PDA

View Full Version : Lets Not Over React To Bad Day At The Office

smurf
14-08-2011, 01:11 PM
But let's not pretend that was embarrassing and could and probably should have been a heavier defeat.

The performance and result is simply unacceptable.

The Board appointed CC. They've told us he's a good manager and they've turned down offers for his services elsewhere. They are we are told backing him in the market.

I'm concerned after watching that today but let's see where we are a few further games down the line. The new players need to bed in very quickly.

Let's hope the board are right re CC.

Time will tell but first we need to give that time.

HIBERNIAN-0762
14-08-2011, 01:12 PM
But let's not pretend that was embarrassing and could and probably should have been a heavier defeat.

The Board appointed CC. They've told us he's a good manager and they've turner down offers for his services elsewhere. They are we are told backing them in the market.

I'm concerned after watching that today but let's see where we are a few further games down the line. The new players need to bed in very quickly.

And how much longer do we have to wait until he gets it right?

smurf
14-08-2011, 01:15 PM
And how much longer do we have to wait until he gets it right?

His results are poor as manager. No doubt.

He now has his team and it must improve. Fast.

Diclonius
14-08-2011, 01:16 PM

The Board appointed CC. They've told us he's a good manager and they've turner down offers for his services elsewhere. They are we are told backing them in the market.

:top marks

If we don't think positive then we WILL finish bottom six, make no mistake. The attitude to Hibs when we mess up that it's "never gonna ****in' get better, sack the manager, sack the board, SACK EVERYONE" will just make it worse.

I'm looking forward to next Saturday where we'll learn from our mistakes and turn over St Mirren.

Sammy7nil
14-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Celtic game at home - No effort on goal
ICT - out played for longspells a win against run of play
Killie - TOTALLY Outclassed and could have lost 8 goals

I dont think there is much time left if you look at the tailend of last season.

St Mirren game will tell us a lot

hibiedude
14-08-2011, 01:23 PM
Celtic game at home - No effort on goal ICT - out played for longspells a win against run of playKillie - TOTALLY Outclassed and could have lost 8 goals

Just when i'm at a low ebb after todays game you go and make it worse. :wink:

when you see these sad facts it hard to think positive

Alfred E Newman
14-08-2011, 01:28 PM
That was not a bad day at the office, that was an embarrassment.

scuttle
14-08-2011, 01:32 PM
So when do we stop over-recting when it finally dawns on us that we are bottom at xmas and heading for the first division. Totally unacceptable performance

Sumner
14-08-2011, 01:38 PM
... no let's.

Totally woeful - pass marks only to O'Connor.. Stack & Murray maybe
- the rest were wage thieves, simply pick up their fee for not putting in the effort.

lucky
14-08-2011, 01:39 PM
It was very poor but it is too early to predict how this season will go. I agree next week will tell us a bit more

NAE NOOKIE
14-08-2011, 01:41 PM
Bad day at the office? !!!

Try ... Woefull ... inept ... talentless ... spiritless ... spineless.

A back four that were as organised as a yard full of chickens with their heads cut off !!!

A midfield who were out thought, out played ... out everythinged.

A forward line who got no service whatsoever and when they did get scraps did sod all.

And last ... but certainly not least .... a manager who couldnt organise a ***** in a laxative factory and who still cant see that Murray ( god bless him ) hasnt got it any more, that Hanlon is slower than I am, that Stevenson isnt SPL class ( whatever that is ) and that Wotherspoon should be dropped before we do his promising career any more bloody damage and finally for proving that duds are duds no matter what league the have previously failed to make it in, aye Palson I mean you.

Cheers STF for saving the Hibs by the way..... If only you had said at the start that it was to turn them into a bloody joke I could have saved myself a lot of bother. !!!

EasterRoad4Ever
14-08-2011, 01:42 PM
Ant over-the-top reaction was last week's win when we defied the odds and stole 3 points from ICT. All of a sudden CC is a manager and bring on the Yams.

CC has just a few weeks to get this right or he'll get his jotters, costing Hibs a few hundred thou in the process.

Today was as dire as we could imagine, against a v average Killie.

hibsbollah
14-08-2011, 01:45 PM
Its only a game though eh.

NOLA
14-08-2011, 01:45 PM

The Board appointed CC. They've told us he's a good manager and they've turned down offers for his services elsewhere. They are we are told backing him in the market.

REMOVED raging at that PERFORMANCE, REMOVED is going on behind the scenes?? bottom 6 guaranteed already

Andy74
14-08-2011, 01:47 PM
He's running out of excuses and time. Worse than the previous incumbent.

Killiehibbie
14-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Even had the Killie fans I was sitting beside saying they felt sorry for me if that is all we have. Long hard season in store by the looks of it.

SneakersO'Toole
14-08-2011, 01:53 PM
I won't panic yet but there is no hiding the fact that today's performance was a shambles.

Killie are a decent team and no more than that but we made them look like Barca.

Tactics are very worrying indeed. How for example CC can justify playing Wotherspoon, nevermind the fact that he plays him LM is beyond me.

Defence as a unit today was atrocious. Moles holes than a teabag and I worry if that is going to be a familar back four for the season. Leadership, awareness and anticipation are badly lacking and it will cost ua goals consistentally unless we wise up pronto.

Stevenson, murray and Wotherspoon need dropped ASAP. Sproule needs a rocket up his backside.

In my eyes there is still a huge amount of work to be done before we get up to speed. My worry is that a lot of teams in this league are already ahead of in terms of maximising your chances for success. I get the impression that we are playing catch up somewhat.

Next week is huge. St Mirren are a completely different team from last year and have good players. Will be very interesting to see how we cope. A defeat next week however and I may just reach over that panic button.

Westie1875
14-08-2011, 02:00 PM
He's running out of excuses and time. Worse than the previous incumbent.

In your opinion.

In mine he isn't, he is honest enough to tell us he is building a team and there will be some bumps along the way. He appears to have the respect of the players which is crucial on days like today, and we also have what could be 4/5 first picks to come into the team (O'Hanlon, Agogo, Airey, Sodje, Osbourne) and they will improve it.

HUTCHYHIBBY
14-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Ant over-the-top reaction was last week's win when we defied the odds and stole 3 points from ICT. All of a sudden CC is a manager and bring on the Yams. Very much so.

Pedantic_Hibee
14-08-2011, 02:10 PM
I'm going to put my neck on the block here but I didn't actually think we were that bad today? :confused:

Aright, 4v1 is a hiding and it could have been more. But in the same token, it could have been less. At 2v1 down we were on top in the second half and CC made two substitutions at half-time which we were all no doubt hoping for to take the game to Killie.

If I were to dwell on the bad points first; Hanlon and Stephens need to communicate far, far more if they are going to be a successful pairing. As a former centre-back myself, I take a keen interest in that role and how they are managed/drilled. To me, within the first five minutes, Hanlon/Stephens should have agreed that one of them would take on the lone striker man for man whilst the other would drop 5 yards behind to cover. There wasn't much of a central support for Heffernan through the middle, it mainly came from the wide areas. Hanlon and Stephens could have saved themselves a torrid afternoon if they'd sorted the situation out earlier. As for Hanlon personally, I fail to see much from him at all. He's good with the ball at his feet but he's f***ing woeful without it, his position, anticipation and strength is shocking for such an important position. He needs to hit the gym and watch a few football DVDs. He's got the attributes to be a very good centre back, what he's lacking in he can certainly learn.

Sproule was ineffective for the 90 minutes barring a couple of runs. His main (and probably only) asset is his explosive pace, he needs to use it almost every time he receives the ball out wide. It doesn't matter how predictable it is, even if the full-back knows what's coming, Ivan will still win in a 10 yard sprint 9 times out of 10 so he needs to use that option more.

Wotherspoon, again, offered very, very little. He's another with ability, a good touch and the potential to be an all-round midfielder but all too often he's off the pace, on the periphery and completely redundant in end product. Taking into account he's pretty much an established first-teamer, I still feel he would benefit from a season out on loan. Failing that, play him at right-back because he's offering nothing further up the park at present.

Thornhill didn't have one of his better games but he can be forgiven for that, he wasn't shy of effort but it wasn't to be for him today. Palsson played well enough I feel, nothing spectacular but he did a shift at right back. Stack similarly, no frills but a decent, solid performance from him. Booth, although culpable for the second goal will, and I have no doubts about this, bring in our record transfer fee when he moves on. Seldom have I seen a youngster so composed, unruffled and assured on the ball. He really needs a decent haircut though, it looks like he's cultivating a mini-busby at the moment.

Plus points? Isaiah Osbourne for me; I could tell within the first two minutes he'll be a big player for us. Reminiscent of Sol Bamba in midfield I feel; tall, angular, powerful, strong, athletic and imposing. He misplaced a few passes but there's enough there to suggest he'll be a focal point of our engine room once he's properly up and running. Agogo is another who looks different to what we've had the past few seasons. He's bubbly, mobile, has quick feet and is strong on the ball.

There isn't many from the team today who I would give below average marks to, other than Sproule and the centre-back pairing. The rest were average with a few moments of skill.

Credit to Kilmarnock who were great to watch, had plenty of endeavour and no shortage of pace and verve, they would have made any team in the SPL work hard for their money today.

All in all, I don't think we were all that bad and I'm glad we went chasing the game at 2v1 rather than sit back and hope for the best.

Sh**e result, not a bad performance, plenty to work on, but enough hope for the future.

Lee
14-08-2011, 02:15 PM
Positioning was shocking at times - you could have drove a bus through the middle of our defence and our midfield did not do enough to support either...and someone really should have had a word with Stephens about his wandering!!

oneone73
14-08-2011, 02:37 PM
I'm going to put my neck on the block here but I didn't actually think we were that bad today? :confused:

Aright, 4v1 is a hiding and it could have been more. But in the same token, it could have been less. At 2v1 down we were on top in the second half and CC made two substitutions at half-time which we were all no doubt hoping for to take the game to Killie.

If I were to dwell on the bad points first; Hanlon and Stephens need to communicate far, far more if they are going to be a successful pairing. As a former centre-back myself, I take a keen interest in that role and how they are managed/drilled. To me, within the first five minutes, Hanlon/Stephens should have agreed that one of them would take on the lone striker man for man whilst the other would drop 5 yards behind to cover. There wasn't much of a central support for Heffernan through the middle, it mainly came from the wide areas. Hanlon and Stephens could have saved themselves a torrid afternoon if they'd sorted the situation out earlier. As for Hanlon personally, I fail to see much from him at all. He's good with the ball at his feet but he's f***ing woeful without it, his position, anticipation and strength is shocking for such an important position. He needs to hit the gym and watch a few football DVDs. He's got the attributes to be a very good centre back, what he's lacking in he can certainly learn.

Sproule was ineffective for the 90 minutes barring a couple of runs. His main (and probably only) asset is his explosive pace, he needs to use it almost every time he receives the ball out wide. It doesn't matter how predictable it is, even if the full-back knows what's coming, Ivan will still win in a 10 yard sprint 9 times out of 10 so he needs to use that option more.

Wotherspoon, again, offered very, very little. He's another with ability, a good touch and the potential to be an all-round midfielder but all too often he's off the pace, on the periphery and completely redundant in end product. Taking into account he's pretty much an established first-teamer, I still feel he would benefit from a season out on loan. Failing that, play him at right-back because he's offering nothing further up the park at present.

Thornhill didn't have one of his better games but he can be forgiven for that, he wasn't shy of effort but it wasn't to be for him today. Palsson played well enough I feel, nothing spectacular but he did a shift at right back. Stack similarly, no frills but a decent, solid performance from him. Booth, although culpable for the second goal will, and I have no doubts about this, bring in our record transfer fee when he moves on. Seldom have I seen a youngster so composed, unruffled and assured on the ball. He really needs a decent haircut though, it looks like he's cultivating a mini-busby at the moment.

Plus points? Isaiah Osbourne for me; I could tell within the first two minutes he'll be a big player for us. Reminiscent of Sol Bamba in midfield I feel; tall, angular, powerful, strong, athletic and imposing. He misplaced a few passes but there's enough there to suggest he'll be a focal point of our engine room once he's properly up and running. Agogo is another who looks different to what we've had the past few seasons. He's bubbly, mobile, has quick feet and is strong on the ball.

There isn't many from the team today who I would give below average marks to, other than Sproule and the centre-back pairing. The rest were average with a few moments of skill.

Credit to Kilmarnock who were great to watch, had plenty of endeavour and no shortage of pace and verve, they would have made any team in the SPL work hard for their money today.

All in all, I don't think we were all that bad and I'm glad we went chasing the game at 2v1 rather than sit back and hope for the best.

Sh**e result, not a bad performance, plenty to work on, but enough hope for the future.

Pretty much agree with most of that. Osbourne and Agogo look interesting, and the return of O'Hanlon will help what has to be youngest Hibernian defence ever. Both Stevenson and Wotherspoon probably need to be withdrawn from the firiing line for a bit, tho; they look like they're going to be the target for the boo-boys already. Would still like a LM to help Booth; I haven't written off Galbraith yet. It's going to be a long season, but there is some room for hope.

matty_f
14-08-2011, 02:45 PM

I don't think there were many positives in our performance today at all. I thought we were that bad, to be honest.

For me, the midfield even more than the defence was responsible for the defeat. They didn't protect the back four and they didn't get the ball to the attack. We're never going to win games or play well under those circumstances.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but really I'm struggling to assess that performance in any other way that doesn't include the word "pish."

BT58
14-08-2011, 02:48 PM
Things could be worse, we could be aberdeen/ inverness
Seriosly tho,,, we have to get more EXPERIENCE IN THE DEFENCE
AND PRONTO

HFC 0-7
14-08-2011, 02:50 PM
I would say that we need to give Calderwood another 4 or 5 games and also see if he gets in some more players. I am concerned at this point though as the performances havent been great, the effort is there but tactics and player choices have been suspect IMO. If the performances havent picked up in 4 or 5 games I think there will be some hard decisions for the board. I wouldnt be surprised though if we have 5 bad results and performances and the manager still here as the board probably cant afford to get rid of a manager and find a new one this early in a season.

down the slope
14-08-2011, 03:01 PM
Anyone see a vast improvement from last season ?, well there should be as our great leader turned down 300k for him and accountants know lots about football you know !. I gave him ten games till we have to pay him off so seven to go and then what ?, we are a shambles from top to bottom , i want my team back !.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 03:06 PM

We were pathetic all over the park....How CC could watch the back four in first half being ripped to shreds, and not change it sums him up, no plan B......

Hibs will rue the day they knocked back Birmingham's last bid......

MSK
14-08-2011, 03:10 PM
We were pathetic all over the park....How CC could watch the back four in first half being ripped to shreds, and not change it sums him up, no plan B......

Hibs will rue the day they knocked back Birmingham's last bid......Who in that team today could have changed the back four ..?

Dinkydoo
14-08-2011, 03:10 PM
REMOVED raging at that PERFORMANCE, REMOVED is going on behind the scenes?? bottom 6 guaranteed already

Jesus ****ing christ; we are THREE games into the season.

Bottom six is guaranteed with that kind of mentality.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 03:12 PM
Who in that team today could have changed the back four ..?

He could have moved Murray back, put Booth further up, taking spoony off who offered no service to Booth all game.....

How bad must De Graff and Galbraith be if they can't force their way into our team....

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 03:13 PM

Our manager thinks that we don't have a problem with the full back positions.....I have not got coaching badges but can see it's clearly an issue for us.....

Cropley10
14-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Celtic game at home - No effort on goal
ICT - out played for longspells a win against run of play
Killie - TOTALLY Outclassed and could have lost 8 goals

St Mirren sound like a different prospect this season too What I don't get is thinking we're going to win much with a back four of U21s. Madness

ronaldo7
14-08-2011, 03:18 PM
He could have moved Murray back, put Booth further up, taking spoony off who offered no service to Booth all game.....

How bad must De Graff and Galbraith be if they can't force their way into our team....

Great move to have Murray moved back on that enormous pitch. A wee ball over the top and Bingo, another goal.

Booth is our left back and is not a left mid so waste of time imo. I know he had a bad day today but how about leaving them to get the hang of things.

Spoony off..........Agreed.

marinello59
14-08-2011, 03:18 PM
St Mirren sound like a different prospect this season too What I don't get is thinking we're going to win much with a back four of U21s. Madness

Suggs and co would probably be a better bet at the back.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 03:20 PM

Well said mate. Unfortunatly you are pissing into the wind when it comes to keeping the faith on this board, the doom and gloomers will be buzzing there nuts off with the usualy "delighted I did not get a season ticket", "this is why I did not get a season ticket" etc etc moan moan moan about the team, but wont get off there erses to go and back them.

Today was a bad day, Chelsea did not win today, wonder if there fans are having one!

I feel this will come right, we need a couple of more games to let the new guys bed in, but lets be honest, the usual suspects on here have been very quite recently, this will at least give them something to do until saturday!

MSK
14-08-2011, 03:25 PM

How bad must De Graff and Galbraith be if they can't force their way into our team....Sorry but Murray would have been pounded at left back today and Booth couldnt cross a coupon based on recent performances ..we needed an experienced CH ..we needed an experienced RB, we needed an experienced R/L & CM ..we had none of them & we paid the price today ..

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 03:26 PM
Great move to have Murray moved back on that enormous pitch. A wee ball over the top and Bingo, another goal.

Booth is our left back and is not a left mid so waste of time imo. I know he had a bad day today but how about leaving them to get the hang of things.

Spoony off..........Agreed.

Booth was being roasted all game, is that good for his confidence, it should have been changed....

smurf
14-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Well said mate. Unfortunatly you are pissing into the wind when it comes to keeping the faith on this board, the doom and gloomers will be buzzing there nuts off with the usualy "delighted I did not get a season ticket", "this is why I did not get a season ticket" etc etc moan moan moan about the team, but wont get off there erses to go and back them.

Today was a bad day, Chelsea did not win today, wonder if there fans are having one!

I feel this will come right, we need a couple of more games to let the new guys bed in, but lets be honest, the usual suspects on here have been very quite recently, this will at least give them something to do until saturday!

Don't get me wrong today is very concerning... particularly after last season and the one before that...

I just think we have to give it a few games to get a more accurate feel and true picture of where we are.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Sorry but Murray would have been pounded at left back today and Booth couldnt cross a coupon based on recent performances ..we needed an experienced CH ..we needed an experienced RB, we needed an experienced R/L & CM ..we had none of them & we paid the price today ..

Whose fault is this?

smurf
14-08-2011, 03:32 PM
Booth was being roasted all game, is that good for his confidence, it should have been changed....

I thought booth did ok against a very difficult opponent. At times he was roasted but other times did well. The problem was there was no support for Booth. Stevenson the worst offender. Summed us up. Little desire or fight. Only one 'team' today.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 03:34 PM
I thought booth did ok against a very difficult opponent. At times he was roasted but other times did well. The problem was there was no support for Booth. Stevenson the worst offender. Summed us up. Little desire or fight. Only one 'team' today.

Wotherspoon offered little support either

Albion Hibs
Don't get me wrong today is very concerning... particularly after last season and the one before that...

I just think we have to give it a few games to get a more accurate feel and true picture of where we are.

Agreed, last year when we beat rangers 0-3 at ibrox was not a reflection of a tenth place season. Equally when St J beat us 5-1 it was not an accurate reflection of the season we finished 4th.

Results happen like that, I think we cost ourselves that game and made them look very good. You cant go 1 down so early then lose another before half time. At half time I actually thought we could win the game and so did other sitting along side me, the second half was bad more silly goals and a lot of lost balls, perhaps as a result of throwing in 2/3 players who have just walked through the front door.

ronaldo7
Booth was being roasted all game, is that good for his confidence, it should have been changed...

With whom?

Dinkydoo
14-08-2011, 03:37 PM

To be fair, I thought that Dayton guy looked like he'd be at home playing for either of the OF week in week out.

A very good player IMO.

basehibby
14-08-2011, 03:38 PM

:agree: Agreed - for me today was a demonstration of just how weak we are in defence. Hanlon and Booth are great prospects but they need to be playing amongst older heads. Palsson has done OK at RB for a young midfielder - Stephens is another youngster who blows hot and cold. O'Hanlon has made a difference when he's played and we need another one like him who can play RB - still time to sort that this window - I wait in anticipation.

As far as the midfield is concerned there is little creativity in there - can Osbourne make a difference in that respect? - too early to say but he's billed as a defensive midfielder.

All in all, Killie were the more settled and enterprising side and fully deserved the points today - our new signings clearly need to "bed in" to the team as in the second half we looked like exactly what we were at times - a set of footballers who don't know each other from adam.

This is an inevitable consequence of doing transfer business later in the window - the other side of that coin being greater availability of quality talent within Hibs' budget - has Calderwood got that magic eye for spotting that talent???

Like you say - time will tell and we need to give that time.

silverhibee
14-08-2011, 03:41 PM
I don't think there were many positives in our performance today at all. I thought we were that bad, to be honest.

For me, the midfield even more than the defence was responsible for the defeat. They didn't protect the back four and they didn't get the ball to the attack. We're never going to win games or play well under those circumstances.

I can sort of see where you're coming from, but really I'm struggling to assess that performance in any other way that doesn't include the word "pish."

So nothing has changed from last season then.

Today was pish no getting away from that, it will no doubt be the same back four for Saturday against St Mirren and that is a worry, i am sure Danny Lennon watched the game today and seen the shambles that was our defence and that will give his team some confidence for Saturday, CC needs to work very hard next week at training to get the team playing better than today.
Have the players stepped up that 1% the manager asked of last season.

silverhibee
14-08-2011, 03:48 PM
I would say that we need to give Calderwood another 4 or 5 games and also see if he gets in some more players. I am concerned at this point though as the performances havent been great, the effort is there but tactics and player choices have been suspect IMO. If the performances havent picked up in 4 or 5 games I think there will be some hard decisions for the board. I wouldnt be surprised though if we have 5 bad results and performances and the manager still here as the board probably cant afford to get rid of a manager and find a new one this early in a season.

I dont think the board have any choice now but to back the manager after all the noises they made about keeping him at ER, no chance they are going to sack him after five games even if they are all defeats, if they were to sack him after all the carry on over the summer trying to keep him i would expect Mr Farmer to be getting rid of SL and RP.

erin go bragh
14-08-2011, 04:21 PM
Bad day at the office? !!!

Try ... Woefull ... inept ... talentless ... spiritless ... spineless.

A back four that were as organised as a yard full of chickens with their heads cut off !!!

A midfield who were out thought, out played ... out everythinged.

A forward line who got no service whatsoever and when they did get scraps did sod all.

And last ... but certainly not least .... a manager who couldnt organise a ***** in a laxative factory and who still cant see that Murray ( god bless him ) hasnt got it any more, that Hanlon is slower than I am, that Stevenson isnt SPL class ( whatever that is ) and that Wotherspoon should be dropped before we do his promising career any more bloody damage and finally for proving that duds are duds no matter what league the have previously failed to make it in, aye Palson I mean you.

Cheers STF for saving the Hibs by the way..... If only you had said at the start that it was to turn them into a bloody joke I could have saved myself a lot of bother. !!!
:rolleyes: Try some prozac ffs , agree about stevenson but to say we are a bloody joke :bitchy:
3 games , 3 points, tic home,cali,killie away was always going to be tough so lets see how things go next week .
ggtth

scuttle
14-08-2011, 04:34 PM
:rolleyes: Try some prozac ffs , agree about stevenson but to say we are a bloody joke :bitchy:
3 games , 3 points, tic home,cali,killie away was always going to be tough so lets see how things go next week .
ggtth
Even prozac wouldnt help me feel better after that.It may have well been a tough start and had we played well in those games and lost them it wouldnt be so bad. But the issue is the performance, no attempts against smellic ,a flukey win at Inverness where we rode our luck and then there was that shambles today. We are a joke especially at the back which is supposed to be Calderwoods area of expertise

seven nowt
14-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Get Steven Hawkings incharge, he could see how many problems Hibs have better than Calderwood. Hibs are ***** just now.

seven nowt
14-08-2011, 04:37 PM
Calderwood says we'll play like the Netherlands, Edwin De Graaf isn't Sneijder. He said we'll be hard to beat - 4-1. Devastated

Gala Foxes
14-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Calderwood says we'll play like the Netherlands, Edwin De Graaf isn't Sneijder. He said we'll be hard to beat - 4-1. Devastated

Playing like the Netherlands ?

Did Stevenson and Booth have cloggs on at the 2nd goal ?

Viva_Palmeiras
14-08-2011, 04:45 PM

I cant really comment as I'm not an ST holder. But perhaps folks that are could think back to the takeover of Mercer and consider what they would say to themselves if they'd heard their comments from today back then?

Postiga
14-08-2011, 05:40 PM
I don't post much these days but todays performance was unacceptable. The first goal was shambles, out to the left back onto the winger and a ball right through the two centre halfs, 3 passes! Stephen's was on the wrong side of his man often and rash when had the ball to feet, Stack was poor again to name a only a couple, only player to (nearly) get pass marks for me was GOC and that was only for his finish for the equaliser.

Something has to change, 1 up top to start with against Kilmarnock is embarassing, Not a knee jerk reaction but we should have ripped the offer out of birmingham or Forrests hand for Calderwood.

flood
14-08-2011, 06:04 PM
All in all, Killie were the more settled and enterprising side and fully deserved the points today - our new signings clearly need to "bed in" to the team as in the second half we looked like exactly what we were at times - a set of footballers who don't know each other from adam.

Killies back 4 were all new from last season, 1 midfielder was new out of the 5 (and Dayton hardly played due to serious injury last season) and the striker played his debut.

So over half Killie's team were "new and bedding in"

StevieC
14-08-2011, 06:30 PM
Over-reaction seems to be the HibsNet way at the moment. :rolleyes:

I thought we were poor defensively and I think the average age played a big part in that.
I commented to my friend at the Celtic game how O'Hanlon, with his experience, was running the defence and dirtecting players (in a Stuart Pierce kind of fashion). I am pretty sure that the defence will improve with his return.

The 2nd goal was a bit unlucky but credit has to go to the wing play that caused it.

Start of the second half I thought we were starting to play quite well and the 3rd, IMO, was against the run of play.

Once it went in though (an excellent free kick BTW) it killed the game as a contest and heads went down.

What little I saw of Osbourne was promising, I'm hopeful he will turn out to be a very good signing.

In summary .. not a good result. Frailties in the team were exposed, and thankfully done so before the close of the transfer window.

oldbutdim
14-08-2011, 06:39 PM

You've convinced me.

I won't be back.:rolleyes:

What a hoot!

I'm used to seeing the wee blue fella getting ripped apart on 'another site' for being a moaning git.
:na na:

And here he is getting tagged with the 'blind optimist' role.
:greengrin

It was poor today - but it's been poor before (yes I know :rolleyes:) and I think we will rally and find a bit of form soon.

Very soon.

hibsbollah
14-08-2011, 06:42 PM
Hibs.net Bedwetters out in force.

MSK
14-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Hibs.net Bedwetters out in force.:agree:

Removed
14-08-2011, 06:46 PM
Hibs.net Bedwetters out in force. Just as well I've got a water bed then :agree:

down the slope
14-08-2011, 06:49 PM

Aye everything is fine !.

Kaiser1962
14-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Aye everything is fine !.

could be worse...........

down-the-slope
14-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Its only a game though eh.

:agree: Tis indeed that

ancient hibee
14-08-2011, 06:56 PM
I really can't be bothered checking but aren't some of the hang draw and quarter brigade the same people appointing Stephens as their MOM recently?

Expectations were far too high with posters picking teams full of players they've never seen-whether they were fit or not but just because they are new,while others were advocating the same team as played ICT-if it's not broke don't fix it I seem to recall.

Anyone who thinks any of the present team are "the worst ever player in a Hibs jersey"just hasn't been following the Hibs long enough.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Everythings just hunky dory:rolleyes:

MSK
14-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Everythings just hunky dory:rolleyes:Has a point though ..nae where tae be seen after we beat Inverness ..today ..swarming all over the forum ..

Hiber-nation
14-08-2011, 07:22 PM

10th last season and horsed 4-1 (going on 6) by a club without a win in 9 games and apparently in a financial crisis. Aye its all fine.

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Has a point though ..nae where tae be seen after we beat Inverness ..today ..swarming all over the forum ..

Maybe everyone was out celebrating the win...........

Maybe some people just don't want to see how bad things are?

MSK
14-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Maybe everyone was out celebrating the win...........

Maybe some people just don't want to see how bad things are?Aye ..what a coincidence baldy eh ..?...:rolleyes:

Baldy Foghorn
14-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Aye ..what a coincidence baldy eh ..?...:rolleyes:

Not getting you........ I hope this is not a dig at me

hibee_patty
14-08-2011, 08:33 PM
killie gave our young boys a football lesson today! learning curve for our defence and it will bring them on!

Franck Stanton
14-08-2011, 11:54 PM

Get Hanlon off, move Palsson to c/h move Spoony to r/b - Simples [ bring Ozzie on for m/f]

blackpoolhibs
14-08-2011, 11:58 PM
Has a point though ..nae where tae be seen after we beat Inverness ..today ..swarming all over the forum ..

Why would hibs fans moan when we have won??????????? Especially when we don't win very often, is it what 10 in 35 or something like that?

AJWisme
14-08-2011, 11:58 PM
I genuinely think this was a bad day at the office for the players as I think there is talent there.
However, IMO, the management team isn't doing it and the record doesn't lie.

As for all this "bed wetting" or "happy clapping", is it not ok to be happy when we win and distraught when beaten? It's all just opinions in the end.

greenlex
15-08-2011, 09:35 AM
But let's not pretend that was embarrassing and could and probably should have been a heavier defeat.The performance and result is simply unacceptable.The Board appointed CC. They've told us he's a good manager and they've turned down offers for his services elsewhere. They are we are told backing him in the market.I'm concerned after watching that today but let's see where we are a few further games down the line. The new players need to bed in very quickly.Let's hope the board are right re CC.Time will tell but first we need to give that time. I agree Smurf. Unless we are in real trouble before the next window with absolutely no signs of progress from last season calderwood needs a full season with his own team. Time to judge him then.

Steve20
15-08-2011, 09:41 AM
How many "bad days at the office" can Calderwood get away with. His record as our manager is appalling.

smurf
15-08-2011, 10:14 AM
How many "bad days at the office" can Calderwood get away with. His record as our manager is appalling.

I agree. However, until the reconstruction is finished and his side 'beds in' we should hold fire.

ahibby
15-08-2011, 10:29 AM
He did say that the start of the season came a month to early, probaby because they planned to bring in players during August, some at least who haven't had a pre season. So we will see what September brings! I'm looking forward to this Saturday, he might stick with the same line up that started at Killie but I doubt it. Personally think that he needs to change it or be damned.

Hainan Hibs
15-08-2011, 10:55 AM
It's a sign of how far the club has fallen when you have to accept a 4-1 rogering off of Killie to avoid being called a bedwetter.

Andy74
15-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Can anyone tell me what it is about CC that people seem to be keen to give him much longer and allow him much worse stats than previous guys?

PaulSmith
15-08-2011, 11:29 AM
Can anyone tell me what it is about CC that people seem to be keen to give him much longer and allow him much worse stats than previous guys?

We must allow someone to have a period of stability at the club and build a team. It's as simple as that for me and his signings suggest that we're on track.

R'Albin
15-08-2011, 11:31 AM
We must allow someone to have a period of stability at the club and build a team. It's as simple as that for me and his signings suggest that we're on track.

Yup:agree:

Andy74
15-08-2011, 11:41 AM

Okay, but why have we suddenly decided that CC will be allowed all the time in the world when others have been hounded out for less?

His signings, like all signings we've made in recent years sound great at the time but like all the ones we made in January seem to quickly go downhill. We'll see if the recent ones fare better.

So far:

January

Sodje - has been good.

Palsson - great first couple of games, looked like new Sauzee, turned out average.
Thornhill - mainly anonymous, might come good.
Scott - no better than we had.
Towell - started well, other than giving a goal away and then an own goal, but didn't really carry that on.
Vaz Te - little impact.
Divis - poor.

Summer

O'Connor - good.
Sproule - running about but little impact.
O'Hanlon - a couple of injuries.
Osboune - looked good when he came on.
Agogo - looked okay too.
Airey - no idea yet.

So, Calderwood's record wth someone else's team was terrible, and if we are trusting him because of signings, twelve of them, in reality, they've either been average or hard to tell yet other than Sodje and O'Connor who have been successes so far.

Captain Trips
15-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Would not be such a problem at all if abnormal unfortunatley there have been a lot of bad days at the office than I would like to remember. I still think we are heading for disaster yet again.

StevieC
15-08-2011, 12:11 PM
His signings, like all signings we've made in recent years sound great at the time but like all the ones we made in January seem to quickly go downhill. We'll see if the recent ones fare better.

Palsson - great first couple of games, looked like new Sauzee, turned out average.
I thought that Palson looked very good in midfield last season, his distribution was excellent.

As you say, I think he'll do good. The thing about Thornhill for me is that he's up and down the park and will make himself available for passes. In comparison to Stevenson who I feel is happy to hide at the moment.

Agreed, he's no superstar. He was brought in to give a bit of dig to a midfield that wasn't interested and had their minds elsewhere, that might not be needed this season so he may be excess to requirements.

Towell - started well, other than giving a goal away and then an own goal, but didn't really carry that on.
I'd like to see Towell back, even if only as back up. He wasn't backward at getting forward (if you know what I mean) and while his inexperience may have given us the odd flutter in defence he was overall a reasonable player.

Vaz Te - little impact.
Not up to the standard we need, CC obviously felt the same way so he's gone.

Divis - poor.
Too few games to comment.

Summer

O'Connor - good.
I'd go so far as to say he's been excellent (by SPL standards).

Little impact so far. We know what he is capable of though and very few on here were disappointed to see him sign. Probably not a CC target though so it's a bit unfair to judge him on whether Sproule can produce consistent performances

But prior to those injuries looked an excellent signing.

I agree, looks like he could be another excellent signing.

Agogo - looked okay too.

Airey - no idea yet.

In summary, most of his signings seem to be okay and have improved the squad. Not sure what your point is?

:dunno:

basehibby
15-08-2011, 12:18 PM
Okay, but why have we suddenly decided that CC will be allowed all the time in the world when others have been hounded out for less?

So far:

January

Sodje - has been good.

Vaz Te - little impact.
Divis - poor.

Summer

O'Connor - good.
Agogo - looked okay too.
Airey - no idea yet.

So, Calderwood's record wth someone else's team was terrible, and if we are trusting him because of signings, twelve of them, in reality, they've either been average or hard to tell yet other than Sodje and O'Connor who have been successes so far.

Not true in my case - I was never in the camp which took apparent delight in ripping into our previous incumbent at every conceivable opportunity. Neither am I ripping into Calderwood - even if I'm far from convinced about him at this stage.

I simply believe that football managers by and large deserve a proper chance to prove their abilities before a baying mob starts calling for their head. Calderwood took over at a time when Hibs were in the midst of a stretch of dreadful form, so , naturally many fans have allowed him time to turn things around given the scale of the rebuilding job at hand - many more would be affording him every chance if he had only made a strong verbal commitment to the club over the summer.

HibsMax
15-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't think we should be analysing the season after every single game. Forget last season's results, it was a different team. This season has started off pretty badly but better than some people thought e.g., those predicting 1 point from the first 3 games. CC has new players in so all responsibility lies with him. Nobody else. Let's give the team a chance to bond and see where things are. If I had to impose a time frame, I would say let's see where things are once we've at least played every team in the league. We have some very new players and some who are coming back from injury. I expect big things from this team but not immediately (quicker would be a bonus).

If we get to Christmas and we are languishing in the nether regions of the SPL with no sign of improvement then I will re-asses then.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I thought that Palson looked very good in midfield last season, his distribution was excellent.

As you say, I think he'll do good. The thing about Thornhill for me is that he's up and down the park and will make himself available for passes. In comparison to Stevenson who I feel is happy to hide at the moment.

Agreed, he's no superstar. He was brought in to give a bit of dig to a midfield that wasn't interested and had their minds elsewhere, that might not be needed this season so he may be excess to requirements.

I'd like to see Towell back, even if only as back up. He wasn't backward at getting forward (if you know what I mean) and while his inexperience may have given us the odd flutter in defence he was overall a reasonable player.

Vaz Te - little impact.

Divis - poor.

Summer

O'Connor - good.

Little impact so far. We know what he is capable of though and very few on here were disappointed to see him sign. Probably not a CC target though so it's a bit unfair to judge him on whether Sproule can produce consistent performances

Agogo - looked okay too.

Airey - no idea yet.

In summary, most of his signings seem to be okay and have improved the squad. Not sure what your point is?

We all have different views Stevie on who's decent or who's poor, what we all know though is we lost again. Yet there's always a reason why, players not fit, the other is adjusting to life in the SPL.

The dutch league is different, international clearance seems to be the latest, along with the wife's just had a baby, or they are just kids.

My personal favorite is, its all Yogi's fault.

Me personally i'm fed up with excuses, i dont want to hear them anymore.:zzzzz!:

Andy74
15-08-2011, 12:38 PM

Vaz Te - little impact.

Divis - poor.

Summer

O'Connor - good.

Agogo - looked okay too.

Airey - no idea yet.

My point is they haven't improved the squad.

We've changed the manager, changed the squad, got rid of all the guys that got blamed for all sorts of things and here we are getting pumped by Kille, lost 7 of our last 9 or whatever it is now and having lost the last 3 or 4 games at home.

SneakersO'Toole
15-08-2011, 12:39 PM
CC's record at Hibs is atrocious but so is our record of bringing in new managers to rectify poor results/performances.

We need to break the habit and give CC time to have Hibs winning games again. Sacking him 10 games into a season will achieve nothing as has been proved when we have sacked previous appointments.

Lets see where we are come the end of the season and make a decision then.

Hibee87
15-08-2011, 12:42 PM
EVERYONE can see that Gaz is not lone striker and it showed badly yesterday.

the way they set up to ours was laughable sproule and wotherspoon did not track back and help atall leaving our full backs exposed to daiton and da silva time and time again. and they ripped us a new one time and time again. murray and stevenson were meant to be playing defensive mid but still seemed to be no where in sight when they pushed forward. also the fact that killie played the ball o nthe deck and passed us of the park compared to hoof's up to gaz.

when osbourne came on he looked a player made himself available for a pass in midfield and took the ball forward either by turning his man or with a nice pass, only problem after that was when passing up to gaz or agogo there first touches was about 10 foot back i nthe way it came and play broke down - showing we need a link between the defensive midfield and forwards somthing that im hopeing thornhill could come into but we will need to see. ideally i think a straight 4-4-2 with osbourne and prob palsson in the centre is the way forward. i would be tempted to try airey out on the left as spoony is useless there. always had high hopes for galbraith out left bbut so far he hasnt played that much and when he has hasnt made much of an impact.

i think its fair to say were still a CB, RB, LM and prob RM away from having a decent top 6 team. sproule being an impact player at best brought on to attack the opposition fullback when they are tireing.

I think the player our season could rest on again is sodje he seems the only one in the team with the ability to win in the air and hold the ball up.

SneakersO'Toole
15-08-2011, 12:42 PM

We've changed the manager, changed the squad, got rid of all the guys that got blamed for all sorts of things and here we are getting pumped by Kille, lost 7 of our last 9 or whatever it is now and having lost the last 3 or 4 games at home.

O'Hanlon has played 60mins of for us (friendlies exempt). Airey, Agogo and Osbourne less than that.

Those 4 players make up a third of the players signed by CC thus far so I fail to see how your point that they haven't improved squad holds any weight whatsoever.

HibsMax
15-08-2011, 12:48 PM

I want him, and any other manager, an opportunity to build their own team and be judged on that quality of THAT team. Now we are there but we're only 3 games into the season.

ackeygraham
15-08-2011, 12:50 PM

I concur....lets see what St Mirren brings...it shows that we should have picked up on the momentum of ICT with a home game and not a friendly.....

R'Albin
15-08-2011, 12:50 PM
I don't think we should be analysing the season after every single game. Forget last season's results, it was a different team. This season has started off pretty badly but better than some people thought e.g., those predicting 1 point from the first 3 games. CC has new players in so all responsibility lies with him. Nobody else. Let's give the team a chance to bond and see where things are. If I had to impose a time frame, I would say let's see where things are once we've at least played every team in the league. We have some very new players and some who are coming back from injury. I expect big things from this team but not immediately (quicker would be a bonus).

If we get to Christmas and we are languishing in the nether regions of the SPL with no sign of improvement then I will re-asses then.

HibsMax
15-08-2011, 12:51 PM
Okay, but why have we suddenly decided that CC will be allowed all the time in the world when others have been hounded out for less?.

I see your point and I have no answer for you. I don't know why we're sticking with CC as opposed to any of the previous managers - you might want to argue that we did stick with JH.

I do think we have to stick with one guy for a certain period of time. We could give him 3 matches or we could give him 3 seasons. Neither of those is the right option in my opinion so the answer, as far as I'm concerned, lies between those two points - probably a season.

HibsMax
15-08-2011, 12:54 PM
We all have different views Stevie on who's decent or who's poor, what we all know though is we lost again. Yet there's always a reason why, players not fit, the other is adjusting to life in the SPL.

The dutch league is different, international clearance seems to be the latest, along with the wife's just had a baby, or they are just kids.

Me personally i'm fed up with excuses, i dont want to hear them anymore.:zzzzz!:

You'll never have to hear that excuse any more.

StevieC
15-08-2011, 12:55 PM

I still thank that Yogi played a huge part in where we are today (which is pretty much having to start again from scratch), although I'd prefer to put that behind us and concentrate on the present.

If we forget about the past, the excuses, the stats, and imagine that we are starting afresh as from the Celtic game .. are things really that bad?

I tend to feel that we (as Hibs supporters) think we should be doing much better than we actually are, and I wonder whether that sort of mentality is half the problem?
A bit like the Aberdeen supporters that still live in the 80's. :wink:

HibsMax
15-08-2011, 12:59 PM

As I said before, we shouldn't analyse the team after every single game. The Red Sox started this season by losing 9 in a row. Where are they now? Top of the AL East and the 2nd best record in the league. Let's give the players a little more time to see if they gel. This is not just another excuse, it's the reality of situation. If the players don't come good, after being given a reasonable amount of time, then things will need to be looked at again.

I don't blindly support anyone and as deep as my head might be in the sand I think I have realistic expectations.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 01:13 PM
I still thank that Yogi played a huge part in where we are today (which is pretty much having to start again from scratch), although I'd prefer to put that behind us and concentrate on the present.

If we forget about the past, the excuses, the stats, and imagine that we are starting afresh as from the Celtic game .. are things really that bad?

I tend to feel that we (as Hibs supporters) think we should be doing much better than we actually are, and I wonder whether that sort of mentality is half the problem?
A bit like the Aberdeen supporters that still live in the 80's. :wink:

I tend to feel us Hibbys cant enjoy it when we do have any success, we dont qualify for europe very often. We certainly dont finish in the top 4 very much, yet that was not good enough 2 seasons ago for some. Yet when we are getting pumped 4-1 at Killie, some of those same people are suddenly very quiet, and wanting time?

We have some strange fans imo? I think the reason a lot of us think we should be doing better than we are, and should be at least fighting for 4th place at least, is what we hear coming out of the club.

They keep telling us they spend a penny less than they take in, they keep telling us money is there to be spent. The training grounds fantastic, the stadium is finished, everything is geared up to put a winning side on the park, yet here we are again getting stuffed from a team with less than half our income, not narrowly beaten but stuffed out of sight.

StevieC
15-08-2011, 01:17 PM

FFS, some have played less than 90 minutes!!

:rolleyes:

Dashing Bob S
15-08-2011, 01:23 PM
On that showing Calderwood's Hibs are not just bad team they are also an exceptionally dull one. I would be loathe to judge them on one bad performance but if we're not in the top six by Christmas, it obviously isn't working out.

Speedway
15-08-2011, 01:36 PM
I tend to feel us Hibbys cant enjoy it when we do have any success, we dont qualify for europe very often. We certainly dont finish in the top 4 very much, yet that was not good enough 2 seasons ago for some. Yet when we are getting pumped 4-1 at Killie, some of those same people are suddenly very quiet, and wanting time?

We have some strange fans imo? I think the reason a lot of us think we should be doing better than we are, and should be at least fighting for 4th place at least, is what we hear coming out of the club.

They keep telling us they spend a penny less than they take in, they keep telling us money is there to be spent. The training grounds fantastic, the stadium is finished, everything is geared up to put a winning side on the park, yet here we are again getting stuffed from a team with less than half our income, not narrowly beaten but stuffed out of sight.[/QUOTE]

Let's reverse that. How often do we stuff out of sight, teams with completed stadia, better training facilities and double our income? Almost never. Interesting.

[QUOTE=Dashing Bob S;2887334]On that showing Calderwood's Hibs are not just bad team they are also an exceptionally dull one. I would be loathe to judge them on one bad performance but if we're not in the top six by Christmas, it obviously isn't working out.

I think he should get to play everyone home and away, so 22 games and if he's not won more than he's lost, we should review his position.

blackpoolhibs
15-08-2011, 01:44 PM

They keep telling us they spend a penny less than they take in, they keep telling us money is there to be spent. The training grounds fantastic, the stadium is finished, everything is geared up to put a winning side on the park, yet here we are again getting stuffed from a team with less than half our income, not narrowly beaten but stuffed out of sight.

Let's reverse that. How often do we stuff out of sight, teams with completed stadia, better training facilities and double our income? Almost never. Interesting.

I think he should get to play everyone home and away, so 22 games and if he's not won more than he's lost, we should review his position.

We rarely stuff anyone, Hamilton if my memory is right 5-1, yet we get a few dull ones regularly.

Andy74
15-08-2011, 02:29 PM
O'Hanlon has played 60mins of for us (friendlies exempt). Airey, Agogo and Osbourne less than that.

Those 4 players make up a third of the players signed by CC thus far so I fail to see how your point that they haven't improved squad holds any weight whatsoever.

People are saying that those players have improved the squad though.

How's that? We won't know on those players until they play some games. Most other players that have been signed so far have not improved the squad, as evidenced by our results so overall I can say that the squad, so far, has not improved.

Andy74
15-08-2011, 02:38 PM
[QUOTE=Speedway;2887336]

We rarely stuff anyone, Hamilton if my memory is right 5-1, yet we get a few dull ones regularly.

Under CC we've lost four goals three times and three goals four times.

We've scored three ourselves once, and that was with Rankin, Miller and Dickoh scoring wasn't it? Signed by a couple of idiots.

The previous chap, who is to be blame for this mess, had us scoring three seven times, five twice and six once.

We also lost six once, five once and three five times.

All over about twenty more games but taken overall we were plus two under Hughes and minus twenty under Calderwood.

So yes, our share of taking dull ones has overtaken our occassions in giving them out, by some way.

BEEJ
15-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Under CC we've lost four goals three times and three goals four times.

We've scored three ourselves once, and that was with Rankin, Miller and Dickoh scoring wasn't it? Signed by a couple of idiots.

The previous chap, who is to be blame for this mess, had us scoring three seven times, five twice and six once.

We also lost six once, five once and three five times.

All over about twenty more games but taken overall we were plus two under Hughes and minus twenty under Calderwood.

So yes, our share of taking dull ones has overtaken our occassions in giving them out, by some way.
When CC is finally chased from Easter Road, once your cheering and celebration has subsided, who would you put in the Manager's seat? And how long would you give him before he gets similar treatment?

Westie1875
15-08-2011, 09:07 PM
When CC is finally chased from Easter Road, once your cheering and celebration has subsided, who would you put in the Manager's seat? And how long would you give him before he gets similar treatment?

I think we all know the answer to that question is Yogi :devil:

HibsMax
15-08-2011, 09:15 PM

Not trying to make excuses for yesterday's result but the rebuilding of the team has only just started (January of this year). We've played 3 games in the SPL so far this season, surely the team deserves a little more time than that?

Now that the off-field projects are done, the team should be priority number 1. Let's see what happens while not expecting miracles overnight.

sunshine1875
15-08-2011, 09:25 PM
Not trying to make excuses for yesterday's result but the rebuilding of the team has only just started (January of this year). We've played 3 games in the SPL so far this season, surely the team deserves a little more time than that?

Now that the off-field projects are done, the team should be priority number 1. Let's see what happens while not expecting miracles overnight.

In the last fifty-six SPL games, we have had fourteen wins, nine draws and thirty-three losses. My patience has gone!

We are a shambles!

greenlex
15-08-2011, 09:30 PM

Calderwood has a track record of doing it at a level as high if not higher than the SPL. In other words he has what it takes to be successful.
We need stability badly and we need to grow the club from where we are. Hughes was never going to do that. Mixu wasnt going to do that. Collins might have done it. Mowbray might have done it.
Would you be happier if we gave him half a dozen games and then got rid of him for someone else would it make you feel better?

matty_f
15-08-2011, 09:35 PM
Calderwood has a track record of doing it at a level as high if not higher than the SPL. We need stability badly and we need to grow the club from where we are. Hughes was never going to do that. Mixu wasnt going to do that. Collins might have done it. Mowbray might have done it.
Would you be happier if we gave him half a dozen games and then got rid of him for someone else would it make you feel better?

We need to stick it out with Calderwood, IMHO. I'm not impressed at all with his record, in fact it's almost indefensible. Had it not been for the fact that he hasn't yet had his signings available and match fit up til now, and that it looks like he's still trying to bring players to the club, it would be hard to make a case for his defense at all.

However, we suffer from a lack of an appropriate culture at Easter Road, there are no ingrained ideals, methods, or standards IMHO. These need stability in the management staff and stability to an extent in the playing staff. Changing the manager again puts us back at square one.

Andy74
16-08-2011, 08:26 AM
Calderwood has a track record of doing it at a level as high if not higher than the SPL. In other words he has what it takes to be successful.
We need stability badly and we need to grow the club from where we are. Hughes was never going to do that. Mixu wasnt going to do that. Collins might have done it. Mowbray might have done it.

It would make me feel better, yes.

He has a worse record than Hughes, did it make you feel better when he left?

A bit rich everyone who hounded Hughes out after a few months of bad form now advocating we give people time! How long, how many new players, and how many bad results do you wait for?

Andy74
16-08-2011, 08:31 AM

Don't know, when your cheering and celebration had subsided after Hughes left, did you have a target in mind? Was it Calderwood?

Fascinating that it was okay to want Hughes to be removed but no-one else is allowed to want the current guy out after a longer bad record?

bingo70
16-08-2011, 08:32 AM
It would make me feel better, yes.

He has a worse record than Hughes, did it make you feel better when he left?

A bit rich everyone who hounded Hughes out after a few months of bad form now advocating we give people time! How long, how many new players, and how many bad results do you wait for?

Maybe you've banged that drum for so long people now agree with you and realise we need to give our manager time to succeed.

Other than you think it was harsh for Yogi to be hounded out i'm struggling to see what your point is with CC, you think it was harsh for yogi to be punted but you want to do the same with CC and you're having a go at fans for supporting CC in exactly the same way you think we should have supported Yogi?

RIP
16-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Personally - I think responsibility for the problems at Hibs can be shared equally by a board who know jack all about building a successful team and a bunch of messageboard fans who for the most part are equally inept. :devil:

Not one of our last four managers has or had been in situ long enough to replace the squad that was sold. A combination of poor leadership at the top and fans constantly clamouring for more and more signings has ensured that the player revolving door continues unabated. Every new signing is the answer to our prayers and 'better than what we have' until they have a bad or quiet game, whereupon they are immediately dismissed as a huddie and not Hibs Class. Who would want to play for a club with 'supporters' like us?

Only this season, with Lyndsay taking over from Rod as Football Director have we seen any shred of a longer term strategy of youth development (A Stevenson?/Academy+Pallson&Airey?) supplemented with experienced pros (Sodje, Agogo, Sproule, O'Connor). There cannot be another club in the SPL that has turned over so many managers and players in so short a time and surely, sooner or later, the penny must drop with us that a constant team/manager merrygo-round is the biggest single CAUSE of our failure to build a successful side worth watching on a Saturday.

Our SPL rivals have spent the last few seasons building teams and formations that run with the ball, have pace, reintroduced wingers and most importantly aspire to provide entertaining football. For the past few seasons all we have seen at Hibs (Stokesy period apart) has been back to front hoofball and a complete dearth of excitement or goalscoring opportunities. We have completeley failed to recruit a single midfielder worthy of the name.

Personally I'd happily settle for a better season than last, couple of places improvement and a settled squad / playing style in the first 6 months of 2012. We will then have a platform to kick on into the top six in 2012/2013.

greenlex
16-08-2011, 10:03 AM
Personally I'd happily settle for a better season than last, couple of places improvement and a settled squad / playing style in the first 6 months of 2012. We will then have a platform to kick on into the top six in 2012/2013.
Me too 325 but it will never catch on.
one wee problem with the settled squad theory is that there are quite a few of them out of contract at the end of the season. I understand the reasons for it but if we dont get the successful ones on longer contracts before the end it might work against us.

smurf
16-08-2011, 10:56 AM
With his record I think to want CC out is a perfectly understandable opinion to have. It would be ridiculous and illfounded to suggest it was a fickle opinion without justification. Because pretty much all the evidence based on actual results and performances suggests not.

However, I also feel its can't really be debated against that he did inherit a shambles. (A shambles that others too are responsible for not just Hughes btw)

CC has now had (almost) two windows where he has through players contracts finishing been able to almost completely turnaround the entire squad. As a football manager he has been given a fantastic opportunity.

The evidence of his progress and end result of his reconstruction on Sunday - against a side pretty much put together in the past few weeks on a much smaller budget than his - is not encouraging....

However, I really do feel we must see the board continue to back their man (they appointed him and fought to retain him) in the remainder of this window. The board can't afford for CC to fail.

And frankly neither can we. We have to all hope the new side 'bed in' quickly and start producing results.

Should it not happen quickly then there can be no other conclusion than contrary to CC's quoted opinion he actually isn't at all a very good football manager.

But let's hold fire and back CC and the team and see where we are in September/October.

Dashing Bob S
16-08-2011, 11:02 AM
With his record I think to want CC out is a perfectly understandable opinion to have. It would be ridiculous and illfounded to suggest it was a fickle opinion without justification. Because pretty much all the evidence based on actual results and performances suggests not.

However, I also feel its can't really be debated against that he did inherit a shambles. (A shambles that others too are responsible for not just Hughes btw)

CC has now had (almost) two windows where he has through players contracts finishing been able to almost completely turnaround the entire squad. As a football manager he has been given a fantastic opportunity.

The evidence of his progress and end result of his reconstruction on Sunday - against a side pretty much put together in the past few weeks on a much smaller budget than his - is not encouraging....

However, I really do feel we must see the board continue to back their man (they appointed him and fought to retain him) in the remainder of this window. The board can't afford for CC to fail.

And frankly neither can we. We have to all hope the new side 'bed in' quickly and start producing results.

Should it not happen quickly then there can be no other conclusion than contrary to CC's quoted opinion he actually isn't at all a very good football manager.

But let's hold fire and back CC and the team and see where we are in September/October.

I think that's a pretty fair assessment.

My worry is that CC is the kind of guy that gets kept around through being liked rather than being good. We've had more than enough players like that.

JimBHibees
16-08-2011, 11:07 AM

No doubt his record is very poor however I think there is some appreciation that he was taking over an incredibly difficult situation with a swathe of players leaving in the summer and the team in apparent freefall when he took over. RP's comment about Yogi would to me suggest that there were real issues behind the scenes with the playing side. CC has kept us up due to a mini 5 or 6 game revival however we ended the season poorly. The choice for the club is whether to ditch him or support him in building his own team in a reasonable timeframe. The club obviously think that this isnt a short term fix and that they see enough of what is going on in terms of foundation building to think that CC is heading in the right direction. We arent as yet at the eond of the transfer window however to me some of the signings have looked of a decent pedigree especially Osbourne, Garry O and Airey. Now that the club have made it clear they are supporting the manager in his rebuilding it would IMO be nonsense to ditch him halfway through this rebuilding.

He has experience at an equivalent and higher level and appears to have the respect of the players and is a good coach. The proof will be in the pudding if this is the right decision however personally think it is the right approach at this time. If we are at Xmas and we are still getting turned over regularly and his new players are struggling then he may have to go. Personally think that it is vital that the support dont knee jerk and hound the guy out before he has time to at least get all his players in.

basehibby
16-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Don't know, when your cheering and celebration had subsided after Hughes left, did you have a target in mind? Was it Calderwood?

Fascinating that it was okay to want Hughes to be removed but no-one else is allowed to want the current guy out after a longer bad record?

Jeez man you are like a broken record - Hughes is away - get over it FFS!

BTW - it's also fascinating that having given Hughes every chance (as I did - nothing wrong with that) you now seem incapable of doing the same for his successor :confused:

Andy74
16-08-2011, 11:40 AM

BTW - it's also fascinating that having given Hughes every chance (as I did - nothing wrong with that) you now seem incapable of doing the same for his successor :confused:

I think its perfectly fair, given the timescales afforded previous managers, to compare this to the current one.

To answer the last bit Hughes took a team that had been bumping along around sixth place for a few seasons and immediately, within one transfer window, took us on a great 7 month run. This was followed by 3 months or so of bad form at the end of the year.

At this stage the vast majority on here wanted him out. 3 months. There were also vindicating factors, key players injured, East Stand getting ripped out and the change of atmosphere at home, the worst pitches for some time against the way we were trying to play.

Of course the next season apart from a great away result at Motherwell, started poorly resuklts wise but I think other than the St Mirren and St Johnstone games we were playing okay and creating but missing chances.

Given the excellent 7 months I at least had something to point to in terms of previous capabilities at the club and at least we were creating chances.

For CC, well, we had 4 months or so of terrible results, 1 month or a bit longer of great results and then another 2 months of awful results against bottom six teams, not top six as with the end of the previous year.

This year? Not looking like much has changed.

I've given all the stas earlier, they are attrocious in terms of win percentages, goals scored, golas against, style of play is awful.

I think I am far more justitifed in my current complaints than those were when I was arguing against them on Hughes' record.

Still, all those now seem to have changed their stance to one of giving people time and allowing all sorts of excuses to be considered.

If he'd shown much to back up all this support or I enjoyed going to see his teams regardless I'd be there defending him too.

IWasThere2016
16-08-2011, 11:57 AM
I think I am far more justitifed in my current complaints than those were when I was arguing against them on Hughes' record.

Really .. I hadnae noticed :wink: :greengrin

Gatecrasher
16-08-2011, 12:02 PM
I think the futures bright, ok, we got humped at the weekend but i think it would be naive to think thats going to be a trend for the season. I think Ozzy will bring a bit of steel to the Midfield and both Sodje and Agogo will help out Big Gax up front, Its a young back 4 and while that will sometimes hinder us it will also benefit us in the future with the likes of Hanlon and Booth coming good over the last year.

i think CC was reluctant to change the side that got us the 3 points in Inverness and we paid for it, I think we will see on Saturday a team a bit closer to CC's liking. It will be interesting to see how it all fits into place :agree:

Please bring in a RB :aok:

Sammy7nil
16-08-2011, 12:06 PM
Speaking to mates and it appears from top to bottom at Hibs we are happy to accept mediocre performances. Players do not appear to have a winning mentality and I am not talking about this team I am talking about teams over the last 40 odd years.

Even the Sauzee/Latapy team fell away after Christmas, last year we got 1 point out of a possible 21at the end of the season. Why were the Board, Manager, Players or Fans not demanding to know why? Simply because at Hibs it is acceptable?

John Collins tried to change the mindset of the players but they did not like it and rebelled, did the Board back the manager ? NO, Why?

We are knocked out of cups by Ross County and Ayr do things change? No

Our Derby record is laughable, have competed well in derbies in the last 40 years again the answer is No other than a few notable exceptions.

Why do All at Hibs accept this year after year, manager after manager

It baffles me and I think something must be wrong right at the root of our club.

StevieC
16-08-2011, 12:08 PM
For CC, well, we had 4 months or so of terrible results, 1 month or a bit longer of great results and then another 2 months of awful results against bottom six teams, not top six as with the end of the previous year.

This year? Not looking like much has changed.

Okay, let's look at it from a different perspective.

For 5 months we had a squad of players that did really well. For the next 7 months (under Hughes) they were terrible and we dropped right down the league. For the next 7 months (under Calderwood) they were still rank rotten, with the exception of a month or so after January.

That squad of players is pretty much gone now and we are just 3 games into the season with one good away win and one poor away defeat.

If you don't think that anything has changed then I can only assume that CC has done something to seriously offend you for you to be so blinkered and harbour so much hatred.

ahibby
16-08-2011, 12:09 PM
Mediocrity or inexperience? Also time and time again when managers are away during a week their team under performs on the Saturday (maybe not our excuse this time, but the Dundee Utd fans have been complaining about their manager being missing and poor performances follow always).

Sammy7nil
16-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Mediocrity or inexperience? Also time and time again when managers are away during a week their team under performs on the Saturday (maybe not our excuse this time, but the Dundee Utd fans have been complaining about their manager being missing and poor performances follow always).

It is not inexperience Latapy / Suaze team and many other experienced teams simply fall away after Christmas it appears acceptable.

Sammy7nil
16-08-2011, 12:18 PM

For 5 months we had a squad of players that did really well. For the next 7 months (under Hughes) they were terrible and we dropped right down the league. For the next 7 months (under Calderwood) they were still rank rotten, with the exception of a month or so after January.

That squad of players is pretty much gone now and we are just 3 games into the season with one good away win and one poor away defeat.

If you don't think that anything has changed then I can only assume that CC has done something to seriously offend you for you to be so blinkered and harbour so much hatred.

Stevie nothing appears to have changed.
If we had gone to Caley and played well knocked the ball about and looked the better team then that would have been a positive. As it was we did okay but rode our luck on several occasions before snatching a winner on the break.
Against Celtic we did not have ONE effort at goal (we were at home)
Against Killie we were Royally Horsed

It is difficult to find positives other than we won at Caley

Elephant Stone
16-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Speaking to mates and it appears from top to bottom at Hibs we are happy to accept mediocre performances. Players do not appear to have a winning mentality and I am not talking about this team I am talking about teams over the last 40 odd years.

Even the Sauzee/Latapy team fell away after Christmas, last year we got 1 point out of a possible 21at the end of the season. Why were the Board, Manager, Players or Fans not demanding to know why? Simply because at Hibs it is acceptable?

John Collins tried to change the mindset of the players but they did not like it and rebelled, did the Board back the manager ? NO, Why?

Our Derby record is laughable, have competed well in derbies in the last 40 years again the answer is No other than a few notable exceptions.

It baffles me and I think something must be wrong right at the root of our club.

If you got the letter from the board at the beginning of the season you'll see that they acknowledged unreservedly that last season was a shambles. I think it's fair to say that most people on this forum were pretty furious, too. I don't think it's fair to say that we're accepting mediocrity at all, people are angry. Should it be taken further? Maybe, but it's not being ignored like you're suggesting.

Cropley10
Personally - I think responsibility for the problems at Hibs can be shared equally by a board who know jack all about building a successful team and a bunch of messageboard fans who for the most part are equally inept. :devil:

Not one of our last four managers has or had been in situ long enough to replace the squad that was sold. A combination of poor leadership at the top and fans constantly clamouring for more and more signings has ensured that the player revolving door continues unabated. Every new signing is the answer to our prayers and 'better than what we have' until they have a bad or quiet game, whereupon they are immediately dismissed as a huddie and not Hibs Class. Who would want to play for a club with 'supporters' like us?

Only this season, with Lyndsay taking over from Rod as Football Director have we seen any shred of a longer term strategy of youth development (A Stevenson?/Academy+Pallson&Airey?) supplemented with experienced pros (Sodje, Agogo, Sproule, O'Connor). There cannot be another club in the SPL that has turned over so many managers and players in so short a time and surely, sooner or later, the penny must drop with us that a constant team/manager merrygo-round is the biggest single CAUSE of our failure to build a successful side worth watching on a Saturday.

Our SPL rivals have spent the last few seasons building teams and formations that run with the ball, have pace, reintroduced wingers and most importantly aspire to provide entertaining football. For the past few seasons all we have seen at Hibs (Stokesy period apart) has been back to front hoofball and a complete dearth of excitement or goalscoring opportunities. We have completeley failed to recruit a single midfielder worthy of the name.

The focus on youth development is interesting, I might be completely wrong here but are there many successful teams who feature a complete back 4 who are U21?

We have also added to this strategy by playing more players who are Hibs fans as I understand it, and on Saturday we had Lewis Gaz Ivan Ian Booth and Paul H. I think we might need to review this as passion needs to be exceeded by ability based on Sunday past.

ahibby

It is not inexperience Latapy / Suaze team and many other experienced teams simply fall away after Christmas it appears acceptable.

But that team still finished third in the SPL and got to a SC final. Which shows that all the other teams that season also fell away after Christmas. I'm not disagreeing with you but I thought you were talking about now and not after Christmas. I've always thought it strange that clubs can blame rustiness for poor games at the start of the season, then blame the weather in the middle of the season and then blame tiredness at the end of the season. At that rate all we ever should expect from clubs is mediocrity, or less. Over the season Hibs can blame bringing players in too late (after pre - season) for a poor start and then towards the end they can blame poor results on players leaving in January and those leaving in June not giving a sh** about results. Basically clubs always have reasons for mediocrity if we look deep enough.

StevieC
16-08-2011, 12:26 PM
Stevie nothing appears to have changed.

Last season ...
we beat Celtc at Easter Road "0" times
we beat Killie away "0" times
we beat Inverness away "0" times

This season we have beaten Inverness away "1" times, so it looks like something has changed ..

.. and we've still got 3 games to improve on it even further. :wink:

It is difficult to find positives other than we won at Caley

I think you just found one. :wink:

IWasThere2016
16-08-2011, 12:28 PM

Replaced his beloved Yogi ..

Sammy7nil
16-08-2011, 12:34 PM
But that team still finished third in the SPL and got to a SC final. Which shows that all the other teams that season also fell away after Christmas. I'm not disagreeing with you but I thought you were talking about now and not after Christmas. I've always thought it strange that clubs can blame rustiness for poor games at the start of the season, then blame the weather in the middle of the season and then blame tiredness at the end of the season. At that rate all we ever should expect from clubs is mediocrity, or less. Over the season Hibs can blame bringing players in too late (after pre - season) for a poor start and then towards the end they can blame poor results on players leaving in January and those leaving in June not giving a sh** about results. Basically clubs always have reasons for mediocrity if we look deep enough.

That is true but why does it happen year after year at Hibs despite our larger budget than most.
Why have Hearts out muscled us for YEARS in the derby often we had by far the better team.
Why even when we are playing well do we fade towards the end of the season can you ever recall having a storming end to the season?

BEEJ
16-08-2011, 12:45 PM

What you don't see is the fundamental contradiction in your own argument.

When you're challenged about simply being a massive Hughes fan, you protest loudly that you're making the much more significant point about how long we give our managers at ER before ousting them. Yet ironically your posts (literally every one of them of late) is advocating that the club's supporters call for CC's head.

Maybe you've banged that drum for so long people now agree with you and realise we need to give our manager time to succeed.

Other than you think it was harsh for Yogi to be hounded out i'm struggling to see what your point is with CC, you think it was harsh for yogi to be punted but you want to do the same with CC and you're having a go at fans for supporting CC in exactly the same way you think we should have supported Yogi?

Despite all Andy 74's denials to the contrary, this is less and less an argument about principle and increasingly one about personality.

:agree:

down the slope
16-08-2011, 12:59 PM

Watch out or you will be told that you have crawled out from under a rock/usual suspects/ yam !. you have said exactly what is wrong at ER and the only explanation for it is that the powers that be don't know how to change it . I have had a go about this for years and i suspect that it will continue for years unless we have have a root and branch clear out at the top at ER , the only time we have had a team that matched my expectations was under Turnbull and Tom Hart , both had a passion for Hibs which took us to being one of the best sides in Europe and look at us now ?. What we see at the moment on the footballing side is a display of staggering incompetence from a Feifdom more interested in protecting their own little empire than giving us a team we deserve.

basehibby
16-08-2011, 01:42 PM
That is true but why does it happen year after year at Hibs despite our larger budget than most.
Why have Hearts out muscled us for YEARS in the derby often we had by far the better team.
Why even when we are playing well do we fade towards the end of the season can you ever recall having a storming end to the season?

:agree: This almost perpetual mediocrity is something which has dismayed me as long as I can remember.

Over the last decade or so we could at least invest belief in the idea that we have been building for the future while others piss their family silver up the wall in pursuit of fast thrills - but even still it is bloody hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel at times - particularly over the last year or so given the relegation form which has been the norm.

I'm heartilly sick of approaching derbies with a feeling of trepidation rather than excitement and even sicker of seeing teams of half hearted imposters switch off half way through the season rather than fight through to the end and so give us our money's worth as well as half a hope of reaching our holy grail.

Many good Hibs fans have lived and died without seeing their team lift the Scottish Cup - I dearly hope that I will actually live to see the day when we will see the fruits of our labours in a successful and stable team on the park rather than one in a perpetual state of transition.

The Falcon
16-08-2011, 02:00 PM

Why do folk always trot this out when it's utter rubbish? In what way did the board (by which you mean Petrie) not back JC STB?

mcvie7
16-08-2011, 02:26 PM
In your opinion.

In mine he isn't, he is honest enough to tell us he is building a team and there will be some bumps along the way. He appears to have the respect of the players which is crucial on days like today, and we also have what could be 4/5 first picks to come into the team (O'Hanlon, Agogo, Airey, Sodje, Osbourne) and they will improve it.

​you cant play 4 strikers at once though .

Andy74
16-08-2011, 02:27 PM
What you don't see is the fundamental contradiction in your own argument.

When you're challenged about simply being a massive Hughes fan, you protest loudly that you're making the much more significant point about how long we give our managers at ER before ousting them. Yet ironically your posts (literally every one of them of late) is advocating that the club's supporters call for CC's head.

Despite all Andy 74's denials to the contrary, this is less and less an argument about principle and increasingly one about personality.

:agree:

Actually, you are making my point, this is entirely about personality.

For whatever reason people didn't take to Hughes. When you see his record against CC's record and what he achieved before having a bad spell people couldn't wait to get stuck in.

Now we have a long list of excuses and a complete about turn by most people who now advocate giving this guy an endless amount of time and signings to turn things around.

I advocated time this time last year, based on the fact the guy in charge had already taken us to a productive 7 month spell and seeing that we were still at least creating things but that we still obviously required some rebuilding.

I can't really advocate time for someone who in a whole year has produced about a month of good results, has signed a whole team now and seems to have got nowhere in making us a more entertaining team to watch.

I've seen the likes of Livingston, Falkirk, Inverness and Kilmarnock pass us off the park in recent weeks and yes, the new players again might come in and transform us bt hey, the likes of De Graaf, Grounds etc were written off in a couple of appearances last year so we'll see how they go in a few weeks.

It can't though, a year later and twelve signings later all come down to another three new guys transforming the way we play can it?

so yes, I'm advocating now that this guy doesn't get any more time, that's on the back off a quite extraordinairly bad win percentage and goal difference ratio so i think it is justified.

Quite how everyone has now gone the opposite way from last year though is interesting. My about turn is on the back off way worse statistics.

I'm still wating to hear, apart from the fact he's not John Hughes, quite what it is that is making people back CC.

It may be a little like Hearts fans with Vlad, now they have him and they asked for it, they can't quite change now and admit the whole thing was a bad idea.

Andy74
16-08-2011, 02:41 PM

August to mid February was nearer 7 months of good results.

Mid Feb to mid May was 3 months and at the end of that we actually picked up a bit performance wise and near in mind we were playing top six teams.

Start of last season again mixed, a good result v Motherwell, unlucky v Rangers and certainly didn't deserve 3-0 and home games were we missed penalties and open goals to draw against Inverness and Hamilton.

St mirren and St Johnstone away were both poor to be fair.

We went from that to losing against these bottom six sides, at home. After players were signed. So I certainly don't buy that the team we hasd were sinking and CC couldn't do anything about it. You sack the manager to get someone better who can manage those players. It didn't work.

Looking at it I can only assume that Hughes did something much worse personally to a whole lot of people and that CC must have pics of you all doing something dodgy!

basehibby
16-08-2011, 03:10 PM

For whatever reason people didn't take to Hughes. When you see his record against CC's record and what he achieved before having a bad spell people couldn't wait to get stuck in.

Now we have a long list of excuses and a complete about turn by most people who now advocate giving this guy an endless amount of time and signings to turn things around.

I advocated time this time last year, based on the fact the guy in charge had already taken us to a productive 7 month spell and seeing that we were still at least creating things but that we still obviously required some rebuilding.

I can't really advocate time for someone who in a whole year has produced about a month of good results, has signed a whole team now and seems to have got nowhere in making us a more entertaining team to watch.

I've seen the likes of Livingston, Falkirk, Inverness and Kilmarnock pass us off the park in recent weeks and yes, the new players again might come in and transform us bt hey, the likes of De Graaf, Grounds etc were written off in a couple of appearances last year so we'll see how they go in a few weeks.

It can't though, a year later and twelve signings later all come down to another three new guys transforming the way we play can it?

so yes, I'm advocating now that this guy doesn't get any more time, that's on the back off a quite extraordinairly bad win percentage and goal difference ratio so i think it is justified.

Quite how everyone has now gone the opposite way from last year though is interesting. My about turn is on the back off way worse statistics.

I'm still wating to hear, apart from the fact he's not John Hughes, quite what it is that is making people back CC.

It may be a little like Hearts fans with Vlad, now they have him and they asked for it, they can't quite change now and admit the whole thing was a bad idea.

I DID back Hughes all along although I found it hard to argue against him being given his jotters when the time eventually came. He DID have a very good spell in the first half of last season which got us into Europe, but he followed that with the WORST sequence of results in the club's history! I still felt he deserved a chance to turn things round having got us 4th place, but, following a whimpering exit from Europe and a subsequent series of flacid performances he was given the heave-ho, leaving behind a demoralised set of players on a continuing downward spiral.

Having taken over that situation, Calderwood has not exactly covered himself in glory but he did manage to produce the run of results needed to steer us away from relegation trouble and has so far shown himself to have a pretty good eye for a player. On the whole Calderwood still has it all to prove at Hibs, but IMO it is very much in the interests of the club to allow him the chance to prove it.

A number of fans have taken a cynical stance towards Calderwood following his non-commital bags of sweeties nonsense over the summer and this I can understand even if I don't wholy agree - what I cannot understand is your one man campaign to have Calderwood sacked which seems to be more motivated by a love lorn longing for the previous incumbent than any meaningful analysis of the current situation, which leads me to ask - are you by any chance Yogi's love child???

Andy74
16-08-2011, 03:36 PM
I DID back Hughes all along although I found it hard to argue against him being given his jotters when the time eventually came. He DID have a very good spell in the first half of last season which got us into Europe, but he followed that with the WORST sequence of results in the club's history! I still felt he deserved a chance to turn things round having got us 4th place, but, following a whimpering exit from Europe and a subsequent series of flacid performances he was given the heave-ho, leaving behind a demoralised set of players on a continuing downward spiral.

Having taken over that situation, Calderwood has not exactly covered himself in glory but he did manage to produce the run of results needed to steer us away from relegation trouble and has so far shown himself to have a pretty good eye for a player. On the whole Calderwood still has it all to prove at Hibs, but IMO it is very much in the interests of the club to allow him the chance to prove it.

A number of fans have taken a cynical stance towards Calderwood following his non-commital bags of sweeties nonsense over the summer and this I can understand even if I don't wholy agree - what I cannot understand is your one man campaign to have Calderwood sacked which seems to be more motivated by a love lorn longing for the previous incumbent than any meaningful analysis of the current situation, which leads me to ask - are you by any chance Yogi's love child???

Was this meaningful enough analysis?

From Hughes's 52 games we Won 19 Drew 12 Lost 21

Hughes's Win Percentage was 36.5% Loss Percentage 40.4%

From Calderwood's 33 games we have Won 9 Drawn 6 Lost 18

Calderwood's Win Percentage is 27.3% Loss Percentage 54.5%

Hughes's teams scored 80 goals and lost 78

Goals Scored 1.5 per game Goals Lost 1.5 per game

Calderwood's teams scored 32 goals and lost 52

Goals Scored 1 per game Goals Lost 1.6 per game

In terms of entertainment or otherwise under Hughes we scored six goals once, five goals twice and three goals seven times.

Calderwood's team has scored three goals once.

Hughes's teams lost six goals once, five once, four twice and three seven times over 52 games.

Calderwood has lost four goals three times and three goals four times over 33 games.

JimBHibees
16-08-2011, 03:45 PM

In terms of entertainment or otherwise under Hughes we scored six goals once, five goals twice and three goals seven times.

Hughes's teams lost six goals once, five once, four twice and three seven times over 52 games.

Calderwood has lost four goals three times and three goals four times over 33 games.

Yogi, let go your not getting your job back. :greengrin

Better try and get a new job or is no-one that impressed by the amazing job you did at Hibs.

Saorsa
16-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Better try and get a new job or is no-one that impressed by the amazing job you did at Hibs.:hilarious :thumbsup:

Andy74
16-08-2011, 03:51 PM

Better try and get a new job or is no-one that impressed by the amazing job you did at Hibs.

Yep, never fails to be hilarious that response. :agree:

RIP
16-08-2011, 03:51 PM
The focus on youth development is interesting, I might be completely wrong here but are there many successful teams who feature a complete back 4 who are U21?

We have also added to this strategy by playing more players who are Hibs fans as I understand it, and on Saturday we had Lewis Gaz Ivan Ian Booth and Paul H. I think we might need to review this as passion needs to be exceeded by ability based on Sunday past.

If CC has his way we will soon have a back 4 only 2 of whom are 21 or under.

I saw plenty passion at Rugby Park. What I also saw was a naive 8 up 2 back formation, poor tactics, the usual midgets in midfield and a shortage of strikers. We simply didn't have to personnel to make Colin's game plan workable. It was football hari-kari

With a more realistic formation the same players could have contained Killie. For me it wasn't a lack of individual ability that brought about our downfall - it was crap tactics by the manager

RIP
16-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Just out of interest when was the last Hibs manager that lasted 18 months?

Calderwood's had 7 months last season and a few weeks of this season

Never mind - Let's get another guy in who will bring in an entire team of new players. That's a foolproof way to build a successful team

The results speak for themselves ...........errr.............don't they?

basehibby
16-08-2011, 04:03 PM

Not a complete analysis unless you include the fact that the squad is in the middle of a complete rebuild with a couple of what should be key signings only just in the door and (hopefully) more to come. Calderwood still has it all to prove but I won't consider that he's had a chance to do so until he's got his team well and trully up and running. It would also be an absolute folly to sack a manger on the back of one poor result when he's only just recruited half a team of players. I said the same for Yogi and it all looked so good for a while - sadly it just wasn't to be - time to move on.

JimBHibees
16-08-2011, 04:50 PM
Yep, never fails to be hilarious that response. :agree:

True enough you are becoming borderline obsessive about Yogi though. :greengrin

BEEJ
16-08-2011, 07:01 PM
Glad to have been of assistance. :wink:

I've stated my stance on this before. Hughes had three transfer windows in which to buy and sell - during which he brought in 16 players.

In the first window he was successful, most notably by bringing Stokes to the club. By the third window it was clear he had run out of ideas and in hindsight it almost looks like he was purchasing players just to make up the numbers. I know you're still rooting for EDG to prove himself - largely because it was Hughes signed him amidst a great fanfare. But he has yet to deliver and Michael Hart is also (sadly) well passed his sell-by date.

These are two of the highest paid players in the club and between them they delivered very little in season 2010/11. Hughes had last summer's transfer window to turn around the fortunes of the club that he had led to a series of appalling results and performances from February 2010 onwards. Instead he blew much of his budget on two players who, due to injury, can no longer deliver to the level that they once could in their careers.

This is just part of Hughes 'legacy' that we heard about in RP's uncharacteristic outburst recently. The rest of that legacy has been much discussed on here before but, of course, like his results record it fades in the memory with the passing of time.

Given that Hughes had spent all that summer's budget on the likes of Trakys, Grounds, EdG and Hart, just what miracles were you expecting him to deliver in the January 2011 transfer window?

Fair enough. Your patience has run out. In another month or so if results haven't improved I suspect that it won't be long before the majority of supporters agree with you.

Can't speak for others. My view is that CC has had just two transfer windows and we need to see what he can do with the team that will be assembled by the end of August.

The set of results during CC's tenure has been woeful. From the next week or so onwards all the excuses available to him will have run out and he has to deliver notable improvement and results.

:no way: If you mean sacking Hughes was a bad idea, then you are sadly misguided.

Even if CC proves you right and goes on to be an utter disaster throughout his tenure as Manager, that STILL doesn't mean it was wrong to sack Yogi.

Your argument though, is that I and others on here state this kind of thing not because of Yogi's failings as a Manager, but because instead we have some deep-seated antipathy towards John Hughes as a person. I find this both bewildering and a bit insulting. Meanwhile you seem unable or unwilling to explain just where you think such an attitude would spring from.

I recall that you have previously argued that it was the supporters that were 100% responsible for Hughes departure. At least you have to recognise now that it doesn't seem like RP needed much convincing last September. As one of RP's greatest advocates in the past, that can't be easy for you. :coolhib:

sunshine1875
16-08-2011, 07:20 PM
Whether we blame Yogi or CC or A.N. Other, there is a constant theme to the last few years.

Appoint a manager with a lot to prove >>> sign players who are either not good enough or don't want to be here >>> failure to tackle the defence >>> team seen as soft touches >>> ever dwindling number of good young players coming through from the training centre >>> no leaders on the pitch >>> fans become restless >>> pressure applied to manager >>> manager leaves either voluntary or not >>> appoint a manager with a lot to prove >>> sign players who are either not good enough or don't want to be here >>> failure to tackle the defence >>> team seen as soft touches >>> ever dwindling number of good young players coming through from the training centre >>> no leaders on the pitch >>> fans become restless >>> pressure applied to manager >>> manager leaves either voluntary or not >>> appoint a manager with a lot to prove >>> sign players who are either not good enough or don't want to be here >>> failure to tackle the defence >>> team seen as soft touches >>> ever dwindling number of good young players coming through from the training centre >>> no leaders on the pitch >>> fans become restless >>> pressure applied to manager >>> manager leaves either voluntary or not

It has to stop sometime, doesn't it? What do you do with a problem called Hibernian Football Club?

Captain Trips
20-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Another bad day to add to this ever increasing list of bad days at office.

smurf
20-08-2011, 11:26 PM
Another bad day to add to this ever increasing list of bad days at office.

At least we are consistent...

I was shocked CC started with the same defence as last week.

Hard to defend at all.

matty_f
20-08-2011, 11:35 PM
At least we are consistent...

I was shocked CC started with the same defence as last week.

Hard to defend at all.

Sadly that's been the back four's mantra for the last few games.

Rabby
20-08-2011, 11:44 PM
Is it just me that thinks that osbourne looks a class act? sproule on the other hand is still as pacey as ever but his final delivery if anything has gotten worse :(