PDA

View Full Version : RB Options

spike220
12-08-2011, 09:48 AM
What are our RB options? Is VP a viable option? anyother ideas?

Apart from RB we are looking good for this season!!!

GGTTH

Steve20
12-08-2011, 09:50 AM
Seems to be Palsson, but I would prefer him playing in midfield.

bingo70
12-08-2011, 09:52 AM
Michael Hart is still on the payroll and apparently had a very good game at Blackpool.

Not my favourite player and i'd rather he wasn't here any more and we'd replaced him with someone else, however he isn't as bad as people are making out IMO and fine to have as a back up.

Purehibee_MYB
12-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Michael Hart is still on the payroll and apparently had a very good game at Blackpool.

Not my favourite player and i'd rather he wasn't here any more and we'd replaced him with someone else, however he isn't as bad as people are making out IMO and fine to have as a back up.

He's got a long term injury now though...got it in the sunderland game.

I'm sure I remember one of the youngsters being played at RB but it seems that right now the only real option is Palsson or maybe Wotherspoon

Hibs7
12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Wotherspoon played well there, that would release Palsson into his preferred position and strengthen the midfield.

fife hfc
12-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Palsson just now as I still believe we will sign a rb.

BigBamba
12-08-2011, 10:17 AM
I've been pretty impressed with Palsson at right back, and would be happy to see him play there all season. Am I the only one? :confused:

scott7_0(Prague)
12-08-2011, 10:24 AM
RB - I believe Phil Airey can play there! :agree:

Hibeescott
12-08-2011, 10:55 AM
I have a few opinions on the right back situation.

1. I wouldnt want to see Towell back and I will explain why. I like him as a player and I think he is a good prospect, but we could have had any 2 centre halfs last year and we still would have conceded a lot of goals because of the type of players we had at full back. Im a believer that you can 1 player like booth and towell in your back 4 (great going forward, but because of their age, inexperience and not having a natural defensive awareness), but you cant have 2 in your back four. Because of that I wouldnt have towell and booth in the same back 4, and I would prefer to have Booth.

2. For the same reasons as above I wouldnt play Wotherspoon at right back either. I thought he did well there, probably the best right back we have had in the last few years. But again, I wouldnt play Wotherspoon and Booth as the two full backs.

3. I believe that having Palsson ( a player with what I would call natural defensive awareness) at right back is a big part of why we are looking more solid at the back in the first few games. On numerous occasions against both ICT and Sunderland, he made some vital clearences because he was in the right place at the right time. I dont think a towell or wotherspoon would have done the same.

So......I would like to see 1 of 2 things. Either keep Palsson at right back ( As much as I like him at CM, a Ozzy and Thornhill CM sounds good), or we need to sign a RB that is strong defensively.

Hibs7
12-08-2011, 11:00 AM
CC says in the Hootsman rumours section that he is not looking to sign a RB.

Franck is God
12-08-2011, 11:43 AM
I'd like to see them persevere with Taggart at RB for a while and release Palsson into midfield.

Also once O'Hanlon is fit then maybe Stephens will be pushed to RB, he is good in the air and very comfortable on the ball and the more first team games he plays can only help his development even more. It did Hanlon no harm at all playing at LB early in his career.

Speedway
12-08-2011, 12:04 PM
Take Yer Pick:

Taggart
Wotherspoon
Murray
Palsson
Stephens
Hart (when fat)
Airey

JoeT_WasTheBest
12-08-2011, 12:07 PM
Take Yer Pick:

Taggart
Wotherspoon
Murray
Palsson
Stephens
Hart (when fat)
Airey

Hopefully he gets on the pies while he's injured then :wink:

Sodje_18
12-08-2011, 12:16 PM
He's got a long term injury now though...got it in the sunderland game.

I'm sure I remember one of the youngsters being played at RB but it seems that right now the only real option is Palsson or maybe Wotherspoon
Taggart I'd assume? :dunno:

Macaroon
12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
Im still pretty adamant that Paul Paton from thistle would be a good choice, played really well when I went down to watch them play Celtic. He is rather attacking though, falling into the points of some of the previous posters about Booth and another offensive full-back. However some of the teasing long balls he played down the line immediately had me thinking just how deadly they could be with Sproule on the receiving end. Palsson has got a great pass on him too mind

Zazu62
12-08-2011, 12:47 PM
What happened to this maloney chap?

Speedway
12-08-2011, 12:50 PM
What happened to this maloney chap?

Do you mean like, was he involved in an accident, or something?

HibbyKeith
12-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Dont think that Phil Airey has been brought here to play anywhere other than up front.

so that would leave Hart, Taggart, Wotherspoon & Palsson as our right back options.

