PDA

View Full Version : Nish promising the earth...

TonyMontana1875
11-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Good luck Id say.

http://www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk/sport/football/hartlepool-utd/match-report/more_to_come_from_hartlepool_united_s_colin_nish_1 _3570135

Apologies if been posted already:rolleyes:

Billy
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
Good luck to Nishy, hope he is a success at Hartlepool :aok:

truehibernian
11-08-2011, 10:26 PM
Wish the big fella well. Hasn't had the best week though.....missed a pen in their penalty shoot out and went out to Sheffield United.

Sodje_18
12-08-2011, 12:53 AM
Good luck Nish, hope he does well. I was one of the people on this who didn't bash him everytime something went wrong :aok:

Franck Le God
12-08-2011, 01:54 AM
Wasn't the most technically gifted player but rarely have I seen a player more eager to do well for Hibs. A true fan who was lucky to play for his boyhood heroes but didn't quite make the cut.

The very best of luck to you Colin.

Allant1981
12-08-2011, 07:08 AM
I honestly cant see him being a success in england, he isnt quick enough or mobile enough or good enough in the air IMO to trouble any half decent defender, hopefully though he does and scores a few goals

blackpoolhibs
12-08-2011, 08:20 AM
Love their sponsors, very apt. :faf: Good luck Colin, hope you do well.:thumbsup:

ShanksSaidNo
12-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Ah, the obligatory "good luck Nishy" thread.

Can't understand the outpouring of support for one of the worst players we've had in recent times.

Auckland Hibs
12-08-2011, 10:48 AM

Can't understand the outpouring of support for one of the worst players we've had in recent times.

Harsh IMO.

Decent player who gave 100% - fair play, things didn't work out for the lad but I've seen 100+ worse players at ER and comments like your's are just ****.

marinello59
12-08-2011, 10:53 AM

He acheived the dream of playing for the club he loved. How close did you get?

Sas_The_Hibby
12-08-2011, 11:10 AM

Don't quite see how that makes him a good player.

johnrebus
12-08-2011, 11:12 AM

You obviously have'nt been watching Hibs that much in, 'recent times'.

:rolleyes:

HibeeMG
12-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Harsh IMO.

Decent player who gave 100% - fair play, things didn't work out for the lad but I've seen 100+ worse players at ER and comments like your's are just ****.

Seconded

Sas_The_Hibby
12-08-2011, 11:14 AM
Harsh IMO.

Sorry, but I disagree completely - thought he regularly gave up trying for 50/50 balls and his head went down as soon as things went wrong. And calling someone's opinions w**k just because you disagree with them is no kind of argument at all.

Liam89
12-08-2011, 11:52 AM

I have to agree with you. Towards the end (last 6 months or so) he was one of the worst players I've ever watched.

Still wish him well obviously.

marinello59
12-08-2011, 11:54 AM
I have to agree with you. Towards the end (last 6 months or so) he was one of the worst players I've ever watched.

Still wish him well obviously.

You mean during the period a vocal minority booed his every move? (Despite him being one of our own.....go figure.) Beats me why that sort of support didn't have him playing some of his best stuff.

Dinkydoo
12-08-2011, 12:05 PM
You mean during the period a vocal minority booed his every move? (Despite him being one of our own.....go figure.) Beats me why that sort of support didn't have him playing some of his best stuff.

:agree:

The man had his confidence destroyed.

007 Mickey Weir
12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
well done and good luck!

He was one of our own!! shame it didn't work out!

aliman82
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
Harsh IMO.

Absolutely, a fellow hibby who almost fufilled their dream. The fact it didn't work out wasn't due to any lack of desire on his part. Don't understand the need to stick the boot in now he's left.

Good luck in your future endeavours Nish. You'll always remain the scorer of some of the most incongruous goals I've ever seen in a Hibs shirt (long ranger against Kilmarnock being a particular favourite).

silverhibee
12-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Don't quite see how that makes him a good player.

Maybe it doesn't make him a good player, but he is decent though, i am sure wee all had dreams when wee were young about playing for our boyhood hero's, the difference is Nishy made it, alot on here never but make out they are some kind of Messi or Ferguson, that means to me that Nishy worked hard at becoming a pro- footballer and got his chance and took it when he was young and prgressed to getting contracts from several clubs during his football career and is still playing football at a good enough level, he cant be that bad if other managers are willing to give him a chance to still play football, how did all the other dreamers do, i would like to see how folk on here would have acted if they were in the big mans boots last season when he was being abused by the fans of the club he has supported all his days, it must have been soul destroying for him.

Good luck at your new club Colin.

