PDA

View Full Version : Finally! (well almost!)

Russdoorsfan71
10-08-2011, 10:18 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14482418.stm

I'm in no way a Barca or Gooner fan, but FFS just get it over and done with!

For me he is a vastly over rated player as it is and the situation has begun to bore me to tears!

That is all.

HH81
10-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Over rated? Name me a better premiership player in his postion?

Thanks

hibsboy90
10-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Can't see him getting into the first choice Barca side, but still a great signing, and will reduce the likes of Iniesta and Xavi getting burnout.

Hibs90
10-08-2011, 10:29 PM
Never performed last year anyway. Who's place would he take in the Barca team?

Pretty Boy
10-08-2011, 10:39 PM
He's the long term replacement for Xavi. Xavi has been struggling with a few long term injuries for a couple of seasons now and has made it clear he won't play on injured and risk trouble in the future.

Fabregas is a very good player who has become demotivated playing in a team that wins nothing. Barcelona is a whole new challenge and being surrounded by class will bring out the best in him.

Russdoorsfan71
10-08-2011, 10:43 PM

Thanks

Luca Modric?

The point of my post wasn't to say whether there are better players than him or not. But simply to state that I think he is over rated.

Like other posters are saying he will struggle to get into the Barca team and IMO will be a squad player until Xavi or Iniesta are injured or rested.

He is a good player, but I think that the press hold him in higher regard than his performances over the last 2 seasons merit. Injuries aside he has hardly been a stand out for some time now.

jacomo
10-08-2011, 10:50 PM
He's the long term replacement for Xavi. Xavi has been struggling with a few long term injuries for a couple of seasons now and has made it clear he won't play on injured and risk trouble in the future.

Fabregas is a very good player who has become demotivated playing in a team that wins nothing. Barcelona is a whole new challenge and being surrounded by class will bring out the best in him.

:agree: The fact that he will also be returning home will no doubt help him too. He might not get a regular place next season but surely a key long term signing for Barca.

.Sean.
10-08-2011, 10:52 PM
Perhaps Sergio Busqets will be dropped to accomodate and Fabregas will operate in a deeper role?

Sylar
10-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Great signing for Barcelona and will complement what is already by far the best midfield/attack force in global football.

I can't see Barca changing to a 4-4-2 to accommodate him, but he might well take Sergio Busquets' role alongside Xavi and Iniesta, either that, or he'll serve as a rotating replacement.

£35 million, plus the £7 million for Clichy and the reported £22+ million they'll receive for Nasri if they sell him and Arsenal have made a hell of a lot of money this summer. With no pressing rush to run out and replace Fabregas (as they have very able deputies in Wilshere and Ramsey), I can't see a spending spree, unlike some of their rivals.

Pretty Boy
10-08-2011, 10:59 PM
Perhaps Sergio Busqets will be dropped to accomodate and Fabregas will operate in a deeper role?

Busquets will play a lot of his football at centre back next season.

Puyol isn't getting any younger and is starting to be bothered by injuries. Busquets was originally a centre back and is very competent in that position.

Barca are coming very close to going into transition. I said above about Xavi being closer to the end of his career than the beginning, Puyol likewise, Abidal will likely move on fairly soon too. Don't be surprised to see a few more big signings of youngish players in the next few windows by Barca as they look to keep building on the phenomenal success of the last few years. It's already begun with the likes of Fabregas and Affelay.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
10-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Can't see him getting into the first choice Barca side, but still a great signing, and will reduce the likes of Iniesta and Xavi getting burnout.

Succession planning.

Fabregas was wasted in the premiership.

leither17
10-08-2011, 11:09 PM
Over rated? Name me a better premiership player in his postion?ThanksLampard granted he is a lot older

hibee92
10-08-2011, 11:18 PM

Thanks

last season? wilshere.

Sylar
10-08-2011, 11:21 PM
Busquets will play a lot of his football at centre back next season.

Puyol isn't getting any younger and is starting to be bothered by injuries. Busquets was originally a centre back and is very competent in that position.

Barca are coming very close to going into transition. I said above about Xavi being closer to the end of his career than the beginning, Puyol likewise, Abidal will likely move on fairly soon too. Don't be surprised to see a few more big signings of youngish players in the next few windows by Barca as they look to keep building on the phenomenal success of the last few years. It's already begun with the likes of Fabregas and Affelay.

