Yogi, many fans thought that we had good players who were being poorly managed - this was then changed to having crap players and a crap manager. Then Calderwood came in and the horrendous results weren't his fault because of the crap he inherited - now we have apparently signed good players again, so if we have good players and a good manager then we surely shouldn't go far wrong. Time will tell.

Mixu told us we played well when we were utter crap - it was insulting; Yogi told us the players gave us their all when we were comprehensively defeated, it was no consolation, and often not true; Calderwood is honest enough to tell us how crap we are - does it make any difference? Is it any less insulting to be told by a manager who works with the players every single day that he knows we were crap?

I will give him time and continue to give my support (what else am I gonna do?), but I can't blame people for being hugely sceptical - as others have pointed out, the parallels between the first game under him at Aberdeen, and Sunday's debacle are rather worrying, and there has been zero improvement in any area of the team, apart from GOC up front. All his signings have been good on paper and I've been happy with the pedigree of all of them, hopefully in the coming weeks they can improve and another couple of signings will sort us out, and Sunday will prove to be nothing more than a blip - recent history suggests otherwise, however.

Rather worryingly, I remember Mixu continually claiming that we were only ever one piece of the jigsaw away from us playing exactly how he wanted us (he hailed Jonatan Johansson's signing as being absolutely pivotal in giving us balance on the right), yet it became apparent that it just wasn't going to get any better. I really hope that things don't go the same way this time, but CC's reign has been hugely unconvincing in every way thus far.

I agree with Speedway that home and away against the whole league will be assessment time, unless we are really struggling badly before that point.

matty_f
17-08-2011, 11:51 AM

Under Mowbray, we played great football but were a soft touch - the majority of results were good, and the vast majority of the football was very good.

Under Collins, the good football continued for a spell, we won a trophy, before the wheels came off after a phenomenal start to the 2007-0 season. Latterly the football was crap, and we were a soft touch.

Under Mixu we were big and physical but the football was awful - the majority of results were respectable, but ER was a grim place to be.

Under Yogi the football was ok until we hit the bad run, then we were bullied and that was apparently the reason for us struggling so badly, and latterly the football was awful and results even worse. Very depressing times.

Last season under Calderwood the football was awful, we were bullied, and the results were awful. This season we have signed big, physical players and were told that we would not be bullied, and presumed that we would do to teams what the big, physical sides to our apparently better football teams in recent years - we were then comprehensively outclassed by Killie's passing and movement. I wasn't sure if we couldn't get near them or just decided to stand off them - either way, it was a disaster.

For a few years up until Yogi, many fans thought that we had good players who were being poorly managed - this was then changed to having crap players and a crap manager. Then Calderwood came in and the horrendous results weren't his fault because of the crap he inherited - now we have apparently signed good players again, so if we have good players and a good manager then we surely shouldn't go far wrong. Time will tell.

Mixu told us we played well when we were utter crap - it was insulting; Yogi told us the players gave us their all when we were comprehensively defeated, it was no consolation, and often not true; Calderwood is honest enough to tell us how crap we are - does it make any difference? Is it any less insulting to be told by a manager who works with the players every single day that he knows we were crap?

I will give him time and continue to give my support (what else am I gonna do?), but I can't blame people for being hugely sceptical - as others have pointed out, the parallels between the first game under him at Aberdeen, and Sunday's debacle are rather worrying, and there has been zero improvement in any area of the team, apart from GOC up front. All his signings have been good on paper and I've been happy with the pedigree of all of them, hopefully in the coming weeks they can improve and another couple of signings will sort us out, and Sunday will prove to be nothing more than a blip - recent history suggests otherwise, however.

Rather worryingly, I remember Mixu continually claiming that we were only ever one piece of the jigsaw away from us playing exactly how he wanted us (he hailed Jonatan Johansson's signing as being absolutely pivotal in giving us balance on the right), yet it became apparent that it just wasn't going to get any better. I really hope that things don't go the same way this time, but CC's reign has been hugely unconvincing in every way thus far.

I agree with Speedway that home and away against the whole league will be assessment time, unless we are really struggling badly before that point.

Good post. I don't know what's wrong at Hibs (if there is anything wrong, because we are, after all, only 3 games into the season, where we've won one, lost two).

We need to see CC's side together, the players that he has brought to the club doing the jobs that he brought them to do. Then we'll have a sense of whether or not he's up to it. If we're playing like we did against Killie regularly when the new players have bedded in, then we're in big trouble.

Stevie Reid
17-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Good post. I don't know what's wrong at Hibs (if there is anything wrong, because we are, after all, only 3 games into the season, where we've won one, lost two).

We need to see CC's side together, the players that he has brought to the club doing the jobs that he brought them to do. Then we'll have a sense of whether or not he's up to it. If we're playing like we did against Killie regularly when the new players have bedded in, then we're in big trouble.

Definitely, Matty - I've rationalised things thus far by saying that if we'd drawn our opening 3 games we'd be very happy, but ultimately be on the same points. However, Sunday was a real low.

Fingers crossed it will be the nadir of this season.

smurf
17-08-2011, 12:22 PM

Excellent analysis.

I agree with every single point.

We simply must support the club and hope and pray the board have got CC right.

A good home win on Saturday would be a start...

How many home wins have we had at ER the past 12 months btw?

bawheid
17-08-2011, 12:27 PM

Five home wins since March 2010.

smurf
17-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Stevie Reid
17-08-2011, 12:29 PM
Excellent analysis.

I agree with every single point.

We simply must support the club and hope and pray the board have got CC right.

A good home win on Saturday would be a start...

I'm too scared to even check!

I must add, how much of a bad move does the Sunderland friendly look now? After the initial concerns about the quality of performance and level of attendance at the Celtic game, we surely would've got a decent home crowd for a 3pm Saturday home game against St. Johnstone after the away win at ICT - what would most likely hace been a largely positive and encouraging crowd too, and a home win would've been a fairly likely outcome.

A great chance to build a bit of momentum early in the season gone for no good reason IMO>

smurf
17-08-2011, 12:30 PM

Bloody hell that's a depressing stat... Considering the majority of the support will only see games at home it's no wonder folk just think we are rank...

Saturday though will get that up to six.:thumbsup:

Stevie Reid
17-08-2011, 12:31 PM

My God. That is unbelievable.

Add that to the fact that we lost more games than the relegated side last season, and it seems like a miracle that we've reportedly got 7000 ST holders.

silverhibee
17-08-2011, 12:32 PM

:shocked:

Stevie Reid
17-08-2011, 12:32 PM
Bloody hell that's a depressing stat... Considering the majority of the support will only see games at home it's no wonder folk just think we are rank...

:aok:

bawheid
17-08-2011, 12:33 PM

Yep, a dreadful statistic. Let's hope you're right, smurf. :agree:

smurf
17-08-2011, 12:34 PM

I must add, how much of a bad move does the Sunderland friendly look now? After the initial concerns about the quality of performance and level of attendance at the Celtic game, we surely would've got a decent home crowd for a 3pm Saturday home game against St. Johnstone after the away win at ICT - what would most likely hace been a largely positive and encouraging crowd too, and a home win would've been a fairly likely outcome.

A great chance to build a bit of momentum early in the season gone for no good reason IMO>

Yeah i would agree. It was a strange one particularly the financial implication also.

Madness to walk away from any Saturday 3pm kick off especially in the summer time i would have thought.

Seems the Sunderland game helped them though..

smurf
17-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Looking at our results since March 2010 what concerns is the number of games lost...

Not as if we can say 'we need to turn they draws into wins'.

With CC now got his team following major surgery i expect us to stop losing games so consistently.

There can be no excuses.

Speedway
17-08-2011, 01:26 PM

:agree: Absolutely.

Looking at our results since March 2010 what concerns is the number of games lost...

Not as if we can say 'we need to turn they draws into wins'.

With CC now got his team following major surgery i expect us to stop losing games so consistently.

There can be no excuses.

Agreed. When these 9 are put out to start on a regular basis (eg. more often than not):

O'Hanlon, Palsson, Sproule, Thornhill, Osbourne, GO'C, Agogo, Airey, Scott

then we're seeing Calderwood's Hibs.

Who did Mowbray sign in his first 12 months?

Brown, Murphy, Morrow, Shiels, Boozy, Konte, Hogg

any others?

Craig_in_Prague
17-08-2011, 01:35 PM

On what basis, would a win against Saintess be a 'fairly likely outcome' .........??? A flukey win at ICT?

Jeez.

I bet St J wish they had us to play like planned......They'd no doubt be glad to have got more points on the board and confidence up.

In fact, I would imagine every side in the league cannae wait till Hibs are next up.

Stevie Reid
17-08-2011, 01:43 PM
On what basis, would a win against Saintess be a 'fairly likely outcome' .........??? A flukey win at ICT?

Jeez.

I bet St J wish they had us to play like planned......They'd no doubt be glad to have got more points on the board and confidence up.

In fact, I would imagine every side in the league cannae wait till Hibs are next up.

I'm ever so sorry.

truehibernian
17-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Just to try and put a bit of perspective on things, and football management, I thought the link below was a good read especially the part about Sir Alex's appointment and early years at Man Utd. Their fans had banners after 3 years of his reign wanting him out ! We can't even give ourselves a year of CC it seems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Ferguson

I said a few months back that Calderwood would turn us around and I still have faith that he will. He will need another couple of windows too. But he has rid the club of the players that we all said had had their moment. He has, for me, brought in a better standard of player, and started to introduce young players into the side.

I get as frustrated as the next fan when we don't play well, but we really do need to learn patience. Calderwood proved at both Northampton and Notts Forest that he was not out of his depth. Far from it, he was a success at both IMO. Let's give the man time to mould the team.

smurf
17-08-2011, 01:49 PM
:agree: Absolutely.

Agreed. When these 9 are put out to start on a regular basis (eg. more often than not):

O'Hanlon, Palsson, Sproule, Thornhill, Osbourne, GO'C, Agogo, Airey, Scott

then we're seeing Calderwood's Hibs.

Who did Mowbray sign in his first 12 months?

Brown, Murphy, Morrow, Shiels, Boozy, Konte, Hogg

any others?

Ivan Sproule Jan 05.

JustSimplyHibs
17-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Hibs seem to be a club going no where....since 1980.

For over 30 odd years (my life time) the club has been on par or below all lesser supported clubs throughout Scotland.

for 20 years of the 30 we have been clearing debt, building our stadium, building our own training centre, bringing through our own talent, year on year along with the rest of Scottish Football we have been picking up peanuts from TV/Sponsorship as the Old Firm soak up a near 25% of all monies for finishing 1st and 2nd (Mad Vlad has a point somewhere with reagrd the Old Firm).

The way Scottish Football is set-up clubs like us, Aberdeen, Dundee Utd, Motherwell will in all honesty carry on going no where unless some Sugar Daddy comes along or they fold.

The real change needs to be made west at SFA HQ, SPL HQ, talk is cheap from these guys.

However

on Any Given Saturday (sunday) it's 11v11 who ever pulls that green and white jersey on better god dam work their socks off and get the victories - the mental attitude of the players needs to change right too the youth. This is bred from the top - loosing is not an option on or off the pitch.

Until the mentality of the club from the top changes we will remain on this straight road so i suppose the question to be asked to the Board is, "Where do you see Hibernian Football Club in 5 years time?"

Nailrod
20-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Players bedding in... give Calderwood time... put his own team together... transition... need to be patient... no divine right to beat teams like St Mirren... most supporters would bite your hand off to be in our position... one or two players away from a full squad... lot to thank Petrie for...

Not me. I've had enough. Shame, as I missed my 50th anniversary as a Hibby by about a year. I'll be back when Petrie finally wakes up to two facts:

1. A football club is about two things - one of them is financial stability
2. He truly hasn't the faintest idea how to choose, motivate, or develop a team manager and make him successful, which unfortunately is a kind of important attribute when you're the Chirman of a club, and especially when you're taking three times the salary that the manager's getting.

One glimmer of hope: Petrie's older than me, and I might still be alive when he pops his clogs. It does look like that's the only way we'll ever get shot of him.

R'Albin
20-08-2011, 04:22 PM
Players bedding in... give Calderwood time... put his own team together... transition... need to be patient... no divine right to beat teams like St Mirren... most supporters would bite your hand off to be in our position... one or two players away from a full squad... lot to thank Petrie for...

Not me. I've had enough. Shame, as I missed my 50th anniversary as a Hibby by about a year. I'll be back when Petrie finally wakes up to two facts:

2. He truly hasn't the faintest idea how to choose, motivate, or develop a team manager and make him successful, which unfortunately is a kind of important attribute when you're the Chirman of a club, and especially when you're taking three times the salary that the manager's getting.

One glimmer of hope: Petrie's older than me, and I might still be alive when he pops his clogs. It does look like that's the only way we'll ever get shot of him.

So now we are hoping that Petrie dies:rolleyes:

Betty Boop
20-08-2011, 04:27 PM
So now we are hoping that Petrie dies:rolleyes:

Come on ! He didn't say that.

lucky
20-08-2011, 04:41 PM
The title is wrong we are heading for the 1 st division

Nailrod
20-08-2011, 05:59 PM
So now we are hoping that Petrie dies:rolleyes:Are you? I'm actually hoping I don't. But my preferred option would be for Petrie to eff off and find some other club to turn into the footballing equivalent of half a decade spent eating dog turds.

Albion Hibs
20-08-2011, 06:22 PM

I will assume given the time of your post you were not at the game so what does it matter to you? How about we are a fan base going nowhere because we would rather sit and watch the game on a match thread

Davy Mac
20-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Sometimes certain people are good at tightening the belts of companies and organisations, prudent, well organised, sharp and plays hard ball brilliantly is how I would describe Rod Petrie tenure at Hibs.

However it takes a different mind to grow, develop and blossom a organisation and right now I'm not so sure the current Hibs people know how to do this during these difficult times.

I personally feel we are rudderless and lack genuine leadership on and off the park, take East Mains for example why do we not allow fans in and watch them train like other clubs do everywhere else in the world? Why do we not attempt to generate more interest at ER by letting the kids in say - for a fiver?

Also, surely there is a Manager out there who wants to manage and motivate a great club with fantastic facilities and more importantly have a squad of players who will fight for the cause and walk over hot coals for him?

We have accepted mediocrity, this is my club, Hibs is part of my life and yours and yet we have people in place who are just not cutting the mustard, I'm sorry but it's just not working with CC it happens, it happens everyday in business. It's not personal.

Hibercelona
20-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Even when we have grabbed the occasional win over the last few seasons, i've still walked out thinking... "How an earth did we get away with that one?" :confused:

Actually.... when was the last time you seen Hibs playing a game that they won convincingly and outplayed the opponents? :dunno:

I fear for us this season, I really do. We won't get away with scrapping wins this season. St Mirren outplayed us today, Dunfermline is a far better side than Hamilton, and I reckon our best bet of staying up this season is if Inverness fail to win anymore than a hand full of games. :boo hoo:

down the slope
20-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Listen to this rambling shambles of an interview http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14604100.stm

Hibercelona
20-08-2011, 06:41 PM
I will assume given the time of your post you were not at the game so what does it matter to you? How about we are a fan base going nowhere because we would rather sit and watch the game on a match thread

I didn't go to the game, I didn't look for a dodgey link and I didn't bother to tune in either, nor was I on here. I already knew the result.

Does hurting more make you any less of a fan?

Sas_The_Hibby
20-08-2011, 06:41 PM
Today, for the first time in almost 50 years of supporting Hibs, I went to a Hibs v St Mirren game at Easter Road, expecting us to lose.

I think that says a lot about how far we've sunk.

I think I finally agree that Petrie, for all the good he's done off the pitch, can take us no further. Lose Calderwood and we will just get another manager in, who, for whatever reason, is unable to halt the decline. There seems to be something deep-seated wrong at the club and I don't know what it is. It seems to be something over and above the shortcomings of the manager and the playing squad, though.

down the slope
20-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Listen to this rambling shambles of an interview http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/14604100.stm

Hibercelona
20-08-2011, 06:46 PM

Sounds like the drunk drivelling old man that you find talking over your sholder in a dive bar on a saturday afternoon, attempting to talk about the game he thought he'd watched today. :rolleyes:

wah
20-08-2011, 06:47 PM
the longer this decline continues the worse things will get. The "downward spiral" will be difficult to halt. You only have to look at the english leagues to realise how quickly a club can disappear from the radar. once a clubs supporters lose the "buzz" of a saturday it can take years to get them back.

Sas_The_Hibby
20-08-2011, 07:04 PM

To be fair, what can he say? He can't say "yes the team's sh**e" and he can't say "I thought we were magnificent today" so he has to come out with the usual platitudes about working harder etc. I do disagree strongly, nevertheless, with his implication that the game turned on two individual errors. The defence was posted missing half a dozen times when St Mirren put crosses in our box and we were lucky not to ship more goals. It would be better if he didn't say anything but I presume that, contractually, he has to agree to be interviewed.

It's not his interviews that concern me, anyway, it's the dross I watched today and the fact that it's just a seamless continuation of the dross I watched at the end of last season. Some new players, but almost all of them doing exactly what the previous players did.

Cropley10
20-08-2011, 07:52 PM
How hard can it be to do Calderwoods job? Sign injured players, lose most games, develop no players, provide no entertainment...