ShanksSaidNo
12-08-2011, 01:02 PM
So in your opinion this excuses him from being gash?

marinello59
12-08-2011, 01:10 PM

He wasn't near as bad as many on hear would have you believe. And he certainly dispalyed a lot more class and dignity than many of those who abused him at every turn did. If you don't want to wish him all the best fair enough. Is there any need for the snidey digs at those who would wish the guy well though? Sometimes its better to say nothing.

ShanksSaidNo
12-08-2011, 01:17 PM
I wouldn't boo a Hibs player - its counter productive, coupled with the fact that I'd feel like a wazzock sitting booing. What gets me is that people fail to grasp where the outpouring of negativity towards him spawned from, it came from the fact that he didn't perform/was frustrating to watch. It's nothing personal - I'm absolutely convinced the 'booers' would have been more than happy to cheer his name if he was good. It's purely football related.

ShanksSaidNo
12-08-2011, 01:22 PM
He wasn't near as bad as many on hear would have you believe. And he certainly dispalyed a lot more class and dignity than many of those who abused him at every turn did. If you don't want to wish him all the best fair enough. Is there any need for the snidey digs at those who would wish the guy well though? Sometimes its better to say nothing.
He was.

If you could give some resounding justification other than 'he worked hard' I'd gladly hear it, I just dont think its possible.

marinello59
12-08-2011, 01:28 PM
He was.

If you could give some resounding justification other than 'he worked hard' I'd gladly hear it, I just dont think its possible.

And just ignore my last remark. No point in continuing this discussion is there?

Hibiza
12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Pretty poor for us but all the best just the same.

Dashing Bob S
12-08-2011, 01:32 PM
Let's face it, the man remains a great enigma. Yes, there were swathes of mediocrity and lashings of incompetence, but there were also glimpses of sheer *ucking genius.

Go Col!

ShanksSaidNo
12-08-2011, 01:37 PM
And just ignore my last remark. No point in continuing this discussion is there?
Nah, not really.

We'll agree to disagree on this one.

Baldy Foghorn
12-08-2011, 02:23 PM
Maybe it doesn't make him a good player, but he is decent though, i am sure wee all had dreams when wee were young about playing for our boyhood hero's, the difference is Nishy made it, alot on here never but make out they are some kind of Messi or Ferguson, that means to me that Nishy worked hard at becoming a pro- footballer and got his chance and took it when he was young and prgressed to getting contracts from several clubs during his football career and is still playing football at a good enough level, he cant be that bad if other managers are willing to give him a chance to still play football, how did all the other dreamers do, i would like to see how folk on here would have acted if they were in the big mans boots last season when he was being abused by the fans of the club he has supported all his days, it must have been soul destroying for him.

:aok:
Second these thoughts

Keith_M
12-08-2011, 02:31 PM
No-one mentioned the most surprising part of the article;

"By the half-hour mark he had another, again via his brow, this time rising to guide in from close range after good work from Antony Sweeney."

Colin Nish jumped for a header! Not only that, he actually reached it!

I think I need to go and lie down. :greengrin

ShanksSaidNo
12-08-2011, 02:34 PM

"By the half-hour mark he had another, again via his brow, this time rising to guide in from close range after good work from Antony Sweeney."

Ooooooh, you're in trouble.....

Keith_M
12-08-2011, 02:40 PM
Ooooooh, you're in trouble.....

Obviously, I hope he does well at his new club, he's one of us, lived the dream ...... blah-de-blah

:greengrin

Dinkydoo
12-08-2011, 05:10 PM
It's nothing personal - I'm absolutely convinced the 'booers' would have been more than happy to cheer his name if he was good. It's purely football related.

I disagree.

The abuse maybe didn't start off as being personal but it absolutely ended up that way. He became the scapegoat for the pain we were all enduring when our team went on probably the most horrific run of form we've had in the past decade.

Many others were terrible too but none were booed when being subbed or whilst on the ball.

People need an outlet at times like this - somewhere to direct their anger , someone to blame - but to dish out some of the abuse that Nish was on the receiving end of is pretty pathetic IMO and only served to compound the issue.

The fact that he has now left and folk still feel the need to slag him off speaks volumes.

weecounty hibby
12-08-2011, 06:06 PM
I disagree.

The abuse maybe didn't start off as being personal but it absolutely ended up that way. He became the scapegoat for the pain we were all enduring when our team went on probably the most horrific run of form we've had in the past decade.

Many others were terrible too but none were booed when being subbed or whilst on the ball.

People need an outlet at times like this - somewhere to direct their anger , someone to blame - but to dish out some of the abuse that Nish was on the receiving end of is pretty pathetic IMO and only served to compound the issue.

The fact that he has now left and folk still feel the need to slag him off speaks volumes.

:top marks I think his record while at us was ok and we certainly have had far far worse than him in my time as a Hibs fan. Some of the abuse he took was embarrasing.

He has moved on and so have we as a club.

Jonnyboy
12-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Interesting that Colin gets pelters from some on here and yet if anyone dares say Benji was gash towards the end of his time at ER, got moody when not picked or playing badly and naffed off at the first opportunity they'd get shot down in flames.

Big Colin may not have been the best but I still wiswh him well at Darlington

Dirkster23
12-08-2011, 07:39 PM
Interesting that Colin gets pelters from some on here and yet if anyone dares say Benji was gash towards the end of his time at ER, got moody when not picked or playing badly and naffed off at the first opportunity they'd get shot down in flames.

Big Colin may not have been the best but I still wiswh him well at Darlington

He didn't last long at Hartlepool :greengrin

Hibrandenburg
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM

Good post.

Jonnyboy
12-08-2011, 07:43 PM
He didn't last long at Hartlepool :greengrin

Oops :greengrin

nonshinyfinish
12-08-2011, 10:38 PM

I think this is where you're missing the point - the thread is not about revising history to say that Nish wasn't crap for us, just wishing him well. I'm sure you are able to understand why people would have sympathy for a player who was subjected to vitriol, vilification, vendettas and volleys of verbal abuse during his time in the green - granted, some of that was born of frustration due to his ineptitude on the pitch, but a lot of it was over the top and unwarranted. Not too difficult to see why the less lynch-mob-minded fans would rally round to defend someone in those circumstances, regardless of their footballing talent. The guy's a Hibby, and despite the fact that he proved not to be good enough to play for us, I hope he does well in his continuing football career.

TonyMontana1875
13-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Like to see my post provoked a good response so thanks to the posters. :aok:

I posted as the Pool are my English team and I was absoultely delighted for us to sign somebody like Nishy. I feel the abuse at the end of his ER career was very unfair and took alot of flack for the whole team.

I think for his size Nishy should be better in the air but hopefully the ball will be into his feet more as I feel its his strength.

Kaiser1962
13-08-2011, 09:00 AM
I think this is where you're missing the point - the thread is not about revising history to say that Nish wasn't crap for us, just wishing him well. I'm sure you are able to understand why people would have sympathy for a player who was subjected to vitriol, vilification, vendettas and volleys of verbal abuse during his time in the green - granted, some of that was born of frustration due to his ineptitude on the pitch, but a lot of it was over the top and unwarranted. Not too difficult to see why the less lynch-mob-minded fans would rally round to defend someone in those circumstances, regardless of their footballing talent. The guy's a Hibby, and despite the fact that he proved not to be good enough to play for us, I hope he does well in his continuing football career.

:agree:

frazeHFC
13-08-2011, 09:02 AM
Don't understand why you would not want a player to do well at a new club, just because he was poor for us.

Wish him all the best.

Kaiser1962
13-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Don't understand why you would not want a player to do well at a new club, just because he was poor for us.

Wish him all the best.

Thats not the reason I hope he does well. I do because he's a good guy and a hibby. I wish AOB good fortune because he is a gentleman and Hoggy the same. That they are no longer at ER, for whatever reason, is immaterial now.

blackpoolhibs
13-08-2011, 02:06 PM
Hartlepool 0 Walsall 1 after 3 minutes.

blackpoolhibs
Nish equalises :greengrin

jonty
Nish scores

Sean1875
13-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Petrie, sign him up! :greengrin

Argylehibby
13-08-2011, 04:01 PM

It would have been difficult for Nishy to jump for a header while playing for us as half the crowd were on his back at the time. He was booed by so called fans standing in the concourse before the game when the team was announced. :bitchy: Could you do your job well under such constant criticism? Maybe he wasn't a superstar but he was a lot better than some on here give him credit for and with encouragement he will score plenty more goals before he hangs up his boots.

ancient hibee
13-08-2011, 04:06 PM
Don't remember too many other players scoring hatricks in the last 4 years.

IWasThere2016
13-08-2011, 07:36 PM
Poor poor player IMHO - but good luck to him.

Hibs Class
13-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Poor poor player IMHO - but good luck to him. His career stats speak for themselves. Frustrating for us, yes. "poor, poor player" no way.

Bostonhibby
13-08-2011, 08:26 PM
His career stats speak for themselves. Frustrating for us, yes. "poor, poor player" no way.

:agree: We have had much poorer returns from players who got a helluva lot less stick than Nish.

I always liked him though it got embarassing towards the end, it wasn't his fault that the manager kept putting him out there when his form / confidence had gone - I do feel that the excessive stick he got played a part in destroying his confidence.

I think his goals over the period with us in relation to what he cost us stands up pretty well againt a few other "strikers" we have had. Certainly wish him well and thought he carried on through the stick he got with dignity. I see a little bit of the standard of football in the division he is in and he wil score a few down here..

DaveF
13-08-2011, 08:29 PM
Poor poor player IMHO - but good luck to him.

Rubbish. He had many,many faults and I wasnt slow to dish out stick when merited, but he was far from a poor poor player and i hope he does well at hartlepool. Cut out the fags though, Colin....

crash
13-08-2011, 08:30 PM
His career stats speak for themselves. Frustrating for us, yes. "poor, poor player" no way.

What? 60 goals in 8 seasons, thats 7.5 goals per season, for a centre forward. You think thats impressive?

Hibs Class
13-08-2011, 08:37 PM
What? 60 goals in 8 seasons, thats 7.5 goals per season, for a centre forward. You think thats impressive? A goal every four games. Not brilliant, but not "poor, poor". I accept that he polarises opinion, I just feel that when some people choose to put the boot in that a little bit of balance is the least he deserves.

Bostonhibby
13-08-2011, 08:43 PM
A goal every four games. Not brilliant, but not "poor, poor". I accept that he polarises opinion, I just feel that when some people choose to put the boot in that a little bit of balance is the least he deserves.

:agree: a bit of perspective required - Deek wasn't exactly hounded out for what was a por season, whatever the reason - he got 11. The season prior Nish got 12 - not poor in my opinion.

The Harp
13-08-2011, 08:55 PM
Really pleased for big Nishy that he scored on his debut. Hopefully, it'll get the fans on his side and give his confidence a boost. Probably the best thing for him and the Club that he left. Just wish he hadn't been subjected to the over the top abuse for so long before he left.

edwards
13-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Everyone has a right to their own opinion, yes he was a hibby and got a chance to live the dream.
But in his last season he hardly ever got a game why.

He had no close control.

He couldn't jump for a ball.

He spent most of his time on his ass

And he was bullied by central defenders as he had no upper body strength.

If he does well at Hartlepool so be it he didn't leave me with fond memories of his technical ability and outstanding goalscoring record. :yawn:

madabouthibs
14-08-2011, 12:43 AM
I dunno why some people bother going to football really.....
Reckon the boo-brigade cost us more points last season than Colin Nish did. :agree:
Pity we can't just pass some "supporters" onto another club.

Albion Hibs
14-08-2011, 12:57 AM
Well done Nishy, the thread is titled you promise the earth and you bagged one this weekend.

I am sure Nishy is not sitting there worried about what the eres on Hibs net have to say about him, but probably rather delighted he is away from hibs, a sad, sad, sad reflection of some of our support.

All the best Nishy, it wont be long till some of the twats on here are talking about getting you back!

lapsedhibee
14-08-2011, 07:17 AM
It would have been difficult for Nishy to jump for a header while playing for us as half the crowd were on his back at the time. He was booed by so called fans standing in the concourse before the game when the team was announced. :bitchy: Could you do your job well under such constant criticism? Maybe he wasn't a superstar but he was a lot better than some on here give him credit for and with encouragement he will score plenty more goals before he hangs up his boots.

The abuse he got was ridiculous but I don't think that caused him to struggle in the air - it just wasn't his game to be a bustling aerial striker. The disappointing thing for me about Nishy was that when it was obvious that the incumbent wanted him to be that striker, he never got any better at it. In particular, the repeated falling on the ground appealing to the ref - I don't think he ever, ever got a free kick out of that, did he, despite the 8328057038134 attempts? Even after the incumbent publicly called him out for it, he continued to do it. Good luck at Hartlepool, Nishy, but won't miss your lack of a learning curve.

scoopyboy
14-08-2011, 07:47 AM
I saw Nish's goal last night and it was a freak goal to say the least.

The Hartlepool goalie kicked the ball the length of the park and the other goalie struggled to keep the ball out, leaving a tap in for Colin virtually on the line.

Hibrandenburg
14-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Jeez! Give the guy a break now FFS!

Good luck Colin.

eastmainsmsh
14-08-2011, 09:40 AM
Nishy might not be blessed with the skills of a Brazilian ...However with injurys and changes of managers maybe moving to Hartlepool will bring his confidence back cos when he is on song he will score goals

Hibs Class
14-08-2011, 10:13 AM
I saw Nish's goal last night and it was a freak goal to say the least.

The Hartlepool goalie kicked the ball the length of the park and the other goalie struggled to keep the ball out, leaving a tap in for Colin virtually on the line.

It was a freak goal, but good strikers always follow the ball on on the off chance of something happening and Nish got his reward for doing so.

leither17
14-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Don't remember too many other players scoring hatricks in the last 4 years.

Clayton Donaldson but dont think that was in 4 years another player who was loved by us:wink: