PDA

View Full Version : Who will win the EPL this season?

sunshine1875
13-08-2011, 07:51 AM
Really looking forward to the EPL season. Who do you think will win it?

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2011, 08:25 AM
This is a tough one to predict this year, there's 3 teams with genuine chances and any one of United Chelsea and City can win it.

I have gone for Man City this time, they were only 9 points of 1st place last time, and have strengthened well again.

Perhaps the champions league will be the distraction that might make them suffer league wise, but if it doesn't then its City for me.

coco22
13-08-2011, 08:31 AM
my head says man utd - thought they looked good last week and have another good crop of youngsters pushing through. think liverpool could be there too if they start the season well, would love to see them back at the top

PISTOL1875
13-08-2011, 08:42 AM
This is a tough one to predict this year, there's 3 teams with genuine chances and any one of United Chelsea and City can win it.

I have gone for Man City this time, they were only 9 points of 1st place last time, and have strengthened well again.

Perhaps the champions league will be the distraction that might make them suffer league wise, but if it doesn't then its City for me.

I admire your opinion Gary.. :wink::wink:

Love the Green
13-08-2011, 08:48 AM

Blue moom rising fast
:wink:

R'Albin
13-08-2011, 08:51 AM
My guess is Man Utd, but I can see Chelsea and Liverpool both doing well though, just because of their managers.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2011, 09:00 AM
I admire your opinion Gary.. :wink::wink:

Its not a bet i'd put much money on Pete, but if its not this season it will be soon i'd imagine?:agree:

CB_NO3
13-08-2011, 09:07 AM
Cant see past United.

hibsfan7
13-08-2011, 09:12 AM
LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL LIVERPOOL

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

Dashing Bob S
13-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Great to see that football is still an emotional game and that about a third of people are still prescribing to the 'gormless twat' theory that Liverpool will win the EPL.

Won't happen chappies.

Woody1985
13-08-2011, 09:39 AM
I want man united to win but voted for city. I'd have changed my vote to united if they'd signed a midfielder by now.

smurf
13-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Would love it to be Liverpool but can't see past Man Utd.

Going to be an interesting league as there's really quite a few that could win it.

Expecting Rain
13-08-2011, 10:48 AM
I think it is between the Manchester clubs, perhaps another season too early for City, can`t see what all the fuss is about Liverpool, Arsenal will probably and unfortunately have the same problems as last year lacking physicality and struggling at the back especially when their squad is stretched, hard to judge Chelsea the carry on during the Wilkins period may have cost them around nine points and they`re bound to lose the influence of Essien.
United are no doubt a very good and adaptable side but they will also be helped along their way by dubious decisions ie: refs scared to send their players off ect............i thought their versality was a key factor in winning the last championship, still you can`t argue with their dominance of the EPL, i hope we have new champions, ones wearing red shirts with white sleeves, can`t see it though.

HibbyAndy
13-08-2011, 10:48 AM
Man u or Chelsea unfortunately.

hibiedude
13-08-2011, 10:56 AM
Like the SPL there is only two teams chasing for the tiltle, UTD & CHELSEA forget the rest.

My Money is on UTD because Chelsea look like a tired team.

jdships
13-08-2011, 11:00 AM
My gut feeling is Manure !
BUT
Kenny Dalgliesh has made a few astute "purchases" and I have a fancy they will be , at least, in " the mix" come the end of the season
After a great deal of thought I go with Liverpool

O'Rourke3
13-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Gone for Utd as the are usually there or there about. Hate Chelsea and City for simply trying to buy their way to success - remind us of anyone? Would prefer to see Arsenal or Liverpool win it. Think, Liverpool will be a bit more pleasant to look at this year along with Spurs. Arsenal may have their worst ever finish under Wenger.

Hope the Spurs players rest well for they're first competative game next week....

hibsbollah
13-08-2011, 12:12 PM
Arsenal to surprise everyone and develop a winning mentality, coasting to the title.

Pretty Boy
13-08-2011, 12:17 PM
Man Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man City

In that order.

Hibrandenburg
13-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Sunderland. Any team that manages to squeeze out a draw with the mighty Hi-bees has to in with a shout.