But they have a lot of able deputies to already step in and fill these roles. Abidal, although a cracking player, wasn't missed in his absence, as Maxwell stepped up and was fantastic at LB last season. Busquets (as you point out) is a comfortable CB and Andreu Fontas (who also filled in for Abidal on occasion but was primarily a youth player) will also be in the picture.

I'm a bit puzzled to note that they've sold both Bojan and Jeffren, both of whom looked like they would be big players in Barca's future, but evidently not.

With Alexander Hleb returning to the club and Mascherano also comfortable in MF, they're well covered there and their options up front are so multiple, it's just scary!

I reckon they're still a bit away from "transition" yet.

Pretty Boy
10-08-2011, 11:26 PM
But they have a lot of able deputies to already step in and fill these roles. Abidal, although a cracking player, wasn't missed in his absence, as Maxwell stepped up and was fantastic at LB last season. Busquets (as you point out) is a comfortable CB and Andreu Fontas (who also filled in for Abidal on occasion but was primarily a youth player) will also be in the picture.

I'm a bit puzzled to note that they've sold both Bojan and Jeffren, both of whom looked like they would be big players in Barca's future, but evidently not.

With Alexander Hleb returning to the club and Mascherano also comfortable in MF, they're well covered there and their options up front are so multiple, it's just scary!

I reckon they're still a bit away from "transition" yet.

Transistion may have been the wrong word. What i meant is the settled team of the last few seasons may start to have a few new names appearing and they will buy as and when is neccesary.

Regarding Jeffren and Bojan i'm sure there is a clause in both deals that allows Barca to buy them back at a set price after 2 years and another price after 3. Likewise with Oriol Romeu who was sold to Chelsea.

MWHIBBIES
10-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Strange how people are saying he is overated and didn't perform last season. 9 goals and 17 assists isn't to bad IMO and if a Hibs midfielder got that we would all be saying he was a world beater.

IWasThere2016
10-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Spot on!

frazeHFC
10-08-2011, 11:52 PM
Great player, and a great signing. Delighted we will not hear more of it every season. :thumbsup: He is way off Iniesta and Xavi imo but they are irreplacable and Fabregas is the next best thing.

Although i would rather see Thiago Alacantara who looks class playing, where does this leave him?

LamontHFC©
11-08-2011, 12:09 AM
Lampard granted he is a lot older

You dreaming? He's been past it last two seasons.

IWasThere2016
11-08-2011, 12:18 AM

Spot on!

Shrekko
11-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Spot on!

You feel pretty strongly on this one eh?

Haymaker
11-08-2011, 01:12 AM

Xavi has a degenerating hip injury and wont be playing for much longer. Fabregas will slip in and out next season and then take over.

HH81
11-08-2011, 05:41 AM
Luca Modric?

The point of my post wasn't to say whether there are better players than him or not. But simply to state that I think he is over rated.

Like other posters are saying he will struggle to get into the Barca team and IMO will be a squad player until Xavi or Iniesta are injured or rested.

He is a good player, but I think that the press hold him in higher regard than his performances over the last 2 seasons merit. Injuries aside he has hardly been a stand out for some time now.
I watched play last season and he is a fantastic player. Lets put it this way he only played last 15 mins and was still man of the match. He will be loss to the premier league.

lapsedhibee
11-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Great signing for Barcelona and will complement what is already by far the best midfield/attack force in global football.

I can't see Barca changing to a 4-4-2 to accommodate him, but he might well take Sergio Busquets' role alongside Xavi and Iniesta, either that, or he'll serve as a rotating replacement.

£35 million, plus the £7 million for Clichy and the reported £22+ million they'll receive for Nasri if they sell him and Arsenal have made a hell of a lot of money this summer. With no pressing rush to run out and replace Fabregas (as they have very able deputies in Wilshere and Ramsey), I can't see a spending spree, unlike some of their rivals.

Wilshere and Ramsey nowhere near Fabregas's standard yet, and may never be. Wonderful player lost to the premiership. :boo hoo:

Beefster
11-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Mrs Beefster, life-long Gooner and ex-Highbury ST holder, has gone into mourning as of this morning. This is almost up there with the day Henry left.

Dashing Bob S
11-08-2011, 07:02 AM

Nutshell.

down-the-slope
11-08-2011, 07:42 AM
surprised no one has menioned the fee £30m + add ons..for your captain and international who has 4 yeras left on his contract?

that is EPL terms is dross...I assume He has said its only club he would leave for...and thats all they will pay.....

they will spend £20 million of that just to get one of the very over priced / rated CH's they are quoted to be after....

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2011, 07:50 AM
Fabregas imo is a fantastic player, and will be a great signing for Barca. He's still relatively young, and will play at the top with Barca for many many years. Again imo he's the best midfielder in England, well was if he leaves?

Those who say he was not interested last season, are way off the mark. He was injured too much, and had a stop start season. He'd play for any team in England, and be 1st choice on the team sheet too.

Arsenal will miss him badly.

Wilson
11-08-2011, 08:11 AM
Mrs Beefster, life-long Gooner and ex-Highbury ST holder, has gone into mourning as of this morning. This is almost up there with the day Henry left. Fabrice?

lapsedhibee
11-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Fabrice?

Sad, sad day when Smith left the yams.

alexhibsfan
11-08-2011, 09:45 AM
a bit off topic but hey! aboout neymar http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3745309/Roberto-Di-Matteo-watches-Neymar.html

HH81
11-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Fabregas imo is a fantastic player, and will be a great signing for Barca. He's still relatively young, and will play at the top with Barca for many many years. Again imo he's the best midfielder in England, well was if he leaves?

Those who say he was n ot interested last season, are way off the mark. He was injured too much, and had a stop start season. He'd play for any team in England, and be 1st choice on the team sheet too.

Arsenal will miss him badly.

Something wrong here, I'm agreeing with your posts far too much but this is spot on.

HibbyAndy
11-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Wilshere is a ready made replacement to replace Fabregas, In all honesty Arsenal havent had the best out of CF for a good 2 seasons now anyway, Samir Nasri IMO is a far bigger loss, BUT , Id punt Nasri on now as he is out of contract next summer anyway, Take the 15-16 Million banded about now and strengthen the team.

35M plus for Fabregas and money for Nasri and Arsenal HAVE to add world class quality to there team, If i was a gooners fan id be very worried about signings like Chamberlain, And chasing the likes of Scott Dann from Birmingham..60 thousand Arsenal fans demand and want better, And quite rightly so. I think Arsenal have added 10% onto season ticket also, Spend the money Wenger and bring in world class players and drop this signing kids policy.

FromTheCapital
11-08-2011, 01:34 PM
last season? wilshere.
Last season, yes! Better player, no!

PeterboroHibee
11-08-2011, 01:43 PM
Losing two of your best players is never a good thing, but if it allows the club to go and buy the players that will actually allow them to compete in the Premiership (defenders who can defend, midfielders with a bit of fight and toughness about them and strikers who dont get injured all the time) then it is a good thing for Arsenal.

Wenger needs to buy experience, who dont fold under the pressure when things are going tough, but I still cant see him making those signings. £15m or whatever it was for an 17 year old League 1 player is ridiculous, they have plenty of players like him already at Arsenal, its the defensive side of things that are causing Arsenal to be a laughing stock every year.

MWHIBBIES
11-08-2011, 02:14 PM
In all honesty Arsenal havent had the best out of CF for a good 2 seasons now anyway.Fabregas has actualy been very good in the last 2 season. He carried Arsenal in 2009/10 with 19 goals and 19 assist in only 36 games and was great last season when he wasn't injured.

lapsedhibee
11-08-2011, 02:17 PM
its the defensive side of things that are causing Arsenal to be a laughing stock every year.

Aye, that's the way I always think of Arsenal. A laughing stock. Just like Hearts. Hearts and Arsenal, laughing stocks. :agree:

gunnerhibee
11-08-2011, 02:27 PM
Aye, that's the way I always think of Arsenal. A laughing stock. Just like Hearts. Hearts and Arsenal, laughing stocks. :agree:

You are joking aren't you????

lapsedhibee
11-08-2011, 02:40 PM
You are joking aren't you????

Hearts and Arsenal, like two completely dissimilar things in a pod. (c. E Blackadder)

Scotthibs1875
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Cesc Fabregas is Arsenal's most influential player by a mile. If he is playing well then Arsenal are too.

Man City are in a smililar position in that Tevez is there most influential and like fabregas wants away.

Without these two players they are both left with a big hole in their team.

blackpoolhibs
11-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Cesc Fabregas is Arsenal's most influential player by a mile. If he is playing well then Arsenal are too.

Man City are in a smililar position in that Tevez is there most influential and like fabregas wants away.

Without these two players they are both left with a big hole in their team.

:agree: If there's a better player in the EPL who links play from defence to attack, i have yet to see him?