PDA

View Full Version : Hasselbaink loses appeal

CallumLaidlaw
11-08-2011, 06:23 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14450702.stm

Will miss hibs game. Not a bad thing after the way he played against us last time!

Sir David Gray
11-08-2011, 06:29 PM
No surprise there.

There was never any realistic chance that he would win this appeal. He was silly to lash out in the way that he did and whilst it wasn't the worst bit of aggression I've ever seen on a football pitch, I can fully understand why the referee sent him off.

AFKA5814_Hibs
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
He ran Hibs ragged last season and has started well with St Mirren, good news that he's out.

PC Stamp
11-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Have to apologise to Paul Smith who called this right. Don't have my updated disciplinary handbook yet but red cards for violent conduct whilst still carrying a 12 point tarriff now come with an automatic TWO match ban. 2 yellows leading to red still is only one with the points total equivalent to the tarriff of the two bookings. Good spot Paul.

PaulSmith
11-08-2011, 07:49 PM
Have to apologise to Paul Smith who called this right. Don't have my updated disciplinary handbook yet but red cards for violent conduct whilst still carrying a 12 point tarriff now come with an automatic TWO match ban. 2 yellows leading to red still is only one with the points total equivalent to the tarriff of the two bookings. Good spot Paul.

PC, I'd check again as sure that the outdated points system had been booted into touch.

sleeping giant
11-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Well thats that cleared up then !

hibeedonald
11-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Great news, personally think he's a real threat.

PC Stamp
12-08-2011, 12:23 AM
PC, I'd check again as sure that the outdated points system had been booted into touch.

The points have indeed gone Paul. I didn't read the two yellows making a red bit fully and from what I did read, I assumed that it hadn't changed. :tsk tsk: As best I can interpret it, here's what seems to be the new system's workings.

Under the old system, you had to accumulate 18 penalty points, which was a minimum of 6 yellow cards (but possibly more depending on the offences committed), with any suspension starting 7 days after the match in which the points threshold was breached. The new system is now 6 yellow cards (no matter what the offence) with suspensions starting 14 days after the threshold is breached. For cup competitions this will be 2 yellow cards for the competition (3 for those entering in round 1-3 of the Scottish).

Red cards, which previously resulted in a one game ban and 12 points, is now a two game ban when the red card is for violent conduct, serious foul play or spitting .... with one game for the other red cards. The number of games increase by one for each red card received. Red cards in a cup game which carry a two match ban such as for violent conduct will I assume continue to apply to the next two games immediately following the red card irrespective of the competition as was the case before. Other less serious reds will see a one match ban apply to the next game in that particular cup competition. Doesn't make that one clear.

Finally, suspended players and officials will not be allowed to enter the dressing rooms, tunnel area or technical area. This was previously only the technical area and brings it more in line with UEFA regulations.

Simples.

sunshine1875
12-08-2011, 12:14 PM
:hmmm: I wonder if the appeal would have been thrown out if it was a Rantic player that was appealing!

Gettin' Auld
12-08-2011, 12:23 PM
:hmmm: I wonder if the appeal would have been thrown out if it was a Rantic player that was appealing!
They wouldn't have got a red card for that offence though........:wink:

Keith_M
12-08-2011, 03:13 PM

I can't think of any Rantic players I've found particularly appealing.

3pm
12-08-2011, 06:40 PM
I managed to see it once and it didn't look a red to me. Was it?!

Iggy Pope
12-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I managed to see it once and it didn't look a red to me. Was it?!

Nah. Looked more like he was protecting himself as he was expecting a clattering from behind as he got towards the box and the United man went down as if he had been bricked. Never violent conduct and another example of why common sense and knowledge of the game will never be applied by our refs.

Of course, it looks like a great decision if he misses the game against us........

NadeAteMyLunch!
13-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Tricky one, I personally thought a yellow, others I was watching with thought a red. I also personally think we should have tried to sign him in the summer, said that the day after he ran us ragged at ER. He did however say when he signed for the saints that one other SPL club were after him. Wouldnt overly surprise me if it was us tbh.

O'Rourke3
13-08-2011, 12:20 PM
I thought he gave the ref no choice, trying to protect yourself at head height or waist height, choosing head and letting the defender get hit in the face/throat. Same as a well timed two footed challenge, or taking your top off, or talking back. Footballers never seem to learn.

While he ran us ragged at the last game, this is how he started last season and quickly went off the boil. Admittedly he finished the season well but it could be argued he was trying for a contract. Lets face it every time we play anyone there's usually one player in their team you think "could do with him in our team" When we've gone for these guys they've never turned out to be the signing we thought we were getting.