O'Rourke3
13-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Sunderland. Any team that manages to squeeze out a draw with the mighty Hi-bees has to in with a shout.:not worth

Houchy
13-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Man Utd
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man City

In that order.

Someone I know who doesn't usually bet asked me what odds Arsenal were. I said, I think they're about 8/1. They then asked "what does that mean then and I replied if you put £10 on Arsenal to win the league, you will lose £10"

NOLA
13-08-2011, 02:08 PM
cant see past man u, chelsea are in decline, ageing squad, man shiity have too many new players, squad isnt settled, liverpool getting better but still a long way away, Arsenal need some good defenders and 1 fit striker to make an impact.

Onceinawhile
13-08-2011, 02:58 PM
cant see past man u, chelsea are in decline, ageing squad, man shiity have too many new players, squad isnt settled, liverpool getting better but still a long way away, Arsenal need some good defenders and 1 fit striker to make an impact. Think city have only signed three new players have they not? The same amount as united!Can't see past man u though. Solid defence and real options up top

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Watching Liverpool v Sunderland now, and Liverpool dont look any better now than last season. They might challenge for that 4th place and champion league football, but on this display they dont have a hope in hell of staking a challenge for the title.

Sir David Gray
13-08-2011, 06:06 PM
Title number 20 should be heading its way along to Old Trafford in approximately 9 months' time. :agree:

wazoo1875
13-08-2011, 06:43 PM
Man Utd again for me with City and Chelsea in a fight for second. It's only a matter of time before City win it, but not under the stewardship of Mancini.

PaulSmith
13-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Man Utd.

basehibby
13-08-2011, 07:33 PM
A season fertile with possibilities for ManUre - more of the blues await Chelsea and it'll be ****ty for city. Liverpool will hope to steal in for the title but have more chance of nicking the crown jewels.

PISTOL1875
13-08-2011, 07:49 PM
At the moment , only Manure and Man City have any chance of winning the league...

SteveHFC
13-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Liverpool :aok:

FromTheCapital
13-08-2011, 08:24 PM
I am a Spurs fan but feel their London Rivals, Chelsea, will win the league this season.

iwasthere1972
13-08-2011, 09:42 PM
I would like to see Liverpool winning it for the first time although I think the season may belong to Chelsea.

Please............not Man United again. Too many of their glory hunters about. You know who you are. :wink:

LancashireHibby
13-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Bolton. Only 37 games to go and we're sorted.

We are top of the league say we are top of the league.

sunshine1875
14-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Bolton. Only 37 games to go and we're sorted.

We are top of the league say we are top of the league.

I don't think Bolton will win the EPL, but they have an excellent manager in Coyle.

sunshine1875
16-08-2011, 12:01 PM
BUMP!!!

Did not watch Man City last night, but are they a good bet for the league?

ScottB
16-08-2011, 12:05 PM
City or United, just can't see anybody else coming close. Probably United, but Aguero and if they can keep him, Tevez, will be a fearsome proposition for City...

DH1875
16-08-2011, 07:36 PM
At the moment , only Manure and Man City have any chance of winning the league...

Spot on. I reckon a lot will depend on if City can find a buyer for Tevez, with the irony being if he stays they'll win the league.
As for the rest, they won't even be close although Chelsea should have enough for third. Arsenal? Forget about them. Now that Fabregas has gone they won't even make top 5 if they sell Nasri.

Sylar
16-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Too many "ifs" at the moment for me.

Man City looked really comfortable last night - the played some great football and Aguero, Dzeko, Villa, Toure, Richards and Kompany all looked superb, not to mention Joe Hart, who is easily the best keeper in the Premiership right now. If they can convince Tevez to stick around this season, with the strength and depth they have in reserve, I reckon they have a great shout at winning the title.

I reckon Man Utd will be the other genuine contenders, but I reckon City have a better depth than Man Utd. They'll be tested in the coming weeks without Vidic and Ferdinand at the back, particularly if Evra is still absent (I don't know if he was injured or suspended for the opener?). Their goalkeeper also looks utterly woeful, so if teams can get at their defence, they'll leak goals. Both teams have decent strike force, though United have 3 proven EPL goalscorers. They also looked very good on the wings with both Nani and Young vs West Brom.

I can't see Chelsea challenging - they looked lethargic, devoid of ideas and a lack of creativity. They have a misfiring front line and resorted to cheap penalty claims to try and overcome an average Stoke side.

For all Liverpool impressed towards the end of last season, they're another side I just can't see challenging til the end. Poor midfield, wobbly rearguard and a rather inexperienced front line, with Carroll having a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

Arsenal probably have too much business to do before they can be genuinely considered. They also need to find their bottle to win games, which I'm pretty sure is still lying in pieces somewhere near the Stretford Road.

Sir David Gray
17-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Too many "ifs" at the moment for me.

Man City looked really comfortable last night - the played some great football and Aguero, Dzeko, Villa, Toure, Richards and Kompany all looked superb, not to mention Joe Hart, who is easily the best keeper in the Premiership right now. If they can convince Tevez to stick around this season, with the strength and depth they have in reserve, I reckon they have a great shout at winning the title.

I reckon Man Utd will be the other genuine contenders, but I reckon City have a better depth than Man Utd. They'll be tested in the coming weeks without Vidic and Ferdinand at the back, particularly if Evra is still absent (I don't know if he was injured or suspended for the opener?). Their goalkeeper also looks utterly woeful, so if teams can get at their defence, they'll leak goals. Both teams have decent strike force, though United have 3 proven EPL goalscorers. They also looked very good on the wings with both Nani and Young vs West Brom.

I can't see Chelsea challenging - they looked lethargic, devoid of ideas and a lack of creativity. They have a misfiring front line and resorted to cheap penalty claims to try and overcome an average Stoke side.

For all Liverpool impressed towards the end of last season, they're another side I just can't see challenging til the end. Poor midfield, wobbly rearguard and a rather inexperienced front line, with Carroll having a lot of pressure on his shoulders.

Arsenal probably have too much business to do before they can be genuinely considered. They also need to find their bottle to win games, which I'm pretty sure is still lying in pieces somewhere near the Stretford Road.

He has a knee problem, which he picked up in the win over Man City in the Community Shield. He was only rated doubtful for the West Brom match so, although he obviously didn't make it, I don't think it's anything too serious.

I think your comments are fair though. It will be interesting to see how United cope without Ferdinand, Vidic and (maybe) Evra for the next few weeks. Most teams wouldn't be able to cope with losing three major players like them so it remains to be seen how United will deal with it. I think that with Jones and Smalling at centre half, they are possibly well covered in that position but I would admit that you can't beat experience.

Also, as you say, it appears that they're going through a few teething problems with de Gea in goal. He is still very young though for a goalkeeper and was highly rated at Atletico Madrid so hopefully he'll grow into the role.

I think Man City will certainly be up there as one of the main challengers but then, when they've spent nearly £400 million on assembling their current squad, they probably should be challenging for the major honours.

I think Chelsea have a chance but I don't see them winning it. It would appear that Abramovich's spending has dried up recently and a fair number of their first team squad is now 30+. I'm still not convinced that Fernando Torres has completely settled at Chelsea and I don't understand how he got the MOTM award on Sunday against Stoke when he barely got a single shot on target, never mind scored. When both teams keep a clean sheet, surely the MOTM has to go to a defender!

I don't consider Liverpool or Arsenal to be serious title contenders. Arsenal have shown time and time again that they don't have the stomach or the bottle to last the course and with the likes of Fabregas, Clichy and possibly Nasri all leaving the club, they'll struggle to replace them. As for Liverpool, I think they'll improve on recent seasons but I don't see players like Downing, Adam and Henderson turning them into title challengers.

Dashing Bob S
17-08-2011, 06:34 AM
He has a knee problem, which he picked up in the win over Man City in the Community Shield. He was only rated doubtful for the West Brom match so, although he obviously didn't make it, I don't think it's anything too serious.

I think your comments are fair though. It will be interesting to see how United cope without Ferdinand, Vidic and (maybe) Evra for the next few weeks. Most teams wouldn't be able to cope with losing three major players like them so it remains to be seen how United will deal with it. I think that with Jones and Smalling at centre half, they are possibly well covered in that position but I would admit that you can't beat experience.

Also, as you say, it appears that they're going through a few teething problems with de Gea in goal. He is still very young though for a goalkeeper and was highly rated at Atletico Madrid so hopefully he'll grow into the role.

I think Man City will certainly be up there as one of the main challengers but then, when they've spent nearly £400 million on assembling their current squad, they probably should be challenging for the major honours.

I think Chelsea have a chance but I don't see them winning it. It would appear that Abramovich's spending has dried up recently and a fair number of their first team squad is now 30+. I'm still not convinced that Fernando Torres has completely settled at Chelsea and I don't understand how he got the MOTM award on Sunday against Stoke when he barely got a single shot on target, never mind scored. When both teams keep a clean sheet, surely the MOTM has to go to a defender!

I don't consider Liverpool or Arsenal to be serious title contenders. Arsenal have shown time and time again that they don't have the stomach or the bottle to last the course and with the likes of Fabregas, Clichy and possibly Nasri all leaving the club, they'll struggle to replace them. As for Liverpool, I think they'll improve on recent seasons but I don't see players like Downing, Adam and Henderson turning them into title challengers.

I'm with you FH, can't see the title going anywhere but Manchester. If United signed Schneider I'd go with them, he's exactly the sort of quality, busy player they need to replace the likes of Scholes, Giggs etc in the midfield. The Vidic-Ferdinand thing, I suspect, will be an ongoing saga, as age and an injury history will catch up with them.

City definitely have the squad and the depth, but it still may be a season too early for them to gel as a team. If they don't do it this year though, I suspect they'll be stick-on's next year.

Agree with your assessments of Chelsea (too old), Arsenal (too spineless/inexperienced), Liverpool (not good enough) and would add that Spurs haven't/don't spend enough to be up there. Liverpool and Spurs, whatever they say, will have their real priorities finishing in the top four, trying to displace Arsenal and Chelsea, leaving the Manc duo to slug it out for the flag.

Chelsea are the interesting case-in-point. Like Arsenal, they seem to be a club going backwards. Abramovich has surely achieved all he's going to with that current but still seems deluded enough to think that a new manager will give him what he wants. It's like he's lost the stomach for the major team building that's required.

So United for the present, but money talks at that level and City are definitely the future.

sunshine1875
17-08-2011, 12:44 PM
Every season there are those games when a lesser team springs a surprise and sneaks a goal. I feel over the last couple of season Man U have won games that other teams would not have because they have an ability, graft or luck to turn things around. Such as 2-3 against Blackpool last season.

I feel that Arsenal and Liverpool are too fragile, possibly Chelsea too. I agree that it will be one of the Manchester teams.

Man C look a good side, but the telling factor will be when they are one nil down with twenty minutes to go on a cold December evening. Will they have the ability, graft or luck to turn it around? Time will tell.

Winston Ingram
17-08-2011, 05:13 PM
Arsenal will be lucky to finish top half

THFC6061
18-08-2011, 11:48 AM
I see 2011-12 as being two three horse races in the Premier League.

There's Manchester United, Chelsea and Manchester City battling it out for the title, while Arsenal, Liverpool and Tottenham Hotspur scrap for the fourth Champions League place.

I'll stick my neck out and go for United to retain their League title with Chelsea second and City third.

Fourth is really too close to call, but I don't think Arsenal will be able to avert their recent slide down the table, so that means a toss-up between Liverpool and Spurs.

LancsHibs
18-08-2011, 12:05 PM
:faf: Liverpool??? Seriously:shocked:

BullbreedHFC
18-08-2011, 06:24 PM
voted for Man City, think it would be good for the EPL, a break from shan u, chelski or ersenil :agree:

CFC
19-08-2011, 05:10 AM
United this year. Regarding Chelsea Im still bemused that we squandered 50 million on torres in january when the money would have been better spent strengthening our midfield, at the time of the purchase i predicted that he would be a bigger waste of money than shevkencho and sutton - thus far unfortunately ive been proven correct. Weve been too reliant on lampard the past few seasons and he cant carry us year in year out as he has done. Unless we do some business before the transfer window closes (a creative mid please Roman) no danger we will challenge for the league.