PDA

View Full Version : Stephens, Murray and Stevenson

The Hurricane
14-08-2011, 01:49 PM
Stephens - Worst center half ive seen in a hibs jersey, zero positional sense and no pace.

Murray - Have been a massive fan of his during his time here but he just doesn't have the legs anymore, game just seems to bypass him.

Stevenson - Has lived of one good game his whole career in the CIS Final, completely clueless. :grr:

Ozyhibby
14-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Spot on IMO.

Ernie Cobra
14-08-2011, 01:55 PM
add to that HANLON who was ****ing garbage
Palsson who is not a right back

also

PISTOL1875
14-08-2011, 01:56 PM
Ivan Sproule is a impact player.. Not good enough to start..

3pm
14-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Stephens - Worst center half ive seen in a hibs jersey, zero positional sense and no pace.

Murray - Have been a massive fan of his during his time here but he just doesn't have the legs anymore, game just seems to bypass him.

Stevenson - Has lived of one good game his whole career in the CIS Final, completely clueless. :grr:

There is no way Murray can be compared to the other 2 today.

pedroorange1875
14-08-2011, 01:58 PM

Surely you mean Hanlon. Stephens spent all day today trying to do 2 centre half jobs, i agree he also did not have a great game but Hanlon is a total liability and massively over rated

Viva_Palmeiras
14-08-2011, 02:02 PM

I know were all frustrated but can you not
Come up with something more original?

California-Hibs
14-08-2011, 02:03 PM
Agree with everything said so far. Murray has been a great servant to the club but hes unfortunatly now finished, he needs taken out the team asap. I've been saying it about Stevenson for long enough, the boy is utter garbage, sorry Stevenson lovers but he is! We have a few decent players on board, like the look of Agogo, O'connor will get us goals, plus throw in Airey and Sodje, we're sorted up top. Osbourne showed signs that he will be a player for us. The defense though needs addressed asap. Booth, O'Hanlon a new centre half and a new right back as Pallson is a midfielder!

lucky
14-08-2011, 02:05 PM

100% correct

LeithBoozy
14-08-2011, 02:13 PM
Hibs did not seem so well organised in defence as they were against Sunder land, with the fight skill and effort shown by Horner, Caldwell, Crawford, Taggart, and Smith. One thing for sure. If any of the players today, were to be dropped in favoure of a young lad, they will have no complaints. :rolleyes:

PISTOL1875
14-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Hibs did not seem so well organised in defence as they were against Sunder land, with the fight skill and effort shown by Horner, Caldwell, Crawford, Taggart, and Smith. One thing for sure. If any of the players today, were to be dropped in favoure of a young lad, they will have no complaints. :rolleyes:

Some people would rather play with 10 men...

The Hurricane
14-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Ivan Sproule is a impact player.. Not good enough to start..

100%. Exactly the same as his first spell. Can be exciting at times which is exactly why he should start on the bench.

EVENTUALLY
14-08-2011, 02:58 PM
After their performances against against Sunderland, Murray and Stephens would be amongst the first on todays team sheet, however Stephens was lousy today and Murray was a yard off the pace all day. The game started at a high tempo and Murray was struggling to get a foothold from the start. Thornhill contributed nothing in the first half, not a single thing. Killie played against 10 ten men so far as his involvement was concerned. At least Wotherspoon and Stevenson got on the ball to make mistakes but Thornhill's appetite for the game was non existent.

There are obvious things to improve this team.

Improve throw-ins, we are woeful in this area.
Workrate and fitness must be improved.
Movement and more movement up front. O'connor really needs to work harder.
A proper right back must be brought in to get Palsson into midfield.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 03:05 PM

You can include Wotherspoon in that assessment too, 4 players who need to be removed from any starting line up for me....

R'Albin
14-08-2011, 03:08 PM
O'connor really needs to work harder.

I disagree, think he has worked hard in his first three games, and has scored 2 in 3 so far despite being lone striker and not having many chances created for him. Cracking finish today as well.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 03:15 PM

I dont agree with your murray shout, but that is no surprise as I think he is a good player for our club and thought with O'Connor and Sproule he was one of the only players that actually gave one today.

Surprised how you managed to miss out our so called budding superstar which is Booth who got one of the biggest roastings I have ever seen a full back take in any game of football.

However as one of the other threads said lets not over-react. Very easy for the doom and gloomers to come flying back, glad to see you are still with us.

R'Albin
14-08-2011, 03:18 PM
I dont agree with your murray shout, but that is no surprise as I think he is a good player for our club and thought with O'Connor and Sproule he was one of the only players that actually gave one today.

Surprised how you managed to miss out our so called budding superstar which is Booth who got one of the biggest roastings I have ever seen a full back take in any game of football.

However as one of the other threads said lets not over-react. Very easy for the doom and gloomers to come flying back, glad to see you are still with us.

And Stack, couple of times he went in bravely and put his face in where it could have hurt.. But totally agree with the bottom paragraph:agree:

MountcastleHibs
14-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Stephens - Worst center half ive seen in a hibs jersey, zero positional sense and no pace.Murray - Have been a massive fan of his during his time here but he just doesn't have the legs anymore, game just seems to bypass him.Stevenson - Has lived of one good game his whole career in the CIS Final, completely clueless. :grr:Totally disagree with Murray being on that list. Hanlon and Wotherspoon were far worse. How Wotherspoon is still first choice I will never know. I've been saying for a good year now he's over rated and not good enough, and it looks like more are starting to see this too.Palsson should not be played at right back in future, and Booth can be forgiven for his poor performance, given he's been immense since he broke into the team. Thornhill, who I do believe will be a key player for us was missing today big time. Stephens made a few errors, but I felt Hanlon was a bigger culprit. We definitely need experience back there in case we lose O'Hanlon to injury again.The only real positives were Osbourne and Agogo who both look like good signings. We didn't see enough of Airey to judge.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 03:51 PM
if we are looking at the first goal what was Hanlon thinking / doing ?

Tyler Durden
14-08-2011, 04:12 PM
if we are looking at the first goal what was Hanlon thinking / doing ?

Any player who can read a game or has an ounce of intelligence would have stepped up and played Heffernan offside. Their left back had travelled 20 yards with the ball and it was clear he was going to play it in behind.

Calderwood's tactics seemed to involve our front 3/4 pressing Killie high up the park - but as soon as Killie bypassed them, the rest of the team weren't sure what to do. So we had Hanlon, Palsson, Stephens standing back off their men all the time.

No cohesion or real tactics at all. Our gameplan seemed to be to hit long balls to O Connor.

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Booth & Stevenson at the OG / 2nd goal ?

Turned inside out then inside out again by a winger that nobody has ever heard of

Neither got a block or challenge in

Schoolboy defending

Kaiser1962
14-08-2011, 04:36 PM
The defence were poor of that there is no doubt but to suggest Stephens is the worst centre half you've seen in a Hibs jersey is nonsense. Up until today Stephens has looked good in the games he has played so after one bad performance should we end his contract now?

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 04:38 PM
worst ever centre halves ?

Johnny Leith ?
Rikki Fleming
Marlene Dietrich
Billy McLaren
PC Murdock

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Stevens has had a good pre season and imo deseved a place in the side ahead of Hanlon had O'Hanlon been fit. Today he was poor alongside Hanlon. Hanlon i have never been convinced about, but both are still young.

Our back 4 are very young and very inexperienced at this level. In fact only Hanlon has any kind of experience between the 4 of them.

Palsson at right back when our best right back is playing badly in midfield is another puzzler?

Murray Stevenson and Wotherspoon have not been good enough for any midfield team in the SPL for over a year, some longer.

How Calderwood can come out and say we dont need a right back is astonishing, he must watch a different team to the one i do?

We look weak at the back, and one centre half O'Hanlon wont make that much of a difference, we need another decent quality central defender, and let Stevens and O'Hanlon play when they can force their way in with better performances either in training or in bounce games.

Looks like another long season.:rolleyes:

truehibernian
14-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Booth was awful today, and played like an under 19......that said, he had next to no help on his flank.

For me, the minute DW picked up his yellow I would have introduced Scott. The midfield became as usual ponderous and slow.....it needed bite and energy. Murray, Osbourne, Stevenson, Thornhill......none have real high energy impact.......that is what we are missing. Two real high tempo, up and at them midfielders......our boys want two or three touches before making the most basic of passes.......usually sideways.

This team is very much going to struggle. Heads went down after the second and there was only one winner after that......shooting practice for Killie today. The Hibernian Charitable Trust made sure of that, as ever !

KeithTheHibby
14-08-2011, 08:31 PM
Stephens and Hanlon are a liability if played together.

Either may be ok beside O'Hanlon though.

Fergus52
14-08-2011, 10:12 PM
yous are all moany *****ing ********s,
murray i thought was only slightly under par as was stephens, however i thought wotherspoon and stevenson were poor

typical hibs support getting all hysterical cause of one poor performance and an unlucky result to match

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 10:18 PM
murray i thought was only slightly under par as was stephens, however i thought wotherspoon and stevenson were poor

typical hibs support getting all hysterical cause of one poor performance and an unlucky result to match

Hardly an unlucky result..... We were lucky it was not heavier

Row H
14-08-2011, 10:23 PM

:faf:

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 10:33 PM

Aye its one result, :faf: but never mind we had the party to end all parties in the highlands 2 weeks ago. Sniff sniff.

Brebners Bookie
14-08-2011, 11:16 PM

Dinnae be silly

the_ginger_hibee
14-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Dinnae be silly

Exactly. Wasn't even worst centre half on the park today. Play him with O'Hanlon instead of Mr Lightweight Liability Hanlon and he will shine.

Heckys Wheel
15-08-2011, 04:15 AM
worst ever centre halves ?

Johnny Leith ?
Rikki Fleming
Marlene Dietrich
Billy McLaren
PC Murdock

Dave Beaumont,
Derek Anderson.

MB62
15-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Ok, following the frustration of yesterday, here's my tuppence worth.

Hanlon is making the same mistakes he made a year ago, bad positional sense with a simple long ball that should be bread and butter stuff for a centre half. Aberdenn scored and almost identical goal against us at Pittodrie last season in the 4-2 defeat, the laddies has not learned yet.

Wotherspoon is ok going forward but has absolutely no desire in him to get back to cover for his full back. Again I have witnessed his lack of effort in defensive positions for far too long, every week he plays is exactly the same.

Stevenson is unfortunately part of the reason we are where we are. If Lewis is the best we can offer then we are rightly struggling. He will be a good player in div one but hopefully with some other team.

I don't still don't think Callum Booth is a left back. I would like to see Ian Murray in there with Callum left midfield as he has the engine to get up and down (unlike Wotherspoon) which would give Murray the cover that a full back requires from his midfield. I think Callum looks more comfortable going forward and is quite exciting when doing so.

In saying all that, as far as yesterday goes, I actually thought we did ok until their 2nd goal. We then started the 2nd half the better team but the 3rd goal was the killer. When we defend, we have to defend as a team and not just leave it all to 4 inexprienced youngsters to do it for us.
We got a hammering yesterday, and probably deservedly so, but if there is still more faces to come in before the end of the month then a couple of auld heid defenders should now be priority.

hibee81
15-08-2011, 08:28 AM
yous are all moany *****ing ********s, murray i thought was only slightly under par as was stephens, however i thought wotherspoon and stevenson were poortypical hibs support getting all hysterical cause of one poor performance and an unlucky result to match comletely agree!!!!!!A bad day at the office for all involved the day, those who say murray is past it, get a grip, he's been the best player so far this season.very young team, with plenty of time to grow into a very good side. IMO the ball bypassed the centre of the park the day hense it coming back down the throat of the defence, Booth had a mare today but he's still on a learning curve and i beleive this sort of hiding he got today will only enhance his ability.So like i say lets put this down to a bad day for all and move on, everyone has them.

soproni1
15-08-2011, 08:43 AM

Think any full-back would have had bother if he was left 1vs 1 with that boy for the majority of them game. Although agree he did get a bit of a going-over

Sproule - not good enough in this system it would appear. Probably much better utilised as a sub