I would personally rather see us sign a Left Back, and play callum booth at left midfield.

Zazu62
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
Do you mean like, was he involved in an accident, or something?No just in a football related kind of way haha

Speedway
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
No just in a football related kind of way haha

Well I'm not shure that shteve is in any hurry to help us and they're first choice right back was away on international duty this week so Maloney started for them.

Zazu62
12-08-2011, 01:14 PM
Well I'm not shure that shteve is in any hurry to help us and they're first choice right back was away on international duty this week so Maloney started for them. Pallson for me then

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd like to see them persevere with Taggart at RB for a while and release Palsson into midfield.

Also once O'Hanlon is fit then maybe Stephens will be pushed to RB, he is good in the air and very comfortable on the ball and the more first team games he plays can only help his development even more. It did Hanlon no harm at all playing at LB early in his career.

Of what I have seen of Taggart so far, he is nowhere near ready for the first team.

CC said today that he wont be buying a RB, as he has options for that place at the Club. Apart from the RB position I would say he has built a decent squad from his dealings in the two transfer windows.....

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2011, 01:56 PM

MH did have a good game at Blackpool, but far too injury prone....His latest injury is quite a bad one, and will keep him out of action for a fair bit....

Speedway
12-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Well I'm not shure that shteve is in any hurry to help us and they're first choice right back was away on international duty this week so Maloney started for them.

Can I just apologise for my appalling grammatical error above.

I are shocked.

down-the-slope
12-08-2011, 02:13 PM
I've been pretty impressed with Palsson at right back, and would be happy to see him play there all season. Am I the only one? :confused:

:agree: He is growing very quickly into role from loking positionally inept at first...very good against a decent EPL team

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2011, 05:55 PM
Wotherspoon has played most of his best football for us at right back imo. It would also release Palsson back into the middle too.

BEEJ
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM

Stephens was played at RB against Hamilton towards the end of last season, post-split at New Douglas Park.

Didn't look particularly comfortable in that position.

Franck is God
12-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Of what I have seen of Taggart so far, he is nowhere near ready for the first team.

CC said today that he wont be buying a RB, as he has options for that place at the Club. Apart from the RB position I would say he has built a decent squad from his dealings in the two transfer windows.....

Stephens was played at RB against Hamilton towards the end of last season, post-split at New Douglas Park.

Didn't look particularly comfortable in that position.

Sometimes you have to develop within a role, Whittaker looked all at sea when he was first played at RB. If you identify a player who has the attributes and the ability then he can play the role after some coaching and experience.

I saw Taggart play at the end of last season against Hamilton for 60 minutes and then at home in the last game, I also saw him have a poor first half against Falkirk along side Stephens and Murray but then in the second when Hanlon & O'Hanlon came on he was like a different player and one of our best performers second half.

If he doesn't play he can never improve but I think maybe he'll have to wait until O'Hanlon is fully fit and playing again, Stephens is the same age and arguably is still learning his central defensive role too.

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-08-2011, 12:17 AM
Spoony for me. Yeah he made some mistakes in that first season but on the whole he was outstanding. Has never looked the same player since that first season at right back. I reckon now that he's a wee bit older he would make less positional mistakes and develop into a good right back, jst as we changed Whitty from an attacking midfielder into a full back.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Spoony for me. Yeah he made some mistakes in that first season but on the whole he was outstanding. Has never looked the same player since that first season at right back. I reckon now that he's a wee bit older he would make less positional mistakes and develop into a good right back, jst as we changed Whitty from an attacking midfielder into a full back.

If we dont get a new right back, then i'd agree with this. I can see him developing into a decent right back, imo he does look more comfortable in that position.

he has enough pace to defend and get forward, decent in the tackle and when going forward does put in a decent cross.

I'd prefer him at full back and Palsson back in the middle, although maybe CC wants us to be bigger and stronger at the back, and the creation will come from players further up the park?

hibsfan7
13-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I SAY PLAY IVAN THERE HE WOULD BE THE FASTEST RB IN THE HISTORY OF SCOTTISH FOOTBALL

:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth:not worth

cad
13-08-2011, 09:55 AM

Hart should have been left doon they're wi the rest of the donkeys , and yes he is as bad people make out ,I saw how bad he was on far to many occasions
Vics no the answer whether he plays for his country or no in that position , Ritchie's to wee for the job IMO so we have to buy ,
who gawd knows Col will have a plan , TBH things are are on the up,he seems to be doing a bit of ducking and divin in the market that he knows well so just wait and see :wink: